Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? (11074 Views)

Poll: Which Ethnic Group Below Is Yours? (PM me to add more to the list)

Ibo: 37% (75 votes)
Hausa: 3% (7 votes)
Fulani: 1% (4 votes)
Edo: 10% (22 votes)
Ijaw: 3% (7 votes)
Yoruba: 29% (60 votes)
Urhobo: 1% (3 votes)
Itsekiri: 0% (0 votes)
Isoko: 1% (3 votes)
Kwale: 0% (0 votes)
Ikwerre: 0% (1 vote)
African (not Nigerian): 1% (4 votes)
Non-African: 2% (6 votes)
Efik: 0% (1 vote)
Ibibio: 2% (6 votes)
Kalabari: 0% (1 vote)
Kanuri: 0% (1 vote)
Qua: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Hausas And Islam / Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by dejiolowe: 11:22pm On Jan 15, 2006
ujesha ni meere grin
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Freewilly(f): 11:46pm On Jan 15, 2006
virozuru:

so much for calling igbos sh!t huh?

My sister don't even bother with this people.........we Igbo's are very proud of our heritage, and what we have accomplished for our selfs, and it seems like we are just been hated for our hard work and accomplishments. so take that to the bank all you haters cheesy
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by dejiolowe: 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2006
few igbos have spoilt the name for everyone. like the yorubas say; one slave will give 200 slaves bad name.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Missworld(f): 2:35am On Jan 16, 2006
Do we have any fulani in the house? I sure do miss my fulani people. I'm not fulani though but much love!
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by ocho(f): 3:12am On Jan 16, 2006
best of luck snazzy wink i'll handle the preperation of amala on the wedding day wink trust me girl, i'll drop it like it's hot cheesy
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by OhBoy1(m): 3:16am On Jan 16, 2006
IGBO guy
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by ocho(f): 3:24am On Jan 16, 2006
nna, ke nke na e'menu? grin
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by WesleyanA(f): 5:35am On Jan 16, 2006
@ocho: oh please. there is sooo much discrimination about igbos,a nd those who can't see it are ignorant.

i don't think that's right. yoruba's don't discriminate against Ibo's.

there has been discrimination even from the nigerian civil war.

what do you expect people hugging each other during a civil war?
Gosh. that's been long gone. how many years now 100000 years ago?
i can't stand it when ibos use the "civil war" to attack yorubas. they do it a lot. like it's our fault they lost or something.

nigerian groups, especially yorubas, think they are better than every one else, especially the igbos. for the love of God i can't understand why.

it's called ETHNIC PRIDE (yorubas have more of it than any other ethnicity in Nigeria obviously). we don't think we're better than everyone else. We just love being Yoruba and are proud of it.

igbos are the strongest group of nigerians i know, and if you know you are igbo, stand up and be proud of who u are!!!!

exactly. Let the igbo's be proud of themselves too not roll their eyes at Yoruba's for doing their thing.

we know we're cool. Igbo's are cool too. and so is every Nigerian. crazy cool peeps kiss
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by ocho(f): 8:21am On Jan 16, 2006
virozuru:

@ocho: oh please. there is sooo much discrimination about igbos,a nd those who can't see it are ignorant. there has been discrimination even from the nigerian civil war. nigerian groups, especially yorubas, think they are better than every one else, especially the igbos. for the love of God i can't understand why.

igbos are the strongest group of nigerians i know, and if you know you are igbo, stand up and be proud of who u are!!!!
girl, i wasn't  talking about discrimination on a large scale as you are .I was specifically refering to descrimation of igbos on NL, which by the way, i  don't think happens.
igbo kewnu cool NIGERIA kwenu cool
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by tunjikrown(m): 8:30am On Jan 16, 2006
dejiolowe:

ujesha ni meere grin
Olowe........broda mi..........ilesa abi Osu? the name rings bell!!! olowe
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by yemstrad(f): 8:53am On Jan 16, 2006
I am personaly disgusted at the way people interprete and consequently acts on this thread. The author of this thread to my understanding may be trying to analyse the membership of this site to know the composition and possibly invite more members from other tribes/ethnic groups in Nigeria; perhaps based on his perception that the Yorubas are more dominant on the site.

Such perception is purely hypothetical and should not be the basis for playing on the deadly factor of ethnicity which has been tearing us apart for years.

Infact, this thing should not even cross the mind of we young ones as the bitter experience of the past should serve as a spring board for us to jump into a new era that will be free of ethnic biasness.

I sincerely love my Ibo, Hausa, Fulani, Ibibio, Efik, in short Nigerian briothers and sisters the way I love the Yorubas.

God bless us all. AMEN.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by fauziyya(f): 10:50am On Jan 16, 2006
i am fulani by tribe but dont consider myself that at all but a nigerian.dont want another civil war to occur again and ethnic crisis like that of rwanda to happen.so let`s just be one
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Hunter(m): 11:48am On Jan 16, 2006
i'm the only not african tongue
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by nferyn(m): 11:53am On Jan 16, 2006
Hunter:

i'm the only not african tongue
No, you're not, but I acted as a stand-in for my wife wink
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by otokx(m): 5:51pm On Jan 16, 2006
irrespective of where we come from we all love nigeria and are tired of mediocrity.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by obong(m): 10:49pm On Jan 16, 2006
im both qua and ibibio
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by larger20(m): 4:03am On Jan 17, 2006
I confes i dont know all of these ethinic groups exist in nigeria. Is there a course in nigerian ethinic diversity? I would love to take it!
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by mmomi(f): 3:38pm On Jan 17, 2006
Anyi ncha bu ofu. ( we are all one)
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Kokscity(m): 6:24pm On Jan 17, 2006
@ Topic

I schooled in Ibo Land for six years, and found the people to be very Innovative, hard working and remarkably smart but liked money a little too much. I lived in Lagos and found Yoruba's to be well educated people, but were not reliable.....Would snitch on their own mother, for their own benefit especially if you were not Yoruba. I lived in PH and found the Ikwerre people to be full of life but will sell land to 10 people all @ once and justify it. So bottom line is i am Nigerian, we all have faults and flaws. I hope we can leave together though.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by ocho(f): 10:52pm On Jan 17, 2006
mmomi:

Anyi ncha bu ofu. ( we are all one)
yes we are cool
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by snazzydawn(f): 10:39am On Jan 18, 2006
I am Igbo and Efik...figure it out for yourself
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Missworld(f): 5:19am On Jan 19, 2006
Kokscity:

@ Topic

I schooled in Ibo Land for six years, and found the people to be very Innovative, hard working and remarkably smart but liked money a little too much. I lived in Lagos and found Yoruba's to be well educated people, but were not reliable.Would snitch on their own mother, for their own benefit especially if you were not Yoruba. I lived in PH and found the Ikwerre people to be full of life but will sell land to 10 people all @ once and justify it. So bottom line is i am Nigerian, we all have faults and flaws. I hope we can leave together though.

That's word bro.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by lexyflexy(m): 6:00pm On Jan 19, 2006
Snazzy..... tell this folks who are being stomach headed to accept themselves for who they are and also do same to others....
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by cushman(m): 6:36pm On Jan 19, 2006
Where are the Arabians?
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by goodguy(m): 8:52pm On Jan 19, 2006
Saudi Arabia
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by ocho(f): 10:22pm On Jan 19, 2006
cheesy cheesy (the new smilies scare me) lipsrsealed
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Z4M4eva(f): 10:23pm On Jan 19, 2006
I know they all blue! cheesy
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by Freewilly(f): 1:22am On Jan 20, 2006
How in the world can a smile be blue. A smile should be a bright colour while sadness is associated with blue.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by babagana(m): 1:45pm On Jan 20, 2006
cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by lexyflexy(m): 2:33pm On Jan 20, 2006
the smlies have got nothing to do with the topic (Where Are The Ibos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas?)..... lets face what we got here..... if you are bugged about the smilies, then make it known to Mr. Admin or however way you cannot so as not to deviate from lane.only making my point clear....
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by naijadiva: 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2006
Please change the spelling of Ibo to Igbo.  Ibo spelling was the British version of it because they found the gb sound too difficult to pronounce and Igbos do themselves a disservice by allowing foreigners to define our ethnicity by changing the spelling of our language.
Re: Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? by naijadiva: 8:58pm On Jan 20, 2006
This in response to one of the ignorant statements made before:

"i don't think that's right.  yoruba's don't discriminate against Ibo's."

Yes, they do.  Many ethnic groups in Nigeria discriminate against other ethnic groups, and Yorubas are no exception. 

"what do you expect people hugging each other during a civil war?  Gosh. that's been long gone. how many years now 100000 years ago?  i can't stand it when ibos use the "civil war" to attack yorubas. they do it a lot. like it's our fault they lost or something."

The Civil War was not that long ago so let's not pretend that everything became fine after the war.  What country do you know of that had great relations among all of its citizens immediately a civil war?  If you do objective research, you will find that there is much truth to the claim that Igbos are marginalized in Nigeria, esp as a result of the war, and I know Yorubas that concur.  And if you think Igbos "attack" Yorubas using the Civil War as grounds, find out why.   Yorubas were supposed to leave Nigeria with the Igbos as long as the Igbos gave them prior notice.  Igbos notified them, but the Yorubas turned around and joined the North.  Therefore, please don't act as if Igbos resent Yorubas because Igbos lost the war rather than they were double-crossed.  Are all Yorubas bad as a result?  No, but acknowledge that these things did happen.  Furthermore, I've heard Yorubas say it openly that the war was the Igbos' fault or brag about how they defeated the Igbos during the war, as if Nigeria didn't receive help from outside sources.  If you want peace, talk to your fellow Yorubas who openly make these kind of statements rather than generalizing against all Igbos because of comments that you've heard from some Igbos.

"it's called ETHNIC PRIDE (yorubas have more of it than any other ethnicity in Nigeria obviously). we don't think we're better than everyone else. We just love being Yoruba and are proud of it.' 

exactly. Let the igbo's be proud of themselves too not roll their eyes at Yoruba's for doing their thing.  "

You have no grounds for claiming Yorubas have more ethnic pride than other Nigerians, and if you were really seeking to avoid strife, you wouldn't make claims like that.  Plenty of our ethnics groups have pride, and at the same time, there are some sell-outs in these same groups, including Yorubas.  Don't imply that Igbos are not proud of themselves and are envying Yorubas who are because it's simply not true, and perhaps it's that self-absorbed mentality that is seen among some people that causes other groups to criticize you as a whole.  Do I agree with it?  No, but I also strongly disagree with your statement and it's not the first time I've heard something like it."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Deji Of Akure Dies At 63 / Arochukwu Disobedience. / Ethiopian Would Like To Know More About The Nigerian Culture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.