Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,611 members, 7,823,658 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1364370 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2019
Why not shop when you get to America
Justabama:
Please anyone knows where I can get winter clothing here in Abuja?...

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abone2: 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2019
I agree with u. I had a Skype interview too thou it wasn't part of the admission process but I'm sure it influenced the admission decision cos the interview was with a prof I requested to assist in research and he advised I update my admission file to indicate that I have spoken with him.

Oasishavenng:

Your question was actually very inappropriate, basically you are asking her if she was was actually lying. Skype interview is not an anomaly in graduate admissions. She was even gracious enough to answer you and instead of you to apologize you still said easy madam as if she responded out of turn.
Really not cool
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by StainLess4565: 4:21pm On Jul 21, 2019
Good day house. Please I am new here this thread, and I’m asking this for a friend. Can a f2 visa holder work in the USA ? I will appreciate answers from anyone that knows or have an idea about this.. thanks in advance
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 4:29pm On Jul 21, 2019
StainLess4565:
Good day house. Please I am new here this thread, and I’m asking this for a friend. Can a f2 visa holder work in the USA ? I will appreciate answers from anyone that knows or have an idea about this.. thanks in advance

NO!!! they are not allowed to work

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Allylic(f): 4:30pm On Jul 21, 2019
StainLess4565:
.No,A F2 visa holder can't work in the US

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 4:59pm On Jul 21, 2019
Wretch32:
40% scholarship on tuition
35k deficit
No document was asked
congratulations! msc or undergraduate
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Madupcy: 5:36pm On Jul 21, 2019
Nehemiah77:
Interviewed by the young white man at window 1
26th June

Vo: Good morning
Me: Good morning sir.
Vo: How are you today?
Me: I'm alright and you?(with a smile )
VO: I'm fine.Pass me your passport and other documents
Me:Okay sir (Passes it)

VO: I can see you're going for masters degree
Me: Yes..I'm going to Illinois state university Normal Illinois for a masters degree in Economics.
VO: What do you do?
Me: I work as a real estate agent at Bleep, a family business. I also volunteer as a research assistant to Dr xxxx at African institute of Applied Economics
VO: You volunteer where?
Me: Had to repeat myslef
VO: Okay. Who will pay for the cost not covered by your funding?
Me: My uncle
VO: Does your uncle have 13,000 USD. What does he do?
Me: I gave a smile when he asked if my uncle has the money(like Oga the guy dey ball hard)._ He has the money. He's a major distributor of petroleum in the south east. He owns 7 filling stations in that region.
VO: Really? That's something.
VO: Your undergrad was Economics right?
Me: Yes. I have a a Bsc in Economics from Bleep
VO: How many schools did you you apply to in the U.S
Me: Four schools....University of Cinncinati ,Georgia state university ,Kent state university and Illinois state university
VO: Why did you choose ISU?
Me: Coupled with the fact that i was awarded a GRA with a full tuition waiver, I have the opportunity to work with Prof Bleep whose current research is on structural impediment in developing countries to achieve the sustainable development goals. Prof Bleep research is funded by the UNDP so this will enable me participate as a strategic analyst in the UNDP campaign against poverty in Nigeria
VO: You have this funding?
Me: No..Prof Bleep
VO: I'd like to see your GA letter
Me: Passes it. *This was where the miracle happened. He started reading it carefully and turned the next page,he then noticed a miniature land document that was printed at the back of each page of the document. I didn't see that thing prior to my interview. I guess the people that printed my GA letter used recycled paper*
VO: this proves that you're in real estate.
Me: Oh..I'm so sorry sir for having it there sir.
Vo: It's alright. So what will you be doing after your studies?
Me: I will return to take the position of a research associate at NISER and also consult for the CBN to build economic models(cuts in)
VO: it's okay. Your visa has been approved.

I'm so grateful to God. A big thank you to everyone here giving their time and resources to make dreams come true. God bless you.

I had goosebumps reading this. This is indeed a miracle, I tap into it oh. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Valentinejeco: 5:55pm On Jul 21, 2019
Hi good evening nairalanders , I was denied student visa 3 good times ,one last year October another one on November and the last this year January.please guys I really want to apply again ,what’s my chances of getting it this time again since I have been denied visa 3 times .thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Valentinejeco: 6:07pm On Jul 21, 2019
Hi solihp can you please reply my pm thanks
solihp:
The last post I promised, long post alert grin cheesy grin cheesy

Things that might have helped me during this admission process

During my application process, there were somethings I wished I knew while reading previous transcripts of others and that is why I have decided to be as detailed as possible in my profile so it could be of help to those going for Spring and fall 2020 and beyond that.

I graduated in November 2018 and I decided to apply for my Masters in December, that was extremely late you might say considering the fact that GRE is almost always required for my proposed course of study, but one thing that helped was that I had been following both the GRE and this thread for months before I graduated, but don't be like me if you could help it, prepare far ahead.

So I had to register to write my GRE exam in the first week of February, prepared for less than two months combined with researching the schools I wanted to apply to.

The most important thing is to know yourself, Statistics is my background and I have always loved Mathematics so it made the preparation process abit easier. But I would suggest you prepare for at least 3 months.

Because I wanted to write GRE in February, I was limited to schools that had their priority deadlines around January 31, February 1 and 15 and March.

So I will give some points that helped me and explain them:

Get in contact with the graduate coordinator/director even before you apply: I can't emphasise this enough, before I submitted my application, I emailed all the graduate directors, told them my profile and that I was going to write GRE in February and asked if I could still meet up to be considered for graduate assistantship, I went ahead with some of the schools that replied me. This helped so much that I had a feeling two schools already decided to admit me and were only waiting for my GRE scores, immediately I finished my GRE exam, I reported my unofficial scores to them via email, my official scores got to them on February 18th which was past 6 out of the 7 schools' priority deadline. I got my first admission few days later and another one few weeks later. Unsurprisingly, they were from the two schools I kept in contact with their graduate directors (GD) the most.

Please follow-up on your application: Sometimes, you wonder why you haven't heard from some schools months after you submitted your application. So I had a particular school that I didn't hear anything from around 1 month after my official GRE score got to them, i emailed the director. Guess what he told me?, he said it was indicated that something was missing on my application even when it says completed on the application portal, he told me he would help me check what was missing the next day.

When he checked, he realised there was nothing actually missing, he reviewed my application and sent my admission letter with funding that same week. So what if I didn't draw his attention to my application? Please follow up biko.

You can ask for more funding: When I was admitted into GSU, I was given full tuition waiver and 5k stipends, I got in contact with graduate students in the school and I was told there was no way the 5k stipends would sustain my living expenses. I was even more motivated when I saw on grad cafe that someone admitted few days before me, a masters student but different concentration in my department was offered 10k.

I wrote a fanimorous(don't mind the incorrect English) to the GD, telling her how the school was my top choice, how I am grateful to be admitted and offered scholarship but that I needed my stipends to be increased.

It wasn't easy o, I had to send plenty plenty reminders, she told me the highest they could offer me was 5k, I sent more emails. Later she told me, okay wait till after April 15th, if some people reject their offers, we can offer you more.

After April 15th, I sent her another email, then ending of the month, they finally said they can increase the stipends to 10k and sometime in May, I got the updated admission letter. I am sure when the GD sees me in August, she would be like, so this is Solihp that almost finished me with emails, lol. grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Look at how she said she couldn't offer more but later told me to be patient, persistency paid off. Of course, it won't always work, American University that I fell in love with their curriculum, cost of attendance was around 64k and I was offered partial tuition waiver and stipends worth 19k, I sent email to the GD, he told me point blank the award is a merit based scholarship and that was the highest they give people, Washington DC living cost that was expensive, I just waka pass jare. So it won't always work but there's no harm in trying, just be polite about it.

Communication is key: Communicate with the schools you're applying to, for instance 5 out of 7 of the schools I applied to automatically waived English Proficiency test for me since Nigeria is an English speaking Country. For the remaining 2, I sent a letter from the registrar's office of my undergraduate school stating that my degree was taught solely in English Language and the compulsory requirement was waived for me.

Always remember that the admission committee tends to look at your overall profile, so try to work on things that can enhance your profile, write GRE, write TOEFL too if you have the means, write nice statement of purpose. For undergraduate, don't give up on yourself quickly, some schools assess your GPAs for the last two years of your study, so please finish strong.

In summary, prepare ahead, write those standardised tests, it would help your chance of being admitted, keep in contact with the GDs, etc. I wish you all the best. Here is my finalised offers in details.

American University (admitted into both Biostatistics and Statistics programs with 19k scholarship)

George Washington University: (admitted into both Biostatistics and Statistics programs, no funding)

Villanova University: ( Admitted into Applied Statistics program, no funding)

Michigan Technological University : ( Admitted into Statistics, Mathematical Science, and Data science programs, no funding)

Bowling Green State University : (I was admitted into their Applied Statistics program in February ending and funding didn't come until first week in June, full tuition waiver and stipends worth 13k)

University of Iowa: Waitlisted then rejected

Georgia State University: (Admitted into Biostatistics with full tuition waiver and stipends worth 40k)

Fall 2019, yes we made it

I was intentionally explicit about everything, this is my own way of giving back to the thread and I hope it would help someone in the future. All the best grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 6:16pm On Jul 21, 2019
Good evening everyone in this trend, I seriously need to correct something I've been seeing here on this wonderful trend.... Yes, am not a religious fanatic, I've not even been to church since May 12th(that's the truth) but it doesn't really mean I don't acknowledge God's existence or am not in peace with him. I really do believe in God and his amazing abilities. I love God.
A few of us believe God has no role to play in this visa stuff(I believe he does,100%),some question why Europeans and asians don't call to whatever God they believe in when going for visa interviews.... Well, truth is we are not even sure of this. I truly believe everything works with belief, if they believe God has no role to play and it works for them, FINE!.... If most of us here believe God has a big role to play, FINE!!... For me I believe baba(God) works with YOU(our preparation) ,and that's also very FINE!!!
Gracia's!!!

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by StainLess4565: 6:22pm On Jul 21, 2019
Thank you so much bro

Time2win:

NO!!! they are not allowed to work
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by StainLess4565: 6:23pm On Jul 21, 2019
Thank the you sis

Allylic:
.No,A F2 visa holder can't work in the US
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 6:51pm On Jul 21, 2019
Flaame:
Good evening everyone in this trend, I seriously need to correct something I've been seeing here on this wonderful trend.... Yes, am not a religious fanatic, I've not even been to church since May 12th(that's the truth) but it doesn't really mean I don't acknowledge God's existence or am not in peace with him. I really do believe in God and his amazing abilities. I love God.
A few of us believe God has no role to play in this visa stuff(I believe he does,100%),some question why Europeans and asians don't call to whatever God they believe in when going for visa interviews.... Well, truth is we are not even sure of this. I truly believe everything works with belief, if they believe God has no role to play and it works for them, FINE!.... If most of us here believe God has a big role to play, FINE!!... For me I believe baba(God) works with YOU(our preparation) ,and that's also very FINE!!!
Gracia's!!!

Why do I have to Pray to Him when He knows exactly what I want?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 6:58pm On Jul 21, 2019
solihp:
The last post I promised, long post alert grin cheesy grin cheesy

Things that might have helped me during this admission process

During my application process, there were somethings I wished I knew while reading previous transcripts of others and that is why I have decided to be as detailed as possible in my profile so it could be of help to those going for Spring and fall 2020 and beyond that.

I graduated in November 2018 and I decided to apply for my Masters in December, that was extremely late you might say considering the fact that GRE is almost always required for my proposed course of study, but one thing that helped was that I had been following both the GRE and this thread for months before I graduated, but don't be like me if you could help it, prepare far ahead.

So I had to register to write my GRE exam in the first week of February, prepared for less than two months combined with researching the schools I wanted to apply to.

The most important thing is to know yourself, Statistics is my background and I have always loved Mathematics so it made the preparation process abit easier. But I would suggest you prepare for at least 3 months.

Because I wanted to write GRE in February, I was limited to schools that had their priority deadlines around January 31, February 1 and 15 and March.

So I will give some points that helped me and explain them:

Get in contact with the graduate coordinator/director even before you apply: I can't emphasise this enough, before I submitted my application, I emailed all the graduate directors, told them my profile and that I was going to write GRE in February and asked if I could still meet up to be considered for graduate assistantship, I went ahead with some of the schools that replied me. This helped so much that I had a feeling two schools already decided to admit me and were only waiting for my GRE scores, immediately I finished my GRE exam, I reported my unofficial scores to them via email, my official scores got to them on February 18th which was past 6 out of the 7 schools' priority deadline. I got my first admission few days later and another one few weeks later. Unsurprisingly, they were from the two schools I kept in contact with their graduate directors (GD) the most.

Please follow-up on your application: Sometimes, you wonder why you haven't heard from some schools months after you submitted your application. So I had a particular school that I didn't hear anything from around 1 month after my official GRE score got to them, i emailed the director. Guess what he told me?, he said it was indicated that something was missing on my application even when it says completed on the application portal, he told me he would help me check what was missing the next day.

When he checked, he realised there was nothing actually missing, he reviewed my application and sent my admission letter with funding that same week. So what if I didn't draw his attention to my application? Please follow up biko.

You can ask for more funding: When I was admitted into GSU, I was given full tuition waiver and 5k stipends, I got in contact with graduate students in the school and I was told there was no way the 5k stipends would sustain my living expenses. I was even more motivated when I saw on grad cafe that someone admitted few days before me, a masters student but different concentration in my department was offered 10k.

I wrote a fanimorous(don't mind the incorrect English) to the GD, telling her how the school was my top choice, how I am grateful to be admitted and offered scholarship but that I needed my stipends to be increased.

It wasn't easy o, I had to send plenty plenty reminders, she told me the highest they could offer me was 5k, I sent more emails. Later she told me, okay wait till after April 15th, if some people reject their offers, we can offer you more.

After April 15th, I sent her another email, then ending of the month, they finally said they can increase the stipends to 10k and sometime in May, I got the updated admission letter. I am sure when the GD sees me in August, she would be like, so this is Solihp that almost finished me with emails, lol. grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Look at how she said she couldn't offer more but later told me to be patient, persistency paid off. Of course, it won't always work, American University that I fell in love with their curriculum, cost of attendance was around 64k and I was offered partial tuition waiver and stipends worth 19k, I sent email to the GD, he told me point blank the award is a merit based scholarship and that was the highest they give people, Washington DC living cost that was expensive, I just waka pass jare. So it won't always work but there's no harm in trying, just be polite about it.

Communication is key: Communicate with the schools you're applying to, for instance 5 out of 7 of the schools I applied to automatically waived English Proficiency test for me since Nigeria is an English speaking Country. For the remaining 2, I sent a letter from the registrar's office of my undergraduate school stating that my degree was taught solely in English Language and the compulsory requirement was waived for me.

Always remember that the admission committee tends to look at your overall profile, so try to work on things that can enhance your profile, write GRE, write TOEFL too if you have the means, write nice statement of purpose. For undergraduate, don't give up on yourself quickly, some schools assess your GPAs for the last two years of your study, so please finish strong.

In summary, prepare ahead, write those standardised tests, it would help your chance of being admitted, keep in contact with the GDs, etc. I wish you all the best. Here is my finalised offers in details.

American University (admitted into both Biostatistics and Statistics programs with 19k scholarship)

George Washington University: (admitted into both Biostatistics and Statistics programs, no funding)

Villanova University: ( Admitted into Applied Statistics program, no funding)

Michigan Technological University : ( Admitted into Statistics, Mathematical Science, and Data science programs, no funding)

Bowling Green State University : (I was admitted into their Applied Statistics program in February ending and funding didn't come until first week in June, full tuition waiver and stipends worth 13k)

University of Iowa: Waitlisted then rejected

Georgia State University: (Admitted into Biostatistics with full tuition waiver and stipends worth 40k)

Fall 2019, yes we made it

I was intentionally explicit about everything, this is my own way of giving back to the thread and I hope it would help someone in the future. All the best grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
This is really helpful bro, thanks abunch for this piece, we statisticians are going to be learning from you and congratulations as well ps please stay tunned to help us too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dwilliams707: 7:04pm On Jul 21, 2019
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 7:12pm On Jul 21, 2019
juliouze:

This is really helpful bro, thanks abunch for this piece, we statisticians are going to be learning from you and congratulations as well ps please stay tunned to help us too.

I am a lady grin grin, sure, I will try my best to help on this thread. Thank you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 7:21pm On Jul 21, 2019
solihp:

I am a lady grin grin, sure, I will try my best to help on this thread. Thank you
My bad!! Please forgive my manners. I tried sending you an email...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 7:30pm On Jul 21, 2019
juliouze:

My bad!! Please forgive my manners. I tried sending you an email...

No problem, replied
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 7:41pm On Jul 21, 2019
This week is a blessed one as many United States visas will be issued...alot will smile heavily this week in Jesus name. Amen�

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 7:52pm On Jul 21, 2019
Predstan:

If you want someone to give you something, will you close your mouth and expect him to give it to you... Brother, you'll ask first

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 8:33pm On Jul 21, 2019
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 8:34pm On Jul 21, 2019
fairheart:
For Spring 2020 / Fall 2020 students that need PRINTABLE GRE MATERIALS, please send/resend your messages.
Happy Sunday!

Good evening I hope you still have some to give out.... I will appreciate.
adewolebiggie@gmail.com
Thank you in advance.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2019
Sharwama,Lagosismyhome,walspring,good evening dear brethrens,please I'd really appreciate it if you can help me with a mock interview. Thanks to you all

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 21, 2019
Flaame:
congratulations! msc or undergraduate

Check ur mail boss

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by VirgoP: 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2019
Predstan:

*rolling my eyes* if you are familiar with the bible you would have seen the following
1. With prayers, supplications and thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.
2. Ask and you shall be given, seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will be opened.
3. I will have mercy on who i will have mercy on and compassion on who i will have compassion on. God's ways are mysterious...Yorubas call him AWAMARIDI. He does as he likes and no one can ever question him. He is the only one who can say YES and no one can say NO and vice versa. He opens doors no one can close and close doors no one can open.

To the Europeans/Americans/Indians and blah blah blah ya'all think dont know/acknowledge God, like seriously? undecided undecided undecided These people believe in God 100% tho not all of them buh there are believers amongst them.

Finally, if you think God doesnt exist, challenge him na and see the mysterious ways he works, hopefully, he will show up in a good way not the other way.

Ps:Low key some of you just say gibberish, deep down ya'all are scared of the outcome of your statements about God and beg him for forgiveness afterwards *shrugs*
Let everyone practice their faith in peace, dont rubbish it and say its not God cuz no one can ever take his credit. If they believe he worked in their favour then so be it.

Personally, i've experienced God show up for me in different dimensions and i believe he is a zillion percent real. Go to your dstv and see the faith channels...who do you see? Blacks?

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2019
VirgoP:

*rolling my eyes* if you are familiar with the bible you would have seen the following
1. With prayers, supplications and thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.
2. Ask and you shall be given, seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will be opened.
3. I will have mercy on who i will have mercy on and compassion on who i will have compassion on. God's ways are mysterious...Yorubas call him AWAMARIDI. He does as he likes and no one can ever question him. He is the only one who can say YES and no one can say NO and vice versa. He opens doors no one can close and close doors no one can open.

To the Europeans/Americans/Indians and blah blah blah ya'all think dont know/acknowledge God, like seriously? undecided undecided undecided These people believe in God 100% tho not all of them buh there are believers amongst them.

Finally, if you think God doesnt exist, challenge him na and see the mysterious ways he works, hopefully, he will show up in a good way not the other way.

Ps:Low key some of you just say gibberish, deep down ya'all are scared of the outcome of your statements about God and beg him for forgiveness afterwards *shrugs*
Let everyone practice their faith in peace, dont rubbish it and say its not God cuz no one can ever take his credit. If they believe he worked in their favour then so be it.

Personally, i've experienced God show up for me in different dimensions and i believe he is a zillion percent real. Go to your dstv and see the faith channels...who do you see? Blacks?

I will mention you on a different thread

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by VirgoP: 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2019
[quote author=Predstan post=80500383]

I will mention you on a different thread [/quote

Go ahead
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by VirgoP: 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2019
Predstan:

I will mention you on a different thread

Go ahead
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abone2: 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2019
Incase u are travelling through Ethiopian airways, ur attention is needed.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkkking: 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2019

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tunz93: 11:01pm On Jul 21, 2019
[quote author=Desboygok post=80488814][/quote]

Please i need the GRE materials
odunsbaba@gmail.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Akintunde22: 11:22pm On Jul 21, 2019
@ solihp, I will like to pm you, kindly inbox me your email, need to ask of some details from you, am also a statistician

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.