Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,943 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta (28306 Views)

COVID-19: Pregnant Woman Dies At FMC Abeokuta / Quadruplets: Ruth Onyekachi Buzugbe Gives Birth To 4 Babies At FMC Asaba. Photos / Conjoined Twins Separated At FMC Yola: New Look (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Chartey(m): 10:36pm On Apr 27, 2019
deltateam:

This is not true unless the doctor is compromised by sleeping with them.

All nurses are women and all doctors are men. The ignorance and stupidity!

1 Like

Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Chartey(m): 10:43pm On Apr 27, 2019
desiredhome:

There is no contradiction here, maybe you don't get the explanation, we were just discharged not long and I got my experience.
A lot of people die everyday in government hospitals not necessarily of the illness but Doctor/Nurses carelessness, I am not generalizing, there are some good ones.
Some of the consultants don't have time for the government hospitals, they only concentrate on their own private hospital.

So because student doctors have to learn so patient should die , while it is a process of learning, there are still some mistakes.
Funny enough death doesn't mean anything to them.

The truth is Nigerians generally care less about government facilities they rather destroy the government own to build theirs

I'm still trying to figure out who you're calling "student doctors". Hope it's not resident doctors?
Because I don't know anywhere where medical students manage patients.
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Elliot2(m): 11:01pm On Apr 27, 2019
The day a doctor told me that nothing was wrong with me,and that I was only imagining the pains I felt made me became a semi-herbalist myself. I cannot put my life in the hands of naija docs.
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by wanger50(m): 11:10pm On Apr 27, 2019
tactius:
Inasmuch as I don't condone neglignence, there are a lot of issues with this story

1.Exactly what illness brought her husband to the hospital?? Was it something that could have been treated?? What was the prognosis?

I am asking this quesiton because oxygen is not given as a cure all...it is given as a part of what we call 'supportive management'. Patients have died on oxygen not because it was lacking but because their illness was terminal.

2.Doctors and nurses are not responsible for oxygen...it is the hospital's procurement unit. And this being a government hopsital...they probably did not have enough cash to buy enough oxygen

The thing is, we spend less than one trillion naira for over a 100 government owned hospitals. Recently, the head of one teaching hospital was quoted as saying that he gets six million for overheads...while the actual cost is 11million. Where is he going to get five million from.??

In my opinion, government should privatise tertiary healthcare and make primary and secondary health care its focus.

I am a doctor, and I have told patient';s relatives several times 'there is nothing we can do'. Let me tell you of two such times

The first time was to the parents, and then grandparents of a newborn baby who ended up with severe brain damage due to obstructed labour. The child was rushed to the teaching hospital where i was with severe diffculties. If we had a ventilatior for infants, the child could have survived...but the thing is, the child would have been severely disabled...and may have died eventually. Telling the relaitons was the hardest thing I ever had to do...and it still hurts to this day, some ten years later.

Another time was a girl with a dilated cardiomyopathy. Heart was just a flabby mass...could not pump well. Everything had been done..all she needed was a heart transplant...not available in Nigeria. She died. 22 years. I nearly broke down.

Some of you people who insult and curse us doctors don't know that each death affects us too...and there are some we remember, even years later. And there are times when a patient, in grief...like the relation who blamed us for her mother's death...her mother's kidneys had failed...she was on lifesaving dialysis when she died on the machine...and it was all our fault. (We did everything by the book).

So, to the guy who said that the woman should slap us....well, I cannot hate you or curse you. All I can promise you is that we will continue to do our best regardless of the condtion. I do not expect your thanks when we succed...it is my job, and a postman does not celebrate when he delivers the mail...so therefore I won't celebrate when I save a life.

I love my work as a doctor. I have run , shouted, advocated, spent money for, cried over, lost my social life, worsened my health, so that patients can be comfortable, and lives can be saved. I am prepared to keep on working long hours, to keep on fighting, to keep on suffering, even if I do not get your gratitude, even if you slap me.....because it is my job, and if I and my colelagues walked away, things would be much worse....much much worse.

Every death affects me, and every death hurts me. I always find myself going over the possibilites. What could we have done,? What could have been done.? Sometimes I blame msyelf, and sometimes I never stop blaming myself. Sometimes I cry, sometimes, I cannot stop crying.

But that is the job. Some body has to do it.

So, I;ll keep doing it.

Thank you and good evening.
I'm seriously moved.God bless all Doctors. May you all make heaven
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Sexyolori(f): 11:30pm On Apr 27, 2019
deltateam:

Does the force employ smallie people? There's a particular height they check. Seems there are some gaps to your story.
Leave the gaps and focus on his story...
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by iswallker(m): 11:32pm On Apr 27, 2019
deltateam:

Does the force employ smallie people? There's a particular height they check. Seems there are some gaps to your story.

Did he say he is in the force. ..
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by coolh3ad(m): 11:38pm On Apr 27, 2019
richidinho:
That was how my landlord almost died in wuse zone 3 general hospital, blood level was said to be at a very very low level , the man was turning white, he was rushed to the hospital at exactly 6.00am but no one attended to him till 1.00pm when I got there he was lying on a plastic chair begging them, I asked why he was not been attended to, they were passing blames

I left them went to a nearby beer joint and got myself high, by the time I went back there, I started shouting and attempted to slap everyone, due to my action they probably thot I was a military man, omo see how they were busy on my landlord, within 10min the man was admitted, I paid for 3bags of blood, they performed all d lab magic, administered the blood after 2days he was discharged healthy and in good condition

Till today my landlady that used to talk to me anyhow may be because of my size got to know that we smallish people are mighty inside

brothers and sisters if you are going to a govt hospital with your love ones never forget your craze head for house o... you might need it...their only target patients are the rich

We smallish people are mighty inside. That got me laughing out loud but people no know say na the truth be that. Don’t dare try “ride” a “smallish dude”. If he para for you ehn . You sef go think twice before you take an action. Lol
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by coolh3ad(m): 11:43pm On Apr 27, 2019
deltateam:

“Smallish for a guy could be 5”6/5”7. Yes Oga, a 5”6/5”7 guy can serve in the Nigerian force. My uncle is a lil over 5”6 and he is a Nigerian Soldier....
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 28, 2019
richidinho:
That was how my landlord almost died in wuse zone 3 general hospital, blood level was said to be at a very very low level , the man was turning white, he was rushed to the hospital at exactly 6.00am but no one attended to him till 1.00pm when I got there he was lying on a plastic chair begging them, I asked why he was not been attended to, they were passing blames

I left them went to a nearby beer joint and got myself high, by the time I went back there, I started shouting and attempted to slap everyone, due to my action they probably thot I was a military man, omo see how they were busy on my landlord, within 10min the man was admitted, I paid for 3bags of blood, they performed all d lab magic, administered the blood after 2days he was discharged healthy and in good condition

Till today my landlady that used to talk to me anyhow may be because of my size got to know that we smallish people are mighty inside

brothers and sisters if you are going to a govt hospital with your love ones never forget your craze head for house o... you might need it...their only target patients are the rich

but rich people don't go there.
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by lancee(m): 3:13am On Apr 28, 2019
tactius:
Inasmuch as I don't condone neglignence, there are a lot of issues with this story

1.Exactly what illness brought her husband to the hospital?? Was it something that could have been treated?? What was the prognosis?

I am asking this quesiton because oxygen is not given as a cure all...it is given as a part of what we call 'supportive management'. Patients have died on oxygen not because it was lacking but because their illness was terminal.

2.Doctors and nurses are not responsible for oxygen...it is the hospital's procurement unit. And this being a government hopsital...they probably did not have enough cash to buy enough oxygen

The thing is, we spend less than one trillion naira for over a 100 government owned hospitals. Recently, the head of one teaching hospital was quoted as saying that he gets six million for overheads...while the actual cost is 11million. Where is he going to get five million from.??

In my opinion, government should privatise tertiary healthcare and make primary and secondary health care its focus.

I am a doctor, and I have told patient';s relatives several times 'there is nothing we can do'. Let me tell you of two such times

The first time was to the parents, and then grandparents of a newborn baby who ended up with severe brain damage due to obstructed labour. The child was rushed to the teaching hospital where i was with severe diffculties. If we had a ventilatior for infants, the child could have survived...but the thing is, the child would have been severely disabled...and may have died eventually. Telling the relaitons was the hardest thing I ever had to do...and it still hurts to this day, some ten years later.

Another time was a girl with a dilated cardiomyopathy. Heart was just a flabby mass...could not pump well. Everything had been done..all she needed was a heart transplant...not available in Nigeria. She died. 22 years. I nearly broke down.

Some of you people who insult and curse us doctors don't know that each death affects us too...and there are some we remember, even years later. And there are times when a patient, in grief...like the relation who blamed us for her mother's death...her mother's kidneys had failed...she was on lifesaving dialysis when she died on the machine...and it was all our fault. (We did everything by the book).

So, to the guy who said that the woman should slap us....well, I cannot hate you or curse you. All I can promise you is that we will continue to do our best regardless of the condtion. I do not expect your thanks when we succed...it is my job, and a postman does not celebrate when he delivers the mail...so therefore I won't celebrate when I save a life.

I love my work as a doctor. I have run , shouted, advocated, spent money for, cried over, lost my social life, worsened my health, so that patients can be comfortable, and lives can be saved. I am prepared to keep on working long hours, to keep on fighting, to keep on suffering, even if I do not get your gratitude, even if you slap me.....because it is my job, and if I and my colelagues walked away, things would be much worse....much much worse.

Every death affects me, and every death hurts me. I always find myself going over the possibilites. What could we have done,? What could have been done.? Sometimes I blame msyelf, and sometimes I never stop blaming myself. Sometimes I cry, sometimes, I cannot stop crying.

So, I;ll keep doing it.

God will surely reward the work of ur ✋..Amen ..Keep doing your best sir
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by durodee(m): 4:40am On Apr 28, 2019
DrWhizy:

I would have thought the appendix was part of the intestine

But then what do I know ?
I am enjoying you sha! It always baffle me how and why Nigerians continue to "rush" their precious family members to hospitals knowing doctors there were "incompetent mofos" rather than give them agbo at home?! Then everybody will be at peace and no need for name calling.

1 Like

Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by don4real18(m): 7:31am On Apr 28, 2019
richidinho:

It can never happen in Lagos cos everyone is mad in their own way cheesy
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by DrWhizy(m): 8:30am On Apr 28, 2019
Thank you sire
DavidEsq:

Is it the intestine? Look at his ogoro eyes angry. I am currently in court with a hospital that manhandled me. Ah swear, I wld send dem to financial extinction. Oloriburu ni e angry
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by DavidEsq(m): 8:33am On Apr 28, 2019
DrWhizy:
Thank you sire

Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by bayulll011(m): 8:54am On Apr 28, 2019
deltateam:

You didn't slap the useless doctor fah? Bunch of incompetent mofos cutting intestine for appendix.

Really boss thats a joke naa really
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Amhappy(f): 2:19pm On Apr 28, 2019
tactius:

Every death affects me, and every death hurts me. I always find myself going over the possibilites. What could we have done,? What could have been done.?
..Dear doctor tactics l was touched by your post. However someone have to take responsibility. In a government hospital there is a head who everyone is answerable to,that person should ensure that every department do their duty. I also do no want to believe that government hospitals cannot generate funds. Most government hospitals run as if they don't need customers, most staff are rude thus only those who has no other choice visit them. In UPTH for instance 95% of funds that would have flowed to them from ultrasound and other scans are lost to private centres. Funds are never in excess, hospitals have limited funds like in every sector but someone need to take the hard decisions. And in such case there's no reason for a hospital not a beer parlour not to have oxygen or emergency live saving drugs. Meanwhile government hospitals is just like every government institutions in this country where efficiency is relegated to the background. So for me a public private partnership is much needed for our hospitals to function. I'm glad to hear that we still have doctors who think like you on what could have be done differently when they lose a patient. I think they are all so indifferent and untouched by deaths. So I believe that if the hospital administrators of today should think like you maybe things will be better. Meanwhile the life expectancy of Nigerian doctors are not greater than that of an average Nigeria. So do take good care of yourself,we need good hearted people in our health sector. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by Chartey(m): 5:07pm On May 08, 2019
Elliot2:
The day a doctor told me that nothing was wrong with me,and that I was only imagining the pains I felt made me became a semi-herbalist myself. I cannot put my life in the hands of naija docs.

Problem is people think they always know better than their doctors. Google somatoform disorders and somatisation before slating that doctor.
He didn't say you were not experiencing pain, he told you what he thought was the cause.
I believe he asked you questions and examined you before saying that.
Re: Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta by SirWarlock: 9:37pm On Jan 01, 2021

So, I;ll keep doing it.

old but i like this piece smiley.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) / Is It Possible To Grow Taller At 20? / Nursing Mum Discovers Methylated Spirit In A Vitamins Syrup She Bought In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.