Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,721 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant (59706 Views)

How True Is The Myth About This Plant And What's The English Name / What's The Best Crop To Plant And Have Maximum Output On A 3 Plots Of Land? / Castor Plant And Castor Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Juliana7: 10:31am On May 21, 2019
@op, thank u Sire, I am very grateful Sir for d insightful message. Going by d pictures d 2 picture is what ppl demand for majorly in d open market in Lagos and et all(I think that is d Roma tomatoes) I hope that last picture is not tomatoes, it looks like eggplant LOL.. Pls Sir have u heard of cobra f1.? Thanks
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by OluchiDelly: 1:36pm On May 21, 2019
Pistotita:

Yes. It is true.

Juliana. A bro or a sis?

Two reasons:

Number 1:
Padma:
High Resistance- tomato mosaic virus, Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. lycopersici race 1, 2, Verticillium dahliae ,
Intermediate Resistance: Bacterial Wilt

Platanium:
High Resistance -Tomato mosaic virus Verticillium Dahliae
intermediate resistance: Bacterial Wilt, Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus

Fusarium 1,2,3 are rampant during rainy season. Padma knocks out 1 and 2. Though can be controlled with fungicides.

TYLCV is a virus caused by whiteflies. And very deadly. Though you can use special pesticides. But during rainy season, you hardly have challenges with virus.

Number 2:
Parma aborts fruits with high heat. This is the main reason. It has poor heat fruit setting. Heat aborts the flowers.

The main reason I do not consider East West tomato cultivars is because non of their seeds can tolerate Early and Late Blight. Too bad. If blight occurs, one is screwed. So, the option left is not to joke with special fungicides for early blights. One of such chemical is around N15,000 to N21,000 for just 500ml. And you need it continuously. Cos it it catches blight at any stage, you are screwed.

In General, fear these diseases: Bacterial Wilt, TYCLV, Early Blight, Late Blight. These are tropical terrible diseases. Also be ready to face Vd, Fol 3, .

What's ur take on chibli hybrid tom seed from syngenta, esp d disease resistance catalogue?
I bought one but some arsonists set d nursery ablaze.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 22, 2019
Juliana7:
@op, thank u Sire, I am very grateful Sir for d insightful message. Going by d pictures d 2 picture is what ppl demand for majorly in d open market in Lagos and et all(I think that is d Roma tomatoes) I hope that last picture is not tomatoes, it looks like eggplant LOL.. Pls Sir have u heard of cobra f1.? Thanks

It is not egg plant. It is an ancient heirloom called Green Zebra. Lovely, tasty, and delicious. For personal consumption, gardeners, chefs and caterers. For pro-long life. For cancer-free promoters. There are many more varieties I have been teaching people how to grow in their rooms, and in their compound if there is free space for small garden, or container farming.

Not ROMA. That is indeterminate kind. Roma has 3 types: Roma V, Roma VF (most common), and Roma VFN (the best). Try Roma on commercial at your risk in the South. I would cultivate OP like Roma (any kind), Tropimech, Rio Grande, UC 10.5, UC 28.C, etc with grafts on commercial scale.

I know Cob.ra and I have mentioned it in one of my posts above. m The main disadvantage is that it is with medium size fruits of 70g to 80g fruits. Not bad, but if you want to attract customers, 150grams and above will do the magic. So, co.bra should be only during rainy season when there is scarcity (when buyers have no choice). But you will use fungicides heavily on it.

Disease Resistance:
Intermediate Resistance: Bacterial Wilt, TYLCV

High Resistance: TMV, F 0 - 1, and V.

Cobra cannot tackle Blights. You must use chemicals especially during rainy season it.

Wilts esp BW and virus (curly leaves) are tolerated. They may be infected, but if you continue using chemicals on them, they will not break down like OPs. Remove OP which are not highly resisted so they do not infect these kinds. OP around them will weaken them.

Summary: Not a bad variety, but not my first choice because of the fruit size, and because it cannot fight blight. But will still work during rainy season. Will germinate and fruit well in dry season, but bigger OP fruits from the North will drop its price.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 22, 2019
OluchiDelly:

What's ur take on chibli hybrid tom seed from syngenta, esp d disease resistance catalogue?
I bought one but some arsonists set d nursery ablaze.

It will be nice if you can always share the disease resistance catalogue or write out the disease resistance information so we can analyse it together. Anyway, attached is it.

110g fruit size is just ok. Better if bigger.

High Resistance: 2 strains of Fusarium, 3 strains of Verticillum
Intermediate Resistance: 3 strains of Nematodes (Root Knot).

No resistance to BW, Curly leaf, and Blights (these are the deadliest disesses). Will thrive where nematodes arebig issues. Of course if my farm was in the north, and I tested my soil and there was no bacterial Wilt, I would give it a shot only in dry season. But not a choice for me to consider first (personal opinion). I would never try it in the South. Better options available for the region.

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Juliana7: 5:12pm On May 22, 2019
@op, may God richly bless u for all d priceless info u have been dishing out for free. Pls Sir what is ur opinion about pruning tomatoes. Brcos some ppl will say prune indeterminate but don't prune determinate. Some will say prune determinate must especially d sucker. So I:m kinda of confused. Thanks
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by OluchiDelly: 8:17pm On May 22, 2019
Pistotita:

It will be nice if you can always share the disease resistance catalogue or write out the disease resistance information so we can analyse it together. Anyway, attached is it.

110g fruit size is just ok. Better if bigger.

High Resistance: 2 strains of Fusarium, 3 strains of Verticillum
Intermediate Resistance: 3 strains of Nematodes (Root Knot).

No resistance to BW, Curly leaf, and Blights (these are the deadliest disesses). Will thrive where nematodes arebig issues. Of course if my farm was in the north, and I tested my soil and there was no bacterial Wilt, I would give it a shot only in dry season. But not a choice for me to consider first (personal opinion). I would never try it in the South. Better options available for the region.
I don't have d seed catalog info, it's not written on d sachets i bought, that's why I asked about it.
Thanks 4 d info.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 22, 2019
Juliana7:
@op, may God richly bless u for all d priceless info u have been dishing out for free. Pls Sir what is ur opinion about pruning tomatoes. Brcos some ppl will say prune indeterminate but don't prune determinate. Some will say prune determinate must especially d sucker. So I:m kinda of confused. Thanks

Indeterminate fruiting is gradual and will continue growing tall and big for many months. You will harvest for a bout 6 to 10 months or more depending on how you take care of it. It will get to the top of the roof of your stake or greenhouse, and you will have to lower it so that the base will lay on the floor. It is why you need to use mulch with it so that you can place it on the mulch. Again, you have no choice but to just remove old leaves which are yellow. So, pruning is a must for indeterminate. You have no choice. And you have to remove some suckers in order to have free flow of air, else, your whole plants will be too big if you have many plants. And your fruits will be so small. It is for greenhouse growers so that they can have weekly supply for a long period. It is for guys who wants to do bed preparation just one time per year. And you can grow beefsteak, cherry, currant, and grapes. Most heirloom plums are also indeterminate.

Determinate on the other hand are mainly plums for commercial purpose. When we say commercial, it is meant for paste, ketchup and juice. They are the types we use in NIgeria for stew and soup. And you can grow in hectares. So, can you start pruning hectares of tomatoes? Manufacturers make it in a way you do not prune. The fruit for just max of 2 months and bring out massive fruits. I have mentioned cobra that it is a small fruit. What growers do is that they prune the leaves so that fruits can be bigger. But 1 plot to 1 acre growers can easily do that. But of course yield will be lower. But when you choose a cultivar that produces big fruits, do not ever prune it, You can only prune the bottom during rainy season if you see the leaves turning yellow.

I hope I have answered your questions. knowing the concept behind everything is the secret.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 22, 2019
OluchiDelly:

I don't have d seed catalog info, it's not written on d sachets i bought, that's why I asked about it.
Thanks 4 d info.

Let me know your region and I can give you some options, but I can do this only privately as I want to appear as not promoting any seller or brand here. I am a neutral person. It seems most people concentrate on plums. But that should not be the area to concentrate on if you are small scale. You can do it only for rainy season if you are in the south and small scale. You cannot compete with the hausas during dry season except you do it very big with tractors too. Or you come together in groups to cultivate large hectares. Rainy season is tough, but if you do the right thing, you will find it very easy. But why not just get a plot, and put a net house or simple shade. You do not even need 1.5million to 10 million naira nethouse. You have the liberty of making cheap construction like poultry house. Then use a special net (a cheaper alternative is available). Just prevent cross pollination with it, and bring temperature down. Thats all you need. Sterilize your soil, or use grafted seedlings. You will make weekly income for good one year.

There are quite some Greenhouse owners, shoprite and Spar agents who have been asking me for help to get reliable suppliers. Some go to Cotonou to get good stuff. You can do beefsteak or cherry tomato. In fact, capsicum is not bad at all.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:00am On May 23, 2019
If you are greenhouse owners, or supplier of shoprite and spar, and you need producers of vegetables, contact me. I can hook you up with producers.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by bosagro23: 6:51am On May 23, 2019
Good morning sir. This thread has being the best I've ever seen on nairaland agriculture section. What is your assertion on cu999? To you, is it the best as its been touted all over? I really want to plant it now

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 7:40am On May 23, 2019
bosagro23:
Good morning sir. This thread has being the best I've ever seen on nairaland agriculture section. What is your assertion on cu999? To you, is it the best as its been touted all over? I really want to plant it now

Normally, I do not make comments on cultivars publicly, but since I have started, I think you should bring it on. Most likely I will change this thread's topic to tomato and Cucumber Cultivars, Fungicides, Pesticides, organic options, Questions and Answers, while I start a new thread on the high yield objectives. Let me see if more questions and answers will come by here. I think people have many unanswered questions.

Cu999 is a good cultivar. Believe it. It is a savior in many areas. But there are cultivars in its league presently. It is even getting common in Lagos if you harvest very fast without making it get big. And that is the beauty part of cucumber, if you harvest rapidly, you get better yield. Like if Cu999 is around 300-400grams and you harvest, and you don't allow it to get to 800g or 1kg, you will harvest and get tired. Likewise if greengo is around 200grams and you do not allow it to get to 400grams, you will harvest and get tired. Please, forget all those pictures showing you length and width of fruits using biros/ball pens, rulers, soda PET bottles, etc . It is good, it shows me the capability of the cultivar, but I am more interested in the width and the market determines what to do. My target is to avoid strong seeds inside it. Therefore, for high yield, avoid reaching the maximum level of the cultivars.

If you are doing dutch long varieties that will reach over 30cm or even up to 40cm, shoprite, spar and other brands will never take it from you at this size. It must be small like 20cm or even less like 12 to 15cm. it means you harvest quickly. So, when you prune these kinds, you use sense doing it so you do not end up with loss. If you are pruning Cu999, you use sense too depending on the sizes you are producing. Ignore the gimmicks of extreme big size. But big size cultivars has the advantage of better profit if there is disease on the farm. The smaller the fruits, the more nutritious they are. Rich people go for extreme small sizes, thin skin that get damaged easily, but they are tasty. They prefer refrigerating their veggie. They care less about long life shelf.

In 2014, it was a savior when Nagano messed me up cos I was on a downy mildew infected region. And I had Murano too on the land. But I would not do these 3 combos again. I have better combos based on regions. There are still places like in Ilesha that the best for them is Nagano because it is powdery mildew that is disturbing them and not downy.

Let us look at its flowering pattern. You will first get male flowers. But make no mistake, if you feed it well, especially using the following as basal treatment: NPK + Lime + Magnesium (or you spray Epsom Salt), and you still get the right soil PH for your variety, or for cucumber in general. you must mix veyr well with soil in good proportion ( I educate people on the method of application to get goof PH) or you just do yourself more favor by using 500g to 1kg of manure inside the holes of each plant, and add fertilizers, hmmmmmm! You will see wonders. Let your soil be without zero nutrients, they will dazzle you. Just make sure you have prepared stakes down. Seriously, if you tweak fertilization pattern, spraying and staking pattern, you will see wonders. You will see crazy wonders. You will be panting after your crops cos they will almost make you go mad with their growth. I prefer DAP with Calcium and Magnesium, or SSP with Calcium and MAgnesim. If I do not get theses, I go with NPK + Urea + Calcium (lime and not calcium nitrate) + Magnesium. LAstly never joke with micro-nutrients. From day I, use it for crazy high yield.

The main challenge of Cu999 is that with heat, it will start producing many male flowers. And there will be too many which will reduce your yield. This is peculiar to all monoecious. The solution is to alter the flowering pattern to produce more female flowers from its young age so that when heat comes, you will still have numerous female flowers.

With Cu999, you will not have too many flowers abortion like other cultivars. Like I said, there are other cultivars in this league if you are in a region of dark green skinned color. I have tried some and they are good.

Cu999 is on a good league because it has very good shelf life after harvesting. It will does not get easily spoilt. It will last days, and it is good for buyers and agents. I know a particular cultivar which is very big like Cu999 with some nice resistance to downy, and it will not produce bitter taste, but the downsize is that it has short life shelf after harvest. It is extremely hard to sell when the market is bombarded with cucumbers. When you get to market like mile 12, and you have to compete with five 20 feet containers of cucumbers, then you need long life shelf and fresh ones cos the seller might not finish selling even after 3 days, and they put it under sun. The makers of such cultivars do not expect anyone in his right mind to ever expose cucumber to such harsh weather after harvest. Ha! Craziness dey LAgos, I fear the way many people behave. LOL They subject cucumber to heavy heat inside bags for days under the SUn, and they start blaming you that you should have used better cultivars. LOL. But there are special cultivars for this kind of situation.

Nevertheless, Cu999 has it own cons. The worst is that it will be extremely bitter if heat is too much. There is absolutely nothing you will do except you irrigate crazily or shade it. Shading is not feasible for most people. So, there are periods I advised against using it. You will get zero sales if taste is bitter. It is worst than any kind of disease you will ever think of. Another con is that if you are in a region where dark green skinned is favored, you will sell at reduced pricing. Just not good, but can still be used for optimizing yield even if dark skinned green is the targeted market.

Another con is that to alter the flowering pattern, the enzymes used are on the high price level, but it will take you for a long period of time to finish 1 liter bottle. You get 1 liter, and it serves you for many months, even years. These are imported enzymes that are not readily available. It is with deep observations, coupled with consultation of different researchers from Asia especially before I arrive at this unique style.

In conclusion, it is a cultivar that is good for light green market. You will enjoy it more if you mix another variety which produces smaller fruits (you must get the population ratio right due to your peculiar market), cos you can chase buyers away with big sizes fruits (this is from personal experience). You will sell more if you have smaller sizes added to this big jumbo size cultivar. Very good disease tolerated cultivar, but susceptible to bitter taste which will render it useless after hard work.

Best of luck sir.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by bosagro23: 8:57am On May 23, 2019
Pistotita:

Normally, I do not make comments on cultivars publicly, but since I have started, I think you should bring it on. Most likely I will change this thread's topic to tomato and Cucumber Cultivars, Fungicides, Pesticides, organic options, Questions and Answers, while I start a new thread on the high yield objectives. Let me see if more questions and answers will come by here. I think people have many unanswered questions.

Cu999 is a good cultivar. Believe it. It is a savior in many areas. But there are cultivars in its league presently. It is even getting common in Lagos if you harvest very fast without making it get big. And that is the beauty part of cucumber, if you harvest rapidly, you get better yield. Like if Cu999 is around 300-400grams and you harvest, and you don't allow it to get to 800g or 1kg, you will harvest and get tired. Likewise if greengo is around 200grams and you do not allow it to get to 400grams, you will harvest and get tired. Please, forget all those pictures showing you length and width of fruits using biros/ball pens, rulers, soda PET bottles, etc . It is good, it shows me the capability of the cultivar, but I am more interested in the width and the market determines what to do. My target is to avoid strong seeds inside it. Therefore, for high yield, avoid reaching the maximum level of the cultivars.

If you are doing dutch long varieties that will reach over 30cm or even up to 40cm, shoprite, spar and other brands will never take it from you at this size. It must be small like 20cm or even less like 12 to 15cm. it means you harvest quickly. So, when you prune these kinds, you use sense doing it so you do not end up with loss. If you are pruning Cu999, you use sense too depending on the sizes you are producing. Ignore the gimmicks of extreme big size. But big size cultivars has the advantage of better profit if there is disease on the farm. The smaller the fruits, the more nutritious they are. Rich people go for extreme small sizes, thin skin that get damaged easily, but they are tasty. They prefer refrigerating their veggie. They care less about long life shelf.

In 2014, it was a savior when Nagano messed me up cos I was on a downy mildew infected region. And I had Murano too on the land. But I would not do these 3 combos again. I have better combos based on regions. There are still places like in Ilesha that the best for them is Nagano because it is powdery mildew that is disturbing them and not downy.

Let us look at its flowering pattern. You will first get male flowers. But make no mistake, if you feed it well, especially using the following as basal treatment: NPK + Lime + Magnesium (or you spray Epsom Salt), and you still get the right soil PH for your variety, or for cucumber in general. you must mix veyr well with soil in good proportion ( I educate people on the method of application to get goof PH) or you just do yourself more favor by using 500g to 1kg of manure inside the holes of each plant, and add fertilizers, hmmmmmm! You will see wonders. Let your soil be without zero nutrients, they will dazzle you. Just make sure you have prepared stakes down. Seriously, if you tweak fertilization pattern, spraying and staking pattern, you will see wonders. You will see crazy wonders. You will be panting after your crops cos they will almost make you go mad with their growth. I prefer DAP with Calcium and Magnesium, or SSP with Calcium and MAgnesim. If I do not get theses, I go with NPK + Urea + Calcium (lime and not calcium nitrate) + Magnesium. LAstly never joke with micro-nutrients. From day I, use it for crazy high yield.

The main challenge of Cu999 is that with heat, it will start producing many male flowers. And there will be too many which will reduce your yield. This is peculiar to all monoecious. The solution is to alter the flowering pattern to produce more female flowers from its young age so that when heat comes, you will still have numerous female flowers.

With Cu999, you will not have too many flowers abortion like other cultivars. Like I said, there are other cultivars in this league if you are in a region of dark green skinned color. I have tried some and they are good.

Cu999 is on a good league because it has very good shelf life after harvesting. It will does not get easily spoilt. It will last days, and it is good for buyers and agents. I know a particular cultivar which is very big like Cu999 with some nice resistance to downy, and it will not produce bitter taste, but the downsize is that it has short life shelf after harvest. It is extremely hard to sell when the market is bombarded with cucumbers. When you get to market like mile 12, and you have to compete with five 20 feet containers of cucumbers, then you need long life shelf and fresh ones cos the seller might not finish selling even after 3 days, and they put it under sun. The makers of such cultivars do not expect anyone in his right mind to ever expose cucumber to such harsh weather after harvest. Ha! Craziness dey LAgos, I fear the way many people behave. LOL They subject cucumber to heavy heat inside bags for days under the SUn, and they start blaming you that you should have used better cultivars. LOL. But there are special cultivars for this kind of situation.

Nevertheless, Cu999 has it own cons. The worst is that it will be extremely bitter if heat is too much. There is absolutely nothing you will do except you irrigate crazily or shade it. Shading is not feasible for most people. So, there are periods I advised against using it. You will get zero sales if taste is bitter. It is worst than any kind of disease you will ever think of. Another con is that if you are in a region where dark green skinned is favored, you will sell at reduced pricing. Just not good, but can still be used for optimizing yield even if dark skinned green is the targeted market.

Another con is that to alter the flowering pattern, the enzymes used are on the high price level, but it will take you for a long period of time to finish 1 liter bottle. You get 1 liter, and it serves you for many months, even years. These are imported enzymes that are not readily available. It is with deep observations, coupled with consultation of different researchers from Asia especially before I arrive at this unique style.

In conclusion, it is a cultivar that is good for light green market. You will enjoy it more if you mix another variety which produces smaller fruits (you must get the population ratio right due to your peculiar market), cos you can chase buyers away with big sizes fruits (this is from personal experience). You will sell more if you have smaller sizes added to this big jumbo size cultivar. Very good disease tolerated cultivar, but susceptible to bitter taste which will render it useless after hard work.

Best of luck sir.
Thanks for this. I really appreciate.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by bosagro23: 2:40pm On May 23, 2019
Pistotita:

I think using NPK 15 15 15 is more cost effective. You don't have 15% Nitrogen on it. So, the manufacturer will add more filler which is not too good. And they call it bloom fertilizer. Hmmmm! But wait! Did you call it organic? Ok. If organic, that is another story. What materials are used to make it? And the urea + npk. Just use NPK 15 15 15 again during flowering. I would ditch the bloom fertilizer if it is synthetic. But if the raw materials are organic, I will go for it since it will help in reducing salt.

But why dont you just use SSP only for phosphorus? And if you will NO later, just subtract that from the SSP you will apply during soil preparation. You need to apply nutrient before sowing. apply nutrient 10 days after sowing is a bad technique. If you apply nutrients in soil before planting cucumber, be ready to run cos that cucumber will be flying.

Why do you delay fertilizer application till 10 days after germination? What will your plants feed on for 10 days? Try to use SSP + NPK inside the holes you are planting. Mix very well and see result. You will be amazed. Then after 10 days, start using urea only.

If MOP works well for you, fine. But for me, it is too expensive to use on open field when there are cheaper options readily available.
Can this also be used for watermelon?
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 23, 2019
bosagro23:
Can this also be used for watermelon?

I believe it is principles of vegetable crops nutrition you need to understand.

I have grown cucumber with just NPK from start to end. And was just OK. You can use that, but is it the best formular? O course, it is better than not using at all.

For general application, you can use anything. All what is written on nairaland has some effect. But when you are going optimum, you must monitor it yourself so you don't run at loss. Every crop has its own basal, early vegetative, late vegetative, pre blossom, blossom, and fruiting formulars. Most roots use high phosphorus, leaves need not only urea but high potassium and calcium. However, using just only urea can be just OK.

For watermelon, I would use NPK throughout as basal, vegetative and Fruiting. Then spay calcium, magnesium, Sulphur, and micro nutrients for most OP varieties. But if it is hybrid, it is a different ball game to get good yield. And if using fertigation, I will schedule different nutrients in it whether it is OP or hybrid.

People worry too much about nutrients when they should worry more about weed management, fertilizer application if side dressing, disease management, etc. Water melon needs large expanse of land since we do not have the ability of staking it. To me, 1 acre is just a child's game.

If labor is costly, I will find a way to apply NPK like 2 or 3 times only and change many things. Everything is with sense.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 24, 2019
excanny:
I don't know. This sounds kind of crazy to me. But I'm watching from the sidelines.

I actually missed this comment. Very funny. Please, just be patient. I really do not rush when doing trials. It can take 1 yr. Actually, I have done this before ,so it will not take too long. And I want to do this in real time. Not a previous project one is just uploading.

It is not crazy
OK. There are about 30 cultivars I played with last year, and 5 produces 250grams to 400grams plum/slicer. Meaning they are advance Roma. All are determinates, and I can harvest for 2 months. Of course, there are many cultivars like that but even under sterilized conditions, they gave me max of 10 fruits. But I managed to get 5 that gave me average of 60 fruits per plant in 2 months. Of course one of them shoot to 95 fruits. I was dazzled. 95 × 300g = 28.5kg per plant. I was really dazzled. I got 15kg - 28.5kg per plant.

Then, there are semi determinates that gave me 8kg - 19kg per plant over 4 months harvest. 3 even went beyond 6 months harvest.

But sir, it is under sterilized condition. So, it is ok for anyone with greenhouse. It is highly profitable.

Tweaking the cultivars for open field under dry season
The next step was to see if I can do 1,000 plants in dry season and compete with the Hausas. All of the determinates cannot tolerate BW, and deadly Viruses and fungi, so, I had to fortify them with new cultivars, and I use fungicides and pesticides. They all reacted differently. Now, this is the most expensive part of the trial. To get the right kind of cultivars to put together with the identified ones I had, I had to check all the diseases in the soil at different depth on different spots on the area I intend using. So, I found a way to mail soil samples to 2 laboratories in Michigan and Ohio. From the report, I chose neatly and work started.

I noticed that yield dropped in some combos. I realised the combos were not so compatible, but at least a good compromise. I returned to research and I extended my search to Japan, Korea, and to Prince Edward Island. Viola, I got some combos that were boom! One combo shoot up fruits average weight from 280g to 310g, and average of 61 fruits to 72. I was dazzled. The choice of my setup on open field were hydroponics, and drip with mulch. To some extent, some profit can be made in dry season.

Tweaking for Rainy Season
Blight and other deadly fungi were the challenge here. Flood is another issue I look into. So, I had to change the whole combos again. And this time, there was no way to get super high yield cos it was just a harsh condition. If hausas run away from rainy season, it means so much. The best I got was average of 290grams, 45 fruits over 2 months harvest. So, we devised 3 to 5 batches of 500 plants on 3.75plots. Total yield was around 26.1 tons (745 35kg-baskets). You can make your calculation of the sales we made from April to August.

No guess work
I followed a process to make the right choice of cultivars through scientific investigation for my farm. Many do not know the diseases in their soil, and they come here to ask which cultivar is good. Cultivar A may be good for my farm, but may be bad for yours, and we may be in the same city. What we do here are trials and errors.

I chose cultivars based on the climate and likely pests in my farm
In addition, I sprayed according to the pests and insects that showed on the farm. There were traps to catch them at different locations. So, when we want to spray, we first check the kinds of pests and insects in the trap. We just do not spray recklessly.

For cucumber, of course there is a variety which gave me 65 fruits per plant of average 250g per fruit, but I am desperately looking for a market for it. So, it is in the cooler. I have tweaked most slicing "no-need pollination" cultivars too. The main challenge is that most are with thin skin, and the market is limited. But I am working on how to mix 3 cultivars to break well into open market like mile 12 since this is where 90% farmers sell theit products.

My philosophy is small optimum fsrms . I am more concerned with high yield. A big no to inefficient cheap farm set up.

Import Permit Needed for most of these seeds
Some sellers require import permit, so it takes time to get new seeds. I decided to take a break this year, so I have exhausted almost all what I used to have. I am on nairaland because I am on break. Otherwise, I would be extremely busy. But soon, I will start updating you all

I wish I have responsible assistants. Everyone wants to come tap knowledge and run away. So, na me go dey suffer myself with trials and spend so much to achieve it, while you just come tap and run away? So, I am here also to see who is responsible very well to get some things done with my little team. Otherwise, why should I be on nairaland? To show skills? Lol!

Therefore, it is not really crazy. Determination is the KEY. Even with the sales made, there are still outstanding debts which by God's grace will be cleared as soon as I have a working team. Trials are so expensive. We don't produce equipment, so, we must import. Artisans can send one to his village if one is not careful. One must pamper and guide them.

But we will get there soon.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by lahify(m): 9:33pm On May 24, 2019
@pistotita please is monalisa a good variety to cultivate cos you said it sheds flowers after every harvest and you said it may take ten days from one harvest to another.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 24, 2019
lahify:
@pistotita please is monalisa a good variety to cultivate cos you said it sheds flowers after every harvest and you said it may take ten days from one harvest to another.

What farmers write here is that harvest for cucumber is every 5 days. My brother na lie den all dey talk. If every one goes every 5 days, they will have 6 harvests per month. How many have such? Most usually have 3 or 4. And any farmer who can have 8 harvests will do that in 2 months. But over 80% farmers have 4 to 5 harvests in 40 to 50 days. Any farmer here who thinks I am wrong should prove me wrong here.

The ideal way to harvest is every other day, but logistics to market can weigh one down so 5 days is a good compromise, but it is unlikely on open field. Most farmers after harvesting have flower abortions whether they use monoecious or gynecious or pre dominant female. As soon as that occurs the earliest time you go to market is 10 days. But my point is that with the flowering pattern of pre dominant female, abortion tends to be more, and recovery too seems to be earlier than others. The trick are: good pruning, feed well and never joke with micro nutrients (not those traces in DI Grow, Maxi Force, and Haifa Bonus. Get a special micro-nutrient and make sure iron in it is chelated. Boron should be high too. Then mix with Epsom Salt and spray. That is enough for your foliar spray, but if you want, add the DIGrow, Maxi force, or HaifaBonus.

My only concern with Monalisa is not the flowering pattern, but its susceptibility to downy mildew. So, I prefer Murano for this reason since murano is also pre dominant female.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by lahify(m): 10:18pm On May 24, 2019
thank you sir
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 25, 2019
How to choose cultivars
This is a big challenge to farmers, and when I first started, it was one of the greatest challenge I faced. Everyone has got his method, but I will share mine.

Climate and Market
Different climate:
- Hot and dry. (How hot and how dry?)
- Hot and humid.
- Cold and humid.
- Windy or not?
From my personal experience, hot and dry is better than humid. Just start preparing to tackle foliar diseases. OK let those local champions in the north move to Lagos and use their OP varieties. LOL. This is why there was the believe that vegetables do not grow in other parts except the North. So I always research foliar diseases.

Wind carries fungi crazily. Also, can destroy many things on farm. But there aren't pest diseases like that in this kind of region from my experience.

So, watch out for bacterial spots, mildews, blights, and viruses. Any variety which can tolerate mildews (downy and powdery) is good. Darina, Greengo, Murano, Tokyo, and Cu999. There are 5 Star Ring and Popular from Lions. I have not really tested them, but I am drawn towards Popular since it produces very big fruits from 500grams. Xgel brought in some "baddest" cultivars recently from Asia. One is good for not creating excessive laterals which will not require pruning. And it seems they resist mildews very well with big fruits. Presently, I am monitoring the progress of one. If your market does not accept any of these, ditch them. Nagano is specially for powdery mildew.

Soil diseases and good guesses
Laboratory tests is the accurate way, but we all make guesses. Therefore, just make good guess based on the market you are targeting, choose 2 or 3 varieties. It is safer with more than one variety after some years experience . And at times, availability of cultivars influences my decision. There were many times I wanted Murano, but ended up with Darina. Seems Darina's price is very OK. And funny Monsanto haters do not complain about ibthe way they label everything Monsanto GMO.

Just pick 2 good cultivars and move on. The man you are asking to tell you which to use may not even have much experience. Do not rely on what I tell you only. Get started and get deep understanding. Everyone of us started as novice.

Know the flowering pattern of your chosen cultivar(s)
This is important. It guides you on staking, pruning , and organic flower setting enzymes to use. Generally monoecious produce extreme big fruits, followed by pre-dominant female, and the least are gynecious. That a cultivar is big fruits does not mean it has better yield. Of course not. Most smaller fruits have better yield as long as you keep diseases away.

Points to note
- You are at advantage of making better sales with big fruits if you face serious diseases.

-Generally, gynecious and pre-dominant female suppose to give more yield. I think gynecious is rated superior (not really sure). And parthenocarpicc are the best, but does your market accept it? And can you afford the seeds?

-If you are not experienced enough, please leave parthenocarpic. Corinto, Divas, Kareem, Katrina, Mydas, Multistar, Borogna, and Tasty Jyde, are some cultivars in Nigeria. There seems to be no existing light green color for slicing which is for open market. If you are targeting dark green, Corinto and Mydas are two varieties to consider. But the challenge is the thickness of their skin. While light skin is termed to be of better quality by manufacturers based on consuners feedback, and most expensive seeds are, it is not so here. Market women and hawkers dictate what are sold in open market. They want extremely hard skin which can be subjected to sun heat for many days. So, check well.

You cannot cultivate 2 parthenocarpic cultivars, or with another cultivar at the same time. You must find a way to demarcate your farm to avoid cross pollination. I think it will take more time for the prices of parthenocarpic to come down.

A very good OP is Ashley. It is even gynecious. It is very lovely, but yield is lower. Why not without staking if you have large expanse of land that tractor can work on?

General speaking all of the cultivars I mentioned are good. You cannot go wrong with them if you learn how to manage them well. Just understand their management, and improve your skills on handling different flowering patterns.

A point to note
The first time you cultivate a crop is the only time you have the best yield. Except you allow the land rest, or you follow crop rotation rule. Planting same family continuously is wrong. Like you plant cucumber 3 times consecutively, or cucumber watermelon and zuchini is wrong. But what can man do? After investing on bamboo stakes and other stuff, it may be wise to go on round two and three. Lol. But your best production is the first. If your second is better, it means you really messed up your first, and you lost so much profit. Do not ever joke with your first. If you have to go on pilot, do it on a very small scale before using your land. If it is 1 plot you want to do, let your pilot be like 1/15 of 1 plot. Third round is usually not so good. I don't do it.

Put these concepts into consideration and change cultivars to see which you like more. I think it is unwise to be asking which you should use. Every farmer has his/her preference.

3 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 25, 2019
Twagrill:

Strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, apple, pears, kiwi, pomegranate, sour-sop, passion fruits, grapes (green and purple), juniper berry, blackberry, etc

can all these plants you mentioned be grown in nigeria?

Yes, they all can be grown here. But to make it efficient, you need to shade some of them. There are limited cultivars. For example, the best cultivar for apple is red and it is from Israel. The con is that it has very low shelf life. Therefore it is used for making wine mostly. Most people growing it here do not know until harvest time. Perhaps there are better options now, not sure. There are special cultivars for each of the mentioned crop.

My focus presently is not on these crops cos after trials, I detected challenges with each. I am always hunting for brains who have solved these problems or can as I cannot do everything. I am not jack of all trades. It was the reason I voiced my opinion there. For now, veggies have my attention. But I know what to do, what not to, the best cultivars, where to get them, and how to order for all the crops. I am just still hunting for brains and faithful people to outsource the areas I am having challenges to.

Sorry for bringing you here, I just want to avoid that thread.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by OluchiDelly: 3:00pm On May 25, 2019
Pistotita:

Let me know your region and I can give you some options, but I can do this only privately as I want to appear as not promoting any seller or brand here. I am a neutral person. It seems most people concentrate on plums. But that should not be the area to concentrate on if you are small scale. You can do it only for rainy season if you are in the south and small scale. You cannot compete with the hausas during dry season except you do it very big with tractors too. Or you come together in groups to cultivate large hectares. Rainy season is tough, but if you do the right thing, you will find it very easy. But why not just get a plot, and put a net house or simple shade. You do not even need 1.5million to 10 million naira nethouse. You have the liberty of making cheap construction like poultry house. Then use a special net (a cheaper alternative is available). Just prevent cross pollination with it, and bring temperature down. Thats all you need. Sterilize your soil, or use grafted seedlings. You will make weekly income for good one year.

There are quite some Greenhouse owners, shoprite and Spar agents who have been asking me for help to get reliable suppliers. Some go to Cotonou to get good stuff. You can do beefsteak or cherry tomato. In fact, capsicum is not bad at all.

alright
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 3:52pm On May 25, 2019
I went to barracks market today in onitsha and one basket of tomatoes is ₦30,000,I was stunned,with the vast experience and knowledge the OP has in tomato production,I will be surprised if he doesn't have a tomato farm that is been actively harvested now,₦30,000 for a basket is simply money making machine,my marketer further told me that the prices has only one way to go now,and it's UP.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 25, 2019
okoroemeka:
I went to barracks market today in onitsha and one basket of tomatoes is ₦30,000,I was stunned,with the vast experience and knowledge the OP has in tomato production,I will be surprised if he doesn't have a tomato farm that is been actively harvested now,₦30,000 for a basket is simply money making machine,my marketer further told me that the prices has only one way to go now,and it's UP.

Hahahaha Mr. Emeka my dearest vegetable friend. You are very right sir. But I am going to disappoint you that at this moment, I do not have. If I do, you will not see me on nairaland.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention
3 years ago, I had a tomato farm collapsed. Also, I teamed up with someone and had habanero on 1 ha destroyed. Habanero? I was devastated. Though, I later knew the reason. And lastly, I tried recovering with 1 ha cucumber farm, and fuel scarcity destroyed the farm when we started harvesting. I was ready to buy black market fuel, but could not get. 17 cans of Murano and Tokyo went into that farm. Over 15km drip. And come and see boys working. Around December. So, I just slowed down for a month. After, I went to Ibadan to meet an elderly friend, and he sat me down. He prayed with me. And we brainstormed together what could be the issues. Two areas we arrived at are: terrible workers, and bad neighbors. And the last area which I had to swallow my pride was me. I had my own short comings too.

Then, the elderly man got another farmer who came to talk with me. And after cross checking me, I realised that small plots garden can be profitable. This was my turning point. Being the person I am (very detailed), I decided to look for ways to achieve this. I did not stop at the man and the farmer, I checked colleagues who play with veggie as part time (cos they are the ones who do small plots) and I started getting tricks from them.

If you have been following me, I clearly wrote about my sales, and I clearly wrote about settlement of debts, etc. Is it a joke to send soil abroad? To get special seeds from seed banks when one is like $10. Lol. These are seeds breeders multiply, cross breed into hybrids. I was really testing many things. And I was running small plots of cucumber concurrently as living expenses and some other running costs.

Greediness is in the gene of Humans
By the time the prospect of my endeavor start showing to some of the people I was working with, their true nature started showing. And I am a careful person. My brother, when you are good with what you do, your first enemies are your friends, colleagues, and associates . "Na only him?" "Him dey too pompous". Bla bla bla. And workers issue na wahala. Even for the first period in my life, little investors i partnered with almost embarrassed me. I am being opened here, and I want people to learn from me.

Health is Wealth
And I was hit cos I strained myself too much. Bro, God saved me. It was after CT Scan that I got clear direction of what was wrong. But the signals had been there, and I neglected them.

1. For now, it is gardening near my house which is highly profitable. Will not invite premature death cos of millions from tomato during this period.

2. The day I decide to move into big a farm, it must be real commercial with my own farm machineries. It is a decision that I took. Never will I do useless 1 to 10 ha farm the way many do in south here. It must be a standard farm. So. If you expect me to have like 1 ha of farm and make 30 million naira bla bla bla cos of what I know, no way! I will wait till the financial aspect is settled (banks may be involved at that time). And I am ruling out partnership to start with. Life has no duplicate. The way people worship money is crazy. If I start narrating stories of close relatives that started burying charms to prevent me from entering a farm when harvest time was reached, I will not finish the story today.

People who knew me 3 years ago would tell you that anything less than 1 ha farm, I would not touch it then. But all has changed.

Not only Tomato
I am moving back to active service gradually. And I got this waste disposal site (LAWMA) compound that I tipped the security. Of course I will not disclose such location to anyone. In the city, close to me, and very convenient for me. Cucumber per kg is what I want to do there. Will start as soon as I complete arrangement with the guy and his boss. Not always tomato, zuchini is always profitable, cauliflower is there too. Purple egg plants too. But bro, I will not expand too much so that past mistakes do not occur.

My Team First
In order not to have previous experiences with workers, I traveled to the north some months ago to understudy 3 big vegetable farms (understudied human management). And I realised I have more to put in place. In Nigeria, owners have almost 100% control over everything even when they are absent. And if you know the way people go to juju makers just to tie people down to be loyal, hmmmmm. Wait until you gat a big project to do, then, you will realise how the thoughts of men are evil. Jeremiah said "My people are desperately wicked". But there are still plain guys. Many young brilliant chaps that are cut off pre maturely are not uncommon. Only if the victims had applied Godly wisdom.

Not only about farm skills
Success is more of adminstration. It is why I will never return as a farm director. My focus is bringing brains together to brainstorm and find solutions. Also, to be the bridge between workers and the board of any business. Of course I must be a member of the board, if not the chairman. There are many methods to solve challenges, not my methods only.

My bro, my dream is beyond N50 million naira sales every wet season. My dream is crazily, magnificently big. But for now let me concentrate on my mini plots. If I cannot enter tomato jackpot this year, next year is there. It has been there for many years. And it will be there for many years to come until power is settled in Nigeria.

I have many ideas. So, while I was on my sick bed, I just was thinking "will all these ideas just die with me if something happened?" Guy, if I share anything here, I have moved like 10 steps ahead. Greengo, Murano, Nagano, Cu999 are off my cucumber seeds list. Why not just help others doing it? Sure, money is still there. OK. How many can buy 1,000 cucumber seeds for N85,000? Lol. Let me write about them, anyone who can read should read. Anyone who wants to get wisdom, should. Why should I withold them when I am gone past them?

Again, I am beginning to look into doing my own mini poultry, rabbit, grass-cutter, and maybe goats. So, it is time to move to a place I can buy like 6 plots in the city. So, it means I must do odorless animal husbandry. Cos, big farms having organic section must practise animal husbandry.

Let me stop here. I am writing from my inner mind, and I can pour out Psalms, proverbs, Eccl and Songs here. Not Epistles only. Let me just stop. I am doing it gradually, systematically, accurately, with the pace satisfactory to me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by revbcorah: 7:39pm On May 25, 2019
This is a great work. Thanks a million
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Twagrill(m): 7:40pm On May 25, 2019
Pistotita:

Yes, they all can be grown here. But to make it efficient, you need to shade some of them. There are limited cultivars. For example, the best cultivar for apple is red and it is from Israel. The con is that it has very low shelf life. Therefore it is used for making wine mostly. Most people growing it here do not know until harvest time. Perhaps there are better options now, not sure. There are special cultivars for each of the mentioned crop.

My focus presently is not on these crops cos after trials, I detected challenges with each. I am always hunting for brains who have solved these problems or can as I cannot do everything. I am not jack of all trades. It was the reason I voiced my opinion there. For now, veggies have my attention. But I know what to do, what not to, the best cultivars, where to get them, and how to order for all the crops. I am just still hunting for brains and faithful people to outsource the areas I am having challenges to.

Sorry for bringing you here, I just want to avoid that thread.
no p. I'm also learning. Just keep updating please. Thanks
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 8:06am On May 26, 2019
Let us compare Commercial and Small Intensive

Poverty is a disease. Poverty in terms of not having cash is bad, but Mental Poverty is worse. You are just locked in your personal jail. You are the security and the prisoner of your own jail. You have failed like 3 times, yet you want to still use the same style. You are a prey to seed sellers because you have not found the heavenly miraculous seed cultivar. So, you are on nairaland hunting for the glorious kind. Main while, a bright young man found a way to use Roma and Rio Grande. While you complain about them. LOL.

Manufacturers hype seed performances
"Our tomato seeds are bacteria wilt resistant", most tropical with high humid regions suppliers boast. Lol. I am going to be frank with you, the resistants are mostly mild or intermediate resistance. Meaning, the seeds can prevent it with the help of good chemical, or good agro practice. If you are a terrible farmer, that glorious cultivar from the garden of Eden will not save you. Let me shock you. Most likely Roma, UC 28, Tropimech, Rio Grande (these are still up to date commercial cultivars, but there are better ones in circulation) will survive where Cobra, Chibli, Platinum, Padma, Panther, Thorgal, Jaguar, or any kind of these hybrids survive. Do not get me wrong, these hybrids are all good in their own world. But just think deeply. That seed company comes out to say: "This is the the seed to buy" but 2 years later, another kind is out. Is the last one not the cultivar Mrs Eve brought out of Eden again? LOL

From my experience, prolific and high diseases tolerance characteristics on same cultivars are still not available. Maybe soon. You just need to walk around it. You must test, test, and test very well in Nigeria because, the technology to make life easy are not available. At times, they are delayer cos you need to send abroad, or import. Very hard. And how many local farmers even think like this.

You must test your blood, urine, fluid, to know the strain if infection worrying you before you use antibiotics. And the result will show how sensitive each drug is. No guess work at all. Use Xray, Scan tech to see inside you to check all the areas likely affected based on patients' complain. How is Agric different? Just blindly spray chemicals and stupidly choose terrible cultivars? Is it the same disease you think will be in my farm and your farm even we are in the same city? Mainly air borne diseases are common to regions. And there are some air borne released inside soil.

Americans, Mexicans, Europeans produce seeds for specific regions in their countries based on the complains of farmers . In fact, the United States is a superb nation. How can you beat that country? There are free online database for cultivars that fit all regions. They are even grouped excellently. And you can read detailed diseases that have affected the regions. Then, they tell farmers to still send soil samples to government laboratories which are almost free. Hahahahhahhaha! Let me tweak your brain more. Preach on Apostle Pistotita. LOL!

Asians are smart. Oh! It is bacterial wilt, Early Blight, and Yellow Curly Leaf Virus that are the most devastating for tropical regions, and they quickly made breeds like that. Boom! Foolish Africans are buying into this method. How many cucumber cultivars from Thailand are available in Nigeria that claim to be the seed father Adam brought out from Eden that can battle downy mildew and leaves viruses, yet are fake? Funny Cu999 did not even write detailed disease resistant about it, and the variety is just super. But use it without proper irrigation and face the music. It is better you use pointsett instead. Lol.

I share the same philosophy with Tomato Jos boss
She tested many seeds varieties, and did soil tests. But the present one she is using, she decided not to disclose the name. She just said it is from BHN, and called it one funny name. Deep research I made before I got the cultivar. Hmmmm! No wonder I heard she dumped proposals from many research institutes encouraging her to do wet season. "I heard proosals from IITA and the likes full her table, yet she does not even open them". Hahaha. They did not know she is on level 30 in her research while the so called institutes are on level 8. Lol.

Body needs Rest
She (Tomato Jos boss) and all her American team do not spend time in Nigeria from May to September. Time to refresh themselves in the US. Or do something else. They return to Nigeria in October. She just decided not to go into tomato rainy season farming. And she is making millions of naira. Though, she faces challenges too. Tractors, super irrigation system with big resovior, powerful sprayers, greenhouse for nursery etc.

She is not stupid to move her farm to Kaduna
In my own opinion, it is not the land or whatever you think which made her establish there. I would establish in Kano or Kaduna too if running a commercial farm. Most likely Kaduna because it seems the place is more accommodating since refinery and some other nice investments are there. OK. The point is that north is the place buyers are many. Agents from mile 12, Bodija, Mile 2, from the East, from Calabar, from every part of Nigeria are there. Clossness to Market is the Key. People (wholesale buyers) are the market there, and not a particular market. You can never get such flood of buyers if you have your farm outside the north. And you do not need to find them there. They find you. Farm gate price is what you do, and use market prices especially mile 12 to set daily prices. 20 containers can move out of your farm daily. Are you spending on logistics, and marketing? Nope. And these buyers (agents) too move to buy another kind of crop in rainy season. So, why should she do rainy season when her buyers are not available during rainy season?

This discussion will continue in the afternoon. Time to go thank God for another fulfilled week, and ask for favor for this one we are in.

4 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 26, 2019
Requirements for small plots

Note: Learn organic production if you want to live longer.

Open Market Varieties
Yield: My benchmark if using average of 400 grams per fruit is 10 fruits per plant, 2,500 plants per plot. If I do not get 10 fruits, I am not satisfied. If using 250g average fruits size, it will move higher close to 15 fruits. And if I am using parthenorcarpic, if I do not get to 25 minimum, it is not satisfactory. If you put all these together, my standard for a plot is 225 bags minimum. If I mix varieties and at optimum, I should get above 250 bags. And if there is no disease, I will make 300. But I have not attempted to move beyond 1 plot. The knowledge is there, but I do not have the man power presently.

Let me share the procedure with you.

1. Bombard your land with manure. My standard is 1kg per hole. I use piggery manure more cos it is usually free. I do not go near poultry people who want to sell per bag. If using mulch, going to abbattoir and packing dried ones makes sense. That's 2.5ton per plot. I dig out 2,500 holes, and I put the manure there.

2. Add basal nutrient. I use DAP + Lime. Also, you can use SSP + Lime, or NPK + Lime. DAP is the best, followed by SSP. It depends on the soil nature concerning quantity. And this is what separates excellent farmers. Usually, I ask my friends send soil samples so I can formulate optimum nutrition. If you do not use basal, you have lost 10% yield. PH is important, part of the reason I ask for the soil sample. And salinity level is vital. If I noticed your soil is not too good for synthetic, or the organic matters are little, I tell you to go strictly on manure for the first 3 applications. Your soil should be ready for synthetic before flowering.

3. Fertigation with Nitrogen. Urea is the cheapest. Then, we introduce Calicium, Magnesium, and Potassium. We do not joke with Micro Nutrient from the start. I do daily fertigation. Yes, daily.

3. Precaution: Increase phosphorus at the beginning of blossom if you are not sure you have enough phosphorus.

4. Despite using synthetic, there are some strains of microbes that I detected salt cannot kill, and they are effective for fighting numerous soil diseases. We use these microbes throughout the growing period to fight diseases. And I may mix with additional microbes sold by commercial sellers. They also add up in fighting diseases but salt eventually kills them. There is a method for using them. Note. Having a tank for Fertigation and microbes application is vital.

5. Increase Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium from Fruiting to the end.

6. Use enzymes according to flowering pattern.

7. Spray more of MagSul, Amino Acids, Micro Nutrients on leaves, Feed via root NPK and other Major nutrients. I recommend buying battery powered sprayer or knapsack. You may end up spraying almost daily. Not necessarily chemicals, but organic stuff, Amino acids, enzymes to increase brix level of your fruits, Systemic detoxifying and sterilizers to remove chemicals quickly from the plants, etc. I know you no go do am cos it adds some additional cost of production. Lol!

8. Fight downy mildew to almost still with Mancozeb, Matalaxyl, and pyraclostrobin + dimethomorph. If you want 95% to 100% effective synthetic fungicide (will kill downy mildew fast), link up and I will give you the requirements. Of course, you must be on top of your game to use the imported ones. Sparingly you may spray Carbendazim. If battling Powdery Mildew, it is a different ball game. Alternate Contact and Systemic, and Contact + Systemic. Never use Matalaxyl more than two times. Mancozeb should be your main contact fungicide. Very effective, but using it alone or wrongly is not effective.

9. If nematode or worms is your challenge, use Carbofuran in your planting holes.

10. Insecticides: Dimethoate, Lambda-Cyhalothrin, Cypermethrin, Imidacloprid, Methomyl, Betacyfluthrin, Deltamethrin, and Dichlorvos are combos that are very effective.

Open field soil Sterilization, Increase Yield Bastardly
Sterilization of open field is possible. The concept is to use a process which can penetrate a reasonable depth. Eventually, infection will take place for long term crop like tomato since the root goes very deep, but you would have got good harvests prior to this. Some use soil solarizarion, but it is not so effective. The right way is Solarizarion + Chemical. There is a method to flush all the chemicals out before sowing you seeds. It takes, 2 to 3 months process.

If you use this method, you are going on dense population with 30cm emitters distance. And push up your population to about 3,333 - 3,500. And then use parthenorcarpic variety (do not mind the cost of the seeds). There is a method I use and I do not buy seeds. Of course this is beyond the scope of this thread. Perhaps you will make 500 bags, or even more. And you can go like 2 times. What I do is to create another 1 plot far from parthenorcarpic and put monoecious + gynecious, or predominant female flowering there. I make sure both have similar skin. And pack together in bags. So, there are very big and medium sizes fruits in each bag. That is a secret for extreme high yield.

You do not need 6 plots to make it.

You grow in experience on formulation of these synthetic chemicals.

Withdrawal Period is Essential
I hardly release info like this, but I just feel like. Please, do not abuse these chemicals. There are many in the list you should not spray when fruiting. Please, read instructions very well. If you find it hard to use, get an expert to formulate good combos and formulas based on your chosen cultivars.

It is around a week after sowing some tomato seeds which will yield average of 12 - 19kg. I saw two seeds already sprouting this morning. Pictures coming soon.

3 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 4:58pm On May 26, 2019
Good job sir, the lime you're talking about is it the normal limestone for chick or it's a special brand? Thanks!!!
Pistotita:
Requirements for small plots

Note: Learn organic production if you want to live longer.

Open Market Varieties
Yield: My benchmark if using average of 400 grams per fruit is 10 fruits per plant, 2,500 plants per plot. If I do not get 10 fruits, I am not satisfied. If using 250g average fruits size, it will move higher close to 15 fruits. And if I am using parthenorcarpic, if I do not get to 25 minimum, it is not satisfactory. If you put all these together, my standard for a plot is 225 bags minimum. If I mix varieties and at optimum, I should get above 250 bags. And if there is no disease, I will make 300. But I have not attempted to move beyond 1 plot. The knowledge is there, but I do not have the man power presently.

Let me share the procedure with you.

1. Bombard your land with manure. My standard is 1kg per hole. I use piggery manure more cos it is usually free. I do not go near poultry people who want to sell per bag. If using mulch, going to abbattoir and packing dried ones makes sense. That's 2.5ton per plot. I dig out 2,500 holes, and I put the manure there.

2. Add basal nutrient. I use DAP + Lime. Also, you can use SSP + Lime, or NPK + Lime. DAP is the best, followed by SSP. It depends on the soil nature concerning quantity. And this is what separates excellent farmers. Usually, I ask my friends send soil samples so I can formulate optimum nutrition. If you do not use basal, you have lost 10% yield. PH is important, part of the reason I ask for the soil sample. And salinity level is vital. If I noticed your soil is not too good for synthetic, or the organic matters are little, I tell you to go strictly on manure for the first 3 applications. Your soil should be ready for synthetic before flowering.

3. Fertigation with Nitrogen. Urea is the cheapest. Then, we introduce Calicium, Magnesium, and Potassium. We do not joke with Micro Nutrient from the start. I do daily fertigation. Yes, daily.

3. Precaution: Increase phosphorus at the beginning of blossom if you are not sure you have enough phosphorus.

4. Despite using synthetic, there are some strains of microbes that I detected salt cannot kill, and they are effective for fighting numerous soil diseases. We use these microbes throughout the growing period to fight diseases. And I may mix with additional microbes sold by commercial sellers. They also add up in fighting diseases but salt eventually kills them. There is a method for using them. Note. Having a tank for Fertigation and microbes application is vital.

5. Increase Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium from Fruiting to the end.

6. Use enzymes according to flowering pattern.

7. Spray more of MagSul, Amino Acids, Micro Nutrients on leaves, Feed via root NPK and other Major nutrients. I recommend buying battery powered sprayer or knapsack. You may end up spraying almost daily. Not necessarily chemicals, but organic stuff, Amino acids, enzymes to increase brix level of your fruits, Systemic detoxifying and sterilizers to remove chemicals quickly from the plants, etc. I know you no go do am cos it adds some additional cost of production. Lol!

8. Fight downy mildew to almost still with Mancozeb, Matalaxyl, and pyraclostrobin + dimethomorph. If you want 95% to 100% effective synthetic fungicide (will kill downy mildew fast), link up and I will give you the requirements. Of course, you must be on top of your game to use the imported ones. Sparingly you may spray Carbendazim. If battling Powdery Mildew, it is a different ball game. Alternate Contact and Systemic, and Contact + Systemic. Never use Matalaxyl more than two times. Mancozeb should be your main contact fungicide. Very effective, but using it alone or wrongly is not effective.

9. If nematode or worms is your challenge, use Carbofuran in your planting holes.

10. Insecticides: Dimethoate, Lambda-Cyhalothrin, Cypermethrin, Imidacloprid, Methomyl, Betacyfluthrin, Deltamethrin, and Dichlorvos are combos that are very effective.

Open field soil Sterilization, Increase Yield Bastardly
Sterilization of open field is possible. The concept is to use a process which can penetrate a reasonable depth. Eventually, infection will take place for long term crop like tomato since the root goes very deep, but you would have got good harvests prior to this. Some use soil solarizarion, but it is not so effective. The right way is Solarizarion + Chemical. There is a method to flush all the chemicals out before sowing you seeds. It takes, 2 to 3 months process.

If you use this method, you are going on dense population with 30cm emitters distance. And push up your population to about 3,333 - 3,500. And then use parthenorcarpic variety (do not mind the cost of the seeds). There is a method I use and I do not buy seeds. Of course this is beyond the scope of this thread. Perhaps you will make 500 bags, or even more. And you can go like 2 times. What I do is to create another 1 plot far from parthenorcarpic and put monoecious + gynecious, or predominant female flowering there. I make sure both have similar skin. And pack together in bags. So, there are very big and medium sizes fruits in each bag. That is a secret for extreme high yield.

You do not need 6 plots to make it.

You grow in experience on formulation of these synthetic chemicals.

Withdrawal Period is Essential
I hardly release info like this, but I just feel like. Please, do not abuse these chemicals. There are many in the list you should not spray when fruiting. Please, read instructions very well. If you find it hard to use, get an expert to formulate good combos and formulas based on your chosen cultivars.

It is around a week after sowing some tomato seeds which will yield average of 12 - 19kg. I saw two seeds already sprouting this morning. Pictures coming soon.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 4:59pm On May 26, 2019
How do you handle pruning on a plot of land?
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Jayfarms: 4:59pm On May 26, 2019
Pistotita:

Hahahaha Mr. Emeka my dearest vegetable friend. You are very right sir. But I am going to disappoint you that at this moment, I do not have. If I do, you will not see me on nairaland.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention
3 years ago, I had a tomato farm collapsed. Also, I teamed up with someone and had habanero on 1 ha destroyed. Habanero? I was devastated. Though, I later knew the reason. And lastly, I tried recovering with 1 ha cucumber farm, and fuel scarcity destroyed the farm when we started harvesting. I was ready to buy black market fuel, but could not get. 17 cans of Murano and Tokyo went into that farm. Over 15km drip. And come and see boys working. Around December. So, I just slowed down for a month. After, I went to Ibadan to meet an elderly friend, and he sat me down. He prayed with me. And we brainstormed together what could be the issues. Two areas we arrived at are: terrible workers, and bad neighbors. And the last area which I had to swallow my pride was me. I had my own short comings too.

Then, the elderly man got another farmer who came to talk with me. And after cross checking me, I realised that small plots garden can be profitable. This was my turning point. Being the person I am (very detailed), I decided to look for ways to achieve this. I did not stop at the man and the farmer, I checked colleagues who play with veggie as part time (cos they are the ones who do small plots) and I started getting tricks from them.

If you have been following me, I clearly wrote about my sales, and I clearly wrote about settlement of debts, etc. Is it a joke to send soil abroad? To get special seeds from seed banks when one is like $10. Lol. These are seeds breeders multiply, cross breed into hybrids. I was really testing many things. And I was running small plots of cucumber concurrently as living expenses and some other running costs.

Greediness is in the gene of Humans
By the time the prospect of my endeavor start showing to some of the people I was working with, their true nature started showing. And I am a careful person. My brother, when you are good with what you do, your first enemies are your friends, colleagues, and associates . "Na only him?" "Him dey too pompous". Bla bla bla. And workers issue na wahala. Even for the first period in my life, little investors i partnered with almost embarrassed me. I am being opened here, and I want people to learn from me.

Health is Wealth
And I was hit cos I strained myself too much. Bro, God saved me. It was after CT Scan that I got clear direction of what was wrong. But the signals had been there, and I neglected them.

1. For now, it is gardening near my house which is highly profitable. Will not invite premature death cos of millions from tomato during this period.

2. The day I decide to move into big a farm, it must be real commercial with my own farm machineries. It is a decision that I took. Never will I do useless 1 to 10 ha farm the way many do in south here. It must be a standard farm. So. If you expect me to have like 1 ha of farm and make 30 million naira bla bla bla cos of what I know, no way! I will wait till the financial aspect is settled (banks may be involved at that time). And I am ruling out partnership to start with. Life has no duplicate. The way people worship money is crazy. If I start narrating stories of close relatives that started burying charms to prevent me from entering a farm when harvest time was reached, I will not finish the story today.

People who knew me 3 years ago would tell you that anything less than 1 ha farm, I would not touch it then. But all has changed.

Not only Tomato
I am moving back to active service gradually. And I got this waste disposal site (LAWMA) compound that I tipped the security. Of course I will not disclose such location to anyone. In the city, close to me, and very convenient for me. Cucumber per kg is what I want to do there. Will start as soon as I complete arrangement with the guy and his boss. Not always tomato, zuchini is always profitable, cauliflower is there too. Purple egg plants too. But bro, I will not expand too much so that past mistakes do not occur.

My Team First
In order not to have previous experiences with workers, I traveled to the north some months ago to understudy 3 big vegetable farms (understudied human management). And I realised I have more to put in place. In Nigeria, owners have almost 100% control over everything even when they are absent. And if you know the way people go to juju makers just to tie people down to be loyal, hmmmmm. Wait until you gat a big project to do, then, you will realise how the thoughts of men are evil. Jeremiah said "My people are desperately wicked". But there are still plain guys. Many young brilliant chaps that are cut off pre maturely are not uncommon. Only if the victims had applied Godly wisdom.

Not only about farm skills
Success is more of adminstration. It is why I will never return as a farm director. My focus is bringing brains together to brainstorm and find solutions. Also, to be the bridge between workers and the board of any business. Of course I must be a member of the board, if not the chairman. There are many methods to solve challenges, not my methods only.

My bro, my dream is beyond N50 million naira sales every wet season. My dream is crazily, magnificently big. But for now let me concentrate on my mini plots. If I cannot enter tomato jackpot this year, next year is there. It has been there for many years. And it will be there for many years to come until power is settled in Nigeria.

I have many ideas. So, while I was on my sick bed, I just was thinking "will all these ideas just die with me if something happened?" Guy, if I share anything here, I have moved like 10 steps ahead. Greengo, Murano, Nagano, Cu999 are off my cucumber seeds list. Why not just help others doing it? Sure, money is still there. OK. How many can buy 1,000 cucumber seeds for N85,000? Lol. Let me write about them, anyone who can read should read. Anyone who wants to get wisdom, should. Why should I withold them when I am gone past them?

Again, I am beginning to look into doing my own mini poultry, rabbit, grass-cutter, and maybe goats. So, it is time to move to a place I can buy like 6 plots in the city. So, it means I must do odorless animal husbandry. Cos, big farms having organic section must practise animal husbandry.

Let me stop here. I am writing from my inner mind, and I can pour out Psalms, proverbs, Eccl and Songs here. Not Epistles only. Let me just stop. I am doing it gradually, systematically, accurately, with the pace satisfactory to me.

Wow! I have been quietly following your threads for a while now, that is, under your previous pen name and the new one. I am new to the agricultural sector and have been trying to test the depth of my interest. I arrived at Agribusiness via a roundabout way. But your direct and forthright manner has both scared and encouraged me�. When I say scared, you are in good company here! A few of my friends who have previously dabbled into farming also told warned me off in no uncertain terms! But your openness about your struggles is very much appreciated and highly respected. I am a very private and introverted person and even now I am not sure I can be as open as you have been on such a public platform. But we need people like you to lead the way. I pray for you that the Almighty will restore you to full health so you can reap the fruits of your labour and so you can keep up the good work you do here. You are an inspiration.

3 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 26, 2019
FMCASH:
Good job sir, the lime you're talking about is it the normal limestone for chick or it's a special brand? Thanks!!!

Of course limestone will do the job. Also, Cacium Carbonate, Calcium Hydroxide will do it. But these are delicate options. Infact, all Calcium-whatever will do the job except Calcium Nitrate which does not adjust PH. If you know how to use each of them. Hydroponics users use Carbonate or Hydroxide, interchanged with Potassium Hydroxide to adjust PH. While hydroxide dissoves, carbonate does not.

But the best you should use is special Agric lime. It is derived from limestone with primary active ingredient as carbonate. A search on google gave this definition:
Agricultural lime, also called aglime, agricultural limestone, garden lime or liming, is a soil additive made from pulverized limestone or chalk. The primary active component is calcium carbonate

Go to any Federal Agro-Service (not sure of the name if it is correct the way I have written it) in your state and get subsidized fertilizer and chemicals. AgLime is like N1,500 or so for 50kg. The cheapest I have come across. NPK 15 15 15 will soon be banned (I wrote about it in one of my posts, and how I support Audu Ogbeh on this move), so, they have NPK 20 10 10 which is around N5,500 for 50kg in a green bag. Urea is subsidized by some State governments and sold there too. And there are numerous chemicals you will get there. But do not expect to get the powerful and most recent ones. It's been long I used these products since most of my set up recently are hydroponics. Good luck on that.

FMCASH:
How do you handle pruning on a plot of land?

Tomato
Determinate: I do not prune at all. What I do is just remove bottom leaves if they are touching ground or touching mulch. Also, I remove yellow leaves. That's all. My determinates are special cultivars. My population on 1 acre is always 3,000 to 5,000. So, they are cultivars that spread and gets so big. Instead of fertilizing 10,000 crops on an acre (most cultivars are 10,000 per acre). Just imagine how much I save on fertilizer. Staking is cheap. Horizontal style . Harvest for 2 months. Very heavy!

Semi Determinate: I make my stakes Vertical and Horizontal. No pruning too. Harvest for 4 months. Heavy too. But 2 batches = 4mths of my determinates yield more than one of 4 mthe semi determinate

Indeterminate: Staking is vertical. Pruning is 2 to 3 stems. All lateral branches (suckers removed). And I practise lowering of stems. Same as Capsicum.

Cucumber
Monoecious: Very heavy fruits. I keep one stem, remove 4 lateral branches (suckers) from bottom, and from the fifth up, I leave just one node one each lateral, and I cut off the tip so that growth stops there. If the loads are getting too heavy and I notice fruit abortion, I remove some upper lateral branches completely till its balanced again. When they reach the top of my stake which usually is around 2m high from ground level, I allow it blow out without pruning anymore. If early cultivar and I notice the stems aren't as robust as I want, I remove 2 to 4 female flowers from the bottom. Enzymes help a lot.

Pre-dominant Female: Same as monoecious, except I leave 2 - 4 nodes on the lateral branches. It depends on the sizes of the fruits, and flower abortion rate. Enzymes help in all cultivars to prevent abortion of flowers which is super yield.

Gynecious: Same as pre dominant female

Parthenorcarpic: Same as above, except I do not allow it to blow out if under greenhouse. I lower it like tomato gently. If difficult, I allow blow out. I keep up to 5 or 6 laterals nodes if supplying groceries that want tiny fruits. If the nodes give more than 2 fruits, I may limit the nodes to 2 or 3 too. The idea is that I watch fruit abortion and control the number of leaves and fruits accordingly. I may step up or step down. It comes with experience. It is why the margin of yield is always wide when I am on farm and I handled it personally. My ex workers used to shout in amazement. But I don't shout or blame them if they do not get it accurately. I used to manage them. But they used to improve when they see action live. Cos, it sounds meaningless to spend hours removing fruits and leaves , and spraying different organic enzymes after spraying fungicides and pesticides. But when I am free, and I do it with them, and they see the result, hahahaha...their brains are fine tuned immediately. Funny that they usually tell me after 3 months that "oga, a wan own my farm after this contract expires". And I usually say, fine. Guys don calculate that they can do 1/2 plot that they can handle on their own and make meaningful money. Most are doing fine with Nigerian wives. And eventually, I just assist them get citizenship and passports. So, I have them around me when I need help. I am saying this cos when you do good, you will see the reward. But at the same time, theft is in their blood. So, bearing that in mind, I do not want them again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29)

How Cows Are Offloaded From Vehicles, It Takes Wisdom To Do That / World’s Most Expensive Sheep Auctions At £367,500 / SNAKE FARM ? {pic} :-\

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 309
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.