Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools (39904 Views)

How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria / Between A Twitter User And Borussia Dortmund Who Used Davido’s Slang / Why Dundee United Means Fool Or Idiot In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by PAQ(m): 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2019
Ok, so if;
Dundee United = fool
Dundee Divided = Wise??
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by SirLakes: 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2019
JasonScoolari:
Do you believe that Arsenal FC is the senior team of Dundee United? grin

You better believe.
LMAO, you no well
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by higherpower: 4:15pm On Apr 14, 2019
Thugnificent:
pls somebody should help me with any amount for feeding pls. hunger in the land really and no job forthcoming. abeg o. 3051322969 first bank

How long will you continue to do this? You have money to buy android phone and data abi
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 4:16pm On Apr 14, 2019
aswani:

Nothing to do with Dunderhead, Dundee United started becoming a term of abuse/insult in the 70's after the tour.

The original poster is right.

Nope

The OPs suggestion is mere conjecture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by JasonScoolari: 4:20pm On Apr 14, 2019
SirLakes:

LMAO, you no well
grin
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by oluakin1oflagos(m): 4:22pm On Apr 14, 2019
JasonScoolari:

You better believe.

Sorry To Say Sir... You Don't Have Sense
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by JasonScoolari: 4:24pm On Apr 14, 2019
oluakin1oflagos:

Sorry To Say Sir... You Don't Have Sense
Thanks.

Au revoir!

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Topmaike007(m): 4:25pm On Apr 14, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

A majority of Nairaland commentors are Dundees. There are over 2million members on Nairaland with an estimated 10million non registered members. Out of the over 2million register members, only 0.5% of them are regular commentors who also push the like, share, and mention buttons. 70% are active readers who go through the comments but don't like, share or mention. 29% are active readers only. They don't wish to see the rubbish posted by half of 0.5 commentors.

That is why the average maximum likes fluctuates between 100 - 300likes per very good and very useless comments and peak at 400likes for great and most useless comments. There is a battle for the soul of commentary amongst the 0.5% with a significant push and leanings towards the 'useless'.

If the high nos of reasonable readers from the 99% push the buttons, the average likes, shares or mentions for a great post will peak at over 200k or more just like you find in Instagram. However, the ruthlessness and insolence of half the 0.5% who quickly post the 'useless' has painstakingly made it difficult for the 70% who regularly search for good and great comments and 29% who rarely are interested in going down the journey of 'useless'.

When I write, I write for the digestion of the 99% and half the 0.5%. The most reasonable and important part of the group who although, stay quiet, are far more active in mind.

Richdad
200k on comments alone you want to destroy our server built by Inec access by Atikulated folks
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 4:26pm On Apr 14, 2019
Afobear:

Sharrap your dirty gutter of a month Dundee United

Look everyone, the dunderhead i was talking about.

2 Likes

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Topmaike007(m): 4:27pm On Apr 14, 2019
davodyguy:
Like calling mumu in Yoruba Raufu or Suberu, whereas, both are Yoruba names for people
suberu is the main one coupled with Dauda
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Judek2(m): 4:30pm On Apr 14, 2019
grin

2 Likes

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Alirauf(m): 4:33pm On Apr 14, 2019
davodyguy:
Like calling mumu in Yoruba Raufu or Suberu, whereas, both are Yoruba names for people
Those are Arabic names please not Yoruba names
Rauf means compassionate
Zubairu that you can research on your own if you care to know
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by kernniejay(m): 5:25pm On Apr 14, 2019
davodyguy:
Sule and Mumuni are actually yoruba muslim names you know? smiley
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Toks2008(m): 5:43pm On Apr 14, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

A majority of Nairaland commentors are Dundees. There are over 2million members on Nairaland with an estimated 10million non registered members. Out of the over 2million register members, only 0.5% of them are regular commentors who also push the like, share, and mention buttons. 70% are active readers who go through the comments but don't like, share or mention. 29% are active readers only. They don't wish to see the rubbish posted by half of 0.5 commentors.

That is why the average maximum likes fluctuates between 100 - 300likes per very good and very useless comments and peak at 400likes for great and most useless comments. There is a battle for the soul of commentary amongst the 0.5% with a significant push and leanings towards the 'useless'.

If the high nos of reasonable readers from the 99% push the buttons, the average likes, shares or mentions for a great post will peak at over 200k or more just like you find in Instagram. However, the ruthlessness and insolence of half the 0.5% who quickly post the 'useless' has painstakingly made it difficult for the 70% who regularly search for good and great comments and 29% who rarely are interested in going down the journey of 'useless'.

When I write, I write for the digestion of the 99% and half the 0.5%. The most reasonable and important part of the group who although, stay quiet, are far more active in mind.

Richdad

And you get The time to analyze this...

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Sunsets: 5:45pm On Apr 14, 2019
If you don't believe this you are a Dundee
dominique:
I don't believe this

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by stanzo: 5:48pm On Apr 14, 2019
The term "Dundee United" used for fools originated from the film "Crocodile Dundee". Watch the film and you would understand
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by uckennety(m): 5:50pm On Apr 14, 2019
Thugnificent:
pls somebody should help me with any amount for feeding pls. hunger in the land really and no job forthcoming. abeg o. 3051322969 first bank

Sell your phone and eat!

Come thank me later
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by MykinsMcCoy(m): 5:50pm On Apr 14, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

Richdad

Lol Richie, I really don't do much of engagement on here... But I had to acquiesce to your opinion. You've successfully outlined how Nairaland really works � lol grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by nsiba: 6:55pm On Apr 14, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

Richdad

Mods are the MOST Dundee

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Johnjanrt: 7:11pm On Apr 14, 2019
Op with your kind permission permit to rephrase the to its suppose to be. From 'How Dundee United became a slang for fools' to how Dundee United became a slang to mean fool. The former simply refers to 'Dundee United' as a term used only by fools or the foolish.

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by DelphiOracle(m): 7:38pm On Apr 14, 2019
JasonScoolari:

You better believe.
Arsenal fans are coming for u.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by obontami: 8:02pm On Apr 14, 2019
happney65:
Buharists are Dundee United..Period!

Facts!
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by joyfullyjoyous(f): 9:19pm On Apr 14, 2019
D.U.

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by aswani(m): 9:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
Neoteny:

Nope

The OPs suggestion is mere conjecture.
It is a fact. The phrase only started being used in the 70's after the Scottish club toured the country.

What exactly at are you arguing against with your conjecture statement? That they didn't tour the country or that the phrase came into being earlier?
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by bobbyade(m): 9:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
Even the then low rated Leventis of Lagos (Iddo Tigers) not it’s latter day leventis United Of Ibadan beat them silly. They were just running around like headless chickens. Leventis goalkeeper a chap called Van Ess even dribbled out of goal a few times. They were that humiliated. So that was how looking mumu like Dundee United came to be. Mind you there is another club called Dundee in Scotland that are probably a bit better than Dundee United but the fact remains that both of them are Dundees meaning ‘Mumu’ in Naija parlance. �

3 Likes

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 10:02pm On Apr 14, 2019
aswani:

It is a fact. The phrase only started being used in the 70's after the Scottish club toured the country.

What exactly at are you arguing against with your conjecture statement? That they didn't tour the country or that the phrase came into being earlier?

You're free to believe the term came from a football club.

Heck you're free to believe Santa is real...

I don't care what you do, but i know what i know.

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by aswani(m): 10:51pm On Apr 14, 2019
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by AbujaBlue: 11:53pm On Apr 14, 2019
In 1972 Dundee United were not the 'Barcelona' of Europe as claimed in the video. They finished 9th in the Scottish league table, which for such a poor league is terrible! They were more successful in the late 70s early 80s.

http://www.dundeeunited-mad.co.uk/club/league-history/
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Awaja(m): 5:43am On Apr 15, 2019
Which region,state,city or street in Nigeria uses this slangs ?
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by pedrilo: 6:43am On Apr 15, 2019
dominique:
I don't believe this
senior Dundee. Dundee brother grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles Escape Gunshots Upon Their Return From Zambia / Sportybet Ng Is Scam / Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.