Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,218 members, 7,811,606 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins (8127 Views)

MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 / The Set Stage Of The FEC Banquet Ahead Of Cabinet Swearing In / FEC Approves Confab’s Main Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by ladi02(m): 12:14pm On Sep 23, 2010
The Federal Government, on Wednesday, approved the purchase of 60,000 units of British Waste Bins at N927,600,000, to maintain a clean and healthy environment in Abuja.

The Minister of Information and Communications, Professor Dora Akunyili, made this known to State House correspondents in Abuja after the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting, presided over by Vice-Presideant Namadi Sambo.

She said the bins would contain the volume of waste being generated in the Federal Capital Territory.

Akunyili said that the council approved the purchase of the waste bins because the major challenge confronting the FCT Administration in waste management was inadequate waste receptacles in the city.

“Studies have shown that locally-produced plastic waste bins are very low in quality and not compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks.

“The previous efforts by the board to address these problems did not yield the desired result.

“In order to maintain a clean and healthy environment in FCT, the council approved the award of contract for the supply of 60,000 units of 240-litre plastic British bins in the sum of N927,600,000,” she said.

The minister said that the waste bins would be distributed to the residents of FCT, while the cost would be recovered within a period of two years through waste bills.

Akunyili said that there was a budgetary provision of N1.1 billion in the FCT 2010 budget for the project.

She also said that the council also approved N455 million for the procurement of additional waste disposal equipment, D7R Series II track bulldozer and Pay-Loader for the FCT.

According to her, the equipment include a landfill compactor, a wheel-loader and steer loader.

Akunyili said that the council approved additional N1.95 billion for the completion of the new headquarters complex of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja.

She explained that the additional cost came due to “inevitable changes that further enhanced the quality and standard of the building.”

Akunyili maintained that N4.7 billion had been appropriated in the 2010 amendment appropriation, including the augmentation amount of N1.95 billion.

Read More: http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/11458-fec-approves-n927m-for-fct-waste-bins-
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 23, 2010
WASTE indeed! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by ladi02(m): 12:20pm On Sep 23, 2010
Oh wow, this is our main priority GEJ administration know how to meet the needs of the people

almost N1b on waste bins, in a country where unemployment keeps increasing, inflation rate is under control (in their minds), half of the brains have left the country, and security is almost at the worst level in the last 20years.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 23, 2010
another official planning for retirement at our detriment

the waste bin is a good idea,but why import?

we can manufacture such here
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by axeman85(m): 12:30pm On Sep 23, 2010
This woman ais as usless as ever BINS that selss here for less than £10 and there are spending almost 1billion for. woe betide all of them. dan iska
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by ladi02(m): 12:31pm On Sep 23, 2010
MrPrsdent:

another official planning for retirement at our detriment

the waste bin is a good idea,but why import?

we can manufacture such here

Each of those bins go for about $70 (retail) the budgeted price shows about $110 per bin, so someone is about to make about half the price ($40) as profit apart from discounts. haha that is about N300m profit minimum, how i love this country
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 23, 2010
ladi02:

Each of those bins go for about $70 (retail) the budgeted price shows about $110 per bin, so someone is about to make about half the price ($40) as profit apart from discounts. haha that is about N300m profit minimum, how i love this country

meaning that ordering direct from the factory will probably not be more than $30 each,
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by maimalari: 12:44pm On Sep 23, 2010
Waste indeed. Our health system is dead,federal roads dead.which way nigeria?and who is going to count the bins when they arrive.I bet u they won't import more than 5000 bins.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by KnowAll(m): 12:44pm On Sep 23, 2010
Studies have shown that locally-produced plastic waste bins are very low in quality and not compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks.

[size=14pt]It is a shame a country with numerous rubber resources and other components required to make this bin cannot make a good quality Bin, making importation of such a mundane item a necessity.

Do we now believe there are really a true made in Nigeria Car, like what is purported in the news and Blogging forums.

I hope it is not a case of assembling CKP(Complete Knocked down Parts ) in Nigeria as suppose to actually manufacturing and making the parts.[/size]
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by fanistic(m): 12:53pm On Sep 23, 2010
this would create job opportunities for nigerians, not a bad idea only that the importer would make some serious money!!!!!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by rebranded(m): 12:55pm On Sep 23, 2010
ladi02:

“Studies have shown that locally-produced plastic waste bins are very low in quality and not compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks.

"I wont mind making Bins that are high quality and compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks" if 2 more states will be ready to pay me this amount, will be a billionaire instantly grin Jokers thieves!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by ladi02(m): 1:04pm On Sep 23, 2010
During the World cup, GEJ said the cost of building 1 stadium in nigeria was enough to build 2 stadia

exactly what they are doing again, opting to import, and inflating price by 50%, we NEED Ribadu!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by chamber2(m): 1:12pm On Sep 23, 2010

And yet they still want pple to go into manufacturing. Where is Akuyili's rebranding if we can't encourage local manufacturers.

I think we are still under colonial rule.Our reader are mentally retard
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by FaLeroy: 1:16pm On Sep 23, 2010
What happened to OK plast?!!!! This is ridiculous and just for the FCT. The minister for environment or whatever he's called will soon demand same for all the states in the federation. All in the name of campaign funds. Yet people are dying from cholera because the country can provide neither clean water nor ORT of #100  angry
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Gamine(f): 1:17pm On Sep 23, 2010
What an Irony!!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by 2sleek2NV(m): 1:19pm On Sep 23, 2010
For Christ Sakes, WHY IMPORT WASTE BINS?. our waste here in Nigeria are very TOXIC.
y not  get all the plastic companies in nigeria (OKplast, etc), give them a sample of the one intended for importation and have them make a replica.
now if we are afraid it will be of low quality (trust nig comapanies), put the Standard Organisation of Nig on their back side. (i knw they can be bought over also).
the waste bin's we use in other parts of nigeria, are they imported also?
My point is y send the money out wen we can manufacture same here.
we help another country empower its economy while ours is at HELLS PIT

STEWPID PPLE!!!!!!!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Hilundi: 1:21pm On Sep 23, 2010
I am really ashamed being a Nigeria, 60,000 imported British what ? Its terribly barbaric and in saner clime Akunyili would no have the gusto to insult the intelligence of the Nigerian people.I don't know why a local company cannot be given the production order for such a project that requires no technical competence!!!!!!!!!!!!Its really absurd to the extreme,no wonder a Nigerian in these jet age is been trapped dead just because he wants to leave Nigeria for greener pasture.GEJ i'm not impressed you can bet,and minus one vote for you,you can bet , Rubbish ,
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by KnowAll(m): 1:24pm On Sep 23, 2010
n
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by KnowAll(m): 1:25pm On Sep 23, 2010
I would not be surprised Nigeria imports A4 papers despite all the trees we have in Naija.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by GOZILLA(m): 1:39pm On Sep 23, 2010
It has started again!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by segzicres(m): 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2010
i believe that, that was a waste to some extent. why? because the uk andard that they are crying about can be made here in nigeria, it's just that whe the conracs are awarded, the 'bills' reduce. and that only kills the quality, that's what they should address not importing ish!!!! it's still sad.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by kobofun(m): 2:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
[center]Nigeria Oh my Nigger area![/center]
We import chalk, A4 paper, pencils, human hair, food, any ish u can fink of, :Peven our naira is imported-she una don 4get? cheesy
maybe we've got to import leaders sad cuz everything made in 9ja is a fake, a scam, inferior even the PC i'm typing on wuz imported.
I tink we also import fertilizer and manure, despite all d SHIT around.
[s]Only exports are our best brains, scammers, drug pushers and , [/s]
Nigeria @ 50 itself is a waste fit for the best British bin, mayb d one the Queen uses personally. What in ell's name are we celebrating? We shud mourn @ 50 and import bins to hide our disgrace
MAY OUR LEADERS ROT IN HELL cool - bunch of dirt, not even fit 4d bins!
Tufiakwa shocked
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by oluclem(m): 2:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
I WANT TO BELIEVE THE FEC HAVE FORGOTTEN THIS SLOGAN (PROUDLY NIGERIA)? HOW ON EARTH WILL A RIGHT THINKING GOVT WILL APPROVE N927,600,000, (£3,855,977.83 ) FOR WASTE BIN THAT CAN BE PRODUCE LOCALLY. IF THE GOVT INVEST THIS SAME AMOUNT IN THE PLASTIC MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES, THEY WILL PRODUCE MORE THAN 60,000 UNIT OF WASTE BIN, "NIGERIA: GREAT PEOPLE, BAD LEADERS"
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by hooklover: 2:31pm On Sep 23, 2010
am not suprised that fec approves that amount. this is the pdp cabal on d go all these ppl are corrupt.and cos joe needs 2011 by force,he just have to play ball. joe cant fight corruption.more shockers to come. shine u eye. ribadu is d man.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by JAZES(m): 2:35pm On Sep 23, 2010
I have always said that this present government is not different from the thieves that are clamoring to occupy Aso Rock comes 2011. GEJ or whatever they call him with his rogues turned ministers are not different from the typical Naija leaders.
As long as it is PDP, it is always business as usual.
Just imagine such statement from Madam Dora.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by JAZES(m): 2:40pm On Sep 23, 2010
hooklover:

am not suprised that fec approves that amount. this is the pdp cabal on d go all these ppl are corrupt.and cos joe needs 2011 by force,he just have to play ball. joe cant fight corruption.more shockers to come. shine u eye. ribadu is d man.

You took the words out of my mouth. Joe will always play ball because all of them na the same.
It is glaring that with these kinds of leaders, this country's future is bleak.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by ladi02(m): 2:43pm On Sep 23, 2010
Nigerians wise up!

Vote wisely (NO MORE PDP!)
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by yadyas4LV: 2:50pm On Sep 23, 2010
grin angry sad sad sad sad WHEN DO WE BE TRULY GUIDED IN THIS COUNTRY?
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by rebranded(m): 2:52pm On Sep 23, 2010
yadyas4LV:

grin angry sad sad sad sad WHEN DO WE BE TRULY GUIDED IN THIS COUNTRY?

When u have an opportunity to get rid of the evil party called PDP LIKE NOW!
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Gekko(m): 2:54pm On Sep 23, 2010
This is the type of shi[b]t[/b] that gets my blood to boil.  Sometime ago i caught a  show on NTA online showing a woman in JOS making products out of plastic fibers.  Waste bins was among the products she manufactured.  I was particularly impressed because her craft-ship was superb for an un-trained self starter and the waste bins design was world class, no different than what you find in any European city.  Can someone explain why these geezers in charge cant outsource 60,000 bins locally?  Aaargh!  I hate stupid people in government and there is just too many of them that supply the collective stupidity.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2010
$6.5 million of British Waste Bins? Can't we make the same here in Nigeria and maybe help enrich our own companies? Abi no be plastic again?

ladi02:

“The previous efforts by the board to address these problems did not yield the desired result.

I don't think that is a good enough excuse madam . . . considering the amount to be spent at the end of the day for this endeavour, I am certain you can come up with a good deal with even the manufacture of the units to be purchased, to have the plastics moulded down in Nigeria or the polymers shipped down so we can make the desired quality right in our own backyard.
Re: Fec Approves N927m ($6.5m) For Fct Waste Bins by labiyemmy(m): 3:23pm On Sep 23, 2010
Hypocrites -

How many locally made stuff can be found in your houses, including the shoes you wear?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Threatened To Kill Self On Christmas Day. Is He Still Alive? / OBJ, IBB, Decry Insecurity In Nigeria / Radio Biafra: Time To Take A Calculated Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.