Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. (34191 Views)

I Have 5 Million Naira To Buy SUV, Which Car Do You Recommend? / Which Car Was Your First Car? / Which 15yrs Or Older Car Do You still Fancy And would Like To Own? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 4:35pm On Apr 29, 2019
1.5million available for car purchase. Ignoring maintenance cost.
But highly considering reliability (just put fuel and top correct oil. Hardly breaks down) and performance (high acceleration. Balanced high speed cornering. Plenty horsepower). Which of these cars would you buy? Or which other car would you buy?
1) 2005- 2008 bmw 3 series AWD
2)2004- 2009 benz E class AWD
3) gazzuzz personally used lexus rx300 with 260k on odo.
4) 2005 - 2008 Audi A6 AWD
5) gazzuzz personally used infinity fx35

Abeg oo by gazzuzz used i mean well maintained nigerian used.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 6:56pm On Apr 29, 2019
Contributions anyone?

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by sultaan(m): 2:17am On Apr 30, 2019
E be like say you want start eating your moi moi from the large end.
If you can find luxury cars at N1.5m then you don find agbana proper

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 5:28am On Apr 30, 2019
sultaan:
E be like say you want start eating your moi moi from the large end.
If you can find luxury cars at N1.5m then you don find agbana proper

They are old cars na aaa. But which car would you get.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by thebigkendo(m): 6:48am On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:
But highly considering reliability (just put fuel and top correct oil. Hardly breaks down) and performance (high acceleration. Balanced high speed cornering. Plenty horsepower). Which of these cars would you buy? Or which other car would you buy?

grin grin
https://www.nairaland.com/5157943/mercedes-benz-2004-e320-4matic#77919805

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 7:46am On Apr 30, 2019
thebigkendo:

grin grin
https://www.nairaland.com/5157943/mercedes-benz-2004-e320-4matic#77919805

Haba. But i didnt say i was in the market for an e class na aaa. Anyway which car would you choose?
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:09am On Apr 30, 2019
A car in this range would be at least 14 - 20 years old.

'put fuel and top oil' is highly unlikely.

You will spend money regularly to keep it moving.

Even where it has been single owner or well maintained, some parts will regularly develop issues, e.g the suspension parts. especially if they've not been changed or worked on in the past.

What you should bother yourself with is the pricing for the parts and ease of repair for such vehicles.

That's why your list is looking funny. BMW, Benz, Audi should not be on your list if you don't have money to spend. those kain motor fit cough lasan and you are looking at 300k bill.

I don't know how well Infiniti cars age.... but if you are buying it Nigerian used, consider the fact that because they are expensive to maintain, the owner would have overlooked some stuff to save his pocket occasionally.

The RX ages well, but RX300 is about 18 years old now....... and there's 'Toyota Tax' to consider. Original parts no cheap o

Last last, choose the one you want and be prepared to take what you get. na luck

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by temmym4(m): 10:36am On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:

All i see here are luxury cars. My brother. Your 1.5Million doesnt actually matter. What you Actually ignored is what matters mostly.

A reliable car is as good as it's maintainace culture, if u can afford it.

Forget the money you have at hand, put their future maintanance and cost first, then decide the exact car that suits your budget.

Well, if i was in your dream, lets say we ignore Maintenance cost as u have specified i.e you have got enough cash to throw around, then.. Option 2 (2004 - 2009 Mercedes Benz E class) will serve you well and you will never for once in your life think about using another brand of vehicle other than benz at your next upgrade. smiley Trust me.

But in reality, buying a previously naija used luxurious vehicle at 1.5M without considering maintanance cost afterward. Either u wound the car mechanically, electrically plus physically or the car wounds you Emotionally and finacially plus in physical.. One will surely happen. cheesy

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:53am On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:

Body just dey sweet you. grin
Don't goan look for Civic to buy, dey find E Class and A6.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 2:34pm On Apr 30, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Body just dey sweet you. grin
Don't goan look for Civic to buy, dey find E Class and A6.

Thanks. But brother no need for sarcasm. assuming you have all these choices which would you pick and why?

4 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 2:39pm On Apr 30, 2019
4llerbuntu:
A Car in this range would be at least 14 - 20 years old.

'put fuel and top oil' is highly unlikely.

you go spend money regularly to keep it moving.

Even where it has been single owner or well maintained, some parts will regularly develop issues, e.g the suspension parts. especially if they've not been changed or worked on in the past.

what you should bother yourself with is the pricing for the parts and ease of repair for such vehicles.

thats why your list is looking funny. BMW, Benz, Audi should not be on your list if you don't have money to spend. those kain motor fit cough lasan and you are looking at 300k bill.

I don't know how well Infiniti cars age.... but if you are buying it Nigerian used, consider the fact that because they are expensive to maintain, the owner would have overlooked some stuff to save his pocket occasionally.

the RX ages well, but RX300 is about 18 years old now....... and there's 'Toyota Tax' to consider. original parts no cheap o

last last, choose the one you want and be prepared to take what you get. na luck

Very well said. Anyway i dont care about the maintenance costs. As long as the car was in good condition when it was bought. The maintenance must be done. My primary concern is performance and the reliability of the engine.

But are you saying one can not buy an 18 year old car and drive for at least 3 to 4 months. Or even longer. without repairing something

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:15pm On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:

Very well said. Anyway i dont care about the maintenance costs. As long as the car was in good condition when it was bought. The maintenance must be done. My primary concern is performance and the reliability of the engine.

But are you saying one can not buy an 18 year old car and drive for at least 3 to 4 months. Or even longer. without repairing something

if you don't care about the maintenance cost then buy any. The Benz would be a great option especially if it is in good condition.

As for the bolded..... highly unlikely if you'll be driving it a lot, especially because of bad roads, bad fuel, and stop and go traffic.

May not be major stuff though. a leaking hose here, blocked radiator there, some random sensor failing or small engine part failing, A/C misbehaving. The age and mileage makes it inevitable.

But experiences differ sha. Some people get luck with cars.

8 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 3:26pm On Apr 30, 2019
temmym4:

All i see here are luxury cars. My brother. Your 1.5Million doesnt actually matter. What you Actually ignored is what matters mostly.

A reliable car is as good as it's maintainace culture, if u can afford it.

Forget the money you have at hand, put their future maintanance and cost first, then decide the exact car that suits your budget.

Well, if i was in your dream, lets say we ignore Maintenance cost as u have specified i.e you have got enough cash to throw around, then.. Option 2 (2004 - 2009 Mercedes Benz E class) will serve you well and you will never for once in your life think about using another brand of vehicle other than benz at your next upgrade. smiley Trust me.

But in reality, buying a previously naija used luxurious vehicle at 1.5M without considering maintanance cost afterward. Either u wound the car mechanically, electrically plus physically or the car wounds you Emotionally and finacially plus in physical.. One will surely happen. cheesy

The bolded is the kind of response i was looking for. Thanks for your suggestion.
For what its worth i have driven a 99 accord V6. Before my present car. I drove that car for 4 years before purchasing a pilot. From my experience that car is pretty damn reliable despite its age.(i just top oil and fuel and zoom off). I hardly visit the kazeem except for minor things that i can ignore if i wish, but i have a serious maintenance culture so i fix it anyways. Its draw back is its gear(it has a short lifespan no matter what you do.). This type of draw back is the reason i put up these choice of cars for people that know stuff about them to contribute and point out their flaws if any. We will all learn a thing or two including the angry or sarcastic peeps here. And from what i gathered the accord can tolerate abuse too.
Now comparing the accord to a friends 2005 nissan maxima he maintains his car well but that car is not reliable.
I thought i needed an suv but it turns out what i actually want is performance. The pilot body rolls a lot and i am never comfortable on very high speeds.

As long as i bought the car in good condition then I dont bloody care about the maintenance costs. No be 2019 G wagon neither are they more recent benz models or other luxury brands. The funds for maintenance must one way or another become available. All i want is agile performance and reliability. I strongly believe 1.5 million will get me at worst a good tokumbo 14 year old performance machine that is reliable. Or a good earlier model that is nigerian used.

10 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 3:29pm On Apr 30, 2019
tymicjay77:
Neat Toyota Camry LE
Condition : 4months old , engine very good(guarantee)no scratch, AC perfectly in excellent condition.
Price:2.3m
Contact me on whatsapp 07069325148 for more details

Nice offer but you are derailing the thread. This is a lovely car but it is not even in my thoughts talkless or owning it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 3:33pm On Apr 30, 2019
4llerbuntu:

if you don't care about the maintenance cost then buy any. The benz would be a great option especially if it is in good condition.

as for the bolded..... highly unlikely if you'll be driving it a lot, especially because of bad roads, bad fuel, and stop and go traffic.

May not be major stuff though. a leaking hose here, blocked radiator there, some random sensor failing or small engine part failing, A/C misbehaving

the age and mileage makes it inevitable.

but experiences differ sha. some people get luck with cars.

On point. Words on marble

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 4:37pm On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:

3)

My concern is that you mixed up 2 words.

When you dont care about maintenance cost you seem to say you dont care about reliability, but you want a reliable car. Thats confusing for me.

Reliability? Japanese
Performance? German

Your choice is obvious since you dont care about fuel efficiency nor maintenance cost, Benz should match your performance needs, Lexus your reliability needs.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:29pm On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

3)

When you dont care about maintenance cost you seem to say you dont care about reliability, but you want a reliable car. Thats confusing for me.

Reliability? Japanese
Performance? German

Your choice is obvious since you dont care about fuel efficiency nor maintenance cost, Benz should match your performance needs, Lexus your reliability needs.

260k is a lot of miles, make no mistake about it.
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 5:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

3)

Reliability? Japanese
Performance? German

Not confusing atall. There are reliable cars that can even tolerate abuse, while there are some car models that are just prone to periodic engine problems no matter what you do talkless of abuse.

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by baconline(m): 6:47pm On Apr 30, 2019
Get a 2003 corolla

8 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by seyema(m): 7:58pm On Apr 30, 2019
baconline:
Get a 2003 corolla
??

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

260k is a lot of miles, make no mistake about it.

You dont believe there are cars at 260k miles that are more reliable than others at 100k miles.

There are cars that at 300k miles, an engine swap can take them to 500k if you hold on long enough. The problem is most people would upgrade before they use a single car for 200k miles.

I bought my car at 100k 2013 and clocked 200k 2019 2 weeks ago (see pix below), do you think i will still be driving this same car at 300k if i can afford a change? There are same cars like mine which are 100k but are not 50% as good as mine. There are others at 250k to 300k that are still better than mine. Am sure Piyke's car has received extensive oem parts than mine and i know he clocked 200k miles before mine, which in your opinion has more value at point of sale?

Mileage is not everything, the physical state of the car is better than what the mileage tells you.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 8:43pm On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:

Not confusing atall. There are reliable cars that can even tolerate abuse, while there are some car models that are just prone to periodic engine problems no matter what you do talkless of abuse.

Reliability is a single word to describe cars that tolerate abuse.

Reliability is relative. If you ask me, which is more reliable between the 3 series and E class on your list, i would say E class. E class vs Lexus, i would say Lexus. If you talk performance, i would reverse the list in the same order.

If you mix reliability and performance, then you turn the list on its head. You will need to drop your performance standards as well as your reliability standards as a compromise.

Thats why i prefer you first get priorities right. Reliability and performance cannot be both priorities at the same time.

If you priorities reliability, i choose Lexus. If you choose performance Benz is my choice. These choice is among the 5 options you gave..

8 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 11:02pm On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

Reliability is a single word to describe cars that tolerate abuse.

Reliability is relative. If you ask me, which is more reliable between the 3 series and E class on your list, i would say E class. E class vs Lexus, i would say Lexus. If you talk performance, i would reverse the list in the same order.

If you mix reliability and performance, then you turn the list on its head. You will need to drop your performance standards as well as your reliability standards as a compromise.

Thats why i prefer you first get priorities right. Reliability and performance cannot be both priorities at the same time.

If you priorities reliability, i choose Lexus. If you choose performance Benz is my choice. These choice is among the 5 options you gave..

That is your opinion. It is appreciated. However I beg to differ on the bolded. For instance, People have already praised the benz on reliability are you saying it cannot perform?

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 11:13pm On Apr 30, 2019
biosilicon:

That is your opinion. It is appreciated. However I beg to differ on the bolded. For instance, People have already praised the benz on reliability are you saying it cannot perform?

What is perform and what is performance?

Have i not said if it is performance i choose Benz?

Reliability is different.

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 11:28pm On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

What is perform and what is performance?

Have i not said if it is performance i choose Benz?

Reliability is different.

ok. so you are of the opinion that benz is not reliable. noted
If otherwise then you just contradicted yourself when you said reliability and performance can not both be priorities at the same time.
anyways i get your point.

Ps: to answer your question perform and performance are the same thing. Perform is just the verb form of the noun performance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 30, 2019
baconline:
Get a 2003 corolla

Nice recommendation. OP listed cars are "luxury/performance" cars. He didn't.consider running and maintenance costs.

A Civic too is good but I prefer the aforementioned car.

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 11:36pm On Apr 30, 2019
baconline:
Get a 2003 corolla
I know its easy to maintain and bla bla bla........
but thats not what i am looking for. thanks for contributing
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 11:43pm On Apr 30, 2019
OkaNaUbe:

Nice recommendation. OP listed cars are "luxury/performance" cars. He didn't.consider running and maintenance costs.

A Civic too is good but I prefer the aforementioned car.

I dont care about the maintenance cost. All i need is a car in good condition that is agile and reliable with power. it can be old but not that old. i never mentioned luxury but it seems my criteria is tied to luxury but thats ok too. everyone has got preferences. yours is economical and reliable. Mine is powerful and reliable.

you can suggest other brands if you know but it has to be on par with the ones i listed as long as i can get it for 1.5.

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 11:53pm On Apr 30, 2019
adanny01:

You dont believe there are cars at 260k miles that are more reliable than others at 100k miles.

There are cars that at 300k miles, an engine swap can take them to 500k if you hold on long enough. The problem is most people would upgrade before they use a single car for 200k miles.

I bought my car at 100k 2013 and clocked 200k 2019 2 weeks ago (see pix below), do you think i will still be driving this same car at 300k if i can afford a change? There are same cars like mine which are 100k but are not 50% as good as mine. There are others at 250k to 300k that are still better than mine. Am sure Piyke's car has received extensive oem parts than mine and i know he clocked 200k miles before mine, which in your opinion has more value at point of sale?

Mileage is not everything, the physical state of the car is better than what the mileage tells you.

you are dead right. but some naive people do not get it. Once a car model is above 12 years they think its about to pack up or a mechanic workshop magnet. I know i will get what i am looking for. All that is required is patience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by sultaan(m): 2:44am On May 01, 2019
Any other Lexus with 100k + miles on it will be your ideal vehicle.

The Infiniti will need cheaper but good too

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

IVM Cruise Unveiled In Enugu By Governor Ugwuanyi / 8 Things That Happen When A Nigerian Buys His First Car / PHOTOS: Peace Mass Transit Establishes Car Assembly Plant In Emene Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.