Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,839 members, 7,831,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools (1295 Views)

Love Making In Swimming Pools Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / Lovers Drown In Ekiti’s Ureje Dam / Man Appears To Drown In A Swimming Pool As Sexy Ladies Take Pictures In Bikinis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by Dechymmytv(f): 10:37am On May 20, 2019
From time to time , I read news where people especially students die from drowning in pools and rivers , the rate of people (especially young people ) who die from drowning is quite high,

Why do people drown in pools , in some cases pools are crowded but people still manage to drawn in it....
I thought swimming was supposed to be a basic skill .

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by Nobody: 12:47am On May 22, 2019
I want to learn this kind of type! Teach me.
Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by zomoears(m): 1:29am On May 22, 2019
Dechymmytv:
From time to time , I read news where people especially students die from drowning in pools and rivers , the rate of people (especially young people ) who die from drowning is quite high,

Why do people drown in pools , in some cases pools are crowded but people still manage to drawn in it....
I thought swimming was supposed to be a basic skill .

Drugs and alcohol.
It distorts your sense of judgement, and codeine actually "slows" down a man. Even if you know how to swim, with the distortions, you are at risk in water.
Don't swim when you indulge.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by Sanchez01: 2:08am On May 22, 2019
zomoears:

Drugs and alcohol.
It distorts your sense of judgement, and codeine actually "slows" down a man. Even if you know how to swim, with the distortions, you are at risk in water.
Wrong. I have witnessed two up-close cases... Both happened in different states and the same scenario almost played out. Most people who use pools aren't swimmers, let alone good ones.

The first was a hotel in Lekki about 6 years ago. I was in the pool with a couple of friends when a guy dived into the pool from the other end which was the deepest (6ft). He started drowning almost immediately after his futile struggle to stay afloat didn't pay off. Turned out he doesn't know how to swim and he thought one would naturally float whether or not you know how to swim the moment you hit the pool/water. We rescued him but he drank a reasonable amount of water that day.

The other happened in Port Harcourt, in 2017. Colleagues and I were in a pool in a hotel premises late in the evening when this dude who had sat on the edge of the pool for some minutes plunged into the pool. We had no idea he was drowning because the pool was huge and we were in the middle of the pool and it was almost dark. A hotel staff who passed by raised alarm after noticing the dude wasn't having fun.

My point is, taking swimming lesson is key if you love or fancy pool or water bodies. If you don't know how to swim, don't assume it is easy and that all you would do is kick when in reality your kick is weak and shitty.

Floaters should be your best friend if you aren't perfect. Don't stray from them and don't ditch them in a bid to impress someone.

Most importantly, if you are a novice, stay within the 4ft area and don't go beyond that.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by zomoears(m): 7:39am On May 22, 2019
Sanchez01:

Wrong. I have witnessed two up-close cases... Both happened in different states and the same scenario almost played out. Most people who use pools aren't swimmers, let alone good ones.

The first was a hotel in Lekki about 6 years ago. I was in the pool with a couple of friends when a guy dived into the pool from the other end which was the deepest (6ft). He started drowning almost immediately after his futile struggle to stay afloat didn't pay off. Turned out he doesn't know how to swim and he thought one would naturally float whether or not you know how to swim the moment you hit the pool/water. We rescued him but he drank a reasonable amount of water that day.

The other happened in Port Harcourt, in 2017. Colleagues and I were in a pool in a hotel premises late in the evening when this dude who had sat on the edge of the pool for some minutes plunged into the pool. We had no idea he was drowning because the pool was huge and we were in the middle of the pool and it was almost dark. A hotel staff who passed by raised alarm after noticing the dude wasn't having fun.

My point is, taking swimming lesson is key if you love or fancy pool or water bodies. If you don't know how to swim, don't assume it is easy and that all you would do is kick when in reality your kick is weak and shitty.

Floaters should be your best friend if you aren't perfect. Don't stray from them and don't ditch them in a bid to impress someone.

Most importantly, if you are a novice, stay within the 4ft area and don't go beyond that.

The problem with young minds... Always in an rush to counter and condemn someone...do your research,young man.

U have your points, which are also right. U seem to want to say there is only one reason why people drown in pools.

I have seen good swimmers lose it in pools, and had to be rescued. I have made fun of guys and girls alike who I have seen miscue or misjudge water because they had indulged. I have lost a colleague in a pool, she drowned, because she took too much alcohol. Her family did attest that she was always a good swimmer from her teenage days, but psychoactive substances have powerful effects.

Never underestimate the effect of psychoactive substances.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by stanley000: 9:15am On May 22, 2019
Liket by anitajoseph,.reginadaniels and 17 others, ishallah 2019 mmm
Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by babyfaceafrica: 10:41am On May 22, 2019
zomoears:

The problem with young minds... Always in an rush to counter and condemn someone...do your research,young man.

U have your points, which are also right. U seem to want to say there is only one reason why people drown in pools.

I have seen good swimmers lose it in pools, and had to be rescued. I have made fun of guys and girls alike who I have seen miscue or misjudge water because they had indulged. I have lost a colleague in a pool, she drowned, because she took too much alcohol. Her family did attest that she was always a good swimmer from her teenage days, but psychoactive substances have powerful effects.

Never underestimate the effect of psychoactive substances.
agree totally... don't drink and swim..it is dangerous. it is just like drinking and driving..even if you are an expert driver,once alcohol enters your system....it impedes you

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by Nobody: 11:39am On May 22, 2019
Dem no Sabi swim! me, I can jump in to a 12ft pool and swim to the other side in minutes, learnt since I was 11yrs old.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by Nobody: 11:46am On May 22, 2019
zomoears:

Drugs and alcohol.
Me, I enjoy swimming more when I drink, it makes me faster and illuminates the environment at thesame time, codeine isn't a good idea though because its a chill drug, better to take it when chilling.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by CaptainStephen(m): 1:21pm On May 22, 2019
Fear is the root cause
Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by GbovoLee(m): 3:25pm On May 22, 2019
CaptainStephen:
Fear is the root cause

The second you make a mistake in a deep part of a pool, you might lose all trainings you've had.
Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by CaptainStephen(m): 6:38pm On May 22, 2019
GbovoLee:

The second you make a mistake in a deep part of a pool, you might lose all trainings you've had.
exactly then panic sets in.
Re: Why Do People Drown In 8ft Pools by TheStrongest: 9:45pm On May 22, 2019
I can't say for sure...
in october 2011 I almost lost my life in a pool. I and a girl that was at the pool to celebrate her birthday were the best swimmers amongst everyone in the pool that fateful day. We were the only ones brave enough to swim around 12ft. One time she swam to 12 ft and I decided to go meet her as usual, Alas! around 6ft I felt like my legs were held, I was struggling to gain balance and also remain afloat but the force was overpowering kinda, my legs were becoming weak. Suddenly the birthday girl started swimming towards me, immediately she got close to me I placed my 2 hands on her shoulders so I could gain balance. I just jejely left the pool, went to the bathroom to shower, pack my wears and headed home to thank my God. since that day till now I've not entered a swimming pool...

(1) (Reply)

Genny Uzoma Shows Why She's The Most Beautiful Actress With Lovely New Picture / Why Do Nigerian Men Complain Too Much / Peace be still

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.