Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints (25947 Views)

#ENDSARS: Elderly Woman Slapped By Police For Pointing At Police Station / Chukwuka Utazi Says There Are 60 Police Checkpoints Between Lagos And Onitsha / Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lonelydora: 3:10pm On Mar 25, 2019
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?

144 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Niyeal(m): 3:12pm On Mar 25, 2019
You can make calls at police check point but don't try it wit army check point

152 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 25, 2019
Bros.
For the love of your papa and mama and your nuclear family I beg you just obey. These people feed on fear. When them see say you dey fear dem go free you. I used to be the I know my right kind of guy until one of them shot at me. As in point blank. The thing enter my agbada. How e take miss me I'll never know. Wetin I remember next be say like two army men dey tell me say oga drop the gun. Please oga. Rage took over me totally. I collect the man gun use am pound him head like fufu. Question is what if he never missed. Or what if them decide to shoot me call me robber.
Next time just do like mumu make them carry their wahala dey go. Na lazy man dey sabi tell story o. Brave men are always the subject of the story.

296 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Sirmuel1(m): 3:47pm On Mar 25, 2019
Just obey them and go your way peacefully. Don't argue with anyone at checkpoints.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lonelydora: 10:07pm On Mar 25, 2019
Sirmuel1:
Just obey them and go your way peacefully. Don't argue with anyone at checkpoints.

The me in me hates intimidation

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by OddsIsland(m): 5:12am On Mar 26, 2019
They always want to show powers oooo

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Nuelito: 8:00am On Aug 27, 2021
E fit dey

But just know it that Vuum better pass statement

Saying Please,I am sorry will never take anything away from your body.

Just say it and save yourself from a lotta trouble in dx life...I am a living witness of the wonders of the word(s) "I am sorry" it have saved me a lot even when I no dey wrong seff

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by cbrezy(m): 8:00am On Aug 27, 2021
I've witnessed a man walking with two ladies and was on a call passing through an Army checkpoint an Army man collect the phone and asked him to go since then I don't dare to even put earphone on my ear when passing an Army checkpoint to avoid loosing my phone sad

But you're lucky it's police and not Army.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by DenreleDave(m): 8:00am On Aug 27, 2021
angry angry
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Sonnobax15(m): 8:01am On Aug 27, 2021
grin
I don't really know..

The first time I heard of this shiit was when I was in Niger state,that was 2016.....I wasn't aware of it and when I had a call from my sister (I was sitting at the front seat),I took it and immediately the driver told Me to cut the call because we were approaching an army checkpoint..

That was the first time I knew there was something like that..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by SecretReporter(f): 8:01am On Aug 27, 2021
You can't try that in Afghanistan, so why will u try it in Nigerianistan

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Bornsinner7: 8:01am On Aug 27, 2021
The question is "is there any law banning calls at checkpoints of policemen"??

All of Una begin they advice the guy say make him say sorry and move on..

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that all of us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..

150 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by SouthSouth1914: 8:01am On Aug 27, 2021
Even there is no law in Nigeria. Know this and know peace

12 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by SEGLIZ: 8:01am On Aug 27, 2021
yes, there is. the one made by the check point officials.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Bar1941(m): 8:01am On Aug 27, 2021
Am not sure but I think the police at the check point will not like that, they may think you want to report them taking their forceful entitlement (bribe).

9 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by xcesspaschal(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
I lost my samsung A8 to soldiers at a checking point.....sad.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by potent5(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
There's none o.

The police are insincere and have a lot to hide, that's why they are afraid of people making calls there or having their phones in the police stations.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Seniorwriter(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
NONE existing!
Just that we have a very useless security outfit.....they act very unprofessional because they feel too highly of themselves....
Forgetting they are employed to secure the civil citizens and their salary comes from the same citizens tax payment.

@SENIORWRITER

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Sergio101(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
My brother this is the exact thing we are seeing now in amawbia-eke awka road.
Combine forces of police, army and other forces blocked the road for over 2 months now. so you have to treck to the other side before getting keke. Now if you mistakenly answer call wile trecking.....problem.....bye bye to your phone.
If you have earphones......problem.
In my own sight the have seized someone's phone and forced the person to frog-jump.
Mostly Hausa people in Army, because one has interrogated me, asking me questions like......do you belong in Biafra society, what's the meaning of ESN??, Do you like ESN??. I simply told him that I hear of them only in news and also I told him the meaning of ESN.
And from his accent.....he is Hausa.
After all this somebody will tell me to believe in one Nigeria.....Bleep!!!

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by cyberdurable(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
Am waiting for who will answer the question, and not some slave answers,... is their a law against it Abi na same fear fear in us?

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Legalcriminal: 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
2019 post finally on FP.

Never give up you can blow anytime

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
It is not good to be using phones at checkpoints.

Phones are sometimes used to detonate bombs.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Emmexguy123: 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
Yes and that is Nigerian police and Army laws.
They always have too much power and authority over innocent civilians but not against bandits and deadly groups in the Nigeria

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by DuduParaPara: 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
Nothing.

Just show off to massage their ego.

You know most of them are not that educated so inferiority complex comes in too to play a great role in shaping their mentality.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by zhunterz: 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
The last time I checked, there is no law on that. But, prevention they said is better than cure.

Na person wey dey alive dey give life witness account.

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Comedian2019: 8:02am On Aug 27, 2021
The law of lawlessness.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by money121(m): 8:03am On Aug 27, 2021
Ok
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Skillsnigeria: 8:03am On Aug 27, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Afritop(m): 8:03am On Aug 27, 2021
There is no law. Police are conscious of their safety.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by FutureIsFemale(f): 8:03am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?
No law.

But there's in Military checkpoints.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Kaduna1stson: 8:03am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
It is not good to be using phones at checkpoints.

Phones are sometimes used to detonate bombs.

Such a dumb reply?

Countless other devices like watches, remote controls and switches can also be used to detonate bomb. Why stopping people from using phones while allowing people to wear watches.

The real reason is to stop people from taking picture and video of exchange of money collected at checkpoints.

36 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Militants Invade Customs Base In Akwa Ibom; Kill One, Seize Rifles / Woman Detained For Tearing Maid’s Private Part With Razor / University Student beaten to death Over Girlfriend In Jigawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.