Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,244 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (466) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1370964 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Summertime: 10:46am On May 23, 2020
Okay
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Northeastern: 11:08am On May 23, 2020
Y’all are conversant with cases of crimes committed by Nigerians because it’s your country. Everyone knows that Indians are the undisputed number one when it comes to criminal acts in the U.S and Canada. From my experience, they’re the worst set of people on earth. Employers know them as liars because they claim what they’re not on their resume.

A friend once asked an analytics guy of how to get an analytics job post graduation, the only advice he was given is to never lie like Indians. They are number one in exam malpractices in the U.S. Go to YouTube and search for Indian scammers and you’ll be amazed of how many videos are there. In fact, there are many YouTube channels focusing on those scammers

Is it Mexicans and drugs you want to talk about or MS 13 gangs from Central America? Long story short, if crimes were to be used to restrict entry to the U.S, the hammer will fall on India, first, and many others before getting to us.

24 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Firefox01: 11:13am On May 23, 2020
Northeastern:
Y’all are conversant with cases of crimes committed by Nigerians because it’s your country. Everyone knows that Indians are the undisputed number one when it comes to criminal acts in the U.S and Canada. From my experience, they’re the worst set of people on earth. Employers know them as liars because they claim what they’re not on their resume.

A friend once asked an analytics guy of how to get an analytics job post graduation, the only advice he was given is to never lie like Indians. They are number one in exam malpractices in the U.S. Go to YouTube and search for Indian scammers and you’ll be amazed of how many videos are there. In fact, there are many YouTube channels focusing on those scammers

Is it Mexicans and drugs you want to talk about or MS 13 gangs from Central America? Long story short, if crimes were to be used to restrict entry to the U.S, the hammer will fall on India, first, and many others before getting to us.
This is refreshing to read. I'm a fall 2022/2023 aspirant and I was already scared of what our chances would be by then.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Northeastern: 11:24am On May 23, 2020
Firefox01:
This is refreshing to read. I'm a fall 2022/2023 aspirant and I was already scared of what our chances would be by then.

Why 2022? What are you coming to study?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Firefox01: 11:36am On May 23, 2020
Northeastern:

Why 2022? What are you coming to study?
Cos I'm just a 300 level student and Rona has slowed down the time table drastically. Masters in communication or journalism.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:39am On May 23, 2020
You should read the original posts that led to the one you quoted. There's no where I said or opined that Nigerians are the worst criminals in the US. I only quipped the cyber crime part as a factor that may be considered in the future if young Nigerians in the US keep engaging in crimes against American people and businesses.

The guy that said he had time to tackle me just took everything out of proportion because he didn't read to understand. It is baffling!
As for when the US embassy is opening, I really wouldn't say the border will remain shut throughout this year. In fact, the department of state is currently working with EU to design reciprocal rules of engagement for international travelers from Europe and those going from the U.S. But nobody knows when things will normalise, that is for sure.
RealTrump:

Every country has their own criminals but it baffles me that we Nigerians think we are the worst criminals around.

Next time you wish to talk about crime rate, can you at least consider the total population too? Over there, Nigeria will always have a higher crime rate than Ghana. Why? Cos we have more population than them. But guess what? We will always make more good headlines than them. It's just simple arithmetic.

We have a set of countries who have turned your country to a wasteland, but they still turn around n call u d worst criminal and you believe them.

Secondly, if there are criminals in a country...check it very well, that country encourages criminal activities.

Ban all Nigerians from America today, their crime rate wouldn't decrease, it might even increase.

Regarding the resumption, I will still maintain the position I held around two months ago. Carry on with whatever you are doing, that border is not opening this year. Why? Because is it the only sensible thing for America to do. A country that can't even restart their sporting activities... you really think they r going to throw the doors open? Even schools in Nigeria are not opening soon. Corona messed up my plans too, but God dey.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Northeastern: 11:42am On May 23, 2020
Firefox01:
Cos I'm just a 300 level student and Rona has slowed down the time table drastically. Masters in communication or journalism.

I see. Nail your GPA and be best.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Firefox01: 12:42pm On May 23, 2020
Northeastern:

I see. Nail your GPA and be best.
Thank you. Its the plan.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by obajoey(m): 7:13pm On May 23, 2020
Does Illinois Institute of Technology give funding like GA with funding?
They gave me partial tuition scholarship of $10k, but the balance na "egungun be careful"

Past, present, future students if IIT, pls any possibility of funding.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electronic(m): 7:43pm On May 23, 2020
Audio funding. Try smaller schools bro.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:13pm On May 23, 2020
Abeg are there any chances that embassies would resume soon?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 8:51pm On May 23, 2020
Hi everyone, can someone who initially booked an interview appointment with Abuja subsequently change his/her appointment location to Lagos afterwards. Please, is this possible? Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kemmystree2015: 10:04pm On May 23, 2020
reigningme:
Please ooo, advisers and gurus in the house, kindly advise me on this. I no sabi anything oo. Na beg I dey beg. Let me quicky apprise you on the following. I have been admitted to the following schools for fall 2020:
(1) Rowan University ( MS Data Analytics, awaiting GA)-
(2)Mercyhurst University (Ms. Data Science)-awaiting GA
(3) Bowling Green State University (MS Data Science)- awaiting GA
(4) NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (MS Information Systems)

Here is my thinking:
(1) Due to this extraordinary time, I want to defer the admissions
(2) Due to the paucity of funds, I want to make Northwest Missouri state Uni my final bus stop. since it is cheaper even without funding. But they do award GA second semester and they have on-campus jobs.

Please note I have the following pending
(a) Grand valley state University (MS Applied Computer Science, Ms. Health informatics (just a trial)). I got a reject for MS Data Science and Analytics
(b) Cleveland State University (Ms. Computer information systems, Ms. Software Engineering)
(c) Southeast Missouri State University (MNS Mathematics).

I NEED YOUR CANDID ADVICE PLSSS. Is there anyone in this schools I have been admitted including Grand Valley State University.

MS information system, Northwest Missouri dey here too ooooo.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kemmystree2015: 10:16pm On May 23, 2020
kemmystree2015:

MS information system, Northwest Missouri dey here too ooooo.
I also got admitted for Fall and also Southeast state uni Missouri( Cybersecurity)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by obajoey(m): 10:20pm On May 23, 2020
electronic:
Audio funding. Try smaller schools bro.

lol.. Audio funding.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 4hranc: 12:08am On May 24, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have been following this thread for quite a while now, and it has been highly informative for me. I am preparing for visa interview whenever the embassy give the green light for F1 interviews, and I will like a thorough review/criticism of my proposed transcript.

Please do not hesitate to raise further questions that I can also answer.

VO; Good morning, pass me your I-20
Me: Good morning, here it is (passing the document to the officer)

VO: what are you going to the US for?
Me: I'm going to earn a doctoral degree in Sport and Exercise Science, with emphasis on Biomechanics at the University of Northern Colorado (UNCO), Greeley.

VO: Why did you choose UNCO?
Me: UNCO has a highly regarded Sport and Exercise Science doctoral program that uses an interdisciplinary approach to prepare one for teaching, research and scientific writing. These are skills/competencies critical to take my career in the academia forward. Asides the top-notch biomechanics research facilities at UNCO, working with an outstanding mentor like Prof JS, in a nascent research area of postural stability among oncology patients will prepare me to standout in the competition for faculty appointments on my return to Nigeria. UNCO has a graduate faculty placement rate close to 100 percent. Additionally, I was offered a full time graduate teaching assistantship position that came with full tuition waiver, and a monthly stipend to upgrade my laboratory teaching skillset.

VO: How did you hear about the school?
Me: As a Biomechanics enthusiast, I follow happenings on an online Biomechanics forum called Biomech-l. It was on this platform that I read about Prof JS's research and the school. Following our email exchanges and conversations, he encouraged me to apply to the PhD program of his school built on personalized mentorship. This mentorship and interdisciplinary approach to research is what I have always wanted for my doctoral training.

VO: How many institutions did you apply to?
Me: I only applied to UNCO. Though I contacted Professors at University of Pittsburgh and University of Kentucky, I got no response from either.

VO: Did you write any exam.
Me: Yes, GRE. Test of English was waived for me on request, based on my academic and work history.

VO: What was your Test Score
Me: I scored 294; V-150 & Q-144

VO: what do you mean when you said work history?
Me: I have been lecturing at the Department of PT, of a state university for over three years now. I have also been involved in a number of research activities that as resulted in peer reviewed journal publications.

VO: What will your program be like?
Me: My PhD program at UNCO entails taking courses such a Biomechanics of Locomotion, Advanced Biomechanics, and undertaking supervised practicum in college Teaching. I expect to learn high-level research methods and technologies, in addition to professional standards in clinical practice and Biomechanics applications for cancer rehabilitation. The program will cover advanced statistics, research design, quantitative methods, laboratory techniques and computer-aided research.

VO: What will your responsibility be as a graduate assistant?
Me: I am expected to work 18 hours per week as an instructor of record for undergraduate students in the Biomechanics laboratory and also conduct research.

VO: What do you plan to do with your degree?
Me: I intend to return back to my lecturing position at the state university on a much improved appointment to the one I currently have. In collaboration with the faculty at UNCO and biomechanists around the world, I hope to setup a biomechanics research laboratory that would be focused on improving the quality of life of cancer survivors in Nigeria.

I am open to your reviews please.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 4:25am On May 24, 2020
Sharon8:
Hi everyone, can someone who initially booked an interview appointment with Abuja subsequently change his/her appointment location to Lagos afterwards. Please, is this possible? Thanks.

Yes, but you have to cancel that of Abuja first. Remember, you can only cancel/reschedule once
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by seglius(m): 6:02am On May 24, 2020
congrats my brother. pls how many day(s) it took for them to send you the funding mail after the congratulations mail was sent?

obajoey:
Does Illinois Institute of Technology give funding like GA with funding?
They gave me partial tuition scholarship of $10k, but the balance na "egungun be careful"

Past, present, future students if IIT, pls any possibility of funding.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by obajoey(m): 6:28am On May 24, 2020
seglius:
congrats my brother. pls how many day(s) it took for them to send you the funding mail after the congratulations mail was sent?

I saw it on my admission status page/portal.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharonte: 6:54am On May 24, 2020
Good morning Guys, I am a newbie here, I have been reading and following the thread. But I need someone to put me through on the stage of filling DS 160. where do I get that please.

thank you.

fairheart:
Subsequent to my former post, you can just secure your I-20 ahead (obtain a soft copy for now), start filling your DS-160 bit by bit, prepare your interview transcript--all done under a huge blanket of HOPE.

But don't pay the visa fee and SEVIS yet. If your passport has expired, renew it now. Don't put off those prerequisites to the interview, except for payment of sevis and visa fee (GTB won't take visa fee from anyone now self).

I have a few students in my DM asking if they should defer. DO NOT defer yet! I advice that you wait till August 10 (based on my calculation) before you defer. By then you'd have known that Fall 2020 is no-no.

If you have a GA and your school is among those universities putting all courses online, you may be required to start your program from Nigeria online. I even have information that some GA works will will be conducted from remote locations. University of North Carolina at Charlotte, for example, is trying to conduct some of its Master's programs 100% online. It may be possible to retain your GA role. Will they pay you? To which account? These are some of the questions I have been asked...

Well, from experience, nobody knows. But consider the possibility of taking your courses online in case your school go with that. Will you do online course? I know it is not lively and interactive as face-to-face in a four-walled classroom.

Well, all the best!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 7:43am On May 24, 2020
[quote author=Sharonte post=89896539]Good morning Guys, I am a newbie here, I have been reading and following the thread. But I need someone to put me through on the stage of filling DS 160. where do I get that please.

thank you.

Check this link, you will see the link to the ds 160 at the end. https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-ds160complete.asp
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 4hranc: 8:16am On May 24, 2020
Aderin0la:
GTbank is “taking” Visa fee. I know quite a few people that have paid, and I’m paying for mine today too.

What I wouldn’t advise anyone to pay is the Sevis fee.

Why if I bay ask?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rkarang: 9:12am On May 24, 2020
Northeastern:

Insightful comment! At least an holistic point of view

Even some Chinese would stay back, work and stealthily be working for “their” government. Stealing US government information.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Aderin0la: 12:05pm On May 24, 2020
Majorly because of the uncertainties surrounding Fall 2020...

The Sevis fee could be paid at least 3 days before your interview date, so there’s no need to rush. Peradventure this Fall also doesn’t work, and we have to defer till Fall next year (for programs with no January start date), the Sevis fee MAY expire before you book your interview next year. So it’s better to lose the visa fee of N62,400 only, than to loose both the visa and Sevis fee that amounts to about N200,000.

But if you have it or feel like paying, you’re totally free to.

4hranc:

Why if I bay ask?

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by timidot(m): 5:47pm On May 24, 2020
Me too same school same course funding not available
Amazingoreofe:
I also got admitted into construction management at bowling Green for fall 2020 but I was told funding isn't available at the moment
Please what do you advise I do
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by timidot(m): 6:00pm On May 24, 2020
Plss house what is d chances of someone getting visa that didnt do GRE even thou it was waived by the school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Firefox01: 6:07pm On May 24, 2020
timidot:
Plss house what is d chances of someone getting visa that didnt do GRE even thou it was waived by the school
From what I've read pages back, writing GRE makes you seem serious in front of the VO but not writing it doesn't mean you won't get the Visa. It depends on how you handle your interview and the VO at the end of it all.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 6:09pm On May 24, 2020
Guys what would you all do when OPT and H1B visas are finally restricted or scrapped? That reality seems highly likely in the coming weeks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 7:16pm On May 24, 2020
kastgeraldino:
Guys what would you all do when OPT and H1B visas are finally restricted or scrapped? That reality seems highly likely in the coming weeks.

You guys just love creating unnecessary panic.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:34pm On May 24, 2020
Did you see the link?
Sharonte:
Good morning Guys, I am a newbie here, I have been reading and following the thread. But I need someone to put me through on the stage of filling DS 160. where do I get that please.

thank you.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 7:49pm On May 24, 2020
kastgeraldino:

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 8:01pm On May 24, 2020
kastgeraldino:

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.