Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant (59862 Views)

How True Is The Myth About This Plant And What's The English Name / What's The Best Crop To Plant And Have Maximum Output On A 3 Plots Of Land? / Castor Plant And Castor Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 26, 2019
Jayfarms:

Wow! I have been quietly following your threads for a while now, that is, under your previous pen name and the new one. I am new to the agricultural sector and have been trying to test the depth of my interest. I arrived at Agribusiness via a roundabout way. But your direct and forthright manner has both scared and encouraged me�. When I say scared, you are in good company here! A few of my friends who have previously dabbled into farming also told warned me off in no uncertain terms! But your openness about your struggles is very much appreciated and highly respected. I am a very private and introverted person and even now I am not sure I can be as open as you have been on such a public platform. But we need people like you to lead the way. I pray for you that the Almighty will restore you to full health so you can reap the fruits of your labour and so you can keep up the good work you do here. You are an inspiration.

Amen to your prayer. Thank you brother.

The bolded sentence is funny. You got to the round about and got still cos you were confused which way to go, and you just moved round and round the center without moving forward and backward. Lol.

Fact: Farming, especially veggie, spices, essential oil seeds, herbs, and trees, are good. The fastest are veggie, very rewarding, and that is where "I shook head enter". Lol!

Why veggie especially cucumber, zuchini, okra, lettuce, and radish? Just 35 to 45 days you are already in the market. Just imagine, you have 6 plots (even 3 and above is fine), and time to settle children's school fees is coming, just target your vacation like 2 to 3 months before that period and go to your site. Invest on the land, and build 2 to 3-bedrooms apartment there. (but make sure farming technique is perfect before this investment). You cannot be driving to farm daily. Its exhausting. Then build cheap house for workers. That is your other home. Of course, not in the inner bush, but quite near city. If you can, get solar energy and generator to make your 2 months adventure meaningful there. And take your Bible, Novel, Kuran, or any other books there to build you. Or maybe you play games. Lol! You can pull out something meaningful there. After, close your farm and return till you have time. Do not say you want to keep it running, and you employ a farm manager. You are in big trouble. "Farm managers and consultants no send you". They will be destroying you and they know, and they will be asking for their salaries. When I see upcoming small farms asking for farm manager on nairaland, I just smile. Invitation to dine with devil. LOL

Let's say you are abroad, if you can get your vacation around the time tomato is expensive, do it. I know guys who do part time job that allows them travel for 4, 5 months. Come around Feb/March If you get 1 ha farm, build a small house there. Of course, let it be in a modern place. If you have to get 8 plots in a fast developing area, it's fine. Use 6 plots = 1 acre to farm. No need to enter "Eledumare Forest". Hahaha! Where you enter your farm with only bike, and travel like 39 mins on bike. For what naoooooo? And build something small on half a plot. You can think of broiler chickens and raise to 3 months and sell too. If you cannot do odorless poultry, let it slide.

Then, get on board with tomato. You can outsource nursery management till 35 days before your arrival. Get 4,000 seedlings on 1 acre. Mainwhile, use 1 plot to do cucumber to keep yourself running the farm without getting broke.

If I can successfully make 12 to 19kg plant with what I want to do here ( just let us keep watching), it means you should be able to get around 8kg per plant minimum. That's roughly 914 baskets. And you are targeting when it's minimum of N10,000 per basket. That's roughly N9 million sales. Of course, you will know the risks involved before you enter it. LOL. But I tell you, there is a combo that I have, it gives 250 to 355g per fruit, and average of 60 to 75 fruits per plant in 2 months harvests. If that particular works for you, and you can get your farm management well, or you can find someone who is good to team up with you, that's something worth doing bro. But never count your eggs before they hatch. The road is rough, but achievable.

My brother, you need to try it yourself. 1 or 10 plants at home. Be sure it is real that it can give what is said it will give. Next step is removing hindrances and obstacles on your farm. Get yourself on that farm. Find a way to do it. Set up well. And then be sure which combo is good for your farm. You must hace tested it at home too. Remove guess work. Test your
soil, or you use different varieties on the land first.

Get cool headed helpers, and not crazy boys. I have no advice or suggestion here cos I do not have solution yet. All boys want to start drivimg their own Tricycle (Keke Napep) or ride bike. lol. But no use jazz on the boys oooo. Lol.

You can get it if you really want it. You gat to try, try, try and try - Bob Marley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Jayfarms: 8:12pm On May 26, 2019
Ha ha I love Bob Marley �! I mean ...
Now to your comments. I mean my approach to Agriculture was roundabout because I was researching investments in a totally separate business, when a change in rules by the government agency meant that the financial projections became unstable at best. I do not generally like to do business with the government, it’s a waste of effort as far as I’m concerned. However, we all need to operate within the framework of government regulations, and when the rules keep shifting, it makes doing business and attracting any kind of reasonable investment almost impossible. So I decided to find a different business that is adjacent to my original plan.
While looking into that someone lured me into buying some grains from the north and selling in the south. Well that was something! It was an expensive lesson, but I learned some valuable lessons along the way that brought me to decide to go into farming. I have been researching what aspect and the best way to structure it so that I can supervise it myself and I think I have a some idea now.
Most importantly for me is that I would like to have an organic farm. Thus I am very excited that you are now converted to the organic way. But jokes aside, this is about healthy living for me. Profits are secondary, they will come in due course. That is now what is exercising my mind. I am bracing for how that might work in a farm setting and your particular insights have been quite interesting. Your advice above is very much appreciated. It is almost a mirror image of my plan. The main difference is that I am hoping to do a fairly large pilot on a specific type of food forest. Still working out the kinks. Labour matters have also been consuming my time, but I think I have a couple of people that God has prepared ahead to work with but still need some more. May God help us to learn to deal honestly in this country.
Blessings to you my brother.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 8:14pm On May 26, 2019
Kudos!!!
Please how many gram should be put per hole for agric lime, thanks
Pistotita:

Of course limestone will do the job. Also, Cacium Carbonate, Calcium Hydroxide will do it. But these are delicate options. Infact, all Calcium-whatever will do the job except Calcium Nitrate which does not adjust PH. If you know how to use each of them. Hydroponics users use Carbonate or Hydroxide, interchanged with Potassium Hydroxide to adjust PH. While hydroxide dissoves, carbonate does not.

But the best you should use is special Agric lime. It is derived from limestone with primary active ingredient as carbonate. A search on google gave this definition:
Agricultural lime, also called aglime, agricultural limestone, garden lime or liming, is a soil additive made from pulverized limestone or chalk. The primary active component is calcium carbonate

Go to any Federal Agro-Service (not sure of the name if it is correct the way I have written it) in your state and get subsidized fertilizer and chemicals. AgLime is like N1,500 or so for 50kg. The cheapest I have come across. NPK 15 15 15 will soon be banned (I wrote about it in one of my posts, and how I support Audu Ogbeh on this move), so, they have NPK 20 10 10 which is around N5,500 for 50kg in a green bag. Urea is subsidized by some State governments and sold there too. And there are numerous chemicals you will get there. But do not expect to get the powerful and most recent ones. It's been long I used these products since most of my set up recently are hydroponics. Good luck on that.

Tomato
Determinate: I do not prune at all. What I do is just remove bottom leaves if they are touching ground or touching mulch. Also, I remove yellow leaves. That's all. My determinates are special cultivars. My population on 1 acre is always 3,000 to 5,000. So, they are cultivars that spread and gets so big. Instead of fertilizing 10,000 crops on an acre (most cultivars are 10,000 per acre). Just imagine how much I save on fertilizer. Staking is cheap. Horizontal style . Harvest for 2 months. Very heavy!

Semi Determinate: I make my stakes Vertical and Horizontal. No pruning too. Harvest for 4 months. Heavy too. But 2 batches = 4mths of my determinates yield more than one of 4 mthe semi determinate

Indeterminate: Staking is vertical. Pruning is 2 to 3 stems. All lateral branches (suckers removed). And I practise lowering of stems. Same as Capsicum.

Cucumber
Monoecious: Very heavy fruits. I keep one stem, remove 4 lateral branches (suckers) from bottom, and from the fifth up, I leave just one node one each lateral, and I cut off the tip so that growth stops there. If the loads are getting too heavy and I notice fruit abortion, I remove some upper lateral branches completely till its balanced again. When they reach the top of my stake which usually is around 2m high from ground level, I allow it blow out without pruning anymore. If early cultivar and I notice the stems aren't as robust as I want, I remove 2 to 4 female flowers from the bottom. Enzymes help a lot.

Pre-dominant Female: Same as monoecious, except I leave 2 - 4 nodes on the lateral branches. It depends on the sizes of the fruits, and flower abortion rate. Enzymes help in all cultivars to prevent abortion of flowers which is super yield.

Gynecious: Same as pre dominant female

Parthenorcarpic: Same as above, except I do not allow it to blow out if under greenhouse. I lower it like tomato gently. If difficult, I allow blow out. I keep up to 5 or 6 laterals nodes if supplying groceries that want tiny fruits. If the nodes give more than 2 fruits, I may limit the nodes to 2 or 3 too. The idea is that I watch fruit abortion and control the number of leaves and fruits accordingly. I may step up or step down. It comes with experience. It is why the margin of yield is always wide when I am on farm and I handled it personally. My ex workers used to shout in amazement. But I don't shout or blame them if they do not get it accurately. I used to manage them. But they used to improve when they see action live. Cos, it sounds meaningless to spend hours removing fruits and leaves , and spraying different organic enzymes after spraying fungicides and pesticides. But when I am free, and I do it with them, and they see the result, hahahaha...their brains are fine tuned immediately. Funny that they usually tell me after 3 months that "oga, a wan own my farm after this contract expires". And I usually say, fine. Guys don calculate that they can do 1/2 plot that they can handle on their own and make meaningful money. Most are doing fine with Nigerian wives. And eventually, I just assist them get citizenship and passports. So, I have them around me when I need help. I am saying this cos when you do good, you will see the reward. But at the same time, theft is in their blood. So, bearing that in mind, I do not want them again.

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 26, 2019
FMCASH:
Kudos!!!
Please how many gram should be put per hole for agric lime, thanks

Lime is alkaline. I measure until the desired PH value is reached. High manure makes me use more, cos it dilutes it. Also using NPK or DAP (acid) balances it. If I do not have PH meter, I just use little quantity like 5 to 10 grams. The issue is that the desired PH most be reached. And my goal is to have more phosphorus and Calcium in there.

Commercial farm add phosphorus and Calcium once in the soil before sowing seeds because both do not evaporate. They are locked in the soil. If you can use soil nutrient test to do this, all that is needed are Nitrogen which can be via Urea or potassium nitrate. And potassium which you can be less Potassium Chloride with MagSul. All is about calculation. I do not guess. And I do not use general prescription. I use optimum values based on readings with meters. PH, Salinity, EC, TDS, etc.

Also I carry out tissue test on my own to know how my plants are taking in nutrients.

Calcium an be via Calcium Nitrate too, so I may just use less. But since I know phosphorus is damn expensive, I use more DAP or SSP, and get it locked there. I check PH again around flowering period to know if I should add more phosphorus and Lime. If I should and I see that I do not have cash for soluble ones that will not change ph, I will pack manure again and blend into it phosphorus and Calcium, and pack round the root. That's it. PH must be within optimum. Get a good PH meter. I don't guess. I am an accurate and detailed person. So, In summary, PH value guides me.

I like the attachment you posted. There are many articles and research papers like that. I read a lot of them. For that particular cultivar, the researcher showed the best way to prune. Now, they noticed that when they removed lower grown fruits from 0-5 days that the flowers at the top start showing, they survive. But if they wait till around 10 days, the fruits down get very big, take nutrients, and the upper flower aborts. aHahahhha! It is exactly what I was saying. Do not let pictures of big cucumber using ruler showing you that one fruit reaches 30cm fool you. It does not mean the farmer is good. In fact, good farmers do not allow fruits to get extremely big.

When the load is high, flower aborts. And I said previously, when you harvest fast, you get more fruits. It is why I love the market that accepts small fruits. Oh Christ. "Oh Jesus, I have promised to serve you to the end......" Hahahaha Enough Fruits. Great harvest.

In one of my posts, I also wrote that if the manufacturer says the fruits can reach 1kg, I will never allow it reach it cos I want the load to be less, so that top flowers don't abort. It is a skill that you just perfect and learn as soon as you get the concept. It is why I emphasize on the concepts first. you are getting IT sir.

But if you are not good, and you prune recklessly, you are doomed. On top, the big fruits that should save you are allowed not to be big. You will relocate to your village by fire by force. Lol. Not you bro, just using second person to express myself.

The concept is the part I have cropped and attached. I am happy some people are getting it.

Note: I may not be able to prune to optimum. Why? Sales has got its time too. It may be twice a week on certain dates. To meet up, I must adjust pruning. So, when I read, I always find a way to apply it to my situation. Of course, I can do it perfectly the way it should be if I have a cold room.

Guys, it is not about jumping into forest. I always tell people. If you do not know the theory, you are gone. You are just an average person. Theory is paramount. If I say I can pull out 1,000 bags from one plot, you better believe it. You better. Just leave me with it, give me rest of mind, let me have a good TV series like game of throne, or breaking bad, my bible, and head phone to play music while on farm. Oh! Give me organic veggie and fruits, and loyal workers, I am good to go. Give me all what I need, do not change it. You will see wonders. But people want subsitutes. Oh! Can I use this instead?

Well done bro for this research paper. Let go!

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 26, 2019
Jayfarms:
Ha ha I love Bob Marley �! I mean ...
Now to your comments. I mean my approach to Agriculture was roundabout because I was researching investments in a totally separate business, when a change in rules by the government agency meant that the financial projections became unstable at best. I do not generally like to do business with the government, it’s a waste of effort as far as I’m concerned. However, we all need to operate within the framework of government regulations, and when the rules keep shifting, it makes doing business and attracting any kind of reasonable investment almost impossible. So I decided to find a different business that is adjacent to my original plan.
While looking into that someone lured me into buying some grains from the north and selling in the south. Well that was something! It was an expensive lesson, but I learned some valuable lessons along the way that brought me to decide to go into farming. I have been researching what aspect and the best way to structure it so that I can supervise it myself and I think I have a some idea now.
Most importantly for me is that I would like to have an organic farm. Thus I am very excited that you are now converted to the organic way. But jokes aside, this is about healthy living for me. Profits are secondary, they will come in due course. That is now what is exercising my mind. I am bracing for how that might work in a farm setting and your particular insights have been quite interesting. Your advice above is very much appreciated. It is almost a mirror image of my plan. The main difference is that I am hoping to do a fairly large pilot on a specific type of food forest. Still working out the kinks. Labour matters have also been consuming my time, but I think I have a couple of people that God has prepared ahead to work with but still need some more. May God help us to learn to deal honestly in this country.
Blessings to you my brother.

Naija is frustrating. Government policies are crazy. If I tell you the number of proposals I have rejected from government, you will be shocked. I have people in government too, but I avoid them all. I have never for one day in my life work as a salary earner though I have outstanding degrees that could push me into any big 4 anywhere in the world if I really want to. Of course, I am thinking towards that now since I am beginning to downsize. Perhaps to take up a consulting job with a multi International company in policy formulating or Strategy or administration. But definitely not with any government department. I feel your pain too sir.

Somebody lured you into trading. Hmmmm! People trade agro-products successfully and make millions. I know that some politicians who trade grains. You just missed some things. That is all. Or you engaged with bad people. Or perhaps you did not research it well before going into it. But it is good you have learned your lesson.

I really do not sell organic because buyers do not value it. Except if I see the client values good food, I introduce it to him/her. But everything I eat personally now are mostly organic and more of fermented food. Sugar is off. People eat all these white sugary rice like .....lol. Ofada rice is even better. LOL. They say they are running away from sugar, yet consume rice in the morning, semolina in the afternoon, and yam in the evening. Nice one. It is waiting for you soon. When the doctor gives you N30,000 bill per week, you will understand. And when you catch cancer which is rampant, and doctor bills you N600K every 2 weeks, you will get it. So, we think those celebrities begging for fund for cancer could not feed themselves previously? The standard price for chemo is around N500 to N700k every two weeks. And you go for like 8 to 30 sessions. 30 × 700k = Run to the public and beg. Why? I have seen it life. I have seen the pain. Of course, I don't have it. So, do not think otherwise. lol. The first 6 days after each chemo is like hell. They saY it is like fire moving round their body. Infact the treatment is more painful than the disease itself. But people beat cancer. And it is getting common. To make the patient comfortable and have quick recovery, doctors recommend some very expensive supplements. Not cheap at all. Organic is the way sir. Better have a garden at home and grow 40% of the fruits and veggies you eat. And learn how to detox to remove the 60% you cannot avoid because we live in a world of chemical.

Do not joke with labor. please limit your pilot to a scale that you can easily recover if you lose the cash you pumped into it. And try to make your pilot in a way you can do it yourself so that you understand it. Do not depend on anyone If I was doing trees now, I would do just one plot and wait for 5 years till I see it happening. I would never rush. So, I would still add cucumber on the farm to keep me going while waiting five years so that my time in the bush would not be wasted . lol. Even at the end of the day, if I decided to ditch the tree, I would not regret it cos of vegggies.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 11:34pm On May 26, 2019
Gracia
Pistotita:

Lime is alkaline. I measure until the desired PH value is reached. High manure makes me use more, cos it dilutes it. Also using NPK or DAP (acid) balances it. If I do not have PH meter, I just use little quantity like 5 to 10 grams. The issue is that the desired PH most be reached. And my goal is to have more phosphorus and Calcium in there.

Commercial farm add phosphorus and Calcium once in the soil before sowing seeds because both do not evaporate. They are locked in the soil. If you can use soil nutrient test to do this, all that is needed are Nitrogen which can be via Urea or potassium nitrate. And potassium which you can be less Potassium Chloride with MagSul. All is about calculation. I do not guess. And I do not use general prescription. I use optimum values based on readings with meters. PH, Salinity, EC, TDS, etc.

Also I carry out tissue test on my own to know how my plants are taking in nutrients.

Calcium an be via Calcium Nitrate too, so I may just use less. But since I know phosphorus is damn expensive, I use more DAP or SSP, and get it locked there. I check PH again around flowering period to know if I should add more phosphorus and Lime. If I should and I see that I do not have cash for soluble ones that will not change ph, I will pack manure again and blend into it phosphorus and Calcium, and pack round the root. That's it. PH must be within optimum. Get a good PH meter. I don't guess. I am an accurate and detailed person. So, In summary, PH value guides me.

I like the attachment you posted. There are many articles and research papers like that. I read a lot of them. For that particular cultivar, the researcher showed the best way to prune. Now, they noticed that when they removed lower grown fruits from 0-5 days that the flowers at the top start showing, they survive. But if they wait till around 10 days, the fruits down get very big, take nutrients, and the upper flower aborts. aHahahhha! It is exactly what I was saying. Do not let pictures of big cucumber using ruler showing you that one fruit reaches 30cm fool you. It does not mean the farmer is good. In fact, good farmers do not allow fruits to get extremely big.

When the load is high, flower aborts. And I said previously, when you harvest fast, you get more fruits. It is why I love the market that accepts small fruits. Oh Christ. "Oh Jesus, I have promised to serve you to the end......" Hahahaha Enough Fruits. Great harvest.

In one of my posts, I also wrote that if the manufacturer says the fruits can reach 1kg, I will never allow it reach it cos I want the load to be less, so that top flowers don't abort. It is a skill that you just perfect and learn as soon as you get the concept. It is why I emphasize on the concepts first. you are getting IT sir.

But if you are not good, and you prune recklessly, you are doomed. On top, the big fruits that should save you are allowed not to be big. You will relocate to your village by fire by force. Lol. Not you bro, just using second person to express myself.

The concept is the part I have cropped and attached. I am happy some people are getting it.

Note: I may not be able to prune to optimum. Why? Sales has got its time too. It may be twice a week on certain dates. To meet up, I must adjust pruning. So, when I read, I always find a way to apply it to my situation. Of course, I can do it perfectly the way it should be if I have a cold room.

Guys, it is not about jumping into forest. I always tell people. If you do not know the theory, you are gone. You are just an average person. Theory is paramount. If I say I can pull out 1,000 bags from one plot, you better believe it. You better. Just leave me with it, give me rest of mind, let me have a good TV series like game of throne, or breaking bad, my bible, and head phone to play music while on farm. Oh! Give me organic veggie and fruits, and loyal workers, I am good to go. Give me all what I need, do not change it. You will see wonders. But people want subsitutes. Oh! Can I use this instead?

Well done bro for this research paper. Let go!
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:02am On May 27, 2019
FMCASH:
Gracia

I have replied your email. Someone informed me that nairaland does not show red alert for email notification anymore. And everyone who has written me, I have replied you all. And thanks for the messages.

I will release a whatsapp number very soon for easy communication. Bless you all.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 12:07am On May 27, 2019
Most farmers boost of getting 50bags of 40kg from one can (50g) of hybrid (predominantly females) cucumber seed. Its like been a slave to seed company. I shake my head when I see alot of fruit abortion. If someone can't get it right its better to use OP variety or cheaper monoceious. 50 bags from one can its like getting 4 fruits per vine when you have 85% seed gemination.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 2:10am On May 27, 2019
FMCASH:
Most farmers boost of getting 50bags of 40kg from one can (50g) of hybrid (predominantly females) cucumber seed. Its like been a slave to seed company. I shake my head when I see alot of fruit abortion. If someone can't get it right its better to use OP variety or cheaper monoceious. 50 bags from one can its like getting 4 fruits per vine when you have 85% seed gemination.

You are certainly right, most farmers are slaves to these seeds companies. It is why I avoid mentioning cultivars, names, but people are addicted to them.

You cannot do much at times, when the heat is too much. Abortion occurs, and best flowering pattern are destroyed with males coming up and interfering. But that is the situation we are in. The max temp for cucumber is 30C. It is why when I detected a generation of cultivar that are heat tolerant up to 40C, I just want to create the market for it cos it is generally not yet acceoted. And it is why I can get 60 fruits or more per cucumber stand.

Good farmers invest so much in shades. Mist and Fogs are equally necessary if you are really serious. When you understand how much damage heat is doing, you just want to correct it. But most people do not get the concept, and so how can they ever buy into the idea of temp reduction? All they want to know is Is Jaguar good for my farm? Can I use Padma? Or Kikile failed on my farm, can I use this? Cultivars aren't the solution. Get the reason you failed first to know the best way to tackle it.

Abortion is terrible. Pruning means aborting flowers too, and foliar decongesting, but getting 3 fruits from like 200 flowers is just crazily low. If there are no diseases, a plant can give even 1,000 female flowers.

If you get correct pathenocarpic in greenhouse, it may fruit for 6 months or more. Just giving you fruits. Even 1 year is very possible. But seed companies want you come more often to buy from them. They make you smile and cry at the same time. To many rubbish hybrids out there.

Well using OP is another way to look at it. I have the trick for it. Do you know I can turn OP to Parthenorcarpic? Or make it flower like gynecious? The challenge is that the disease tolerance is low. But can work in it well too. And it takes some special skills to make 60 days pointsset go to market at 40 to 45 days. It is not a bad idea to perfect OP cultivars of Veggies. In fact, my decision to dump the so called tomato hybrids like cobra, panther, Thorgal, Panther, padma, platinum, etc and concentrate on Roma and Rio Grande led me to my discoveries. I had to go deep to the root of how these OPs were made. Once upon a time, they were hybrids too. Lol.

A good OP is Ashley. You will never go wrong with it. it is gynecious and superb.

Sir, orientation changes when concept is known. Education is the Key. Theoritical knowledge is paramount. There are useless masters and PhD Agro certs holders parading themselves as consultants with empty brains. I teach everywhere I go. It is why I pity people who cannot read epistles. In them lie secrets, concepts, and procedures. If I have been saying jargons, that is how you would just bring an article to expose me. Some ask if I am a farmer or not cos I don't post pictures. Any intelligent person will definitely know without stepping on my farms. That person still asking such question is to be questioned. Consultant Interns deceive too many people with pictures. Readers even ask farmers to stand on their farms. Lol. Very shallow way of thought. If I want to know you are good, I will throw questions. Do you know how many seeds sellers run away from me? Fake consultants eventually leave. And Joining chatting groups is now a problem for me cos I see too many wrong teachings and promotion of dead products. So, with all the materials in the Internet, how can people still be this foolish? And a local guy is raping you financially? Ha! My people perish cos of lack of Knowledge. You have masters degree, and it is one local farmer you enslaved yourself to. Too bad.

Lastly, monoecious can be hybrid too. And equally very expensive. Lion seeds have an advantage of small seeds, so it is like average of 60 seeds per grams compared to other of like average of 35. But then, the importer jacked up the price a bit. But still better. It used to be N15,000 per 50 grams can when Technisem products were around N10,000 to N12,000. Not sure about the price now cos I don't use their seeds again.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 6:59am On May 27, 2019
More grease to you elbow bro
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 9:54am On May 27, 2019
Hmm,the op is firing on all cylinders,but seriously getting 50 bags from 50 grams of seed, and mind you that 50grams is for one plot of 1500-1700 crops,is not bad,to me it's a fantastic harvest,today's price in onitsha for a bag is ₦5000,that means ₦250,000k from one plot,it's not a small feat considering the factors that will fight against the farmer from poor soil,bad fertilizer, weather,fake seeds,pests,etc, getting 50 bags from a plot is not easy,that's why we postponed our ₦500k project to the dry season when the prices might have doubled.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 11:49am On May 27, 2019
The right attitude towards Veggie Farming

Veggie is profitable all year round. There are different strategies for the seasons we have. Everyone is talking about rainy season tomato, but how many are doing it? Funny issue is that some new guys want to jump into 1 ha rainy season in the south. So, the hausas do not like money like you? Who told you they have not tried it?

If you want the honest truth, quit farming if you do not have a nearby land to your residence as a newbie, and if you are not residing in the north . I used to tell newbies to get 1 acre and above, but not again. Just get what is available, 1/4 plot and above near you. You are a fool if you travel extremely far to buy or lease 1 plot in a bush. Sorry, you are an idiot. And I am saying it without an apology.

How do I tell you not to contact me if you do not have drip? I feel bad about it, but it is just failure from the start. Don't you people learn? Or what the heck is wrong with you? "Labor showed you pepper" the last time when weeding time arrived, yet, mulch is not in your budget again this year. Ha! Foolishness and stubborness are in your veins, flowing with your blood 24-7. Walahi! You will return to your village at your old age.

Is it compulsory to do 1 ha? The cash you will spend on labor, divert it to drip, mulch, fertigation, battery powered sprayer with mist effect, and do lesser plots of land. Then, expand gradually. Cos 1 ha tomato and cucumber can give you over 20 million naira according to analysis by consultants, you must start with 1 ha when man power is not there, or extremely expensive, or they might just deliberately decide to frustrate your project. So, you are not aware your fellow farmers can pay your workers behind you to frustrate your effort? Wetin, I never experience? Wetin these my eyes have never seen? And one is advising new comers, they will be do "yanga". They always return like the prodigal son. lol.

Take Spraying of your crops serious
Gone are the days you spray weekly. You need almost daily spraying program. When I say daily, yes, yes, yes, daily. And organic stuff is what you spray most. It is when I spray contact fungicides I wait for it to stick for days before spraying again. But since you guys are about rainy season, it is more of systemic. As it enters the system, it is already working. Save your back, shoulders, and avoid using too much energy pumping manual knacksacks which wastes chemicals, and extremely slow.

Weeding is Spreading diseases
Far better if you can use herbicides for profit making, but terrible for health. The appropriate style is mulching on small farms. Commercial farm do not rely on long harvest. It is heavy harvest two or three times they need, and that's it. But for you as a small scale, you need longer and more harvests.

60 mins farm from Lagos, come buy at cheap rate for veggie. Lol. Bonanza! Bonanza!! Bonanza!!! 5 acres about 40 mins drive from Ibadan for veggie, ha! You are already crushed financially and emotionally before you pay for the land.

"What is your means of irrigation, I always ask?" A nearby well, they always answer. You are not serious oooo. But I always try to talk to them politely. Are you born to be foolish even with all the info on nairaland? Must you be foolish like the foolish poor farmer you are already a slave to? Yet, you will be doing "yanga" with your SUV when going to farm. Calm bros. You are a damn foolish specie who is already the ATM of that old failure. A well to irrigate 6 plots of land. You foolish no be small. Walahi! And even after talking to them, they still go ahead after to force it.

Another common Foolishness is that after checking the situation of many, and my recommendation is to quit the farm. Yeeeee! I have invested so much in it. How can I quit? Christ! Not telling you to quit your passion, but quit that project ASAP. ha! Sales of rainy season is what I am targeting. You are a fool oooo. You are. No apology at all. And if you are not careful, you will be wrecked soon. You Wil be devoured very soon. Did I not tell you all how I knew it was time to quit. I just told myself. Enough is Enough. Boys, today, You are all leaving my farm. Ha! Oga, please.... we will change. I said ok. I have heard you all. Gradually, I started selling all my equipment. I sold all. Everything. And I went back to the drawing back. Yet, if you understand the investment on the farms. Hmmmm!

Return to the drawing board, and pay your debts gradually, do not rush in paying all if you cannot. It is why good contracts are good, and make sure you pay back. You may delay it, but make sure you pay back. If you have to use two years to pay loans. Do it. Return home and start using containers to try your hands on different cultivars. Actually, that is what you suppose do initially. In my case, I returned to my laboratory and worked more on fortifying different ciltivars. I learned about more enzymes too. Then, I broaden my knowledge more on diseases and ways to combat them. At the end of the day, I told myself Prevention is better than cure

Animal husbandry and bio security
Learn from poultry farmers. They do not joke with bio securities. Infact, I prefer veggie learners who had had wide poultry experience. They easily accept the concept of prevention is better than cure, start small and grow big, wait till you have the means to finance your project, and do not rush into big projects without acquiring the proper needed skills.

Many keep complaining that fishery, poultry, and piggery are not profitable, but some people are still in the business. Lol. Learn from poultry farmers who started with just 50 Broilers, or Noilers, or Kuroilers. What do you see next, they upgrade to 100 after 6 to 12 weeks. And within one year, you find dedicated ones grow to having batches of 100 birds at different stages. When I looked into it, some good guys make average of N60,000 to N150,000 monthly after 1 year of consistent hard work.

Unfortunate, they also have challenges with knowing when to stop expanding. It is a different ball game having workers around. Lol. I have seen smart boys who expanded quickly, and lost interest in the business cos they borrowed too much to expand, and returning to their initial stage was hard. Cucumber, radish, lettuce, watermelon, tomato etc boys, you have 12 weeks crop period like these poultry boys, do it near you, and grow at your pace. Grow big consistently, and know when to stop expanding.

Return to the drawing board before expanding exponentially
Expanding exponential is growing wide. A function is getting a new location for your business which might means constructing new infrastructure on it. So, before you invest into such, look at your present business, and first find a way to combine it with the new location. It means you must have made your present business profitable in your absence. Any business that requires your 24-7 attention is still a job . And you are not different from the man earning salary. You are a slave to that business. Take it or leave it. It is not about having big farms, but can it run efficiently within you on the farm? When you are away, your BP is always high. "Lasisi" will definitely grow fatter if I embark on this 8 weeks vacation, because he will feed on my eggs. lol. Hahshahaha! You are a slave to Lasisi, you need real help, and you do not know it.

If at the present moment it is just 3 plots you can cultivate out of the 20 plots you have, and it is profitable, and you can run it profitable without your presence 24-7, it is gradually becoming a good business.

Rely less on human
Save yourself the stress of having many hands on your farm with technology. Use drip irrigation instead of telling 2 boys to carry around hose on your farm. Get fertilizer side dressing applicators instead of finding casual labor to join your boys during aplication periods. Use mulch instead of weeding. Try with 2 beds and see how it is like. Go for thicker ones instead of thin ones. I will publish about mulching very soon just like my previous posts on drip which I get testimony till date that has saved them from terrible hungry sellers.

...... More tips coming. If you are smart, you will benefit from my next posts. I will tell you stories about me, and how I raised money for my first project. Of course, I am not boasting, there was a time some million naira was in my accounts. But I reached a stage God Himself showed me live and direct why I should never accumulate wealth. Veggie na bastard profit, I am a testimony. I send cash to even people using dollars, euros, and pounds sterling abroad. But the past 2 years were rough. I had to ask for financial help. Believe it. But the siblings and cousins that I assisted while schooling abroad saw it as the opportunity to pay back. And I was not proud to ask for help. It is getting better gradually. And it will soon be over. Tomato seedlings are growing bigger. We will get there soon

2 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
Hmm,the op is firing on all cylinders,but seriously getting 50 bags from 50 grams of seed, and mind you that 50grams is for one plot of 1500-1700 crops,is not bad,to me it's a fantastic harvest,today's price in onitsha for a bag is ₦5000,that means ₦250,000k from one plot,it's not a small feat considering the factors that will fight against the farmer from poor soil,bad fertilizer, weather,fake seeds,pests,etc, getting 50 bags from a plot is not easy,that's why we postponed our ₦500k project to the dry season when the prices might have doubled.

I agree 100% with you. My bro, vegetable na bastard profit. I always respond to every comment based on the pattern of the thought of the writer as long as there is no flaw in it. The previous writer after knowing he could push the yield up more saw 50 bags as a failure. He has just raised the bar of his achievements. I agree with him too 100%. While on the other hand, you quickly pointed out the present economical value and how you feel it is reasonable. You are also perfectly correct bros. I just pray veggie do not become fish which was very profitable in those days no matter how poor the farmer performed. But as soon as grains price increased(enjoyment for grain farmers) which led to extreme high cost feed, only innovative fish farmers are still in business.

Also, the innovative farmer can decide to do 1/4 plot instead of a plot knowing fully well he can cover his bills. My brother, I was impressed with the article he attached, because it was just everything I have been talking about. But if I had used scientific terms, might be it would be hard to grab. But my narrative approach worked. It always works for anyone who can read and think deep. Now, that writer knows even if I fail to achieve 40 cucumber fruits, he has got the concept of doing it. All he gat to do is practise at home with 2 to 20 plants. And before you know it, he will get the concept of scouting for the appropriate cultivars which he is comfortable with. Farming is science . And to me Science is the ability to understudy someone else, and make it better using common sense, trials and errors, with room for mistakes . In addition, it is not every time you understudy someone else buy going to his business place, you can from far, via internet, through books, etc . I have understudied many farmers via their research papers. Prof B.A. Kratky of Hawaii is someone that I talk to frequently cos of my love for hydroponics. And then, he introduced me to so many professors.

But when farmers become slaves to seed makers is the issue. The debate is old like Metusellah. Should seed breeders continue making hybrids? Why are they not trying to stabilize hybrid to become OPV like the olden days seed breeders. Then, OPV was the goal but these days, na hybrid. lol They even start telling you that F2 (seeds from hybrid is bad). Of course, there are many hybrids F2 I have replanted which performed like their F1. hahaha.

Our prayer is that God should bless our work.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Juliana7: 7:52pm On May 27, 2019
Hello sir, to be honest with u, i have become ardent follower of this thread, the secret to all u have been writing is reading within d lines. Wow! U are awesome. Pls what is ur take on "topping off"(i dont know if that word is d right word)where a growing tomato plant is cut/prune from top stem to allow for more branch(like for deteminant it technically stops d grow and allows maybe more branches)pls sir is it a nice idea. Thanks
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 27, 2019
Juliana7:
Hello sir, to be honest with u, i have become ardent follower of this thread, the secret to all u have been writing is reading within d lines. Wow! U are awesome. Pls what is ur take on "topping off"(i dont know if that word is d right word)where a growing tomato plant is cut/prune from top stem to allow for more branch(like for deteminant it technically stops d grow and allows maybe more branches)pls sir is it a nice idea. Thanks

It is wonderful to know you are benefitting bro. May God give me the strength to move this thread further. Amen!

My advise is that you go on a trial in a sterile environment with some seeds grown normally, and others topped, chopped, or pruned off. Then you will see the effect. It depends on varieties. But just know that the style delays fruiting by minimum of 7 days. Whether it will give more branches, you will know. And that it gives more branches is not an assurance of more yield. Cultivar A may work, while B can be a total flop. Learn to have your battle ground of ideas and strategies formulations for your farm at home .

The only time I use it is during nursery at early stage of solanum specie of any type, but most commonly, tomato, cherry tomato, tomato grape, tomato currant, and capsicum which are indeterminates. I want 2 to 5 branches that I will keep come out fast. This is the only time I have used it do far. Also, I have used the sytle in normal grafting, and tissue culture. I hope I have answered your question bro Juliana. (A man with a feminine name). Lol.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 27, 2019
Solutions to large Cucumber Farms
Someone was begging me dome days ago to just give clues about running some acres. He wants to run 10. And I said OK.
You should apply this principle to other veggies too. Also, can be applied to small farms too.

1. Herbicide is an alternative to high cost of weeding . You will all kinds of herbicides - pre emergence during rainy season or you can pull out your hose yo irrigate everywhere after applying, Systemic (glyphsate on grasses before land preparation and till the dead grasses with the soil for more organic matters during rainy and dry season, and may use it even after bed preparation, but usually during rainy season). Also use glyphsate for the path way. Finally, contact (paraquat after planting till the end on the beds).

2. Seeds germination rates can be altered.

3. Slow initial growth will occur

4. Yield will be low by 5 to 10%. And may not be.

5. Staking must be by net. Never use ropes. Also observe one row per bed. Plant closer at 30cm spacing but give more spacing between rows.

6. if you plow grasses inside soil, you can ditch manure. lol this is pure inorganic

7. The main secret is the spraying formular I do not know how to explain here. But if you can afford around N50k to 150K (for buying both inorganic and organic spraying solutions where I will tell you what to use) just to keep off diseases, control flowering pattern, relieve your plants stress after spraying herbicides each time, or protect your plants after emergency manual weeding, hook up with me. I did not want to scare any off with N50k to N150k. As guys spend as low as N10k for fumigation and spraying. Afterall, Mancozeb, Cypermethrin, Matalyxl, and Cabufuran aren't so expensive. I agree, but sleep is different from death. lol. And mind you, you will keep so of your stuff and use for some months, or even some for over a year.

8. Try some varieties that bring out less laterals so you do not prune too much.

You will not use or use less labor for the following: Weeding, Staking, and pruning.

9. You must practise batch system. Do not just cultivate 6 plots at a time divide into 3 and sow seeds on 2 plots with 7 days intervals. you will know the importance during staking. if 5 acres you can make it one acre at a time.

10. Never sow seeds if you have not finished staking. This is paramount. Even on small farms, why rush? Complete stakes installation. Never let your workers push you into rushing cos they want to do it fast fast.

11. I repeat, take spraying and fumigation very serious. Fortify your crops, help them recover fast after pruning stress, protect them before and after pruning, Scott for pests and diseases, etc.

Good luck to owners of big farms.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Jayfarms: 3:48pm On May 28, 2019
Pistotita:

Naija is frustrating. Government policies are crazy. If I tell you the number of proposals I have rejected from government, you will be shocked. I have people in government too, but I avoid them all. I have never for one day in my life work as a salary earner though I have outstanding degrees that could push me into any big 4 anywhere in the world if I really want to. Of course, I am thinking towards that now since I am beginning to downsize. Perhaps to take up a consulting job with a multi International company in policy formulating or Strategy or administration. But definitely not with any government department. I feel your pain too sir.

Somebody lured you into trading. Hmmmm! People trade agro-products successfully and make millions. I know that some politicians who trade grains. You just missed some things. That is all. Or you engaged with bad people. Or perhaps you did not research it well before going into it. But it is good you have learned your lesson.

I really do not sell organic because buyers do not value it. Except if I see the client values good food, I introduce it to him/her. But everything I eat personally now are mostly organic and more of fermented food. Sugar is off. People eat all these white sugary rice like .....lol. Ofada rice is even better. LOL. They say they are running away from sugar, yet consume rice in the morning, semolina in the afternoon, and yam in the evening. Nice one. It is waiting for you soon. When the doctor gives you N30,000 bill per week, you will understand. And when you catch cancer which is rampant, and doctor bills you N600K every 2 weeks, you will get it. So, we think those celebrities begging for fund for cancer could not feed themselves previously? The standard price for chemo is around N500 to N700k every two weeks. And you go for like 8 to 30 sessions. 30 × 700k = Run to the public and beg. Why? I have seen it life. I have seen the pain. Of course, I don't have it. So, do not think otherwise. lol. The first 6 days after each chemo is like hell. They saY it is like fire moving round their body. Infact the treatment is more painful than the disease itself. But people beat cancer. And it is getting common. To make the patient comfortable and have quick recovery, doctors recommend some very expensive supplements. Not cheap at all. Organic is the way sir. Better have a garden at home and grow 40% of the fruits and veggies you eat. And learn how to detox to remove the 60% you cannot avoid because we live in a world of chemical.

Do not joke with labor. please limit your pilot to a scale that you can easily recover if you lose the cash you pumped into it. And try to make your pilot in a way you can do it yourself so that you understand it. Do not depend on anyone If I was doing trees now, I would do just one plot and wait for 5 years till I see it happening. I would never rush. So, I would still add cucumber on the farm to keep me going while waiting five years so that my time in the bush would not be wasted . lol. Even at the end of the day, if I decided to ditch the tree, I would not regret it cos of vegggies.

Hmmm. You are very correct. Many people do not realize that we are what we eat. Most illnesses are a direct result of what we ingest. Cancer has probably been prevalent for some time now, but because many Nigerians do lot go to the hospital, they don’t know what is ailing them. You simply read obituaries that say “died after a brief illness “. Hmmm. I lost two loved ones to cancer, diagnosed, who knows how many undiagnosed. I still remember the struggle to save them, the pain and cost of chemotherapy! I do not wish it on anyone! I still currently have two people I care about fighting cancer even now, so I know what you mean. It is one of the reasons I am trying to reorganize my diet, and also my environment.
I continue to enjoy reading your posts and learning from you. Thank you for pouring out yourself so freely. Your insights are worth the time to read the “epistle”. Perhaps, if you don’t mind, I would like to run a couple of things by you in a couple of weeks. Please let me know if I may contact you privately.
Blessings.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 29, 2019
Jayfarms:

Hmmm. You are very correct. Many people do not realize that we are what we eat. Most illnesses are a direct result of what we ingest. Cancer has probably been prevalent for some time now, but because many Nigerians do lot go to the hospital, they don’t know what is ailing them. You simply read obituaries that say “died after a brief illness “. Hmmm. I lost two loved ones to cancer, diagnosed, who knows how many undiagnosed. I still remember the struggle to save them, the pain and cost of chemotherapy! I do not wish it on anyone! I still currently have two people I care about fighting cancer even now, so I know what you mean. It is one of the reasons I am trying to reorganize my diet, and also my environment.
I continue to enjoy reading your posts and learning from you. Thank you for pouring out yourself so freely. Your insights are worth the time to read the “epistle”. Perhaps, if you don’t mind, I would like to run a couple of things by you in a couple of weeks. Please let me know if I may contact you privately.
Blessings.

pistotita19@gmail.com
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 8:08pm On May 29, 2019
Pistotita:

pistotita19@gmail.com
hmm,quite Spartan,unlike the pistotita we know
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 29, 2019
okoroemeka:
hmm,quite Spartan,unlike the pistotita we know

LOL.

Actually posted quite a detailed response yest but spam whatever caught something there. lol.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Cocoboms(m): 9:21pm On May 29, 2019
Hello Pistotita, I was doing some research about the Indian tomato series you mentioned. Do you think the Indian tomato would do well in open field staked system. I'll like to trial about 500 to 1000 seeds. Can you help me with the seeds. I'll like to buy for trial. Thanks!

Pistotita:
Tomato Nursery
Same procedure as cucumber above. But I had real difficulty in choosing a cultivar for this thread. BHN is a brand I love. Anyone who has had a garden in the tropical parts of the United States definitely will know about BHN. Then, I leaped further and see if I should use Asian seeds since majority farmers here are already becoming loyal customers to the Asians. I was a bit reluctant and I felt like seeing if I should use Continental maxim cultivar from Kenya. But really, there is nothing special about maxim, so I ditched it. I still have some maxim seeds. I could not easily make up my mind. Then, I started checking all the seeds in my collections, and I stumbled on Arka series. Hmmm. Ok. I picked the cultivar Girish. Let us see how far these two cultivars will perform.

Yeah! I had the privilege of talking directly to the head of the horticultural departments of the institution in chrage of these cultivars, and the lead scientist for Arka series cultivars some years ago. So, I know the ins and outs of these cultivars. Damn! My love for heirlooms (oh! I will open another thread just on tomatoes and you will see why tomato is the king of all veggies). OMG! When you taste some tomatoes, you will think they are grown in the garden of Eden. Yellow, orange, green, zebra, purple, red, indigo, black, pink, brown colors tomatoes. We will get there soon. My love for heirlooms made me forget hybrids.

I know one guy 3 years ago who had 1 ha of one of these cultivars in Idi-Iroko side of Ogun State, and the guy was just shouting that he has hit Jack pot. lol. Then, there is this guy I know in IITA who is an expert and he is just about these series. One boy told me he bought 10 grams for around N80,000 or so from him. Of course, they are not as expensive as that, but to get these seeds out of India, you will suffer. And then, I met another lady who told me that his cousin worked in one of the research institutes also and got the seed around N15,000 for 10 grams. And I told her to start dancing cos the guy really did him well. Indians do not like exporting these cultivars to Africa. So, they are gold. lol. We are talking of seeds you are talking of some that I read here and there on this site called nairaland, and I always just laugh. Ha! My people do not know anything. Move with researchers and you will get deep secrets. Of course, I gat my inner circle that we roll. We do not make noise. We just roll. I am sure one or two peole here will drop comments about these cultivars. Just wait and see. Comments are coming. If you know about these cultivars, then, you gat my respect.

But make no mistake, there are many other cultivars that are making farmers happy. I know that the whole nairaland will start looking for these cultivars. Normally I do not reveal my cultivars, but let me release these ones and see the maturity of my readers. I do not expect anyone to jump into it. It may not be good for you. Please, cultivars are not the whole story, management is the key. Even, I can use the cultivar maxim that I ditched and still get the same result. And if you want to know, I still have the cultivar Cobra from technisem in my archive. And I have Roma and Rio Grande that I asked one old woman to pick from rotten tomatoes in the market. If I start with the secrets of growing Roma, we will not finish the topic. lol. I still have my drip rolls. Perhaps, if I get a reliable hand I can partner with, we can roll a project on 2 ha of land.

OK. That is all about the tomato cultivars I am using.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by DeLaRue: 9:31pm On May 29, 2019
My Tokyo2 f1 cucumber started off crazily with each plant having between 6 and 10 little cucumbers on it! It was unbelievable.

Then suddenly the leaves started turning yellow this affected the development & size of the fruits. But new, lush leaves are still coming out from the top half of the plants. Pls Pistotita, do you kow the likely cause & suggested solution?

We have been spraying mancozeb + imidacloprid + Lara force gold every week since week 2. This is now week 5.

Here's a picture taken today of a yellow leaf

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 29, 2019
Cocoboms:
Hello Pistotita, I was doing some research about the Arka tomato series you mentioned. Arka Rakshak f1 seems to be quite popular online. Do you think the Arka series tomato would do well in open field staked system. I'll like to trial about 500 to 1000 seeds. Can you help me with the seeds. I'll like to buy for trial. Thanks!

pistotita19@gmail.com
We can work it out. It is seriously scarce. They do not easily sell to foreigners except during surplus.

For this one, you will stake like cucumber and tie many branches to the top. Then use horizontal rope too. It can stay even 6 months.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Cocoboms(m): 9:42pm On May 29, 2019
Pistotita:

pistotita19@gmail.com
We can work it out. It is seriously scarce. They do not easily sell to foreigners except during surplus.

For this one, you will stake like cucumber and tie many branches to the top. Then use horizontal rope too. It can stay even 6 months.

Oohh. It's almost indeterminate in its growth. I'll shoot you a mail. Thanks
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:06pm On May 29, 2019
DeLaRue:
My Tokyo2 f1 cucumber started off crazily with each plant having between 6 and 10 little cucumbers on it! It was unbelievable.
[
They are still flowers and not cucumbers. Don't rejoice yet, you need to get set to start working. They can abort at any time with that pic.you have shown.

Then suddenly the leaves started turning yellow this affected the development & size of the fruits. But new, lush leaves are still coming out from the top half of the plants. Pls Pistotita, do you kow the likely cause & suggested solution?
Yes, that is Tokyo for you. Very tough. It will survive that disease if you act very fast. You have downy mildew. And it is Spreading like Ebola. lol.

1. Wash your hands and remove all infected leaves. Pack them all out of your farm. You will understand why I asked you pack them all later. Just go check the leaves after 1 or 2 months and see what is going on. But better allow them dry and burn

2. Go get Matalyxl with copper (many brands are available here) or Matalyxl with Mancozeb (Ridomil Gold by Syngenta). Spray this one first. Spray everywhere... even beds, pathway and stakes.

3. Get Cabri duo. Spray 3 days after step 2. Spray again after 3 days. And chill to see the effect.

4. As soon as you see that it has stopped move to Mancozeb and spray vigorously. you must always spray Macozeb to cover everywhere. But the problem is rain it will wash it off. But then, you can add sticker to it to make it stay on the leaves.

We have been spraying mancozeb + imidacloprid + Lara force gold every week since week 2. This is now week 5.

Here's a picture taken today of a yellow leaf

You did not spray enough macozeb, or it got washed off, else it suppose to protect your leaves. Mancozeb is meant to stay on the leaves. I mean, you Bombard it on the plants and allow it stay, not just spray and it washes off. It is why you need mist sprayer. I have mentioned that before. Manual sprayer is waste of cash to me.

You have really abused Imidacloprid. Let Lara force gold rest for now since it contains imiclopoid. You can formulate it yourself by mixing Lara force and imiforce. lol. Christ. You suppose to be looking at the back of your leaves if you have tiny insects black white green, or black. Or you install yellow stickers round your farm to check insects trapped. You don't need to spray it like that. Anyway, stop it and use less for now. I am sure no viral diseases on your plants cos you don bombard am. lol.

Buy Cypermethrin and another contact. Alternate these. You are in Fruiting period. But get Dimethoate around in case of emergency and you see that insects are troubling you too much or serious flower abortion and you see that it may take you 10 days to 15 days to go to market.

Get rid of the downy. If they do not get eradicate, do not street uourself, just keep removing foliar and spray fungicide like 5 days interval. You Wil still go to market It is Tokyo. Just go relax. Make sure you feed them nutrients and enough water too. This will always encourage new leaves. And you can manage to harvest for long like this also.

Good luck bro. And God will make it profitable. Please act fast. Start running.

I still favor organic more, and one can make profit there too. One just needs the right strategy to market the products. Of course, not to open market.

Please reduce chemical as soon as the fruits start getting big. Have pity on the consumers. A beg. Cancer is real

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 29, 2019
Cocoboms:

Oohh. It's almost indeterminate in its growth. I'll shoot you a mail. Thanks

Yes, but no pruning. That's the difference.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Cocoboms(m): 10:12pm On May 29, 2019
I have sent you mail

Pistotita:

pistotita19@gmail.com

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Cocoboms(m): 10:15pm On May 29, 2019
Oh that's interesting

Pistotita:

Yes, but no pruning. That's the difference.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 29, 2019
Cocoboms:
Oh that's interesting

I wish you have access to where you can do soil test for soil pathogens. It removes guess work.

The cultivar has its challenges too , especially with TYLCV and TMV. hmmmmm. A friend lost 3 ha. lol. She felt she got a cultivar from garden Eden from me and stopped communicating with me. Well, we were able to save 1 ha but it was during dry season.

another reason I don't like it is that it has medium fruits. like 90 to 100 grams fruits. Ok...bigger than padma and platinum. But not as big as some Technise, RZ, Enza, Syngenta or Hazera.

Please if anyone knows profolic (high yield) paste, ketchup, cultivar, let me know. I care less about disease tolerance as I am doing something presently Gurus of syngenta, Heinz, Tomato les made in Holland, etc....please let me know. please.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Jayfarms: 12:15am On May 30, 2019
Pistotita:

pistotita19@gmail.com

Many thanks. Will be in touch soon.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 5:46am On May 30, 2019
Jayfarms:

Many thanks. Will be in touch soon.

Thanks for your posts. The spam bot erased my old response which was really detailed with many ideas.

I have found writing so interesting that I am beginning to take it more serious. I am already digging into writing Series and Movies, production and Direction. The more I stay of farm which was taking my time, the more I am beginning to pull out into action more of my potentials.

Will be happy to read from you. And then, move to whatsapp for easier communication. Infact, shoot me your whatsapp ss sion as you write. Yiu gave reslly impressed me so far.

Just imagine the spraying of chemical I prescribe for that man with downy mildew challenges. Bro, I wil not eat from that farm ooo. Lol. Never. Imagine! Cancer is real

The real "I" in those days will not write formular out like that. But let all readers start seeing how farmers Bombard farms with chemicals. Let them research the effects of the chemicals. Google is thsre. But wait. If you were a farmer too with that kind of challenge, wold you not do same? I would protect my investment too.

I will give many tricks here, and I believe everyone should use it according to what suits him or her.

Stay blessed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29)

SNAKE FARM ? {pic} :-\ / 5-Star Luxurious Ram & Goat Barn With AC & DSTV (Photos, Video) / price-list for all day old birds in Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 255
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.