Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (465) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1362970 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:57pm On May 22, 2020
grin grin grin Good Lord! Where are you in the US? You did not hear of young Nigerians arrested, sentenced for cyber crimes last year? The year before nko? Or you are not reading the news at all? It is too obvious to be sharing a link to a well-known fact with you. Even people in Nigeria knows.
pompeiimagnus:

Baba it was for a reason that I specifically highlighted the part where you said "staying back and engaging in cybercrimes". You made your point about policies, but for cybercrimes please show us where you got that information.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 8:01pm On May 22, 2020
fairheart:
grin grin grin Good Lord! Where are you in the US? You did not hear of young Nigerians arrested, sentenced for cyber crimes last year? The year before nko? Or you are not reading the news at all? It is too obvious to be sharing a link to a well-known fact with you. Even people in Nigeria knows.

Baba, remember we are discussing Nigerian students in the US whom you advise to have a plan B due to immigration policies. So please let us know of such news where students stay back and engage in cybercrimes. See your statement sha.

fairheart:

Whatever happens, US may someday become a country that pick up/chase out international students back to their home country (especially with the rate of young Nigerians staying back in the US and engaging in cyber crimes against American people and businesses).

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rosieumane: 8:14pm On May 22, 2020
Firefox01:
I just concluded this thread from the first page and to my joy, you're the first person I'm seeing going for a master in Communication. Is your first degree Mass Communications and how well are masters in commui communication funded please?? The House can also help me in answering if communication Masters are funded and if possible, the schools I should look towards.
Hello, my first degree is actually microbiology but I have only worked in the media industry and have some minor certifications. Your first degree doesn’t matter when applying for masters in communication. What matters is your Standardized exams (GRE, TOEFL), your GPA and your essays. The essay is very very important. I applied to four schools and I got in. Cleveland state university, university of south Alabama, yeshiva university and Illinois state university. There is always funding in US schools, it just depends on how qualified you are, how well you do in the interview or how well packaged your application is. Sometimes, your program graduate coordinator is your best bet, you impress them and they will fight to get you funding. Just put your best foot forward.

NB: I see a lot of people in this thread asking about funding from Cleveland state uni, please don’t bother, they have a funding structure that is super slim and not favorable. If it wasn’t given to you upfront with your admission letter, you are not getting any. Based on my experience sha.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Firefox01: 8:16pm On May 22, 2020
Rosieumane:
Hello, my first degree is actually microbiology but I have only worked in the media industry and have some minor certifications. Your first degree doesn’t matter when applying for masters in communication. What matters is your Standardized exams (GRE, TOEFL), your GPA and your essays. The essay is very very important. I applied to four schools and I got in. Cleveland state university, university of south Alabama, yeshiva university and Illinois state university. There is always funding in US schools, it just depends on how qualified you are, how well you do in the interview or how well packaged your application is. Sometimes, your program graduate coordinator is your best bet, you impress them and they will fight to get you funding. Just put your best foot forward.

NB: I see a lot of people in this thread asking about funding from Cleveland state uni, please don’t bother, they have a funding structure that is super slim and not favorable. If it wasn’t given to you upfront with your admission letter, you are not getting any. Based on my experience sha.
Thanks alot.

What score do you advice I should aim for in GRE? And my verbal aspect will be more focused on right?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:31pm On May 22, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:32pm On May 22, 2020
US may someday become a country that pick up/chase out international students back to their home country (especially with the rate of young Nigerians staying back in the US and engaging in cyber crimes against American people and businesses).

One of the things I always try to do on Nairaland is say what I mean and mean what I say. Look at the sentences above. I said the government may make policies that will force students to go back to their home countries after studies. I said "especially with the rate of young Nigerians staying back in the US and engaging in cyber crimes." Note that "young Nigerians" both include and exclude students who went to school, studied and graduated, and those who got their F1 but never went to school but instead hustle. You cannot take "young Nigerians" in this context to include only students who went to school and graduated. You certainly didn't read me well. This is point 1.

2, you asked for a source right? Last year, the FBI arrested over 80 people in the US for one of the largest web of cyber crimes in the US history. 77 of these people are Nigerians, mostly young people in their 20s and 30s. If you dig deeper, you'd see that most of them went for studies, went to school, or didn't go at all (but there are those they filed for, too).
Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/08/charges-80-people-nigerians-46m-internet-scam-190823071850782.html

From personal experience now. A friend called me 4 days ago. He was following this thread. He told me that FBI arrested the boyfriend of their apartment cook, a Nigerian youth on F1. He was tracked and picked up at the store he was working as cashier. He was arrested for cyber crime. He's been sent to 30 years in jail; this is a very fresh case. In 2016, a guy was deported from the US because he was engaged in runs while on active F1 visa. If I should begin listing instances one friend or the other, or someone they know was caught in the act, everything will feel very negative to you.

So I wrote in this context. When the FBI is arresting young Nigerians in the US for cyber crimes, you can tell that this is not good for the future of potential young Nigerians that will want to travel to the US. As long as some of these guys moved in with F1 visa, it is bad for the future of prospective applicants that will want to travel to the US in the future. These are occurrences that force politicians to review policies.
Same with the ban that was placed on K1 visa. You think the US government just woke up on night and said, "Look, we don't want Nigerians to have our K1 visa anymore," no! Some people said Nigeria was added because Trump is a racist. Lies! They have their fact, gathered over long period of time that was used as key instrument in issuing that ban. They are asking keeping record of those cyber crimes!

When one tree falls, its ripples are felt in the forest. Na small, small bad things dey spoil big and good stuff.

pompeiimagnus:

Baba, remember we are discussing Nigerian students in the US whom you advise to have a plan B due to immigration policies. So please let us know of such news where students stay back and engage in cybercrimes. See your statement sha.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 8:55pm On May 22, 2020
fairheart:

One of the things I always try to do on Nairaland is say what I mean and mean what I say. Look at the sentences above. I said the government may make policies that will force students to go back to their home countries after studies. I said "especially with the rate of young Nigerians staying back in the US and engaging in cyber crimes." Note that "young Nigerians" both include and exclude students who went to school, studied and graduated, and those who got their F1 but never went to school but instead hustle. You cannot take "young Nigerians" in this context to include only students who went to school and graduated. You certainly didn't read me well. This is point 1.

Baba, you are in no position to predict what future policies will be, so stick to what you are very good at which is coaching applicants for visa interviews. You basically have no case. Why not compare what you just posted with the large number of Nigerians doing very well in their careers here?

Everyone on a student visa tries to follow the law, the problem has always been folks committing crimes on immigrant visas or tourist visas who decide to overstay. That is why the US government placed that ban until our Ministry of Foreign Affairs meets the information sharing requirements they have asked for.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:09pm On May 22, 2020
What are you against exactly? that my post discouraged cyber crime? or that I mentioned it in my post? The negative side of things should not be overlooked. But I think you have issue with that anyway. I also know young Nigerians that are doing very well, pulling off feats, helping their schools, lecturing, etc. If it is the idea of talking about the ones committing crimes (or you personally have issue with that), I will talk about it when I feel like as long as I know that someone will see it and take caution.

I think you have issue!

"Don't talk about the negativity." This is exactly the view that destroys the positive ones. Because as you overlook the damage done by the negative ones, it spreads and overtake the good ones. But you know what? We are not on the same page in experience and exposure, so kindly avoid my future post. And I will not reply you again.

pompeiimagnus:

Baba, you are in no position to predict what future policies will be, so stick to what you are very good at which is coaching applicants for visa interviews. You basically have no case. Why not compare what you just posted with the large number of Nigerians doing very well in their careers here?

Everyone on a student visa tries to follow the law, the problem has always been folks committing crimes on immigrant visas or tourist visas who decide to overstay. That is why the US government placed that ban until our Ministry of Foreign Affairs meets the information sharing requirements they have asked for.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 9:16pm On May 22, 2020
fairheart:
What are you against exactly? that my post discouraged cyber crime? or that I mentioned it in my post? The negative side of things should not be overlooked. But I think you have issue with that anyway. I also know young Nigerians that are doing very well, pulling off feats, helping their schools, lecturing, etc. If it is the idea of talking about the ones committing crimes (or you personally have issue with that), I will talk about it when I feel like as long as I know that someone will see it and take caution.

I think you have issue!

"Don't talk about the negativity." This is exactly the view that destroys the positive ones. Because as you overlook the damage done by the negative ones, it spreads and overtake the good ones. But you know what? We are not on the same page on experience and exposure, so kindly avoid my future post. And I will not reply you again.

I basically have lots of time on my hands to counter whatever you say because my virtual internship is still a few weeks away. The positive ones you mentioned know what is right and will follow the law while they are here. So when you try to discourage them with irrelevant news about "Nigerians staying back and committing cybercrimes" I will keep tackling you.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Zeezu3104: 9:22pm On May 22, 2020
Please I want to know if someone who graduated with 2.35 CGPA can apply for masters in political science your response will be appreciated thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:34pm On May 22, 2020
Because I am usually moved to provide direction to those who may need it, I will take back that part of my comment where I said I'll not reply you again. I could see you have no clue what to do with the "lots of time on your hands." Why not use it to get some exposure? Why not use it to read about the category of visa that was banned? I see you don't have a clue as to which is!

Also, take out time to read about the danger of overlooking ills in the midst of goods. What happen when negative activities are overlooked in a society simply because of the many people that are doing well? Use google to research that! You may also want to learn how to do constructive arguement, as you lack that in all your comments under my posts. As for your internship, take some time too to read more about what you will be working on. I am sure you are not yet an expert in your field. Would you also invest some of those lots of time on your hands to learn more, dig deeper? Remember, you are supposed to understand in and out of that field?

These are some of the things you should invest your time on. Thinking you can tackle me is like trying to smolder the Sun; you don't want to burn your hands and have ashes on your face! Enjoy your time!
Now, I re-issue that statement: I will not reply you again. cool

pompeiimagnus:

I basically have lots of time on my hands to counter whatever you say because my virtual internship is still a few weeks away. The positive ones you mentioned know what is right and will follow the law while they are here. So when you try to discourage them with irrelevant news about "Nigerians staying back and committing cybercrimes" I will keep tackling you.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 9:37pm On May 22, 2020
It is very funny that you kept arguing about this issue.There are a lot of positives on @fairheart's post and what actually led to the argument was just a side note on his part. And I believe he is right actually. A lot of Nigerian students do very well in the US, they excel,
but so are a lot of Chinese, Indians and Other Nationalities. In fact doing well has become the new normal, personally I know at least six pals of mine who graduated with a 4.0 CGPA at various postgraduate programs in various schools across the USA during this may commencement programs. Let me also tell you that we are inherently more eager to punish than to reward. US administrators have a duty to protect their country and if there are bad trends from a particular nationality, they have to look into it and do something about it. For example, currently, students from countries with high rates of religious extremism do not have it easy with the Visa process. Just last year,
an Iranian student who was supposed to resume in Harvard was detained and later turned back at the POE.

I think the point the OP was trying to raise is the slippery slope these evil perpetrators and bad representatives of Nigeria has put us. Follow the narratives from the US media closely, even that from US movies and TV series, they can't help it but make reference to Nigeria and fraud. Just last week, I read about an unemployment benefit claim scam that was ran by Naija guys. With time, even the citizens will start clamouring for action from the government. If you do research, you will know sometimes, decisions are made from experiences
pompeiimagnus:

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:53pm On May 22, 2020
You can! the GPA should increase after WES evaluation.
Zeezu3104:
Please I want to know if someone who graduated with 2.35 CGPA can apply for masters in political science your response will be appreciated thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 10:02pm On May 22, 2020
sonofakin:
It is very funny that you kept arguing about this issue.There are a lot of positives on @fairheart's post and what actually led to the argument was just a side note on his part. And I believe he is right actually. A lot of Nigerian students do very well in the US, they excel,
but so are a lot of Chinese, Indians and Other Nationalities. In fact doing well has become the new normal, personally I know at least six pals of mine who graduated with a 4.0 CGPA at various postgraduate programs in various schools across the USA during this may commencement programs. Let me also tell you that we are inherently more eager to punish than to reward. US administrators have a duty to protect their country and if there are bad trends from a particular nationality, they have to look into it and do something about it. For example, currently, students from countries with high rates of religious extremism do not have it easy with the Visa process. Just last year,
an Iranian student who was supposed to resume in Harvard was detained and later turned back at the POE.

I think the point the OP was trying to raise is the slippery slope these evil perpetrators and bad representatives of Nigeria has put us. Follow the narratives from the US media closely, even that from US movies and TV series, they can't help it but make reference to Nigeria and fraud. Just last week, I read about an unemployment benefit claim scam that was ran by Naija guys. With time, even the citizens will start clamouring for action from the government. If you do research, you will know sometimes, decisions are made from experiences

I will never be in support of crime but are you guys implying that we are worse than these nationalities you just mentioned?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Acuna91: 10:05pm On May 22, 2020
Please who is very familiar with Texas A&M university kingville. Please help a brother with the processes involved in applying for Admissions and deadlines.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 10:06pm On May 22, 2020
fairheart:
Because I am usually moved to provide direction to those who may need it, I will take back that part of my comment where I said I'll not reply you again. I could see you have no clue what to do with the "lots of time on your hands." Why not use it to get some exposure? Why not use it to read about the category of visa that was banned? I see you don't have a clue as to which is!

Also, take out time to read about the danger of overlooking ills in the midst of goods. What happen when negative activities are overlooked in a society simply because of the many people that are doing well? Use google to research that! You may also want to learn how to do constructive arguement, as you lack that in all your comments under my posts. As for your internship, take some time too to read more about what you will be working on. I am sure you are not yet an expert in your field. Would you also invest some of those lots of time on your hands to learn more, dig deeper? Remember, you are supposed to understand in and out of that field?

These are some of the things you should invest your time on. Thinking you can tackle me is like trying to smolder the Sun; you don't want to burn your hands and have ashes on your face! Enjoy your time!
Now, I re-issue that statement: I will not reply you again. cool

I'm not an expert sha, I still dey learn work but i dey try smiley smiley smiley Now you've turned to philosophy. I rest my case cos I no sabi philosophy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 10:06pm On May 22, 2020
Aderin0la:
GTbank is “taking” Visa fee. I know quite a few people that have paid, and I’m paying for mine today too.

What I wouldn’t advise anyone to pay is the Sevis fee.

Isn't SEVIS fee normally paid before VISA fees?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 10:35pm On May 22, 2020
There are different crimes, some of which are peculiar to certain countries. All these lead to unwarranted stereotypical assumptions and prejudice. Even though the number of Nigerian Internet fraudsters are negligible when compared to our total population, the negative effects of their actions are indeed significant on our reputation.
pompeiimagnus:

I will never be in support of crime but are you guys implying that we are worse than these nationalities you just mentioned?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Aderin0la: 10:38pm On May 22, 2020
No, there’s no specific order. You can pay whichever you’re comfortable with ist.

Friedpotato:

Isn't SEVIS fee normally paid before VISA fees?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:42pm On May 22, 2020
pompeiimagnus:

Baba, you are in no position to predict what future policies will be, so stick to what you are very good at which is coaching applicants for visa interviews..

Louder Please

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Acuna91: 11:18pm On May 22, 2020
Hello guys!

Please I need help regarding universities that offer partial or full funding for Msc. I am not very familiar with the USA universities. I am doing my research already but if you have any list or tips that will help I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks guys.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Zeezu3104: 12:47am On May 23, 2020
fairheart:
You can! the GPA should increase after WES evaluation.
okay thanks a lot
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DreManuel(m): 1:15am On May 23, 2020
Acuna91:
Hello guys!

Please I need help regarding universities that offer partial or full funding for Msc. I am not very familiar with the USA universities. I am doing my research already but if you have any list or tips that will help I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks guys.

Literally any school in the U.S. can give you partial or full-funding. It only depends on how far the strength of your application materials can carry you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 2:43am On May 23, 2020
DreManuel:

You’ve raised some valid points but let me offer another perspective.

You can actually perform the role of a TA/GA (depending on what the role is) remotely. I did it. Professors still need graders and office-hours are still conducted online. RA role is tricky if you’re not in the U.S. so I can’t vouch for that.

You can get paid without a SSN. Schools can give you something in the form of a Temporary Control Number (TCN) pending the time you receive your SSN.

At this point, I would take what my school says as sacrosanct before making a final decision.

How will they pay the person if you are in Nigeria? How will the person open a US account. Did you get paid remotely while you were in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DreManuel(m): 3:36am On May 23, 2020
Time2win:

How will they pay the person if you are in Nigeria? How will the person open a US account. Did you get paid remotely while you were in Nigeria?

That’s a great question the school can answer. Obviously, one may not be able to open a U.S. account offshore. These are unprecedented times and ways are made around some things.

What I know is that the school either pays via direct deposit or mail a check which is good for 6 months.

For the records, I’m not in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 4:01am On May 23, 2020
DreManuel:

That’s a great question the school can answer. Obviously, one may not be able to open a U.S. account offshore. These are unprecedented times and ways are made around some things.

What I know is that the school either pays via direct deposit or mail a check which is good for 6 months.

For the records, I’m not in Nigeria.

Okay, I wanted to know if you got paid outside US while working remotely. when i was in Nigeria, I couldn't cash out a US check so I doubt if that's an option for those outside US.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abby190(f): 6:10am On May 23, 2020
hello, please who is very familiar with California state university San Marcos here.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by uche06: 8:38am On May 23, 2020
Please universities waiving application fees and GRE in 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by wongwe: 8:48am On May 23, 2020
uche06:
Please universities waiving application fees and GRE in 2020

What happened to them?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by uche06: 9:16am On May 23, 2020
[I need information to applyquote author=wongwe post=89863850]

What happened to them? [/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RealTrump: 9:39am On May 23, 2020
fairheart:

Every country has their own criminals but it baffles me that we Nigerians think we are the worst criminals around.

Next time you wish to talk about crime rate, can you at least consider the total population too? Over there, Nigeria will always have a higher crime rate than Ghana. Why? Cos we have more population than them. But guess what? We will always make more good headlines than them. It's just simple arithmetic.

We have a set of countries who have turned your country to a wasteland, but they still turn around n call u d worst criminal and you believe them.

Secondly, if there are criminals in a country...check it very well, that country encourages criminal activities.

Ban all Nigerians from America today, their crime rate wouldn't decrease, it might even increase.

Regarding the resumption, I will still maintain the position I held around two months ago. Carry on with whatever you are doing, that border is not opening this year. Why? Because is it the only sensible thing for America to do. A country that can't even restart their sporting activities... you really think they r going to throw the doors open? Even schools in Nigeria are not opening soon. Corona messed up my plans too, but God dey.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.