Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Travelling With Right Of Abode - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling With Right Of Abode (2174 Views)

I Need Suggestions On Travelling With An Expired Passport. / Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport / Travelling With Black Magic Charms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling With Right Of Abode by Romeo10: 2:13am On Sep 27, 2010
Hello   Nairalanders

I need  your  genuine / Factual  advice  on   Travelling  to Nigeria  with a Right  of  Abode (  ROA )  on my  old  Nigeria  passport.
I recently got  the  Nigeria E passport  plus  i have  UK  ROA   on my  Nigeria  old  passport  +  British Passport  but,   i intend  travelling   to Nigeria  with both    Nigeria  passports ( ONLY)  without   getting  a  new  ROA on  the new e passport  which  most  people  do   and  confirm OK  by  the Nigeria embassy in UK .

However,  to my surprise after  checking  the UK  homeoffice  website its  appear  to me  that  the Rules  for ROA  has  been changed   since  2006.
See  attached  below 

ROA14 When can't a certificate of entitlement be issued?

You cannot issue a certificate of entitlement in:

* a non-British passport if the person holds a current British citizen passport
    * a British citizen passport.

Source:http://www.ukvisas.gov.UK/en/ecg/roa#5552403

Nairalanders  please  advice  on this  issues

1   Can  i travel  to Nigeria  with  my 2   Nigeria passports   OLD  + NEW  ( without   British  passport )
2   Can  i  apply  for  ROA  on my Nigeria  e passport  in the  future ( even   though i hold  a British Passport )
Re: Travelling With Right Of Abode by johnkent(m): 6:29pm On Sep 27, 2010
Why do u need ROA when u already have a british passport
Its like asking for a nigerian visa when you hold a valid nigerian passport.
Re: Travelling With Right Of Abode by Romeo10: 9:35pm On Sep 27, 2010
To respond to johnkent

My dilemma is , i am trying to avoid travelling to Nigeria with Nigeria + British passport and if you must know i have traveled in the past with ROA , but i learnt there are new laws in place on ROA, Which i am seeking advice.
Re: Travelling With Right Of Abode by ada24: 10:35pm On Sep 27, 2010
i have the same issue and i just travel with both passports - why am i going to start travelling with 3 passports - as long as u have a naija and uk passport u can travel freely between the 2 countries.

if it worries u that much get the ROA stamp in ur new passport.
Re: Travelling With Right Of Abode by johnkent(m): 11:45pm On Sep 27, 2010
Just travel with both passports like others do. I would advise that you always have your british passport on ya whenever u enter Nigeria just incase anything should happen. The UK embassy might not be willing to help you right away if you can't show immediate proof of citizenship.
I guess the british system is different but here in the states, there isn't anything like ROA for US citizens. U only get a passport or a passport card and thats about it.
Re: Travelling With Right Of Abode by Romeo10: 12:01am On Sep 28, 2010
To respond to ada24

I am willing to get a ROA stamp on my new Nigeria e passport, but its no more possible according to report to get ROA on foreign passport if you have a British passport . see my original text .

Source: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/roa#3716898

ROA14 When can't a certificate of entitlement be issued?

You cannot issue a certificate of entitlement in:

* a non-British passport if the person holds a current British citizen passport
* a British citizen passport

(1) (Reply)

Interested In Relocating To Canada Without Spending Much Money / Travelling To Sokoto By Rail / Enquiry About Traveling To Senegal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.