Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:39 PM

Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos (19426 Views)

David Hundeyin Accuses Tinubu Of Submitting Fake Certificate To INEC (Photos) / Copy And Paste’ — Dele Momodu Accuses Tinubu Of Repackaging Abiola’s Manifesto / Allen Onyema: MASSOB Accuses Buhari Led-Government Of Persecution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by Stingman: 9:14am On May 11, 2019
QuotaSystem:

The difference is that they don't insult the Queen or Londoners like Igbos do to the Oba/Lagosians and other Nigerians they live among. They don't call London no man's land or call Britain a zoo either.

Big difference.

Did they call Lagos a no man's land in the 60's when Awolowo introduced ethnic tribalism? What difference was it then? Yorubas contest and win elections in UK and other places, an nobody told them to go back to their country to vote. Recently Igbo won elections in UK and Canada as well. Nobody asked them to go home. The thing is that most of you irrational people must find a thing to hang on an animal just to ensure it was hanged.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by PeachtreeReside(f): 9:34am On May 11, 2019
tobiasbeecher:

Shut up, you are worse than the people you are accusing you bitter ethnic bigot!

The vile you just poured out , May it not consume you!!!!

Truth hurts hence your rude , crass response
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by QuotaSystem: 9:41am On May 11, 2019
Stingman:

What of Miyetti Allah, an Hausa/Fulani group that have gone more than insulting all Nigerians, by killing them in thousands and destroying their communities. Could you imagine what you would have done or say if Miyetti Allah was IPOB? Nigeria has massive problem because different people with distinct cultural values and aspirations are lumped together by force...Lugard didn't consult the people before the different groups were merged together in 1914.

Stingman:

Did they call Lagos a no man's land in the 60's when Awolowo introduced ethnic tribalism? What difference was it then? Yorubas contest and win elections in UK and other places, an nobody told them to go back to their country to vote. Recently Igbo won elections in UK and Canada as well. Nobody asked them to go home. The thing is that most of you irrational people must find a thing to hang on an animal just to ensure it was hanged.

The decision to keep holding a 50 year old grudge is totally yours. I'm sure it's been of great benefit so far.

I thought you could dispute my point about the clear difference between Igbos in Lagos & other Yorubas in London.

Bye.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by Stingman: 9:50am On May 11, 2019
QuotaSystem:

The decision to keep holding a 50 year old grudge is totally yours. I'm sure it's been of great benefit so far.

I thought you could dispute my point about the clear difference between Igbos in Lagos & other Yorubas in London.

Bye.

My friend this is no grudge. The point I am trying to make is that the history of exclusion, the history of tribal politics is still there today, as we speak. You have no point as the Igbos and Yorubas win elections in London and elsewhere. The point I wanted to emphasize is that calling Lagos a no man's land is not the reason for the tribal marginalization and exclusion, but historical. You can read my comment again.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by QuotaSystem: 9:58am On May 11, 2019
Stingman:

My friend this is no grudge. The point I am trying to make is that the history of exclusion, the history of tribal politics is still there today, as we speak. You have no point as the Igbos and Yorubas win elections in London and elsewhere. The point I wanted to emphasize is that calling Lagos a no man's land is not the reason for the tribal marginalization and exclusion, but historical. You can read my comment again.

Stingman:

Did they call Lagos a no man's land in the 60's when Awolowo introduced ethnic tribalism? What difference was it then?

You traced your issues back to Awolowo in the 50's so yes, that was a grudge you presented not me.

Winning elections in those places actually buttresses my point as they are able to do so there because they behave themselves abroad. Let Igbos/IPOB start consistently calling London no man's land, or call Britain a zoo on several media like they do in Nigeria and see if any Igbo man smells the ballot in those places ever again.

You cannot insult, deride or deliberately provoke your hosts and live in peace with them. Anywhere. QED.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by bluke(m): 10:06am On May 11, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
Sell the properties, go and use the money to develop biafra. Stop shouting and stop developing other peoples region.

no one go buy,
they ship or cargo their houses
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by Stingman: 10:12am On May 11, 2019
QuotaSystem:

You traced your issues back to Awolowo in the 50's so yes, that was a grudge you presented not me.

Winning elections in those places actually buttresses my point as they are able to do so there because they behave themselves abroad. Let Igbos/IPOB start consistently calling London no man's land, or call Britain a zoo on several media like they do in Nigeria and see if any Igbo man smells the ballot in those places ever again.

You cannot insult, deride or deliberately provoke your hosts and live in peace with them. Anywhere. QED.

You still find this thing too difficult to understand. Are you saying that Igbos started losing elections in Lagos because they provoke their host? When did this provocation start? You are just being smart by half or plainly mischievous. The truth is the historical fact...an not any grudge.

I also see that you skipped the part of Miyetti Allan and Ipob. Is that also a grudge?
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by QuotaSystem: 10:57am On May 11, 2019
Stingman:

You still find this thing too difficult to understand. Are you saying that Igbos started losing elections in Lagos because they provoke their host? When did this provocation start? You are just being smart by half or plainly mischievous. The truth is the historical fact...an not any grudge.

I also see that you skipped the part of Miyetti Allan and Ipob. Is that also a grudge?

You're finally starting to get it. Exactly why they're fast losing political relevance in Lagos and around the country.

I chose to avoid the twin demons because two wrongs don't make a right.

That said, it's the East/IPOB that currently seeks political power & relevance, so they should be the last to provoke/insult other Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by teddyalba(m): 3:19pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:
when you guys make comments like this I laugh so hard.when or where els have you seen an Igbo man making derogatory comments against yoruba except on nairaland where both tribes have turned against themselves. I haven't hard or read about both tribes battling themselves,infact igbos have endured and shown restraints many times against Yoruba onslaught such as the destruction and looting of igbo shops and businesses in the middle of the night in oshodi when they were away during Christmas celebrations,this act was supported by the state government. 2.locking up of trade fare without due process.3 Harassment of igbos during and after the last elections, some were beaten while others had their businesses destroyed by rampaging Yoruba youths.4.Deportation of igbos unlawful by the former governor,in the face of these illegal activities igbos have shown restraints. Remember that Lagos state is not a country but a state among the 36 states of the federal republic where all Nigerians have equal rights regardless of tribe, religion or political affiliation. The constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria guarantees equal human rights for all Nigerians.If you people want to yorubanize Lagos and ban others from accessing it then you guys should head to the national assembly to do that but perpetrating wickedness against other tribes while yours are working in the oil companies located elsewhere, most of the staff of Lagos based companies working in other states are Yoruba no one treats you people harshly but you have started something that is likely to cause trouble in Nigeria and when the flames begin you wil blame others and take cover under the agbada of the north.

Try to get ur facts right. The ibos have constantly cast aspersions on the personalities of Yoruba leaders, kings, culture and traditions. It started getting worse after the 2015 elections. You are entitled to some rights and privileges under the constitution no doubt but the way of life of your hosts must be respected. Wether a state or country the affinities shared by the groups inhabiting it must be honored. Do you guys asked why ibos is the target everywhere?

The first Nigerian to ever insulted the sensibilities of all indigenous Lagosians was an ibo man named Wachukwu Jaja with the claim that Lagos my ancestral homeland was a no man's land.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by teddyalba(m): 3:36pm On May 11, 2019
Stingman:

What of Miyetti Allah, an Hausa/Fulani group that have gone more than insulting all Nigerians, by killing them in thousands and destroying their communities. Could you imagine what you would have done or say if Miyetti Allah was IPOB? Nigeria has massive problem because different people with distinct cultural values and aspirations are lumped together by force...Lugard didn't consult the people before the different groups were merged together in 1914.

Miyetti Allah continue to take shelter in their own enclave which is the north. They often displayed their insanity and cowardice by coming to attack people when their victims least expected. I'm a muslim and hate barbarism in all form and by Allah's injunction a place is reserved for them in hell fire.

It is Allah's commandment that let there be no compulsion in religion Quran 2:256. These men are ethnic bigots whose level of intolerance for others drove them to murderous frenzy.

With the ibos its different. You can live peace with the Yorubas who may not really care the name you call God if only you decide to be a part of the community in the Yoruba way while not losing your identity.

Maybe most of you guys dont know that the first mosque in Nigeria was built in Yorubaland? And yet they dont go about killing others in the name of religion. Google is ur friend.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by teddyalba(m): 3:42pm On May 11, 2019
Stingman:

Awolowo rode on the sentiments of the time. It was a period of Yoruba renaissance and the people of yoruba descents were glad Awo took power from Zik cos we wouldnt have gotten all we had. It was a political strategy it need not destroy we the youth of later day cos all those men were long gone.

This is the time to retrace our steps and rebuild our institutions and never allow all the divisive forces to control nor rule us again.

The country could split but not with current state of hatred.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by googi: 4:05pm On May 11, 2019
What I get tired of is why this insults, fight, Yoruba didn't do this or did that always take place on or over YORUBA LAND.

Let us move the insults to the East or North. Americans say love it or leave it.

Yoruba has no Territorial ambition. It is others that cannot stop going to the WEST for prospects, alms and even medical treatments or exile from thugs in their villages.

Then they complain that they are not tolerated or accommodated. Point out they were to a fault in the past, they say they are sick and tired of hearing that.

Who started what grudge? The days of American Indians rescuing Columbus in the sea are gone.

Blame your villages that refused to create opportunities and turned you into raving stray dogs ravaging other cities and countries.

First in Africa in the WEST came with no help from any region. The moment the West ventured to turn the whole of Nigeria into West, Awolowo never recovered out of others spite.

Stay in your lane bro or live with us in peace. Stop nagging in the Western part of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by Bridget95(f): 4:15pm On May 11, 2019
teddyalba:

Try to get ur facts right. The ibos have constantly cast aspersions on the personalities of Yoruba leaders, kings, culture and traditions. It started getting worse after the 2015 elections. You are entitled to some rights and privileges under the constitution no doubt but the way of life of your hosts must be respected. Wether a state or country the affinities shared by the groups inhabiting it must be honored. Do you guys asked why ibos is the target everywhere?

The first Nigerian to ever insulted the sensibilities of all indigenous Lagosians was an ibo man named Wachukwu Jaja with the claim that Lagos my ancestral homeland was a no man's land.
You see how wicked you line of thought is?How is the outrance or opinion of Jaja be the collective outrance of everyone in the SE.For God's sake everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and it doesn't reflect the opinion of everyone so you must ascribe you statement to who made it.when the oba of Lagos made the outrageous infamous 'lagoon'statement no one ascribed it to the opinion of yorubas in general. Where have you seen or heard that igbos gathered to cast aspersions on your tribe?infact both tribes have lived closer than any ethnic group for years without clash except on nairaland.The famous no man's land statement have been echoed by many Nigerians for years hinged on the origin of Lagos as a land discovered by the Bini (maybe true or false )Your smear of campaign of malicious lies to put the igbos in bad light is dead on arrival long before now.
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by nku5: 4:26pm On May 11, 2019
teddyalba:

I never heard that Jaja Wachuku said this. Where's your source of this information? I dont think it's true

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by tobiasbeecher: 6:29pm On May 11, 2019
PeachtreeReside:

The vile you just poured out , May it not consume you!!!!

Truth hurts hence your rude , crass response
You're more bitter and vicious! Go back to your previous comments and see where you were attacking the Igbos and carefully left out your beloved Yoruba people. Bitter soul like you who only see the bad in others and overlook her own fault are why people call you guys chameleon and hypocrites. For you to open that your tiny mouth to say that Igbo parents teach their children hate shows how vile and disgusting you can be. Run along you bloody little hypocrite!
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by docsholz(m): 7:42pm On May 11, 2019
There's no discrimination happening in the west(Lagos included) that doesn't happen in the east or north, everybody is a hypocrite las las

2 Likes

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 8:47pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:
where is your sense? China is a country, Lagos is a state. you all Nigerians have equal rights there. So Nigerias should prostrate every morning to you before you will be satisfied baa? Go and drink brukutu.

Yes prostrate, China is a country but has many provinces which make sure things run smoothly. Just like the Yorubas keep things going here.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 8:59pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:
where is your sense? China is a country, Lagos is a state. you all Nigerians have equal rights there. So Nigerias should prostrate every morning to you before you will be satisfied baa? Go and drink brukutu.

Oga don't be deceived you only have equal rights among your people, you people should go to China or Isreal and declare it no man's land and see what happens
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 9:00pm On May 11, 2019
teddyalba:

Gbam. Let them know.
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 9:02pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:
You see how wicked you line of thought is?How is the outrance or opinion of Jaja be the collective outrance of everyone in the SE.For God's sake everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and it doesn't reflect the opinion of everyone so you must ascribe you statement to who made it.when the oba of Lagos made the outrageous infamous 'lagoon'statement no one ascribed it to the opinion of yorubas in general. Where have you seen or heard that igbos gathered to cast aspersions on your tribe?infact both tribes have lived closer than any ethnic group for years without clash except on nairaland.The famous no man's land statement have been echoed by many Nigerians for years hinged on the origin of Lagos as a land discovered by the Bini (maybe true or false )Your smear of campaign of malicious lies to put the igbos in bad light is dead on arrival long before now.

Lagos belongs to the Yorubas. Look up Erelu Kuti our gracious Royal.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 9:04pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:

Oga on a day to day I interact with many igbos and they all act like it's their father that built Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 9:05pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:

There are good igbos who act respectful but the rest just act entitled.
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 9:13pm On May 11, 2019
Bridget95:

The statement made by the Oba of Lagos was something that should not have been said out publicly, but the behavior of your people in his land pushed him to it. We want nothing more than for you guys to just respect your host, but that seems to be a problem for a lot of you.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by Bridget95(f): 10:03pm On May 11, 2019
leokid866:

The statement made by the Oba of Lagos was something that should not have been said out publicly, but the behavior of your people in his land pushed him to it. We want nothing more than for you guys to just respect your host, but that seems to be a problem for a lot of you.
How do you mean by respect your host?The last time I checked never have igbos collectively done anything to cause the preach of peace or do you mean that they should vote your preferred candidates because that is what the oba and Tinubu wanted but many of them didn't come out to vote because they are there for business .
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by PeachtreeReside(f): 10:11pm On May 11, 2019
tobiasbeecher:

You're more bitter and vicious! Go back to your previous comments and see where you were attacking the Igbos and carefully left out your beloved Yoruba people. Bitter soul like you who only see the bad in others and overlook her own fault are why people call you guys chameleon and hypocrites. For you to open that your tiny mouth to say that Igbo parents teach their children hate shows how vile and disgusting you can be. Run along you bloody little hypocrite!

See who sounds vile ....

I sprinkle 1st Corinthians 13 on you every hour of your life. It will drain the vile and bile of you with time.

Your type, I met on Nairaland.

Nursing grudges , looking for anything that tells the truth as it is and getting worked up with hatred. And bile.

MASSOB and IPOB running numbers on your psyche for selfish reasons that you are too blind to see.

Hating Tinubu for no reason ??
Tinubu wants to do stuffs and not one fact to back it up. And yet you choose to believe it.

We are lucky we don't sue people for libel in this country .

MASSOB AND IPOB leading innocent naive youths to their death for selfish reasons and you the enlightened ones aren't warning yourselves to be wary of divisive tactics .

Young man , you will find hate when that's what fills your heart.

O, I send wisdom.into your life. Maturity too.

Wherever you are, the hate you have towards any Yoruba or any tribe will turn to beautiful love , friendship and camaraderie .

No one is without shortcoming. But when you focus on other people's negatives, you will only fuel hatred which can kill.

You also need to be less insultive too. I sprinkle that one on you too in the name of the Father ,Son and the Holy Ghost .

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by leokid866: 1:21am On May 12, 2019
Bridget95:
How do you mean by respect your host?The last time I checked never have igbos collectively done anything to cause the preach of peace or do you mean that they should vote your preferred candidates because that is what the oba and Tinubu wanted but many of them didn't come out to vote because they are there for business .

Okay.
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by tobiasbeecher: 5:00am On May 12, 2019
[s]
PeachtreeReside:

See who sounds vile ....

I sprinkle 1st Corinthians 13 on you every hour of your life. It will drain the vile and bile of you with time.

Your type, I met on Nairaland.

Nursing grudges , looking for anything that tells the truth as it is and getting worked up with hatred. And bile.

MASSOB and IPOB running numbers on your psyche for selfish reasons that you are too blind to see.

Hating Tinubu for no reason ??
Tinubu wants to do stuffs and not one fact to back it up. And yet you choose to believe it.

We are lucky we don't sue people for libel in this country .

MASSOB AND IPOB leading innocent naive youths to their death for selfish reasons and you the enlightened ones aren't warning yourselves to be wary of divisive tactics .

Young man , you will find hate when that's what fills your heart.

O, I send wisdom.into your life. Maturity too.

Wherever you are, the hate you have towards any Yoruba or any tribe will turn to beautiful love , friendship and camaraderie .

No one is without shortcoming. But when you focus on other people's negatives, you will only fuel hatred which can kill.

You also need to be less insultive too. I sprinkle that one on you too in the name of the Father ,Son and the Holy Ghost .

[/s]
Like I said you're a bloody little hypocrite! Remove the log of wood in your hate-filled eyes before you attempt to remove the one in others. I'm tired of you and your people always demonizing the Igbos and accusing the them of being the only cause of the problem. You want through all the comments and the only thing you can see is the hate and insults from Igbos but you never saw the ones from your people. Of course they are saints and are always filled with love and affection towards the Igbos.
For you to insinuate that Ipob and massob speak for the generality of Igbos shows how myopic you're. Stop acting as if your parents are saints, they also teach you people on how to hate the Igbos from childhood hence the morbid hatred and jealousy you guys always have for the Igbos. Like I said run along, and while you're at that, try and tone that on your hypocrisy.
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by PeachtreeReside(f): 5:07am On May 12, 2019
tobiasbeecher:
[s][/s]
Like I said you're a bloody little hypocrite! Remove the log of wood in your hate-filled eyes before you attempt to remove the one in others. I'm tired of you and your people always demonizing the Igbos and accusing the them of being the only cause of the problem. You want through all the comments and the only thing you can see is the hate and insults from Igbos but you never saw the ones from your people. Of course they are saints and are always filled with love and affection towards the Igbos.
For you to insinuate that Ipob and massob speak for the generality of Igbos shows how myopic you're. Stop acting as if your parents are saints, they also teach you people on how to hate the Igbos from childhood hence the morbid hatred and jealousy you guys always have for the Igbos. Like I said run along, and while you're at that, try and tone that on your hypocrisy.

I send you tonnes and tones of peace , love and maturity big hypocrite .

You need to learn to engage in a discussion without being insulting .

That plantation in your eyes, REMOVE iT !

LOL!!

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by bigpicture001: 5:09am On May 12, 2019
Sanchez01:
If Tinubu offended these guys in their former life without knowing it, he should kindly be a gentleman and apologize.

On a more serious note, with the ways these guys keep pitching innocent Igbos against government officials and other ethnic groups in this country, I sure hope they have a plan of accommodating their ilks when the cookies crumble.

Seeing a region with two clueless groups in the guise of IPOB and MASSOB is too much and largely unfair. Unfortunately, Ohaneze has been relegated to the background.

South East governors and their monarchs have so much work to do and I seriously don't envy them right now.

Ikpeazu and co have all ruined parts of the South East but a man who doesn't have their time has remained their headache from time immemorial. La wa!

Is ikpeazu...closing ladipo,lagos island, trade fare, ojo alaba...etc markets...?

Is he the one threatening igbos during election...?

Is ikpeazu d one deporting igbos from lagos...?

If you don't know what to say.; play the port in ur phone and masturbate...stop contributing to what you don't understand
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by tobiasbeecher: 6:43am On May 12, 2019
PeachtreeReside:

I send you tonnes and tones of peace , love and maturity big hypocrite .

You need to learn to engage in a discussion without being insulting .

That plantation in your eyes, REMOVE iT !

LOL!!

PeachtreeReside:

This fire being stoked will burn the Ibos stoking it.

Election is over and these horrible people have to bring another wave of hatred , bigotism and tribalism .

Hatred has never achieved anything good

This generation of Ibos can be better than that of their fathers.

These are your comments and you have the audacity to accuse the Igbos of hatred? Like I said you're a bloody hypocrite who only strives to point out the bad in others and overlook the bad in his/her people. You're full of hatred and contempt for the Igbos. just accept it and stop pretending you like them because your outbursts clearly show who you are. Though I'm not surprised because you guys are known for being a chameleon and having this "we are saints and you're a demon" attitude. Run along young girl/man, you're not better than the people you accused of bigotry. You yourself is also full of hatred and bigotry!
Re: Biafra: Massob Accuses Tinubu Of Plans To Revoke Igbo Properties In Lagos by johntolu: 7:08am On May 12, 2019
Stingman:

You are very correct about Miyetti Allah's excess and Buhari's government's double standard on the issue.

Kindly go through the attached speech below, given by Dr. Azikiwe, against Northerners' intention to pull out of Nigeria before independence.
The igbo Nation was more interested in a centralized Nigeria during the constitutional conferences held before independence for a reason best known to their leaders. The rigid position Igbo leaders took back then, is what is hunting the Igbo Nation today.

(1953) NNAMDI AZIKIWE, “SPEECH ON SECESSION”

In 1953 when Northern Nigerians were beginning to consider secession from the Nigerian colony that would soon be a nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe gave a speech before the caucus of his political party, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) in Yaba, Nigeria on May 12, 1953. That speech, while not disallowing secession, suggested that there would be grave consequences if the Northern region became an independent nation. Ironically, fourteen years later, Azikiwe led his Eastern Region out of Nigeria and created Biafra, a move that prompted a bloody three year civil war. Azikiwe’s 1953 speech appears below.

I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters. I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

VP Shettima Lands In Ibadan For 2023 Army Day Celebration (Video) / Tinubu & CSU: We Don’t Have Time For Frivolous Issues – Yusuf Tuggar / Ambode: Despite Tinubu’s Hard Stance, Presidency Pushes For Peace Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.