Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,073 members, 7,821,685 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 (1562 Views)

Why Would God Kill Jesus Not The Devil? / Why Can't God Kill Satan Once And For All / Why Didnt God Kill Satan From The Onset? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by dollyj1996(m): 5:29pm On May 05, 2019
My people it bothers me when I go through this particular chapter and I wonder why God smote Uzzah to death cause I see Uzzah as a man who have zeal to the things of God. It was like he tried to prevent the Ark of covenant from falling if that was his intention why was he killed..a version of the Bible said he didn't honor God some people believed its because he might probably not from Priesthood family so I need ur opinion(s) bible scholars
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by shortgun(m): 5:35pm On May 05, 2019
dollyj1996:
My people it bothers me when I go through this particular chapter and I wonder why God smote Uzzah to death cause I see Uzzah as a man who have zeal to the things of God. It was like he tried to prevent the Ark of covenant from falling if that was his intention why was he killed..a version of the Bible said he didn't honor God some people believed its because he might probably not from Priesthood family so I need ur opinion(s) bible scholars
You already have your answer.
Non Levites are not allowed to touch the ark of covenant, the punishment for disobedience is death.
Although his intentions were good cos the ark was not supposed to touch d earth.
God is a God of justice... Justice must prevail before Him.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Acehart: 5:52pm On May 05, 2019
shortgun:

You already have your answer.
Non Levites are not allowed to touch the ark of covenant.

Uzzah was a Levite (1 Sam. 7:1, 1 Chron. 24:3-6) . He needs help not schenanigans.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Uyi168: 6:19pm On May 05, 2019
God did so many absurd stuffs in the Bible..
It's really crazy when u see people still defend such god

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Acehart: 6:21pm On May 05, 2019
dollyj1996:

Uzzah was a Levite, of the house of Eleazar. Levites were brought up strictly to follow the ways handed down from their fathers. Tradition has it that immediately they start to speak as children, they are taught the ways of the Levite. David had the ark put in his house due to contingencies. The ark of testimony was to be feared from the time of Moses and to the recent havoc the ark caused in the land of The Philistines. But this fearful thing was put in his house for many years even from his childhood and it meant nothing to him.

The scriptures says, “Honour your father and mother, that your days may be long”. If Uzzah as a child was strictly taught that of all things to touch never you touch the ark; the day you touch it, you will die. I say this as conjecture seeing that foolishness is in the heart of a child, Uzzah touched that ark for many years till adulthood and God did nothing.

The scripture says, “Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God” Romans 2:4-5

These verses up there reveal the mercy of God and the Judgement of God. To forbear means “to politely restrain an impulse to do something”. God restrained from killing him for many years because of His mercy. In the end, His righteousness prevailed: He must punish sin. Like several of His ancestors (Eli in mind) and even today, God sends His messenger to warn evildoers to stop their evil ways. That day was Uzzah’s day of judgment.

I’d like to ask this: which is more filthy - the mud the ark would have fallen on or the hands of a sinner?
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Samueldodo781(m): 6:21pm On May 05, 2019
Uyi168:
God did so many absurd stuffs in the Bible..
It's really crazy when u see people still defend such god

This one na mumu oo

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by jcross19: 6:34pm On May 05, 2019
Acehart:

Uzzah was a Levite (1 Sam. 7:1, 1 Chron. 24:3-6) . He needs help not schenanigans.

that god only kill the poor people in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by jcross19: 6:38pm On May 05, 2019
Samueldodo781:

This one na mumu oo
is not mumu the Israelites committed crime against humanity and tagged it holy war or righteous killing . all the crime they committed were termed by God .

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by shortgun(m): 7:19pm On May 05, 2019
Acehart:

Brother learn to grow, do your findings well before u speak or type.
There is no where in the Bible where uzzah was said to be a Levite.
Abinadab his father was not a Levite, the ark of covenant was only kept in his house.(this does not make him a Levite)
Amminadad is different from Abinadab
Amminadad is a Levite while Abinadab is not.
1 chronicles 15:11-15.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by power50: 7:26pm On May 05, 2019
Do you own a church? List your church on Nigerian church directory https://www.naijachurches.com.ng/
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by madegreatbygrace(m): 7:35pm On May 05, 2019
From Numbers 4:5-15, we understand that the ark must be moved only by the levites. Uzzah may have been a levite, but the levites were instructed to move the ark using the carrying ropes. They were not permitted to touch the ark. To touch it was a capital offence under Hebrew law and also a sin.

Did God kill Uzzah ? No, He didn't. God does not minister death. He ministers life!
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by MuttleyLaff: 7:42pm On May 05, 2019
dollyj1996:
"3They set the ark of God on a new cart and brought it from the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, were guiding the new cart,
4bringing with it the ark of God from the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. And Ahio was walking in front of the ark.
5David and all the house of Israel were celebrating before the LORD with all kinds of wood instruments, harps, stringed instruments, tambourines, sistrums, and cymbals.
6When they came to the threshing floor of Nachon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of God, because the oxen had stumbled.
7And the anger of the LORD burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down on the spot for his irreverence, and he died there beside the ark of God.
"
- 2 Samuel 6:3-6

dollyj1996, it's like you are projecting an idea, that God didnt know what He was doing in regards to Uzzah fate and nemesis, erh?
I can show you in 2 Samuel 6:3-6, that monkey business, fatal attraction, dereliction of duty and vain glory was what caused the fatal end of Uzzah

madegreatbygrace:
From Numbers 4:5-15, we understand that the ark must be moved only by the levites. Uzzah may have been a levite, but the levites were instructed to move the ark using the carrying ropes. They were not permitted to touch the ark. To touch it was a capital offence under Hebrew law and also a sin.

Did God kill Uzzah ? No, He didn't. God does not minister death. He ministers life!
2 Samuel 6:6 states that, God struck him down on the spot for his irreverence and familiarity breeds contempt sensibility. Ezekiel 18:20 even attests that the soul that sinneth, it shall die

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by OtemAtum: 7:55pm On May 05, 2019
Yahweh is very violent and evil

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by OtemAtum: 7:57pm On May 05, 2019
Samueldodo781:

This one na mumu oo
how is he a mumu? Yahweh is the Mr mumu here joor.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Acehart: 8:08pm On May 05, 2019
shortgun:

Brother learn to grow, do your findings well before u speak or type.
There is no where in the Bible where uzzah was said to be a Levite.
Abinadab his father was not a Levite, the ark of covenant was only kept in his house.(this does not make him a Levite)
Amminadad is different from Abinadab
Amminadad is a Levite while Abinadab is not.
1 chronicles 15:11-15.

Haste is an infantile trait. Please read the following when you are less busy:

1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Abinadab

2. https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/2-samuel/6.html
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by madegreatbygrace(m): 8:44pm On May 05, 2019
Dear Muttleylaff, many people think the old testament explains the new. But that is not the case. It's the new testament that explains the old. The old testament contains portions of the truth but the new testament contains the full truth. Thus if you don't understand the new testament, you'll never understand the old testament.

Remember the words of Jesus in John 1:18 :

" No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten son who is in the bosom of the Father has declared him. "

What does this mean? It means before Jesus came to the earth, no one really knew God. No one had a complete and accurate knowledge of God. Jesus came to reveal the nature and character of the Father. So, all the old testament writers, prophets, patriarch and heroes that came before Jesus didn't really know God.

Why was that? Because the Spirit of God didn't dwell in them , they weren't given revelations and understanding.

If I asked you who Moses was talking to in the burning Bush account in exodus, you'll most probably tell me it was God. However acts 7: 30 makes us to understand that Moses was talking to an angel. Also, if I asked you who Moses was conversing with on mount Sinai, you'll also tell me it was God. But the book of acts 7:38 and 7:53 tells us it was an angel. This was also corroborated by Hebrews 2:2 and Galatians 3:19

So what's my point? You can not rely on the information provided by the old testament to build a doctrine. The new testament validates the old testament.

So who killed Uzzah? It was definitely not God. Uzzah broke a law and committed a sin. The bible calls the law ministry of death ( 2 corinthians 3: 7).So the law itself ministers death without the input of God.Once a man breaks a law, he dies. It's not God that is responsible for this death because death is God's enemy.Therefore, Satan wields death and not God
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by MuttleyLaff: 9:07pm On May 05, 2019
madegreatbygrace:
Dear Muttleylaff, many people think the old testament explains the new. But that is not the case. It's the new testament that explains the old. The old testament contains portions of the truth but the new testament contains the full truth. Thus if you don't understand the new testament, you'll never understand the old testament.
My dear madegreatbygrace, the Old and New Testament compliment each other

madegreatbygrace:
Remember the words of Jesus in John 1:18 :
"No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten son who is in the bosom of the Father has declared him"

What does this mean? It means before Jesus came to the earth, no one really knew God. No one had a complete and accurate knowledge of God. Jesus came to reveal the nature and character of the Father. So, all the old testament writers, prophets, patriarch and heroes that came before Jesus didn't really know God.

Why was that? Because the Spirit of God didn't dwell in them , they weren't given revelations and understanding.

If I asked you who Moses was talking to in the burning Bush account in exodus, you'll most probably tell me it was God. However acts 7: 30 makes us to understand that Moses was talking to an angel. Also, if I asked you who Moses was conversing with on mount Sinai, you'll also tell me it was God. But the book of acts 7:38 and 7:53 tells us it was an angel. This was also corroborated by Hebrews 2:2 and Galatians 3:19

So what's my point? You can not rely on the information provided by the old testament to build a doctrine. The new testament validates the old testament.
You have just confirmed the popular saying, that states, the New Testament lies hidden in the Old and the Old Testament is unveiled in the New.

madegreatbygrace:
So who killed Uzzah? It was definitely not God. Uzzah broke a law and committed a sin. The bible calls the law ministry of death ( 2 corinthians 3: 7). So the law itself ministers death without the input of God.Once a man breaks a law, he dies. It's not God that is responsible for this death because death is God's enemy.Therefore, Satan wields death and not God
Who allowed and allows death, huh? Is it God or Satan erh?

You are arguing for the sake of arguing, though you read 2 Samuel 6:6 stating that, God struck Uzzah down on the spot for his irreverence and familiarity breeds contempt sensibility. Ezekiel 18:20 even attests that the soul that sinneth, it according to God's rule, shall die

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by UceeGod: 9:23pm On May 05, 2019
Uzzah’s error was more than just a reflex action or instinct. God struck Uzzah because his action was based upon a critical error in thinking.
· Uzzah erred in thinking it didn’t matter who carried the ark.
· Uzzah erred in thinking it didn’t matter how the ark was carried.
· Uzzah erred in thinking he knew all about the ark because it was in his father’s house for so long.
· Uzzah erred in thinking that God couldn’t take care of the ark of Himself.
· Uzzah erred in thinking that the ground of Nachon’s threshing floor was less holy than his own hand.

Uzzah made a decision in a moment to disregard God’s command and to do what seemed right to him. Even decisions made in a moment matter before God.

He saw no difference between the ark and any other valuable article. His intention to help was right enough; but there was a profound insensibility to the awful sacredness of the ark, on which even its Levitical bearers were forbidden to lay hands.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Oshin56(m): 9:25pm On May 05, 2019
In everything you are doing try to face your business because if uzzah face his business that dau he might not die that day and secondly what will be will be
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by madegreatbygrace(m): 9:40pm On May 05, 2019
I think I made my points simple enough to understand. The fact that the old testament says God struck Uzzah doesn't mean it is true. That was why i gave you some examples with Moses. I can even give you more. Who allowed death? To answer that we must know how death enters the world, which is through sin ( Romans 5:12).Are you going to blame God for that too? What is death? Death means separation. Death belongs to the kingdom of darkness where Satan reings. One of the tools of the kingdom of darkness, which Satan uses is death.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by MuttleyLaff: 9:59pm On May 05, 2019
madegreatbygrace:
I think I made my points simple enough to understand.
The fact that the old testament says God struck Uzzah doesn't mean it is true. That was why i gave you some examples with Moses. I can even give you more. Who allowed death? To answer that we must know how death enters the world, which is through sin ( Romans 5:12). Are you going to blame God for that too? What is death? Death means separation. Death belongs to the kingdom of darkness where Satan reings. One of the tools of the kingdom of darkness, which Satan uses is death.
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it:
for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
"
- Genesis 2:17

Nobody is doing a blaming game here. What we are doing is, going by the facts. Everything I type madegreatbygrace, can be fact-checked from the Bible, by you and other readers.

When it comes to death, the buck stops with God. As God has the power to take away Uzzah's life so He has the power to extend life, just as He did, in the case of King Hezekiah, giving him 15 years more to live before dying. Satan is only taking advantage of "the soul that sinneth shall die" God rule.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by dollyj1996(m): 10:04pm On May 05, 2019
OtemAtum:
Yahweh is very violent and evil
sir that's a wrong impression The Lord is gracious and merciful...we are in the period of GRACE compared to the time of LAW
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by dollyj1996(m): 10:15pm On May 05, 2019
I want to say a big thank you to u all who contributed toward the discussed topic may God continue to enrich ur knowledge... Amen
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by MuttleyLaff: 12:01am On May 06, 2019
dollyj1996:
sir that's a wrong impression The Lord is gracious and merciful...we are in the period of GRACE compared to the time of LAW
Are you minding the out of control rebel

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by OtemAtum: 12:24am On May 06, 2019
dollyj1996:
Yahweh knows what I'm talking about. His wickedness was well recorded in the BOOK OF UNIVERSAL HISTORY.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by MuttleyLaff: 6:40am On May 06, 2019
dollyj1996:
I want to say a big thank you to u all who contributed toward the discussed topic may God continue to enrich ur knowledge... Amen
Only God saw and knew that it was Uzzah himself, who tripped, pushed or made the oxen to stumble, so to give him a chance to fraudulently shine as a save the day hero.

The oxen stumbled alright, but the Ark of the Covenant was not affected, as the cart didn’t fall and neither did the Ark but Uzzah, brawn and no brains, whose name means strength, had better and bright ideas to infamy. Simple and expressed instruction meant nothing to him. Instead of safeguarding the oxen and the Ark of Covenant, his dereliction of duty, his rascality and determination to touch the Ark, even against all odds of it ever falling, dearly cost him his life.

People have died from merely just nosey parker peering into the Ark of Covenant, but he wants to touch the Ark of Covenant up when he knows he is not suppose to, huh?

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by dollyj1996(m): 8:17am On May 06, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Only God saw and knew that it was Uzzah himself, who tripped, pushed or made the oxen to stumble, so to give him a chance to fraudulently shine as a save the day hero.

The oxen stumbled alright, but the Ark of the Covenant was not affected, as the cart didn’t fall and neither did the Ark but Uzzah, brawn and no brains, whose name means strength, had better and bright ideas to infamy. Simple and expressed instruction meant nothing to him. Instead of safeguarding the oxen and the Ark of Covenant, his dereliction of duty, his rascality and determination to touch the Ark, even against all odds of it ever falling, dearly cost him his life.

People have died from merely just nosey parker peering into the Ark of Covenant, but he wants to touch the Ark of Covenant up when he knows he is not suppose to, huh?
so we can conclude that he died cause of his disobedience right?
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by MuttleyLaff: 8:36am On May 06, 2019
dollyj1996:
so we can conclude that he died cause of his disobedience right?
Of course, is the Pope catholic? Absolutely, for that and all

Remember that he wasnt a first casualty, people earlier, in 1 Samuel 6:19, died from merely just nosey parker looking into the Ark of Covenant, they got dealt a heavy blow didnt they

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by TrajansKong: 8:44am On May 06, 2019
madegreatbygrace:
...So who killed Uzzah? It was definitely not God. Uzzah broke a law and committed a sin. The bible calls the law ministry of death ( 2 corinthians 3: 7).So the law itself ministers death without the input of God.Once a man breaks a law, he dies. It's not God that is responsible for this death because death is God's enemy.Therefore, Satan wields death and not God

Beautiful, immaculate, slavish insanity grin grin grin!!!
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 06, 2019
Death is a spirit the devil never create!! The Bible made it clear that God struck him, even Herod was struck by an angel and he died immediately. Uzzah died for touching the ark, maybe too much familiarity. God is great and merciful, but is judgement could be more terrible than the appearance of devil and its cohorts altogether.
Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 06, 2019
dollyj1996:

Uzzah touched the Ark. Every Levite tribe had its duties. The sons of Kohath had the work on carrying the Ark on there shoulders, but they were not to touch the Ark. Touching it carries a death sentence. In other words, not even all Levites, which Uzzah undoubtedly belongs, touches the ark read Nu 4:15, 19, 20.

The mode of transporting the Ark was not recommended. No doubt, God knew that any other means of transportation could result in situations like this. Hence He outlined that they carry it on the shoulder, not a chariot.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Kill Uzzah In 2 Samuel 6:6 by Kobojunkie: 1:58am On Dec 23, 2023
dollyj1996:
Above all else, what God desires is absolute obedience. Uzziah disobeyed God's very Law and tried to touch that which God said he should not. undecided

(1) (Reply)

The "Black Jesus" Is One Of The False Christs That Would Arise In The Last Days / Making Up Your Cv / The Religion Of Jesus (peace Be Upon Him)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.