Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools (39903 Views)

How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria / Between A Twitter User And Borussia Dortmund Who Used Davido’s Slang / Why Dundee United Means Fool Or Idiot In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 2:05pm On Apr 16, 2019
dominique:
I don't believe this

It's completely TRUE!

My dad saw them lose to Enugu Rangers, Stationery Stores and the NFA Select XI, and looking lost and clueless while doing so (one suspects it was merely preseason football to them), and after that Lagosians took to calling any clueless person a "Dundee"! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2019
stanzo:
The term "Dundee United" used for fools originated from the film "Crocodile Dundee". Watch the film and you would understand

Nope! Crocodile Dundee was made in 1986...
My parents have been using the "Dundee" term since the 1970s.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 2:16pm On Apr 16, 2019
AbujaBlue:
In 1972 Dundee United were not the 'Barcelona' of Europe as claimed in the video. They finished 9th in the Scottish league table, which for such a poor league is terrible! They were more successful in the late 70s early 80s.

http://www.dundeeunited-mad.co.uk/club/league-history/

One would presume that back in that (pre-EPL, pre-Bosman) era, the Scottish league was relatively strong...
Even the likes Kenny Dalgish were playing in Scotland back then and Celtic was the first British club to win the European Cup.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2019
Neoteny:
Bullshiit

It came from dunderhead

Then it was slanged to dundee

Then parodied as dundee united because of the club

Why would it be "parodied as dundee united" when there is another similarly-placed club actually called just 'Dundee'?!
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by ashjay001(m): 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2019
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2019
klever18:
Dundee's will believe this story

daddytime:
Na lie....lol

Those days Dudee United dey cut people pool ticket anyhow like one present club that's why..

femi4:
pure fable, just like Nig vs India

Neoteny:

You're free to believe the term came from a football club.

Heck you're free to believe Santa is real...

I don't care what you do, but i know what i know.

Neoteny:

Nope

The OPs suggestion is mere conjecture.

So to disappoint y'all, but it's the TRUTH!

Go ask your parents or CyberEagles forum (where many members have been watching Nigerian footy since the 1970s).
cheesy.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 2:41pm On Apr 16, 2019
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 2:55pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

Go ask your parents or CyberEagles forum (where many members have been watching Nigerian footy since the 1970s).
cheesy.

We asked

You're lying
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 2:56pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

Why would it be "parodied as dundee united" when there is another similarly-placed club actually called just 'Dundee'?!

Dundee is not really a club, it's a place in Scotland. Dundee United is the club.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by femi4: 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

cheesy.
cyber wetin, you want me to believe in Nigeria website
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2019
Neoteny:
Dundee is not really a club, it's a place in Scotland. Dundee United is the club.

Of course, Dundee is a place just as is Barcelona in Spain or Liverpool in England.

However, there are TWO Scottish league clubs based in the city: (1) Dundee and (2) Dundee United.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 3:53pm On Apr 16, 2019
Neoteny:
We asked

You're lying

Meanwhile, I did not personally attack nor insult anyone...

Would like to believe that folks can have a discussion or even disagreement on a public forum without uncouth and childish personal attacks.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 5:01pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

Meanwhile, I did not personally attack nor insult anyone...

Would like to believe that folks can have a discussion or even disagreement on a public forum without uncouth and childish personal attacks.

Lols look at this pompous fool.

So "you're lying" is now an insult.

Only idiots take online insult seriously

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 5:03pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

Of course, Dundee is a place just as is Barcelona in Spain or Liverpool in England.

However, there are TWO Scottish league clubs based in the city: (1) Dundee and (2) Dundee United.

I don't even understand what point you're trying to make.

The topic was about how dundee united became synonymous with an insult.

If you're an expert on dunderheads and dundees and dundee united then i, being neither, will not question your credentials.

You've won this argument on merit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 9:37pm On Apr 16, 2019
Neoteny:

I don't even understand what point you're trying to make.

The topic was about how dundee united became synonymous with an insult.

If you're an expert on dunderheads and dundees and dundee united then i, being neither, will not question your credentials.

You've won this argument on merit.

Yet again, I will not descend into the gutter of personal insults and attacks with you...
Merely signifies someone who have no substantive argument or who was crudely raised.

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 9:40pm On Apr 16, 2019
femi4:
cyber wetin, you want me to believe in Nigeria website

So you won't believe a NIGERIAN forum with NIGERIAN members about a NIGERIAN slang used in NIGERIA by NIGERIANS?! grin
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by femi4: 9:45pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

So you won't believe a NIGERIAN forum with NIGERIAN members about a NIGERIAN slang used in NIGERIA by NIGERIANS?! grin
cos we lie too much. E.g Nig vs India 1-99
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 9:47pm On Apr 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

Yet again, I will not descend into the gutter of personal insults and attacks with you...
Merely signifies someone who have no substantive argument or who was crudely raised.

I've already conceded the victory you so crave, what more do you want?

Your pretentiousness does not impress me one little bit

I've given you more attention than you deserve, bask in that glory and move on to the next tug of war to salve your mental impotence.

Dundee United

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 11:03pm On Apr 16, 2019
Neoteny:

I've already conceded the victory you so crave, what more do you want?

Your pretentiousness does not impress me one little bit

I've given you more attention than you deserve, bask in that glory and move on to the next tug of war to salve your mental impotence.

Dundee United

Still will not get into a mud-slinging contest with you. Bye Felicia! grin
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by femi4: 6:35am On Apr 17, 2019
9jaRealist:

Mumu, same Nigerian website misinformed the public that Ikeja is Ikorodu-Epe Joint Administration
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Neoteny(m): 10:40am On Apr 17, 2019
[b][/b]
9jaRealist:

Still will not get into a mud-slinging contest with you. Bye Felicia! grin

Bye, Nancy.

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by 9jaRealist: 7:26pm On Apr 17, 2019
femi4:
Mumu, same Nigerian website misinformed the public that Ikeja is Ikorodu-Epe Joint Administration

First, I have no interest in joining you in the name-calling and personal insults mud-fest...
It is a crude, uncouth, disgusting, boorish and frankly CHILDISH manner to signal disagreement.

To the substantive matter at hand, CyberEagles is a football discussion forum so not sure why you seeking the meaning of Ikeja there. Nevertheless, unlike the naming of Ikeja, several members of that forum actually witnessed the Dundee United tour LIVE and are better placed to discuss related events thereto much better than the 'parachute analysis' of foreigners (and/or foreign websites) or the conjecture and guess work of those of us not born during the period of the genesis of the phrase/slang! Meanwhile, saying that you cannot trust any Nigerian (or Nigerian source) because a Nigerian website once misinformed, is akin saying YOU shouldn't trusted or believed you because a Nigerian lied.

1 Like

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by aswani(m): 8:52am On Apr 19, 2019
9jaRealist:

First, I have no interest in joining you in the name-calling and personal insults mud-fest...
It is crude, uncouth, disgusting, boorish and frankly CHILDISH manner to signal disagreement.

To the substantive matter at hand, CyberEagles is a football discussion forum so not sure why you seeking the meaning of Ikeja there. Nevertheless, unlike the naming of Ikeja, several members of that forum actually witnessed the Dundee United tour LIVE and are better placed to discuss related events thereto much better than the 'parachute analysis' of foreigners (and/or foreign websites) or the conjecture and guess work of those of us not born during the period of the genesis of the phrase/slang! Meanwhile, saying that you cannot trust any Nigerian (or
Nigerian source) because a Nigerian website
once misinformed, is akin saying YOU shouldn'
trusted or believed you because a Nigerian lied.
Well said, those who have ears let them listen.
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Glycosunde: 10:09am On Apr 19, 2019
So can we call bubu n osibande Dundee united
Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by Nuttybynature(m): 7:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
Let me add this from BBC website, it was published sometimes in June 2019.

Dundee United - Nigeria
Dundee United is synonymous with “idiot” in parts of Nigeria where Yoruba is spoken. I wasn’t able to establish with 100% accuracy where this had come from, but it seems to have come from a tour of Nigeria that Dundee United went on in 1972, when they prepared really badly, the weather was really hot, the players got sick, there were injuries and the pitches were no good. Because they complained about it so much, this culminated in the Dundee United name being taken in vain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Re: How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools by SenatorJames(m): 10:12pm On May 16, 2021
Richdad50:
shocked

A majority of Nairaland commentors are Dundees. There are over 2million members on Nairaland with an estimated 10million non registered members. Out of the over 2million register members, only 0.5% of them are regular commentors who also push the like, share, and mention buttons. 70% are active readers who go through the comments but don't like, share or mention. 29% are active readers only. They don't wish to see the rubbish posted by half of 0.5 commentors.

That is why the average maximum likes fluctuates between 100 - 300likes per very good and very useless comments and peak at 400likes for great and most useless comments. There is a battle for the soul of commentary amongst the 0.5% with a significant push and leanings towards the 'useless'.

If the high nos of reasonable readers from the 99% push the buttons, the average likes, shares or mentions for a great post will peak at over 200k or more just like you find in Instagram. However, the ruthlessness and insolence of half the 0.5% who quickly post the 'useless' has painstakingly made it difficult for the 70% who regularly search for good and great comments and 29% who rarely are interested in going down the journey of 'useless'.

When I write, I write for the digestion of the 99% and half the 0.5%. The most reasonable and important part of the group who although, stay quiet, are far more active in mind.

Richdad
You are a genius.
I can't believe you made me to comment on this your sensible submission by force.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Eagles Escape Gunshots Upon Their Return From Zambia / Sportybet Ng Is Scam / Simeone: Messi Plays Better In Attacking Team; Ronaldo Can Simplify Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.