Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Are Guys Materialistic? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are Guys Materialistic? (2968 Views)

8 Places Materialistic Ladies Choose For Valentine That Scare Many Guys Away / Are Guys Scared Of Dating Or Marrying Working-Class Ladies? / How To Tell If A Guy Likes You: Does He Like You? Why Are Guys So Hard To Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Guys Materialistic? by jiddy: 5:33pm On Apr 30, 2007
I had a lil argument with a female friend claiming that guys were materialistic and often
look for girls from rich backgrounds. My argument was that we have countless cases of
rich guys gettin married to girls from poor homes but we hardly see girls do same. Do guys get
married for love or money? (We all know women get married for money). But are guys also materialistic.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by tatajega(m): 5:58pm On Apr 30, 2007
it is obviously in the nature of man to look 4 a means of survival n in the case of males there are no exeptions cause a nigger gotta eat n remain eating no matter the means, even if means that he has to go beyond bounds such as getting married to remain alive n prosper.anywhichway all our stuggles boil down to one factor, SURVIVAL.Take a look at this scenario, A penniless guy geting married to a penniless girl 4 the sake of not being materialistic, the otcome however could be highly regarded as imaginable.the challenges will certainly increase,the love will die:that is if there is any and the children born out of the feud ll die of hunger and the two ll eventually break up, which is the best?well to me the issue of being materialistic is out of the question because as you just said rich guys get married to girsl from poor backgrounds the balance is there.To me int he case of me n the case should not be otherwise,
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by Aproko(f): 6:07pm On May 07, 2007
@ poster,
maybe once upon a time guys were not materialistic, but these days guys are even getting more materialistic than babes. they want to date a gal that travels like mungo park, hot as eva longoria, rich as oprah winfrey e.t.c. some just want to live off rich women or dont want the financial burden of taking care of the gal. and like i always say, such materialistic guys end up marrying statues and 2 yrs down the line, they want out cos life is a living hell.

bottom line, your friend is right.guys are becomming too materialistic for their own good.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by iice(f): 4:09pm On May 09, 2007
Yes they can be materialistic. Some would like to sit home and let the rich lady take care of him. (I know women do that too)
Project richness and upperclass image and see the guys that flock to you. Sometimes those who flock to you are rich, others are not.

1 Like

Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by magneto(m): 4:42pm On May 09, 2007
@topic

absolute bullsh*t!!! im sure the materialistic guys in our society aren't more than a pinchful (talkless of handful), and even at that a lesser percentage of them would go all the way to marry a rich woman. . . who would eventually lord it over him and turn him into her slave! shocked God forbid bad thing!!
and a good percentage that do marry these rich women, are only using them to stabilize on their own, and then dump them for sweet sixteens. the remaining percentage are those that are either rich themselves, or marry for love (not materialism!)

but generally speaking, men are not materialistic! ie when it comes to dating and the opposite sex, apart from that. . . greed is the word!
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by kiki(f): 4:44pm On May 09, 2007
yup yup yup they are. always lookin for some rich gurl 2 date 4 money. Lil gold diggers
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by luxoire(f): 4:52pm On May 09, 2007
kiki:

yup yup yup they are. always lookin for some rich girl 2 date 4 money. Lil gold diggers

i agree with u wholeheartedly, all the london boys, some of them no dey work oh, na only 419, and if d 419 no fall through, then Thank heavens they are living with their babe who pays the rent,

maybe back home and back in the days, men used to have their pride, about providing for their families etc, these days, they are looking for where to get it all for free.

1 Like

Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by kiki(f): 4:55pm On May 09, 2007
@luxoire

yup dem lil lazy sonof a bittch
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by luxoire(f): 4:59pm On May 09, 2007
@kiki

tell me about it, i beg if a guy aint got a job, make u no toss babe like me oh, because i go deny u. Not because i want chop ur money 9lai-lai i can look after myself and my needs), na because i no want u to finish my money!
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by laudate: 6:46pm On Jun 08, 2007
There are some materialistic guys out there, just like there are some materialistic chics around, too. Life isn't black & white. There are a lot of greys in-between.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:33am On Jun 09, 2007
i quit agree with iice. some guys can be materialistic.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by dare0834(m): 1:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
Very few guys are materialistic, most are able to provide for themselves and even the girls they date. it is much more prevalent among ladies, try not buying your Gfriend a gift for 3 months and see what happens
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by Nautillus(m): 1:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
Well . . .yeah. . .yes. . some are rather materialistic
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by ConquerAll(m): 2:00pm On Jan 14, 2010
jiddy:

I had a lil argument with a female friend claiming that guys were materialistic and often
look for girls from rich backgrounds. My argument was that we have countless cases of
rich guys gettin married to girls from poor homes but we hardly see girls do same. Do guys get
married for love or money? (We all know women get married for money). But are guys also materialistic.

This your girl might have been HIT before. She's just reacting! Go ahead and woo her!
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by mamagee3(f): 9:12pm On Jan 15, 2010
Most men are materialistic but some women are worst.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
Human Beings are materialistic.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by henryhemon(m): 10:07am On Jan 16, 2010
Any man that waits 4 a woman 2 provide 4 him isn't worth 2 be a man,its d lazy dudes that are materialistic n they are few,just a handful but women are worst,its a way of life 4 85percent of women.

1 Like

Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by Konjour(m): 1:54pm On Jan 16, 2010
I strongly disagree with the term ''materialistic'' being used here to describe Nigerian men,where was the poster when it was the ''in-thing'' for a man to get married and the wife agrees to be a ''total housewife'',would she dare that with an average or poor dude Some people might say that happened only in the past,but i really doubt if the ego of an everyday 9ja man would make him wanna settle for a wife that'll earn double what he earns. This is a topic that doesn't require a debate, its just the pot calling a whistling kettle black once again.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by Dreamm(f): 11:31am On Jan 18, 2010
Of course.Guys're also materialistic. Dat's y d rate of yahoo,killin,kidnapin etc is on increase.dey wnt 2make d money fast nt evn 2mary bt 2flex nd intimidate their folks.by buyin so many flashy cars,sleepin wit plenty women,donate so much 2d church 2b knwn,buy costly shoes,cloths nd etc.these dayz guyz braid nd plait hair.what 4? Jst 2shw off.most guyz keep wantin 2go abroad in search of money witout knwin or havin any relation there.so u cn c as most girls re materialistic,so do guyz.
Re: Are Guys Materialistic? by otokx(m): 11:46am On Jan 18, 2010
We are referring to materialism in relation to marriage and then looking at who is the more guilty - man or woman.

(1) (Reply)

How Romantic Are You On A Scale Of 10? / Husband Abroad For Three Year Study Programme? / Handsomeness Is Useless In Nowadays Romance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.