Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (970686 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by benz1x: 9:49am On Nov 15, 2013
Guddy: I just arrived Edo state yesterday and I was so baffled at the rate at which people use the w202 c class in this state. From the capital city, Benin, to all other towns, car lots and roads have a good number of this car. I made enquiries why the users like the car and they all have a couple of good things to say about the cars ranging from economy, durability, style, etc.

This is the truth. I live in Benin so I can verify what Guddy has said. In fact, I personally think that Benin is the W202 Capital of Nigeria. You can hardly take 5 steps before one will pass you on the road.

I remember some years ago when they told me the car was "cheap" (due to demand it has gotten more expensive than it used to be) and easy to maintain. Then they told me the engine was about 40k. Of course I did not believe and I said so. The guy was begging me to believe. I dismissed him and put the thought out of my mind. About two years later, I started seeing people buy the car. Gradually the city became flooded with it. Then I realized my friend had been right all along.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by benz1x: 9:59am On Nov 15, 2013
kuntash:

another thing I noticed, it seems our brothers from the northern part of the country have mounted pressure on this range of cars thus driving its price up.

Not only them, the Edo people too.

Seriously though, a friend of mine wanted to import the car from France. On a good day, if you have 600k, you should be able to purchase, ship and clear a clean w202. People have been doing it.. My friend wanted to bring one in but his budget of 600k was not enough because according to his person in France, the sellers said the demand for the car from Nigeria was high.

Anyway, Kuntash, could you please help me? I need to know the correct fluids and plugs to use in my newly acquired w202 C220. I stay in Benin and despite the fact that the roads are flooded with w202s, the mechanics are not very smart. Please I want to know the acceptable fluids. For instance, I know that the green coolant is bad, but I dont know which one is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 10:08am On Nov 15, 2013
benz1x:

Not only them, the Edo people too.

Seriously though, a friend of mine wanted to import the car from France. On a good day, if you have 600k, you should be able to purchase, ship and clear a clean w202. People have been doing it.. My friend wanted to bring one in but his budget of 600k was not enough because according to his person in France, the sellers said the demand for the car from Nigeria was high.

Anyway, Kuntash, could you please help me? I need to know the correct fluids and plugs to use in my newly acquired w202 C220. I stay in Benin and despite the fact that the roads are flooded with w202s, the mechanics are not very smart. Please I want to know the acceptable fluids. For instance, I know that the green coolant is bad, but I dont know which one is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

Hydraulic Fluid is any Good DOT-4 (must be DOT4, else u are on ur own)

For plugs, see below...

GPSERIES PLUG BKR5EGP NGK7090
IXIRIDIUM PLUG BKR5EIX NGK6341
STANDARD PLUG BKR5ES NGK2460
VPOWER PLUG BKR5E NGK7938

For Lubricant- Engine oil, patronize 5w-40 , 10w-40 synthetic engine oils, ..... you can contact me if you need any of these..... even in Benin city

The yellow Coolant from Havoline is the recommended one, and I have checked all d while I used mine and was unable to find.... best bet for you is to use a condensed water from the home airconditioners ... ( i.e the water that comes from the AC) its better than most coolants.

Lest I 4get.... NEVER, NEVER. I MEAN NNNNNEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRR... allow any incompetent electrician to mess up that car by attempting to bypass any connection..
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by benz1x: 10:15am On Nov 15, 2013
ziccoit:

I'm quoting you verbatim now.

" My newbie questions. As you know, in Nigeria, OEM or manufacturer specific items may not be that easy to find hence the following questions
1) What engine oil to use. I know Mobil 1 but I have not seen any mineral oil of 0w-40, 5w-40 or even 10w-40. I know I should ordinarily use Mobil 1 0w-40 but because of the high mileage of the car 210,000, some are speculating that the oil will be too thin for the engine due to the wear and tear it must have accumulated over time and as a result, leakages will occur. Is there any truth to this or can I just go ahead and use Mobil 1 0w-40. If I cant use Mobil 1, whats the next best available oil for me to use.

2) What coolant to use? This was another controversial topic and I would like to learn from my Seniors in the W202 family what is good enough to run my baby.

3) How often to replace the coolant

4) What brake fluid to use and how often to change it?

5) What steering fluid to use and how often to change it?

6) What Automatic Transmission Fluid to use and how often to change it? (mine is a manual transmission though)

7) What spark plugs to use and how often to change them. Also, what can be used if OEM plugs cannot be found? Can autolite plugs serve as a replacement?

8 ) How often should the MAF be cleaned or changed

9) How often should the fuel filter be changed

10) How often should the throttle body/actuator be cleaned/changed.

11) What are the recommended tire sizes and PSI

12) Anything else I may have left out that is important.

PLEASE NOTE, I LIVE IN BENIN.
Thanks."

Thanks Ziccoit, I hope our seniors will share their wealth of experience with us so we can start on sure footing.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mex551(m): 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2013
Good afternoon gentlemen, I love the contributions in this forum. May God bless u all. Reading through all this post would certainly add to ones experience about mercedez. To be frank, I did not know much about Mercedes before now. Two weeks ago, I bought a class c240 espirit 2001 model, honestly before then, I didn't know that it has 12 plugs,, though the mechanic said its 6 cylinder. It's my first merc. Experience and am enjoying the ride. Reading through all most all these post, I hardly see anyone talk about c240 2001 model and even on the streets of Benin where I live, c240 is rare. Au.hanson and other gurus in the house, can some one tell me about the issues with c240 and other things that might be of help to me. Thanks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/973601/reliability-mercedes-benz-c240-c320

mex551: Good afternoon gentlemen, I love the contributions in this forum. May God bless u all. Reading through all this post would certainly add to ones experience about mercedez. To be frank, I did not know much about Mercedes before now. Two weeks ago, I bought a class c240 espirit 2001 model, honestly before then, I didn't know that it has 12 plugs,, though the mechanic said its 6 cylinder. It's my first merc. Experience and am enjoying the ride. Reading through all most all these post, I hardly see anyone talk about c240 2001 model and even on the streets of Benin where I live, c240 is rare. Au.hanson and other gurus in the house, can some one tell me about the issues with c240 and other things that might be of help to me. Thanks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 15, 2013
Some History for the newcomers know what you're driving

[b]Mercedes-Benz (mɛʁˈtseːdəs ˈbɛnts) is a multinational division of the German manufacturer Daimler AG, and the brand is used for automobiles, buses, coaches, and trucks. Mercedes-Benz is headquartered in Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. The name first appeared in 1926 under Daimler-Benz but traces its origins to Daimler's 1901 Mercedes and to Karl Benz's 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen, widely regarded as the first automobile. Mercedes-Benz traces its origins to Karl Benz's creation of the first petrol-powered car, the Benz Patent Motorwagen, patented in January 1886 and Gottlieb Daimler and engineer Wilhelm Maybach's conversion of a stagecoach by the addition of a petrol engine later that year. The Mercedes automobile was first marketed in 1901 by Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft. The first Mercedes-Benz brand name vehicles were produced in 1926, following the merger of Karl Benz's and Gottlieb Daimler's companies into the Daimler-Benz company. Mercedes-Benz has introduced many technological and safety innovations that later became common in other vehicles. Mercedes-Benz is one of the most well-known and established automotive brands in the world, and is also the world's oldest automotive brand still in existence today. For information relating to the famous three-pointed star, see under the title Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft including the merger into Daimler-Benz. As part of the Daimler AG company, the Mercedes-Benz Cars division includes Mercedes-Benz, Smart and Maybach car production.[/b]

http://en.inforapid.org/index.php?search=Mercedes-Benz%20M111%20engine
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 15, 2013
THE W202 C CLASS-KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DRIVING

The Mercedes-Benz C-Class is a compact executive car produced by the Mercedes-Benz division of Daimler AG. First introduced in 1993 as a replacement for the 190 range (W201, also nicknamed “Baby-Benz”), the C-Class was the smallest model in the marque's lineup until the 1997 arrival of the A-Class. The C-Class is built at Mercedes-Benz factories in Sindelfingen and Bremen, Germany as well as in Mercedes' factories in Brazil and Daimler AG's South African factory in East London. The very first W202 C-Class sedan was produced on June 1, 1993, and the second generation W202 C-Class rolled off the assembly line on July 18, 2000. The most recent fourth generation W204 C-Class was launched in 2007 after the success of the third generation W203 offered from 2000 to 2007. The C-Class is the entry-level offering in Mercedes-Benz's United States lineup. The C-Class platform has been used for several coupes, including the CLC-Class (and its predecessor, the C-Class Sportcoupe), the E-class Coupe (and its predecessor, the CLK-Class), and again for the 2012 model year with the C-Class coupe. In October 1986, three years into W201 (190)'s production run, work began on a successor. Design work began in 1987, with final design likely being selected in 1988 or 1989, then patented on December 19, 1990. In May 1993, the first generation W202 C-Class was introduced as a replacement for the 190. The C-Class sedan was the company's entry-level model up until 1997, when Mercedes launched the A-Class.
http://en.inforapid.org/index.php?search=Mercedes-Benz%20M111%20engine

the c class came into conception in 1986 7years before its first production....hence guys you're not driving a MISTAKE grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2013
That's all I cld achieve with a full tank of fuel on city drive.... 306miles.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
Gee2728: That's all I cld achieve with a full tank of fuel on city drive.... 306miles.

i'm not sure I can achieve 306 miles wit my w203 but i'm gonna give a trial. truth is... I don't bother myself much bout mpg. I won't have bought a v6 benz if I was much concerned bout mpg. nevertheless, it will be nice to know if my ride is actually performing optimally... mpg wise.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 11:23am On Nov 16, 2013
danadam:

i'm not sure I can achieve 306 miles wit my w203 but i'm gonna give a trial. truth is... I don't bother myself much bout mpg. I won't have bought a v6 benz if I was much concerned bout mpg. nevertheless, it will be nice to know if my ride is actually performing optimally... mpg wise.

I guess we are on same page brother. I jst pray for the will 2 fill it up when its down.

Achieving such a number, I had 2 do boring grandma driving all through.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 12:24pm On Nov 16, 2013
My W203 dilemma
I had noticed that my C320 4matic driving shaft makes that dreaded knocking sound whenever i make a u-turn. I checked it up and discovered the left side shaft hose opened. Took it to the workshop and fixed the hose back after applying some grease for lubrication. checked it a month later and I discovered the same thing. The knocking sound had also increased so decided to change the two front shaft, that's when I got the shock... The two front shaft is gonna cost me 130k and it has to be ordered for from lagos. searched for it in kano but didn't get to see any. 130k no be small money ooh. will be glad if anyone out here can help me confirm the price in his locality. the car is a 2005 C320 4matic.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 16, 2013
wow okay I will give you some one's number in Lagos but can't/don't want to post it here without his permission....but I'd send it to you if you can post your email/fone here

danadam: My W203 dilemma
I had noticed that my C320 4matic driving shaft makes that dreaded knocking sound whenever i make a u-turn. I checked it up and discovered the left side shaft hose opened. Took it to the workshop and fixed the hose back after applying some grease for lubrication. checked it a month later and I discovered the same thing. The knocking sound had also increased so decided to change the two front shaft, that's when I got the shock... The two front shaft is gonna cost me 130k and it has to be ordered for from lagos. searched for it in kano but didn't get to see any. 130k no be small money ooh. will be glad if anyone out here can help me confirm the price in his locality. the car is a 2005 C320 4matic.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 12:57pm On Nov 16, 2013
[quote author=smartchoice]wow okay I will give you some one's number in Lagos but can't/don't want to post it here without his permission....but I'd send it to you if you can post your email/fone here

080********
Thanks alot
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 16, 2013
Gee2728: That's all I cld achieve with a full tank of fuel on city drive.... 306miles.

@Gee2728 I don't think anything is wrong with your car given the following stats and review by a user of c230

1997 C230 Fuel Economy...

What surprised me is that the 1997 C230 has equal or better economy than the Honda Accord Hybrid (25 mpg), Toyota Matrix (26), Acura RSX (26), and Honda Civic (26) and has darn close economy compared to Mazda 3 (27), Toyota Celica (28) and Toyota Corolla (29). I think, though, that most of these run on regaular unleaded, rather than the high test, expensive stuff the Mercedes requires.

I drive the piss out of the C230, mostly in urban and suburban conditions with maybe 20% highway. Today, on Winter blend fuel, I put in 15.17 gallons to cover 395 miles. That's 26 miles per gallon. On Summer blend it's slightly better. On a pure highway, cruise set on 70, trip I once went almost 600 miles on just over 15 gallons. That's almost 40 mpg. (Keep in mind about this figure that, with the high final drive ratio, anything over about 70 really cuts into efficiency).

Not the smoothest bugger out there, but relatively powerful and DARN efficient!

Source: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/117054-1997-c230-fuel-economy.html

Based on your estimates of 306miles to a full tank assuming like3- 5litres was still remaining in your tank….hence we work with 60 litres as full tank, then you have your calculated fuel data below:

litre per 100 km (l/100km) 12.43

km per litre (km/l) 8.047

mile per British gallon (mpg) 22.73
British gallon per 100 miles 4.399
mile per litre 5
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 16, 2013
also edmunds gives the American mpg of your car as 20city/23combined/28hwy

see: http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/c-class/1998/mpg.html?style=9032
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 2:12pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: wow okay I will give you some one's number in Lagos but can't/don't want to post it here without his permission....but I'd send it to you if you can post your email/fone here

thought BMW was more costly to maintain
smiley
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by femionasan(m): 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2013
I follow this thread religiously and it is quite informative, just noticed that there are hardly any W204 users on here, in any case I would like to talk about one particular problem anyone planning to buy 2008-2010 W204 should expect. In some Benz forums online it is quite common to hear of an owner parking his/her car at the mall, work, home anywhere, when the owner gets back to the car opens the doors with the remote control, step into your ride slot the key in the ignition and turn it and bam!!! Nothing happens, steering is locked, dashboard lights dont come on, nothing. What has happened here is that the Electronic Steering lock (ESL) or the Electronic ignition system (EIS) has packed up. The best option to remedy this problem here in Nigeria is to go to a reputable Benz dealer and it could take a 4-6weeks to order the parts and receive them, pls note that this part can only and I mean only be sourced directly from MB in Germany through a dealer in Nigeria replacing it with a used part will not work cos the EIS and the ESL are programmed solely for that particular car. I still have mine with MB place in Lekki and I spent a ton of money prior to taking it there with so called Benz experts saying all sorts and collecting money with no solution. If Any W204 user has this problem, my advice to you is to look for a Benz dealership that has direct access to order parts from MB Germany. I will post some of the things I found out about ordering these parts and why it takes so long to get them later.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
yungboss:
thought BMW was more costly to maintain
smiley

An equivalent of a 2005 C class 4matic..... grin grin grin next time don't stray into the MB thread

If you want value, don't buy a BMW, lease it instead

By hmellem on 03/21/13 11:32 AM (PDT)
Vehicle
2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M) 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Review
I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005. It ran great the first 4 years without many problems. Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south. My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds. I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it. Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time. Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse grin shocked sad. Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair. It never was.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/2005/consumer-reviews.html?style=100467104&sorting=CREATION_DATE
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 6:16pm On Nov 16, 2013
femionasan: I follow this thread religiously and it is quite informative, just noticed that there are hardly any W204 users on here, in any case I would like to talk about one particular problem anyone planning to buy 2008-2010 W204 should expect. In some Benz forums online it is quite common to hear of an owner parking his/her car at the mall, work, home anywhere, when the owner gets back to the car opens the doors with the remote control, step into your ride slot the key in the ignition and turn it and bam!!! Nothing happens, steering is locked, dashboard lights dont come on, nothing. What has happened here is that the Electronic Steering lock (ESL) or the Electronic ignition system (EIS) has packed up. The best option to remedy this problem here in Nigeria is to go to a reputable Benz dealer and it could take a 4-6weeks to order the parts and receive them, pls note that this part can only and I mean only be sourced directly from MB in Germany through a dealer in Nigeria replacing it with a used part will not work cos the EIS and the ESL are programmed solely for that particular car. I still have mine with MB place in Lekki and I spent a ton of money prior to taking it there with so called Benz experts saying all sorts and collecting money with no solution. If Any W204 user has this problem, my advice to you is to look for a Benz dealership that has direct access to order parts from MB Germany. I will post some of the things I found out about ordering these parts and why it takes so long to get them later.
noted sir...for one like me who wishes to go back...does anyone here use a c209,clk 430 to be precise. A friend of mine wants to know who drives one and fetch an info from them.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jonaboy: 7:37pm On Nov 16, 2013
My bosses I must congratulate you all for the info you have been giving here.Just bought a 1996 W202 C200 hope to really enjoy using it, all that have seen it said I have gotten a very good car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by benz1x: 10:05pm On Nov 16, 2013
kuntash:

Hydraulic Fluid is any Good DOT-4 (must be DOT4, else u are on ur own)

For plugs, see below...

GPSERIES PLUG BKR5EGP NGK7090
IXIRIDIUM PLUG BKR5EIX NGK6341
STANDARD PLUG BKR5ES NGK2460
VPOWER PLUG BKR5E NGK7938

For Lubricant- Engine oil, patronize 5w-40 , 10w-40 synthetic engine oils, ..... you can contact me if you need any of these..... even in Benin city

The yellow Coolant from Havoline is the recommended one, and I have checked all d while I used mine and was unable to find.... best bet for you is to use a condensed water from the home airconditioners ... ( i.e the water that comes from the AC) its better than most coolants.

Lest I 4get.... NEVER, NEVER. I MEAN NNNNNEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRR... allow any incompetent electrician to mess up that car by attempting to bypass any connection..

Thank you so much for your response.

I think they already bypassed the fan. The fan comes on immediately I start the car. I will have it reverted to factory settings at the end of the month.

I have seen 0w-40 (Mobil 1) and 5w-40 (Total) but I havent seen 10w-40 anywhere.

Also, in reference to the condensed water, do you mean condensed water from the AC alone, or mixed with coolant? I thought the whole idea of the coolant is to lubricate the water pump (to prevent rust) and also raise the boiling point of the water?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 12:12pm On Nov 17, 2013
smartchoice:

@Gee2728 I don't think anything is wrong with your car given the following stats and review by a user of c230

1997 C230 Fuel Economy...

What surprised me is that the 1997 C230 has equal or better economy than the Honda Accord Hybrid (25 mpg), Toyota Matrix (26), Acura RSX (26), and Honda Civic (26) and has darn close economy compared to Mazda 3 (27), Toyota Celica (28) and Toyota Corolla (29). I think, though, that most of these run on regaular unleaded, rather than the high test, expensive stuff the Mercedes requires.

I drive the piss out of the C230, mostly in urban and suburban conditions with maybe 20% highway. Today, on Winter blend fuel, I put in 15.17 gallons to cover 395 miles. That's 26 miles per gallon. On Summer blend it's slightly better. On a pure highway, cruise set on 70, trip I once went almost 600 miles on just over 15 gallons. That's almost 40 mpg. (Keep in mind about this figure that, with the high final drive ratio, anything over about 70 really cuts into efficiency).

Not the smoothest bugger out there, but relatively powerful and DARN efficient!

Source: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/117054-1997-c230-fuel-economy.html

Based on your estimates of 306miles to a full tank assuming like3- 5litres was still remaining in your tank….hence we work with 60 litres as full tank, then you have your calculated fuel data below:

litre per 100 km (l/100km) 12.43

km per litre (km/l) 8.047

mile per British gallon (mpg) 22.73
British gallon per 100 miles 4.399
mile per litre 5

Tnx 4 the break down brother. Actually was jst doing a reality check on the car was nt suspicious of any abnormality.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
benz1x:

Thank you so much for your response.

I think they already bypassed the fan. The fan comes on immediately I start the car. I will have it reverted to factory settings at the end of the month.

I have seen 0w-40 (Mobil 1) and 5w-40 (Total) but I havent seen 10w-40 anywhere.

Also, in reference to the condensed water, do you mean condensed water from the AC alone, or mixed with coolant? I thought the whole idea of the coolant is to lubricate the water pump (to prevent rust) and also raise the boiling point of the water?

Thanks.

There is 10w-40 weight spec for lubricants if thats what u want.

I understand the condensed water from the AC seem to have a higher boiling point.....

I didnt want to use the popular green coolant , and because I couldnt get the yellow coolant , I used ordinary water.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 3:15pm On Nov 18, 2013

almost 500km with a fuel tank of 62-65 litres, I think its very very fair.

its also good to note that whether its a V6 - C280 or a straight -4, the diff between them in MPG are small.

just as I have stated in the BMW forum, same applies for 3.0 litre & 2.5 litre of BMW E46, you can seldom notice difference in their consumption ofcourse when everything works the way they should.

Moreso, our petrol here are of poor quality, if u wanna know, get a tokunbo ride thats never tasted naija fuel and take the fuel in the tank for lab test... u would know what I am talking..

the problem of most Benz as from w202 is that most of its emission and combustion systems are vacuum dependent, and as the car goes old, these tubes, hoses tend to degrade and thus causing a leak.. sometimes these could pose a big challenge whilst tracing the cause of your leak.

however, when the system is really air-tight with no single leak, you can achieve good fuel-mileage that can even surpass many Asian cars.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 7:48am On Nov 19, 2013
@Eyop, Smartchoice, Kuntash, benz1x, aikerism, jahjehova, Gee2728, au.hanson and others too numerous to mention here; thank you all for the well wishes and encouragement.

When I finally got delivery of my car, I noticed the following.

1. Coolant, Brake, engine oil and windshield washer low fluid lights as well as ABS and brake pad lights were on when I start the engine. Making the instrument cluster looked like Christmas tree.

2. The Odometer, temp gauge, tachometer and speedometer were not functioning.

3. The automatic climate control unit is not working

4. The coolant fan starts running immediately the carb is on.

5. I saw a can of Dextron III ATF fluid in the boot. When I contacted him; he said he actually put the oil into the transmission! Harshhhhhh embarassed embarassed . The transmission runs fine, very smooth but I need to drain it before it starts causing damages.

So far, I have been able to solve problem 1 & 2 by removing the instrument cluster. I gently cleaned the pins and everything backed to normal. A "rewire" I called to look into this said I should not bother that "everything will later go". Lol! Clown.

3&4 may be related. I need to change the automatic climate control unit and reprogram it for my car model.

for 5, I have to park the car looking for the recommended MB transmission fluid.

Please house.

Where can I get the recommended MB ATF fluid and how much. Remember mine is 5-SP. I got to know that the fluid should meet MB 236.10 spec sheet. I will need 7.5L

Where can I get automatic climate control unit and how much? I know how to reprogram the stuff to meet my car model.

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:58am On Nov 19, 2013
ziccoit:

Where can I get the recommended MB ATF fluid and how much. Remember mine is 5-SP. I got to know that the fluid should meet MB 236.10 spec sheet. I will need 7.5L

Thank you all.

Check for Genuine Toyota ATF, its usually dextron-IV.... I am sure the spec would fit the c-class tranny

moreso, Benz says the ATF from factory is designed to die with the car or tranny- i.e , lifetime ...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 8:19am On Nov 19, 2013
ziccoit: @Eyop, Smartchoice, Kuntash, benz1x, aikerism, jahjehova, Gee2728, au.hanson and others too numerous to mention here; thank you all for the well wishes and encouragement.

When I finally got delivery of my car, I noticed the following.

1. Coolant, Brake, engine oil and windshield washer low fluid lights as well as ABS and brake pad lights were on when I start the engine. Making the instrument cluster looked like Christmas tree.

2. The Odometer, temp gauge, tachometer and speedometer were not functioning.

3. The automatic climate control unit is not working

4. The coolant fan starts running immediately the carb is on.

5. I saw a can of Dextron III ATF fluid in the boot. When I contacted him; he said he actually put the oil into the transmission! Harshhhhhh embarassed embarassed . The transmission runs fine, very smooth but I need to drain it before it starts causing damages.

So far, I have been able to solve problem 1 & 2 by removing the instrument cluster. I gently cleaned the pins and everything backed to normal. A "rewire" I called to look into this said I should not bother that "everything will later go". Lol! Clown.

3&4 may be related. I need to change the automatic climate control unit and reprogram it for my car model.

for 5, I have to park the car looking for the recommended MB transmission fluid.

Please house.

Where can I get automatic climate control unit and how much? I know how to reprogram the stuff to meet my car model.

Thank you all.

Benz branded ATF is sold at almost every corner in kaduna. Its so easy 2 get down here. It cost 1K8 for 2 litre.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Zeroid105: 11:17am On Nov 19, 2013
kuntash:

almost 500km with a fuel tank of 62-65 litres, I think its very very fair.

its also good to note that whether its a V6 - C280 or a straight -4, the diff between them in MPG are small.

just as I have stated in the BMW forum, same applies for 3.0 litre & 2.5 litre of BMW E46, you can seldom notice difference in their consumption ofcourse when everything works the way they should.

Moreso, our petrol here are of poor quality, if u wanna know, get a tokunbo ride thats never tasted naija fuel and take the fuel in the tank for lab test... u would know what I am talking..

the problem of most Benz as from w202 is that most of its emission and combustion systems are vacuum dependent, and as the car goes old, these tubes, hoses tend to degrade and thus causing a leak.. sometimes these could pose a big challenge whilst tracing the cause of your leak.

however, when the system is really air-tight with no single leak, you can achieve good fuel-mileage that can even surpass many Asian cars.
Fibre and plastic materials on post early/mid 90's german vehicles are made to expire within shorter periods compared to those used by asian vehicle manufacturers. Similar trend is obtained on electronics. The german plastic/rubber become brittle as it ages. The manufacturers of these components actually stamp the dates on these parts as a guide. Performance critical components as vaccum hoses, coolant hoses, pipes and seals fall in these category. Hence the reason for complains from many owners of german cars(in the aforementioned category). The competence level of our Naija techs is another horror. This is futher compounded if the vehicle owner does not know JACK about his/her car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
Gee2728:

Benz branded ATF is sold at almost every corner in kaduna. Its so easy 2 get down here. It cost 1K8 for 2 litre.

Great. Where are they sold in Kaduna? Filling stations or vehicle parts shops?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jonaboy: 7:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
Gee2728:

. Please can you give me a specific place to get it in KD, I live in KD and would be glad to know where I can get it,thanks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 10:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
jonaboy: . Please can you give me a specific place to get it in KD, I live in KD and would be glad to know where I can get it,thanks.

In the main central area of town 'ore okpata'

Just take that kastina round-about and drive in.

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.