Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (967556 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 10:34pm On Nov 19, 2013
ziccoit:

Great. Where are they sold in Kaduna? Filling stations or vehicle parts shops?

If you in the central market area, jst ask a bike man 2 take u 2 'ore okpata'. Virtually any shop with the benz logo should have it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jonaboy: 11:40am On Nov 20, 2013
Gee2728:

If you in the central market area, jst ask a bike man 2 take u 2 'ore okpata'. Virtually any shop with the benz logo should have it.
. Grateful for the info
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by akapolo: 10:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
ultimate oloye

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 5:01am On Nov 21, 2013
Zeroid105:
Fibre and plastic materials on post early/mid 90's german vehicles are made to expire within shorter periods compared to those used by asian vehicle manufacturers. Similar trend is obtained on electronics. The german plastic/rubber become brittle as it ages. The manufacturers of these components actually stamp the dates on these parts as a guide. Performance critical components as vaccum hoses, coolant hoses, pipes and seals fall in these category. Hence the reason for complains from many owners of german cars(in the aforementioned category). The competence level of our Naija techs is another horror. This is futher compounded if the vehicle owner does not know JACK about his/her car.

you are spot on bro.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by benz1x: 8:56am On Nov 21, 2013
kuntash:

There is 10w-40 weight spec for lubricants if thats what u want.

I understand the condensed water from the AC seem to have a higher boiling point.....

I didnt want to use the popular green coolant , and because I couldnt get the yellow coolant , I used ordinary water.

Ok thanks. I appreciate your input.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:34am On Nov 21, 2013
ziccoit: @Eyop, Smartchoice, Kuntash, benz1x, aikerism, jahjehova, Gee2728, au.hanson and others too numerous to mention here; thank you all for the well wishes and encouragement.

When I finally got delivery of my car, I noticed the following.

1. Coolant, Brake, engine oil and windshield washer low fluid lights as well as ABS and brake pad lights were on when I start the engine. Making the instrument cluster looked like Christmas tree.

2. The Odometer, temp gauge, tachometer and speedometer were not functioning.

3. The automatic climate control unit is not working

4. The coolant fan starts running immediately the carb is on.

5. I saw a can of Dextron III ATF fluid in the boot. When I contacted him; he said he actually put the oil into the transmission! Harshhhhhh embarassed embarassed . The transmission runs fine, very smooth but I need to drain it before it starts causing damages.

So far, I have been able to solve problem 1 & 2 by removing the instrument cluster. I gently cleaned the pins and everything backed to normal. A "rewire" I called to look into this said I should not bother that "everything will later go". Lol! Clown.

3&4 may be related. I need to change the automatic climate control unit and reprogram it for my car model.

for 5, I have to park the car looking for the recommended MB transmission fluid.

Please house.

Where can I get the recommended MB ATF fluid and how much. Remember mine is 5-SP. I got to know that the fluid should meet MB 236.10 spec sheet. I will need 7.5L

Where can I get automatic climate control unit and how much? I know how to reprogram the stuff to meet my car model.

Thank you all.
All i can say is congrats bros , and very happy too that you have been able to sort out issues yourself(DIY).
Enjoy your performer mix with efficiency.
cheers
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 10:46am On Nov 21, 2013
Gee2728: That's all I cld achieve with a full tank of fuel on city drive.... 306miles.

Gee, this is good enough for a c230 almost 500km on a full tank, waoh! Never you complain of mpg anymore.

What did you do to achieve this?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 11:50am On Nov 21, 2013
Gee2728:

Thanks chief. I am not living in Kaduna. I stay in Osogbo, Osun state. I will soon start going round the spare parts sellers in my neighbourhood to look out for the atf.

BTW, how much is a gallon (4L) of synthetic mobil 1? A mobil filling station in my area called it N8,500 flat rate.

I am going to need 6.2L here.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2013
au.hanson:

All i can say is congrats bros , and very happy too that you have been able to sort out issues yourself(DIY).
Enjoy your performer mix with efficiency.
cheers

Chief au.hanson. You are welcomed back to the house. You're very right

This is what the owner manual says about the fuel consumption (L/100km) :

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ican2020: 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2013
This is a great thread and I appreciate the great comments I have gone through so far.

Hence, I am asking for help.

Please, what oil will you guys recommend for Benz 300E.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 1:51pm On Nov 21, 2013
ican2020: This is a great thread and I appreciate the great comments I have gone through so far.

Hence, I am asking for help.

Please, what oil will you guys recommend for Benz 300E.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thats the old reliable W124 I guess... the best Mercedes models ever..

bro, if u can get 15w-40, it would be fine depending on how solid the engine is, but as you know, that car fit senior many people with access to the internet today... (1985 - 1996)

I wouldn't mind a good brand of semi- synthetic though
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ican2020: 2:11pm On Nov 21, 2013
kuntash:
Thats the old reliable W124 I guess... the best Mercedes models ever..
bro, if u can get 15w-40, it would be fine depending on how solid the engine is, but as you know, that car fit senior many people with access to the internet today... (1985 - 1996)
I wouldn't mind a good brand of semi- synthetic though

Thanks for the response.

The car is old but it has strong engine and great body and I love it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
ican2020:

Thanks for the response.

The car is old but it has strong engine and great body and I love it.

its a fantastic ride...

is it a straight-4 or 6 engine?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2013
kuntash:

Hydraulic Fluid is any Good DOT-4 (must be DOT4, else u are on ur own)

For plugs, see below...

GPSERIES PLUG BKR5EGP NGK7090
IXIRIDIUM PLUG BKR5EIX NGK6341
STANDARD PLUG BKR5ES NGK2460
VPOWER PLUG BKR5E NGK7938

For Lubricant- Engine oil, patronize 5w-40 , 10w-40 synthetic engine oils, ..... you can contact me if you need any of these..... even in Benin city

The yellow Coolant from Havoline is the recommended one, and I have checked all d while I used mine and was unable to find.... best bet for you is to use a condensed water from the home airconditioners ... ( i.e the water that comes from the AC) its better than most coolants.

Lest I 4get.... NEVER, NEVER. I MEAN NNNNNEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRR... allow any incompetent electrician to mess up that car by attempting to bypass any connection..

Uncle kuntash u wia responding to another member with the above... And

"What engine oil to use. I know Mobil 1 but I have not seen any mineral oil of 0w-40, 5w-40 or even 10w-40. I know I should ordinarily use Mobil 1 0w-40 but because of the high mileage of the car 210,000, some are speculating that the oil will be too thin for the engine due to the wear and tear it must have accumulated over time and as a result, leakages will occur. Is there any truth to this or can I just go ahead and use Mobil 1 0w-40. If I cant use Mobil 1, whats the next best available oil for me to use."

Oga Zic you quoted someone who had some questions... One thing I want to ask is is 0w-40 okay for engines that have done over 200k odometer reading? Cos I have just been seeing 5w, 10wn and 15w-40 in the last 2 pages...

BenZ for Ever cool
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ican2020: 5:17pm On Nov 21, 2013
kuntash:

its a fantastic ride...

is it a straight-4 or 6 engine?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
For now I always refill my tank whenever it gets to half... But I am going to travel to the eastern part of the country soon so I will see how much I can cover with a full tank (in km).
This pics show + or - how my consumption has been since I started caring to notice...

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:27pm On Nov 21, 2013
Last weekend I decided to take the cleaning business a lil more personal angry
I took it all apart to get into the never cleaned areas just so my baby will be clean in and out... It was scary and fun at the same time wink

The pics r refusing to upload... angry
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:07am On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

Uncle kuntash u wia responding to another member with the above... And

"What engine oil to use. I know Mobil 1 but I have not seen any mineral oil of 0w-40, 5w-40 or even 10w-40. I know I should ordinarily use Mobil 1 0w-40 but because of the high mileage of the car 210,000, some are speculating that the oil will be too thin for the engine due to the wear and tear it must have accumulated over time and as a result, leakages will occur. Is there any truth to this or can I just go ahead and use Mobil 1 0w-40. If I cant use Mobil 1, whats the next best available oil for me to use."

Oga Zic you quoted someone who had some questions... One thing I want to ask is is 0w-40 okay for engines that have done over 200k odometer reading? Cos I have just been seeing 5w, 10wn and 15w-40 in the last 2 pages...

BenZ for Ever cool

Yes, weak engine can be susceptible to oil escape from the rings,

there are various oil weights and viscosity, there are several topics/threads relating to oil use on Auto section in nairaland... I wouldn't want to say something here on Mercedes Benz thread now and my oga @ the top would say a different one... grin

bottom line however, is most car manufacturers prefer the use of synthetic lubricants... and if I must say, our popular mobil-1 marketed in naija here are not same as what u get in yankee, both in packaging and quality.

Mercedes benz (W202- C-CLASS - 1993-2000) for All TEMPS .. These oil weights/spec are valid 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50, 10w-40.

for me, I prefer 10w-40 , or 5w-40 fully synthetic or semi-synthetic.

This place is not for Advert, but u can check some of my other posts regards some excellent synthetic brands... or u do me an email....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:45am On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism: Last weekend I decided to take the cleaning business a lil more personal angry
I took it all apart to get into the never cleaned areas just so my baby will be clean in and out... It was scary and fun at the same time wink

The pics r refusing to upload... angry

hello bros, I am worried about your running temperature, or was this pic taken when the engine was cool?

mine usually took + or - 5mins to get to the half mark (i.e 87- 91 degrees centigrade)

even @ that temperature the RPM should be higher than that, that's how its designed...

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 9:53am On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism: For now I always refill my tank whenever it gets to half... But I am going to travel to the eastern part of the country soon so I will see how much I can cover with a full tank (in km).
This pics show + or - how my consumption has been since I started caring to notice...

Looking at the first pics on your post, i can say that your car idling is relatively low. I stand to be corrected though
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 10:36am On Nov 22, 2013
kuntash:

hello bros, I am worried about your running temperature, or was this pic taken when the engine was cool?

mine usually took + or - 5mins to get to the half mark (i.e 87- 91 degrees centigrade)

even @ that temperature the RPM should be higher than that, that's how its designed...

Uncle Kuntash, truth is I have had this car for 11 months now and it has NEVER gotten to 40 something degrees before its always between 18 and 30 something... Don't know if its a fault or its normal.
I do know dat it came with a very small radiator which was replaced with a bigger one. I have never had any over heating issues as I use the A.C 98% of the time.
I changed my water pump in august this year cos I noticed the collant level was droping constantly.
I use ordinarily distilled water in it and all seems well. I have done north to east travels and back more than 5 times since I got her and all seems pretty okay.
What do you think?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 10:42am On Nov 22, 2013
inze:

Looking at the first pics on your post, i can say that your car idling is relatively low. I stand to be corrected though

Yes its low... But I though that's supposed to be a good thing. As long as d vehicle doesn't go off and all that.
I clean my throttle body frequently so that I don't get rough idling...
Also dat pic was taken with the A.C on, if I turn it off it will move up just a lil bit. cool
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 10:50am On Nov 22, 2013
kuntash:

That 1st pic showing 32 was taken at 4pm when I have done a lot moving around while the second pic showing 23 was taken in the morning traffic 7:55am on my way to work... undecided
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:01am On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 11:10am On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

Uncle Kuntash, truth is I have had this car for 11 months now and it has NEVER gotten to 40 something degrees before its always between 18 and 30 something... Don't know if its a fault or its normal.
I do know dat it came with a very small radiator which was replaced with a bigger one. I have never had any over heating issues as I use the A.C 98% of the time.
I changed my water pump in august this year cos I noticed the collant level was droping constantly.
I use ordinarily distilled water in it and all seems well. I have done north to east travels and back more than 5 times since I got her and all seems pretty okay.
What do you think?

aikerism:

Yes its low... But I though that's supposed to be a good thing. As long as d vehicle doesn't go off and all that.
I clean my throttle body frequently so that I don't get rough idling...
Also dat pic was taken with the A.C on, if I turn it off it will move up just a lil bit. cool

Be ready to change that engine soon when it eventually dies, aside rich running, if you keep running that engine in that temperature.

Ikenna
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 11:49am On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

That 1st pic showing 32 was taken at 4pm when I have done a lot moving around while the second pic showing 23 was taken in the morning traffic 7:55am on my way to work... undecided
do you still have thermostat in your car?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

What do you think?

I think the thermostat has been compromised... two things... , there are two brands OEM for that ride- WAHLER & BEHR,

as you know, thermostats are designed to fail in the open state.. i.e allowing water to flow thru all the time, no restriction, - such can lead to what u have.

secondly the thermostat must have been removed , by the person that sold you the car, whether dealer or whoever here in Naija, such can also lead to your scenario..

the first instance of failure is prone to the WAHLER brand of thermostat , and its the common one around....

I would advice you ask your mechanic to check if the thermostat is there, or failed..... in any case, do look for BEHR brand and put in there. its usually rated 87 or 91 degrees centigrade..

best of luck...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 12:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
kuntash:

I think the thermostat has been compromised... two things... , there are two brands OEM for that ride- WAHLER & BEHR,

as you know, thermostats are designed to fail in the open state.. i.e allowing water to flow thru all the time, no restriction, - such can lead to what u have.

secondly the thermostat must have been removed , by the person that sold you the car, whether dealer or whoever here in Naija, such can also lead to your scenario..

the first instance of failure is prone to the WAHLER brand of thermostat , and its the common one around....

I would advice you ask your mechanic to check if the thermostat is there, or failed..... in any case, do look for BEHR brand and put in there. its usually rated 87 or 91 degrees centigrade..

best of luck...

I have not checked the thermostat before... I will have it checked in the next hour and update the house... And pls this BEHR brand how much is it sold? Cos am heading to Apo Mechanic Village now now embarassed
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

I have not checked the thermostat before... I will have it checked in the next hour and update the house... And pls this BEHR brand how much is it sold? Cos am heading to Apo Mechanic Village now now embarassed

Abeg go oh make your engine no catch fire oh grin grin grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

I got a used one from toks engine when I had the need to replace mine... you can look thru my posts here on this thread, I am sure I could be replicating same thing...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
kuntash:

I got a used one from toks engine when I had the need to replace mine... you can look thru my posts here on this thread, I am sure I could be replicating same thing...

you can go thru pages 6, 7 & 8 on this same thread, I think I have documented my past experience with this thermostat stuff
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
aikerism:

I dont know about Benz, but below is how to test Peugeot cooling system Thermostat while its still in the system/engine. You may find it useful for your Benz.

http://peugeotarena.com/how-to-test-peugeot-engine-cooling-system-thermostat-while-its-still-in-engine/

Ikenna

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.