Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965509 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 4:36am On Nov 27, 2013
inze:

@kuntash

I have the wahler thermostat on a 1995 C180 Benz, though the fan comes on immediately at start-up I have never had an issue of over-heating, no matter how long am stuck in traffic. (AC always ON).

It's almost 5yrs and not a single overheat issue.

What's ur take on that?

Your setup is wrong. Iron and aluminium do not share the same coefficient of expansion.

kuntash:

^^^ that's where I have issue.

smthn is not right going by what u just said there.

the electric fan only should kick in

- when AC is turned on and engine already at running temp.
- when temp exceeds 100deg centigrade. it enters emergency mode and u would here a full blast of the fan.
- when your temp sensor is faulty and cannot tell the ecu the right temp, e.g when wires doesnt make contact etc....... bad wire harness .
- finally when our rewire must have bypassed the fan module and get power from your alternator.

Someone had altered the vehicle.

The thread is getting long. A lot of the issues are repetitive. Meanwhile, it's been answered in details. It'll be buried by page 100. I don't know if it makes sense to you; probably MB Thread II. The thread right above this is a typical complaint that has been addressed and would leave him empowered afterwards.

danadam: The pictures
pix 1 shows the new shaft purchased in lagos at a price of 130k and transportation expenses 5k totaling a sum of 135k.
pix 2.. The machanic trying to remove the old shaft
pix 3.. The culprit. The old driver side (left) shaft that makes the clicking sound
pix 4.. Checking out the alignment.

Hope you don't mind. I am just curious what required such a scale of repair. --- then again, I'm not surprised.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 8:14am On Nov 27, 2013
Trac:

Failed thermostat!

The answer has been thoroughly answered [earlier-on] in this thread.

In addition to what the thread reflects on your issue: check your tensioner. If it's weak, use a lower thermostat (that is 85degC). The service can be deferred for a few years (if it's not critical). I don't recommend this approach but it's best than service job improperly done.

@Trace, welcome back to the house. You said sometimes ago that the only reason you visit NL is because of mb thread. So, where were you all this time?

About the issue of thermostat, I'm already looking for a Behr 87degC thermostat. Can the fail thermostat explain why the radiator fan kicks in and stay on right from the first minute of starting the engine?
If yes, kindly take me through the theory. I need to learn something.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 9:23am On Nov 27, 2013
Eyop:

Chief your vehicle is superb i must confess wink

Thanks Uncle Eyop cool

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 9:49am On Nov 27, 2013
Welcome back Trac its been a while!
About the issue of thermostat, I'm already looking for a Behr 87degC thermostat. I am finding it difficult locating same as I hve combed the whole Gudu market here in Abuja yet no show? I will take my search to Apo mechanic village later today, hope to hit the thermojackpot there...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 10:37am On Nov 27, 2013
Trac:

Your setup is wrong. Iron and aluminium do not share the same coefficient of expansion.

Halos Trac, been a while, I have been out too... trust all is good with you..

aikerism: Welcome back Trac its been a while!
About the issue of thermostat, I'm already looking for a Behr 87degC thermostat. I am finding it difficult locating same as I hve combed the whole Gudu market here in Abuja yet no show? I will take my search to Apo mechanic village later today, hope to hit the thermojackpot there...

I see u are in Abuja... It was difficult getting Behr here in Lagos too, but was lucky with a thorough search @ Ladipo market.

one trick to bear in mind though if I may assume many parts sellers might not be too privy to this thread grin grin ... DO NOT LET THE SELLERS KNOW THE THERMOSTAT BRAND IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU, just tell them there is smthn you are looking for in the engine, with ur one eye looking for "BEHR" brand on many used engines displayed....

you sure would find one..
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 10:56am On Nov 27, 2013
Hope you don't mind. I am just curious what required such a scale of repair. --- then again, I'm not surprised.[/quote]

The drive shaft was making noise whenever the steering wheel was turned extensively. The noise was from the left side drive shaft. I discovered that the boot band (clip) was no longer holding the rubber boot (hose) in place. Sand, dust and water must have affected the components inside the rubber boot which resulted to the annoying clicking sound. I didn't want to have any broken drive shaft experience so I had to replaced immediately. Both sides drive shaft were replaced and the car now drives.... wow.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 12:04pm On Nov 27, 2013
Trac:

Someone had altered the vehicle.

The thread is getting long. A lot of the issues are repetitive. Meanwhile, it's been answered in details. It'll be buried by page 100. I don't know if it makes sense to you; probably MB Thread II. The thread right above this is a typical complaint that has been addressed and would leave him empowered afterwards.

Hope you don't mind. I am just curious what required such a scale of repair. --- then again, I'm not surprised.
that's true sir.
I have been following the rate at which pages aggregate, it exceeded the "Peugeot thread" at the 1,323rd post...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 12:45pm On Nov 27, 2013
Trac:

yungboss:
that's true sir.
I have been following the rate at which pages aggregate, it exceeded the "Peugeot thread" at the 1,323rd post...

Please, it's not allowed to break threads in Nairaland. That's the Admin decision. Some threads in other sections have exceeded 100 pages.

Besides, that one finds it difficult to learn or get solutions to his car issues by going through thread, from the first page, should be the members headache. Even when a student missed a lecture, he would not expect the lecturer to have another class on the same subject he taught in the previous day because a student was absent in his last lecture. The student have his classmates notes to read up on what what was taught in the previous class and keep himself/herself updated, even though questions could be entertained in the next lecture for more clarifications.

So let's leave the thread as it is.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 12:52am On Nov 28, 2013
ziccoit:
@Trace, welcome back to the house. You said sometimes ago that the only reason you visit NL is because of mb thread. So, where were you all this time?

About the issue of thermostat, I'm already looking for a Behr 87degC thermostat. Can the fail thermostat explain why the radiator fan kicks in and stay on right from the first minute of starting the engine?
If yes, kindly take me through the theory. I need to learn something.

I’ve been on NL (on other threads). I avoid interaction here to avoid conflicts and misunderstandings. It is not possible to avoid the two states mentioned with active participation. Checking-in every now-&-then is the best and there is peace. To avoid being a nuisance, this discretion was chosen. However, I wouldn’t mind withstanding the friction of conflict if a particular instance is termed critical and physical loss of property appears to be the next phase. That’s what got me started on this thread. So, I did not neglect the thread. I’m also not passionate about Mercedes as I was many years back. Nevertheless, it’s still a great rubber-tyre vehicle.

For the age of the vehicle, the hydraulic tensioner for the water pump has to be inspected. It’s a visual and tactile test and would require a trained person and it takes less than a minute. If it is okay, the 87degC thermostat would be best. The coolant has to be replaced as well. It is no good. If the tensioner is weakened, a lower temperature thermostat should be installed. An 84-85degC is what I will recommend as compensation for the mean-time. If you are skeptic, it will still get up 87degC but you only have a tighter “leash”; that is damage-control. It doesn’t eliminate the need for the required service but it buys time while the money is being quarantined and right person to carry the service is sought for. A point of caution is that this feedback is for Benz. Don’t apply this on another vehicle.

If you can’t find Behr, use another product. Don’t use a Wahler brand. Quality-Control of the Wahlers in application for Mercedes has led to unexpectations. They perform well on BMW’s, hence its OEM status. A golden rule is never to use an American part on a German vehicle (especially Benzes); they fail. The Japanese is an alternative but with discretion.

When posts are published, my goals are to make aware, enlighten and also empower. It’s always on purpose; thus, making the published post quantifiable. Earlier on in this thread, we went into details to create awareness. A bit difficult then because no one knew where I was coming from but the information got through. In two or three references, I used MBs official references. They are lengthy but very interactive. It is the grand-answer to your question because you will be empowered. You will not be tethered to anyone in this aspect. The third aspect to your question was answered by Kuntash. In other words, it was fashioned by the electrical technician. From what he disclosed, he simply undid everything and reverted to factory standard.

The link begins from here:

https://www.nairaland.com/520025/mercedes-benz-thread/4

Please, follow the interactive thread. It took time and co-operation. There are many pages but it will be worth it.

There are only three areas Nigerians (not just Nigerians) should concern themselves with Mercedes-ownership (post-war). That is cooling, lubrication and deposit-control. These are the only areas magnified. It becomes a matter when factory details are side-stepped. These areas have been well documented in this thread (with cost in mind) for general consumption. Understand, I’m not evading the core of your latter questions but referring you to where you will attain some measure of understanding. It is comprehensive with the goal that you don’t continuously work on your vehicle but have a dependable vehicle that gives a reasonable measure of reliability.

aikerism: Welcome back Trac its been a while!

How do you do?! If you cannot find the Behr brand, don’t waste your resources roaming around town; you aren’t being paid wasting your resource(s). Find an 87degC thermostat and you will be good. It is best to purchase two. Do not purchase an American thermostat and install it. Standards of specifications are different and the disturbing area of worry should be the failure state of the thermostat upon failure (if engine would be toasted or not – no pun intended). If Wahler is all you see, then go for it. You are aware of its unexpected failure potential, so the surprise element does not take advantage of you.

I'm not usurping the street-smart advice Kuntash responded with. I can imagine how that will be executed.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 1:07am On Nov 28, 2013
kuntash:

Halos Trac, been a while, I have been out too... trust all is good with you..

I see u are in Abuja... It was difficult getting Behr here in Lagos too, but was lucky with a thorough search @ Ladipo market.

one trick to bear in mind though if I may assume many parts sellers might not be too privy to this thread grin grin ... DO NOT LET THE SELLERS KNOW THE THERMOSTAT BRAND IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU, just tell them there is smthn you are looking for in the engine, with ur one eye looking for "BEHR" brand on many used engines displayed....

you sure would find one..

I’m doing well smiley smiley
Kind of you asking smiley

Kudos on how to cheat the laws of economics (demand versus supply).

danadam:
The drive shaft was making noise whenever the steering wheel was turned extensively. The noise was from the left side drive shaft. I discovered that the boot band (clip) was no longer holding the rubber boot (hose) in place. Sand, dust and water must have affected the components inside the rubber boot which resulted to the annoying clicking sound. I didn't want to have any broken drive shaft experience so I had to replaced immediately. Both sides drive shaft were replaced and the car now drives.... wow.

It’s not a drive shaft. It’s a constant-velocity axle. Drive shafts acts as a propeller. Did you keep the original part? What attracted my interest was quality. This is the first MB of that age that I’m knowing where such axle failed. As previously stated, I’m not surprised.

yungboss:
that's true sir.

That’s a lot. It’s fast becoming fragmented. It won’t take long before the objective is lost and a breeding ground for trolls. It’s amazing how it’s gotten this far and the Mercedes subsidiary has been the core of the thread with very vague references to AMG’s, Lorinser etc (which is understandable). As the intensity of this fragmentation becomes fierce, the active participants will lose interest and topics relating to Smarts and Chryslers becomes a possibility among other irrelevant topics. It only takes an inch and the damage is done if not corrected on time. I’m yet to find a thread that is so long that stuck to the original posters references. Sultaan once mentioned stickies. I’m not sure how the grand-administrator feels about this and the measures it will take to integrate it. I don’t know about you or others but repetitive questions/posts are mostly frowned at.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 1:14am On Nov 28, 2013
Ikenna351:
Please, it's not allowed to break threads in Nairaland. That's the Admin decision. Some threads in other sections have exceeded 100 pages.

Besides, that one finds it difficult to learn or get solutions to his car issues by going through thread, from the first page, should be the members headache. Even when a student missed a lecture, he would not expect the lecturer to have another class on the same subject he taught in the previous day because a student was absent in his last lecture. The student have his classmates notes to read up on what what was taught in the previous class and keep himself/herself updated, even though questions could be entertained in the next lecture for more clarifications.

So let's leave the thread as it is.

I wasn’t going to break the thread. The reason I appealed to Kuntash so that I don’t infringe on what he has started.

Your point about the student in reference is strongly stated and proves itself reasonably. To be fair, the dynamics however are not a total translation as the conditions presents itself (at least from a practical point-of-view). The thread is a blend of pragmatics and technical-related discussions for general interaction. Recently, it has gained more identification for its solution-based posts. Rummaging through 40+ pages for a trivial essential does not seem “sustainable.” Imagine sustainability at 200+ pages. This is the first thread after the fifth page and trending - that I have seen - that retains its original objective(s). Most thread lose their “salt” and deviation occurs. The volume of the thread is not what matters but how substantial it is. It's not just for us (those that have contributed) but for others that may stumble upon and need to make reference(s) in the possible future.

The law of diminishing return is fast catching up with the thread. The cues are the repetitive questions/answers that is gaining prominence [now] due to how cumbersome the thread is. Repetitive questions and [repetitive] answers make up a sizable cluster of this thread. To buttress, I’m referring to pages and not a few posts. This is not progress but motion. At what point is it clear the thread gets locked?! So far, it is approaching infinity. The nature of this thread cannot accommodate such. It will “jump-the-shark” (for lack of a better expression).

Maybe there is more to this that I am not seeing/understanding.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 11:42am On Nov 28, 2013
It’s not a drive shaft. It’s a constant-velocity
axle. Drive shafts acts as a propeller. Did you
keep the original part? What attracted my
interest was quality. This is the first MB of
that age that I’m knowing where such axle
failed. As previously stated, I’m not
surprised.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I kept the original part, the right side CV axle only. I felt there was no need keeping the left side CV axle which was faulty. You are not surprised! Sorry I don't get the message you're tryin to relay, Please kindy explain a little further.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
danadam: Thanks for the enlightenment. I kept the original part, the right side CV axle only. I felt there was no need keeping the left side CV axle which was faulty. You are not surprised! Sorry I don't get the message you're tryin to relay, Please kindy explain a little further.

Both parts ought to have been taken home. You can rebuild it (if it's not too damaged). At least, the base is original-equipment-manufactured. You simply use stronger replacement parts.

The part failure is something I've never seen in a Mercedes. I'm yet to hear or witness a velocity-axle replaced on any Mercedes Benz; and that's reflecting on Benzes with decades in age. The 2001+ generation of C Class is a notorious model when it comes to product quality. There are other issues that leaves one puzzled with this model and this gave me no surprise. It was an unwarranted repair (no matter what anybody says). There is an issue with the springs (rendering it unmovable) giving up or rusts in delicate areas. I usually don't recommend Benzes to my friends (except certain models).
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by danadam(m): 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2013
@Trac

Now I get your message. Next time i'm gonna take both parts home, though rebuilding this exact CV axle might be unsuccessful here where i reside. I doubt if our mechos have the technical knowledge of rebuilding such a sensitive part. However, there's no harm in trying so I will find out more about it. The New part replaced is also OEM, used one. At least it far better compare to any china brand New part, quality wise. Thanks for your time, I believe we all appreciate your efforts on the Mercedes thread.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 7:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
danadam: @Trac

Now I get your message. Next time i'm gonna take both parts home, though rebuilding this exact CV axle might be unsuccessful here where i reside. I doubt if our mechos have the technical knowledge of rebuilding such a sensitive part. However, there's no harm in trying so I will find out more about it. The New part replaced is also OEM, used one. At least it far better compare to any china brand New part, quality wise. Thanks for your time, I believe we all appreciate your efforts on the Mercedes thread.

You are welcome. Hopefully, you won't have to do such service in the future. A rule of thumb with your generation of Mercedes and newer: always store your old part (except it is unarguably junk). One: for reference and comparo; two: potential error-in-judgement(s). The second point is what I'll reference. Certain should not be replaced except it is completely "toast." If you replace such a part with the new one, it will not work; unless it is hard-coded to the vehicle with the Mercedes-handtool. Usually, parts are not to be removed in the first place without absolute certainty. This is because a reset will be required for certain conditions due to the nature. Problems multiply and in some cases, from unrelated areas. In an issue where the "violation" happened to be a part swap, simply revert to the original part taken out. Irritating enough is this approach to problem-solving and "they" got away with it. Now, piracy laws are being integrated into vehicles where you can't service it without proper authorisation, lest you'll be infringing on copyright and they are serious about it. They call it "the future." If I'm not wrong, its already in production.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
@Trace, I will look into the issue of constantly spinning radiator fan and failed thermostat. About the possibility of radiator fan electric being tampered with, I guess white people too have joined their Nigerian counterparts in the bussiness of wire bypass. Because, this vehicle has never being worked on in Africa.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Trac:

I wasn’t going to break the thread. The reason I appealed to Kuntash so that I don’t infringe on what he has started.

Maybe there is more to this that I am not seeing/understanding.

bro, there is no more or less to anything that u are not seeing. its a normal nairaland thread response pattern ..,

before this time, I could recall how much I advised the site owner, Seun, on the need to have seperate thread aside sell sell sell on auto section... alas, it came to existence... so I think we all should be happy to talk about how to use and repair and maintain the vehicle we must have bought from nairaland.

there are threads i have started that didnt pass more than one or two responses. mercedes benz has been a popular brand of car even in the days of our grand fathers, however, its maintenance appeared vague or complicated to many people.

and this thread came in when the relatively successful w202 became very popular in this part of the world, and remember also that this thread made a front page!

on the issue of repetitive queries and responses, it could be attributed to ur absence for a considerable period..... thus spot-on answers were scarce ..

again, the administrator wouldn't have issues redirecting the thread after a 99th page. so no worries.... I have seen it happen on the ever popular, "Real cost of building a six bedroom duplex" that was almost aired on CNN .... (I beg make una no quote me o .. Lol )

lastly, many of us like me arent that patient to read thru , thread by thread to get already answered queries, ......

nonetheless, I have gained immersely by way of this thread and has helped many even car and part dealers by way of it..

thanks alot Trac ...

@ all, attempt to go thru pages one to eight , its most likely u would find answers...especially for benz newbies
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 10:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
My A/c has been acting up for about 3days now. The air just keeps getting less and not cool by the day, so I took it for check and possibly a re-fill and the fellow showed me some greasy stuff around the a/c compressor meaning ' I got a leak'.

As to the solution, he said 2 me it has 2 be replaced so am asking the house if any1 has had a similar experience with a W202 b4 I go blow some hard earned cash on it. Tnx.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 6:55am On Nov 29, 2013
Gee2728: My A/c has been acting up for about 3days now. The air just keeps getting less and not cool by the day, so I took it for check and possibly a re-fill and the fellow showed me some greasy stuff around the a/c compressor meaning ' I got a leak'.

As to the solution, he said 2 me it has 2 be replaced so am asking the house if any1 has had a similar experience with a W202 b4 I go blow some hard earned cash on it. Tnx.

Been there, done that.

The "Greasy Stuff' indicates a leak and therefore needs to be replaced if UN-repairable. That depending on the area the leak is coming from, sometimes it might be a bad oil seal that needs replacement and otherwise from connecting hose and bolts joining the compressor.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:43am On Nov 29, 2013
Trac:

You are welcome. Hopefully, you won't have to do such service in the future. A rule of thumb with your generation of Mercedes and newer: always store your old part (except it is unarguably junk). One: for reference and comparo; two: potential error-in-judgement(s). The second point is what I'll reference. Certain should not be replaced except it is completely "toast." If you replace such a part with the new one, it will not work; unless it is hard-coded to the vehicle with the Mercedes-handtool. Usually, parts are not to be removed in the first place without absolute certainty. This is because a reset will be required for certain conditions due to the nature. Problems multiply and in some cases, from unrelated areas. In an issue where the "violation" happened to be a part swap, simply revert to the original part taken out. Irritating enough is this approach to problem-solving and "they" got away with it. Now, piracy laws are being integrated into vehicles where you can't service it without proper authorisation, lest you'll be infringing on copyright and they are serious about it. They call it "the future." If I'm not wrong, its already in production.

While Trac's response was targeted at the Mercedes Brand, it is a very good principle to take back your "bad" parts, because of the reasons he earlier gave, and to make matters worse, the repairman might even end up selling your part to you when you need it badly claiming it was disposed of, it has happened to me once and it can never happen to me again. This holds true for all brands.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 10:25pm On Nov 29, 2013
ziccoit: @Trace, I will look into the issue of constantly spinning radiator fan and failed thermostat. About the possibility of radiator fan electric being tampered with, I guess white people too have joined their Nigerian counterparts in the bussiness of wire bypass. Because, this vehicle has never being worked on in Africa.

Hmm - I guess there is some misunderstanding somewhere. Surely, I'm not on your page.

Give me your manufacturing model and region (from the tattoos (panel and gas door)). The "coolings" are different based on market. What is/are your vehicle's mannerism/s?

Another possibility could be that it was tinkered with before it got to you. In the interim, please, go through the details that have been logged on this thread. [This way] your understanding is primed as others chip in. The heat-transfer is dynamic.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
Mr Trac, welcome back.

I'm very pleased to welcome you back, though you haven't been responding to my referral, it's understood. It's difficult to resist nairaland, and MB thread in particular if you have Nigeria at heart; this is the mirror of naija people residing both home and abroad.

Once again,sincerely, you are welcome
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 11:23pm On Nov 29, 2013
kuntash:

bro, there is no more or less to anything that u are not seeing. its a normal nairaland thread response pattern ..,

before this time, I could recall how much I advised the site owner, Seun, on the need to have seperate thread aside sell sell sell on auto section... alas, it came to existence... so I think we all should be happy to talk about how to use and repair and maintain the vehicle we must have bought from nairaland.

there are threads i have started that didnt pass more than one or two responses. mercedes benz has been a popular brand of car even in the days of our grand fathers, however, its maintenance appeared vague or complicated to many people.

and this thread came in when the relatively successful w202 became very popular in this part of the world, and remember also that this thread made a front page!

on the issue of repetitive queries and responses, it could be attributed to ur absence for a considerable period..... thus spot-on answers were scarce ..

again, the administrator wouldn't have issues redirecting the thread after a 99th page. so no worries.... I have seen it happen on the ever popular, "Real cost of building a six bedroom duplex" that was almost aired on CNN .... (I beg make una no quote me o .. Lol )

lastly, many of us like me arent that patient to read thru , thread by thread to get already answered queries, ......

nonetheless, I have gained immersely by way of this thread and has helped many even car and part dealers by way of it..

thanks alot Trac ...

@ all, attempt to go thru pages one to eight , its most likely u would find answers...especially for benz newbies

Goodness! I will have to accept it as fact that organisation will not be a priority :-(
Well - I did not write the codes to NL neither did I beget it. I'll at least appreciate immediate notifications via e-mail upon response and an effective integrated PM. I will love to utilise PM's than sending personal e-mails.

It is true people will not go through "trailer-loads" of texts to sift what's necessary. It is very understandable. However, the purpose of publishing text on this thread is for everyone; not for the trending moment alone but future referencing as well. Then again, the limitations of this thread forbid easier references. Stickies would have resolved a lot of the undesired outcomes. This will avoid rummages. It will also resolve to near-zero the repetitive posts.

This thread is good. I would never have invested time into it if it wasn't worth it. However, I had to withdraw to avoid dominating the thread and gaining recognition along with preferential status. I detest such kind of utopian control. When there is equality, partial-preferences are almost non-existent.

Moving forward: with the limitations presented to us; there are ways around it (definitely outside of the administrators jurisdiction). Common problems will be categorised (that is collected in data). The categories will then be addressed (at least, discussions that will not need workshop tools). So far, we've only covered cooling. Above all: we may have to appeal to the dealers in the car-section to purchase certain essentials. At surface level, they may seem unnecessary but in actuality, they do.

The pre/post-war models were completely engineered. In other words, all that was necessary to be done was done before the production phase. Parts may cost but the dependability was certain. From my estimation (that is if all is done right), the total cost for the next 10 years should be approximately $2,000/$3,000 (major repairs only) in Nigerian economics. The approximated cost diminishes when labour cost in Nigerian economics is readjusted (meaning lower). The dynamics change when the wrong parts are used or unorthodox approaches done. We will need to itemise aspects/areas and build information around them (relative to Nigerian geo-space). This way, fair knowledge-base can be built.

It's just a suggestion. It may/mayn't sound okay but it's my two-cents smiley
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by prudencesmart(m): 10:24am On Nov 30, 2013
kuntash:

thanks alot Trac ...

Luks like sycophantic work..I have been a silence follower of this thread in particular, and have loved most of the immense contribution by selfless contributors here and in other Mercedes Benz thread on the web and these have help me DIY my three Benz cars in Miami

So mr Kuntash, dont derail the thread allow us to enjoy the seemingly flow of opinion and ideas from congent contributors at large than singing sycophantic praises to deter the thread.

Dont try to undermine the very work you put in place but left it to fallows never cared to helpout in any case nt untill most recently . Allow others to fellowship along as a family that has always been while we sit back and increase our knowledge. Even Trac couldn't have konwn it all too. He has silently learnt a lot from this thread too. We love all of them especially as they trash at different angle, such spices is very rare in other threads.

Trac, dont fall to the foolish paradise.You are a good man so are others, appreciate useful comments/contributions/criticism by other strong minds in this very acts .Be matured , dont carry grudges against anybody, its a thing of the little mind. They stand as a check to what is practically in practice to the locality in question, so all must be carried along.

I left Nigeria few years ago , but i have come to know that the operational conditions abroad here is quite different from what is obtainable locally there too

Just like in the issue of engine oil, you cant use synthetic oil in Nigeria for more than 9 months if yours is a daily ride. Infact, you'll be compell to change them in 6 monthly interval contrary to your opinion of 15month that is achievable here abroad. A lot of factors stem more theoretical than practicable at home , you need to consider the home factors too

I have been thro from the very beginning of the thread to the end but have never been , not even in Nairaland until now; i have seen the squabble and the reconciliations that fragrance this thread, and these have turn out for good and cautious conduct on the part of the contributors, it actually call for check and balances- a welcome factor that has risen these thread above every other thread in nairaland. So please dont undermine issues , allow us to enjoy the free flow, be cautious too like others. No one could have done it alone here, nor attracted such popularity that the thread earn,give all a fair level playground

We earn differently from different contributors and i dont want to lose all that in a hurry yet, so thankyou

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 11:38am On Nov 30, 2013
aikerism:

See, I like keeping my cars to factory, but am not an OEM freak. I really dont understand all these insistence on Behr thermostat.

My ZN3J thermostat failed sometime last year. I ordered for one from US, because I didnt think I would find it here in Nigeria, after a few attempt. While I was waiting for the Thermostat to arrive, I stopped using the car. Was using only my 2nd car then, the 605 V6. Unfortunately, NIPOST staffs entered strike, since it was shipped via NIPOST, meaning I wont be able to use the car again till the thermostat arrives. One day, i needed to go to Gudu market to buy parts for someone. I decided to go with the failed thermostat, to try my luck for the last time. I checked all the Peugeot shops there, but none of had it. As I was about to leave the market, it struck me. "Since Benz and Peugeot use Bosch parts, why not try Benz shops as well?, I thought to myself. The very first Benz shop I enetered, they had the damn thermostat that grounded my Baby. And the price was just 1k. It was Whaler brand. Unfortunately, the opening temperature was lower than the failed OEM one. But I decided that I would rather use a lower opening temperature thermostat than run that engine without thermostat. I bought the Whaler thermostat. Got home, tested it in hot water and it worked. I installed it. Yes, it was taking the temp guage longer to rise to 90C this time, due to the lower opening temperature, but it was better than none. I started using the car with the Whaler thermostat, while waiting for the one from US which had 82 C opening temperature, higher than the OEM/factory/follow-come that is 79 C. While the Whaler t-stat was in, I travelled to Anambra and spent about 5 days, shuttling between Enugu and Anambra states while I was there, daily. Even when i drove back to Abuja, I still had the Whaler t-stats for 2 months more before NIPOST staffs called off their strike and the one from US arrived, before I now removed the Whaler one, since the opening temp was lower than what the engine needs. I even came to this very thread and stated my experience with the Whaler t-stat. It was even au.hanson that confirmed to me that if I had looked harder, I would have found 82 C t-stat , which was the one he was using then. I still kept the removed Whaler t-stat as spare, pending when I remember to look for another t-stat with 79 or 82 C for a spare, be it Whaler brand or not.

Now, I dont understand why you guys must insist on Behr. Is it that there is a chemical Benz uses to produce their engine blocks which will kill off Whaler t-stat as soon as its installed in the t-stat housing? Even if the Whaler t-stat is not as relaible as Behr, does it mean it will fail before its due for replacement? I may not know anything about Benz, but I do know that T-stat is a renewal part, just like Timing belt. You dont wait for it to fail before you replace it. Why not buy 2 and keep 1 in the car as spare, incase it fails on you? Is it not better to have the unreliable t-stat in the system than run that engine without t-stat? Do you actually truly know the effect of running engine without t-stat?

What keeps cars on the road after their production ends is not OEM, but aftermarkets. What keeps some cars that have aged more than 50 years we see on car days displayed in foreign countries, is not the OEM or Aftermarkets, but practicality. Most parts in those have been modified. Some have their engines and transmissions removed and the modern ones swapped in, just to keep the car running strong, and most times, running stronger than when they were driven out of show rooms. OEM parts doesnt mean they perform better than Aftermarkets. It simply means they have been tested by the car manufacturer and recommended ok. I would try Aftermarket, if OEM is not available in my locality, unless its too fake to damage my car.

I, we can only suggest or advice, but how you keep your car(s) running in whatever shape you want, is your call to make.

Ikenna

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 12:03pm On Nov 30, 2013
Trac:

It is true people will not go through "trailer-loads" of texts to sift what's necessary. It is very understandable. However, the purpose of publishing text on this thread is for everyone; not for the trending moment alone but future referencing as well. Then again, the limitations of this thread forbid easier references. Stickies would have resolved a lot of the undesired outcomes. This will avoid rummages. It will also resolve to near-zero the repetitive posts.

It's just a suggestion. It may/mayn't sound okay but it's my two-cents smiley

Sticky! Seriously? Unless I didn't get you right.

So, MB thread needs to be stickied right? What happens to those important threads too like Peugoet, VW, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, etc.? So all those threads should be stickied as well? Or only MB thread should be stickied because its more important than the others? What do you think will happen in the 1st page of this Car Talk when all these threads are stickied?

When a member asked questions or seeks a solution to an issue that has been treated earlier, you can ask the member to go back a bit and search for the solution to the issue already discussed. Or you refer him to the exact page of the thread if you know. And there is nothing wrong in asking one to go back and start from the beginning to find solution to his Benz issue(s), which will be beneficial to the member, knowing other tips or knowledge he/she acquire by the time he/she gets to the last page. Thats why we have Libraries for reserach; thats why we have Car Talk Library.

Visit Peugeot thread to see how we do it over there. For example:

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-thread-psa-community/41

https://www.nairaland.com/1003701/peugeot-thread-psa-community/42

Breaking this thread or creating MB thread II will make this very thread meaningless. All the important discussion and tips on MB on this thread will be lost. Because attention will be focused on the new thread, and the very thing you guys are complaining here will take effect in the new thread, since you will have to start all over to repeat what has been discussed here in the new thread, instead of moving on.

Anyway, like you noted, just a suggestion. But note that other similar threads are moving on and no house members are complaing, like Peugeot is now on 42 pages.

But if you guys really want an MB II thread, you can present your case to the Admin. You guys may be lucky and he will grant your request. This is my last comment on this.

Ikenna
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 12:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
Ikenna351:

So, MB thread needs to be stickied right? What happens to those important threads too like Peugoet, VW, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, etc.? So all those threads should be stickied as well? Or only MB thread should be stickied because its more important than the others? What do you think will happen in the 1st page of this Car Talk when all these threads are stickied?

When a member asked questions or seeks a solution to an issue that has been treated earlier, you can ask the member to go back a bit and search for the solution to the issue already discussed. Or you refer him to the exact page of the thread if you know. And there is nothing wrong in asking one to go back and start from the beginning to find solution to his Benz issue(s), which will be beneficial to the member, knowing other tips or knowledge he/she acquire by the time he/she gets to the last page. Thats why we have Libraries for reserach; thats why we have Car Talk Library.

Breaking this thread or creating MB thread II will make this very thread meaningless. All the important discussion and tips on MB on this thread will be lost. Because attention will be focused on the new thread, and the very thing you guys are complaining here will take effect in the new thread, since you will have to start all over to repeat what has been discussed here in the new thread, instead of moving on.

Anyway, like you noted, just a suggestion. But note that other similar threads are moving on and no house members are complaing, like Peugeot is now on 42 pages.

But if you guys really want an MB II thread, you can present your case to the Admin. You guys may be lucky and he will grant your request. This is my last comment on this.

Ikenna

easy easy bro, it's a proposition and not a request yet...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 1:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
Gone

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by prudencesmart(m): 3:33pm On Nov 30, 2013
Please house, permit my unusual approach, all protocol observe.

I have a benz c180 94 model far back home in Nigeria, to be precise in PH with my mum, just yesterday she told me that the car entered a limb mode while she was driving. She narrated that she entered one unusual road that was so terrible, in some instances she had to put off the ac as the car would attempt to enter a limb mode under hard maneuvering, then at a point she couldnt bear the heat and dust than to just keep the ac life throughout the rough terrain , but unfortunately the car finally entered a limb mode and nothing she did could revive the vehicle, it had to be finally towed back home after having run down the battery and affected the kick badly.

Initially the car would crank but remains very powerless, could not accelerate when engaged the gear, now it cant even remain in idling anymore

Someone is coming to install a new key and bendit, and i have caution her not to stress the new kick untill i come home at christmas hols if solution could not be offered.

House please help: au.hanson, Ikenna, Trac and all others your input and wonderful expertrate is welcome here. Thanks in advance.

Also,according to her initially before this incidence, the engine use to have a little noticeable shaking when first crank in the morning as though the engine sitting were bad or the water pump, where you have the hydrualic fan was making some unusual sound as in rattling.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 3:19am On Dec 01, 2013
prudence.smart:

Trac, dont fall to the foolish paradise.You are a good man so are others, appreciate useful comments/contributions/criticism by other strong minds in this very acts .Be matured , dont carry grudges against anybody, its a thing of the little mind. They stand as a check to what is practically in practice to the locality in question, so all must be carried along.

I left Nigeria few years ago , but i have come to know that the operational conditions abroad here is quite different from what is obtainable locally there too

Just like in the issue of engine oil, you cant use synthetic oil in Nigeria for more than 9 months if yours is a daily ride. Infact, you'll be compell to change them in 6 monthly interval contrary to your opinion of 15month that is achievable here abroad. A lot of factors stem more theoretical than practicable at home , you need to consider the home factors too

Truly, I don’t carry grudges against anyone. Our temperaments are different as individuals. Some are confrontational and some aren’t. Some think things through and many don’t. I don’t mind criticism as long as it is forward-thinking and evidences are presented to aid the cause. However, I detest conjuring criticisms based on the necessary lack of fundamentals. I don’t term this criticism but mockery. Before you realise the person-in-question is inept, two or three posts would have ensued. At this time, name-calling creeps in. That’s why I don’t correct anybody except a few. There is peace in this approach. I also learn from those few. As oppose to the other approach where conflicts arise. I will always speak from standard industrial approaches. The problem with people is that they believe democratisation of information is automatic truth.

It is true what you have said.

The oil reference you made is your perception. That same specification of oil is used for racing. Nigerians are not racing. For the record, I gave a factor-of-safety of a three month reduction; that is 12 months. Mobil guarantees a 15 month/15,000 miles guarantee. I have not stated anything on NL that I never did in person. Currently, I'm using a tier-5 oil and December will be my 24th month on a single installation of European formula (not Mobil 1). It is a large-bore, high turbulent flow engine and produces a lot of heat. In the summer, coolant temperature in some instances exceeded 100/115degC. The lubricant at the moment is still good but oil analysis report will give the conclusive verdict. I can take the risk due to the resources that avail me. I can't recommend anyone to do this. The maximum I have gone with Mobil 1 SuperSyn is 18 months; 3 months above specifications. My parents always replace their crankcase lubricant every December. This, as far back as the 90's (in Nigeria). It's always been Mobil and the current tier group did not exist then. You can give the oil companies money if you want. I investigate how things work. Except one owns a Rolls Royce that is 4 years old and older, spending money on cars is not an investment. Economy is why I disclosed it. When an oil test is done afterwards, you can tell if the lubricant is good or not and the condition of the engine.

Ikenna351:

Ikenna

I am not referring to the same “sticky.” In-thread stickies and not global stickies. In other words, stickies within MB’s thread. I dropped the MB Thread II matter.

Your point on splitting the thread was understood and accepted. You are correct on it and I’m not in dispute of it. It is the organisation relative to referencing. For the common questions that most would have, a one-size-fits-all answer would have been indexed on the first page of the thread.

The other aspect I suggested was to gather certain known problems that are associated to the Nigerian culture and address them detached to this thread. Coming to thinking of it, it’s also a bad idea. So, I’ll scrap that thought as it only creates more fragmentation.

Archived-post-referral seems to be the only logical way (if it works at the Peugeot thread).
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 3:30am On Dec 01, 2013
au.hanson:

God bless you my brother, i was almost killed here when i stated that i found 87 degrees celcious( it was 87degrees i said) whaler brand in absence of Bher and its what is installed in my benz c180 till date(for almost 2 years now). I am still waiting to see the day it will fail, i am experimenting this, i like proving things practically, i like taking pragmatic approach to things, thats why we are the enlightened specie. Why should i spend a million naira to import thermostat , when i could get a 1000 naira own here to do the work perfectly well? even if it's to buy 2 of them and keep as spare, tho i dont even have a spare..Technology has so much advanced in recent time that the gap is so much narrowed to eliminate a lot of such fears. Experiment things for once and prove points

With no ounce of disrespect, here is my script in response to this subtlety. Do not take it the wrong way. It is not a rant.

“It seems to me a fundamental dishonesty, and a fundamental treachery to intellectual integrity to hold a belief because you think is useful and not because you think it's true.”
― Bertrand Russell

You almost killed. Another example of self-exaltation.
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/1#14664057

You didn’t answer till 5 days. Who shoved it down your throat?
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/2#14740920

The overall response was given
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/2#14764710

Follow-up
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/2#14808026

Conclusion fore-aft
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/3#14820349
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180-w202s-general/3#14837214

I never knew it was a dumb thing looking out for another. March 8, 2013 to November 2013 is almost two years; according to your calculation?! Credible! It is all in writing. Sooner, you will disclose that you had an installation and it’s lasted 10 years and going strong.

No insult(s) intended. I'm analytical. For clarity, I will use quotes from a Mathematician and this is taught in Sociology and Philosophy.

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”
― Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

“The opinions that are held with passion are always those for which no good ground exists; indeed the passion is the measure of the holders lack of rational conviction.”
― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

When you are confronted on a matter to defend your cause, you will state that you are an engineer. Ikenna can make that statement and get away with it. He will never understand [even] if it is broken down to him. Such is life. A simple sentence will render all he has said useless: the sentence is “prove it!” It is a task logically impossible when tested against industrial standards of contemporary manufacturing. However, a person with a background in engineering cannot escape such magnitude of ignorance. Two major branches of engineering is responsible for this: "quality control" and "quality assurance"; senior year courses for immediate preparation into the real world. It is also field of expertise in western civilisation. Why do we have people making 6-figures in this role?! Seriously speaking – the Nigerian stereotypes are appearing to be true.

Statistics do not lie. The Behr/Wahler decision was by Mercedes [themselves]. You DO NOT get Mercedes publications; do you? Where were you during the campaign? You’ve not owned a Merc for long. You've never taken an engine apart to do a rebuild. I’ve removed the official publication that MB issued for the awareness with respect to cooling that I uploaded when I begun in this thread. Why is Wahler difficult to get a hold of in the United States and readily available in Nigeria? At the generic auto part store, Wahler is not sold. At MB, it is not sold. Would you be able to convince Americans otherwise?

Whatever you do to your vehicle is for you. Do not give that as a surety to another when practice is out of scope. Nobody will buy a car with aftermarkets parts everywhere. However it sounds logical to you. Quality Control and Quality Assurance: the answers are there; 9 months in total and you are done.

“There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”
― Bertrand Russell

There is a problem with our generation: people feel entitled. Technology has not improved. Don't expect anyone to look after your "business" because you have cash to pay for it. Billions of dollars has been passed by the government into research on how to make the light bulb last shorter. This is the real world that you are living in. You are purchasing more but acquiring less.

This has nothing to do with ego, unless I would have brought in product design/engineering (my expertise). Designing a product to fail after a certain period or under certain conditions is normal practice. It requires precision. Lifecycle is determined by engineers or management based on different factors. I'm also certified to design parts for the automotive vehicle since 2008. We will never perceives related matters the same way. I don't brag about anything. If you want an old idea of the depth of understand, look up my previous screenname. You will not understand anything because it is intellectually-discerned and I did not mind making a fool of anyone that tried to discredit.

There is a structure for everything. Replacing a blown fuse has an ideology to follow before replacement. How much more complex cases. Are we still going to continue the myth of the “black man”??!

There is NO such thing as pragmatism in science engineering or troubleshooting. The white-man will ask you what school you graduated from and will motivate you to continue talking. Africans can do such and be considered normal. Such is not done in western civilisation. If you’ve heard what the whites have said about Nigerians, you’ll be shocked but we are quick to call it racism. Their perception of the black man is difficult to debunk because of the overwhelming evidences that supports their theories. It doesn't mean its perfectly true.

This is how the world views the black man and you are reflecting this. He shouldn't be mistaken for a pastor. Ignore the errors as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0stJkUWUyM

This is the nicest sayings you will get from the issue “the black man has built nothing in today’s civilisation.” Hear the white man's perception. Buy books written by white men and don’t reference the racist card and see if there isn’t some truth to it. You will change your views instantaneously. I will stop here at this "junction" for the sanity of this thread. The above clip was an insight to a perspective [far] deeper. People are quick to term them racist.

In comprehensive summary:
“Logic was, formerly, the art of drawing inferences; it has now become the art of abstaining from inferences, since it has appeared that the inferences we feel naturally inclined to make are hardly ever valid.”
― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:41am On Dec 01, 2013
prudence.smart:
Please house, permit my unusual approach, all protocol observe.

I have a benz c180 94 model far back home in Nigeria, to be precise in PH with my mum, just yesterday she told me that the car entered a limb mode while she was driving. She narrated that she entered one unusual road that was so terrible, in some instances she had to put off the ac as the car would attempt to enter a limb mode under hard maneuvering, then at a point she couldnt bear the heat and dust than to just keep the ac life throughout the rough terrain , but unfortunately the car finally entered a limb mode and nothing she did could revive the vehicle, it had to be finally towed back home after having run down the battery and affected the kick badly.

Initially the car would crank but remains very powerless, could not accelerate when engaged the gear, now it cant even remain in idling anymore

Someone is coming to install a new key and bendit, and i have caution her not to stress the new kick untill i come home at christmas hols if solution could not be offered.

House please help: au.hanson, Ikenna, Trac and all others your input and wonderful expertrate is welcome here. Thanks in advance.

Also,according to her initially before this incidence, the engine use to have a little noticeable shaking when first crank in the morning as though the engine sitting were bad or the water pump, where you have the hydrualic fan was making some unusual sound as in rattling.

Smart-Prudence:

There is very little (if not none) that could be done online. The vehicle has to be on-site for any kind of diagnoses to be done. One thing I will tell you is NOT to install any key or whatever you have stated. That is not anywhere remote to the problem. There are a couple of things wrong. There is also nothing wrong with the ignition. Advice your mom to leave the vehicle as it is till someone is qualified to work on it. Lots of tests will have to be done. Personally, I've never seen a C180 physically. The model tradeoffs is what I don't know for it wasn't as equipped.

For goodness sake DO NOT REMOVE THE WATER PUMP. Contrary to what people have said and practiced here, bolts in reference to upper and lower block should never be removed unless necessary. They are aerospace material, prestrained and compensate under operation. You cannot put them back because of the mechanical laws of that material. You never remove parts unless you are sure or you have some bolts. If the pump is bad, there will be excessive clearance and rattling is not what you will hear.

The vehicle is not difficult to work on. The symptoms appear compound but the problem roots might only be one or two. For that generation, the vehicle going into limp-mode might mean an electrical related issue (that is, based on what you've stated). When you get home, you might realise it isn't as serious as presented to you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.