Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,805 members, 7,862,664 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:25 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (70224 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (A New Strength, A New Hope). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by biolabee(m): 12:42pm On Nov 01, 2010
HNIC

we enter the month where evrything goes forward or breaks down

I was one of the people who lacked faith in chamakhs abilities and though impressed so far i think he is not lethal enough and over flicks too much grin grin

We have Shaktar (A), Newcastle(H),Wolves (A), Everton(A), Tottenham (H), Braga (A), Aston Villa (A) and Fulham Home early decmber

This are not beans matches though i believe if we focus we can nick a draw or even a win in Ukraine so we have one foot in the knock out stage
The only snag is that we dont have cover for Clichy

Newcastle- The taste of defeat will be fresh but if we can handle the pace of Guti and strength of Caroll i think we will beat the Magpies
Wolves are getting more confident but our passing game shd tire them quickly

Everton is a different proposition and we have to be focussed as they have spoilers this term.
The spuds will be uff one too but i think we can beat them

Villa should be easy peasy once we can take our chances and beat Friedel while Fulham will be a reliving of the Hughes - Wenge beef

If we can clear this matches with 6 wins. Come December we will top the table!

What we have for us is the LANS and resurgence of NB52 and TW14 and return of Wilshere
Minuses: overstretching of our defense lines and Denilson

Even 4 wins and 2 draws will be a massive improvement
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2010
reasonable thus far. now the season truly takes off.

come january, we then take stock and see. if by then we are top or 2-3 points off the top, Kudos. if worse off, forget the season!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 1:37pm On Nov 01, 2010
If not for our inconsistency, touch matches in November are Everton and A. Villa away. We should beat Newcastle and Spuds at home no matter what. Let keep the momentum going and one match after the other. Fabregas should be rested on the trip to Ukrain because of the suspected injury.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 1:51pm On Nov 01, 2010
@biolabee,
You are right
November is a month that will define the rest of the season.
Those away matches in the league will tell us a lot.
You forgot to include the home tie against Wigan in the Carling Cup.
The 6 wins could actually be achieved.
I just hope we stay injury free
Come on 'Oh Ye Red and White Army' cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 1:55pm On Nov 01, 2010
There was a website where you could check the previous season's results in a snapshot  - i.e. league table after 10 games. Does anyone know what this website is?

I had it last season but I can't seem to find it now.

All I'll say is, Arsenal looking good in Sept/Oct is no news. . . .how do we do when the going gets tough? That is the crucial question.

We have a very tough set of matches ahead of us, and this new worry with Cesc's hammy concerns me a bit. We need to seal CL qualification with a win/draw in Ukraine and then continue picking up points in the EPL.

A decent performance so far, considering the prolonged absences of the spine of the team. . . .but then again, some worrying signs still show themselves.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by slimshay(m): 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2010
After 10 games, 5 points behind chelsea, tbh, I was expecting more. We have had tho now usual extraordinary games in the CL group stages. But we are yet to transmit this kind of performance regularly to the PL. Granted though the footballscape here is entirely different.

The injuries have come early this year, hopefully it will be a total reversal of fortune on that front and we will have more fit players than not as the games come thick n fast. Especially as it seems Chelsea is getting tired quicker than I expected it to happen. I knw some will jump on this, but then its what I'm seeing right now.

Som of alluded that maybe AW is now taking the Carling cup seriously outta desperation. That is a bit off the truth. The simple explanation is that our second string players are now better. We still had younger starting 11s than the 2 premier league opposition we have met so far. It is increasingly looking like a trophy we might win this year.

All in all hopfully we get our top performers in top shape as we enter the 'november'. We usually are unstoppable at full cannons firing.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by slimshay(m): 4:29pm On Nov 01, 2010
Jack Wilshere just signed a long term contract. Good going kid.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 5:46pm On Nov 01, 2010
Arsene Wenger predicting qualifiers from each group of the UCL. www.eurosportnews.com
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2010
HNIC:

@Gooners
10 league games played.
2nd on the table trailing Chelski by 5 points:Q-finals of the CC:One leg into the CL knockout stages.
What are your views?

Another trophyless season in the making.

Nothing different from previous seasons. Who knows how i can dig out Saurons graphical presentation of Arsenals season for the past 5 yrs?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Cougar: 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2010
dayokanu:

Another trophyless season in the making.

Nothing different from previous seasons. Who knows how i can dig out Saurons graphical presentation of Arsenals season for the past 5 yrs?

this post should be bookmarked. cheesy

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2010
@debosky. These are the results from October to November in EPL. Could not get the league standing after 10 games. Oct 4. 6-2 blackburns. Oct 17. 3-1 birmingham. Oct 24. West Ham 2-2. Oct 31. 3-0 spuds. Nov 7. Wolvehampton 1-4. Nov 21. Sunderland 1-0. Nov 29. 0-3 chelsea.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2010
@debosky. These are the results from October to November in EPL. Could not get the league standing after 10 games. Oct 4. 6-2 blackburns. Oct 17. 3-1 birmingham. Oct 24. West Ham 2-2. Oct 31. 3-0 spuds. Nov 7. Wolvehampton 1-4. Nov 21. Sunderland 1-0. Nov 29. 0-3 chelsea.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2010
Resurgence of Sauron - Cougar
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 7:28pm On Nov 01, 2010
Cougar:

this post should be bookmarked. cheesy

Let me see how things are going this season.

August-  Arsenal gets off to a promising start :

August 21 2020 Arsenal 6 blackpool 0
August 28 2010 Backburn 1 Arsenal 2

So Graph prediction is still in order

September: Arsenal gets some fantastic result

CL: Arsenal 6 Braga 0
Carling cup : Arsenal 4 Tottenham 1
League : Arsenal 4 Bolton 1

So Graph prediction is still in order

October: The oldies promptly lose their next game bringing GAYYners down to earth

October 3 2010 : Chelsea 2 Arsenal 0

But the get back on track playing some nice games failure to convert chances

Arsenal 2 Blackburn 1

and needing last minute effort to win.

Arsenal 1 West Ham 0

Some things can never change. We know where this would end in May, ANother trophyless season beckons
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by allboyz(m): 7:30pm On Nov 01, 2010
Nov. . . i pray oo. . . may major fear for Nov is the injury prb. . . last season we lost RVP clichy Denilson and more more. . .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 7:32pm On Nov 01, 2010
@ yousouph

thanks bro. . .our performances aren't much different. We lost to chelski and dropped points away as well.

@ sharonCougar

Do you still have the weblink to the season snapshots? I wanna benchmark our performances in detail.

There are a few encouraging signs. . . .we've been without RVP and Vermaelen (the lynchpins of our early good form last time) so there is hope that we'll do better when they come back in.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 7:45pm On Nov 01, 2010
Dobo,

Analyse the chart and compare with result this season thus far. To tell your fellow GAYY folks where you would be by May.

I assume you being a smart engineer can interprete graphs

So you people think highly of Vermalaen? Was it the same player that was already bending backwards and fellating Drogba less than 30mins of meeting Didier?

Even he had to be converted to LB for Belgium cos he wasnt even half as good as van Buyten whom we consider a disaster at bayern
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:54pm On Nov 01, 2010
dayo"delusional"kanu!!! grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 8:01pm On Nov 01, 2010
@ DK

The chart is wrong on a number of fronts:

We didn't lose our best players but actually strengthened the squad.

We've played without our top players and are doing ok - even if you discount TV, Cesc missed 5 games, RVP hasn't played at all.

Yes all teams have injuries, but Arsenal seem to be learning to perform even without the top stars.

It's too early to predict May, unless you rely only on previous seasons.

Nov/Dec will tell us a lot more than Sept/Oct did.

No gloom and doom, and no delusions of domination either.

I'll go with quiet optimism for now.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Cougar: 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2010
debosky:

We've played without our top players and are doing ok - even if you discount TV, Cesc missed 5 games, RVP hasn't played at all.

vermaelen hasn't been missed - how many defenders can you play at a time? if you had him fit, you would say you have lost squillaci & koscielny.
cesc missed 5 games? which games? league games or carling cup. how many has rooney missed?
van persie? he has not been missed. without him, you have scored plenty of goals breaking european record and so so.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2010
Szczesny is starting to get too big for his boots, maybe we made an hero of him too soon, he hasn't done anything and wants to hold us over a barrel to play him before he signs  angry angry. If that boy doesn't sign that contract they should send him back to the reserves abeg, he is starting to talk too much.
What rubbish, Arsenal is bigger than any player joo.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2010
duduspace:

Arsenal is bigger than any player joo.

With Arsenal liliputan size? Are you sure they are bigger than Fabregas or Arshavin? Even Henry was bigger than Arsenal
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2010
Cougar:

vermaelen hasn't been missed - how many defenders can you play at a time? if you had him fit, you would say you have lost squillaci & koscielny.

That's the point. . . his absence wasn't really missed, unlike the tail end of last season.

cesc missed 5 games? which games? league games or carling cup. how many has rooney missed?

Who's comparing? Utd can do without some of their big names, Arsenal is getting to that point as well.

van persie? he has not been missed. without him, you have scored plenty of goals breaking european record and so so.

That's the point - if the team has done well without him, then there's a possibility we'll be better when he returns.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 10:52pm On Nov 01, 2010
Dunno who made a hero of him. . . .I don't see him as more than a promising young keeper. It's the likes of Dudu who thought he's the best thing since Seaman's ponytail. grin

I still maintain that AW can't develop keepers. . . .till I see evidence to the contrary I will hold on to that opinion.

Good to see Wilshere signing a new deal though - thoroughly deserved.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 10:57pm On Nov 01, 2010
@HNIC

We are doing fine joo, we are just getting to the difficult part of the season where I think we can pull away, I think this season our main competition is Chelsea. This team has everything in it to be successful now and they need to show it. Even our GK worries is starting to clear up with Fabianski's extended run and Kos and Squill have been improvements over Silvestre and even Big Sol.

Our MF has usually been well stacked and Chamakh has completed our front complement, like Slim pointed out another year of experience has made our strength in depth up their with the best (how many teams can have a player of RVP's caliber out and still be able to put a player of Bendtner's calibre on the bench?) so its not likely we'll be the ones running out of steam this season, we've gone to 2 places where we dropped points last season (Sunderland and City) and came back with points, we've beaten one of the bigger teams (City) and should soon be off to Manure to go and beat another big team. We've also already learnt our lesson early not to be complacent by losing to a weak team WBA so we are not likely to have a repetition.

We might not win the PL this season as I still think it depends on our Chelsea fares with injuries to their first 11 but our boys are stepping up fast and only need to get it into their heads that they are at the least as good as the best if not better.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2010
debosky:

Dunno who made a hero of him. . . .I don't see him as more than a promising young keeper. It's the likes of Dudu who thought he's the best thing since Seaman's ponytail. grin
I see him as a potentially exceptional keeper who deserves a chance to stake a claim for a shirt but that doesn't give him the right to be stalling on a contract and then mouthing off to the press in poland that he won't sign a new contract until he has assurances that he will play. What sort of rubbish is that? was Fabianski a mumu to wait for his chance despite having been a regular for Legia Warsaw for 2 years before coming to Arsenal at all.
It is a priviledge he has an opportunity to play for us and not the other way round. The boy should just sign his contract and stop making unnecessary noise in the papers or else I'll organise a hoodie gang home visit like the type that got Rooney to change his mind.  grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by mukina2: 11:37pm On Nov 01, 2010
Mystical nor well oh grin grin grin grin grin

The most intelligent minds often have the most persuasive demons o

Madness is actually someone who knows more about Arsenal and spends more time discussing it than the Club he claims to support
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-543147.32.html#msg7059379

grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by chic2pimp(m): 1:01am On Nov 02, 2010
Yep Cougar is definitely Sharon.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 11:08am On Nov 02, 2010
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says that the way his side play makes thWenger's side have scored 14 goals in their three group games so far and can seal their place in the knockout stages with a win over Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine. Arsenal lost in the Champions League final in 2006 against Barcelona, but Wenger believes that his side can lift the trophy as their style is suited to the European game.

"We have a very technical team and that suits the Champions League, especially in the group stage, where we have technical superiority," Wenger told the club's official website.

"We feel that is our natural level. We have the confidence to beat teams, and that makes the difference."

Hopefully, we can win champions league this season smiley
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by allboyz(m): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2010
i hope we get a win tomorow in the UCL game so that we can play our reserves in the next 2 UCL games AND focus more on the EPL. . . .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 1:52pm On Nov 02, 2010
yousouph:

Hopefully, we can win champions league this season smiley

Hopefully Baba suwe can become UN secretary General
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by yousouph(m): 2:12pm On Nov 02, 2010
;d :d ;d

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (100)

Real Madrid Vs Atletico Madrid: UEFA Super Cup (2 - 4) On 15th August 2018 / Manchester United vs Southampton (2 - 2) On 13th July 2020 / Real Madrid Vs Barcelona: El Clasico (3 - 1) On 25th October 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.