Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,790 members, 7,831,553 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1368896 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2020
Predstan:

Schools don't waive GRE, department does. GRE is still required if you want to apply to schools and have variety of choices to choose from. Again, if you don't want people todiscuss GRE or SAT,you can stop visiting the thread because that's the purpose of this Thread.

SMH for you bro.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 5:14pm On Jul 05, 2020
Geewin69:

SMH for you bro.

You think your few admissions during this period of the Pandemic means schools will not go back to asking for GRE? my prayer for you is to get your Visa before the pandemic is over or you will have to go back and write the GRE and hopefully will not be required to provide vaccine evidence against the virus. Thats when you will know why these discussions are necessary.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 5:28pm On Jul 05, 2020
Schrodinger1:

Of course, everyone knows.

SOA needs authentication for I-20 collection.

Authentication of SOA before issuance of i-20 by US schools is rare, expect you're being sponsored by an organization, government or a body, and the available proof of sponsorship is a letter.
I can't remember the last time I see any student here or any of my students mention it for individual sponsor.
Which school are you going?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2020
Predstan:

You think your few admissions during this period of the Pandemic means schools will not go back to asking for GRE? my prayer for you is to get your Visa before the pandemic is over or you will have to go back and write the GRE and hopefully will not be required to provide vaccine evidence against the virus. Thats when you will know why these discussions are necessary.

What does my getting a visa have to do with this?

You're missing the point bros.

Is discussing the GRE wrong? Absolutely not.
This is the issue I had:
Some folks began to bicker over the GRE, and at a point they obviously became so overwhelmed by the desire to prove the superiority of their opinions. But to what end?
It took up 3 pages of unnecessary arguments!
Now, should that be done on a public forum?
That's the issue I'm tackling bro.
Of course the GRE is essential, and schools/departments only temporarily suspended it due to covid.
But people come here everyday hoping to hear about a new development regarding schools, visas, etc, not some prolonged personal arguments.

As a reminder, the name of the thread is 'General USA Student Visa Enquiries' sir.

And I pray the same prayers for you too. wink

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 5:37pm On Jul 05, 2020
I don't know if you are trying to apply for US student Visa or not. But in the case you are, when the VO asks you if you took any standardized test. Reply "Yes", then start listing GNS305, EDH419, MPT213, basically mention all the courses you took in the university
sexylassie2:

You do not understand what is standardized test.

Continuous assessment tests and final exams are all standardized test.

Internal exams are all standardized test.

From primary to university, we all took standardized test to get admitted into any department we want.

I hope you know that to gain admission into a department, you have to write a standardized test called post jamb, and the best are given placement.

BTW, most exams whether internal or external are made to be taken once.

16 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2020
People get a lot of information from here including how to get into schools. GRE is a process too. I agree that the discussion took a while. But IMO, such is needed sometimes, as long as the arguments are constructive. For me, I learnt a lot. What should people be talking about anyway, vetting transcript?
Geewin69:

This is the issue I had:
Some folks began to bicker over the GRE, and at a point they obviously became so overwhelmed by the desire to prove the superiority of their opinions. To what end?
It took up 3 pages of unnecessary arguments
Of course the GRE is essential, and schools/departments only temporarily suspended it due to covid.
People come here everyday hoping to hear about a new development regarding schools, visas, etc, not some prolonged personal arguments.

As a reminder, the name of the thread is 'General USA Student Visa Enquiries' sir.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 5:49pm On Jul 05, 2020
sonofakin:
People get a lot of information from here including how to get into schools. GRE is a process too. I agree that the discussion took a while. But IMO, such is needed sometimes, as long as the arguments are constructive. For me, I learnt a lot. What should people be talking about anyway, vetting transcript?

Well said chief.
The arguments were good, but became somewhat obnoxious when the parties involved started flexing knowledge muscles.

Each one wanted to prove himself right.

I doubt if a public forum like this is the best place for such.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 5:51pm On Jul 05, 2020
Geewin69:

This is the issue I had:
Some folks began to bicker over the GRE, and at a point they obviously became so overwhelmed by the desire to prove the superiority of their opinions. But to what end?
It took up 3 pages of unnecessary arguments!
But people come here everyday hoping to hear about a new development regarding schools, visas, etc, not some prolonged personal arguments.

You will come back to realise these discussions are necessary. Justwise knows when it is enough and getting too much. But Man, let's keep riding for the Visa, I'm also looking for H1B.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 5:53pm On Jul 05, 2020
Predstan:

You will come back to realise these discussions are necessary. Justwise knows when it is enough and getting too much. But Man, let's keep riding for the Visa, I'm also looking for H1B.

I'm not coming back to realize anything bro.

Goodluck on your quest for the H1B.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:01pm On Jul 05, 2020
Predstan:

H1B hunter grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2020
Geewin69:

Well said chief.
The arguments were good, but became somewhat obnoxious when the parties involved started flexing knowledge muscles.
Each one wanted to prove himself right.
I doubt if a public forum like this is the best place for such.
True, a public forum should stick to its goal, but that is rarely possible when people from different walks of life, of low and high exposure, are on the same forum. Although I didn't see any of the GRE arguments or participated in it, I think what sparked it must have been misinformation by students who didn't really understand how gaining admission in the US works. But maybe not.

People bring their little experiences on "US schools admission" to this thread and assume they are right. I think it's normal to educate them, and in doing so, the subject could create a stretchy thread.

Imagine someone up there quoting me that "everyone knows" that authentication of SOAs are required for issuance of i-20. When you overlook misinformation like this, you put other students (who take such information as fact) in unnecessary pressure and stress. It's one of the reasons someone like me still comes here. Do you know that a friend had to chat me up and ask for clarification, and I had to tell her she shouldn't bother herself. Sometimes, I wish to overlook some comments here, but then, I'd thought: "This needs to be corrected." We are all learning.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2020
sonofakin:
I don't know if you are trying to apply for US student Visa or not. But in the case you are, when the VO asks you if you took any standardized test. Reply "Yes", then start listing GNS305, EDH419, MPT213, basically mention all the courses you took in the university

all courses you took in the university had standardized test and exams and the grades are all written in your transcript, these grades and test ended up becoming your GPA and CGPA.

these GPA and CGPA determines whether you will have a first class, second class(U or L), third class or pass

If you had a good grade, you will be given priority over those who had bad grade in a merit base society

Whether you like it or not standardised test in a merit base society will either make you or break you and can also determine your pay.

Lastly, those that did good in standardised test are given lot of scholarships, if you do your research well about 5-6 elite schools are ready to give scholarships to those who do extremely well in standardised test while those who do poor or have taken the exams 2-5 times are usually admitted in some unknown school in some unknown area grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 6:27pm On Jul 05, 2020
fairheart:

True, a public forum should stick to its goal, but that is rarely possible when people from different walks of life, of low and high exposure, are on the same forum. Although I didn't see any of the GRE arguments or participated in it, I think what sparked it must have been misinformation by students who didn't really understand how gaining admission in the US works. But maybe not.

People bring their little experiences on "US schools admission" to this thread and assume they are right. I think it's normal to educate them, and in doing so, the subject could create a stretchy thread.

Imagine someone up there quoting me that "everyone knows" that authentication of SOAs are required for issuance of i-20. When you overlook misinformation like this, you put other students (who take such information as fact) in unnecessary pressure and stress. It's one of the reasons someone like me still comes here. Do you know that a friend had to chat me up and ask for clarification, and I had to tell her she shouldn't bother herself. Sometimes, I wish to overlook some comments here, but then, I'd thought: "This needs to be corrected." We are all learning.

You're right brother. Totally.

Like @sonofakin noted earlier, as far as the arguments are constructive, they are welcome. In fact they are needed. People learn an awful lot here.

But then, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, right? So why must someone take so much pain and effort just to try to establish the superiority of their opinion?

And that, on a public forum.

What happened to laying down your facts with evidence and allowing the people to learn and pick what is relevant for them, rather than debating and bickering?

That's not an intelligent way to converse, I think?
Especially seeing it is a public forum.

This was my bone of contention.

Thank you for your comments once again.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2020
Geewin69:

You're right brother. Totally.

Like @sonofakin noted earlier, as far as the arguments are constructive, they are welcome. In fact they are needed. People learn an awful lot here.

But then, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, right? So why must someone take so much pain and effort just to try to establish the superiority of their opinion?

And that, on a public forum.

What happened to laying down your facts with evidence and allowing the people to learn and pick what is relevant for them, rather than debating and bickering?

That's not an intelligent way to converse, I think?
Especially seeing it is a public forum.

This was my bone of contention.

Thank you for your comments once again.

Guys! Pls I've been following this thread for a while, but I'm not learning anything just talks on GRE

Pls educate us!

Also can someone pls create a thread for
"Undergraduate admissions to study in USA"
I don't really know alot concerning it thanks I appreciate you in advance!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 7:28pm On Jul 05, 2020
fairheart:

H1B hunter grin

Lol. Abi nah
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 7:34pm On Jul 05, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Guys! Pls I've been following this thread for a while, but I'm not learning anything just talks on GRE

Pls educate us!

Hello,

I think you can just ask your questions here and one of our knowledgeable fellows will be happy to answer you.

You may benefit more from a personalized conversation with a knowledgeable individual than from a long thread.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 05, 2020
fairheart:

Authentication of SOA before issuance of i-20 by US schools is rare, expect you're being sponsored by an organization, government or a body, and the available proof of sponsorship is a letter.
I can't remember the last time I see any student here or any of my students mention it for individual sponsor.
Which school are you going?

To all and sundry, before you quote any Poster, Pls, I charge you to read and assimilate the previous comments leading to the most recent that has been made by those you intend to hurriedly "correct". This will preclude you from misinforming and sounding bombastic to others.

I say this because the way some self-acclaimed savvy people here jump on comments without understanding the issue at hand is more than alarming.

Its obvious you did not follow the "chain of discussion" before you made your penultimate post, I initially thought you did otherwise.

Yes, its quite rare but ULL needs a notarized SOA for the issuance of I-20 if there's any deficit (irrespective of the sponsor). This matter has been settled before now and those involved were well inundated.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:35pm On Jul 05, 2020
If you did not post a question, I wouldn't have bothered trying to answer.
When you said "of course, everyone knows," to authentication of SOA before i-20 can be issued, you're generalizing what is only known to your suppose school. You didn't know that until we asked you which school you are going to, or else you'd wouldn't have used the statement quoted above.

"People" who jump on comments on this thread are here to help those who needs direction like you, which is why you're here in the first place. It's not all of them that are looking for admission, or on Nairaland to ask questions or uninformed on how the processing works.
You better face your admission processing and get your stuff right. Don't bother mentioning me again.

Schrodinger1:

To all and sundry, before you quote any Poster, Pls, I charge you to read and assimilate the previous comments leading to the most recent that has been made by those you intend to hurriedly "correct". This will preclude you from misinforming and sounding bombastic to others.

I say this because the way some self-acclaimed savvy people here jump on comments without understanding the issue at hand is more than alarming.

Its obvious you did not follow the "chain of discussion" before you made your penultimate post, I initially thought you did otherwise.

Yes, its quite rare but ULL needs a notarized SOA for the issuance of I-20 if there's any deficit (irrespective of the sponsor). This matter has been settled before now and those involved were well inundated.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:52pm On Jul 05, 2020
Are you a graduate or undergraduate student?
Phenomenalopeye:

Pls educate us!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 05, 2020
fairheart:
If you did not post a question, I wouldn't have bothered trying to answer.
When you said "of course, everyone knows," to authentication of SOA before i-20 can be issued, you're generalizing what is only known to your suppose school. You didn't know that until we asked you which school you are going to, or else you'd wouldn't have used the statement quoted above.

"People" who jump on comments on this thread are here to help those who needs direction like you, which is why you're here in the first place. It's not all of them that are looking for admission, or on Nairaland to ask questions or uninformed on how the processing works.
You better face your admission processing and get your stuff right. Don't bother mentioning me again.

This is why I said you shouldn't have mentioned me or responded the way you did in the first place, having not seen the previous comments. Because if you did see them, you'd have seen how utterly unnecessary it was.

Again, I'm aware of you wanting to provide help, however, you cant do this when you have qualified information on the issue at hand.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 05, 2020
AfonjaBoston:

Baba wetin you want go do?
I want to re-apply
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 12:40am On Jul 06, 2020
Schrodinger1:

If that ULL is the university of Louisiana at Lafayette. Then this claim might not be true. I had an admit with the same school 2 years ago. Again, not everyone knows that schools ask for authentication atleast for the 4years I've been reading and been into the process myself, I've not seen or read about that. So, you shouldn't find it offensive when people try to correct your misinformation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by labylaby: 8:48am On Jul 06, 2020
Hey guys

I've been a ghost for a while �

I'm in my final year. Projected CGPA is 4.0-4.2
I don't really have research asides final year one but @blackskittles didn't either sha. Although he had excellent GRE and GPA..

For those of you who got full funding, please please share tips including your GPA and GRE�
What do you think was your "IT" factor? Did you contact professors? Did you submit research work with your application?

And if you have physical copies of the books you used, please I'd love to take them off you�

What books were similar to the actual exam? I am more likely to do better in verbal than quantitative.

Years ago,in my ACT I had 33 English and 27 math. ��
I'm not so math inclined.

My dream schools are:
Stanford (high reach!)
Rice (reach)
Texas A & M (reach)
Penn Wharton (high reach)
Brandeis (low reach)

I'll apply to lots of match schools of course but these are my dream schools.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by flyingpig: 10:09am On Jul 06, 2020
Let's say you're in an undergraduate faculty that comprises of five departments and you'll be awarded honours in all of the five departments upon graduation.

At the time for your project, you're given a department 1 to conduct your project in, even though it's not your desirable department, you fantastically made an A grade.

When going for Msc in USA, does it really have to be in same niche as project, just to show progression in specialisation to your MSc supervisor and Visa Officer?

Or it doesn't really matter to those two individuals mentioned ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 10:36am On Jul 06, 2020
mzhorlah:
You
Same website, ustraveledocs. I chose Abuja though but I still couldn’t get a date and I know peeps here got a date in Abuja. When you log in to the system, it says “November 4th” as the earliest available date but I don’t know why I couldn’t pick it. I wouldn’t know if the fault is from the system or at the point I submitted no date was available.
Oh I see, thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 06, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 12:11pm On Jul 06, 2020
Potential Nurse

Hi,
- Are you applying for F1 Visa or another type of visa?
- what were the types of visa you applied for the previous times?

I think the answers to these questions might give us a clue about your chances vis-a-vis your dad's current situation over there.
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 06, 2020
I will be applying for F1 and I applied for B1/B2 and F1 previously
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sefa2018: 2:37pm On Jul 06, 2020
Anyone here enrolling online for the Fall semester, 2020? Without a visa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.