Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. (34247 Views)

I Have 5 Million Naira To Buy SUV, Which Car Do You Recommend? / Which Car Was Your First Car? / Which 15yrs Or Older Car Do You still Fancy And would Like To Own? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by babatee4all(m): 9:04am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:
1.5million available for car purchase. Ignoring maintenance cost.
But highly considering reliability (just put fuel and top correct oil. Hardly breaks down) and performance (high acceleration. Balanced high speed cornering. Plenty horsepower). Which of these cars would you buy? Or which other car would you buy?
1) 2005- 2008 bmw 3 series AWD
2)2004- 2009 benz E class AWD
3) gazzuzz personally used lexus rx300 with 260k on odo.
4) 2005 - 2008 Audi A6 AWD
5) gazzuzz personally used infinity fx35

Abeg oo by gazzuzz used i mean well maintained nigerian used.
Go buy civic 06 or corolla 05 and thank me later
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by KubwaBoy: 9:05am On May 01, 2019
Bigii:

Wanted to recommend this for him. It's actually the best cool
Can I get the Tokunbo at that price?
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by GreatestA1(m): 9:06am On May 01, 2019
PurerareGold:

Buy a 600k car and invest ya 900k
What model of cars are within 600k budget? Would really appreciate a list of them. Additionally, you can add where I can get one in good condition. Planing on how to make my practice easy after law school.

Thanks.
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by GreatestA1(m): 9:09am On May 01, 2019
rachealb:
Please and please, buy Toyota corolla sports. You will enjoy it
How much does it go?
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by successity5(m): 9:26am On May 01, 2019
I would have suggested you for Toyota Corolla but since you have specified the type, you can go for Benz

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 9:31am On May 01, 2019
Bayur01:

It's very possible infact i saw one of such for lag few month ago though the paint yaff fade a bit but first body. But I won't buy it. I will rather look for 1st body and paint, sound engine, perfect suspension, neat interior but below100k-120k max mileage. Though they can tamper with mileage but I will know.

Your choice. We all make our choices.
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by tightpussy156: 9:43am On May 01, 2019
it not about buying a car for 1.5 it all about maintenance. maintenance guzzle ur money more than purchased. it better to buy a tokunbo clean 12 yrs old car than to buy a naija use big car for 1.5 an then fall into one chance all in d name of big car.my co worker bought a naija use lexus jeep for 1.7 Millon as I am talking to you he has spent close to 900k changing parts of the car within one year.the first thing he change was gear box within 3 wks of purchase so many to mention.I bought a tokunbo baby boy the only thing I have change is just shafts for two years am using the car now.a.c na mortuary standard, sound system na party hall,the speed na gboza.fuel consumption very low.I keep on imagine if my car uses water or fuel because na magic to me.so go buy car that will give u peace of mind than to form.big man enter debt.those who have ears let them hear.that is the real truth up there.don't quote me wrong. my co worker as sold his jeep now for just 800k.after buying the car 1.7 an spend about 900k for part.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 9:43am On May 01, 2019
DonX001:

It sounds almost impossible to me.
Even regular Toks cars at 100k miles almost always already have some issues... either one thing or the other.... (even though it might be a relatively mild issue).
Not to now talk of a car at 300k miles. In almost perfect shape.
Almost impossicant. grin

Let me tell you something. Most toks you see with less than 80k or less are salvaged. The ones you see 80-100k clean title are the normal ones Americans sell off to avoid expensive turn around maintenance. Most cars specify complete maintenance at 100k. The work includes, spark plugs, all fluids in the car, including brake and clutch hydraulics, clutch, fuel pump, timing belt, valve clearance, catalytic converter and a host of others. They preempt this mileage and avoid the cost by trading off for a brand new car instead. A very few will do the maintenance and cross the mileage while the least will not do anything at all.

It means i will prefer to buy a 150k clean title than buy a 50k salvaged. 200k car is an evidence of good maintenance but a 50 salvaged is a 50-50 risk.

5 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Eddee(m): 9:48am On May 01, 2019
Logobenz:
Op go and buy Benz!
I have used my c230k for 5 years and if you see it,you might just wanna steal it wink
I maintain it like a child(very well maintained) and keep it clean always.
And always remember to floor the beast once in a while.
Ask people like kingreign,heavenlybang and co.
They know I put good money to keep the wheels spinning(I don't cut corners!).
The question now is can you?

ESP error, scan that baby for speed sensor or steering angle sensor issues, and also one or two shocks or tires have seen better days.

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by sapientia(m): 9:52am On May 01, 2019
Why would you ignore the only thing you should consider when you can only afford 1.5m to buy car?

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Nobody: 10:00am On May 01, 2019
Eddee:

ESP error, scan that baby for speed sensor or steering angle sensor issues, and also one or two shocks or tires have seen better days.
tires are good.
All brand new eddee,shocks are good too.
Definitely not speed sensors,I just change them!
Maybe steering angle sensors,I'll check today.
Btw eddee,na nwanneni be dis o grin grin
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 10:00am On May 01, 2019
AyobamiSky:
@ Op, i have read all the posts on this topic, starting with yours and i did observe one thing; People have offered you advice,even based on personal experiences, talked to you about issues of reliability, performance, maintenance and more, even named other options while giving you concrete reasons as to why you intial choice range of cars is probably not the best but seems you could care less. You asked for enlightenment and advice but you seem so resolute n unyeilding. it seems you only want someone to tell you to go ahead, somebody to justify your thoughts. Well, feel free not to take any opinion or advice here((Lord knows i wont offer you any) but if you need someone else to tell you your thoughts are right, then you should know you already have a doubt on your mind about that thought

Please try to comprehend the post sir. I never asked for advice on a choice of car(you can keep your advice.Thanks). I simply listed out a selected list of cars and asked people which they would choose giving my criteria of reliability and performance. So which would you choose and why?

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Nobody: 10:04am On May 01, 2019
tightpussy156:
it not about buying a car for 1.5 it all about maintenance. maintenance guzzle ur money more than purchased. it better to buy a tokunbo clean 12 yrs old car than to buy a naija use big car for 1.5 an then fall into one chance all in d name of big car.my co worker bought a naija use lexus jeep for 1.7 Millon as I am talking to you he has spent close to 900k changing parts of the car within one year.the first thing he change was gear box within 3 wks of purchase so many to mention.I bought a tokunbo baby boy the only thing I have change is just shafts for two years am using the car now.a.c na mortuary standard, sound system na party hall,the speed na gboza.fuel consumption very low.I keep on imagine if my car uses water or fuel because na magic to me.so go buy car that will give u peace of mind than to form.big man enter debt.those who have ears let them hear.that is the real truth up there.don't quote me wrong. my co worker as sold his jeep now for just 800k.after buying the car 1.7 an spend about 900k for part.
seems the guy wants a German car.
The only thing I think he should do is know whoever he is getting it from and make sure the person is a good carer for cars.
Also do proper inspections and scanning too if possible.
Then pay for it if it is ok.
Some people take care of their cars very well.
Mileage means little if you take care of a car like the manufacturer recommends.
I wish him the best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 10:07am On May 01, 2019
adanny01:

Let me tell you something. Most toks you see with less than 80k or less are salvaged. The ones you see 80-100k clean title are the normal ones Americans sell off to avoid expensive turn around maintenance. Most cars specify complete maintenance at 100k. The work includes, spark plugs, all fluids in the car, including brake and clutch hydraulics, clutch, fuel pump, timing belt, valve clearance, catalytic converter and a host of others. They preempt this mileage and avoid the cost by trading off for a brand new car instead. A very few will do the maintenance and cross the mileage while the least will not do anything at all.

It means i will prefer to buy a 150k clean title than buy a 50k salvaged. 200k car is an evidence of good maintenance but a 50 salvaged is a 50-50 risk.

Always on point.

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Cadec007(m): 10:10am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:

That is your opinion. It is appreciated. However I beg to differ on the bolded. For instance, People have already praised the benz on reliability are you saying it cannot perform?
you judge based on hearsay, but through experience,if you don't customize benz you don't enjoy it..... BMW beats Benz performance wise... Nigerians just love hyping benz...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 10:11am On May 01, 2019
adanny01:

I am very sure i didnt say Benz is an unreliable car.

What am saying is, reliability is relative. You have to put one car against another.

On reliability, Lexus vs Benz, Lexus wins

On performance, Lexus vs Benz, Benz wins

The fact that Lexus won reliability against Benz does not mean Benz is totally unreliable or that Lexus is totally non performing.

On reliability Benz vs BMW, i say Benz wins. So this means that reliability or performance is simply relative.

My point basically is that when you combine reliability and performance, you will have to compromise on each of them.

Among your list of Cars, BMW is the best performance car but the least reliable. Eliminating it from your list means you have compromised performance for reliability.

To get a car that is both reliable and performing, you rate the cars according to performance side by side as you rate the cars on reliability. Score them 5 as best to 1 as worst. Add the score on both list and the car with the highest points is your choice.

Let me do it for you

Performance
BMW 5
Benz 4
Audi 3
Lexus 2
Infinity 1

Reliability
Lexus 5
Infinity 4
Benz 3
Audi 2
BMW 1

Total
Lexus 7
Benz 7

BMW 6
Infinity 5
Audi 5

Your choice is between the Benz and Lexus. You still have to finally decide whether you want reliability or performance.

If the benz can score 3 out of 5 in your books. then it is reliable. If it is reliable and can perform then you will agree with me sir that reliability and performance can both be absolutely priorities when one intends purchasing a vehicle.

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Nobody: 10:12am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:
But highly considering reliability (just put fuel and top correct oil. Hardly breaks down) and performance (high acceleration. Balanced high speed cornering. Plenty horsepower). Which of these cars would you buy? Or which other car would you buy?

rubbish, rubbish, all rubbish except the benz

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Cadec007(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:

bro, go for number 1 since you are buying a Nigerian used...... The way naija handles benz no be for here...
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 10:14am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:

If the benz can score 3 out of 5 in your books. then it is reliable.

Even the BMW is reliable. Infact, even Keke is reliable.
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Eddee(m): 10:14am On May 01, 2019
Logobenz:
tires are good.
All brand new eddee,shocks are good too.
Definitely not speed sensors,I just change them!
Maybe steering angle sensors,I'll check today.
Btw eddee,na nwanneni be dis o grin grin

Baba how many monikers you get o. I for talk say that dashboard look familiar, as in 140km ish. How your side jare?
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Kokaine(m): 10:16am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:

They are old cars na aaa. But which car would you get.
highlander
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by svc1(m): 10:17am On May 01, 2019
I remember when I bought my 1st car in 2010, all I had was N2.5m and I thought about buying a luxury car then, but I was adviced to buy a new car instead of tokunbo or 9ja used.. so I settled for a brand new Hyundai elantra 2010. I've been using this car for 9yrs now and I would say it has been a good buy for me all this years.. I would advice u to look for a cheap brand new car and buy, to safe ursef from faults and maintenance cost..

4 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by biosilicon: 10:24am On May 01, 2019
drakeskull:

I swear some people no get sense especially comments on second page. The dude has stated what his choices are and what he doesn’t care about and here they are mentioning Corolla, Camry.

@oseundada

Not that they dont have sense, it is just their understanding. Thats what you get when you seek opinion from the public. Many of them will go offpoint. Many will abuse you. Many will judge you(they dont know you ooo or anything about you). Many will give advice (to give advice cheap na aaaa. No be online we dey?). Many will try to be selfish. Just a few will understand and respond accordingly.

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Nobody: 10:34am On May 01, 2019
Eddee:

Baba how many monikers you get o. I for talk say that dashboard look familiar, as in 140km ish. How your side jare?
baba I dey o.
Them ban my main.na wetin make grin
I dey cool here.hope you are too.
I dey want enter cali jarey.
My gearbox for the Merc cast sef!
Na 161kph be that o!140 too slow 4 me na grin
You know how we roll cheesy
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by blowjohn(m): 10:35am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:

Oga. It seems u want big men cars ba?
Cos I cant seem to find our traditional Camry or Corolla there.
If ur just starting life beta leave all those funny cars u listed above and go for a Camry or Corolla.
Infinity fx35?

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Nobody: 10:39am On May 01, 2019
Cadec007:
you judge based on hearsay, but through experience,if you don't customize benz you don't enjoy it..... BMW beats Benz performance wise... Nigerians just love hyping benz...
BMWs are not as reliable as the Merc.this is a known fact!
Too many gadgets and gizmos to fail.especially the 5 series with steptronic gear grin
No one hypes something for no reason!maybe you just love to hate mercedes

2 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by Eddee(m): 10:55am On May 01, 2019
Logobenz:
baba I dey o.
Them ban my main.na wetin make grin
I dey cool here.hope you are too.
I dey want enter cali jarey.
My gearbox for the Merc cast sef!
Na 161kph be that o!140 too slow 4 me na grin
You know how we roll cheesy

Baba i dey believe you die. I dey wait on you for Cali. As for the transmission how e take kaput?
Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 11:08am On May 01, 2019
tightpussy156:

Its not good to generalize that all Nigerian used cars are bad. Your co worker just got a bad deal.

Years ago, me and my co worker got the same amount of money, we both got Naija used cars, he got a 2002 Corolla and I got a 2003 Accord. His was cheaper and so he thought he got a better deal. Within a year he changed all 4 shocks twice and still had shock problems. Within 5 years he refurbished his car twice, i painted once on purchase. 6 years later, his car is worth crap but mine can be sold at even more than i bought it. He boasted then that he can go 600km on half tank, i didnt care. He just got a bad deal but thought Toyota was all that he needed and he will not have problems.

Another friend seeing how i got a good deal enlisted me to get him a good deal too. He wasn't as patient as i wanted him to be, fell for another friend's dealership scheme. Since our other friend knew we where looking for a car he brought an offer directly to our friend, i was only invited to test drive and give my friend a recommendation when a friend is the buyer and a friend is the seller. I felt my friend cornered himself and i tried to be unbiased. I didnt like the deal but saying it was difficult. The deal was made but it turn out to be a bad one. There were obvious engine trouble, we never overcame the troubles even after an expensive engine swap. Like the car was jinxed, a perfect engine just broke a conrod on very high speed and demolished the engine. The car is like scrap today.

I bought my mum a Naija used on this Nairaland. Almost 2 years now, front shocks, serpentine belt, brake master and conrod bearing are the only works done. This car has relieved my car of the trips and does most of our trips now due to fuel economy.

As far as buying cars is concerned, there are no bad naija used cars, there is only bad deals. As long as its a good deal, you pay for what you can afford.

If your friend had bought that car for 500k and used 900k to put it in great condition, he got a good deal but he bought at 1.7m and used 900k to put it in good condition, he just got a bad deal. Don't blame Naija used cars.

9 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 11:13am On May 01, 2019
svc1:
I remember when I bought my 1st car in 2010, all I had was N2.5m and I thought about buying a luxury car then, but I was adviced to buy a new car instead of tokunbo or 9ja used.. so I settled for a brand new Hyundai elantra 2010. I've been using this car for 9yrs now and I would say it has been a good buy for me all this years.. I would advice u to look for a cheap brand new car and buy, to safe ursef from faults and maintenance cost..

With 1.5m?

That your Elantra pass 5M now o! Even Innosson no get 2m car.

3 Likes

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by pacespot(m): 11:23am On May 01, 2019
it is funny the type of cars that money can buy some few years back, but now I doubt it

1 Like

Re: 1.5 Million For a car. Which car do you recommend. by adanny01(m): 11:32am On May 01, 2019
biosilicon:

If the benz can score 3 out of 5 in your books. then it is reliable. If it is reliable and can perform then you will agree with me sir that reliability and performance can both be absolutely priorities when one intends purchasing a vehicle.

See it this way,

The most reliable Lexus
The most performing BMW
The most reliable and performing? Both Lexus and BMW lose points while Benz gains points.

If your choice is Lexus, you didn't get the most performing car among the lot. If your choice is Benz, its neither the most reliable nor the most performing.

Also if you get the Lexus, that means you priotized reliability ahead of performance.
If you get the Benz, that means you priotized performance ahead of reliability.

If you really want to prioritize both reliability and performance, then you should buy both Lexus and BMW so that your garage can show exactly your priorities. You would have ended up separating reliability and performance.

Priorities means compromise either reliability or performance. You can't avoid the compromise.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Things That Happen When A Nigerian Buys His First Car / Cows Drag Road With Motorist In Abuja (photos) / PHOTOS: Peace Mass Transit Establishes Car Assembly Plant In Emene Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.