Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,873 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1360394 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 1:25pm On Jul 05, 2019
At 81% their acceptance rate is really high so could be a reason why, I’m just thinking out loud tho
Senatorbee:

Hope there is nothing strange with this University of New Haven
There are more denial than approval for the school.
Is the school turning to red flag or what
Have booked my interview oooo for the same school
Please enlighten us ooo
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Deefav: 1:50pm On Jul 05, 2019
Kalkaothar:

I tried scheduling a date in Abuja now, first available date is August 22. School resumes August 20 and classes start 26.
Will the proximity of the interview to class start date(school would have resumed) not be an automatic ground for refusal? Considering the fact that i may not be granted an expedited date...
Should I just keep checking later for available dates in both states?
Should I pick a date now and hope to reschedule later? What is the process for rescheduling anyway? What are the chances that I will get opportunity to reschedule?

Please help out!

Oh wow, it's past your start date. But I think you should either pick it and hope to reschedule or wait for dates to come up. Remember you have one shot at rescheduling after that you'd have to pay another fee.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ola9292(m): 1:55pm On Jul 05, 2019
Johnolukolade:

I read sometimes ago that Wright State University do have an issue with the Department of Homeland Security. It's a fraud allegation. You might want to check that up and maybe avoid the school.

Best!
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Marisawonka: 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2019
Ola9292:
please house, i got an admission to wright state university for august but i want to defer till january 2020 as this would allow me finish my ongoing masters here in nigeria, what reasonable excuse can i give the school to defer my admission. thanks house.
you don't need an excuse to defer just tell them you want to defer your admissions that's it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hybeenoni: 3:31pm On Jul 05, 2019
[quote author=dumbiri99 post=79961646]
First trial?
No deficit?

Yeeesss
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by magnificent1: 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2019
Tonyelolia:
@Deefav

I honestly don't know if they will. Last time a date came out was about 3 weeks ago, on the 17th of June. I don't know if they'll still release any, we can only hope and pray. But if you can go to Abuja, you should. I mean if you desperately want to travel in August. Go for it. Like they say, location doesn't matter.

Please what if on the application form I filled Lagos, can I still book an appointment date in Abuja, that is if I see a date?

@magnificent1, there are spaces in Abj for previously denied on 21st, 22nd, 23rd August

@Tonyelolia Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 4:55pm On Jul 05, 2019
Mudicua:
Hi. I skimmed through your transcript...
And these were some of the things I think you should work on.

• Why are you going to the US?
==>I’M GOING TO THE U.S FOR MY MASTER’S DEGREE IN STATISTICS (with a specialization in business analysis)

• What will you specialize in for your degree?
==>BUSNINESS ANAYSIS[b] (no need for this)[/b]

• What will be your major?
==>STATISTICS (no need for this)

• Who is your current employer? What do you do?
==>I CURRENTLY WORK with U.B.A AS JUNIOR DATA ANALYST; I INTERPRETE DATA WITH DATA VISUALIZATION USING VARIOUS TOOLS LIKE EXCEL, POWERBI, TABLEAU AND GIVE REPORTS FOR DECISION MAKING.(Big big grammer… yes it is good to speak the language of your career, but it can be jargon to the VO)

• Can you not continue your education in your home country? WHY U.S?
==>THE UNITED STATES IS KNOWN TO BE THE TOP COUNTRY IN TECHNOLOGY AND DATA (data what?), BIG TECH COMPANIES LIKE GOOGLE, FACEBOOK AND MICROSOFT RELIES HEAVILY ON DATA. As such studying this course in US will expose me to advanced skills in data analysis. THESE MAKE STUDYING THIS COURSE IN THE U.S AHEAD OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, I WOULD BE EXPOSED TO MORE ADVANCE SKILLS IN DATA analysis AND I WOULD BE HAVING AN INTERNSHIP DURING MY PROGRAM, WHICH WOULD ALSO GIVE ME OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE SOME HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE. (no need for these )

• How will you meet these expenses?
==>I've been promised a ga upon my arrival once the vacancy is open and my mother and uncle will foot the bill till I get the GA (this is a no no… do not say you have been promised a GA position to fund your expenses in US, cos if no GA position what happens?)

There were also a lot of repetitions in the transcript and as such made it hard to follow and read.
But I think you should go through it again, streamline it down, using the pieces of advise given by others on this thread.

Thanks Alot bro, I'm grateful. I need to talk to you personally please.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Milnes: 5:26pm On Jul 05, 2019
I haven't seen any student that is going to the USA for bachelor in B/S admin. It’s disheartening. I have my interview on Monday 8th. BBA is my course. Any advice on what to so and what not to do? Its actualy first time applying for a visa. Help a bro
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by biikeys(m): 7:00pm On Jul 05, 2019
Milnes:
I haven't seen any student that is going to the USA for bachelor in B/S admin. It’s disheartening. I have my interview on Monday 8th. BBA is my course. Any advice on what to so and what not to do? Its actualy first time applying for a visa. Help a bro

Doesn't mean that students are not going abroad to study the course..you shouldn't just use what you see on nairaland here as conclusive stat. Just prepare to answer questions you've seen already on the past few pages especially relating to your course and you should be fine first time or not.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by biikeys(m): 7:03pm On Jul 05, 2019
Kalkaothar:

I tried scheduling a date in Abuja now, first available date is August 22. School resumes August 20 and classes start 26.
Will the proximity of the interview to class start date(school would have resumed) not be an automatic ground for refusal? Considering the fact that i may not be granted an expedited date...
Should I just keep checking later for available dates in both states?
Should I pick a date now and hope to reschedule later? What is the process for rescheduling anyway? What are the chances that I will get opportunity to reschedule?

Please help out!

Keep checking for dates. I'm sure something will show up before your resumption date..BTW you might need to be checking at nights as well!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tmd(f): 9:24pm On Jul 05, 2019
Thank you. Her interview went well. Cant remember the questions the sequence they were asked again though but I'll try

VO: What do you do and what are your duties
Nanny: I am a Nanny, I take care of the children
VO: How long have you been working with your employer
Nanny: 2yrs 4mths
VO: How much are you paid monthly
Nanny: #25000
VO: Are you sure
Nanny: Yes
VO: She read through the contract I made that we both signed and then asked her if everything in the contract was explained to her, she answered in the affirmative
VO: Were you the one that signed it
Nanny: Yes, VO asked if she was sure again and she also answered in the affirmative
VO: How long were you told you were going to stay for in the US
Nanny: 2years but I would be coming in December to spend Christmas with my family
She was afterwards given one booklet for Domestic workers on B1 visa, the content is about them knowing their rights and not allowing people use them for human trafficking etc

NB Bank statement was perused and content of our contract was noted on her system.
We asked for Hausa Interpreter so she could flow well

Documents taken
Contract agreement stating how much she would be paid, her work schedule, day offs etc
Bank statement
Photocopy of my Visa page
lalavita:
Hi @tmd, Congrats on the visa approval and all the best with your journey. Can you share how it went with your children's nanny's interview? Thank you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by barrlabs975: 9:54pm On Jul 05, 2019
I have a little question and would like to write you directly. please respond. Thanks
dheee:
Visa Transcript
Approved June 24, 2019

V.O: What course are you going for ma’am
Me: Masters in Business Administration and Management
V.O: What would this course do for you
Me: I work in a very competitive industry, banking industry precisely so I need this course in order to upskill my profile. Also, I would become a team lead in a few years so I need to acquire leadership and analytical skills and also sharpen my decision making skills to enable me make good judgement, further i need the exposure to enable me to relate with diverse people from different backgrounds and share varying ideas and knowledge...basically this course would help me in my career growth
V.O: How many schools did you apply to ma’am
Me: I applied to 5 schools in total
V.O: Can you Name them
Me: Michigan Technological University, Texas Southern University, University of Houston, Texas State University and Stevens Institute of Technology
V.O: Did you take any standardized tests
Me: Yes I took GMAT and TOEFL
V.O: Do you intend going with your husband
Me: No, my husband has a well paying job and a business here so he doesn’t intend joining me at anytime
V.O: Who is sponsoring you
Me: My husband is sponsoring me
V.O: Can i see his bank statement please
Me: Here you go, (then I remembered i filled ‘self’ in the who is paying for your trip question) oh I also have personal funds of about $5000 which covers my flight and minimal expenses, I have my soa here with me also with a treasury bill certificate of 2.5m (she wasn’t listening, she was typing and probably calculating based on my sponsor’s bank statement
V.O: Where does your husband work ma’am
Me: xyz plc
V.O: Your visa has been approved ma pick it up at dhl muri okunola
Me: Thank you and have a nice day ahead
V.O: And you too ma

P.S The V.O was really polite
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rozay111: 9:59pm On Jul 05, 2019
Good evening all. Please i am trying to fill out the DS-160 form. I am currently at the work experience and education section. The site keeps telling me "secure connection failed" each time i try to save the section or even to proceed to the next section. I have tried optimizing the process by filling that section fast fast since inactivity could lead to a disconnection but all to no avail. I have tried using chrome and mozilla firefox but the problem has remained stubborn. What can i do please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adenosine01(m): 10:13pm On Jul 05, 2019
rozay111:
Good evening all. Please i am trying to fill out the DS-160 form. I am currently at the work experience and education section. The site keeps telling me "secure connection failed" each time i try to save the section or even to proceed to the next section. I have tried optimizing the process by filling that section fast fast since inactivity could lead to a disconnection but all to no avail. I have tried using chrome and mozilla firefox but the problem has remained stubborn. What can i do please?

You can use UCWEB....that’s better
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rozay111: 10:19pm On Jul 05, 2019
let me try it. Thank you
Adenosine01:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dheee(f): 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2019
Hello
barrlabs975:
I have a little question and would like to write you directly. please respond. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adenosine01(m): 10:24pm On Jul 05, 2019
Anybody that want to schedule in Lagos , July 27 is available now.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rozay111: 10:58pm On Jul 05, 2019
And the problem still persists
Adenosine01:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adenosine01(m): 11:13pm On Jul 05, 2019
rozay111:
And the problem still persists
Is only UCWEB that works for me CHROME and other browsers didn’t work.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 11:24pm On Jul 05, 2019
Adenosine01:
Anybody that want to schedule in Lagos , July 27 is available now.
first attempt or general

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adex9: 11:54pm On Jul 05, 2019
Good morning house
Very good job you are doing here.
Just discovered this platform and it has been helpful towards preparing for my interview.
My f1 visa interview is next Thursday, I have come up with a prosposed transcript. Gurus in the house please help review and if I left anything out please help out also.
Deficit:$30k(About 11M)for the first ten months
SOA: About 35M
PLEASE ANYBODY WITH ADDITIONAL INFO ON WKU, PLEASE HELP OUT
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
VO: Good morning
Me: good morning ma/sir
Vo: why are you going to the US
Me: for my graduate studies, I’m going to the Western Kentucky University for my masters in public health
Vo: why US?
Me: educational degrees obtained from the US are highly recognized all over the world, I see this as an excellent step towards achieving my career goals
Vo: how did you learn about the school
Me: through intensive online research while trying to come up with a list of schools offering MPH in the US. I also spoke to a friend of mine who knew someone that obtained her graduate degree from WKU, she encouraged me to go ahead with my application after so many positive reviews.
Vo: did you apply to any other schools
Me: yes, 2 others(lists them)
Vo: how many were you admitted in
Me: 2(lists them)
Vo: why WKU?
ME: WKU offers me a MPH with concentration in healthcare management and promotion. Asides WKU’s various accreditations and recognition, wku is known for its teaching excellence, wku offers a curriculum where I get to acquire community experience which would help me translate knowledge gained in the classroom to real life experiences, gaining both theoretical and practical knowledge. This makes learning easier and fun. Asides been offered $1602 in scholarship, the ongoing research by Professor Gretchen who is my advisor and would be working closely with interests me as it aligns with my career goals, it focuses on the analysis of workplace health promotion of small, rural workplace.
Vo: why MPH?
Me: with a baccalaureate degree in pharmacy, a graduate degree in public health would further equip me to hold specific and significant roles in the Nigerian health sector which would help achieve my career goals. More than being a pharmacist, I want to be a key contributor towards improving the quality of life of people by improving patients health and decreasing death rate by helping in disease prevention, awareness and health promotion. MPH would equip me to perform these roles and I would become very valuable in the labour market. After learning and familiarizing myself with the healthcare system, I would be able to impact the Nigerian health sector positively on my return.
Vo: any standard tests
Me: GRE;296
VO: what have you been doing since you left school in 2016
Me: started my mandatory internship programme with Bleep in 2016 for 12months, went for the mandatory NYSC programs for another 12 months in 2017, rounded that up in april 2018 and started working as a pharmacist in july 2018 with Bleep
Vo: why are you leaving your job.
Me; I’m not leaving my job, I am going to equip myself to be able to take up more challenging roles and carry out my duties better(not sure if this is a good one)
Vo: who’s funding?
Me: my uncle
Vo: what does he do?
Me: works with sonartusk limited, an oil and gas company involved in gas processing, mud logging services and supports activities of mining, also into sales of automobiles and transportation.
Vo: ever travelled before?
Me: no, never had any reason too
Vo: Any relatives in the us?
Me:no(the relative I have is also a student, I hope no is a good answer for the question)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Talksub(m): 12:09am On Jul 06, 2019
Please what are my chances of getting an admissions for spring 2020? My GPA is a bit low . I had a 2nd class lower and my us gpa rating is 2.3.

Most university has a minimum requirements of 3.0. I am scared . What can I do to be successful with my admission process with full funding .

I have a first degree in petroleum engineering

I currently work and I have 8 year of oil and gas experience with a couple of certifications

I have written to a couple of grad co-ordinator about funding , some said they give funding, but I am scared because of my low GPA.

How can I boost my application?

I am writing GRE in less than 2weeks from now .

I plan to Ace it . If that would help . Any other suggestions on how I can boost my application or or recommend any university that accept low gpa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 1:02am On Jul 06, 2019
Try do well in GRE
Talksub:
Please what are my chances of getting an admissions for spring 2020? My GPA is a bit low . I had a 2nd class lower and my us gpa rating is 2.3.

Most university has a minimum requirements of 3.0. I am scared . What can I do to be successful with my admission process with full funding .

I currently work and I have 8 year of oil and gas experience with a couple of certifications

I have written to a couple of grad co-ordinator about funding , some said they give funding, but I am scared because of my low GPA.

I plan to Ace it . If that would help . Any other suggestions on how I can boost my application or or recommend any university that accept low gpa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lalavita: 5:03am On Jul 06, 2019
Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you are all set to excel. Enjoy your US experience. My school has already started. Rather intense so far.
tmd:
Thank you. Her interview went well. Cant remember the questions the sequence they were asked again though but I'll try

VO: What do you do and what are your duties
Nanny: I am a Nanny, I take care of the children
VO: How long have you been working with your employer
Nanny: 2yrs 4mths
VO: How much are you paid monthly
Nanny: #25000
VO: Are you sure
Nanny: Yes
VO: She read through the contract I made that we both signed and then asked her if everything in the contract was explained to her, she answered in the affirmative
VO: Were you the one that signed it
Nanny: Yes, VO asked if she was sure again and she also answered in the affirmative
VO: How long were you told you were going to stay for in the US
Nanny: 2years but I would be coming in December to spend Christmas with my family
She was afterwards given one booklet for Domestic workers on B1 visa, the content is about them knowing their rights and not allowing people use them for human trafficking etc

NB Bank statement was perused and content of our contract was noted on her system.
We asked for Hausa Interpreter so she could flow well

Documents taken
Contract agreement stating how much she would be paid, her work schedule, day offs etc
Bank statement
Photocopy of my Visa page
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tmd(f): 6:40am On Jul 06, 2019
Thank you. All the best in your endeavors.
lalavita:
Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you are all set to excel. Enjoy your US experience. My school has already started. Rather intense so far.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 7:43am On Jul 06, 2019
Nerdychukz:
Approved transcript..
My interview was on the 26th of June for 6:30 am lagos consulate, I was the first person interviewed by the black American woman in I think window 8..
V.o - How did you find out about this school?
Me - I came across the school on asm website (American society of microbiologists)
V.o - Why are you going for your masters?
Me - stemming from my undergraduate degree In microbiology (V.o cuts in)
V.o - I mean why are you going for your masters degree at this time
Me - I intend on picking up a position as a Scientific research analyst at the National Centre for Genetic resources and Biotechnology where I had my undergraduate internship
V.o - Do you have any family In ohio
Me - No
V.o - Do you have any family in the US?
Me - Yes I have an Aunt
V.o - Where does she live?
Me - Missouri city, Texas
V.o - What's your highest qualification?
Me - Bachelors degree in microbiology
V.o - Did your school inform you of the reason for the scholarship?
Me - Yes. It's a Teaching assistantship.
V.o - What would be your duties? Would you be teaching classes?
Me - I'll be taking tutorials, grading papers, organising laboratory sessions, writing lab
manuscripts and other duties at the discretion of the department within the 20 hrs per week limit.
V.o - Who would be paying for the deficit?
Me - My Aunt
V.o - Is it the same Aunt in the US?
Me - No. This one is in Nigeria.
V.o - What does she do for a living?
Me - She sells fabrics. She has a large fabric store in ibadan.
V.o - Types furiously for what seemed like an eternity.
I'll be approving your visa...
I appreciate the nairaland family, I really gained a lot from this thread..
Thank you sharwama for the mock interview..it really helped me discover the points I needed to improve upon..and the sweet voice also calmed my nerves...
Thank you Tjay for the impromptu mock interview
Cheers!!!!
I am super proud of you! You chose a method that worked really well for you, you really deserved the approval. You owe me three bottles of Heineken shaaa grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 7:48am On Jul 06, 2019
Mudicua:
Okay so here it is people. cheesy

First of all, my case is kinda peculiar and not the regular ones common here. As such, I do not know if my transcript will help due to that, but I sincerely hope it gives someone some clarity or guide for their own interview.

Date: June 26, 2019
Venue: Lagos Consulate
Time:6:30 a.m
Gender of VO: Male
Window: Window 9. (guy was doing fingerprinting initially, but later The CGI guys blocked him off for interviews) Kinda heavy set, with beard.

VO: Good Morning, Pass me your I-20 and passport.
ME: Good Morning again (VO looked up at me when I used “again” with the good morning. Well this was cos he had done my fingerprinting) while I gave him a very big smile… and then passed the requested documents to him.

VO: Why are you going to US?
ME: I am going for a doctorate degree in Human Sciences with a specialization in global family health (stumbled a bit) and wellbeing, at UNL, Lincoln, Nebraska.

VO- I see you are going to Nebraska?
Me- Yes I am.

VO: Is that the main campus? Lincoln?
ME: Yes.

VO: You been to Lincoln?
ME: Yes I have.

VO: How long did you stay in the US? And where have you lived in the US
ME: About 4 years, I lived in Oklahoma and Nebraska.

VO: So why did you chose UNL?
ME: The school has a very rich learning culture, and a very distinguished faculty. It also provides an opportunity for students to study families using a global mindset, where local ideas are adopted to solve global family issues and global ideas... (VO cuts off)

VO: Okay so why Nebraska? You been to Nebraska? So why there (in my mind I’m like shuo… shebi I just told this dude I stayed there)
ME: (Huge smile) Yeah I lived in North Platte during my optional training… (I stopped cos he gave me a look, and huh?) Well Nebraska is a pretty place to stay, I have interacted with persons from there, the people are nice and welcoming. It is surely more than the corn fields (another small smile).

VO: (Picks up my passport and start to flip through) Why do you have another student visa on your passport?
ME: (cannot remember exactly what I said, but it was more like) I applied to other schools, some of which were in the country and got admitted and also applied for visa which just came through (cuts in)

VO: But you wanna choose the US school?
ME: (smiles) Yeah, that is correct.

VO: (nods) Okay. So what other schools did you apply to in US?
ME: BYU, UMN, OSU and UNL (I said these all in full)

VO: (nods) How many gave you admits?
ME: UNL and OSU

VO: Your previous masters where did you do it?
ME: At the university of …….

VO: What was your major?
ME: Family life education …….

VO: I see you have been to Canada?
ME: Yes

VO: How long did you stay there?
ME: Just a couple of weeks.

VO: Where in Canada did you go?
ME: Ontario, Toronto

VO: (picks up i20 and looks through) Why did they not give you full funding? Why do you have partial funding here?
ME: (omo I did not prepare for this question) Oh, I myself was surprised, and actually called the departmental chair about that, who said they have a lot of outstanding intakes this year, and it would only be fair to ensure everyone gets some sort of funding. (V.O nodded)

VO: Okay but you seem to have a whole lot more money than your deficit why is that?(picked up i20 to show me)
ME: Oh that, (smiled) the deficit is the total funds available to me minus the funding already taken care of by the school. The whole lot of money is inclusive if funding as well as my family funds. (VO nods and start to type)

VO: So who is gonna pay this balance?
ME: My brother and his wife.

VO: (nods) Okay. Where is he?
ME: In Uk. (V.O nods)

VO: What university did your brother go? (this question shocked me)
ME: University of Benin (V.O nods and starts to type again)

VO: Do they have kids?
ME: Yes.

VO: (nods) Okay. In your first masters program who paid your tuition?
ME: (Huge smile) My mom. (V.O nods)

VO: So why is she not paying now? Why is your brother taking charge of your bills?
ME: (with another killer smile and a sweep of my hair… lol) she is a senior citizen now, and is retired.

VO: What is your duty as a GRA?
ME: (did not hear very well) sorry?

VO: You have assistantship what are your duties?
ME: Oh… I’m gonna be assisting my supervisor Prof TTTT on her research on refugee women in Kenya. She is interested in African families and so we will be working together. (VO Nods) however the details of my research and other duties will be finalized in the first week of fall.

VO: And after your program, what is the program going to do for you?
ME: First I am very passionate about families, and the growing trend of domestic and intimate partner violence in Nigeria is a cause for concern. Hence after my program I will be able to contribute to policies that can help families in Nigeria and in developing countries.

VO: Are you married?
ME: No.

VO: (nods) Okay. Your Visa is approved. Passes the white paper and my i20, and asked that I pick my passport in 3 working days.
ME: (Now smiling widely). Thank you and have a great day.

VO: You too.
ME: Smiled again at him, put my white paper and i20 in my folder, and then walked out.

Now these are some of the things that helped me:

Confidence: I was nervous… (normal reaction) but after my first 2 sentences with the VO, I relaxed and started to flow.
Collected: I did not rush, nor was I too slow in answering the VO. But I took time to think.
Background history: I did not violate any immigration rules while previously in US (so I had good background history). All my previous school bills were fully paid. I filed all my taxes as well, even this last tax season. (for those in US please do not take this for granted, and file correctly)
Travel history: My travel history in and out of US is there on my DS160… so when he asked if I have been to Canada, I told him yes… and how long I stayed. (but it is on my i94). Also I did a lot of traveling home while I was schooling there.
God Factor: Yes oooo… this is key. The scriptures say “when ye are prepared ye sha not fear”. I had all the right documents, but I was worried what if I said something out of place. P kept praying to be able to say the right things to the questions asked. And then I was prepared. cheesy and was able to say the right things.

Gratitude Corner
I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this thread. This is why it is still alive.

To those who proffered suggestions to questions I asked on this platform and even privately I say a very big thank you.
@Brown2green, @Time2win, @Walspring @Texrem for taking time to respond to my email and questions I asked, thanks.
And to those who did not or could not respond to my email request, I also want to say thank you cos I understand how crazy schedules can be.

@Twoods, I want to say thanks as well. Your comments on my post actually made me think more clearly… I actually wanted to send you an email, and in afterthought chose not to. Thanks for responding to my email request. I quite understand why and how you react the way you do. But again it is better to advise or give suggestions rather than put down others and trample on their hopes and aspirations.

Finally, A very special thanks to @Sharwama. See this girl, she took time to respond to me, went through my transcript, provided suggestions and even gave me a mock interview. Most importantly she allayed my worries… she kept telling me to breathe and just go do me… and do me I did. cheesy grin. Thanks mama... I stan!!!

One Last Note.
Please note this key fact... it is important to know what you are going for.... be passionate about your course of study. When you are passionate it will show in your eyes and your hands. Y
When you pick a course or school without much knowledge about it, then there is room for error or gaps in the conversation with the VO.
Best of luck to all visa hopefuls.
I don't even know if I should laugh or cry, ok I am doing both right now. Congratulations Queen, you will be an invaluable asset to your school. You owe me the outfit and shoes we talked about shaaa grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 7:51am On Jul 06, 2019
Mudicua:
Mama!!! I stan!! you are such a sweet person.
Your post brings such positive vibes to this forum...
Such flow of words makes me just wanna meet you in person...

The words are a breath of positive air...
When you say breathe... I actually do breathe cos I know I am breathing in a huge amount of positive energy cheesy

Thank you for your posts.

Awww, I can't even thank you enough, this means a lot grin grin grin
XOXOXO
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 7:53am On Jul 06, 2019
Chidon360:

Amen to that your prayer Nwanyioma . You will live long
Nwokeoma, daalu. You will live long as well grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 7:58am On Jul 06, 2019
fairheart:
cheesy cheesy You cannot be a Queen in the Castle of the King and still not be a sage. The spirit of humor and wisdom has finished you (I think you said that first grin grin) I know it's intoxicating, because you can't contain it. I hail thee, her Royal Majesty.
Queens see Kings cheesy grin grin
I hail you right back!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Drekales: 7:59am On Jul 06, 2019
Talksub:

The minimum GPA I have seen so far is 2.5 for masters degree.
I feel you should mail schools individually to inquire on your chances based on your lengthy years of experience. Your best option would have been having a post graduate degree in Nigeria.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 8:00am On Jul 06, 2019
Kay100:
haaa sharwama, your words ehn grin grin grin...i dont even know what to say sef...send me your acct number cheesy
When I get to obodo oyibo, I will send the new one so you can pay in dollars biko. I am done with naira grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.