Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. (11261 Views)

Which Tribe Donated This Blood Today? / Which Tribe Does Obasanjo Really Belongs to. Take a closer look / Amaechi Leaked Tape: Ibim Semenitari Admits Voice Belongs To Minister, Explains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Unlimitk(m): 4:33am On May 02, 2019
I Was researching on fb about lokoja and all d street names sounded yorubaish to me
I was seeing names like felele araromi isanlu and so on
D felele one was where LFC winners chapel church is located in lokoja
Now I want to ask: does lokoja belong to okuns(Yorubas) igala or ebira ppl
D igalas are mostly on d eastern side of d river Niger,that's d confluence river so they have less claim
I looked at d ebira's LGA in kogi and I didn't find lokoja as part of their LGA
But lokoja was part of kogi west LGA which is d okun(Yorubas) part of kogi state, I even looked at federal university of kogi in lokoja and most of d staff are Yorubas from professors to at one time d vc of federal university of lokoja
So with all these evidence, is it safe to say d okuns(Yorubas) own lokoja d capital of kogi state

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by chukwuibuipob: 4:38am On May 02, 2019
cool yoruba Amaka

5 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by celeiyke: 5:19am On May 02, 2019
U no get work. Whether owned by Hausa or Igbo, Lokoja is dominated by igala and they will keep dominating

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by MetaPhysical: 6:31am On May 02, 2019
It is indigeneous to Oworo (Yorubas) and dated far back into the age of NOK civilization. The town was formerly under protection of Ife Empire. It was an old trading post but began receiving settlers dislocated from other regions by war and conflicts and is why today Lokoja has diversity quarters belonging to different ethnic groups in North.

Ebira and Igala are Yoruboid groups themselves.

In fact the Igala say Lokoja is a compressed word and in their language it means in full "Lowa Ka Je Eja" (translated - come let us eat fish). In Yoruba come let us eat fish is Wa Ka Je Eja.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by mamdanju: 6:32am On May 02, 2019
Lokoja belongs to the Hausas and the Nipes. The Falele name you are talking about means Rock in hausa. Other streets such as kabawa was dominated by fishermen from Kebbi, Madabo was street of the scholars. There is another Madabo in kano,. Unguwan yashi means sand street in hausa. Pati is mountain in Nupe. The Paramount ruler of Lokoja is a hausa man addressed as the Maigari (owner) of Lokoja. Even the name Lokoja is a hausa name like Abuja. This issue has been settled at the supreme court already. Please do your homework well. Ask around. Check this Wikipedia link for further information.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokoja

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:42am On May 02, 2019
Jews And Pharisees

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by ChristianNorth: 7:52am On May 02, 2019
So they wan grab this one? Na knife aboki go put for una neck.
Someone is even claiming that Igala is Yoruboid.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by mancheeutd(m): 7:59am On May 02, 2019
ChristianNorth:
So they wan grab this one? Na knife aboki go put for una neck.

Someone is even claiming that Igala is Yoruboid.
grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by SLAP44: 8:10am On May 02, 2019
Yoruba stops in the 5 southwest states of
Ogun
Ondo
Ekiti
Oyo
Osun

Lagos belongs to the whole Nigeria.

Quote me and get an e slap.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Guestlander: 8:18am On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:
Ogun
Ondo
Ekiti
Oyo
Osun

Lagos belongs to the whole of Nigeria just as Ado Ekiti and Awka belongs to the whole of Nigeria. If Nigeria should ever break up, your territory automatically reverts back to where it was before the British colonized Nigeria.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by SLAP44: 8:22am On May 02, 2019
Guestlander:

Lagos belongs to the whole of Nigeria just as Ado Ekiti and Awka belongs to the whole of Nigeria. If Nigeria should ever break up your territory automatically revert back to where it was before the British colonized Nigeria.

If Nigeria should break up, we calculate the assets bought with oil money in Lagos and split it among the tribes that own oil. You cannot be grabbing lands everywhere. Yoruba arrived in Lagos just like every other tribe did.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by victormartyn(m): 8:24am On May 02, 2019
Na Oworo e go be jare
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Westbestside: 8:48am On May 02, 2019
mamdanju:
Lokoja belongs to the Hausas and the Nipes. The Falele name you are talking about means Rock in hausa. Other streets such as kabawa was dominated by fishermen from Kebbi, Madabo was street of the scholars. There is another Madabo in kano,. Unguwan yashi means sand street in hausa. Pati is mountain in Nupe. The Paramount ruler of Lokoja is a hausa man addressed as the Maigari (owner) of Lokoja. Even the name Lokoja is a hausa name like Abuja. This issue has been settled at the supreme court already. Please do your homework well. Ask around. Check this Wikipedia link for further information.
Why are you disgracing yourself?

Even your wiki did not mention Hausa.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Westbestside: 8:51am On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:
Ogun
Ondo
Ekiti
Oyo
Osun

This ijaw sl*ve from yeast is in Sifia pain.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Westbestside: 8:58am On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:

If Nigeria should break up, we calculate the assets bought with oil money in Lagos and split it among the tribes that own oil. You cannot be grabbing lands everywhere. Yoruba arrived in Lagos just like every other tribe did.
Hope you know your tribe is not among.

But it seems only Lagos was developed with oil money o. Won't you share Kano join cheesy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Guestlander: 9:16am On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:

Well, I like to know the historical precedence of this type of calculation you are proposing. As far as I know not an inch of land was bought with oil money anywhere in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by NobleAngell(f): 9:20am On May 02, 2019
chukwuibuipob:
cool yoruba Amaka
You really cracked me up with this. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by NobleAngell(f): 9:22am On May 02, 2019
Westbestside:

Are There Hausas in Kogi? I'm surprised.
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by NobleAngell(f): 9:24am On May 02, 2019
MetaPhysical:
It is indigeneous to Oworo (Yorubas) and dated far back into the age of NOK civilization. The town was formerly under protection of Ife Empire. It was an old trading post but began receiving settlers dislocated from other regions by war and conflicts and is why today Lokoja has diversity quarters belonging to different ethnic groups in North.

Ebira and Igala are Yoruboid groups themselves.

In fact the Igala say Lokoja is a compressed word and in their language it means in full "Lowa Ka Je Eja" (translated - come let us eat fish). In Yoruba come let us eat fish is Wa Ka Je Eja.
Hmm mm, interesting!
Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by forgiveness: 9:30am On May 02, 2019
mamdanju:

Which Hausa? The supreme court judgement was under the Hausa regime. What do you expect?

For now, let everybody enjoy the peace in the city but if Nigeria disintegrates, Ilorin, Jebba, Kanji dam, Shiroro dam and Lokoja must be taken back by their rightful owners.

In this case, Supreme court judgement will not be effective but the old maps before or after the colonial masters annexed the entity called Nigeria shall be used to determine who owns what.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by forgiveness: 9:34am On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:

Since Ondo state produces oil, Lagos developed with Ondo state oil money.

Besides, itsekiri produces more oil than any group in Nigeria and they are under the umbrella of egbe omo odua.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by mamdanju: 11:31am On May 02, 2019
Westbestside:

It appears you have problem with comprehension. You also lack manners. You mean you did not read the part that say "The Nupe and Zazzau emirs agree with the Hausas to be the leader, while the Nupe to be the religion leader as chief imam of Lokoja"

My family have over 100 years history of living in Lokoja, so I know its history very well.

4 Likes

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Herdsmen: 11:55am On May 02, 2019
mamdanju:

It appears you have problem with comprehension. You also lack manners. You mean you did not read the part that say "The Nupe and Zazzau emirs agree with the Hausas to be the leader, while the Nupe to be the religion leader as chief imam of Lokoja"

My family have over 100 years history of living in Lokoja, so I know its history very well.

You don't argue with sophisticated people..they sit in their ikire village and be shouting online..

That man you mentioned..don't know where lokoja is located ..talk more of being there.

The other one that was saying verbertim don't even understand what he's saying...

Said ebira and igala are yorboid group...

Just ignore this thread and move on...
Someday dia eyes go clear...na Dem go use dia hand reset dia brain and bountary.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Timmypromise(m): 12:17pm On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:
Ogun
Ondo
Ekiti
Oyo
Osun

Ass licking no go kill you.....better pack your yeye product to the east before tinubu chase you

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by Seezzy(m): 4:07pm On May 02, 2019
First, I won't say "tribes"; I'd rather say 'language' of the first settlers or owners. The first or founding settlers of Lokoja are the Oworos, but some people argue that there are other settlers. These settlers occupied different places in Lokoja before the advent of the colonialists.

The first settlers of Mount Patti, for instance, were the people of Bassa. " Patti" is a word that means "mountain" in Bassa language. Speakers of Bassa language migrated from Bida, in present day Niger state. Though speakers of Bassa language are no longer settlers of the mountain today, they occupy places like Adankolo and Lokongoma in Lokoja.

On the aspect of the Oworo settlers, it was from them that the name "Lokoja" was even coined. It was originally called "Ilu ko jò"(pardon me if I didn't write the 'diacritics' correctly!), which roughly means " coming together of different towns/people ". It was because the colonialists couldn't pronounce it correctly by pronouncing it as " Lokoja ", that it came to be known that way. In present times, Oworos are major settlers of Felele and its environs.

Though it's debatable, I think other settlers are not as old as the Oworos and the Bassas in Lokoja.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by thatigboman: 5:20pm On May 02, 2019
forgiveness:

Since Ondo state produces oil, Lagos developed with Ondo state oil money.

Besides, itsekiri produces more oil than any group in Nigeria and they are under the umbrella of egbe omo odua.
there's no oil in ondo, only bitumen

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by forgiveness: 6:08pm On May 02, 2019
thatigboman:
there's no oil in ondo, only bitumen

I see. cool

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by TAO11(f): 8:03pm On May 02, 2019
Seezzy:
First, I won't say "tribes"; I'd rather say 'language' of the first settlers or owners. The first or founding settlers of Lokoja are the Oworos, but some people argue that there are other settlers. These settlers occupied different places in Lokoja before the advent of the colonialists.

The first settlers of Mount Patti, for instance, were the people of Bassa. " Patti" is a word that means "mountain" in Bassa language. Speakers of Bassa language migrated from Bida, in present day Niger state. Though speakers of Bassa language are no longer settlers of the mountain today, they occupy places like Adankolo and Lokongoma in Lokoja.

On the aspect of the Oworo settlers, it was from them that the name "Lokoja" was even coined. It was originally called "Ilu ko jò"(pardon me if I didn't write the 'diacritics' correctly!), which roughly means " coming together of different towns/people ". It was because the colonialists couldn't pronounce it correctly by pronouncing it as " Lokoja ", that it came to be known that way. In present times, Oworos are major settlers of Felele and its environs.

Though it's debatable, I think other settlers are not as old as the Oworos and the Bassas in Lokoja.

Why does "Ilu ko jo" sound so Yoruba and also have the same exact meaning it would have in Yoruba, i.e. "coming together of towns or people of the towns"??

Modified:

Lokoja is in Kogi state. I had thought Plateau state is what is being discussed.

1 Like

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by oyatz(m): 8:35pm On May 02, 2019
Different people live and claim ownership of Lokoja but it seems the Oworo (Okun subgroup of the Yorubas) are the earliest to settle in Lokoja.

The Hausas seems to be the most recent migrants to Lokoja.
The lingual Franca in Lokoja are Yoruba and Pidgin. An average person on the streets of Lokoja can't communicate in Hausa.

Igala is also fairly well spoken.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by LazyGold(m): 9:45pm On May 02, 2019
SLAP44:

Yoruba have more Oil than the Whole South East

Oil in Ondo alone is more than Oil in Entire South East and Don't Forget Lagos now have Oil

And even Oil in Lagos Is more than Oil in Entire south East

Lagos was developed by Yoruba Oil Money and you have nothing in Lagos, most of you come to Lagos with nothing and you will return with nothing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Tribe Does Lokoja Belongs To?. by excanny: 12:22am On May 03, 2019
It was first settled by a Yoruboid group from Ile Ife.
Followed by other non-yoruba groups who settled there as well.

But it seems like no-man's-land tho. Cos the Yoruba group became seriously outnumbered.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Burundi: Goodluck Jonathan Mourns Nkurunziza, Prays For Peaceful Transition / FG Suspends Proposed VAT On Telecommunication Services / Edo Lp/obidient Fitness Walk Suffers Setback As Top Stakeholders Pull Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.