Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? (9243 Views)

Should Nigeria Grant Independence To Biafra, Yes Or No ? / Happy 50Th Birthday to Governor Fashola / 50th Independence: Jonathan Orders Probe Of N6.6bn Budget Expenditure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Beaf: 12:14am On Oct 01, 2010
Well the day has come at last! 50 years as a piece of land striving to become a nation.
50 years of tribalism, sectionalism, corruption and foolishness.
In our short history, we have produced on Nobel Laureate and one international terrorist. Blessings have been mixed.

Let us spend time here to talk about a way forward. Should we remain one, or should we split? How do we industrialise?

If we decide to remain one, what should be the political structure of the country? How do we establish, fairness and equity for all individuals and ethnic groups. How do we entrench autonomy for our various regions and sections? How do we determine what our new regions and sections should be?

There are a lot of questions to ponder as we cross the 50 year mark, so let the debate begin.

Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by oyinda3(f): 12:21am On Oct 01, 2010
I think it is worth it.
yea things aren't perfect but the only other option we have is the Noah's Ark approach which is to start over from scratch and how is that even possible? we may end up repeating the same mess on an even grander scale.
yea it's a colonial legacy but so is the language we're typing in and probably the clothes you're wearing. let's encourage what we have. Nigeria should definitely remain one piece.

Happy Independence Day to you.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 12:34am On Oct 01, 2010
Not feeling it lol
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by newgroom: 12:53am On Oct 01, 2010
There's no worst way to reach 50 than the kidnapping sword of Damocles hanging over our head. 15 innocent children are still missing. Their parents are helpless.

A responsible and responsive government would have cancelled the Eagle's square jamboree. But then it is not their children.

Please pray for the safety of these children and that God should touch the heart of the oga kidnappers.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by 12large1: 12:56am On Oct 01, 2010
"suffering and smiling" 50 years of uselessness, 50years of fraud, 50years of armed robbery, 50years of useless leaders, 50years of useless citizen's always blaming the leaders after they get caught either frauding,stealing,kidnapping and all nonsense activity. is nigeria the worst country in the world, no but when we fraud people we blame politicians. am sorry poster but there is nothing to celebrate or be proud of it would have been better if england had held naija for a longer time, by now we would have been on sa level
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by POChikero(m): 1:00am On Oct 01, 2010
well for those who say the celebration is worth it, i say kudos but we mustn't forget the challenges ahead. its only a mad man who keeps dancing when his father's house is on fire.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Rastamann: 1:08am On Oct 01, 2010
What are we celebrating - Kidnapping, corruption, Militancy, poverty, bad governance, nose-diving educational, and health sector, poverty-for-all by 2020, religious riots, etc.?
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Stonnydrey(m): 1:11am On Oct 01, 2010
What are even Celebrating, Kidnapping, Bad Roads, Bad Electricity, Bad Rulers, Bad Politicians In Bad Government, Our President should just go to one corner of Aso Rock and Start Crying For Naija,  We don't worth The Celebration, dis guy is giving us by Renewing The #50 note,  Well, am proud to come from NIGERIA, Dagrin, Nigeria, Ojojumo len jiriya, No be so?
PRAY FOR NIGERIA! PRAY FOR NIGERIA!! PRAY FOR NIGERIA!!! Not Celebrating NIGERIA, shocked shocked sad sad angry angry grin grin
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by oyinda3(f): 1:12am On Oct 01, 2010
12large1:

am sorry poster but there is nothing to celebrate or be proud of it would have been better if england had held naija for a longer time, by now we would have been on sa level

SA had horrible apartheid for a long time due to longer colonization. do you think the blacks there are happy that they were colonized for a longer time? Be careful what you wish for.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Ayowumie(m): 1:15am On Oct 01, 2010
newgroom:

There's no worst way to reach 50 than the kidnapping sword of Damocles hanging over our head. 15 innocent children are still missing. Their parents are helpless.

A responsible and responsive government would have cancelled the Eagle's square jamboree. But then it is not their children. Please pray for the safety of these children and that God should touch the heart of the oga kidnappers.
I believe in the soundness of your point, but i dont share any passion with calling off the jamboree at the eagle's square. it would have a negative political implication albeit it would spread a new thought of Nigeria to the comity of nations, as a citizen-well fare-caring nation.
We pray that God touches the heart of the kidnappers.
Happy Independence to Nigeria. It is time for reflections and assessment of progress reviews. Which way forward?

In this celebration of golden jubilee, there is need for sober reflections from all our leaders, from councillors to the president. I pray our leader have the conscience to turn a new leaf and IF THEY WONT STOP OPPRESSING THE MASSES, MAY THEIR WAYS BECOME SLIPPERY AND DESTRUCTION COME UPON THEM SPEEDILY
Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by lojik(m): 1:16am On Oct 01, 2010
Now that we are 50, WHICH WAY NIGERIA?
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Beaf: 1:20am On Oct 01, 2010
oyinda.:

I think it is worth it.
yea things aren't perfect but the only other option we have is the Noah's Ark approach which is to start over from scratch and how is that even possible? we may end up repeating the same mess on an even grander scale.
yea it's a colonial legacy but so is the language we're typing in and probably the clothes you're wearing. let's encourage what we have. Nigeria should definitely remain one piece.

Happy Independence Day to you.

Thanks and Happy Independence Day to you too. wink

I am certainly not thankful for the fact that I converse in English or wear foreign clothes, because there isn't much benefit to those things.

My fear is that after 50 years, we are still yet to have the basic things that make a nation. It seems we've just been wandering in circles for half a century. In our 50th year, the biggest political issue is neither ideology no manifesto, no! It is zoning.
After 50 years, we still suffer epileptic power supply, with our output per person standing at 43 times less than the Global standard. Zimbabwe, on the other hand, which is the object of many a Nigerians scorn, produces a full 6 times what the average Nigerian gets.

I believe that we must sit down in a National Conference to fashion out a framework for the Nigerian contraption to succeed and begin firing on all cylinders. We need a framework that will spell out the responsibilities of the Nigerian state to citizen and region and in the reverse, the responsibilities of citizen and region to the Nigerian state. Right now, every definition of the word, “Nigerian” is muddled and that reflects in the chaotic nature of our land. It is not possible for the citizen to be patriotic, when a person does not know their duties toward the country and how the country reciprocates.

We need to sit and chart a watertight way forward, especially now we have clocked 50.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by agabaI23(m): 1:27am On Oct 01, 2010
Nigeria happy independence.

Nigerians lets become independent.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by oyinda3(f): 1:32am On Oct 01, 2010
agabaI23:

Nigeria happy independence.

Nigerians lets become independent.

this is the key word.
the guy who said he wishes england were still our colonial ruler. we sort of are still under a rule. just that we have more rulers (china, US etc)and the whole system is no longer overt.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by glodecore: 1:41am On Oct 01, 2010
Yes of course we are 50. I came across the story on the ups and downs of the past and present leaders and their administration at www.broadcast.mixxt.us .

For us all we pray for God's divine intervention but first we all (both the leaders and the being led) have to observe what the people of Neniveh did in the bible 'Repent'. God bless all people of goodwill.

Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by GAR3TH(m): 1:42am On Oct 01, 2010
[size=13pt]happy 50th [/size]

Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Ivynwa(f): 1:43am On Oct 01, 2010
INDEPENDENCE = FREEDOM
KIDNAPPED, SHACKLED = CAPTIVITY
CAPTIVITY is the opposite of[b] INDEPENDENCE[/b]

Now how Independent can we get? Me I no fit shout, sometimes a simple formula says all there is to say.
Where is the Independence in a nation shackled by its very own, enslaved by itself. Excuse me somebody!
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 1:56am On Oct 01, 2010
Counting down to the inevitable due to take place in the year 2012 cool

Goodbye Nigeria, my beloved Country, you will be greatly missed cry

Could not have wished to come from anywhere else cry
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Handsomeemmy(m): 1:58am On Oct 01, 2010
Happy independence 9ja, the next 50years will be full of positive example for other nations to copy, because we are going places begining from now.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by MaziUche0(m): 1:59am On Oct 01, 2010
Celebrating Nigeria would be a moot point.

At least the British are not in control. I find solace in that.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by AjanleKoko: 2:01am On Oct 01, 2010
Not much to celebrate, just that the Almighty has kept us from doing serious damage to ourselves.
It's a boulevard of broken dreams we are celebrating. Life is far more nasty, short, and brutish than it was 50 years ago. We should be in sackcloth and ashes.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by mensdept: 2:03am On Oct 01, 2010
Those celebrating Naija independence are mostly those that are just using it as an excuse to PARTY! Even if that cost 500m naira (right senators) cheesy
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by localexpat: 2:13am On Oct 01, 2010
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:33am On Oct 01, 2010
lets continue praying and hoping,
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Ivynwa(f): 2:35am On Oct 01, 2010
For the sake of Prayers that get answered by God almighty and for the sake of positivity and the power of faith. May God bless our country Nigeria sha. Even though right now I am not feeling Nigeria at all. Wetin!
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by abiolag(m): 2:36am On Oct 01, 2010
HAPPY BIRTHDAY 9JA BUT NOT WORTH CELEBRATING.(4rm my own point of view)
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Acutex: 2:39am On Oct 01, 2010
Nigeria is 50, weep and wail for disunity and hate. Nigeria is 50, weep and wail coz there's nothin to celebrate. Nigeria is 50 raise your plates all the almajiris in Kano state. Nigeria is 50 and till date our light dey flunctuate. Nigeria is 50 and yet 15 pupils in Abia state do nt know their fate & una say make we celebrate??
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Acutex: 3:00am On Oct 01, 2010
Nigeria is 50, weep and wail for disunity and hate. Nigeria is 50, weep and wail coz there's nothin to celebrate. Nigeria is 50 raise your plates all the almajiris in Kano state. Nigeria is 50 and till date our light dey flunctuate. Nigeria is 50 and yet 15 pupils in Abia state do nt know their fate & una say make we celebrate??
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by zapaa: 3:31am On Oct 01, 2010
when do you Nigerians stop hating even on your own Country

In the words of Basketmouth Uncensored 2009

"Nigerians, Oh Boy we love to hate O"
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Beaf: 3:43am On Oct 01, 2010
zapaa:

when do you Nigerians stop hating even on your own Country

In the words of Basketmouth Uncensored 2009

"Nigerians, Oh Boy we love to hate O"

Despair and hate are totally different things. What is expressed by most here is despair and it is right to be in despair about Nigeria, because it is only after we acknowledge the wrong that we can begin building the right.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by akwaowoudo(m): 3:54am On Oct 01, 2010
Nigeria at 50: a nation given birth to by Britain. My heart goes with tears as i ponder _ if Nigeria has gone this far with her foolishness; oh! -i wonder where we would have been with our soundness. If i am to rejoice, i would sing praises to God for not allowing natural disasters like earthquake, tsunami, famine (though there's hunger in the land), name them, to visit Nigeria. We've wasted hopes, resources, and other bounties in 50years. To drive home a point _ what primary root have we descended since independence? Oh! What a failure. Everyday, our repast is subjected to tears. Tears emanating from kidnapping, assasination, boko haram, corruption, alienation, abuse of rights, etc. As it is, i pray God to lead us out of stagnation. I use this medium to say may the souls of Gani Fawehinmi, Dele Giwa, and others that meant well for Nigeria rest in peace.
Re: Happy 50th Independence To All Nigerians - Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 4:00am On Oct 01, 2010
This should be a funeral mourning the loss of 50 wasted years we'll never get back. By celebrating, we r setting the wrong precedent for the next 50

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pmb And His Somalia Speech: A Call For Deep Concern! / FB Terms:busting The Lies Peddled By Biafraudexposed and educating the public. / Marketers Ask Nigerians To Stop Panic Buying As Fuel Queues Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.