Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,159 members, 7,815,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (333) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (967741 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by searchng4love: 11:46am On Apr 04, 2020
rozey247:
Its factory fitted sir
My E class is quite silent as regards coolant fan. Wait for nakoks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ibbabah: 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2020
rozey247:
Good morning to all the benz expert in the house.
Please I need help and advice from the experience users and experts here concerning my C240 2003/2004 model.
The cooling fan is always running on high speed and making a loud sound whenever I on AC. If AC is off it runs silent and normal but the moment I on AC the fan will start running at a higher speed and keep on like that continuously and you can pick up the sound of the fan from some meters away and even in the cabin as you drive. And the AC is working perfect and chilling but the sound is making me not enjoy my AC in peace��
I was told is a common problem with that model and year but no one seems to know the solution among those I have come across.
Please any suggestion on how to go about solving this issue is welcome. God bless you all. �

I think there should be something that regulates the fan from high to low speed. Like when I put my AC on, the fan will start but won’t be high immediately. So there are moment the noise increases and after a while it becomes silent.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 3:36pm On Apr 04, 2020
ibbabah:

I think there should be something that regulates the fan from high to low speed. [b] Like when I put my AC on, the fan will start but won’t be high immediately. So there are moment the noise increases and after a while it becomes silent. [/b]

Blower motor and or regulator, they don't last forever (pun intended)- I repeat he should leave that noise alone or contact Gaz's logistics services for a quote.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nakoks(m): 3:58pm On Apr 04, 2020
rozey247:
Its factory fitted sir
Where is your location?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by rozey247(m): 4:45pm On Apr 04, 2020
ibbabah:

I think there should be something that regulates the fan from high to low speed. Like when I put my AC on, the fan will start but won’t be high immediately. So there are moment the noise increases and after a while it becomes silent.

Yeah you are right bro. There are couple of components regulating the fan speed based on the temperature of the engine at every given points. And the fault may be from one of them for sure. The challenge is knowing the faulty component. The engine always assume the worst case and trigger the fan to be running high if the regulator is not functioning well.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by rozey247(m): 4:50pm On Apr 04, 2020
Eddee:

Blower motor and or regulator, they don't last forever (pun intended)- I repeat he should leave that noise alone or contact Gaz's logistics services for a quote.

Thanks a lot eddee. I appreciate your contribution a lot and I think I will go with your suggestion. But please is it the noise that don't usually last forever or you mean replacing the components they will not last forever??
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 6:12pm On Apr 04, 2020
rozey247:

Thanks a lot eddee. I appreciate your contribution a lot and I think I will go with your suggestion. But please is it the noise that don't usually last forever or you mean replacing the components they will not last forever??

I meant the components, read the below resources. Mercedes Benz engines are designed to run very hot, the cooling system's thermostat in the engine begins to open at 88 to 92 degrees Celsius, 95 degrees should be normal operating temperature. But it's perfectly normal for your guage to read at 95-100 C. Now the import of this is your fan will compensate for this heat by working overtime. If the noise bothers you, consult one of the trusted hands here to offer offline support.

https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-s-class-11/when-i-turn-ac-fan-very-loud-please-help-44314/

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/loud-radiator-fan.1615116/
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by rozey247(m): 10:06pm On Apr 04, 2020
Eddee:

I meant the components, read the below resources. Mercedes Benz engines are designed to run very hot, the cooling system's thermostat in the engine begins to open at 88 to 92 degrees Celsius, 95 degrees should be normal operating temperature. But it's perfectly normal for your guage to read at 95-100 C. Now the import of this is your fan will compensate for this heat by working overtime. If the noise bothers you, consult one of the trusted hands here to offer offline support.

https://mercedesforum.com/forum/mercedes-s-class-11/when-i-turn-ac-fan-very-loud-please-help-44314/

Its alright bro. Thanks�
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 8:21am On Apr 05, 2020
rozey247:
Good morning to all the benz expert in the house.
Please I need help and advice from the experience users and experts here concerning my C240 2003/2004 model.
The cooling fan is always running on high speed and making a loud sound whenever I on AC. If AC is off it runs silent and normal but the moment I on AC the fan will start running at a higher speed and keep on like that continuously and you can pick up the sound of the fan from some meters away and even in the cabin as you drive. And the AC is working perfect and chilling but the sound is making me not enjoy my AC in peace��
I was told is a common problem with that model and year but no one seems to know the solution among those I have come across.
Please any suggestion on how to go about solving this issue is welcome. God bless you all. �
Your fan is not designed to run at full speed all the time.
The problem you are experiencing have nothing to do with engine temperature.
The problem is with your AC system and the culprit is the AC pressure switch....it's a sensor that measures the pressure and volume of Freon (gas) in the ur AC system.
If the gas is too low it will send signal to the ecu that all is not well and the ecu will run the fan at full blast.
When the AC pressure switch becomes faulty it will continuously send error signals to ECU....
Running your fan at full speed all the time will cause problems in the long run.

I suggest you first check the level of the AC gas before replacing the AC pressure switch.
The AC pressure switch is located under the condenser.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 1:18pm On Apr 05, 2020
9icetoo:

There is a difference between a cliche, a slogan and a statement of fact.
If either of the words 'literally' or 'figuratively' was added to that statement, my response would have been different.
You studied literature? Should I be afraid?
Humour me.

Bros .. I can't see anything that is cliche here. Maybe you are mistaking my statement as a cliche

But let it slide
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 1:20pm On Apr 05, 2020
Eddee:

Thanks for this response bro ..I used to see my SUV tilt between 90°c - 95°c And I used to be thinking it's overheating!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 2:28pm On Apr 05, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Thanks for this response bro ..I used to see my SUV tilt between 90°c - 95°c And I used to be thinking it's overheating!

Nah, normal operating temperature. You have the M112 engine if I'm not mistaken. Those engines don't die easily, there's a reason they are one of the cheapest and most durable Merc engines out there - My dad taught me a small hack, to change the coolant temperature sensor (water switch) during every oil change. It's dirt cheap (1k) and a very easy DIY. A new one will keep your temp around 88-92c. An aging one will always alternate between 90-95c.

If your SUV overheats believe me you will know, limp mode will happen once you lose compression due to a blown head gasket to avoid permanent damage. Telltale signs include but not limited to random misfires on every cold start, vehicle will have difficulty starting after being parked for more than 24 hours. White smoke from the exhaust pipe. Unusual bubbles in the coolant expansion tank. White milky oil. And soaked spark plugs.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Rekete(m): 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2020
Please, I want to get a Mercedes C300, 2008. Kindly advise on fuel consumption and maintenance.

I'm thinking of going for CAMRY 2012/2014 instead.

Whats the diffenrce between the 4matic and the non-4matic.

I really want to join the Mercedes owners club. Been using Toyota and Honda. I currently use a Highlander, 6 Cylinders.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by KINGreignn: 3:48pm On Apr 05, 2020
Rekete:
Please, I want to get a Mercedes C300, 2008. Kindly advise on fuel consumption and maintenance.

[s]I'm thinking of going for CAMRY 2012/2014 instead[/s].

I really want to join the Mercedes owners club. Been using Toyota and Honda. I currently use a Highlander, 6 Cylinders.

That yeye silly stupid nonsensical plastic. Toyota designers and engineers who designed and built such stupidity should be jailed.

Get a lexus instead or a c300 2010 upwards.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:39pm On Apr 05, 2020
Rekete:

I'm thinking of going for CAMRY 2012/2014 instead.

No. Get a facelift model - 2012+.
4matic is just AWD drive. Better for navigating sticky terrain. More expensive suspension parts.

Pro tip from me: Buy a 2012 C350. RWD, not 4matic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by searchng4love: 5:23pm On Apr 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

4matic is just AWD drive. Better for navigating sticky terrain. More expensive suspension parts.

Sticky terrains? Get an SUV.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:28pm On Apr 05, 2020
searchng4love:

Sticky terrains? Get an SUV.

Better. Learn to read. Never said it was the answer to bad terrains, but it's undoubtedly better than the RWD model.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by searchng4love: 5:30pm On Apr 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Better. Learn to read. Never said it was the answer to bad terrains, but it's undoubtedly better than the RWD model.
No learn to read. I only expanded your options or solutions.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by rozey247(m): 10:00pm On Apr 05, 2020
shortgun:

The problem is with your AC system and the culprit is the AC pressure switch....it's a sensor that measures the pressure and volume of Freon (gas) in the ur AC system.
If the gas is too low it will send signal to the ecu that all is not well and the ecu will run the fan at full blast.
When the AC pressure switch becomes faulty it will continuously send error signals to ECU....
Running your fan at full speed all the time will cause problems in the long run.

I suggest you first check the level of the AC gas before replacing the AC pressure switch.

Good luck.

Mehn I appreciate your contribution a lot short gun. I will definitely check on the AC gas level and probably the sensor as you suggested. If it works I will be the happiest person. I just hope the pressure switch is not that expensive incase I needed to change.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Rekete(m): 10:25pm On Apr 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Very many thanks. I appreciate.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 3:50pm On Apr 06, 2020
Eddee:

Nah, normal operating temperature. You have the M112 engine if I'm not mistaken. Those engines don't die easily, there's a reason they are one of the cheapest and most durable Merc engines out there - My dad taught me a small hack, to change the coolant temperature sensor (water switch) during every oil change. It's dirt cheap (1k) and a very easy DIY. A new one will keep your temp around 88-92c. An aging one will always alternate between 90-95c.

If your SUV overheats believe me you will know, limp mode will happen once you lose compression due to a blown head gasket to avoid permanent damage. Telltale signs include but not limited to random misfires on every cold start, vehicle will have difficulty starting after being parked for more than 24 hours. White smoke from the exhaust pipe. Unusual bubbles in the coolant expansion tank. White milky oil. And soaked spark plugs.

Thanks for the exposë...if I start the SUV in the morning, it is a bit noisy the fan but after few seconds like 20seconds, you will hear something like switch then the sound comes down like a magic and it's noiseless... Then the RPM needle come down also below 10. It happens in few seconds then the temperature is around 80°C then while driving depending on the environmental condition it stays between 90° but in a hot day it is around 95°C but never 100°C

Also....as of the smoke , it doesn't for now just that when I start in the morning, I check the exhaust, I see water dripping from the tailpipe and steam( that thing that we see when boiling water ) these are the things that u have noticed also.... Is water dripping from pipe okay! My mech said it's okay but the movement is okay !

Thanks once again for the information! Also, what is your take on C Class 230 Or 320 ( is 4matic better than kompressor) madam is on my neck ! But I am thinking A class !

Thanks for the advice !
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 3:51pm On Apr 06, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

awesome post what about C class 2005 - 2006 model...what's your take on it.. it's 4matic good or do we go for kompressor?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2020
shortgun:

Good luck.

Great post , I must say! What is your take on automatic or manual compressors if you want to change ! I am a bit confused here...some guy said that the manual compressors are good because my car is a V6 (320) but what's your take but it seems that the car came with automatic compressor!

Your advise would be appreciated sir
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 4:17pm On Apr 06, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Thanks for the exposë...if I start the SUV in the morning, it is a bit noisy the fan but after few seconds like 20seconds, you will hear something like switch then the sound comes down like a magic and it's noiseless... Then the RPM needle come down also below 10. It happens in few seconds then the temperature is around 80°C then while driving depending on the environmental condition it stays between 90° but in a hot day it is around 95°C but never 100°C

Also....as of the smoke , it doesn't for now just that when I start in the morning, I check the exhaust, I see water dripping from the tailpipe and steam( that thing that we see when boiling water ) these are the things that u have noticed also.... Is water dripping from pipe okay! My mech said it's okay but the movement is okay !

Thanks once again for the information! Also, what is your take on C Class 230 Or 320 ( is 4matic better than kompressor) madam is on my neck ! But I am thinking A class !

Thanks for the advice !

If you want further clarification on your observations, contact Oluwaseunla - he's very hands on and will gladly offer advice.

As for C Class, please go for 320. Coming from an ML you're used to fueling so no need to flog a dead horse. Avoid anything with a "Kompressor" or "4matic" affixed to it. A naturally aspirated engine is in general more reliable than forced induction engines, or engines that rely on a turbo or supercharger as the kompressor.

As for 4matic, the suspension components are way more expensive than the"normal" Merc parts.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Shegbe: 5:02pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hello guys, good work y'all are doing here.
I need help with deciding between a 2008 C300 and a 2007 ML 350. I have used Toyota all my life but think its time for a change. I personally would have preferred the C300 but I'm afraid of Lagos flood. Also, there is a general perception that Benz is difficult to maintain. Please help!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
AmuDimpka:
awesome post what about C class 2005 - 2006 model...what's your take on it.. it's 4matic good or do we go for kompressor?

The W203 is garbage. But if you must, 2005 C320 is the only one I'd recommend.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Naanshepnick: 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hello house
I need assistance on how to go about these cause I'm just trying to b careful.
I bought a C240 2005 and is showing service A exceeded by 330 days even though the service has been carried out I don't know how to reset the message.its also showing SRS restraints system malfunction drive to a workshop and the ABS indication is always on when driving even though the car brake is working fine.

Pls any body with such experience should guide me on how to go about clearing all those indications.
The car is moving fine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by searchng4love: 5:43pm On Apr 06, 2020
Naanshepnick:
Hello house
I need assistance on how to go about these cause I'm just trying to b careful.
I bought a C240 2005 and is showing service A exceeded by 330 days even though the service has been carried out I don't know how to reset the message.its also showing SRS restraints system malfunction drive to a workshop and the ABS indication is always on when driving even though the car brake is working fine.

Pls any body with such experience should guide me on how to go about clearing all those indications.
The car is moving fine.
Visit a competent workshop.... If in Lagos State call nakoks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Theconglomerate(m): 6:57pm On Apr 06, 2020
Shegbe:
Hello guys, good work y'all are doing here.
I need help with deciding between a 2008 C300 and a 2007 ML 350. I have used Toyota all my life but think its time for a change. I personally would have preferred the C300 but I'm afraid of Lagos flood. Also, there is a general perception that Benz is difficult to maintain. Please help!
It's not a perception,it is true.
Very difficult piece of machine especially as it gets too old.
Don't buy any mercedes older than 10years in Nigeria.
If you can't afford 5 year olds and younger,brother forget it and cruise your toyotas till you can.
W203s and all those garbages aren't just worth it.
Coming from a former fanatic smiley
I drive a modest toyota now till I can afford a proper mercedes...logobenz wink
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Naanshepnick: 7:13pm On Apr 06, 2020
searchng4love:

Visit a competent workshop.... If in Lagos State call nakoks
in ondo state
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by searchng4love: 7:25pm On Apr 06, 2020
Naanshepnick:
in ondo state
Hmmmm there are two shops. Check ladeco tell him what you want. He'll link you to a reputable mechanic shop.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
Theconglomerate:
It's not a perception,it is true.
Very difficult piece of machine especially as it gets too old.
Don't buy any mercedes older than 10years in Nigeria.
If you can't afford 5 year olds and younger,brother forget it and cruise your toyotas till you can.
W203s and all those garbages aren't just worth it.
Coming from a former fanatic smiley
I drive a modest toyota now till I can afford a proper mercedes...logobenz wink

Lol. What happened to the C230K being the best damn car in the world?

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.