Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,911 members, 7,956,424 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:42 AM

Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. (11880 Views)

Which Tribe Donated This Blood Today? / Which Tribe Does Obasanjo Really Belongs to. Take a closer look / Amaechi Leaked Tape: Ibim Semenitari Admits Voice Belongs To Minister, Explains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 5:02am On May 04, 2019
vonxe:

Yeah the bassa are seen as hausas.

How can Bassa be Hausa? Im not sure you know who Hausas are.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 5:17am On May 04, 2019
Yujin:

You know already. Inasmuch as I'll like it to be part of Western Nigeria, I don't see its feasibility. Before colonial interruption, she was already under the caliphate. That was Afonja's fault not mine. Only the indigenes of Illorin can say otherwise and if anything I saw from the few I've met matters, I don't think they're looking westwards.

Nigeria practixes British civil law. Were the people and land we call Nigeria today British? No!

Caliphate in Nigeria started around 1807. Ilorin had existed as a center of Islamic learning long before that. Alimi became the cleric of Ilorin (not Emir) around 1827. Ilorin remained in Yoruba hands until around 1900 when British put it under Northern Protectorate. Ilorin never had an Oba. Automatically the Fulani muslim cleric assumed Emirship after joining the protectorate. The land, the culture, the religion, the language are all Yoruba. It would have to be reclaimed through conquest or through political concession. No other way but it's reclamation is possible.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Yujin(m): 11:38am On May 04, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Nigeria practixes British civil law. Were the people and land we call Nigeria today British? No!

Caliphate in Nigeria started around 1807. Ilorin had existed as a center of Islamic learning long before that. Alimi became the cleric of Ilorin (not Emir) around 1827. Ilorin remained in Yoruba hands until around 1900 when British put it under Northern Protectorate. Ilorin never had an Oba. Automatically the Fulani muslim cleric assumed Emirship after joining the protectorate. The land, the culture, the religion, the language are all Yoruba. It would have to be reclaimed through conquest or through political concession. No other way but it's reclamation is possible.
I don't want to appear like a fulani advocate but your insincerity is making me appear so. How come a centre of such in those days will have no ruler over her? I don't think so. You carefully avoided the mentioning of Afonja despite his notorious story. Alimi was similar to Fodio in that he was a clergy in an area under the control of another but he eventually usurped the throne. Don't rewrite history. One of the places the British encountered a commendable military organization during the military conquest of Nigeria was in Illorin and they were under a fulani emir. It's on record. The British had to use a better tactic to subdue the charging cavalry of Ilorin which was hitherto destined for Oshogbo after their first attempt failed. Don't come here to change history. The emir at Ilorin pointed to Sokoto as his superior that's why the British kept is so.
I agree with you that the only two ways to get it back is either through conquest (Which I think isn't feasible) or political concession(most likely but for a more better deal). Lol
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by lawani: 2:04pm On May 04, 2019
MetaPhysical:
It is indigeneous to Oworo (Yorubas) and dated far back into the age of NOK civilization. The town was formerly under protection of Ife Empire. It was an old trading post but began receiving settlers dislocated from other regions by war and conflicts and is why today Lokoja has diversity quarters belonging to different ethnic groups in North.

Ebira and Igala are Yoruboid groups themselves.

In fact the Igala say Lokoja is a compressed word and in their language it means in full "Lowa Ka Je Eja" (translated - come let us eat fish). In Yoruba come let us eat fish is Wa Ka Je Eja.
Ebira is not a yoruboid language

2 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by lawani: 2:27pm On May 04, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Ilorin was paying tribute to Ibadan in the 19th century. They were under Ibadan. Then the person that signed the British protection agreement was the Ajikobi not any emir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Guestlander: 2:29pm On May 04, 2019
Yujin:

I don't want to appear like a fulani advocate but your insincerity is making me appear so. How come a centre of such in those days will have no ruler over her? I don't think so. You carefully avoided the mentioning of Afonja despite his notorious story. Alimi was similar to Fodio in that he was a clergy in an area under the control of another but he eventually usurped the throne. Don't rewrite history. One of the places the British encountered a commendable military organization during the military conquest of Nigeria was in Illorin and they were under a fulani emir. It's on record. The British had to use a better tactic to subdue the charging cavalry of Ilorin which was hitherto destined for Oshogbo after their first attempt failed. Don't come here to change history. The emir at Ilorin pointed to Sokoto as his superior that's why the British kept is so.
I agree with you that the only two ways to get it back is either through conquest (Which I think isn't feasible) or political concession(most likely but for a more better deal). Lol

Everything is feasible, the only thing that could make Ilorin (not other Yoruba parts of Kwara) to remain in the north is if by referendum the people themselves decide to remain part of the north.
The Yorubas in Republic of Benin are just as authentic Yorubas as in Owo or Oshogbo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 2:44pm On May 04, 2019
Yujin:

The topic of the thread is not about Ilorin or about Afonja. Its about Lokoja. When I post on threads i bear in mind that my digression outside main topic must be kept at minimum and is why i was that brief. Open a Ilorin topic so i can school you on the politics, why there was no Oba in Ilorin but there was Oba in Jebba, why Alimi was not an Emir but a cleric and so om and so forth....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by mamdanju: 11:20pm On May 05, 2019
MetaPhysical:

I was at Lokoja yesterday, my home town and there is only one king, the Maigari of Lokoja. Google the Olu of Iworo and you will see that he doesn't exist.
I didn't say I was in Lokoja for 100 years but that my family, from Grand father till date we have over 100 year history

There are two leaderships in Lokoja. The maigari is on the Hausa side and they rule over the Nupe, both are settlers. There is Olu of Iworo, no one rules above him, he is over the aborigenes.

You cant be in Lokoja 100yrs and not know this, unless you are fake.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by mamdanju: 11:28pm On May 05, 2019
Palale in hausa means Rock that is very hard to break. Ask the hausa well diggers what it is and they will confirm to you what I said. Youre right, I am not strictly a hausa but babarbare (kanuri) but since we were born in Lokoja we grew up speaking hausa.

uote author=MetaPhysical post=78058011]

You are a bloody fake!

The Hausas in Lokoja were chased out of their enclaves in North during Jihad. They escaped and settled South, some were exiled by new Fulani rulers. They were given comfort and abode by the Oworos.

There is an Olu of Iworo and is the ruler over indigenes. Maigari only rules the settler quarters.

Dutse is Hausa for rock. I suspect you are not Yoruba, not Hausa, not Nupe, not even a resident of Lokoja but you are a third interest trying to subdue truth with fake and false info. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by YourNemesis: 7:41am On Jul 08, 2019
mamdanju:
PPalale in hausa means Rock that is very hard to break. Ask the hausa well diggers what it is and they will confirm to you what I said. Youre right, I am not strictly a hausa but babarbare (kanuri) but since we were born in Lokoja we grew up speaking hausa.

Kanuris speaking Hausa is hardly anything new... Even Kanuris born in Borno speak Hausa.. so?
Kanuris have since fallen in line and kept shut following the Hausa-Fulani Hegemony of Northern Nigeria like the humble third-wheelers they are.

When did Palale become Felele...lol. Yorubas do not have a problem with the mixing up of P and F unlike the Hausas, so if the original name the Owooros met there was Palale, there is no way on earth they would have modified it to something Felele. The worst you would get would be Kpalale.
The truth is that even the Nupe and her derivatives like the Bassa-Nges and the Kakandas far outnumber the Hausas in Lokoja, but many do speak Hausa and wanna appear to be Hausas.
Other than that, what exactly is the Hausa claim to the foundation of Lokoja as a town? everyone knows that Hausas in Lokoja are the Late comers, why are you trying to twist facts over on its head?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by oyatz(m): 7:18am On Jul 10, 2019
Hausaland is at least hundreds of Kilometers away from Lokoja.
All the surrounding towns/villages around Lokoja are NOT owned by Hausas, so how did Hausas own Lokoja?
In between Lokojo and Hausaland, there are several Villages/Towns and States belonging to several non-Hausa indigenous peoples like, Nupe, Gbagyi, Wushishi, Berom, Anaguta,Angas, Gwarri etc, so how did Hausas jumped over all these tribes to land in Lokoja and own the town?

Lord Lugard deposed several Hausa emirs and banished them with their supporters to Lokoja.

The fact that British colonized Nigeria and you can find places , including a State capital named in English Language (Port Harcourt) doesn't mean the British own Nigeria.

mamdanju:
Lokoja belongs to the Hausas and the Nipes. The Falele name you are talking about means Rock in hausa. Other streets such as kabawa was dominated by fishermen from Kebbi, Madabo was street of the scholars. There is another Madabo in kano,. Unguwan yashi means sand street in hausa. Pati is mountain in Nupe. The Paramount ruler of Lokoja is a hausa man addressed as the Maigari (owner) of Lokoja. Even the name Lokoja is a hausa name like Abuja. This issue has been settled at the supreme court already. Please do your homework well. Ask around. Check this Wikipedia link for further information.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokoja

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by oyatz(m): 8:51am On Jul 10, 2019
Ilorin was a province of the Old Oyo Empire and thus the Alaafin was the king of all the territories in the Empire and Afonja was a provincial Governor and a War Lord of the Empire before things fell apart and Afonja sought alliance with the FULANI intinerant cleric, sheik Salihu (alias Alimi) to seceed from the Empire.

Yujin:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by oyatz(m): 8:55am On Jul 10, 2019
Humans have live in Lokoja for centuries. How you assume that Lokoja was settled 100years ago baffle me.

It just like saying because the Emir of Zauzau is a FULANI that means Zaria was established by FULANI.

mamdanju:

It appears you have problem with comprehension. You also lack manners. You mean you did not read the part that say "The Nupe and Zazzau emirs agree with the Hausas to be the leader, while the Nupe to be the religion leader as chief imam of Lokoja"

My family have over 100 years history of living in Lokoja, so I know its history very well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by darfay: 3:42am On Apr 03, 2020
mamdanju:
Palale in hausa means Rock that is very hard to break. Ask the hausa well diggers what it is and they will confirm to you what I said. Youre right, I am not strictly a hausa but babarbare (kanuri) but since we were born in Lokoja we grew up speaking hausa.

uote author=MetaPhysical post=78058011]

You are a bloody fake!

The Hausas in Lokoja were chased out of their enclaves in North during Jihad. They escaped and settled South, some were exiled by new Fulani rulers. They were given comfort and abode by the Oworos.

There is an Olu of Iworo and is the ruler over indigenes. Maigari only rules the settler quarters.

Dutse is Hausa for rock. I suspect you are not Yoruba, not Hausa, not Nupe, not even a resident of Lokoja but you are a third interest trying to subdue truth with fake and false info.

why do kanuri people not like speaking their language, even in bornu and yobe where you constitute an overwhelming majority?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Now Going For Suicide, Slavery Missions Abroad Due To Hardships - PDP / U.S House Comm. on Foreign Affairs on Nigeria's Security status / I Have Stopped Collecting Pension In Kwara – Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.