Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,009 members, 7,821,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant (59963 Views)

How True Is The Myth About This Plant And What's The English Name / What's The Best Crop To Plant And Have Maximum Output On A 3 Plots Of Land? / Castor Plant And Castor Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Go Down)

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 11:12pm On Jul 06, 2019
olugbengaomotay:

@Pistotita I think your inference and interpretations are not particularly correct and you are fairly harsh on the fellow and i think i align with the other person that said you need to apologise to him

I follow most of your writings and i was particularly impressed by the way you resolved the lesgup cassava issue and the way you managed the maize issue when someone was upset with your use of word "speculation" Most at times we misinterpret intentions and we have a strong feelings we've gotten the interpretations right

You spoke about the beauty in cropping watermelon but you never bandied any figure. Long before your comment, i ran some analysis while trying to figure a way of making agriculture more profitable. I came up with numbers. I said one way to improve profitability is to grow vertical crops that are traditionally grown horizontally. I went further to say that distance between rows is 75cm and with vertical planting you can use 50cm within crops and with that spacing you get a plant population of 26,000 per hectare and if you assume a farm gate price of N300.00 for a big ball of watermelon assuming two fruits per vine, you will be looking at a revenue of N15.6m

Long before now while looking for land to farm, I contacted alpha2k somewhere around ofada. It was in the month of April and i saw big balls of watermelon all over the place. It was amazing to me because at that time rain was yet to be fully established. I later got to know that it is a common occurrence in that axis especially in the federal government farm estates around that area

The practise is to plant watermelon latest by the second week in February. We had three rains in January and about two rains in February and that is sufficient from what i learnt. So when this gentleman started planting his own in April, i was eagerly awaiting the technology to be deployed But when someone asked about the watermelon, quite unlike him he parried the question, another person, he did the same then i knew things must have gone haywire

Anyone that is involved in marketing knows about customer's profiling. The space is enough for everyone. You are a precision hi-tech millennium agroprenuer, in my opinion, he is a low end affordable agroprenuer - the space is enough for everyone - What works for one might not necessarily work for another so its not right referring to him as bush farmer in as much as bush farming pays his bills

I have seen a number of e -book on watermelon millionaire and you can not say with absolute certainty that he is referring to you The only thing am uncomfortable with is his sweeping statement that watermelon can not work

Thanks

I never said that melon will not work,just that intending farmers will be more careful and presice when planning towards it,after all my novice farm friend harvested almost 1000 balls and sold ₦ 450 wholesale farmgate from his small farm,what is importa nt is to share ideas on how best to make it work,I know I am not a Hi-Tech farmer but sometimes low key solutions is needed to solve a primitive and localized problem,so far the 3 major problems we had in our melon farm was(1)manual weeding caused mysterious plant death and wilting,(2) irrigation on leaves caused massive yellowing of leafs and plant die offs(3) animals simply love the balls and one nibble the fruit is spoilt,this are 3 major problems that we encountered so for 1 and 2,I think pre emergence herbicides and drip irrigation will sort that out,but no3 is an issue no seed co or consultants will even think about, until you plant in an area with high density of squrriels,rats, grasscutters, porcupines,antelops,etc,my friend got the solution by default in planting high crop density and getting a lush impetratable green wall,we are also planning to do melon again after we finish with our pepper transplant,but this time it will be in sacks,with good irrigation and staked,I am a farmer and any ideas that can help us to improve is always welcome.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by excanny: 12:12am On Jul 07, 2019
okoroemeka:
I never said that melon will not work,just that intending farmers will be more careful and presice when planning towards it,after all my novice farm friend harvested almost 1000 balls and sold ₦ 450 wholesale farmgate from his small farm,what is importa nt is to share ideas on how best to make it work,I know I am not a Hi-Tech farmer but sometimes low key solutions is needed to solve a primitive and localized problem,so far the 3 major problems we had in our melon farm was(1)manual weeding caused mysterious plant death and wilting,(2) irrigation on leaves caused massive yellowing of leafs and plant die offs(3) animals simply love the balls and one nibble the fruit is spoilt,this are 3 major problems that we encountered so for 1 and 2,I think pre emergence herbicides and drip irrigation will sort that out,but no3 is an issue no seed co or consultants will even think about, until you plant in an area with high density of squrriels,rats, grasscutters, porcupines,antelops,etc,my friend got the solution by default in planting high crop density and getting a lush impetratable green wall,we are also planning to do melon again after we finish with our pepper transplant,but this time it will be in sacks,with good irrigation and staked,I am a farmer and any ideas that can help us to improve is always welcome.

Nice one, Jasper. This is exactly what you said.

How it was misconstrued into something else is still an anathema to me.

I really admire your composure when it's understandable if you had reacted angrily.

I've seen many people call "watermelon" Ogbanje. There's always an iota of truth in a general rumour.

So your caution is in line.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 12:27am On Jul 07, 2019
To be candid watermelon its more technical to cucumber.
excanny:

I really admire your composure when it's understandable if you had reacted angrily.

I've seen many people call "watermelon" Ogbanje. There's always an iota of truth in a general rumour.

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 07, 2019
Has the person told anyone that the efarmer comment was not directed at me because that should be the first to address since it is the bone of contention? And I believe he has made comment.

Modified:
From page 9 down to page 13, there are attacks from chemicals farmers and consultants who even engaged hackers to attack me. So, I wish to leave this thread as it is for now. They teach very annoying agro-practice which can spread cholera, and many infectious diseasses. I had to slam many of them to back off. Many of them are even c.urs.ed for killing innocent consumers of their chemical products. They are already cu.rs.ed without adding more to it.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:22am On Jul 07, 2019
FMCASH:
To be candid watermelon its more technical to cucumber.
My brother, it is not that technical. I will address it very soon. And you will see it clearly. I have been burnt by it too just like cucumber, but I sat down and asked myself several questions. And boom! I got it right. If I share the concepts, you may be tempted to abandon cucumber. Infact, it's golden melon I prefer cos I like solving problems. It's not like some things are hard, but copying here and there is the issue.

CLUE: Have you ever cultivated Cucumber "Akito" from Technisem? Anyone who has done it successfully can cultivate watermelon successfuly, and vice versa. I dived into pathenocarpic from Akito. Till date Akito gives reasonable profit to those who understand it. Yet many who can handle Murano always call it "ogbanje".

But there is a slogan for cucumber, it is a backbone killer and very tough if staked. It is the Ogbanje of some other farmers too. Be it murano, nagano, porano, nesono, magnarano, raskimono, or whatever. lol.

I always deal with facts and not general saying. General saying are myths. Pure reasoning to solve challenges is what I do during pilots because I try to predict what I am going to face on farm, and just get ready. And if I cannot solve it, I don't do it. Like I said, I do not have solution yet to using efficiently those workers presently available around. While many are forcing it, I withdrew to my drawing board to find solution. Fortunately, the solution was to downsize which I love so much.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 07, 2019
excanny:

How did you really know if he directed the phrase to me or not? Were you really in his thought?

My advice to you is this: Do not jump to conclusion speedily. And I am trying to comprehend your line of reasoning to affirmatively say that his caution was in line. Do you really understand watermelon? And you boldly wrote in your opening statement that his recent words arrangement were what he said. Do not put yourself in trouble sir. Cos you are not in someone's head, you don't know his thought, but you are defending him affirmatively.

Please, let the person defend himself by saying he was addressing me or not. Stop being his mouth piece sir.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 07, 2019
olugbengaomotay:
@Pistotita I think your inference and interpretations are not particularly correct and you are fairly harsh on the fellow and i think i align with the other person that said you need to apologise to him

I follow most of your writings and i was particularly impressed by the way you resolved the lesgup cassava issue and the way you managed the maize issue when someone was upset with your use of word "speculation" Most at times we misinterpret intentions and we have a strong feelings we've gotten the interpretations right

You spoke about the beauty in cropping watermelon but you never bandied any figure. Long before your comment, i ran some analysis while trying to figure a way of making agriculture more profitable. I came up with numbers. I said one way to improve profitability is to grow vertical crops that are traditionally grown horizontally. I went further to say that distance between rows is 75cm and with vertical planting you can use 50cm within crops and with that spacing you get a plant population of 26,000 per hectare and if you assume a farm gate price of N300.00 for a big ball of watermelon assuming two fruits per vine, you will be looking at a revenue of N15.6m

Long before now while looking for land to farm, I contacted alpha2k somewhere around ofada. It was in the month of April and i saw big balls of watermelon all over the place. It was amazing to me because at that time rain was yet to be fully established. I later got to know that it is a common occurrence in that axis especially in the federal government farm estates around that area

The practise is to plant watermelon latest by the second week in February. We had three rains in January and about two rains in February and that is sufficient from what i learnt. So when this gentleman started planting his own in April, i was eagerly awaiting the technology to be deployed But when someone asked about the watermelon, quite unlike him he parried the question, another person, he did the same then i knew things must have gone haywire

Anyone that is involved in marketing knows about customers' profiling. The space is enough for everyone. You are a precision hi-tech millennium agroprenuer, in my opinion, he is a low end affordable agroprenuer - the space is enough for everyone - What works for one might not necessarily work for another so its not right referring to him as bush farmer in as much as bush farming pays his bills

I have seen a number of e -book on watermelon millionaire and you can not say with absolute certainty that he is referring to you The only thing am uncomfortable with is his sweeping statement that watermelon can not work

Thanks

I agree with some of your points, but I also disagree with some issues you raised. I appreciate your tone of message, but very soon you will understand my personality better. Kindly be patient. And with watermelon, I love how the discussion is making progress because debates reveal different views and dimensions. Perhaps, some other person can support my ideas about it after I share what I discovered about it.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 1:50am On Jul 07, 2019
Good
I've not cultivated watermelon in dry season. My two production was raining season.
We all face challenges but in different dimensions. The problem I countered its differ from what okoroemek encountered.
I intentionally tried it during raining season because I heard its had to cultivate during that season. I got reasonably yield from my second production.
But for people like me that farm on a small land, water melon profit does not worth its on small piece of land if not staked. 200m² of cucumber farm can give you 50k even when sold at 2000# per bag. But watermelon you hardly see 10k.
Farming its game of number.
When I've chance I will look for variety of baby watermelon that will do well on staking.

I also have few golden melon I am currently experimenting.

Please do you have any recipe I can use to trap melon flies. They are causing more nuisance to my crops.
Pistotita:

My brother, it is not that technical. I will address it very soon. And you will see it clearly. I have been burnt by it too just like cucumber, but I sat down and asked myself several questions. And boom! I got it right. If I share the concepts, you may be tempted to abandon cucumber. Infact, it's golden melon I prefer cos I like solving problems. It's not like some things are hard, but copying here and there is the issue.

CLUE: Have you ever cultivated Cucumber "Akito" from Technisem? Anyone who has done it successfully can cultivate watermelon successfuly, and vice versa. I dived into pathenocarpic from Akito. Till date Akito gives reasonable profit to those who understand it. Yet many who can handle Murano always call it "ogbanje".

But there is a slogan for cucumber, it is a backbone killer and very tough if staked. It is the Ogbanje of some other farmers too. Be it murano, nagano, porano, nesono, magnarano, raskimono, or whatever. lol.

I always deal with facts and not general saying. General saying are myths. Pure reasoning to solve challenges is what I do during pilots because I try to predict what I am going to face on farm, and just get ready. And if I cannot solve it, I don't do it. Like I said, I do not have solution yet to using efficiently those workers presently available around. While many are forcing it, I withdrew to my drawing board to find solution. Fortunately, the solution was to downsize which I love so much.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by okoroemeka(m): 7:20am On Jul 07, 2019
my dear pistols,it's obvious to everyone that there are things you know that cannot be learnt by simply reading E-books,it was learnt the hard way,the farmers way,it's is just impossible for you to be an E-farmer,I don't think you are one and I am not referring to you,I am throwing caution to intending farmers that believe people like PD that says he will plant 24,000 cucumbers in 3 plots(8,000 crops in 1 plots)and then after sucking in many mugus as possible he sold E-books to them @₦3000 and they paid ₦7,000 for a hastly organized seminar.that is an example of an E-farmer that planted 200 crops in his backyard and suddenly becomes an agricultural consultant,for the records I have not said or will say that watermelon cannot be done or be profitable,I am only advising intending farmers not to believe everything they read and to do more in depth research before sinking hard-earned money on any white elephant project,but seriously cucumbers are something else,I am yet to see a crop that can generate ₦100k+ in 60 days from half plot of land at ₦3000-2500 a bag.,even cannabis don't come close.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by excanny: 4:00pm On Jul 07, 2019
okoroemeka:
my dear pistols,it's obvious to everyone that there are things you know that cannot be learnt by simply reading E-books,it was learnt the hard way,the farmers way,it's is just impossible for you to be an E-farmer,I don't think you are one and I am not referring to you,I am throwing caution to intending farmers that believe people like PD that says he will plant 24,000 cucumbers in 3 plots(8,000 crops in 1 plots)and then after sucking in many mugus as possible he sold E-books to them @₦3000 and they paid ₦7,000 for a hastly organized seminar.that is an example of an E-farmer that planted 200 crops in his backyard and suddenly becomes an agricultural consultant,for the records I have not said or will say that watermelon cannot be done or be profitable,I am only advising intending farmers not to believe everything they read and to do more in depth research before sinking hard-earned money on any white elephant project,but seriously cucumbers are something else,I am yet to see a crop that can generate ₦100k+ in 60 days from half plot of land at ₦3000-2500 a bag.,even cannabis don't come close.

Really? Are cukes this bae? I thought my dear cannabis was king and the coolest invention after sliced bread. grin

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 07, 2019
Thanks to the people who were not biased, but neutral in the issue. I appreciate you all.

My Mission
To improve the standard of Agric in Nigeria using Nairaland as a case study. Too many investors and new comers are discouraged with what they read on nairaland. They want to join the agric train, but are discouraged with what they read here. I know because I get feedbacks.

The minors are always bullied on nairaland
For example ladies are bu.llied so much here that before they say anything, they are Olo.sho. And then, the network of bullying is so strong that they just crawl inside their shells. A lady told me she intentionally did not use the "f" gender idenfication to prevent men from bu.llying her. And it's normal to these people.

Same with me, I belong to the minor group who believe in setting up well. Therefore, I can be easily bullied with "pride", "showoff", "you get the money go do am", "There is space for us all", etc.

Bullying build up gradually from tantrums
I was "shaded" like three times by the said person but will not go into that again. Ordinarily, I don't respond to shades because I am good in it too. But when the shades are beginning to build into bullying, that is when I don't take the non.sense. All these people telling me to apologize or that I am harsh, did they tell the two people who "shaded" me even before the efarmer word was used? Some guys started gaining the confidence to face me directly even before the efarmer statement. And then, the efarmer statement came in. Was there anyone selling ebooks in the thread? Let us think deep. So, the inspiration for the post just dropped from heaven. Any link at all?

Then after, another gained more confidence to start schooling me maturity because I defended myself. The main issue with him was that he felt intimidated with $13,500 (N5million naira) statement I made. And demanded me to apologize like I am his kid at home. You can advise me, but never again school me. When you talk to me politely, you will get good words from me. But try bullying me at your own risk. Why did he not address the use.less one who asked himself (not me) to return to his lab where he belongs? Did he not read that? Anyway let that boy stay in his bush forever and continue struggling there. Yes, I was harsh. And that was needed to address the bullying which was beginning to build up. Next time, before you use that on me to shade me, you will think twice. And if you don't like my epistle, then clear off my threads, or skip my posts. My style is my style. Afterall, there is enough space to accept us.You choose to give robotic instructions, I choose to discuss. Why do you want to bully me?

I am happy I pulled up to the occasion to protect my mission. They want to easily tag me with efarmer so that when I talk it becomes meaningless. My Mission to assist farmers, and show the world that we are not too poor from changing to better ways of farming could have been jeopardized.

Dispute Resolution
If you do not know how to settle dispute by staying neutral, keep to your lane. Never come online to school anyone maturity or decency. Stay neutral if you want to settle issues, that's maturity. Listen to the two sides before you judge. And never be the mouth piece of any of the parties involved no matter how things look like.

I am going to stop here, never to revisit the issue again.

Thank you all and Blessings!

3 Likes

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 07, 2019
FMCASH:
Good
I've not cultivated watermelon in dry season. My two production was raining season.
We all face challenges but in different dimensions. The problem I countered its differ from what okoroemek encountered.
I intentionally tried it during raining season because I heard its had to cultivate during that season. I got reasonably yield from my second production.
But for people like me that farm on a small land, water melon profit does not worth its on small piece of land if not staked. 200m² of cucumber farm can give you 50k even when sold at 2000# per bag. But watermelon you hardly see 10k.
When I've chance I will look for variety of baby watermelon that will do well on staking.

I also have few golden melon I am currently experimenting.

Please do you have any recipe I can use to trap melon flies. They are causing more nuisance to my crops.

I will have to write a detailed post to address the water melon issues, and I am going to use 200sqm as the example. I will pull out some figures too. I just hope nairaland spam bot will not frown at the figures thinking they are spams.

It is true that the general believe is that watermelon should be cultivated in rainy season, and I will try to show why it's a myth in my opinion.

Trapping flies can be hard in rainy season because rain destroys gums on the traps. It is why golden melon is more difficult than watermelon. But Okra has got pests issues too. The best way out is via pesticides. No one can easily survive open field golden melon with organic items. Though, new techniques might be out there. And when using pesticides you must spray the exact active ingredient that is good for the pest disturbing your melon at that particular time. There are different pests and if you keep spraying same thing, they quickly develop resistant. So, you must have a means to trap insects on your farm. Before you spray, you check the trap to know the kind of pests there so you can choose what to spray. At times, I have 6 to 10 different active ingredients when doing cauliflower. And I may spray an ingredient just only one time for the whole cycle. Some I spray at the start because I know they stay for a longer period in the system of plants. And I know ehen to stop and spray no more. If you go via this route, you will be able to eradicate them easily. When I first started, internet was my consultant. I checked the insects, read about them, and fired them fast. I went to market multiple times to buy more and more ingredients. As time goes on, started predicting what is coming up and no need to check everytime. Though, I wish to even tell you what to use, but with golden melon it is just too hard. The pests are so technical to deal with if one wants to follow the spraying rules very well. Perhaps my method will work for you.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by unknownsouls14: 12:12am On Jul 08, 2019
Hi Pistotita,

I hate to be a nuisance but can I have a chat with you off the thread since my question is not directly related to the discussion. I joined nairaland to send a request, I am certain you receive hundreds of such, but hopefully, you can spare me a minute of your time.

Kind regards,
Ade
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 08, 2019
unknownsouls14:
Hi Pistotita,

I hate to be a nuisance but can I have a chat with you off the thread since my question is not directly related to the discussion. I joined nairaland to send a request, I am certain you receive hundreds of such, but hopefully, you can spare me a minute of your time.

Kind regards,
Ade

Already responded to your request. I do not discriminate who I talk to. As long as I have the time, I talk to people Lol...I get such requests daily. Too many brains in nairaland. At times, I will brainstorm to the extent I just run away from them all...only to wake up the next days and so many issues to tackle. But it's fine. We will all be successful by God's grace. Also, many who want to learn too. Likewise I learn everytime.

Everyone is free to contact me

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by bosagro23: 11:48am On Jul 08, 2019
Op what is your take on sack farming where land is scarce. How much treated soil to a bag of Cement? Which crop would you advise one plants using this system? I've started practising all I've read here so far on a very small scale improvising some things because of capital. Thanks for dishing out expensive information all the time.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2019
bosagro23:
Op what is your take on sack farming where land is scarce. How much treated soil to a bag of Cement? Which crop would you advise one plants using this system? I've started practising all I've read here so far on a very small scale improvising some things because of capital. Thanks for dishing out expensive information all the time.

I am about publishing the watermelon post before I saw yours. Let me quickly respond.

My take on sack farming
I use it only when I want to use sterilized soil, or when troubling shooting pathogens in soil.

Quantity of treated soil to a bag of cement
It's good that you used the adjective treated to qualify soil. So, you are on the right path. However, I don't use cement bags and I cannot answer that. For improvisation, I started with Walmart's grocery bags, but may not be readily available here. You may want to Google that. The most appropriate is to use perforated plastics where air can get inside the roots from all angles. Yeah! I remember, Pavore9 shared Kenyans turning net shades to vegetable containers. You may want to check his profile and look at topics on vegetables ideas he has shared. I saw that when I was researching possible improvised methods for Nigerians. I don't use poly and cement bags for this reason. Another reason is that cement bags dont last.

In hydroponics buckets, air is supplied into buckets, and naturally in the soil, air reaches roots. In fact, my internet engineer nairaland friend decided to go for aeroponics when we discussed about the necessity of air and the right root temperature for plants. Will discuss more about roots someday. When you know the concept, ideas will flow. I suggest you take samples by yourself to know the quantity. Fill about 5 bags, measure the weight the bags separately, and take average weight. Or you may count the number of shovels in a bag so you know what it will take you to pack what is enough. I suggest you pack 10% more.

Which crop I advise you to grow
It depends on your location and the market there; I would look into long term crops which means you should be looking at vines and indeterminates. Neither do I expect you to grow any determinate tomatoes in them, nor grow lettuce horizontally. But lettuce again can be grown in vertical dimension. Please check Pavore9. He's got good stuff on his threads. If you go by method, you should grow any crop with soil disease problems in it as long as it's worth the stress of sterilizing it, but be ready to spend twice on nutrients you use if using conventional style, except you are recirculating via hydroponics. Above all, let market determine what you do.

Concerning improvisation, I do it too. But I always use what is worth it. Poly seems ok, but does not qualify for me based on these reasons. Bags used for packing cucumber looks a bit fair if I can make it to the size I want. Instead of mulch, you may consider using those cucumber bags as carpet for your soil bags to prevent direct contact with the soil. The most important issue is that you understand the concept and think of good substitutes.
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Seedforthagro1: 5:15pm On Jul 08, 2019
Quality and durable twines available! Call to place your order. Delivery is nationwide

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 08, 2019
Watermelon on 200sqm (less than dividing 1 plot of land into 3 parts, and using just one part)

I will be making references to tomato and cucumber, since they are the focus of this thread. However, this post has golden melon issues too.

I do not know all, but from my observation:

1. Farmers allow their plants crawl so larger expanse of land is needed to get good harvest. "Much more" larger expanse of land area is needed since I estimated about 40 - 70% yield loss due to flower abortion and fruit damage due to negative impacts caused by rain, pests, rodents, diseases, etc . But at the end of the day, some farmers still perfected their methods. Note: they sow 2 seeds in each hole per 1sqm - 2 sqm spacing.

2. Since a very big large area is needed for watermelon for most farmers, irrigation is not easy and cheap. Therefore, it makes sense that it must be cultivated at this time for these set of farmers.

3. Dry season has got more viral diseases caused by pests for most crops, exceptions are golden melon, okra, cauliflower, and brocolli (there maybe more), which are notori.ously affected during all seasons. On the other hand, rainy season farming hurdles are fighting fungi and bacterial infection. When you understand this, you know how to approach your farm. It's why most dry season tomato cultivars have resistance to whiteflies and fruitflies. But if you just allow your crops to be inflicted with too much damages, they will not survive with even good cultivars.

4. It seems it is hard to develop wilt resistant watermelon cultivars. Also, mildews resisted ones are so scarce. From my observation, hybrid focuses more on higher brix level and giant balls. So imagine what farmers who cultivate it during heavy rainy season face. Still many farmers found their ways to make it profitable even on large land.

olugbengaomotay:

5. Watermelon looks very tough to produce in rainy season because fungi and bacteria thrives with high humiity. And they are attacked in dry season by terrible pests which causes viral diseases. So, I agree with the option of cultivating it in February immediately after rain as there will not be too much rain that will kill the plants. But I don't have that kind of mind relying only on rain. I must install drip, or the land must be lightly swamp area. Most likely land near river. I give it to farmers who do it. And I have met so many successful watermelon farmers. Watermelon is tougher than cucumber because it can tolerate drought better just like the post in quote mentioned, but cucumber is tougher on the other hand because there are more diseases resistant cultivars . Therefore, they need different approaches.

And it's true, farmers use less insecticides during rainy season, but more in dry. While they use less fungicide in dry sesson, but more in rainy. If a farmer cannot think in this direction, he is already a failure. Cos some people spray the same thing continuously every time.

Insects are easy to control if you can learn about them
Every good farmer must sit down to learn about insects. What kind of pests are troubling your crops? You must use your Internet to study them. It's hard for any other farmer to teach a new comer. The new comer just must be on farm to know these insects. If anyone studies this subject very well, he will realise that importation is inevitable. Some items are scarce. But I still give it to those kind of farmers @olugbengaomotay talked about.

FMCASH:

Perhaps, it is not still profitable for you probably because you have not yet treated it like cucumber on your small farm. Someone sat down, thought deeply, and brought out the cucumber staking approach. The only difference with watermelon is that they realised the weight of melon will destroy the stakes, and it was an impossible mission for them.

Can we play with numbers here?
For everything I stake, my standard is 1km per 667sqm which is the standard plot 60ft × 30ft. This is a figure every modern farmer should put in his head. So, I agree with you that farming is a game of number. Using ratio and estimation, I know that I need approximately 300m drip length to cover your 200 sqm land. Depending on my agropractice, climatic condition, and personal preference (financial aspect included), I can choose 30cm, 40cm, or 50cm emitter spacing.

The average skilled farmer should lose maximum of 50% watermelon balls due to mainly flower abortion, and very few destroyed fruits. For Christ sake, your farm can easily be safeguarded against most pests using barriers, and against some other pests using chemicals. How did some farmers come up with dealing with poor seed germination due to pest invasion on the field?

Using 2 balls per vine, with 50% fruits losses @N150 per ball:
30cm emitters --> 1,000 vines --> N150,000 sales
40cm emitters --> 750 vines ---> N122,500
50cm emitters --> 600 vines ---> N90,000
Any farmer who cannot get the above with staked watermelon should return to his drawing board.

There is nothing that says a farmer should not get minimum 3 fruits from a seedless which can produce 5 fruits.
This farmer treats his soil very well against wilt (if you can grow Akito cucumber from Technisem, Watermelon is no problem). 200sqm is very easy to treat excellently. I can bombard it with microbes innoculated manure which will fight most wilts in the soil. It's mainly bacteria wilt that is very stubborn which can resist such treatment. Does this not sound like tomato? This farmer stepped up his game to market vigorously and got N450 price per ball. He is so sure of himself because he did his pilot well; therefore he is ready to install a stake which can carry 765kg for every 5m (All my calculations are precised based on arithmetic and I can show anyone the details if he cares, I do reasonable and realistic forecast). Therefore, this farmer could make smart decisions. Let Market and figures influence your decision, stop guessing. Let's look at the sales I expect from this 90% efficient farmer expects in 75 to 90 days:

30cm emitters --> 1,000 vines --> N1,215,000 sales
40cm emitters --> 750 vines ---> N911,250
50cm emitters --> 600 vines ---> N729,000

Let me compare with @olugbengaomotay using 50cm emitters for 1 hectare using the multiplier figure: 50. That's almost 40 million naira sales. If the farmer decides to make it have more ventilation because of rainy season by reducing population by 50%, it's 20 million naira sales. But the questions is: can the farmer have the mind to use such investment on open field watermelon like this. I wouldn't do this during rainy season. "My mind no carry am cos of glut". But I may try max of 1 acres in batches during dry season when I am sure of getting N450 per ball. Market tells me how to do it.

This kind of farmer will be motivated to find N400-N500/kg cucumber market, and cultivate more products with high valued prices so that he can rotate. Market tells me what to produce.

Please if you doubt my figures, we can test run it here for all to see as long as you can fund it and provide all necessary resources including human.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 4:31am On Jul 11, 2019
Cucumber is not, and will not be the most profitable crop
The rate nairaland farmers are promoting cucumber scares me. But everything which goes up must come down. I predict that in max of 2 years, it will normalize. Normally, cucumber is more expensive in rainy season if things are ok, but the ovation is too loud. During rainy sesson I used to sell extreme curved and yellow fruits too because cucumber is always very expensive, and those ladies making salads in take-away plastics usually go for them at discounted price. For the fact that farmers have accepted using drip (actually, it took many so long, but when they realised watery cans and hose cannot do the job, they accepted it. The question is that are these farmers not the same farmers who complained they could not afford drip? Where did the cash come out from? Perhaps from heaven), it shows I always say the truth. That truth will soon find y.ou out.

Every crop has got over 85% chances if survival on a virgin land (I wrote virgin and not a rested land). There can be a second good cycle. But from the third, it is over. Therefore, good farmers practise crop rotation. Why should you have 1 acre and put cucumber on the whole 1 acre? Except it's a leased land you don't want to use again after max of 1 year.

These yoruba farmers are new set. And reality will land on them very soon. It has happened before, and as a good analyst, I have been telling my fellow farmers to quit cucumber temporarily. Or better they put their minds into learning veggie farming, and not cucumber farming.

Their farms will soon be destroyed with pests.
Many of them will not be able to cope with the cucumber fast pace and it's rigorous work.

Cucumber is fast, but can you do 1 acre to 1 ha beds, dress them, bla bla bla 4 times a year that you turn yourself to only cucumber farmer? Before you say any word, cucumber is the holiest, and "fast fast fast fast". Be smart. If you do not have workers, and you cannot cope with the pace, it's not for you. Medium term crops with gradual and consistent sales at the end of the day are more profitable which is the plan of most readers in this section.

Must you land in hospital because of fast money? You need to consult more. Please, do not take my words like that, but go out and meet farmers to hear the other story about cucumber.

Mark my words, these farmers will not rest until they destroy cucumber market in Nigeria. This is the typical Nigerian man way. Once they get tricks to achieve little success in anytjing, they must crash it because everyone rushes into it. Like they would have crushed me if I had allowed it. Lol. If I tell you what workers are doing, and how they mess up farms, you will be extra careful. Cucumber is just a "too much task demanding" crop. Can you be on farm to monitor workers like kindergartens 24/7? Please, disregard this post if you are in the north, or the youths in the community your farm is located are into farming.

If you prune very well, and you feed the plants very well, I expect you to make 1,000 bags from 1 acre. I am not criticising anyone, but telling you the fact. However, that money you get from that 300 - 1,000 bags, if you do not rest, it will rest you very soon. If it is easy as promoted, many will never move to other crops and would have stayed with cucumber. Why will I want to divert into any other area if cucumber can do it like how it is promoted? But just think well.

And after 2 years, the whole ovation will die down cos spectators will be crushed out by then. And real farmers can return to it again. New set of spectators will rush in again afterward, they will come into it, and then, crash out, on and on the cycle goes. LOL..Farmers quickly use them to make cash. Hehehhe. This is the cycle. I looked at the whole stuff recently and I decided to stay away permanently from slicing cucumbers production for open markets. Many farmers are like me too. I promoted cucumber too. In fact, people said I am one of the people who made too many people rushed into it some years back because I gave out too many tips. LoL. Even the person criticising me that I should give him robotic instructions pointed to a very good lesson he learned from my posts. All is well. A child who appreciated the little gift of yesterday will receive another today. No be so? The man who knows how to use soft words will receive "much more". I believe I am not wrong. And if I am with these elderly words of wisdom, kindly correct me.

In all, we give God the glory. Be a veggie farmer, and not just a cucumber farmer. To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed.

More bountiful harvest to all farmers in this section. Amen!

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by FMCASH(m): 7:27am On Jul 11, 2019
Cucumber its lucrative but not the best. Cost of production will take 30 to 50%. There are some untold story's but people success. Don't rush in so you won't rush out.
Pistotita:
The rate nairaland farmers are promoting cucumber scares me. But everything which goes up must come down. I predict that in max of 2 years, it will normalize. Normally, cucumber is more expensive in rainy season if things are ok, but the ovation is too loud. During rainy sesson I used to sell extreme curved and yellow fruits too because cucumber is always very expensive, and those ladies making salads in take-away plastics usually go for them at discounted price. For the fact that farmers have accepted using drip (actually, it took many so long, but when they realised watery cans and hose cannot do the job, they accepted it. The question is that are these farmers not the same farmers who complained they could not afford drip? Where did the cash come out from? Perhaps heaven), it shows I always say the truth. That truth will soon find uou out.

Every crop you do has got over 85% chances if survival on a virgin land (I wrote virgin and not a rested land). There can be a second good harvest. But from the third, it us over. Therefore, good farners practise crop rotation. Why should you have 1 acre and put cucumber on the whole 1 acre? Except it's a leased land you font want to use sgain after max of 1 year.

These yoruba farmers are new set. And reality will land on them very soon. It has happened before, and as a good analyst, I tell my fellow farmers to quit cucumber temporarily. Or better they put their minds into learning veggie farming and not cucumber farming.

Many of them will not be able to cope with cucumber pace and it's rigorous work.

Cucumber is fast, but can you do 1 acre to 1 ha beds, dress them, bla bla bla 4 times a year that you turn yourself to only cucumber farmer? Before you say anyword, cucumber is the holiest, and "fast fast fast fast". Be smart. If you do not have workers, and you cannot cope with the pace, it's not for you. Medium term crops with gradual and consistent sales at the end of the day are more profitable which is the plan of most readers in this section.

Must you land in hospital because of fast money? You need to consult more. Please, do not take my words like that, but go out and meet farmers to hear the other story about cucumber.

Mark my words, these farmers will not rest until they destroy cucumber market in Nigeria. This is the typical Nigerian man way. Once they get tricks to achieve little success in anytjing, they must crash it because everyone rushes into it. Like they would have crushed me if I had allowed it. Lol. If I tell you what workers are doing, and how they mess up farms, you will be extra careful. Cucumber is just a "too much task demanding" crop. Can you be on farm to monitor workers like kindergartens 24/7? Please, disregard this post if you are in the north, or there the youth in the community your farm is located are into farming.

If you prune very well, and you feed the plants very well, I expect you to make 1,000 bags from 1 acre. I am not criticising anyone, but telling you the fact. However, that money you get from that 300 - 1,000 bags, if you do not rest, it will rest you very soon. If it is easy as promoted, many will never move to other crops and just stay with cucumber. Why will I want to divert into any other area if cucumber can do it like how it is promoted? But just think well.

And after 2 years, the whole ovation will die down cos spectators will be crushed out by then. And real farmers can return to it again. New set of spectators will rish in again, they will come into it, and then, crash out, on and on. LOL..Farmers quickly use them to make cash. Hehehhe. This is the cycle. I looked at the whole stuff recently and I decided to stay away permanently from slicing cucumbers. Many farmers are like me too. I promoted cucumber too. In fact, people said I am one of the people who made too many people rush into it because I gave out too much tips. LoL. Even the person critiquing me that I should give him robotic instruction pointed to a very good lesson he learned. All is well. A child who appreciated the little gift of yesterday will receive another today. No be so? The man who knows how to use soft words will receive "much more". I believe I am not wrong. And if I am with these elderly words of wisdom, kindly correct me.

In all, we give God the glory. Be a veggie farmer, and not just a cucumber farmer. To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed.

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Seedforthagro1: 11:09am On Jul 11, 2019
Habaneros belong to the same Capsicum family of chili peppers. Habanero peppers are the hottest of all commercially grown chili peppers, making them a favorite of spicy dishes.

Habaneros boast more benefits than intense heat, however. They contain a high concentration of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and the compound capsaicin. Diets rich in the nutrients provided by habanero peppers may help prevent the development of a number of potentially serious medical conditions. If you suffer from digestive system problems like chronic heartburn or irritable bowel syndrome, talk to your doctor before eating habaneros.

Plant Loleza RZ today! Place your order today as limited stocks are available

Contact 09024561835 or 07038927273 for more information.
You can also visit www.seedforthagro.com or mail info@seedforthagro.com

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Wizs2019: 11:09am On Jul 11, 2019
Pistotita:
The rate nairaland farmers are promoting cucumber scares me. But everything which goes up must come down. I predict that in max of 2 years, it will normalize. Normally, cucumber is more expensive in rainy season if things are ok, but the ovation is too loud. During rainy sesson I used to sell extreme curved and yellow fruits too because cucumber is always very expensive, and those ladies making salads in take-away plastics usually go for them at discounted price. For the fact that farmers have accepted using drip (actually, it took many so long, but when they realised watery cans and hose cannot do the job, they accepted it. The question is that are these farmers not the same farmers who complained they could not afford drip? Where did the cash come out from? Perhaps heaven), it shows I always say the truth. That truth will soon find uou out.

Every crop you do has got over 85% chances if survival on a virgin land (I wrote virgin and not a rested land). There can be a second good harvest. But from the third, it us over. Therefore, good farners practise crop rotation. Why should you have 1 acre and put cucumber on the whole 1 acre? Except it's a leased land you font want to use sgain after max of 1 year.

These yoruba farmers are new set. And reality will land on them very soon. It has happened before, and as a good analyst, I tell my fellow farmers to quit cucumber temporarily. Or better they put their minds into learning veggie farming and not cucumber farming.

Many of them will not be able to cope with cucumber pace and it's rigorous work.

Cucumber is fast, but can you do 1 acre to 1 ha beds, dress them, bla bla bla 4 times a year that you turn yourself to only cucumber farmer? Before you say anyword, cucumber is the holiest, and "fast fast fast fast". Be smart. If you do not have workers, and you cannot cope with the pace, it's not for you. Medium term crops with gradual and consistent sales at the end of the day are more profitable which is the plan of most readers in this section.

Mark my words, these farmers will not rest until they destroy cucumber market in Nigeria. This is the typical Nigerian man way. Once they get tricks to achieve little success in anytjing, they must crash it because everyone rushes into it. Like they would have crushed me if I had allowed it. Lol. If I tell you what workers are doing, and how they mess up farms, you will be extra careful. Cucumber is just a "too much task demanding" crop. Can you be on farm to monitor workers like kindergartens 24/7? Please, disregard this post if you are in the north, or there the youth in the community your farm is located are into farming.

If you prune very well, and you feed the plants very well, I expect you to make 1,000 bags from 1 acre. I am not criticising anyone, but telling you the fact. However, that money you get from that 300 - 1,000 bags, if you do not rest, it will rest you very soon. If it is easy as promoted, many will never move to other crops and just stay with cucumber. Why will I want to divert into any other area if cucumber can do it like how it is promoted? But just think well.

And after 2 years, the whole ovation will die down cos spectators will be crushed out by then. And real farmers can return to it again. New set of spectators will rish in again, they will come into it, and then, crash out, on and on. LOL..Farmers quickly use them to make cash. Hehehhe. This is the cycle. I looked at the whole stuff recently and I decided to stay away permanently from slicing cucumbers. Many farmers are like me too. I promoted cucumber too. In fact, people said I am one of the people who made too many people rush into it because I gave out too much tips. LoL. Even the person critiquing me that I should give him robotic instruction pointed to a very good lesson he learned. All is well. A child who appreciated the little gift of yesterday will receive another today. No be so? The man who knows how to use soft words will receive "much more". I believe I am not wrong. And if I am with these elderly words of wisdom, kindly correct me.

Oga Pistotita, The analysis is spot on! And I agree with your conclusions. I was looking through my notes from 2 years ago and some of the markets that alternatives to Mile 12 and giving great prices are no longer viable, why? because the market is too saturated with the same crop. Even in Mile 12 the prices fluctuate a lot more now than before.

I remember my first question on Nairaland was about crop rotation and recommendation of cultivars, but only one person responded (many thanks to that gentleman!). I am currently harvesting my cucumber plants on a one acre planting area, I have got 401 bags so far with a project total harvest of 500 bags. I will tell you now that the harvest is only Okay because when I do the sums it works out has 4-5 fruits per plant which is not fantastic. A good harvest would be 650 to 700 bags, and a great harvest would be 800 bags plus. I know what I need to work on, for example using plant growth substance Ethephon to promote more female flowers on monoecious cultivar such as CU999, to bring the harvest up. As you have said cucumber is just one crop but with it short maturity period it can guarantee a steady income almost every months. So what do I do? I split my farm into sections and rotate where I plant cucumber. If I plant cucumber on section A, after harvest I will plant tomatoes on Section A and cucumber again on section B then after that, I will chillies on Section A, Tomatoes on Section B and Cucumber on Section C. After this, a year and half on more would have past on the farm therefore I can plant cucumber (or maybe melon this time) on Section A again. All of this need planning and resources but if you can achieve this you will be able to constantly make money while protecting your land from building up harmful bacteria/viruses.

But my brother, what I don't like is your shade throwing and lack of mutual respect. You are not in minority, we farmers are the minority. I am of the school is preparing well at the start and not cutting corner because it ultimately affect your harvest. For planting cucumber on one acre, I will tell you to get an okay result you need to spend about 500k (workers and all), include setup cost of 350k to 400k, you are looking at a start-up cost of about 900k. But I will guarantee that you will get your money back and a few hundred k in one season if done right. Me saying you should be concise (Dictionary meaning of the word is 'giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive') is that you should give us maximum knowledge with minimal effort. No malice intended. What I would love is if we can share ideas openly, not be critical of anyone's effort and help people interested and understanding modern concepts. I would rather write about fertiliser formulation and soilless media composition etc. than anything else. So please everyone (@Okoroemeka, @Pistotita, @Wizs2019 and everyone!) (olive branch) no more shade throwing and negative comments.

Let the sharing begin! Images might be useful for some people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Cocoboms(m): 11:25am On Jul 11, 2019
Using Ethephon on cucumbers is very risky to a farmer. It's known to promote fruit ripening and abscission (dropping of leaves and fruits). So I don't know how it can be beneficial to potentially increase flowering. If you had mentioned foliar application of synthetic cytokines and natural brassinolides, I'd have agreed with you on d flowering improvement. But ethephon shocked

Wizs2019:

Oga Pistotita, The analysis is spot on! And I agree with your conclusions. I was looking through my notes from 2 years ago and some of the markets that alternatives to Mile 12 and giving great prices are no longer viable, why? because the market is too saturated with the same crop. Even in Mile 12 the prices fluctuate a lot more now than before.

I remember my first question on Nairaland was about crop rotation and recommendation of cultivars, but only one person responded (many thanks to that gentleman!). I am currently harvesting my cucumber plants on a one acre planting area, I have got 401 bags so far with a project total harvest of 500 bags. I will tell you now that the harvest is only Okay because when I do the sums it works out has 4-5 fruits per plant which is not fantastic. A good harvest would be 650 to 700 bags, and a great harvest would be 800 bags plus. I know what I need to work on, for example using plant growth substance Ethephon to promote more female flowers on monoecious cultivar such as CU999, to bring the harvest up. As you have said cucumber is just one crop but with it short maturity period it can guarantee a steady income almost every months. So what do I do? I split my farm into sections and rotate where I plant cucumber. If I plant cucumber on section A, after harvest I will plant tomatoes on Section A and cucumber again on section B then after that, I will chillies on Section A, Tomatoes on Section B and Cucumber on Section C. After this, a year and half on more would have past on the farm therefore I can plant cucumber (or maybe melon this time) on Section A again. All of this need planning and resources but if you can achieve this you will be able to constantly make money while protecting your land from building up harmful bacteria/viruses.

But my brother, what I don't like is your shade throwing and lack of mutual respect. You are not in minority, we farmers are the minority. I am of the school is preparing well at the start and not cutting corner because it ultimately affect your harvest. For planting cucumber on one acre, I will tell you to get an okay result you need to spend about 500k (workers and all), include setup cost of 350k to 400k, you are looking at a start-up cost of about 900k. But I will guarantee that you will get your money back and a few hundred k in one season if done right. Me saying you should be concise (Dictionary meaning of the word is 'giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive') is that you should give us maximum knowledge with minimal effort. No malice intended. What I would love is if we can share ideas openly, not be critical of anyone's effort and help people interested and understanding modern concepts. I would rather write about fertiliser formulation and soilless media composition etc. than anything else. So please everyone (@Okoroemeka, @Pistotita, @Wizs2019 and everyone!) (olive branch) no more shade throwing and negative comments.

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Wizs2019: 11:45am On Jul 11, 2019
Cocoboms:
Using Ethephon on cucumbers is very risky to a farmer. It's known to promote fruit ripening and abscission (dropping of leaves and fruits). So I don't know how it can be beneficial to potentially increase flowering. If you had mentioned foliar application of synthetic cytokines and natural brassinolides, I'd have agreed with you on d flowering improvement. But ethephon shocked

I want to try it. Has anyone on the thread used it previously.

https://www.plantgrowthhormones.com/info/application-of-plant-growth-regulator-in-cucum-26799936.html

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311666384_SEX_MODIFICATION_IN_CUCUMBER_CUCUMIS_SATIVUS_L_UNDER_THE_INFLUENCE_OF_ETHEPHON_AND_MALEIC_HYDRAZIDE
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Cocoboms(m): 11:51am On Jul 11, 2019
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 11, 2019
Wizs2019:

But my brother, what I don't like is your shade throwing and lack of mutual respect. You are not in minority, we farmers are the minority. I am of the school is preparing well at the start and not cutting corner because it ultimately affect your harvest. For planting cucumber on one acre, I will tell you to get an okay result you need to spend about 500k (workers and all), include setup cost of 350k to 400k, you are looking at a start-up cost of about 900k. But I will guarantee that you will get your money back and a few hundred k in one season if done right. Me saying you should be concise (Dictionary meaning of the word is 'giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive') is that you should give us maximum knowledge with minimal effort. No malice intended. What I would love is if we can share ideas openly, not be critical of anyone's effort and help people interested and understanding modern concepts. I would rather write about fertiliser formulation and soilless media composition etc. than anything else. So please everyone (@Okoroe.meka, @Pistotita, @Wizs2019 and everyone!) (olive branch) no more shade throwing and negative comments.

There are chemicals I can list out here, and you might be turned back if you are lucky. If unlucky, you will be arrested on the spot if you don't go with good refferal. And I cannot list such here. No matter how we hide here, if DSS wants to search you out they will. It is why I don't do it. I have said it many times. I must know the person very well. Or if I know the person's ability of handling some powerful stuff, I don't hold back. For what? What I have is enough to feed me. Is it anyone's domain that will entice me?

Organic is better to discuss freely online
I am ready to pull out 100% organic styles and secrets, but no one is ready for such here. No one is ready here. Organic is mix farming. That's it, and one must combine different crops and animals. Is it the farners who are mono crop focused that will listen? I do not mind 50 - 50 (organic - inorganic). But the culture of prescribing chemicals online is 100% wrong. Perhaps, we have a section where the general public and only registered farmers that nairaland have verified have access to such section, then, we can share deep secrets. No control on nairaland.

For example, I cried fast when I saw people prescribing active ingredient used for diabetic patients. And I know that stuff stay in the crop for 3 months or more. If you use such chemicals, I know a brand made from it says produce must be dried corn, so that the crop stays longer to wash away the chemicals from the system of the plants completely before harvesting. Also, there are expensive ones in natural form that wash away very strong chemicals fom plants' system which farmers must use like a week after using very strong chemicals. But farmers will ignore using them. There are some chemicals you guys mentioned recently which are regarded as steriods which only professionals should handle. Nigeria is just a bad nation. And the company bringing in some of these stuff is known to produce fake products. If you want to know, just ask any good farmer the brand such good farmer will never use. You will get the answer very fast. But Nigeria is not checking it at all. You cannot find these active ingredients being mentioned in public forums in abroad. I know the implications, and that is why I am shouting hard. I have seen too much. Anyone who wants to go deep and have access to these stuff should go and get license from the Ministry of Agric. Is it the farmers here who cannot buy drip you tell to go take some license? "A beg bro", don't put me in trouble.

You guys should do charity more
I am a cheerful giver, and I know it is a gift. People do not give naturally. But I love giving. My brother, if you call my cautioning shades, sorry for that. But you never talked to me privately. Have you? And if I don't want to give it out even here, it means I must know the standard of the person, and his personality. I don't need to meet anyone but I know how to evaluate everyone after a period of time. When you go out to hospitals and you visit the Oncology section, you will do more than me. When you see real pain. Go talk to anyone undergoing Chemo Therapy, and then you too will get my points. It is bad. Cancer is the worst pain inflicted on human. It is terrible, and the pain cannot be expressed. The treatment is even more painful. It is not cancer that pulls hair off the head, but the harsh, powerful and highly potent chemicals used for chemo..It is bad. The worst pain on any one. It is in the same category with torturing one by ripping off nails from someone. You know how is psinful, chemo is in the same category..When they say someone beats cancer, haaaaaaa! The person went to the bottom of hell, and returned. So, saying cancer relapse or whatever is not what should happen to anyone. And you just start hearing the patient telling loved ones to just pray for him/her to pass away smoothly. Even those in last stage don't feel the pain of cancer treatment cos they are relieved with pain killers till they pass away smoothly.

You want to bet how much I have learned from people? "Pistotita, have you heard about bla bla bla ba? No oooo. The guy laughed. You can't know all. And he gave me papers to read. I was shocked with the evidences I saw there. Afrerwards, he said, no go blow this one on top nairaland ooooo." Lol. That is to tell you how much info I dish out.

I know I am one of the people who blew cucumber here in details. The first was Jasper7. The guy tore cucumber into pieces by encouraging all, but before him, I saw just few people esp seed sellers flexing muscles here. Then, training people came afterwards. Not saying anyone should not sell or train (I do it too), but I know I give out info, and my conscience is clear. But chemicals and advance stuff, I will not give out publicly until I know the person very well.

I have written about how I was talking to someone and he was the one who told me that ONSA banned common urea at a time. LoL. What are we saying?

How did farmers and traders know about the deadly chemical cancer giver they use to ripen fruits? How did warehouse owners start using deadly chemicals to preserve beans and other grains to the extent our beans was rejected IN Europe one time? There are chemicals I will tell you to use, and ask you leave the house for good 2 days and like a week for full precaution. Everything living in that house will die before you return. I mean every damn thing. If a single human soul spend time there and breath in the air.....hahaha..the person is gone too. That's the kind of chemical some people use to control rats in their warehouses, and they wrap it in huge number of clothes to reduce its potency. What a risky activity.

There was a year people died when they ate mango and garri together. And the rumour was don't eat mango and garrri. Lol. But the truth was that deadly poison were used to ripen or preserve the mangos.

Far from me to write about steriods, chemicals, and nutrients used by professionals on forum that I know local farmers use the prescription here. You can imagine, you prescribe to a farmer here, and he returns to ask you how many grams per knapsack? WTH (What The Heck is that?). Releasing chemical into the hands of someone who cannot read and follow instructions on the products?

If you read my words well, you definitely will know what I hid in my words. Someone said my words are light unto his path as they are always crystal clear to anyone who can think deeply, or who really is a farmer. My words point you to where to go, what to do, and how to do them. My words are not empty words. Just like how the spectator who has never been to open market to know about prices of cucumber will find them all mystery, but you decoded them fast, is the way good and observing farmers easily decode my words. Crystal clear to those who have been looking for the path to follow.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by dedons: 1:35pm On Jul 11, 2019
Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 12, 2019
I am going to repeat it again clearly. The main secret to high yield is excellent soil preparation and basal nutrients application. Avoid too much usage of chemicals, leave out cell elongation and multiplication chemicals. Some individuals are totally deaf. Permanently deaf. The farmer is at greater risk of contacting cancer using cell manipulation techniques. Leave out dangerous chemicals. Even with them, you cannot get good yield. Prepare your soil very well.

Avoid abusing Ridomil Gold. Have you not noticed that using it continously or weekly stop working? Take note of it. Redforce, Blueboat, etc are in the sane category. You are only reducing your yield abusing these chemicals. Just try what I have written here. Stop abusing Ridomil Gold, and the rest.

Use only compost. Learn how to compost your manure. Using one handful manure per hole or per plant is silly. It's better you use none. I repeat, bombard your land with compost. Spread manure on your beds like you are using them as mulch..I repeat, bombard your land with high organic matters and nutrients. Minimum for 1 acre is 10 tons (400 25-kg bags). I use around 30tons which is 1,200 25-bags. I try to make permanent beds so that I don't add frequently. But I am going to open an animal section if I decide to go into open field again. From my experience, the misconception that poultry is the holiest manure has made poultry farmers to sell manure, so I go for pig manure. Yeah...poultry has good nutrients because the feed chickens eat are specially formulated with nutrients. But at the same time, antibiotics are there, and bacteria too..So, make sure you compost any manure. You will get good result with pig manure too. Infact, rabbit manure is the best. As a gardener, just get some rabbits and use both poo and urine.

Please, I need volunteers for tomato and cucumber to knock out these chemical people. I need people who are opened to using safe methods to obtain high yield. I will give you special nutrients at a very reduced cost. I just want to shut up these chemical people once and for all. They are really annoying me because they will not stop being dem.ons unless we shut them up.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Wizs2019: 10:54am On Jul 12, 2019
Pistotita:
I am going to repeat it again clearly. The main secret to high yield is excellent soil preparation and basal nutrients application. Avoid too much usage of chemicals, leave out cell elongation and multiplication chemicals. Some individuals are totally deaf. Permanently deaf. The farmer is at greater risk of contacting cancer using cell manipulation techniques. Leave out dangerous chemicals. Even with them, you cannot get good yield. Prepare your soil very well.

Avoid abusing Ridomil Gold. Have you not noticed that using it continously or weekly stop working? Take note of it. Redforce, Blueboat, etc are in the sane category. You are only reducing your yield abusing these chemicals. Just try what I have written here. Stop abusing Ridomil Gold, and the rest.

Use only compost. Learn how to compost your manure. Using one handful manure per hole or per plant is silly. It's better you use none. I repeat, bombard your land with compost. Spread manure on your beds like you are using them as mulch..I repeat, bombard your land with high organic matters and nutrients. Minimum for 1 acre is 10 tons (400 25-kg bags). I use around 30tons which is 1,200 25-bags. I try to make permanent beds so that I don't add frequently. But I am going to open an animal section if I decide to go into open field again. From my experience, the misconception that poultry is the holiest manure has made poultry farmers to sell manure, so I go for pig manure. Yeah...poultry has good nutrients because the feed chickens eat are specially formulated with nutrients. But at the same time, antibiotics are there, and bacteria too..So, make sure you compost any manure. You will get good result with pig manure too. Infact, rabbit manure is the best. As a gardener, just get some rabbits and use both poo and urine.

Please, I need volunteers for tomato and cucumber to knock out these chemical people. I need people who are opened to using safe methods to obtain high yield. I will give you special nutrients at a very reduced cost. I just want to shut up these chemical people once and for all. They are really annoying me because they will not stop being dem.ons unless we shut them up.

Hi Pistotita, I think you need to be careful and differentiate between fertilisers and chemicals. One of the biggest problem I think we are facing in farming is that most people think fertilisers=NPK. There are many fertilisers which you can use for crops which are far better than using just NPK. The root cause of the use of NPK is that most people don't know how to formulate the fertiliser they need for their crops. For my current cucumber crops I used; Manure, SSP and NPK for pre-plant application, and Potassium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulphate and NPK for fertigation. What we need to help people understand is that, 1) every crop has their unique nutrient requirements and 2) the way to use different fertilisers to achieve the requirements. Using the right fertilisers would increase your yield and help the plants be better able to fight off infection and resist stress. Note, there are some fertiliser which are used for bombs (Ammonium Nitrate for example), I personal do not use this ones and I would advice against their use because of the danger attached to them. Overuse of fertiliser is also very bad, it seriously damages your land, crops and ultimately your pocket.

Now to the other biggest problem which you touched on, OVERUSE of chemicals. When I say chemicals I mean, Herbicides, Fungicides and Pesticides. All the products we are using have attached guidance notes instructing on, When to use, How much to use, How many times in a season to use, Minimum days to fruiting before use, How many days between applications etc. But the instruction are ignored. All this chemicals are toxic to humans, animals, the land and the plants also. When you talk about cancer, I have personal experience as one of parents had it but thank God for early detection and good doctors. We all have a responsibility to ensure we are safely using the chemicals available to us.

Conclusion, Controlled use of Fertiliser and chemicals is good, overuse of any thing is very bad.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2019
Wizs2019:

Hi Pistotita, I think you need to be careful and differentiate between fertilisers and chemicals. One of the biggest problem I think we are facing in farming is that most people think fertilisers=NPK. There are many fertilisers which you can use for crops which are far better than using NPK. The root cause of the use of NPK is that most people don't know how to formulate the fertiliser need for their crops. For my current cucumber crop I used; Manure, SSP and NPK for pre-plant application, and Potassium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulphate and NPK for fertigation. What we need to help people understand is that everyone crop has their nutrient requirements and how to use different fertilisers to achieve the requirements. using the right fertiliser would increase you yield and help the plant be better able to fight off infection and resist stress. I personal do you use this ones and I would advice against their use because of the danger attached to them. Overuse of fertiliser is also very bad, it seriously damages your land, crops and ultimately your pocket.

Now to the other biggest problem which you touch on, OVERUSE of chemicals. When I say chemicals I mean, Herbicides, Fungicides and Pesticides. All the products we are using have attached guidance notes instructing on, When to use, How much to use, How many times in a season to use, Minimum days to fruiting before use, How many days between applications etc. But the instruction are ignored. All this chemicals are toxic to humans, animals, the land and the plants also. When you talk about cancer, I have personal experience as one of parents had it but thank God for early detection and good doctors. We all have a responsibility to ensure we are safely using the chemicals available to us.

Conclusion, Controlled use Fertiliser and of chemicals good, overuse of any thing is very bad.

Peace.

Are you not the one who addressed me in that group that talk is cheap. I have been very polite with you, but it seems you want to push out chemicals from my mouth. I will not still make comments on anything you feel is used for bomb cos you are just trying to make me spit words out, but I am not someone that can be pushed. I discuss details with people privately, and not recklessly on public forum. I wrote details about fertlizer here in this thread. Someone asked me about them, and not only did I write the names but gave recipe on how to use them with vegetables and Maize.

My words are clear enough. I don't discuss cells elongation and multiplication publicly. And I don't discuss chemicals publicly too. Both are cancer. Cancer is uncontrollable growth. Experts who use them are trained on precautions, and it's why some papers are not released for public consumption. Like I said, Ridomil Gold is an example of total chemical abuse. Using it weekly is wrong. Diseases develop resistant to it fast, and the next step for the farmer is to find something stronger. But if the farmer follows the rules, he will have no problem so that more potent ones are not needed. Crop rotation is important too.

Oga, try to focus on bombarding your soil with manure. Learn prunning very well (at least to the top of your stake and thenafter, let them blowout) And use fertilizer the way you know. You will hit 1,000 bags I assure you. I like the fertilizer image you shared, but how many people can still translate the image? Like you said, formulation is the challenge. And that's where arithmetic and basic chemistry come in. Are you not confirming what I have been writing? How many farmers are interested in learning formulation? You may be interested in it like I was, but I chilled out during my time. Do you think Israeli take Africans serious? They look at us like dummy. lol. And I always exercise patience until they trust me enough.

I was asking the main man Hazera attached to Africa why it's only old seeds in Nigeria. The guy thought he was talking to a "mumu", and was trying to send me to one guy like that, and I told him that I don't need that. It was another Israeli who read our conversation who quickly wrote me and put a call across. And he told me their challenges in Nigeria. In short, he said advance countries do not use seeds again, they use seedlings. And Kenya is picking up, but Nigeria is terribly backward. We agreed to collaborate, but where are the Nigerians who are ready to pick these new techniques? They want new techniques but do not want to spend. Who takes such people serious.

It kills the spirit when one wants to introduce non chemical techniques but just because it's not as cheap as chemicals people don't pay attention. When I see a farmer who bombards his farm with manure, I pay more attention. It's why vegetable farms should not be inside bush where lorries cannot drive into. How will the farmer move tons of manure to the farm? Such farmer is only willing to spend money in moving out harvests. But many think I am insulting them. I have farmed where only bike can enter, and takes 40 mins journey on the bike. Just narrow path only a bike can take at a time. So, you can imagine how rampant collision of two bikes along the path. If the bike is without "horn", it's a no for me. And I would make sure the guy blew his horn heavily. I didn't mind paying extra. Also, I have been to flooded areas. These are psychological issues that weaken farmers. I do not mean to insult anyone, but let farmers remove all these challenges first, use more manure for soil preparation, and see how progressive they will be.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29)

5-Star Luxurious Ram & Goat Barn With AC & DSTV (Photos, Video) / price-list for all day old birds in Ibadan / 5 Ways to Eliminate Wall Geckos In Your Home/ Office. No 2 Will Shock You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 310
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.