Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (506) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1366694 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (503) (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:20am On Jul 10, 2020
pompeiimagnus:

Some online lectures could be prerecorded by the Professors, so it may not always be live streaming. With this, you can watch them whenever it's favorable to you within the week. Still, e no go easy from Naija o!
this is actually what I'd opt for if it's available.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 7:22am On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:
I saw #8750 for 42GB Glo. That's an average of 1.4GB per day.
- I won't be receiving classes everyday
- I intend to use my phone for zoom which would minimize data instead of if I'm using laptop
- My classes are 1 or 2 a day, rarely 3.

So I think it'll be enough or if more than that, small.
Nice, I didn't know about the Glo plan. The unfortunate thing is that Glo network is horrible where I am.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 7:24am On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:
if you know Nigerians in Stanford. Talk to them, they'd have more knowledge with this.

Also, it's important you contact the fellowship and send them a carefully thought, emotionally appealing E-mail. If they agree, you can contact the Nigerians there if it's possible they receive the check on your behalf and send it to your account through Sendwave app since you have no US account yet.

Nothing is certain so you have to take your chances. They might even agree to go through the stress of paying it directly to you.
Thanks. Also, I've never heard of sendwave before, I'll look it up. Thanks again!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 9:27am On Jul 10, 2020
kilankoazeez:

Again, if Covid-19 started from here(Africa) they'll probably ban us for many years until there's a vaccine. Ebola virus of 2014 is an example, many European countries banned int'l flights from west African countries, including those that weren't affected as much.

It's more of a discrimination thingy to me

Bros you suggested a good point here, I could vividly remember Ebola case 2014, like you said

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 9:54am On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:
- I intend to use my phone for zoom which would minimize data instead of if I'm using laptop

You can get 60GB for N10,500 with mtn
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 10:27am On Jul 10, 2020
I can’t wait to hear feedback on these online classes from Nigeria.

America is kuku not running away. Even here, sometimes it’s difficult to have a good class experience because Webex or Zoom is being used by everybody; your internet isn’t even the problem; it’s their capacity.

Not to discourage anyone; but if you can get funding from a school, they can also keep the funding for you until you’re able to attend, at the very least, know for sure that if one school thinks you’re good enough to be funded, more than a dozen school will fund you if you’d perform due diligence and apply to them.

Y’all should really not forget to share your online experience with us.

PS: If you think taking classes online increase your chances of getting a visa, you can’t be more wrong. They don’t care.

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 10:36am On Jul 10, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Perra: 10:39am On Jul 10, 2020
[quote author=iwr

PS: If you think taking classes online increase your chances of getting a visa, you can’t be more wrong. They don’t care
. [/quote]

I thought it would be the opposite, ... It may have a slight effect . Because it means the person is already enrolled in the school? I felt they would have no choice but to issue the visa cry
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 11:20am On Jul 10, 2020
majiddele75:

MY friend don't long things this online of a thing can't work in Nigeria �� many factors won't let it work self
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 12:17pm On Jul 10, 2020
Perra:

I thought it would be the opposite, ... It may have a slight effect . Because it means the person is already enrolled in the school? I felt they would have no choice but to issue the visa cry

Not really, the V.O may decide to plot a twist and be like.

"since you already started online from Nigeria and you have completed 1 out of 4 semesters, why not stay in Nigeria to complete it?, after all, your post study goal is to return back to Nigeria and work as a manager for ABC Company?"

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
Just a small insight to the online classes issue.

Incase you end up enrolling for online classes for fall. Please prepare a strong response to this new set of questions from the V.O. "since you have completed 1 out of 4 semesters online, why not stay in Nigeria to complete the rest and this will save you Alot of money on living expenses and at the same time, you can still keep your job in Nigeria".

It is now left for you to prepare a solid and convincing response on why on campus class is best for you.

Let me share my 2019 experience.

After all the questioning, the V.O decided to throw me off balance by saying "I just checked your school, MBA is also offered 100% online, why do you want to go to the USA for it?"

Thank God I have prepared for such question ahead after discovering that my school offers MBA online 100%.

I responded by saying "I will like to be in the USA for MBA due to following reasons,

1. I will be exposed to practical business sessions like workshops, seminars, internships and trips which I can't get online.

2. Networking is one of the most essential aspect of business school. Been on campus will help me to establish network and connections with my follows and Alumni which transcend into strong business innovation and partnerships in the future.

3. I will be closer to my instructors for proper career modelling and advisorship which I may not fully get if I study online.

Those were my saving grace before hearing the magic word ooooo.

The bottom line, research more about your field and prepare strong and convincing reasons to why you have to continue on campus.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by librangyps(f): 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
If you enroll online this fall and your school is only offering in person classes for subsequent semesters, I believe this should up your chances of obtaining a Visa.

I already deferred to spring 2021 though, as my classes are mixed and I had a deferment deadline to conform to.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2020
Sanguine1:

MY friend don't long things this online of a thing can't work in Nigeria �� many factors won't let it work self

That's not true.
Hundreds or thousands of people are acquiring degree online in the UK and US all the way from Nigeria.

There are also lots of 4G service providers in cities.

I know of spectranet, smile and swift back then. I'm sure lots of new ones must have evolved.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
majiddele75:

how?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 1:34pm On Jul 10, 2020
librangyps:
If you enroll online this fall and your school is only offering in person classes for subsequent semesters, I believe this should up your chances of obtaining a Visa.

I already deferred to spring 2021 though, as my classes are mixed and I had a deferment deadline to conform to.
I also think it'll help too, this V.Os are humans too. Because it already covers a great part of the financial related questions they'd ask you. For you to complete a semester means you're a prospective student that would most likely stay in school and you already got your tuition covered. One just has to prepare a response to the online stuff like oga muleriders said.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 1:35pm On Jul 10, 2020
Sanguine1:

it heavily depends on ones program.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sanguine1: 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:
it heavily depends on ones program.

As for me ooo, have concluded to defer jare, if God says the Visa is mine no one can deny me of it no matter what. To God be the glory I rest my case about this issue.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by librangyps(f): 2:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:
I also think it'll help too, this V.Os are humans too. Because it already covers a great part of the financial related questions they'd ask you. For you to complete a semester means you're a prospective student that would most likely stay in school and you already got your tuition covered. One just has to prepare a response to the online stuff like oga muleriders said.

True
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:
how?
Just get a new SIM
3,500 is for 20gb
You can google it for more info
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2020
Friedpotato:

Can I tell you that even if you dont receive classes everyday, you may have to use the internet everyday. From assignment to writing papers. I use over 80gb monthly on my phone, this includes instagram, twitter and other SM tho. I tried tracking the data I use on my PC and it was up to 150gb in a month, although, this includes personal development and LinkedIn Learning platform.
Classes will not be the only thing you do with the internet. You must be ready to subscribe atleast a hundred GB in a month.

Please carefully select your network provider according to your location. Do not go for the cheapest but the best. Weekly assignments and quizes contribute greatly to your final grade and 1 or 2 weeks can hurt your grade so badly. Remember, over 90 percent is A. My school's A grade starts from 94percent.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 6:23pm On Jul 10, 2020
Predstan:

Can I tell you that even if you dont receive classes everyday, you may have to use the internet everyday. From assignment to writing papers. I use over 80gb monthly on my phone, this includes instagram, twitter and other SM tho. I tried tracking the data I use on my PC and it was up to 150gb in a month, although, this includes personal development and LinkedIn Learning platform.
Classes will not be the only thing you do with the internet. You must be ready to subscribe atleast a hundred GB in a month.

Please carefully select your network provider according to your location. Do not go for the cheapest but the best. Weekly assignments and quizes contribute greatly to your final grade and 1 or 2 weeks can hurt your grade so badly. Remember, over 90 percent is A. My school's A grade starts from 94percent.
okay thank you very much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phizzle20: 7:06pm On Jul 10, 2020
greenskittles:
I'll eventually have to ask my supervisor himself but I'd like to hear opinions please. I was admitted for a masters with a fellowship, including both tuition and living expenses. During my interview my supervisor made it clear, he wants "no work" for me for my first three quarters so I can focus on studying, and then contingent on my performance, I'll join him in research as an RA for my second year.

Now with these new rules and all, if I have to take classes in Nigeria do you think it's possible I get paid my fellowship stipend here? Since if I was in the US I wouldn't have to work either. I browsed through the department website and apparently cheques are paid to the address listed in my student portal every two weeks (if I was in the US). The only available fact I have now is that the President of the University assured all students who've been offered financial aid in any form that the University will honor their promises in spite of COVID-19. But there's no assurance of that with deferring and they'd have to check with the specific office that offered them aid if they defer.

So my question, has anybody here ever had this happen to them before? Or at least were in Nigeria receiving remote payment for work? What do I need to do to successfully receive the money *if* this is possible?

I really don't want to defer because I'm in it for the long haul, I expect to be at this school for the next 5 years because I'm pursuing a PhD, and would like to get the coursework out of the way as soon as possible. So I really want to know if I could get paid, because studying without any income is not possible for me, I'd have to get a job which would mean deferring.

I believe talking to your advisor is your best bet. He can push things for you if it is possible though. I had similar situation with Nebraska. My supervisor was willing to pay me but the school will not allow such. The option I have right now is to taking online courses( which is paid for by my supervisor) for the semester from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phizzle20: 7:10pm On Jul 10, 2020
iwriterng:

America is kuku not running away. Even here, sometimes it’s difficult to have a good class experience because Webex or Zoom is being used by everybody; your internet isn’t even the problem; it’s their capacity.

Not to discourage anyone; but if you can get funding from a school, they can also keep the funding for you until you’re able to attend, at the very least, know for sure that if one school thinks you’re good enough to be funded, more than a dozen school will fund you if you’d perform due diligence and apply to them.

PS: If you think taking classes online increase your chances of getting a visa, you can’t be more wrong. They don’t care.

You can't be more wrong with your PS. It is can go both ways....for a masters and MBA students, it MAY do more harm than good. But for a PhD student, it can do more good than harm
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2020
Pls how do I register for SAT
Cost, procedures and other informations you think you can share??
I'd love to register myself without any angency

And also can I take the test without international passport?
Books and PDFs to use for practice ?

Best centre in Lagos?

Thanks!

And also tell me about ur exoexperie when u took urs
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
iwriterng:

please what do you mean by "it's their capacity"

Plus not all schools defer funding.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Best centre in Lagos?

Thanks!

check collegeboard.

You'd need international passport to take the test.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by EncephalonPikin(m): 8:00pm On Jul 10, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Best centre in Lagos?

Thanks!

Let me try to answer some of your questions. You can get procedures for registration and possible dates for the test on www.collegeboard.com. I think you can also check for the cost there depending on the kind of SAT you want to write (either with or without essay).

As for registering without an agency, I think it's only possible if you have someone outside the country to pay for you( I'm not sure about this, you can confirm).

No, you cannot take the test without an international passport.

You can buy the official college board study guide, Barron's SAT book, Kaplan's SAT book or whichever one might suit you. You can check www.pdfdrive.com to download these books for free. I'm pretty sure you'll find majority of them there and possibly others by different authors. I don't know which of them might be best for you but start with the official guide by College board, it kinda gives you a sense of how the test is. You can also register on Khan Academy to access free lessons, they'll help you greatly, I promise.

I'm not in Lagos but I doubt if there's anything like a best Centre, yours is to write your test and leave. Ensure the venue is conducive for you though.

Finally, ensure that SAT tests are still ongoing during this period before paying for anything.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ZionSpecie(m): 8:07pm On Jul 10, 2020
greenskittles:
I'll eventually have to ask my supervisor himself but I'd like to hear opinions please. I was admitted for a masters with a fellowship, including both tuition and living expenses. During my interview my supervisor made it clear, he wants "no work" for me for my first three quarters so I can focus on studying, and then contingent on my performance, I'll join him in research as an RA for my second year.

Now with these new rules and all, if I have to take classes in Nigeria do you think it's possible I get paid my fellowship stipend here? Since if I was in the US I wouldn't have to work either. I browsed through the department website and apparently cheques are paid to the address listed in my student portal every two weeks (if I was in the US). The only available fact I have now is that the President of the University assured all students who've been offered financial aid in any form that the University will honor their promises in spite of COVID-19. But there's no assurance of that with deferring and they'd have to check with the specific office that offered them aid if they defer.

So my question, has anybody here ever had this happen to them before? Or at least were in Nigeria receiving remote payment for work? What do I need to do to successfully receive the money *if* this is possible?

I really don't want to defer because I'm in it for the long haul, I expect to be at this school for the next 5 years because I'm pursuing a PhD, and would like to get the coursework out of the way as soon as possible. So I really want to know if I could get paid, because studying without any income is not possible for me, I'd have to get a job which would mean deferring.
My graduate program coordinator said they cant pay a foreigner when he's not in the US, according to the US immigration law. But the tuition will still be waived as pa ur GA position.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 8:09pm On Jul 10, 2020
ZionSpecie:

My graduate program coordinator said they cant pay a foreigner when he's not in the US, according to the US immigration law. But the tuition will still be waived as pa ur GA position.

Wow, that's a bummer. Thanks for sharing. I just sent mine an email anyway.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 8:55pm On Jul 10, 2020
EncephalonPikin:

Let me try to answer some of your questions. You can get procedures for registration and possible dates for the test on www.collegeboard.com. I think you can also check for the cost there depending on the kind of SAT you want to write (either with or without essay).

As for registering without an agency, I think it's only possible if you have someone outside the country to pay for you( I'm not sure about this, you can confirm).

No, you cannot take the test without an international passport.

You can buy the official college board study guide, Barron's SAT book, Kaplan's SAT book or whichever one might suit you. You can check www.pdfdrive.com to download these books for free. I'm pretty sure you'll find majority of them there and possibly others by different authors. I don't know which of them might be best for you but start with the official guide by College board, it kinda gives you a sense of how the test is. You can also register on Khan Academy to access free lessons, they'll help you greatly, I promise.

I'm not in Lagos but I doubt if there's anything like a best Centre, yours is to write your test and leave. Ensure the venue is conducive for you though.

Finally, ensure that SAT tests are still ongoing during this period before paying for anything.

Thanks!!!
I think I can pay through my bank it Allows me to purchase with any currency at the exact exchange rate

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by EncephalonPikin(m): 10:16pm On Jul 10, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

Thanks!!!
I think I can pay through my bank it Allows me to purchase with any currency at the exact exchange rate

You're welcome, if you can then that's totally fine.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 1:13am On Jul 11, 2020
Unfortunately, that's the reality. You can't get paid unless you are in the US. My school offered to defer my admission and full scholarship for one year. Even though deferring is hard, I got no choice but to accept cos I'm getting tired of all the uncertainties. Let me use this one year to build my network further and earn more.

ZionSpecie:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (503) (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.