Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,951 members, 7,952,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:51 AM

Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. (11864 Views)

Which Tribe Donated This Blood Today? / Which Tribe Does Obasanjo Really Belongs to. Take a closer look / Amaechi Leaked Tape: Ibim Semenitari Admits Voice Belongs To Minister, Explains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 12:28am On May 03, 2019
excanny:
It was first settled by a Yoruboid group from Ile Ife.
Followed by other non-yoruba groups who settled there as well.

But it seems like no-man's-land tho. Cos the Yoruba group became seriously outnumbered.

You dont loose your ownership of land because you are outnumbered. You loose ownership because of f00lish mindset like you just exhibited. grin

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 1:30am On May 03, 2019
mamdanju:

It appears you have problem with comprehension. You also lack manners. You mean you did not read the part that say "The Nupe and Zazzau emirs agree with the Hausas to be the leader, while the Nupe to be the religion leader as chief imam of Lokoja"

My family have over 100 years history of living in Lokoja, so I know its history very well.

There are two leaderships in Lokoja. The maigari is on the Hausa side and they rule over the Nupe, both are settlers. There is Olu of Iworo, no one rules above him, he is over the aborigenes.

You cant be in Lokoja 100yrs and not know this, unless you are fake.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 1:33am On May 03, 2019
NobleAngell:
Hmm mm, interesting!

Are you from Lokoja? wink
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 1:40am On May 03, 2019
mamdanju:
Lokoja belongs to the Hausas and the Nipes. The Falele name you are talking about means Rock in hausa. Other streets such as kabawa was dominated by fishermen from Kebbi, Madabo was street of the scholars. There is another Madabo in kano,. Unguwan yashi means sand street in hausa. Pati is mountain in Nupe. The Paramount ruler of Lokoja is a hausa man addressed as the Maigari (owner) of Lokoja. Even the name Lokoja is a hausa name like Abuja. This issue has been settled at the supreme court already. Please do your homework well. Ask around. Check this Wikipedia link for further information.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokoja

You are a bloody fake!

The Hausas in Lokoja were chased out of their enclaves in North during Jihad. They escaped and settled South, some were exiled by new Fulani rulers. They were given comfort and abode by the Oworos.

There is an Olu of Iworo and is the ruler over indigenes. Maigari only rules the settler quarters.

Dutse is Hausa for rock. I suspect you are not Yoruba, not Hausa, not Nupe, not even a resident of Lokoja but you are a third interest trying to subdue truth with fake and false info.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by rummmy: 1:40am On May 03, 2019
forgiveness:

Since Ondo state produces oil, Lagos developed with Ondo state oil money.

Besides, itsekiri produces more oil than any group in Nigeria and they are under the umbrella of egbe omo odua.
your brain have expired, you need to download another one I swear.

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Yujin(m): 4:31am On May 03, 2019
MetaPhysical:
It is indigeneous to Oworo (Yorubas) and dated far back into the age of NOK civilization. The town was formerly under protection of Ife Empire. It was an old trading post but began receiving settlers dislocated from other regions by war and conflicts and is why today Lokoja has diversity quarters belonging to different ethnic groups in North.

Ebira and Igala are Yoruboid groups themselves.

In fact the Igala say Lokoja is a compressed word and in their language it means in full "Lowa Ka Je Eja" (translated - come let us eat fish). In Yoruba come let us eat fish is Wa Ka Je Eja.
Igala is Yoruboid but Ebira isn't.

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Yujin(m): 4:35am On May 03, 2019
ChristianNorth:
So they wan grab this one? Na knife aboki go put for una neck.

Someone is even claiming that Igala is Yoruboid.
Mainstream Igala is indeed Yoruboid. The Igala spoken around the southern fringes of Igalaland is highly diluted with Igbo words that makes it difficult to identify how similar it is to Yoruba.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Yujin(m): 4:38am On May 03, 2019
forgiveness:

Which Hausa? The supreme court judgement was under the Hausa regime. What do you expect?

For now, let everybody enjoy the peace in the city but if Nigeria disintegrates, Ilorin, Jebba, Kanji dam, Shiroro dam and Lokoja must be taken back by their rightful owners.

In this case, Supreme court judgement will not be effective but the old maps before or after the colonial masters annexed the entity called Nigeria shall be used to determine who owns what.
Remove Ilorin from there. For others I'm not too sure but I'll research on them soon.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by dokyOloye: 7:05am On May 03, 2019
SLAP44:
Yoruba stops in the 5 southwest states of
Ogun
Ondo
Ekiti
Oyo
Osun

Lagos belongs to the whole Nigeria.

Quote me and get an e slap.
Igbo amaka grin
Lagos amaka grin grin grin
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by waali(m): 7:48am On May 03, 2019
Unlimitk:
I Was researching on fb about lokoja and all d street names sounded yorubaish to me
I was seeing names like felele araromi isanlu and so on
D felele one was where LFC winners chapel church is located in lokoja
Now I want to ask: does lokoja belong to okuns(Yorubas) igala or ebira ppl
D igalas are mostly on d eastern side of d river Niger,that's d confluence river so they have less claim
I looked at d ebira's LGA in kogi and I didn't find lokoja as part of their LGA
But lokoja was part of kogi west LGA which is d okun(Yorubas) part of kogi state, I even looked at federal university of kogi in lokoja and most of d staff are Yorubas from professors to at one time d vc of federal university of lokoja
So with all these evidence, is it safe to say d okuns(Yorubas) own lokoja d capital of kogi state

Your research is faulty to me. Federal University Lokoja have had only one past VC and the man is from Katsina. The current is from Plateau. Can you name other places aside Felele? Kabawa, Adankolo, Ganaja, Zangon Daji, Lokongoma and the Lokoja itself are not Yoruba names. Mount Pati is coined from the Bassange. The rivers don't sound Yoruba.

Except if I missed something, The Bassange were the settlers the white met.

Talking about the Fulokoja profs. It is expected. They are the most schooled. I still doubt your statistics about the general staffing sha.

Don't do research on FB, do research on Google or better still come over to Lokoja and see for yourself.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by ChristianNorth: 8:20am On May 03, 2019
Yujin:

Mainstream Igala is indeed Yoruboid. The Igala spoken around the southern fringes of Igalaland is highly diluted with Igbo words that makes it difficult to identify how similar it is to Yoruba.
Igala Kingdom was founded in the 7th century, so what makes them yoruboid? A son can never give birth to his father nah.

4 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by vonxe: 9:13am On May 03, 2019
waali:

Your research is faulty to me. Federal University Lokoja have had only one past VC and the man is from Katsina. The current is from Plateau. Can you name other places aside Felele? Kabawa, Adankolo, Ganaja, Zangon Daji, Lokongoma and the Lokoja itself are not Yoruba names. Mount Pati is coined from the Bassange. The rivers don't sound Yoruba.

Talking about the Fulokoja profs. It is expected. They are the most schooled. I still doubt your statistics about the general staffing sha.

Don't do research on FB, do research on Google or better still come over to Lokoja and see for yourself.

Yeah, this is what I observed when I was in lokoja. Felele area is dominated by yorubas. I was told that is where the oworo land stopped.
But other areas is mixed with different ethnic group.
As usual in every big towns/cities there are sabo areas dominated by hausas and their presence is well felt.
From Ganaja junction to Ganaja is dominated by igalas
I have not been to any where dominated by ebira, nupes in lokoja
If the yorubas will have to lay claim to lokoja it will only end in felele.
From kabba-obajana-felele in lokoja are homes to oworos and okuns

N.B
Some oworos claim they are not yorubas

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by vonxe: 9:16am On May 03, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Igala Kingdom was founded in the 7th century, so what makes them yoruboid? A son can never give birth to his father nah.
Yoruboid is different from being yoruba. Yoruboid is about their language tones.
Just like if nupe and gwari people speak you will think it is the same language.
If igala and yoruba people speaks you will notice there are similarities

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Nobody: 9:31am On May 03, 2019
vonxe:

Yoruboid is different from being yoruba. Yoruboid is about their language tones.
Just like if nupe and gwari people speak you will think it is the same language.
If igala and yoruba people speaks you will notice there are similarities

That osu pig you quoted just wanna showcase his stupidity as usual. You should have ignored him.

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Nobody: 9:32am On May 03, 2019
vonxe:

Yeah, this is what I observed when I was in lokoja. Felele area is dominated by yorubas. I was told that is where the oworo land stopped.
But other areas is mixed with different ethnic group.
As usual in every big towns/cities there are sabo areas dominated by hausas and their presence is well felt.
If the yorubas will have to lay claim to lokoja it will only end in felele.
From kabba-obajana-felele in lokoja are homes to oworos and okuns

N.B
Some oworos claim they are not yorubas

Is lokoja contiguous to igala land?
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Born2Breed(f): 9:41am On May 03, 2019
SLAP44:

If Nigeria should break up, we calculate the assets bought with oil money in Lagos and split it among the tribes that own oil. You cannot be grabbing lands everywhere. Yoruba arrived in Lagos just like every other tribe did.

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by vonxe: 9:48am On May 03, 2019
schoolboij:

Is lokoja contiguous to igala land?
I think Ganaja is an igala land, am not too sure. If yes then Ganaja shares boundary with lokoja
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by forgiveness: 9:51am On May 03, 2019
rummmy:
your brain have expired, you need to download another one I swear.

What are you saying? grin
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by waali(m): 9:58am On May 03, 2019
vonxe:

The Igalas dominates Adankolo and Ganaja area.

I think the area around Barracks is dominated by the Ebiras. If I may ask, are you calling the Nupes Bassange (Bassa)? The Bassa people are mixed with the Hausas living in Kabawa and that old market side.

The thing is, you really can't tell. Bassa people are seen as Hausas too because they speak the language.

As we were told. The Hausas currently living in Lokoja are descendants of exiled kings who opposed the Europeans directives during the colonial rule.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by forgiveness: 10:13am On May 03, 2019
Yujin:

Remove Ilorin from there. For others I'm not too sure but I'll research on them soon.

Why?
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by observanc1: 10:27am On May 03, 2019
Yujin:

dont bother to research anything. The afonja u quoted is an illiterate
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by observanc1: 10:31am On May 03, 2019
schoolboij:

That osu pig you quoted just wanna showcase his stupidity as usual. You should have ignored him.
u are an illiterate and land grabber.
I dare u, go to idah or ayangba and tell the igalas there that the yoruba. And then go to okene and tell the ebira people that they are yorubas. And see if u can make it alive to oshogbo

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by observanc1: 10:36am On May 03, 2019
vonxe:

I think Ganaja is an igala land, am not too sure. If yes then Ganaja shares boundary with lokoja
Ganaja and bassaland accross River Niger were owned by igalas till nupes from bida came and chased them further to the hinterland and took over.
I know this because i have been there and the bassa elders (who are actually nupes) told me so

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Nobody: 10:59am On May 03, 2019
observanc1:
u are an illiterate and land grabber.
I dare u, go to idah or ayangba and tell the igalas there that the yoruba. And then go to okene and tell the ebira people that they are yorubas. And see if u can make it alive to oshogbo

Who is this illiterate? Even after explaining what Yoruboid means. Go get educated you prick!

3 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by vonxe: 11:05am On May 03, 2019
waali:

The Igalas dominates Adankolo and Ganaja area.

I think the area around Barracks is dominated by the Ebiras. If I may ask, are you calling the Nupes Bassange (Bassa)? The Bassa people are mixed with the Hausas living in Kabawa and that old market side.

The thing is, you really can't tell. Bassa people are seen as Hausas too because they speak the language.

As we were told. The Hausas currently living in Lokoja are descendants of exiled kings who opposed the Europeans directives during the colonial rule.
Yeah the bassa are seen as hausas.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by observanc1: 12:51pm On May 03, 2019
schoolboij:

Who is this illiterate? Even after explaining what Yoruboid means. Go get educated you prick!
u are an ediotic cackoo

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 03, 2019
observanc1:
u are an ediotic cackoo

You better check yourself in a nearby asylum before you run enter market.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by observanc1: 8:26pm On May 03, 2019
schoolboij:

You better check yourself in a nearby asylum before you run enter market.
u are an imbecille.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Yujin(m): 4:40am On May 04, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Firstly, you have to know what being Yoruboid means. It has nothing to do with when a language was formed. It only has to do with language similarity and compatibility. If two languages share so much words and have similar sentence construction to an extent that they are mutually intelligible, then one becomes the dialect of the other but if the shared words are there with less sentence construction and low mutual intelligibility, then one is regarded as an -oid(pseudo dialect) of the other assumed to be the parent (where the language was derived). So it is in this vein that Igala was classified as Yoruboid. You can google it. I use to think otherwise given the relationship we had with Igalas until I met one guy who spoke the language. With my knowledge of Yoruba, I could pick up some words and few sentences. Notice that Bini language have some shared words with Yorubas but the sentence construction is quite tangential hence no mutual intelligibility. Hence, Bini is not classified as Yoruboid. The same is noticed between the Ika language and Bini language- though a lot of shared words but the sentence construction is quite different. Ika instead have similar sentence construction with Igbo and if you just substitute some Bini words with Igbo ones in a sentence written in Ika, you would understand it easily. Hope this helps.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Yujin(m): 4:47am On May 04, 2019
forgiveness:

Why?
You know already. Inasmuch as I'll like it to be part of Western Nigeria, I don't see its feasibility. Before colonial interruption, she was already under the caliphate. That was Afonja's fault not mine. Only the indigenes of Illorin can say otherwise and if anything I saw from the few I've met matters, I don't think they're looking westwards.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 4:58am On May 04, 2019
waali:

White is not the reference for nativity and indigenity of Lokoja. The whites came only in late 1800s. Before jihad of early 1800s there was no Fulani or Hausa camps in Lokoja. So explain to us how they got there. With time the camps became quarters.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bakare Didn’t Recommend Tinubu For President In Viral Video - Sola Adeyeye / Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms / The Economist 2016 Cover Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.