Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu (5690 Views)

Nigeria Can't Graduate From Boko Haram Attack To Attack By Fulani Herdsmen- ACF / Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Doyin Okupe: NIGERIA CAN'T AFFORD Brand New Trains, It Is Not America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 8:44pm On Sep 19, 2010
@kobojunkie- you are obviously a very patrotic nigerian and i wish others where more like you, but you have one misconception and that is the fact that changing a party will automatically put an end to the absolute power of God-fathers and political giants in nigeria. Since the inception of the new democratic era, nigerians have made one huge blunder and that is voting for party instead of the candidate, the most obvious being the last election process, for instance in lagos state most people voted for AC due to the fact of the power of money, common 200 naira goes a long way into selling a vote, even though fashola has been inspiring in lagos, the votes were still rigged. And thus brings me to the most important factor in nigeria's electoral process, POVERTY! Because of poverty, nigerians robbed themselves of a free and fair election, it doesn't matter if it's PDP or AC, if you collect bribe in order to vote, the first thing the candidate would accomplish when elected is to recover the debts of election, and thus making substantial growth impossible for the nigerian population. Only God can stop corruption in nigeria,
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Sep 19, 2010
abbey621:

@kobojunkie- you are obviously a very patrotic nigerian and i wish others where more like you, but you have one misconception and that is the fact that changing a party will automatically put an end to the absolute power of God-fathers and political giants in nigeria.
I think you have been reading my posts the wrong way. Nowhere have I posited that a change in the ruling party will mean an end to absolute power of God fathers. I think @truly's post sort of sums up my take on this issue, a take I am surprised is new to some on this.

abbey621:

Since the inception of the new democratic era, nigerians have made one huge blunder and that is voting for party instead of the candidate, the most obvious being the last election process, for instance in lagos state most people voted for AC due to the fact of the power of money, common 200 naira goes a long way into selling a vote, even though fashola has been inspiring in lagos, the votes were still rigged.
I see something wrong in what you have above . . . there is no way you can vote a candidate in without getting the party in as well, especially in the god-father system of government we run. So why do you think it a mistake for people to consider the party when voting for the candidate?
abbey621:

And thus brings me to the most important factor in nigeria's electoral process, POVERTY! Because of poverty, nigerians robbed themselves of a free and fair election, it doesn't matter if it's PDP or AC, if you collect bribe in order to vote, the first thing the candidate would accomplish when elected is to recover the debts of election, and thus making substantial growth impossible for the nigerian population. Only God can stop corruption in nigeria,
I definitely understand that there are people who will rather vote for their stomachs than for a better Nigeria any day. I mean we have people who will simply vote for a candidate because he/she shares similar ethnicity and not because the candidate and party will change the society for good. But I don't see how we can continue to fold our hands and pretend there is no way out for us in all this.
Again, the reason I am for voting a different party and different set of god-fathers here is that we give ourselves a change from the old, bring in the new, and take advantage of any small opening we get during that transition period to enact changes to the system that will afford us greater power in all this. Again, @truly gave a simple idea of what we could get if we succeed but that is just a small portion of what we could get if we succeed.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 9:09pm On Sep 19, 2010
I see something wrong in what you have above . . . there is no way you can vote a candidate in without getting the party in as well, especially in the god-father system of government we run. So why do you think it a mistake for people to consider the party when voting for the candidate?

Oh it's a big mistake, give a party like ANPP , the amount of power and influence that PDP has and put a candidate like JONATHAN as their flag bearer and the result would still be the same DEMOCRAZY crap that we run in nigeria, If we truly want to be DEMOCRATIC then let's vote for a candidate based on his merits not the influence his party has on the populace. Honestly a candidate like RIBADHU or PAT UTOMI would be great for NIGERIA but lest not kid ourselves they can't win because nigeria votes only for party not the candidate, how else can you explain a candidate like YAR ADUA' (r.i.p
) sweeping the presidential election 2007.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Sep 19, 2010
http://beta.admin.texthub.com/manage_force_rerun.aspx

abbey621:

Oh it's a big mistake, give a party like ANPP , the amount of power and influence that PDP has and put a candidate like JONATHAN as their flag bearer and the result would still be the same DEMOCRAZY crap that we run in nigeria, If we truly want to be DEMOCRATIC then let's vote for a candidate based on his merits not the influence his party has on the populace.
I still do not see what the difference is from the above. But yes, I do believe the only way we can get the best in our democracy is to vote candidates in on merit but regardless you still get the party when you vote the candidate.
abbey621:

Honestly a candidate like RIBADHU or PAT UTOMI would be great for NIGERIA but lest not kid ourselves they can't win because nigeria votes only for party not the candidate, how else can you explain a candidate like YAR ADUA' (r.i.p) sweeping the presidential election 2007.
I would not vote for either of those two myself because merit wise, they have nothing to offer. Pat Utomi has had at least 4 years to prove himself a great leader starting at the grassroots level but he has failed to use that to his advantage. That he is back again to try for power at the federal level is no reason why we should give it him on a platter of gold. Definitely a vote for him will be a change from the current thugs but let us not deceive ourselves now into believing he is deserving of such a vote.

Same applies to Ribadu there. Given that Ribadu served under Obasanjo and did Obasanjo's bidding until Yar adua decided to bully him in the end is no reason to now believe he is worthy of the post. Merit wise, he fails in my book, and his running over to ACN in my opinion is no reason to believe that he will be able to help put Obasanjo where he finally belongs.

I would rather a vote for Buhari, since merit wise he seems to have the experience and record we need( though under military rule and all) and he is running under the flag of an unknown party. I doubt Obasanjo or IBB will show up much if that Party gains power in Aso Rock, for at least a year.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 9:37pm On Sep 19, 2010
I would rather a vote for Buhari, since merit wise he seems to have the experience and record we need( though under military rule and all) and he is running under the flag of an unknown party. I doubt Obasanjo or IBB will show up much if that Party gains power in Aso Rock, for at least a year.

BUHARI, Oh Pleeeeeease, he's just like IBB and OBASANJO, the only difference is, he's not as outspoken. Buhari also had his chance and he did nothing, Nigeria is the only country among the giants of the world, that still allows candidates with less than stellar performance record to be re-elected as their president. Ok let's not be biased now, PAT UTOMI the great economist, his plan for nigeria is properly documented, you ask BUHARI to explain how he plans to UPLIFT nigeria, hmmmmmmmmmm, SAME OLD CLICHES. The honest truth is we need a president with the toughness of IDI-AGBON, the brains of FASHOLA and the tenacity of AWOLOWO, not some recycled ex-military boss,
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On Sep 19, 2010
abbey621:

BUHARI, Oh Pleeeeeease, he's just like IBB and OBASANJO, the only difference is, he's not as outspoken. Buhari also had his chance and he did nothing, Nigeria is the only country among the giants of the world, that still allows candidates with less than stellar performance record to be re-elected as their president.
Not that I am campaigning for Buhari here but I find some of the claims you have above hard to swallow . What chance did Buhari have? He is not outspoken? How exactly is he like IBB and Obasanjo? Please explain
abbey621:

Ok let's not be biased now, PAT UTOMI the great economist, his plan for nigeria is properly documented, you ask BUHARI to explain how he plans to UPLIFT nigeria, hmmmmmmmmmm, SAME OLD CLICHES.
Pat Utomi's plans for Nigeria is what we want to vote him for? WOW!!! We might as well vote in the Texas Businessman, Ishola or whatever his name is, if all we need is someone with nothing to show but plans. And here I thought you meant merit as in actually having a track record to prove one's capability as a leader.
If anything, Judging from past records, Buhari still remains the only leader with merits in this and I am willing to, after living through the only 20 something months of this country's history where the word change was not in even in the speeches but part of our daily realities, vote that he does his magic again(if he still can) or we use him to jettison the current gangs out of the political spotlight and into the dungeons where they belong.
abbey621:

The honest truth is we need a president with the toughness of IDI-AGBON, the brains of FASHOLA and the tenacity of AWOLOWO, not some recycled ex-military boss,
I hate to break it to you but Idiagbon was able to do what he did because Buhari was President. If not for Buhari, the buhari-Idiaghon team would have never been. And Shocker, Idiaghon was also part of millitary rule. So, I am sorry, whatever point you are trying to make here, I hope it is not based on bias of some kind . . . You cannot mention Idiaghon without making sure to give props to Buhari who was the PRESIDENT at the time. Think about it. I know it is too easy for us all to give props to idiaghon claiming it was all his idea but in a country like Nigeria where power ITCHES like crazy, it makes absolute sense to give props to persons like Buhari for possibly stepping aside so his VP can realize his agenda.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 10:18pm On Sep 19, 2010
I hate to break it to you but Idiagbon was able to do what he did because Buhari was President. If not for Buhari, the buhari-Idiaghon team would have never been. And Shocker, Idiaghon was also part of millitary rule. So, I am sorry, whatever point you are trying to make here, I hope it is not based on bias of some kind . . . You cannot mention Idiaghon without making sure to give props to Buhari who was the PRESIDENT at the time. Think about it. I know it is too easy for us all to give props to idiaghon claiming it was all his idea but in a country like Nigeria where power ITCHES like crazy, it makes absolute sense to give props to persons like Buhari for possibly stepping aside so his VP can realize his agenda.

Have you ever seen a military leader step aside 4 his VP while on active duty, hehehe, *laughs* I happen to be privileged to know some people who are very close to BUHARI, trust me he lacks action, what does he know about fiscal policies, budget ammendments and other important factors that could boost nigeria's economy, It's easy to concentrate on corruption as the main cause of economic downfall in nigeria but do you think you can honestly stop corruption by electing BUHARI as the next president, Why do you think FASHOLA is so successful with LAGOS? Because he knows what he's doing, he's not just relying on what his advisers tells him, but upon his own sense of judgement, electing a leader without proper education is a complete waste of time and energy. Do you think if OBAMA knew nothing about fiscal policies, international relations and other important socio economical theories, do you think he could have lasted this long as UNITED STATE'S PRESIDENT, I know nigeria is a different ball game but at least let's have the decency to elect someone capable of playing and dancing to his own tunes. I think by now Nigerians should be tired of recycling, let's bring forth a vibrant new candidate, Just my opinion, nothing more!
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 10:37pm On Sep 19, 2010
abbey621:

Have you ever seen a military leader step aside 4 his VP while on active duty, hehehe, *laughs* I happen to be privileged to know some people who are very close to BUHARI, trust me he lacks action, what does he know about fiscal policies, budget ammendments and other important factors that could boost nigeria's economy,
I am sorry but you have above is not enough to counter the fact which is the Buhari regime remains the only one regime that actively countered corruption at all levels of Government in the history of this nation.
abbey621:

It's easy to concentrate on corruption as the main cause of economic downfall in nigeria but do you think you can honestly stop corruption by electing BUHARI as the next president,
Again, Buhari might not be an eloquent speaker or even outspoken as you claim he is not, but the FACT again remains that his government is the ONLY government that actively worked to eliminate corruption at all levels in the Nigerian system and effectively change the nation in less than 6 months in office.

abbey621:

Why do you think FASHOLA is so successful with LAGOS? Because he knows what he's doing, he's not just relying on what his advisers tells him, but upon his own sense of judgement, electing a leader without proper education is a complete waste of time and energy.
I am sorry, you have over 100 proofs right now of why electing educated leaders makes no difference if the leaders themselves are not ready to change the system. Education means nothing in the end if the mind of the leader is not willing.

abbey621:

Do you think if OBAMA knew nothing about fiscal policies, international relations and other important socio economical theories, do you think he could have lasted this long as UNITED STATE'S PRESIDENT,
Sorry, but Obama knew nothing of fiscal policies, international relations and other important socio-economic theories when he came into office. That is why he needed to surround himself with those who did. Remember when he was running and screaming from high heavens how the U.S ought to be at the same table with Iran singing kumbaya for peace? Is it not the same Obama calling for more sanctions and possible arm against Iran? lol

abbey621:

I know nigeria is a different ball game but at least let's have the decency to elect someone capable of playing and dancing to his own tunes. I think by now Nigerians should be tired of recycling, let's bring forth a vibrant new candidate, Just my opinion, nothing more!

Bringing forth vibrant new candidates from where? We don't really have em this time around. All we have are NOBODY's claiming they can change things, and then we have one candidate with a proven record(though mixed with old military we are still afraid of), and then we have the same old gangsters putting forward an innocent face to woo us so we can accept the same old nonsense yet again. I would rather cast my lot with the proven soul , with whom I at least know we will be changing guards(we are bound not to get the same old godfathers) and possibly buying ourselves some time to take back some power.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 11:42pm On Sep 19, 2010
I suggest you do some research on OBAMA before commenting, and also look at his track record at the u.s senate, this guy has raised more than enough important issues while in the senate. Do you even know what he majored in at the university? Anyways that is aside, how can you say there's no credible candidates for president's besides those who are ex-military boss, common now in a nation of over 150 million, HABA! Filth only begets filth, buhari ,IBB or Obasanjo all had their chances, let's give someone new a chance, let's stop putting filth upon filth.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 11:55pm On Sep 19, 2010
abbey621:

I suggest you do some research on OBAMA before commenting, and also look at his track record at the u.s senate, this guy has raised more than enough important issues while in the senate. Do you even know what he majored in at the university?
What are you trying to argue here now? That Obama was some WIZ kid with so much experience? Come on now, it is too late in the game to spin that one. It is a KNOWN FACT that Obama was a fresh fish when he ran for president. For months that fact was used against him until the other side started blowing it big time. His record in the U.S Senate is EVIDENCE of this fact. He was only there for a year or so before he decided to run for office.

Look, again, it does not matter what university one attends, at the end of the day, it is all about a leader substance and nothing more. We have so many Harvard educated Nigerians out there who have proven that education can help but is no guarantee for good leadership.

abbey621:

Anyways that is aside, how can you say there's no credible candidates for president's besides those who are ex-military boss, common now in a nation of over 150 million, HABA! Filth only begets filth, buhari ,IBB or Obasanjo all had their chances, let's give someone new a chance, let's stop putting filth upon filth.
Again, you seem to have a thing against ex-military leaders and I won't fault you for it. However, you are yet to actually explain how and why Buhari should be thrown in the same box as IBB and Obasanjo, apart from them all being from our military past. Was Buhari a corrupt leader or is he now? If, yes, do you have evidence of this? Was Buhari unable to deliver as a leader? If yes, do you have evidence of this? please provide it.

I don't believe in giving new folks with no proven records chances only because they are new. We do that a lot in Nigeria, only we seem to forget each time we have to do it again. Bankole was a rookie . . . what became of that? The record is long and the disappointment great. So forgive me if I am not jumping on your "Give the rookies a chance" bandwagon there. For one, the rookies we have this time around don't seem serious about the race. Ribadu decided to throw his hat in last minute, and honestly considering his past link to Obasanjo and his sudden change in tone when it comes to those he investigated in the past, I am worried that we may not be getting something new with him at the end of the day.

Like I already explained Pat Utomi has had ample time to show us what he is made of and other than plans and more plans, he has yet to prove he even has the spine to handle the responsibility of a leadership post. Ability to give nice speeches is not all that the job entails. A leader ought to be able to stand confident and push to get things done no matter what. Same goes for Chris Okotie.
I would throw Buhari in the same pile only I am witness to change during his brief time in office from 1983 to 1985. I cannot deny what I saw and witnessed back then. Add to the fact that he does not seem tied to the aprons of people like Tinubu, IBB, Saraki,and Obasanjo, I am willing to cast my vote with fingers crossed on that end.

Again, I am not campaigning for Buhari, only admitting that I would rather vote him in than have another go at PDP. Since all others seem unserious, we are all left to pick and choose which we think is the lesser of all the evils and I pick Buhari's team at this time.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 12:12am On Sep 20, 2010
You are still confusing yourself, quantity has nothing to do with quality, the most influential figure in the senate during his time, not for his experience but for his tenacity when making a point, for his views on international relations which was one of his core areas back in the university. Let's forget about OBAMA, you keep mentioning buhari, he served under 2 different corrupt leaders and couldn't do anything about it(OBASANJO and ABACHA), you keep blaming RIBADHU and UTOMI, saying they've been tested and achieved nothing, well so was BUHARI, petroleum minister, Head of NNPC, nothing changed, prices of petroleum kept rising, he condoned the treacherous act of his military counterparts and now wants to come back under the disguise of DEMOCRACY, pleeeeease spare us the drama!
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 12:23am On Sep 20, 2010
abbey621:

You are still confusing yourself, quantity has nothing to do with quality, the most influential figure in the senate during his time, not for his experience but for his tenacity when making a point, for his views on international relations which was one of his core areas back in the university.
I am confusing myself? How? He was not the most influential figure in the senate, even during his time. That is a Fact. He is a good speech giver, and I should also thank the Bostonian who wrote and probably still writes most of his speeches for him but sorry, when it comes to leadership that counts for little. His views on international relations, and what not, happens to be the same views spewed by most in the democratic party. He did not necessarily come up with anything different from what most in his party has been spewing for a long time. Please visit FACTs rather than continue to pretend something GLORIOUS came about for you in this.

abbey621:

Let's forget about OBAMA, you keep mentioning buhari, he served under 2 different corrupt leaders and couldn't do anything
He did? When? Please Factual details this time around . When did Buhari serve and what powers did he have at his disposal under military rule during those times to enact these changes that you claim he did not about it(OBASANJO and ABACHA).
abbey621:

you keep blaming RIBADHU and UTOMI, saying they've been tested and achieved nothing,
Where exactly did I state the above? Is it possible you are wrongly SKIMMING my post rather than actually reading to understand the facts contained? Cause I have no clue where anyone would get the above since I have mentioned over and over now that both men do not have records long enough to be judged by, so how could they have been tested?
abbey621:

well so was BUHARI, petroleum minister, Head of NNPC, nothing changed, prices of petroleum kept rising, he condoned the treacherous act of his military counterparts and now wants to come back under the disguise of DEMOCRACY, pleeeeease spare us the drama!
Hmm . . . do you have any understanding of how power works under military rule? Oil prices kept rising? WOW . . you mean ministers should not allow the price of Oil to rise even when the law of demand and supply requires that it does under the right circumstances? He condoned the treacherous act of his military counterparts? What part of the word COUNTERPART should be ignore here?
And by the way, just so you know I am also aware of how far Buhari-idiagbon regime had to use their power to torture folks into submission during their time in office but even with that, I still admit that those two changed this country in more ways than any other group can claim. grin
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 12:55am On Sep 20, 2010
I would not vote for either of those two myself because merit wise, they have nothing to offer. Pat Utomi has had at least 4 years to prove himself a great leader starting at the grassroots level but he has failed to use that to his advantage. That he is back again to try for power at the federal level is no reason why we should give it him on a platter of gold. Definitely a vote for him will be a change from the current thugs but let us not deceive ourselves now into believing he is deserving of such a vote.

Same applies to Ribadu there. Given that Ribadu served under Obasanjo and did Obasanjo's bidding until Yar adua decided to bully him in the end is no reason to now believe he is worthy of the post. Merit wise, he fails in my book, and his running over to ACN in my opinion is no reason to believe that he will be able to help put Obasanjo where he finally belongs.

Your exact words, you claim they have been tested, well madam, so was your beloved BUHARI, he served under OBASANJO'S first regime and under the late GEN. ABACHA, if you are still disputing that, kindly search BUHARI's profile on google or any other encyclopedia that you prefer. I can understand your beef with OBAMA, since you are one of those at loggerheads with the DEMOCRATIC PARTY, but claiming BUHARI is better then UTOMI or RIBADHU, that's incomprehensible, I get it you admire BUHARI but 2 now give him credit for what he didn't do, that's cynical. Look beyond his days as PRESIDENT , what of the other posts he held, what can you say about that, you claim prices rose based on demands, you are forgetting that during the time in question, the oil boom was still in good effect, you can't own oil and good refineries and still not be able to provide cheap petroleum for your citizens, the only excuse nigerian leaders have for the constant increase in petroleum price is that we cant refine our own oil, but this was not the case during buhari's reign as HEAD of NNPC, so don't make excuses for him!
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 1:07am On Sep 20, 2010
abbey621:

Your exact words, you claim they have been tested, well madam,
You know I cannot say what I did not say right? Again, please REPOST the exact lines where you get me stating these men have been TESTED and FAILED as leaders. Please I want to know as what I see you doing yet again is ACCUSING ME of saying exactly what I never posted.

abbey621:

so was your beloved BUHARI, he served under OBASANJO'S first regime and under the late GEN. ABACHA, if you are still disputing that, kindly search BUHARI's profile on google or any other encyclopedia that you prefer. I can understand your beef with OBAMA, since you are one of those at loggerheads with the DEMOCRATIC PARTY,
Sigh!!! I don't have any beef with Obama. What I have done so far is give you nothing but the FACTS of his record which you have yet to sufficiently counter even to this point. Spinning the truth is not same as speaking the truth. Anyone who lives in the US today knows for a fact that the man was not a messiah but was mostly sold to us as something different from the past and we all bought it and many still hopes to this day on that.

abbey621:

but claiming BUHARI is better then UTOMI or RIBADHU, that's incomprehensible,
I think I have at this point given you more than sufficient reason why I believe this to be the case for me. You do know the best way to COUNTER that is for you to come up with FACTUAL INFORMATION disproving any of the claims I have made of the man so far, right? Cause this is becoming bore.

abbey621:

I get it you admire BUHARI but 2 now give him credit for what he didn't do, that's cynical.
Correction, I do not admire the man. I am simply stating the fact of our own history in Nigeria. If you have a problem with that fact, provide evidence to state otherwise, or stop with these ridiculous innuendos.
abbey621:

Look beyond his days as PRESIDENT , what of the other posts he held, what can you say about that, you claim prices rose based on demands, you are forgetting that during the time in question, the oil boom was still in good effect, you can't own oil and good refineries and still not be able to provide cheap petroleum for your citizens, the only excuse nigerian leaders have for the constant increase in petroleum price is that we cant refine our own oil, but this was not the case during buhari's reign as HEAD of NNPC, so don't make excuses for him!
Again STOP with the innuendos and present FACTUAL data as rebuttal. I have asked you over and over now and honestly, I am beginning to think you don't know anything but are all too willing to continue playing this game if given the chance. Even I have my own limits and I think at this point, I will choose instead to ignore you until you are able to come up with substantial evidence to support claims you make so one can better argue whatever point it is you assume you are making here.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 1:18am On Sep 20, 2010
Running away as always been a good move, once you know you've been caught, even staring @ ur own words, you still deny them, a true characteristic of a nigerian. I hardly argue this much guess something about your point just brings out the analyst in me. To keep the long story short, try and read BUHARI's biography, all my facts are there and if still not satisfied then i guess you are just fighting a lost cause. Good luck! cool
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Sep 20, 2010
abbey621:

Running away as always been a good move, once you know you've been caught, even staring @ your own words, you still deny them, a true characteristic of a nigerian. I hardly argue this much guess something about your point just brings out the analyst in me. To keep the long story short, try and read BUHARI's biography, all my facts are there and if still not satisfied then i guess you are just fighting a lost cause. Good luck! cool

You don't read do you? Telling you over and over to post facts so you can better make your points implies one is running away? SIGH!!!! God have mercy on us all!!!

If you do not know how to argue your points(whatever they are), may I suggest you learn rather than thinking we are all here to waste time! SERIOUSLY!!! Learn!
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 1:51am On Sep 20, 2010

Same applies to Ribadu there
. Given that Ribadu served under Obasanjo and did Obasanjo's bidding until Yar adua decided to bully him in the end is no reason to now believe he is worthy of the post. Merit wise, he fails in my book, and his running over to ACN in my opinion is no reason to believe that he will be able to help put Obasanjo where he finally belongs.

Common now, look at the words in bold, your exact words, then you turn around and say something different, please give it a break, BUHARI's biography is free for everyone to look online.
On the 31st December, 1983, Buhari struck, under the cover of the political commotion that trailed the Presidential election results of the time. In reality, power was seized for the opportunity to destroy documents relating to the NNPC's missing US$2.8 billion oil money, and punish all those involved in unraveling the scam. Politicians and critics, including Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, notorious for clamouring for the exposure of the oil money rogue Minister of Obasanjo's military epoch, were locked up without trial. Buhari's regime had a penchant for incarcerating all and sundry. Satire saved my neck at the time.

For more please visit http://www.modernghana.com/news/273361/1/buhari-atiku-go-and-rest.html or look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammadu_Buhari where you can see that he served as NNPC BOSS under two very corrupt leaders, now I have given you the FACTS you wanted, if after this you still argue, then I'm going to have to classify you as IRRATIONAL,
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Sep 20, 2010
abbey621:

Common now, look at the words in bold, your exact words, then you turn around and say something different, please give it a break, BUHARI's biography is free for everyone to look online.

WOW !!! you really know how to inject the UNINJECTABLE into statements made, don't you? So in your mastery of the English language, this 
Pat Utomi has had at least 4 years to prove himself a great leader starting at the grassroots level but he has failed to use that to his advantage. That he is back again to try for power at the federal level is no reason why we should give it him on a platter of gold. Definitely a vote for him will be a change from the current thugs but let us not deceive ourselves now into believing he is deserving of such a vote.
Equals this?
Your exact words, you claim they have been tested,
WOW!!! shocked

abbey621:

For more please visit http://www.modernghana.com/news/273361/1/buhari-atiku-go-and-rest.html or look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammadu_Buhari where you can see that he served as NNPC BOSS under two very corrupt leaders, now I have given you the FACTS you wanted, if after this you still argue, then I'm going to have to classify you as IRRATIONAL,
Again, with you skipping on details of your claims. Wikipedia tells you he served as
a) Governor of  Kaduna from 1975 to 1976( less than a year)
b) As Minister of Petroleum from 1976 to 1978 ( about two years)
Then he became President from 1983 to 1985(less than 2 years)

What am I missing here? What evidence do you have that he was marred in corruption himself? Where is this proof of yours? Come on!! I am certain you know what you are being asked of here but are unable to substantiate any of the claims. Which explains why you continue to dance around providing details of the claims you continue to level against the man. Use your head man, why is that so hard? Fashola has been governor now for how many years? Does that mean the president was also clean or Fashola is by default corrupt since he served while the sitting president went on spending spree? I am not even saying the man, Buhari, is clean but COME ON, you need to be able to at least corroborate some of these corruption claims you continue to level against the man.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by abbey621(m): 2:07am On Sep 20, 2010
IRRATIONAL IRRATIONAL IRRATIONAL, shocked
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by venum: 4:35am On Sep 20, 2010
nigeria is just a gun powder waiting to explode i tel u, do you ve 2 b president before u provide 24hrs power supply 2 a small community of 60 people least in ur village. do u ve 2 b president before u tar a 5km road in ur village and neighbouring communities? d answer is no/ i tink d criteria 2 contest should b each contestant must tar a standard 10km road in his village and 5 neighbouring towns , provide 24hrs electricity 2 half of his state and make education free for at least 10 local govt in his state and all dis should b done six months b4 election so dat pple can see dem.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 20, 2010
RIBADU is not in the presidential race. He is running a script for GEJ. It does not take anything to see the quid pro quo
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by alldone(m): 2:51pm On Sep 20, 2010
Nuhu is never a treat to anybody, governance is more than mouth, here he goes again they will use him and dump him.
If he had come on his own pedigre then i dont have a problem with that.

what experience does he have?
he should be governor of his state first and let us see what he will do.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Sep 20, 2010
abbey621:

IRRATIONAL IRRATIONAL IRRATIONAL, shocked
phew!!! I am glad you at least understand how irrational your claims have been to this point. At least I now know not to expect anything else but that from you.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Ayowumie(m): 5:03pm On Sep 20, 2010
@abbey621 and kobojunkie. more powers to your elbows. I have been busy for the past 2 hours keeping abreast of your various suppositions and opinions. I appreciate the fact many people (myself inclusive) have learnt from your points even though the two of you have point of divergences. Thanks for that.
However, I would be happy to point out that there is no concrete evidence of corruption levied against the regime of Buhari. In fact, with his helmsman man, with the spate at which they were trying to clean the mess left by Shagari administration, he could have been one of the best military head of state in Nigeria (ceteris paribus). However, Buhari has not proven to me to be some body that could be trusted (even though he is level headed, less corrupt than other known contestants). Buhari is a religious fanatic. Remember how he almost dragged Nigeria into the association of islamic countries. Imagine a country with many faiths dragged into official religious affiliation. That would only spell doom for the other wise fragile peace we enjoy in this country esp in the North.
Sentiment apart, this is the only grudge i seem to have against him!
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Sep 20, 2010
Ayowumie:

@abbey621 and kobojunkie. more powers to your elbows. I have been busy for the past 2 hours keeping abreast of your various suppositions and opinions. I appreciate the fact many people (myself inclusive) have learnt from your points even though the two of you have point of divergences. Thanks for that.
However, I would be happy to point out that there is no concrete evidence of corruption levied against the regime of Buhari. In fact, with his helmsman man, with the spate at which they were trying to clean the mess left by Shagari administration, he could have been one of the best military head of state in Nigeria (ceteris paribus). However, Buhari has not proven to me to be some body that could be trusted (even though he is level headed, less corrupt than other known contestants). Buhari is a religious fanatic. Remember how he almost dragged Nigeria into the association of islamic countries. Imagine a country with many faiths dragged into official religious affiliation. That would only spell doom for the other wise fragile peace we enjoy in this country esp in the North.
Sentiment apart, this is the only grudge i seem to have against him!

Now you are talking . . . Now that is something we can move forward with on this. Here is a question for yoiu @Ayowumie, Can a man elected as a democractic governor, singlehandededly take a nation into such an organization?
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Ayowumie(m): 10:59am On Sep 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Now you are talking . . . Now that is something we can move forward with on this. Here is a question for yoiu @Ayowumie, Can a man elected as a democractic governor, singlehandededly take a nation into such an organization?

In the normal system of democracy, No, it is not possible. But considering the 'context' in which democracy is being practised in Nigeria, Yes, it is possible. It will only cost him to hand twist some of the corrupt law makers to do that. Considering that all of the policies in this democracy of ours are not subjected to public opinions therefore many of our leaders see themselves within the context of 'divine rights of the king'. Worthy of note is the recent crisis in Ogun State.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ayowumie:

In the normal system of democracy, No, it is not possible. But considering the 'context' in which democracy is being practised in Nigeria, Yes, it is possible.
On paper what we have is a NORMAL SYSTEM OF DEMOCRACY. The only factor that has been missing all this while and allows what we have in Nigeria is the involvement of the people.
Ayowumie:

It will only cost him to hand twist some of the corrupt law makers to do that. Considering that all of the policies in this democracy of ours are not subjected to public opinions therefore many of our leaders see themselves within the context of 'divine rights of the king'. Worthy of note is the recent crisis in Ogun State.
Arm Twisting of the kind you describe above is possible with any democracy out there as long as the people are silent and do nothing. NOTE: Democracy is government BY THE  people for the people. So, if the people remain absent from the system that only allows the minority a chance to impose their will for as long as they can, which in my opinion is what happened in Ogun state and many other states that this continue to be allowed. So, should we then not vote for the one that is probably the most rational/reasonable of all the candidates simply because we fear he might, WHEN WE CHOOSE NOT TO DO OUR OWN PART IN THIS, impose his views on us? Is that really a good way forward?
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Ayowumie(m): 3:40pm On Sep 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

On paper what we have is a NORMAL SYSTEM OF DEMOCRACY. The only factor that has been missing all this while and allows what we have in Nigeria is the involvement of the people.
So, should we then not vote for the one that is probably the most rational/reasonable of all the candidates simply because we fear he might, WHEN WE CHOOSE NOT TO DO OUR OWN PART IN THIS, impose his views on us? Is that really a good way forward?
In our democracy, there has never been 'involvement of people' beyond the moment a candidate is declared a winner. I don't have to write further about this. Albeit, it is in our constitution that the electorates have the power to recall an elected officer. How many times has any constituent done that? Any time such issue is being raised, if you dug deeply, you would realise that the issue was been raised by some disgruntled politicians for some selfish reasons. All we need among other things is mass political education and this we can not do because of the pervading poverty of ideas of our other wise corrupt politicians and material poverty of millions of Nigerians.
Buhari is not the most rational/reasonable of all the candidates. The fact that you support his candidature does not make him more rational nor does it make him more reasonable. Sentiments apart (been too old), is he too power hungry to such an extent he does not know when to call it quit? You don't have to be the president to effect changes in your society. He could as well start to effect his reforms in Katsina (where b4 2007 he was more respected and revered more or less like a demi-god), he could also lend pieces of advice to the leadership of the country, considering the fact that he is in a position of respectability. I am very sure, in one way or the other some of his opinions to the leadership would be taken into consideration.
The only reason that could make him have my vote is based on sentiment (he has been making effort since 2003). It is high time our old politicians regarded themselves as elder statesmen whose roles are advisory and persuasive.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ayowumie:

In our democracy, there has never been 'involvement of people' beyond the moment a candidate is declared a winner. I don't have to write further about this. Albeit, it is in our constitution that the electorates have the power to recall an elected officer. How many times has any constituent done that? Any time such issue is being raised, if you dug deeply, you would realise that the issue was been raised by some disgruntled politicians for some selfish reasons. All we need among other things is mass political education and this we can not do because of the pervading poverty of ideas of our other wise corrupt politicians and material poverty of millions of Nigerians.
To an extent, I agree. My problem with this is we already have so many seriously educated folks out there. So, we don't necessarily need to educate so many more. We just need to use the power we have to at least cause some commotion and you are likely to get some attention. But we don't do that, ever. We just sit and do nothing and then complain that things are not going the way we want it to.

Ayowumie:

Buhari is not the most rational/reasonable of all the candidates. The fact that you support his candidature does not make him more rational nor does it make him more reasonable. Sentiments apart (been too old), is he too power hungry to such an extent he does not know when to call it quit?
Don't confuse my support for him with some belief that I think him a demi-god of some sort. Please do not!  Up until a couple of days ago, I was open but after reviewing the pool and realizing we have all we can get, I have had to look closely at the names in the pool and have had to pick this one. Considering what we have now, I believe he is the most rational/reasonable for us. Not necessarily the best we could have gotten had we been more involved as a people.
Ayowumie:

You don't have to be the president to effect changes in your society. He could as well start to effect his reforms in Katsina (where b4 2007 he was more respected and revered more or less like a demi-god), he could also lend pieces of advice to the leadership of the country, considering the fact that he is in a position of respectability. I am very sure, in one way or the other some of his opinions to the leadership would be taken into consideration.
True, but none of the others did the same. So, we are back to the list again being exactly the same again -- we penalize them all on this.
Ayowumie:

The only reason that could make him have my vote is based on sentiment (he has been making effort since 2003). It is high time our old politicians regarded themselves as elder statesmen whose roles are advisory and persuasive.
I look at it this way . . .
a) Of all the names in the hat, he has the most positive of experiences
b) Of all the names in the hat, he has the least ties to the corrupt-in-charge and so makes for a more credible candidate when it comes to fighting corruption
c) Of all the names in the hat, he has the most verifiable record of change and good leadership
d) Of all the names in the hat, he has seems to have a solid ideology(probably not what I would subscribe to) but we know where he stands on some of the basics (religion etc)
e) Of all the names in the hat, we have the better chance of getting a complete switch from the status quo with him. We could still make the same claim with the texas businessman or Chris Okotie's group but those I don't hear much from.
f) Of all the names in the hat, he belongs to one of the least popular parties and so will likely not be surrounded by others from his party with whom he can plan and connive against the Nigerian people with

He has not needed to blow hot air up our arses all this while. We know what we got in the past from a Buhari government and even though there are no guarantees, I will be willing to cast my vote for him hoping for better, and a chance for us to change the political landscape and gain some power for ourselves in our democracy.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Ayowumie(m): 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

, and even though there are no guarantees, I will be willing to cast my vote for him hoping for better, and a chance for us to change the political landscape and gain some power for ourselves in our democracy.

There are no guarantee that Jonathan or any one of them will deliver on their promises. I like your approach "a known devil is better than an unknown angel". I am still as open as you were in the choice of presidential candidate. @kobojunkie, Are you really a female? If you are, i would be speechless
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by vedaxcool(m): 4:39pm On Sep 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Arm Twisting of the kind you describe above is possible with any democracy out there as long as the people are silent and do nothing. NOTE: Democracy is government BY THE  people for the people. So, if the people remain absent from the system that only allows the minority a chance to impose their will for as long as they can, which in my opinion is what happened in Ogun state and many other states that this continue to be allowed. So, should we then not vote for the one that is probably the most rational/reasonable of all the candidates simply because we fear he might, WHEN WE CHOOSE NOT TO DO OUR OWN PART IN THIS, impose his views on us? Is that really a good way forward?

thumbs up, your polemics are wonderful to read and of sound judgement, your post made me go through this thread more keenly.
Re: I Am Running For President Now, Nigeria Can't Wait Till 2015- Nuhu Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Sep 21, 2010
lol . . . I am just saying, this is an opportunity for us to take back the wheels. We can still change things - the situation is not entirely a hopeless one. It all depends on what we are really ready for. More complete change or the same old enabled only sanctioned by us this time around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jubilation As Saraki Arrives Ilorin For Gbemi’s Campaign / Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ / Achaba (Okada) Banned In Minna, Replaced With Tricycles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.