Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant (60029 Views)

How True Is The Myth About This Plant And What's The English Name / What's The Best Crop To Plant And Have Maximum Output On A 3 Plots Of Land? / Castor Plant And Castor Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 8:10am On May 30, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:
Hi guys i am an innovator.between an automated solar dryer that gives you feed back on temperature to your phone and a device that tells you wether a corp varaity is good for a particular soil which would u choose?

Sorry for bringing you here. I am kinda interested in your projects. Hmmmmm! I do not want to derail that thread, so I brought you over here. Go through my thread too, and see if you see any interesting stuff.

Your innovation should be portable, and mobility is vital. Of course having apps for it on phones is good and easy to put on the two biggest platforms which are android and IOS. Also, Windows isn't yet dead. And many other free open source platforms for professionals..

My question is this? Which devices do you want to compare with phone? And when you say phone, I believe you are talking of phones, phablets, tablets, and mini laptops. So, which other device? Prolly, you gat to develop your operational system for a new device if your innovation is robust. If simple, it may make sense to just use the giant platforms already available

Also, think of a way to make profit from it. It may be a good innovation which can change your life. And it may be an open source you release online so that many people contact you, it all about building an empire for yourself. A strong and large network with excellent hierarchy is a fortified empire. People release free things to make themselves very strong and important, and money rolls in later. And people also refuse to release innovations free to make huge cash from day 1. It depends on what you want.

By the way, I read more about you and I hope you are on the path of studying engineering. Guy, your mom is a novice. Doctors aren't so rich again, and they are dropping their certs. Many stop at MBBS. lol. Go ask any doctor who is trying to be a consultant. Lol. You think Ngige does not know what he was saying when he said good luck to doctors who are travelling to the UK, and they are surplus here? And tye UK is trying to stop Nigerian doctors going there. lol.They are too many making peanuts around brother. Go and ask any doctor what he went through with his or her supervisor before becoming a consultant. Because that is when big money starts coming. And consultants are complaining bitterly these days that after their very hard and painful path to the position, they are still treated like trash. But there are many rich consultants. Ha! I envy consultants. They are respected everywhere. See, it is a general problem in Nigeria. there is no employment.

My take is that with engineering you can easily be an entrepreneur, and you can easily make more money than doctors, also you can get crazy paying jobs with international companies. But hustling to get good grades, esp getting a first class or very strong upper in the university is the key. While as a doctor, you can be comfortable. May not be with crazily high salary.

The bottom line is that you can never go wrong with any engineering course or medicine. But if you do not have passion for medicine, you will struggle for a long period of time in your life, but you will not die. Just make sure you finish any course you do.

Make sure you complete any course you get in for. You can change at any time in your life. In fact, I have certs in many disciples. Lol. You just become so versatile. Doctors who are fashion designers or even footballers think differently. Sunny Oliseh stands out of all Nigerian players. That was a headboy in his secondary school, a captain of National team, and returned to school. Just look at how he carries himself despite his weakness in anger. That man is a boom! Kanu and Okocha are better footballers, but Oliseh is more successful. Please, read about Sam Okwaraji too, and learn a lesson from him.

Options for you bro:

1. If your mom is like the Ransom Kuti Family dad who believed so much in medicine and Law, be like Fela. He went for law in the UK, dumped it, and focused on music. He was greater than all his siblings even in death. So, if your mother is the pushing type, just enter medicine if you think you like it, but never kill your passion for engineering. Educations starts when you finish school. Perhaps your mom has connections waiting for you when you finish medicine. lol

2. Get on with university exams to move you to the US or Canada and go for the course you want. Guy, there is no way you will enter medicine directly in abroad. You must first have a pre degree or qualification in science related course. Use that to knock your mama. You can get scholarship if you are very smart. Move to travel section of this forum and check out stuff there. So many opportunities. Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer, Informatics, Database nabagement, etc. You have too many options. Who dey talk of only medicine as the king of all disciplibes when technology has spread like virus, and man cannot get cured from the deadly virus. lol

3. If you are good with maths, physics, and logic, it is better you combine software and other areas. Look into securites, hacking, and related courses. These are hot cake paying jobs in advance countries anywhere. Anyone gifted with electrical engineering can divert to any disciples. Believe me. To me electrical and electronics are the most lucrative engineering disciples ever in the history of man.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by jidestroud(m): 8:20am On May 30, 2019
shocked
Pistotita:
[
They are still flowers and not cucumbers. Don't rejoice yet, you need to get set to start working. They can abort at any time with that pic.you have shown.

Yes, that is Tokyo for you. Very tough. It will survive that disease if you act very fast. You have downy mildew. And it is Spreading like Ebola. lol.

1. Wash your hands and remove all infected leaves. Pack them all out of your farm. You will understand why I asked you pack them all later. Just go check the leaves after 1 or 2 months and see what is going on. But better allow them dry and burn

2. Go get Matalyxl with copper (many brands are available here) or Matalyxl with Mancozeb (Ridomil Gold by Syngenta). Spray this one first. Spray everywhere... even beds, pathway and stakes.

3. Get Cabri duo. Spray 3 days after step 2. Spray again after 3 days. And chill to see the effect.

4. As soon as you see that it has stopped move to Mancozeb and spray vigorously. you must always spray Macozeb to cover everywhere. But the problem is rain it will wash it off. But then, you can add sticker to it to make it stay on the leaves.

You did not spray enough macozeb, or it got washed off, else it suppose to protect your leaves. Mancozeb is meant to stay on the leaves. I mean, you Bombard it on the plants and allow it stay, not just spray and it washes off. It is why you need mist sprayer. I have mentioned that before. Manual sprayer is waste of cash to me.

You have really abused Imidacloprid. Let Lara force gold rest for now since it contains imiclopoid. You can formulate it yourself by mixing Lara force and imiforce. lol. Christ. You suppose to be looking at the back of your leaves if you have tiny insects black white green, or black. Or you install yellow stickers round your farm to check insects trapped. You don't need to spray it like that. Anyway, stop it and use less for now. I am sure no viral diseases on your plants cos you don bombard am. lol.

Buy Cypermethrin and another contact. Alternate these. You are in Fruiting period. But get Dimethoate around in case of emergency and you see that insects are troubling you too much or serious flower abortion and you see that it may take you 10 days to 15 days to go to market.

Get rid of the downy. If they do not get eradicate, do not street uourself, just keep removing foliar and spray fungicide like 5 days interval. You Wil still go to market It is Tokyo. Just go relax. Make sure you feed them nutrients and enough water too. This will always encourage new leaves. And you can manage to harvest for long like this also.

Good luck bro. And God will make it profitable. Please act fast. Start running.

I still favor organic more, and one can make profit there too. One just needs the right strategy to market the products. Of course, not to open market.

Please reduce chemical as soon as the fruits start getting big. Have pity on the consumers. A beg. Cancer is real

angry angry angry
Just when I was beginning to fall for your anti-chemical crusade. Or is it just a thing for cucumber people

The things is, we really don't care what we push off into the market. I once went to get some field experience with the farmers along Lasu gate. It was thrilling for me, got so much knowledge from real time farmers and was so surprised to see how much vegetable farming could rake in in such a short period of time. Well, that's beside the point. While there, I saw some abnormalities. Most of the vegetables produced there are actually being exported outside the country. These vegetables are grown with organic manure, almost without synthetic chemicals nor fertilizers while those pushed into the naija markets were those with defects, sprayed anyhow...etc. I was forced to voice out on one particular occasion; why una no fit just do the same thing for all the vegetables?. But, he was quick to defend that there's actually nothing wrong in using fertilizers and spraying chemicals, just that for them to meet the exportation standard, those are things they must do. What a foo.lish response!!! undecided

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by DeLaRue: 10:27am On May 30, 2019
Pistotita:
[

You have really abused Imidacloprid. Let Lara force gold rest for now since it contains imiclopoid. You can formulate it yourself by mixing Lara force and imiforce. lol. I am sure no viral diseases on your plants cos you don bombard am. lol.

I still favor organic more, and one can make profit there too. One just needs the right strategy to market the products. Of course, not to open market.

Please reduce chemical as soon as the fruits start getting big. Have pity on the consumers. A beg. Cancer is real

Thanks for the suggestions for treating the downy mildew.

I agree on sensible use of insecticides.

We had a serious infestation of a red (with black spots) insect, very early on, with leaves being eaten at a frightening pace. When the situation had not improved by week 2, we had to spray insecticides. Our weekly application of Lara Force was well within the manufacturer's recommended usage of between 3 - 7 days. As the rains had become relentless over a period of about 2 weeks, again we had to take preventative fungicide measure, hence Mancozeb. Again we stuck to recommended dosage.

On reflection, the addition of a very tiny amount of about 5ml of imidacloprid to LaraForce Gold in a 20 litre knapsack should have been avoided. We will not repeat that in the future.

I think our customers can feel safe about our cucumbers as we generally do not spray unless we absolutely need to. Also, you said, you wouldn't eat cucumber from our farm because of the amount of 'chemicals' we spray, but a few sentences before that, you had said our downy mildew problem arose because we did not spray enough mancozeb grin Meaning we should have sprayed even more chemicals?

Anyway, thanks again.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by DeLaRue: 10:44am On May 30, 2019
jidestroud:
shocked

angry angry angry
Just when I was beginning to fall for your anti-chemical crusade. Or is it just a thing for cucumber people

The things is, we really don't care why we push off into the market. I once went to get some field experience with the farmers along Lasu gate. It was thrilling for me, got so much knowledge from real time farmers and was so surprised to see how much vegetable farming could rake in in such a short period of time. Well, that's beside the point. While there, I saw some abnormalities. Most of the vegetables produced there are actually being exported outside the country. These vegetables are grown with organic manure, almost without synthetic chemicals nor fertilizers while those pushed into the naija markets were those with defects, sprayed anyhow...etc. I was forced to voice on one particular occasion; why una no fit just do the same thing for all the vegetables?. But, he was quick to defend that there's actually nothing wrong in using fertilizers and spraying chemicals, just that for them to meet the exportation standard, those are things they must do. What a foo.lish response!!! undecided

I think the gentleman should be able, if he so desires, to keep a foot in both sides of the 'inorganic' vs. 'organic' farming debate.

Militarising the debate, and demanding that people should only promote organic farming will only serve to drive a wedge between farmers.

There is a lot of good in practicing organic farming, though there is no scientific proof that eating organic foods is better for you than eating foods grown under responsible pesticide use.

Also, Nigeria will not be able to feed its people, if all farmers are forced to practice organic farming i.e, no inorganic fertilizer, pesticides and fungicides. More than 90% of all foods in the Nigerian market today, including shoprite, are grown inorganically. Organic farming cannot meet all our food needs in this country.

I think what would be most beneficial is better education for farmers about responsible use of inorganic inputs.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by jidestroud(m): 10:52am On May 30, 2019
DeLaRue:

I think the gentleman should be able, if he so desires, to keep a foot in both sides of the 'inorganic' vs. 'organic' farming debate.

Militarising the debate, and demanding that people should only promote organic farming will only serve to drive a wedge between farmers.

There is a lot of good in practicing organic farming, though there is no scientific proof that eating organic foods is better for you than eating foods grown under responsible pesticide use.

Also, Nigeria will not be able to feed its people, if all farmers are forced to practice organic farming i.e, no inorganic fertilizer, pesticides and fungicides. More than 90% of all foods in the Nigerian market today, including shoprite, are grown inorganically. Organic farming cannot meet all our food needs in this country.

I think what would be most beneficial is better education for farmers about responsible use of inorganic inputs.

The bolded sums up my fears.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 11:14am On May 30, 2019
jidestroud:
shocked

angry angry angry

The things is, we really don't care why we push off into the market. I once went to get some field experience with the farmers along Lasu gate. It was thrilling for me, got so much knowledge from real time farmers and was so surprised to see how much vegetable farming could rake in in such a short period of time. Well, that's beside the point. While there, I saw some abnormalities. Most of the vegetables produced there are actually being exported outside the country. These vegetables are grown with organic manure, almost without synthetic chemicals nor fertilizers while those pushed into the naija markets were those with defects, sprayed anyhow...etc. I was forced to voice on one particular occasion; why una no fit just do the same thing for all the vegetables?. But, he was quick to defend that there's actually nothing wrong in using fertilizers and spraying chemicals, just that for them to meet the exportation standard, those are things they must do. What a foo.lish response!!! undecided

Well, you may want to explain the text in red, why did you choose to use almost? What do they use actually?

Let me state my position with these illustrations. The president of Nigeria is the president of christians, moslims, babalawos, juju men, lodge societies, atheists, etc. These groups of people think differently. Second illustration: Let me borrow the response of Pastor Adeboye when he was asked about women wearing earrings, trousers etc, and that his denomination created some branches in rich men's places and called them modern or whatever. Hmmm! The man responded, "Look at my wife, and you will know what I approve". Lol. It is easy sir.

Sir, my posts speak for themselves on my position. I am a man who have learned to accept all, but I stick to my own practice. And managing critics is what I am learning daily.

Look at this link right on your thread my response to this man. He actually almost attacked me (I used attack cos I did not feel that way, but if I did not handle it well, we might just start arguing. Which I have outgrown. But the man has got solid ppints. Je did not write to abuse me. He simple pointed out a vital point. But he is aware of who I am, of course, he would even ask me such question. I like that man. Here is the link:
https://www.nairaland.com/5080122/100-organic-cucumber-project/1#78616093

Let me ask you these questions.

1. Sir, why haven't you expanded your farm? Could you explain. And do you see yourself expanding to 1 ha soon? Easy for you to handle 1 ha organic farm? Lol...you ran away from organic cucumber....lol....hahha. "E no easy". hahahhaha! Thumbs up to you for that thread. You did a good job bro.

2. Would you do 20% inorganic, and 80% organic? Remember the red phrase I quoted above, esp the word "almost".

These are my opinions as for now (may change if there are reasons based on many factors):

1. Human being behave like children. At times, you allow them touch a naked fire like toddlers before they learn. Maybe we allow them get cancer well well, and die well well too. Before they come back to their senses. (So, I am coming up with powerful chemicals I used to hide from the public. I know I am not eating from open market againgrin Ok. That was a joke. Of course, I will not release all, but anyone who I see is good, I don't hide info from. And if I know the fellow can afford it.)

2. But come to think of it, if I say let them die well well, or they behave like children, am I God? Am I the only righteous one? Do I know all? Or if I was in the man whose farm is with downy mildew, would I not use chemical too? It is my investment.

[b]Note: [b] I actually would not write such in public forum some years ago, in fact I would not say cabriduo, ridomil gold or whatever, but people always ask me to come down to their level. And if I WRiTE Only SCIENTIFIC OR ACTIVE ingredients, They THINK I am writing with ego. But no no no. With active ingredients and scientific names, I am actually telling you 100% so you do not make any mistake. But at times, my openess is termed "I too know". But I keep learning daily.

3. Let me borrow Mr. President's (Buhari) quote (which he also borrowed too) in his first inauguration. I belong to everybody, and I belong to no one . I will answer you exactly based on your practice and approach.

Now, let's talk about organic. I will surely write more on it. But believe me, more inorganic are here. Hustlers are the ones here. Even Dangote and Ote$ are our grand patrons in husttling. hahahaaaahahah. So, most care about profit. Bros, no vex at all. If I just carry organic on top my head like I have a big coconut head, fire......fire....fire....from everywhere I will receive. So, let me be diplomatic in my approach. I love everyone here.

Concerning exporting organic products, I would do same too. Points to note:

1. Is there any single shelf in Shoprite, Spar and HubMart for organic? Lol. I think they realised we care less. No reward for organic farmers. In abroad, organic shelves are 3 times more expensive, or more. But go to South Africa where Shoprite originates from, there are organic shelves with different prices from inorganic. lol. Naija! We are different spicie of human.

2. Would you do 100% organic and take it to Mile 12? Sir, if you go the following day to see your products there, if not finished sold, I am sure you will not attempt to take your products there again. Why? Just bring a sample and let me take another sample from an inorganic farm, your 100% organic which has stayed 12 to 24 hours in Mile 12 will be more hazardous to health. So, why would I bother to take organic products there?

3. I believe that logistics (transportation) is a big hindrance. To do organic in large scale, it is a must to move around loads of heavy manure, and carry many tons of materials. How many farmers have can afford to buy just a single mini truck? How many farmers can even afford a bike to take them to farm too. I have seen all sir.

4. My own way of thought is that greenhouse farming with long term products (indeterminate varieties) should be with organic in Naija for now. No need for buying staking planks for plants again inside a greenhouse Lol. And take time to source for market among the rich, nutritionists, good health observers, expats, etc. Also, you use less land for such approach, with high yield. Thereby using very minimal tons of manure and other materials. Then, you can grow comfortably and expand by buying cattles, pigs, rodents for your farm to get manure. And enough rabbits which are my first preference for organic farm.

The road to having 100% organic production for even Nigerians who want good health is hard, but it is achievable. Just that it's frustrating. So, for now, I think we avoid the debate. I want to keep organic to only gardening like you have been doing. But I have better ideas of doing somethings differently. Oh! I wish I have faithful field partners like you who can take instructions and get things done on farm. I will bail out some good profit bro with such partners.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 11:33am On May 30, 2019
DeLaRue:

Thanks for the suggestions for treating the downy mildew.

I agree on sensible use of insecticides.

We had a serious infestation of a red (with black spots) insect, very early on, with leaves being eaten at a frightening pace. When the situation had not improved by week 2, we had to spray insecticides. Our weekly application of Lara Force was well within the manufacturer's recommended usage of between 3 - 7 days. As the rains had become relentless over a period of about 2 weeks, again we had to take preventative fungicide measure, hence Mancozeb. Again we stuck to recommended dosage.

On reflection, the addition of a very tiny amount of about 5ml of imidacloprid to LaraForce Gold in a 20 litre knapsack should have been avoided. We will not repeat that in the future.

I think our customers can feel safe about our cucumbers as we generally do not spray unless we absolutely need to. [b]Also, you said, you wouldn't eat cucumber from our farm because of the amount of 'chemicals' we spray, but a few sentences before that, you had said our downy mildew problem arose because we did not spray enough mancozeb grin [/b]Meaning we should have sprayed even more chemicals?

Anyway, thanks again.

You are so hilarious sir. hahahahhahhahaha! Even I will not eat on my inorganic farm. Sir, if I was doing tomato this rainy season, I would do inorganic. I might even go up to 80% inorganic. But I will maintain withdrawal approach. And sir I would not eat from the farm. Believe me! I would not eat from my inorganic farm too. I would hava a mini organic far a bit from the farmm Even its just 5 plants. That will save me from sny temptation. Fact!

Dangote too produces many things that he doesn't eat from. Even Smokers are liable to die young, but if I gat a good contract to produce tobacco, a don jump inside farm sharply. You saw it with your eyes, you read it with your mind, but you choose to smoke. Na your wahala. A beggie! Lol! As long as tobacco has many other benefits, and I am not sure which you want to use it for. If Mr president says, guys there is medicinal cannabis today, I will be the first to apply. lol. If you tell me that it is against my religion, I will tell you to bring God from heaven to tell me. But one thing about me is that if my conscience says no to something, no matter how you tey to convince me, I will stay to my principle.

But if ai know it is banned, even it has benefits, I will stay clear off. A lawless nation, is without crime. But the law says do not grow it. Not my job to argue stupidly. I can push my case constructively, but no to illegal stuff. No to Opium, no to cocaine, etc.

Lack of money makes people bend their principles, but I thank God for vegetables. Fast crop like cucumber, radish, okra, zuchini have sent away embarrassments.L from my life. And average term tubers like tumeric has made me smile too. I have had my own sad stories too.

It is well. Bless you all my readers.

2 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by funsoul: 12:13pm On May 30, 2019
What an interesting, educative and entertaining thread!!! Diligently following bumper 2 bumper
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 3:04pm On May 30, 2019
Organic will make more sense in control environment (green house).
But its not easy to farm cucumber with organic only in open field. Nah big loss o. Insects loves cucumber a lot.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 30, 2019
funsoul:
What an interesting, educative and entertaining thread!!! Diligently following bumper 2 bumper
Glad you find it educative. It is a good venture. And I want baby to think more of smaller plots which are nearer. What are your own personal interests if I may ask? What are you doing? Or what do you plan to do?

FMCASH:
Organic will make more sense in control environment (green house).
But its not easy to farm cucumber with organic only in open field. Nah big loss o. Insects loves cucumber a lot.
I know people from Ekiti who move greenhouse products to Lagos and IB. They always tell me that it is the most rewarding decision of their lives. Not those useless commercial kits by that common company. Of course not. And believe me, the moment you start, ideas will flow. You gat 1 year of weekly sales to make. So, how can you not find buyers? Not possible. Most are afraid of sales cos the only place they know is Mile 12 kind of market. Market dey well well. No shaking. I even know a consultant who used to work in Ilorin and Kainji. And the greenhouses were so profitable. He said his boss still sells in lagos and IB.

Drought Vegetables Farming is an area I am going to explore soon. Let me see how I can reduce cost of production by turning in drip system only 2 times per week for my cucumber, instead of 14 times per week we do presently.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by funsoul: 8:48pm On May 30, 2019
Pistotita:

Glad you find it educative. It is a good venture. And I want baby to think more of smaller plots which are nearer. What are your own personal interests if I may ask? What are you doing? Or what do you plan to do?
Am still a mini farmer, just started my foray into farming. First time in sacks wasn't too bad. Got 23 bags from close to 400 plants.
Second time was a disaster on a plot (downy mildew n root knot) and couldn't monitor it. This is my third season on another plot not too far from my house so I can monitor it very well.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by OluchiDelly: 9:55pm On May 30, 2019
funsoul:

Am still a mini farmer, just started my foray into farming. First time in sacks wasn't too bad. Got 23 bags from close to 400 plants.
Second time was a disaster on a plot (downy mildew n root knot) and couldn't monitor it. This is my third season on another plot not too far from my house so I can monitor it very well.
Which variety did u use for d 1st n 2nd ?
Many years ago i had similar experience, I didn't even know what they call D. Mildew. I entered into agritropic shop got can of pointsett and planted, it did very well, sales was OK but d shelf life is poor, within 3 days, it turns yellow and d Hausa clients started complaining. Another thing I observed was d shape, bulky like yam not attractive at all.
In order to please my buyer i decided to plant another variety by d side, I rushed to d shop, pick some cans,looked at d shape, I settled for marketer because of d sexy shape. Lo n behold, at d flowering stage, DM disaster came.
My conclusion , pointsett, though op, has better disease resistance but poor shelf life when compare wt marketer
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 30, 2019
funsoul:

Honestly, if you do sack very well, it is safer. 99.9999% farmers do not give plants the best soil to grow. Very poor soil preparation. I hope you actually understood what went wrong, and what you are doing different now.

You can make that mini plot productive than 1 ha in the bus if you can really do the right things

It's good you are trying something you can monitor properly. Good to know. Best of luck
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 30, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Many years ago i had similar experience, I didn't even know what they call D. Mildew. I entered into agritropic shop got can of pointsett and planted, it did very well, sales was OK but d shelf life is poor, within 3 days, it turns yellow and d Hausa clients started complaining. Another thing I observed was d shape, bulky like yam not attractive at all.
In order to please my buyer i decided to plant another variety by d side, I rushed to d shop, pick some cans,looked at d shape, I settled for marketer because of d sexy shape. Lo n behold, at d flowering stage, DM disaster came.
My conclusion , pointsett, though op, has better disease resistance but poor shelf life when compare wt marketer

These varieties are made for large expanse of land without staking. But one can still have them on stakes, and they will produce well of one is ready to get good enzymes and foliar sprsy.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:19am On May 31, 2019
How I set up my highly profitable garden

1. Soil tests. Nutrients and Pathogen. I do both now personally. I realised that what they give in labs around are not accurate, and cannot afford sending samples abroad everytime. Using them us failure. Take it, or leave it.

2. Prepare Manure and innoculate it with microbes based in step 1 results above. Note: If I want the best compost with microbes, I mix some additional organic materials inside my compost. Materials that are organic fingicides. They are leaves, and can be hard to find. Neem cake is an open secret which is one of the materials I use, but I have stopped cos these cake sellers just over charge farmers. Everyone is looking for money. Imagine my ex worker told me yesterday that a farmer was demanding for N285k for 1 ton of neem cake. Is that not madness? And I am sure that kind of seller is a consultant who has no farm. if he does, he will never put such amount on it.

3. I choose seeds or seedlings based on the following:
a) buyers preference if retailing
b) selling agents' recommendation with thorough investigation based on market retailers preferences
c) identified pathogens and defects in step 1, 2, and 3 above
d) different approaches: might use 2 or 3 cultivars at the same time, might put two or three cultivars together as 1 plant, might have 2 or 3 different species or cultivars on same plant (advance stage).

4. I formulate a spraying program based on step 1 and the already known climatic condition of the garden location.

4. Usually I make my beds very high, and I lay drip and mulch . I do not go beyond 1 plot so it is affordable. Even, I can afford 3 plots. And 1 acre tomato for me is affordable. I use thick mulch and not all those extremely thin ones which lasts 6 months that is in the market here. Also, I choose my color wisely. I rarely use silver as promoted by some consultants. Silver is good but the kind of silver made with those cheap materials and at the same time selling at high cost is not effective. Basal nutrient application is necessary whether organic or inorganic.

5. I stopped using general nutrition recommendation when I detected that cultivars have different nutrition recommendation. I base this solely on tissue test. And I do not joke with basal application while preparing soil.

6. I pray and work hard. I am always hopeful of bountiful harvests.

With these steps, I can never fail again with God on my side if external hindrances are not there. Will talk about these external hindrances later.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 31, 2019
@funsol
What actually went wrong with your sack? I have some ideas about sack I implemented. Have you ever tried slicing tomatoes in sack? I have some ideas. Could you share your challenges?
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by funsoul: 7:32pm On May 31, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Ist-tokyo
2nd-murano
Am not going out on a limb to say its the variety until I finish this season I planted murano. The environmental conditions where I planted was also different from the first(swampy) which I think made it prone to DM. Even with the Tokyo I noticed on a particular leaf the orangey sign, cut it off and started using fungicides and the season went well. Then I monitored extremely well
About this shelf life of a thing I have planted about 3 varieties (tokyo,darina and greengo)and stored for a week and it didn't rot but with the murano after 3-4 days it started showing signs of rot. Do you think it has anything to do with fungal infections?
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by funsoul: 7:39pm On May 31, 2019
Pistotita:
@funsol
What actually went wrong with your sack? I have some ideas about sack I implemented. Have you ever tried slicing tomatoes in sack? I have some ideas. Could you share your challenges?

Oga I think the sack was even better in relation to planting on ground,though it could have been better because I had water challenges along the line. I noticed that when I planted during the dry season it started fruiting day 28 but for this rainy season day 25! I was actually surprised. Don't know if it's the weather or water.
I plan on doing tomatoes targeting January so I can sell during this period. Probably just a plot I will use as my pilot. Still dotting my I's n crossing the T's from the info am getting from the ogas
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 7:52pm On May 31, 2019
[quote author=funsoul post=78902496]
Ist-tokyo
2nd-murano
Am not going out on a limb to say its the variety until I finish this season I planted murano. The environmental conditions where I planted was also different from the first(swampy) which I think made it prone to DM. Even with the Tokyo I noticed on a particular leaf the orangey sign, cut it off and started using fungicides and the season went well. Then I monitored extremely well
About this shelf life of a thing I have planted about 3 varieties (tokyo,darina and greengo)and stored for a week and it didn't rot but with the murano after 3-4 days it started showing signs of rot. Do you think it has anything to do with fungal infections?[/quote)I think the main cause of Murano not lasting has to do the extreme thick flesh it has and little cavity for seeds,the thickness of the cucumber is like original cow head kanda,so it collapses easily.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by OluchiDelly: 7:59pm On May 31, 2019
funsoul:

Ist-tokyo
2nd-murano
About this shelf life of a thing I have planted about 3 varieties (tokyo,darina and greengo)and stored for a week and it didn't rot but with the murano after 3-4 days it started showing signs of rot. Do you think it has anything to do with fungal infections?
When I planted my Morano, I didn't take note of d shelf life as I sold it immediately after d harvest. OkoroEmeka can throw more light on dat.
You, said u planted Tokyo, darina, greengo.
People are really condemning Tokyo ds days in terms of DM resistance, greengo is tested n trusted from farmers report.
What about d darina in terms of DM resistance?
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 8:41pm On May 31, 2019
[quote author=okoroemeka post=78903037][/quote]boss please what s d expected yield on a plot of pepper ND how many stand of pepper wil it have
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by funsoul: 8:45pm On May 31, 2019
[quote author=okoroemeka post=78903037][/quote]
Lol @ kanda, would observe this season and give my findings
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 8:48pm On May 31, 2019
OluchiDelly:

When I planted my Morano, I didn't take note of d shelf life as I sold it immediately after d harvest. OkoroEmeka can throw more light on dat.
People are really condemning Tokyo ds days in terms of DM resistance, greengo is tested n trusted from farmers report.
why doing open monkey with your money when you have greengo as an alternative this rainy season,that's why we love cu 999 ,it's an ancient hybrid but it's tested and trusted.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by funsoul: 8:51pm On May 31, 2019
OluchiDelly:

All three are not bad when the right protocol is followed. I planted the 3 both rainy season n dry season. Rainy season all 3 had DM. Started with Tokyo but it was the oldest. My spraying protocol was bad. Dry season no DM. First sign I saw cut it off and it went well
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 11:00pm On May 31, 2019
Fungi/raining season cause quick rotten of over matured fruits, harvest them premature, I experience on another variety too
funsoul:

Ist-tokyo
2nd-murano
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 11:20pm On May 31, 2019
OluchiDelly:

if you spray systemic fungicide regularly Tokyo over comes DM
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:37am On Jun 01, 2019
funsoul:

Oga I think the sack was even better in relation to planting on ground,though it could have been better because I had water challenges along the line. I noticed that when I planted during the dry season it started fruiting day 28 but for this rainy season day 25! I was actually surprised. Don't know if it's the weather or water.
I plan on doing tomatoes targeting January so I can sell during this period. Probably just a plot I will use as my pilot. Still dotting my I's n crossing the T's from the info am getting from the ogas

Do you have a farm you wanna use? If yes, I can see your protocol, and see how to improve it. Again, you should try the cultivars you plan using ahead. Yeah, seasons are gonna be different, but better than not trying.

How good are you with taking instructions over whatsapp?
How good are you with moving projects to the expected end? I do not want to hear, goats ate them or there was no water at some point. lol.
And can you always give me updates?

I may suggest some seeds from my experience. If you can afford them, why not, go on trials. Someone else wants to tryout some seeds of a particular cultivar too and I might pilot him htoo.

Not sure yet if I am up to this commitment of monitoring from A to Z. But if I choose, you may want to share your experience here. I think readers love pictures and videos too. lol.

funsoul:

All three are not bad when the right protocol is followed. I planted the 3 both rainy season n dry season. Rainy season all 3 had DM. Started with Tokyo but it was the oldest. My spraying protocol was bad. Dry season no DM. First sign I saw cut it off and it went well

Well said to the bolded sentence.

Cultivars choice is a matter of personal preferences from my observation. It is why I emphasize on trials. If we put it to test here, you will all see my point. Personally, greengo is not my first choice of open field slicing, but I can use it anytime. it's got its short coming too. And there are still cultivars people are not talking about here. I am shocked Technisem, East West, and ThaiAgro only are what people discuss nairaland. Seeds dey ooo. There are more cultivars around.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by DeLaRue: 11:31am On Jun 01, 2019
Well said to th. I am shocked Technisem, East West, and ThaiAgro only are what people discuss nairaland. Seeds dey ooo. There are more cultivars around.

[/quote]

Perhaps you could mentioned one or two of these other seeds.

Something I notice about Tokyo (though I'm using it for the first time) is that it is has relatively few leaves but a large number of fruit. I like the fact it isn't bushy. Only challenge so far is DM.

But as you said, with the right approach, the DM can be managed. I will stick with Tokyo for now.

I'm planting cu999 and a new batch of Tokyo next week.

I planted greengo in November. Wasn't too impressed.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 01, 2019
Any approved herbicides?
Minimal human side effects?
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 01, 2019
DeLaRue:

Well said to th. I am shocked Technisem, East West, and ThaiAgro only are what people discuss nairaland. Seeds dey ooo. There are more cultivars around.

Perhaps you could mentioned one or two of these other seeds.

Something I notice about Tokyo (though I'm using it for the first time) is that it is has relatively few leaves but a large number of fruit I like the fact it isn't bushy. Only challenge so far is DM.

But as you said, with the right approach, the DM can be managed. I will stick with Tokyo for now.

I'm planting cu999 and a new batch of Tokyo next week.

I planted greengo in November. Wasn't too impressed.

I have mentioned quite a number of cultivars, and there are still new ones which will come out. My point is that farmers should not restrict themselves to just the ones mentioned above. Check Lions Seed cultivars. Also there is Xgel too, (Seed companies are in Kano) check the ones they have. Thai Agro has other cultivars (it's over 4 years I buy from them) in those days. Not sure if they still have. Even East West has another one apart from greengo and Monalisa. Farmers should just be deligent in their search. And not depend only on what is written here. It is their duty to find sales reps and ask the company directly instead of sub dealers who cannot give you technical answers. Do those sub dealers even know what is called downy mildew?

Check the bolded phrase, hmmmm. I wish you can post the pic. You may face serious flower abortion. Your plant must be matured enough to carry heavy load. At times when I see thst the plants aren't strong enough, I may delay fruiting if there is no terrible disease. It comes with experience. Again, having many female flowers do not translate to automatic high yield. Take not bro.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2019
NiyiRocks:
Any approved herbicides?
Minimal human side effects?

Better you go for mulch. Though if I see a responsible farmer, I can recommend a procedure. But I cannot write such here. Readers will abuse it. Stick to mulch.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by kripen(m): 3:40pm On Jun 01, 2019
Please this is a pilot project. Any sachet foliar spray I can use in this small farm. Great farmers am I doing it well from the pix

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29)

5-Star Luxurious Ram & Goat Barn With AC & DSTV (Photos, Video) / price-list for all day old birds in Ibadan / 5 Ways to Eliminate Wall Geckos In Your Home/ Office. No 2 Will Shock You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.