Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,334 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357457 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 3:14pm On Jun 17, 2019
Visa was approved this morning in Lagos. Big thanks to this forum.

Transcript.

VO: Next person, come forward(he had just denied the person in front of me and I was trying to get my mood in order).

Me: Good morning. Hands over passport and I-20.

VO: When did you graduate from your university in Nigeria?

Me : 2019

VO: What did you study?

VO: International Affairs and Global Politics

V0: Have you ever been to the U.S before?

Me: Yes.

VO: Who is sponsoring your education?

Me: I have a scholarship offer from the University of P and my mentor will cover the remaining deficits.

VO: Reaches out for a white paper and that was it!

I cannot rule out the place of God in this interview. I barely spoke for 30seconds and I did not even use any of the 'punchlines' I had rehearsed. Almost everyone that comes to the embassy has a reason to travel alongside supporting documents. It all now boils down to how convincing these reasons are and how well you are capable of avoiding loopholes when presenting your case. For instance, a woman I saw in the interview room was queried by the VO for spending over 10weeks during her last visit to the U.S and the woman responded that she had malaria. The VO exclaimed and he was like "MALARIA, IN AMERICA? I knew that was certainly a pink paper and it was no brainer. I think being confident, calm, honest and not appearing too desperate also plays a crucial role. And I think: some VOs are more lenient than others. Finally, It appears there is a conscious plan to reduce the number of Nigerians that come to the U.S through all visa types. A vast majority of the people I saw at the embassy were denied and it is all down to the faults of fellow Nigerians who abuse their visiting/student visas and the idiots who engage in internet fraud. Our leaders and we the citizens have also failed to make our country a place worthy to be called home.

Thank you nairalanders and good luck to everyone. Remember, put God first and get him involved.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 3:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
veinless:
in naira, as last week monday, d balance was 12million buh the bank was unable to print out the statement, so my sponsor left the bank in annoyance, he recently made a huge withdrawal to finance a project on friday, i already fill his details in ds160 and submitted , pls is there anything i can do , can i change sponsor?

N47,000 is nothing and you won’t get through the interview with such a paltry amount unless you have secured funding to defray most if not all of your schooling costs.

First question - who is this sponsor? Do they really have the funds to make available to you should you need it? Going to America to study is a whole lot more than getting the visa. Defaulting on your bills in the US is a very serious problem so be very sure that you have emergency funds available.

Sure you can change your sponsor to whoever you want. You can even borrow one temporarily to obtain a visa if you’d like.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 3:21pm On Jun 17, 2019
Passion2009:

Transcript.

VO: Next person, come forward(he had just denied the person in front of me and I was trying to get my mood in order).

Me: I have a scholarship offer from the University of P and my mentor will cover the remaining deficits.

I cannot rule out the place of God in this interview. I barely spoke for 30seconds and I did not even use any of the 'punchlines' I had rehearsed. Almost everyone that comes to the embassy has a reason to travel alongside supporting documents. It all now boils down to how convincing these reasons are and how well you are capable of avoiding loopholes when presenting your case. For instance, a woman I saw in the interview room was queried by the VO for spending over 10weeks during her last visit to the U.S and the woman responded that she had malaria. The VO exclaimed and he was like "MALARIA, IN AMERICA? I knew that was certainly a pink paper and it was no brainer. I think being confident, calm, honest and not appearing too desperate also plays a crucial role. And I think: some VOs are more lenient than others. Finally, It appears there is a conscious plan to reduce the number of Nigerians that come to the U.S through all visa types. A vast majority of the people I saw at the embassy were denied and it is all down to the faults of fellow Nigerians who abuse their visiting/student visas and the idiots who engage in internet fraud. Our leaders and we the citizens have also failed to make our country a place worthy to be called home.

Thank you nairalanders and good luck to everyone. Remember, put God first and get him involved.

Ok stop. You barely presented a case at all and still got your visa, so no it doesn’t simply depend on how you present your case or “god”. This is why folks here waste their time rehearsing transcripts they won’t need.

It simply depends on whether the VO was convinced that you are a bonafide student and you have the funding to cover your costs without resorting to public funds. Getting a full scholarship and a research fellowship to cover your full costs was the biggest factor in your case. I would refrain from pontificating on the flaws in others at the consulate simply because you’ve now got your visa.

We should always put God first, even for mundane things like eating, not just when we need a visa.

23 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by veinless(f): 3:23pm On Jun 17, 2019
the sponsor is my uncle and yes he can make the fund available,
pls how can i go about changing sponsor, i just spoke with my aunt and she is having d fund available in her account as i write,
thanks for your prompt response
TWoods:

N47,000 is nothing and you won’t get through the interview with such a paltry amount unless you have secured funding to defray most if not all of your schooling costs.

First question - who is this sponsor? Do they really have the funds to make available to you should you need it? Going to America to study is a whole lot more than getting the visa. Defaulting on your bills in the US is a very serious problem so be very sure that you have emergency funds available.

Sure you can change your sponsor to whoever you want. You can even borrow one temporarily to obtain a visa if you’d like.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
veinless:
the sponsor is my uncle and yes he can make the fund available,
pls how can i go about changing sponsor, i just spoke with my aunt and she is having d fund available in her account as i write,
thanks for your prompt response

Why not go with both? Should make your life easier.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flytime: 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
Passion2009:

Transcript.

Congratulations,the person that said malaria is not wise
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by veinless(f): 3:33pm On Jun 17, 2019
thanks
TWoods:

Why not go with both? Should make your life easier.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by NewAjala(m): 3:36pm On Jun 17, 2019
Congratulations to you @Shawarma.. Tennessee awaits you and I owe you one bottle of Heineken at JC. And to others who got theirs afterwards, I give glory to GOD for your testimonies.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 3:55pm On Jun 17, 2019
In case you didn't know, I love reading your comments. cheesy grin
TWoods:

Ok stop. You barely presented a case at all and still got your visa, so no it doesn’t simply depend on how you present your case or “god”. This is why folks here waste their time rehearsing transcripts they won’t need.

It simply depends on whether the VO was convinced that you are a bonafide student and you have the funding to cover your costs without resorting to public funds. Getting a full scholarship and a research fellowship to cover your full costs was the biggest factor in your case. I would refrain from pontificating on the flaws in others at the consulate simply because you’ve now got your visa.

We should always put God first, even for mundane things like eating, not just when we need a visa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 3:57pm On Jun 17, 2019
Philtos:
Good morning.

Please, does any one here knows the earliest date for Abuja.

please what is the implication of having a mother who is a legal permanent resident in the US to a VO....

Here is the background...
A friend of mine is about to go for f-1 interview after been denied a renewal B1/B2 a year ago on the basis that she just graduated and she had no strong ties to her home country... since then, she has gotten a job, given birth and her mum has become a legal resident in the US. she would like to indicate that her mother is a legal perm resident in the US (She did not indicate that before because she felt it may affect her mother who at that time was processing her GC) but she does not know what the implication would be.... she need urgent advice please?

??

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 3:59pm On Jun 17, 2019
Philtos:

Please, when is the earliest date for Abuja?
July 3
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 4:00pm On Jun 17, 2019
Philtos:

??

But she indicated that her mom is in the US previously??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2019
TWoods:

Lol. I understand your point but it's not my first time of appearing before a visa officer. I had a B1/B2 visa for years and I made my comments based on my experience in the course of different interviews as well as my experience traveling to the United States. You cannot rule out God factor; some things are beyond human explanation.

Mind you, I do not have a full scholarship and my deficit is about $30,000 and no one requested to see any SOA from me today at the embassy.

13 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 4:13pm On Jun 17, 2019
Passion2009:

Transcript.

Honestly,I have to go with position of Twoods here.
I am a realist.Yes ,I have strong believe in God but also I know I have to do my part.However,I wouldn't attribute your approval to God.You probably have a clean slate on your traveling record and also with scholarships so this is a strong profile to be approved.I know a lady that has similar profile that the VO said shoo shoo..you are taking too much I have approved.
Look,if you go to the embassy 20times you will approved so I am the least inspired with your transcripts.
Yes we got to thank our maker but personally I think we over do it .I have to say God does work wonders but certainly this is outa context.Congrats on the approval.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 4:15pm On Jun 17, 2019
Passion2009:

Lol. I understand your point but it's not my first time of appearing before a visa officer. I had a B1/B2 visa for years and I made my comments based on my experience in the course of different interviews as well as my experience traveling to the United States. You cannot rule out God factor; some things are beyond human explanation.

Mind you, I do not have a full scholarship and my deficit is about $30,000 and no one requested to see any SOA from me.

You’ve had a b1/b2 visa for years. You already established credibility so there you go... the point of the interview is to make sure you’re a bonafide student and that you intend to leave the US after your studies. What’s there to ask you if you’ve shown you can be trusted with a non-immigrant visa?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 4:22pm On Jun 17, 2019
Davidkking:

July 3

Thank you so much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 4:23pm On Jun 17, 2019
Brown2Green:

But she indicated that her mom is in the US previously??

NO.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Beautyaddy: 4:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
TWoods:

You’ve had a b1/b2 visa for years. You already established credibility so there you go... the point of the interview is to make sure you’re a bonafide student and that you intend to leave the US after your studies. What’s there to ask you if you’ve shown you can be trusted with a non-immigrant visa?

lol!...Now does any student still do such even whey they say so during the interview?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Passion2009: 4:27pm On Jun 17, 2019
Pefuele:

Honestly,I have to go with position of Twoods here.
I am a realist.Yes ,I have strong believe in God but also I know I have to do my part.However,I wouldn't attribute your approval to God.You probably have a clean slate on your traveling record and also with scholarships so this is a strong profile to be approved.I know a lady that has similar profile that the VO said shoo shoo..you are taking too much I have approved.
Look,if you go to the embassy 20times you will approved so I am the least inspired with your transcripts.
Yes we got to thank our maker but personally I think we over do it .I have to say God does work wonders but certainly this is outa context.Congrats on the approval.

A friend of mine with a similar profile was denied today right in my presence.... I don't think it's as predictable as you and Twoods projected it. It's not automatic.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by orimahspence: 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2019
TWoods:

It is glaringly self evident that organised atheism will bring more harm to mankind than organised religion. The more dangerous one is clad in garment of religion moderation. There's hardly an atheist that were s/he a believer wouldn't be dangerously fundamentalist. Always angry, always seeking out believers to curse out and attack unjustifiably, the hallmarks of the typical fanatic. Whatever is built on such vile never brings any good. And again, organised religion may have instigated some harm, but it is also true that every healthy human mind craves a tether beyond the mundane. For many, it is this quest to hinge the mind on something beyond self that constitutes their entire faith, what satisfies this in the absence of organised faith? Where in the whole of creation has a vacuum proven purposefully sustainable? It is OK to underscores the role ,influence /impact of a supreme being or even reject the his existence , but it is downright silly to insist that those who bow in unobtrusive worship, either through individualized subscription or via organised faith must quit because you somehow, by your superior brilliance know they bow to air.

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Demonicide(f): 4:38pm On Jun 17, 2019
Passion2009:

Mind you, I do not have a full scholarship and my deficit is about $30,000 and no one requested to see any SOA from me today at the embassy.
Wow! with a 30,000 scholarship you got your visa without any stress, God was truly involved. Perhaps, your traveling history to the state aided you. congrats!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2019
orimahspence:

It is glaringly self evident that organised atheism will bring more harm to mankind than organised religion. The more dangerous one is clad in garment of religion moderation. There's hardly an atheist that were s/he a believer wouldn't be dangerously fundamentalist. Always angry, always seeking out believers to curse out and attack unjustifiably, the hallmarks of the typical fanatic. Whatever is built on such vile never brings any good. And again, organised religion may have instigated some harm, but it is also true that every healthy human mind craves a tether beyond the mundane. For many, it is this quest to hinge the mind on something beyond self that constitutes their entire faith, what satisfies this in the absence of organised faith? Where in the whole of creation has a vacuum proven purposefully sustainable? It is OK to underscores the role ,influence /impact of a supreme being or even reject the his existence , but it is downright silly to insist that those who bow in unobtrusive worship, either through individualized subscription or via organised faith must quit because you somehow, by your superior brilliance know they bow to air.

I struggled to grasp what you’ve said. I’m not an atheist neither am I a religious moderate. The Christian experience is one that balances both joy and pain, laughter and tears. Jesus did not promise us mountains without valleys and a genie-in-the-bottle experience, which is all Nigerian mega Christianity is all about. It’s now a Christianity where Jesus is personally involved in granting visas but has no interest in helping Nigerians fix their country for the benefit of those too poor to seek exit visas. This “god” is indeed a strange one.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 4:46pm On Jun 17, 2019
Philtos:

NO.

She didnt indicate because at that time her mum was being filled for Green card and it was not yet approved.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 4:46pm On Jun 17, 2019
Passion2009:

Did you get the funding from a top school? Something played in your favour. Is it university of Pennsylvania?

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2019
Philtos:

NO.

Inconsistency can lead to denial.

I don't know how the VO will react either ways..

She should hope for the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2019
TWoods:

I struggled to grasp what you’ve said. I’m not an atheist neither am I a religious moderate. The Christian experience is one that balances both joy and pain, laughter and tears. Jesus did not promise us mountains without valleys and a genie-in-the-bottle experience, which is all Nigerian mega Christianity is all about. It’s now a Christianity where Jesus is personally involved in granting visas but has no interest in helping Nigerians fix their country for the benefit of those too poor to seek exit visas. This “god” is indeed a strange one.
Please don't leave this thread again. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SOJ2019: 5:13pm On Jun 17, 2019
V.O: Why are going to the US?
I: To pursue a masters degree in Criminal Justice/Safety Studies at Grand Valley State Uni.,Allendale,Michigan.

V.O: WHY THIS DEGREE?
I :
♡With respect to my career plan which is to be a crime analyst for the Anti-Robbery Department of the Nigeria police force,a master in Criminal justice or a closely security related discipline is a core requirement.
♡Considering that alot of field operatives would rely on the information I provide,this program would not only improve my mental understanding about crime but also equip me with virtually all the basic skills required to be a successful crime analyst for the Anti-Robbery Department of the Nigeria Police Force.

VO: HOW MANY SCHOOLS DID APPLY TO?
ME: 5 schools;Washington State Uni,Grand Valley State Uni,Northern Arizona State Uni,Uni of New Haven &Northeastern Uni.
VO: HOW MANY ADMIT & WHY GVSU?
ME:
♡3 admits, 1 pending & 1 reject.
My choice of institution was based on the availability of active or retired security personnel who are now lecturers. Fortunately for me,two of my professors for the fall semester were once police officers. Thus, the experiential knowledge gained would be highly influential as a crime analyst.
♡It has being my long standing opinion that GIS (Geographical information system) can be used to manage bank robbery. Thus, Prof. Cwick research on GIS and how it can be used to manage crime was a factor that influenced my choice for GVSU.
♡The course curriculum for this program and the timely responses were all major factors that influenced my decision to study @ GVSU
ME : Can I briefly say something?
♡ My admission to UNH came with a 30% scholarship but the deficit left when compared to what I have to pay @ GVSU is a bit high. This factor also influenced my decision to study @ GVSU.

VO: DID YOU WRITE ANY STANDARDIZED TEST
ME : No. While GRE was required for applicants whose GPA was below 3.0.,TOEFL was required only if the language instruction wasn't English.

VO:Who is sponsoring you??

ME: My grandfather.

VO: Why?

ME: My mum and I have lived with him since I was 6 and he has being responsible for my education since then. In addition,my mum is the only child.

Kindly help me critically dissect my proposed transcript.

Pls I need help with this

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 5:16pm On Jun 17, 2019
orimahspence:

What are you saying? He never claimed to be atheist

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gbeje: 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2019
Tears of joy flowed thru my eyes as I read ur vote of thanks and transcript - you deserve the success story dear. Congratulations!
sharwama:
SHARWAMA'S APPROVED VISA TRANSCRIPT.
Date: June 7, 2019
Venue: Lagos Consulate
Time:6:30 a.m
Gender of VO: Male
Window: I Didn't notice, I was blown away by his cuteness and jerry curl grin grin grin
Ok it was the second to last window, before the exit door.
I: (Smiling) Good morning sir
V.O: Good morning, please pass me your passport and your I-20.
I did and he was like "please push your passport a little bit further". I pushed it and asked, "is it okay now sir?"
VO: Yes it is. Why are you going to the US
I: (deep breath + killer smile) To uhm, pursue a masters degree in Biology, Biomedical Science Concentration at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City Tennessee.
V.O: Why this degree?
I: I really want to work as a research scientist at a renowned biomedical research Institute here in Nigeria. Unfortunately, a masters degree in Biology or a closely related field is the minimum requirement for such a position. So this degree would not just help me hone my research skills or build my critical thinking, it would qualify me for the position I really want, when I return.
V.O: So why did you pick this school?
I: (Gesticulating with magical hands) For me, it wasn't just about the generous funding I received, which I am extremely grateful for by the way, it had a lot more to do with the student-faculty relationship I have built with my potential supervisor, professor Burna boy. We Skyped a couple of times and we have chosen a thesis topic I am super excited about.
V.O: What other schools did you apply to?
I: I applied at Texas A&M University, Commerce
VO: uhum(while typing)
I: Cleveland State University Ohio and Kansas State University Manhattan Kansas.
VO: Have you travelled out of the country before?
I: I have not had the need to sir.
VO: Are you married
I: No sir
V.O: You said you have funding, let me see the evidence
I: My school did not give me an official letter but it's on the I-20(I pointed at the document so he looked at it)
V.O: Ok I see $9590 to be payed by someone ,who is this?
I: That's my mum sir
V.O: What does she do?
I: My mum is a business woman, she sells African fabrics and traditional bridal attires
V.O: Yes do you have any proof, I want to see evidence.
I was confused and he mentioned "or bank statement"
I: (Killer smile)Yes, with all pleasure. Just a moment please.
So I got the bank statement
V.O(while looking at the statement) Doesn't your mum have other children to sponsor in school?
I: (I never expected that question, so my English technically failed me, so I looked at him and answered) All of us have finished school, it remainder two of us.
I was so embarrassed about my grammatical blunder but I was glad he understood the point, we were all done with school except two of my siblings.
V.O: Ok, I will be approving your Visa. He hands me the white paper. Talked about pick up in three working days, gave me back my SOA and I-20, asked me to keep it carefully and I would need the latter at the port of entry... Told me to have a wonderful day
I: (Killer smile) Thank you and have a wonderful rest of the day too.
Yup, I bounced out of the building grin
THE END grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philtos: 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2019
Brown2Green:

Inconsistency can lead to denial.

I don't know how the VO will react either ways..

She should hope for the best.

Are you advising her to still stick to No or she should say yes since her mum is legally in the US now?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2019
Philtos:

Are you advising her to still stick to No or she should say yes since her mum is legally in the US now?

Like I said , it is a tough one.

She can say yes. . and hope for the best
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Marjoribanks: 5:55pm On Jun 17, 2019
I received my i-20 form today. I used eglobal (UPS).
Thank you time2smile, sophil and others.
However, one of my Research Assistantship contract was not included in my i-20 form.
Actually I was given a Research Assistant Position in two different departments. Only one was added.
I already have the contracts in my mail.
Can I go to the embassy with the i-20 and show the VO my contract or do I need to ask for another i-20.
Actually, I don't have the fund to order for another i-20.
Please house! What can I do?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.