Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:09 AM

Murano Transmission Problem - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Murano Transmission Problem (18096 Views)

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problem / Volkswagen Golf MK 4 Automatic Transmission Problem / Nissan Murano 2003 Transmission Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 25, 2019
OgaKazeem:

its impossible to give a definite solution remotely. my response is based purely on most likely causes of this fault according to manufacturer repair information...however my money is on diagnosing the circuit first...as a tech

to your question, the TPS is attached the electric throttle actuator also called the throttle body. a quick check on google will surely help U with the location.
Yes, as a tech that's what's expected of you.
As for the TPS, yes it's an integral part of the TB, but it has no separate connector as you earlier posted. The important point here, however, is that in searching for the TPS OP and his mechs have been looking in the wrong direction.

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by alphaNomega: 7:17am On Jul 26, 2019
hbid:
The Nissan workshop is at Karimu Kotun, not Adeola Odeku. I didnt mean Alliance Motors, there is another good place at Karimu Kotun.
You can get the CVT Fluid at the Nissan workshop for about 34,000 naira(4litres).
Hope this helps.

What is inside this oil that it would cost 34k in 2010? Nigerians love extorting each other.
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 8:23am On Jul 26, 2019
Ogakazeem actually spoke my mind .
The greatest knowledge gap that auto technician are currently facing not only Nigeria but worldwide are "detail knowleage of principle of how things works and it's relationship to the electrical architect of the vehicle and even to the extent of intermodule communication ".
Scanning a vehicle is just small fraction of many test procedure to diagnose simple fault like this just like a what typical stestscope to a Doctor ,which is to give clue to the faulty system but cannot tell u to minute detail the fault., further test is required to get to the root of the problem .
Scan tool is purely a data retriever and test tool and is just like a sidekick to a superhero and not superhero itself .You are the superhero that will analysis the issue base on data received from scanner and other diagnosis tools like your Multimeter , Labcope and most importantly armed electrical foundational knowledge of what transpired in the background of the system .If you are armed with the right knowledge ,there is no limit to extent of Kazeemisation of a messed up vehicle you cannot undertake its restoration project to manufacturer specifications and even there is nothing stopping you for taking on any brand of vehicle and year as early as obd1 vehicle .
You don't have a business even repairing a toy car if cannot understand to detail the electrical circuit and signalling process that goes in background of any system cos you are going to be goofing around changing parts based solely on what your scanner DTC is telling you which doesn't differentiate you from a typical Kazeem despite investing in millions of naira professional scan tool.
Also,I will like to add to this piece that it is professionally wrong to be advising people that have issues with their car to be changing parts based on the scan DTC they give ,it is amateurish and not professional cos a lot of variable are involved which you won't have info about unless u actually see the vehicle physically and perform the needed test .
That you have guess right before doesn't apply to all situations .We can give point out area for them to concentrate their effort on but not to give advice on part changing .
Let me dive on how a typical architecture of electronic type throttle systems assembly of vehicle and Nissan peculiarities and the areas the ops will need to concentrate effort on .

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 9:45am On Jul 26, 2019
A typical electronic type throttle assembly is a 6 pin terminal connector and takes all it output and input from the engine computer (as opposed to the cable type that is 3 pin ) and what each stands for are summarised below:
1. Pin 2 = Costant 5 v reference signal (ecu power feed)
2. pin 5 = 0 v low reference single (ecu signal ground)
3.pin 1= TPS1 first input signal to the ecu (TPS signal 1 to ecu ) and theoretical ranges from 0-5v
4 Pin 3 =TPS2 second input second to ecu (TPS signal 2 to ecu ) and ranges from 0-5v (theory)
5. Pin 5 and 6 = PWM signal to drive the throttle motor to open and close (ECU actuator output signal)

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 10:10am On Jul 26, 2019
Let now explain the principle of operation
1. When a car user depress the throttle system ,there is a APP(acceleration position Signal assembly ) that record the angle of depress and send the signal electrically to the ecu .
2. ECU takes the signal and send it as output signal to actuate the throttle motor (pin 5 and 6) accordingly to correspond to the position of angle of the APP to depict the depresing angle of the user .Kindly note that this signal cannot be read by simple multimeter cos it a varying signal (pWM ) you will need a labscope to view it .
3. The ecu will need to know the corresponding angle of opening of the commanded throttle motor to know if the throttle motor actually carries out the command successful and so it will need to make use of the TPS1 and TPS2 as feedback to know this
So TPS1 and TPS2 will now send the corresponding input signal to the ecu to reflect the true throttle angle of the throttle motor .
I will now explain the troubleshooting in subsequent page .

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 10:17am On Jul 26, 2019
To continue this piece
Pls click "like " if I am making sense or click "share" if I am boring you so that I can stop right now grin.Beside I want to go back to work(customer are waiting)
Below is the view of the terminal connector of the throttle assembly .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 26, 2019
autologic:
A typical electronic type throttle assembly is a 6 pin terminal connector and takes all it output and input from the engine computer (as opposed to the cable type that is 3 pin ) and what each stands for are summarised below:
1. Pin 2 = Costant 5 v reference signal (ecu power feed)
2. pin 5 = 0 v low reference single (ecu signal ground)
3.pin 1= TPS1 first input signal to the ecu (TPS signal 1 to ecu ) and theoretical ranges from 0-5v
4 Pin 3 =TPS2 second input second to ecu (TPS signal 2 to ecu ) and ranges from 0-5v (theory)
5. Pin 5 and 6 = PWM signal to drive the throttle motor to open and close (ECU actuator output signal)
All well, though there's always a danger in using generic sources as you've done.
For this vehicle
Pin 1 is the ECU feed
Pin 2 is for TPS 2
Pin 4 is for TPS 1
Pin 5 is for Ground
3 & 6 are for the drives of the throttle motor

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 10:22am On Jul 26, 2019
Costee:

All well, though there's always a danger in using generic sources as you've done.
For this vehicle
Pin 1 is the ECU feed
Pin 2 is for TPS 2
Pin 4 is for TPS 1
Pin 5 is for Ground
3 & 6 are for the drives of the throttle motor
What i put forward is not generic ,source is excusively Nissan Pathfinder 2008 service Information hi .
I deal with service Information not generic and my signal testing will never be accurate unless I am be guided by Nissan dealership service Information
Anybody with similar can use terminal info below to confirm .

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 26, 2019
And speaking of the throttle motor drives (pins 3&6) in the ECM, I'm wondering whether the OP posted the entire error codes. If for example the drives are burnt in the ECM the car would have no acceleration at all, which is the symptom under reference. In which case a new ECM will be needed.

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 10:31am On Jul 26, 2019
Costee:
And speaking of the throttle motor drives (pins 3&6) in the ECM, I'm wondering whether the OP posted the entire error codes. If for example the drives are burnt in the ECM the car would have no acceleration at all, which is symptom under reference. In which case a new ECM will be needed.
Point of correction ,pin 5 and 6 are the throttle motor drives not pin 3 which is TPS2

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 26, 2019
autologic:

What i put forward is not generic ,source is excusively Nissan Pathfinder 2008 service Information hi .
I deal with service Information not generic and my signal testing will never be accurate unless I am be guided by Nissan dealership service Information
Anybody with similar can use terminal info below to confirm .
But we are not talking of 2008 Pathfinder here. Yes, the same principles, but different circuit configuration. I've not checked but if we were to search for the part numbers of the TB for the two vehicles I'm sure they won't be the same.

2 Likes

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by autologic: 10:38am On Jul 26, 2019
Costee:

But we are not talking of 2008 Pathfinder here. Yes, the same principles, but different circuit configuration. I've not checked but if we were to search for the part numbers of the TB for the two vehicles I'm sure they won't be the same.
Sorry my mistake I thought the vehicle under consideration is Nissan Pathfinder ( I just finished one recently grin ) ,it actually a Nissan Murano 2005 ,I will make the necessary correction accordingly .
Yes it same principle of operation
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 26, 2019
autologic:

Sorry my mistake I thought the vehicle under consideration is Nissan Pathfinder ( I just finished one recently grin ) ,it actually a Nissan Murano 2005 ,I will make the necessary correction accordingly .
One more correction: it's Murano 2006 grin
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by OgaKazeem(m): 10:46am On Jul 26, 2019
Costee:

Yes, as a tech that's what's expected of you.
As for the TPS, yes it's an integral part of the TB, but it has no separate connector as you earlier posted. The important point here, however, is that in searching for the TPS OP and his mechs have been looking in the wrong direction.
and where did i say the tps has its own separate connector?
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 26, 2019
OgaKazeem:

and where did i say the tps has its own separate connector?
How is this statement of yours to be understood:
"1. APPS sensor, circuit and connector
2. TPS sensor, circuit and connector
3. electric throttle control actuator circuit and connector

also ensure U perform a relearn everytime you disconnect the APPS, TPS or ETCA"
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by OgaKazeem(m): 10:55am On Jul 26, 2019
autologic:
The greatest knowledge gap that auto technician are currently facing not only Nigeria but worldwide are "detail knowleage of principle of how things works and it's relationship to the electrical architect of the vehicle and even to the extent of intermodule communication ".
Scanning a vehicle is just small fraction of many test procedure to diagnose simple fault like this just like a what typical stestscope to a Doctor ,which is to give clue to the faulty system but cannot tell u to minute detail the fault., further test is required to get to the root of the problem .
Scan tool is purely a data retriever and test tool and is just like a sidekick to a superhero and not superhero itself .You are the superhero that will analysis the issue base on data received from scanner and other diagnosis tools like your Multimeter , Labcope and most importantly armed electrical foundational knowledge of what transpired in the background of the system .If you are armed with the right knowledge ,there is no limit to extent of Kazeemisation of a messed up vehicle you cannot undertake its restoration project to manufacturer specifications and even there is nothing stopping you for taking on any brand of vehicle and year as early as obd1 vehicle .
You don't have a business even repairing a toy car if cannot understand to detail the electrical circuit and signalling process that goes in background of any system cos you are going to be goofing around changing parts based solely on what your scanner DTC is telling you which doesn't differentiate you from a typical Kazeem despite investing in millions of naira professional scan tool.
Also,I will like to add to this piece that it is professionally wrong to be advising people that have issues with their car to be changing parts based on the scan DTC they give ,it is amateurish and not professional cos a lot of variable are involved which you won't have info about unless u actually see the vehicle physically and perform the needed test .
That you have guess right before doesn't apply to all situations .We can give point out area for them to concentrate their effort on but not to give advice on part changing .
Let me dive on how a typical architecture of electronic type throttle systems assembly of vehicle and Nissan peculiarities and the areas the ops will need to concentrate effort on .

oshey drop it like its hot... autologic this your latest track is ghen ghen o grin
autologic:

oshey drop it like its hot... autologic this your latest track is ghen ghen o i miss class today sha hehehe
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by OgaKazeem(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2019
Costee:

How is this statement of yours to be understood:
"1. APPS sensor, circuit and connector
2. TPS sensor, circuit and connector
3. electric throttle control actuator circuit and connector

also ensure U perform a relearn everytime you disconnect the APPS, TPS or ETCA"
yes the TPS has a connector which it shares the ETCA. my statement is a guide on what to check (wiring and corresponding pins) during diagnosis. hope this clarifies for you.

2 Likes

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 26, 2019
OgaKazeem:

oshey drop it like its hot... autologic this your latest track is ghen ghen o grin
oshey drop it like its hot... autologic this your latest track is ghen ghen o i miss class today sha hehehe
Wow! You mean you felt he invented the wheel with that lecture!

2 Likes

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 26, 2019
OgaKazeem:

yes the TPS has a connector which it shares the ETCA. my statement is a guide on what to check (wiring and corresponding pins) during diagnosis. hope this clarifies for you.
You can say that again.

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Cutetmoney(m): 2:38pm On Jul 26, 2019
Besto:

I said that from personal experience.

I did a changed of tps in (1), but nothing changed, not until I had a change of Ecu and my rev'd up asap

In case no (2) traveled for over a month, came back car wasn't raising, had to do many restarts and after several restarts, engine picks and when I try to engage gear, it cuts out engine power again, more like putting the car on limp mode, checked gear oil and it was low. Changing oil solved issue.
Thanks a lot. I pray the ECU works. But if it's the GearBox. Does the Conversion with Nissan Altima gearbox gives issues.
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Cutetmoney(m): 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2019
Costee:

If you have seen the factory service manual of this vehicle for example you will realize that "circuit" need not necessarily have to be the cause of the present issue. The throttle body could just simply go bad and the same codes of "circuit" will appear. Most times too circuits go bad when they have been disturbed by hands. If the OP's vehicle had not been worked before the present issue circuits might not come into play.
You too have mentioned TPS. Could you tell us the location?

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by erico2k2(m): 7:09pm On Jul 28, 2019
alphaNomega:

What is inside this oil that it would cost 34k in 2010? Nigerians love extorting each other.
There goes the reason why people like you kill their car trans, orite go and get 15k Oil FIXED!
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by OgaKazeem(m): 9:58pm On Jul 28, 2019
erico2k2:

There goes the reason why people like you kill their car trans, orite go and get 15k Oil FIXED!
atleast we wnt sympathize with him when he is done wrecking the car
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by erico2k2(m): 10:47pm On Jul 28, 2019
OgaKazeem:

atleast we wnt sympathize with him when he is done wrecking the car
Exactly we are watching in 6D grin grin grin
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by OgaKazeem(m): 10:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
erico2k2:
Exactly we are watching in 6D grin grin grin
village people mode activated ... hehehe
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by alphaNomega: 9:11am On Jul 29, 2019
erico2k2:

No no no, I literally want to know what the oil is made of
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by erico2k2(m): 9:15am On Jul 29, 2019
alphaNomega:

No no no, I literally want to know what the oil is made of
Good luck finding out, you seriously think a manufacturer is going to put out its formula for the world to see right or you just taking the pi ****s now
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2019
The OP reached out to me, and I guess I should give a preliminary (if premature) report of the ensuing exchanges. On my advice, the OP ran a more comprehensive test and a myriad of codes came from the TCM, suggesting either the valve body or transmission was toast. I deducted from his explanation of the symptoms, that what he was experiencing was not lack of throttle response (as he explained here) but lack of power. The throttle codes in the ECM earlier posted no doubt derived from the weak signals from the TCM. I asked when last the transmission fluid was changed and he said some three months ago, though not with Nissan’s NS-2 but with some aftermarket fluid. Harmless enough maybe. But intolerable was the disclosure that the transmission had for some time previously been run on Total ATF, thanks to his mechanic. If I was a tech I guess I’d run further electrical tests, but I’m not one and so my advice straight on is a change of the transmission with a further admonition on the use of the recommended CVT fluid when that’s done.

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by diportivo: 10:18pm On Jul 31, 2019
this thread is funny

I didnt even know haters are here....cos of wiring diagrams undecided

gbogbo yin o tii ready at all

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:27pm On Aug 01, 2019
wow, omo see local TSB oh....
chaiiiii autodauntbaba u suppose dey work with/ for innoson....
grin
Re: Murano Transmission Problem by oblo(m): 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2019
Costee:
The OP reached out to me, and I guess I should give a preliminary (if premature) report of the ensuing exchanges. On my advice, the OP ran a more comprehensive test and a myriad of codes came from the TCM, suggesting either the valve body or transmission was toast. I deducted from his explanation of the symptoms, that what he was experiencing was not lack of throttle response (as he explained here) but lack of power. The throttle codes in the ECM earlier posted no doubt derived from the weak signals from the TCM. I asked when last the transmission fluid was changed and he said some three months ago, though not with Nissan’s NS-2 but with some aftermarket fluid. Harmless enough maybe. But intolerable was the disclosure that the transmission had for some time previously been run on Total ATF, thanks to his mechanic. If I was a tech I guess I’d run further electrical tests, but I’m not one and so my advice straight on is a change of the transmission with a further admonition on the use of the recommended CVT fluid when that’s done.

Now I am further surprised. If that ride had been run on total atf? And now another after market fluid? Well I would also tow the line that the transmission is toast. Meaning it would be in limp modeas well most definitely. I never knew that too cuz I also had a discussion with the poster. Full disclosure ppl.. Full disclosure helps in diagnosing an issue faster. wink

1 Like

Re: Murano Transmission Problem by Cutetmoney(m): 8:22am On Aug 05, 2019
erico2k2:

You already got an idea where the trouble is coming from have you tried cleaning the TP Sensor?
PS; Arrest those talking gearbox, they are yahoo MEchanics
when buying the TP Sensor make sure you buy a brand new one! TP Means throttle Position
I now Strongly agree with you, cos I've finally change the Gearbox after taking special advice from a Colleague here and its still not raising. Now He's suspecting the Brainbox, now am tired. erico2k2 please what do I do

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. / Road Rage: Share Your Experience / Amazing Photos And Videos From Revs And Runway Car Drift Show In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.