Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (522) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357824 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by justwise(m): 8:03pm On Jul 23, 2020
@Deegayes

Please no more post about you and your uncle's immigration business

Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 9:10pm On Jul 23, 2020
bayocanny:

I like your perspective and the way you organized your logical views. You predicted lots of things earlier on and it becoming reality.
grin�����
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2020
Pls who knows if SAT is currently administered in Nigeria amidst the pandemic

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2020
HoluwadareY:
My takeaways from this whole conversation can be categorized into 4 people as follow:

1. Most people already in the US are either more interested in us staying alive than travelling to the US or hoping we dont get to the US like them. This is because, most of them jump at every opportunity and magnify every post that reads : " you cant travel this year". They also have posted some things about these impossibilities in the past, and are hoping to God things dont work out so they can say: "I said it". I wouldnt know why, maybe just to preserve their ego or ...

2. Most people still in Nigeria are somehow desperate, hopeful and refreshing their feeds every day. They wish things will work out well so they can put this behind them. Due to this, they turn blind eyes to most of the discouraging contents (even though some of them are true).

3. Some people still in Nigeria are neutral. They are hopeful but also have other plans, while watching how the situation unfolds. If its possible this year, fine, if not, good. So, their opinions might be bias or they may show some form of non-challant attitude...but it doesnt mean they dont care.

4. Some people already in the US knows the reality but while using data from the realities on ground, they still find a way to give people hope or encourage them and put themselves in their shoes...not just saying : " just forget it, you cant travel...blah blah". These people have some high level skill of EI.

In all, if you are still in Nigeria...I think you should aim to be #3...hope that things can be good at anytime but also have other plans to keep you busy while at it. If you are already abroad, please and please, we already know things are bad...you dnt need to spend time on google to find evidence to prove that to us...you dont need to emphasize how bad tins are, you dnt need to tell people not to hope- you might have done worse if in their shoes...Please try to be #4

I hope everyone achieves their heart desires and see you at the top...if MIT is in Nigeria, maybe most of us wont be trying so hard to leave�
All these epistle is to what end exactly?
Try to reason logically for once bro.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2020
Cocao:

You are absolutely spot on.

In addition to this, if you are a fall hopeful, there is a need to liaise with your graduate coordinator. They may be sympathetic enough to understand the whole COVID situation and let you have more flexible options, especially if you have a scholarship or fellowship pending on the line. It's definitely not easy at all emotionally but still keep faith. If it gets to the point where you have to defer or even forego the entire admission, know that you can still do it again. Some might have gotten even more than one offer. If you can do it before you can do it again. Don't let it hang over you like a dark cloud.

I wished more people could be kinder and more strategic with their words as it costs zero naira or dollar. Some of you know how it is like to wait for something and never get it, yet, all of a sudden we seem to have forgotten.
You're just deceiving yourself.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 9:54pm On Jul 23, 2020
If you think people in the US don't want you to come over here because of the advice they're giving you, you can't be more wrong.

Your absence or presence does not cause anybody any harm, so why would they discourage you from coming?

Sometimes, we just like hearing what we want to hear, and this is exactly why religion is a big business in Nigeria.

If you think students on F1 visa have the luxury of time to wish you bad luck, wait until you resume and see how busy and stressful your life is; much less invest the little free time you have into discouraging others.

Most people already in the US are either more interested in us staying alive than travelling to the US or hoping we dont get to the US like them. This is because, most of them jump at every opportunity and magnify every post that reads : " you cant travel this year". They also have posted some things about these impossibilities in the past, and are hoping to God things dont work out so they can say: "I said it". I wouldnt know why, maybe just to preserve their ego or ...

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2020
bayocanny:

You're just deceiving yourself.

OK. Thank you for pointing this out. I appreciate your feedback.

12 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 10:18pm On Jul 23, 2020
iwriterng:

If you think people in the US don't want you to come over here because of the advice they're giving you, you can't be more wrong.

Your absence or presence does not cause anybody any harm, so why would they discourage you from coming?

Thanks for this.

There's nothing wrong with hoping for the best, and it's also smart to give yourself more options - especially at uncertain times like this. Now is the time to have candid discussions with your program coordinators and international office about the present situation. Pls don't feel entitled to anything, coming to Yankee is a privilege. When you get here, you'll understand better. Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 12:21am On Jul 24, 2020
Yea a very big business smiley

iwriterng:

Sometimes, we just like hearing what we want to hear, and this is exactly why religion is a big business in Nigeria.

If you think students on F1 visa have the luxury of time to wish you bad luck, wait until you resume and see how busy and stressful your life is; much less invest the little free time you have into discouraging others.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:12am On Jul 24, 2020
iwriterng:

On the topic of students on f1 that caught my eyes . I wonder how students are doing in all this. Hopefully on campus job is still ongoing and worse case able to do it from home?

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 3:19am On Jul 24, 2020
I understand the plight of everyone... Especially those with full funding.. It's not easy to see your efforts go down the drain. I too would have been upset. I will definitely feel the pain. As someone who live currently in one of the most populous city here, I must warn you that COVID 19 is very real. I will point out somethings.

1) The biggest lie perpetrated by CNN for ages, is that everything is okay with America. That it is a land flowing with milk and honey. They show Africans with their buts but hide many things here. You will not understand until you are here.

2) Many Americans are suffering now.. Millions have lost their jobs. Many International students who have graduated are hopeless. Some even got jobs and the jobs were revoked. H1b prospects cancelled and many homeless as I speak. What would you do in this kind of situation?

3) Many adjunct lecturers have been laid off- thousands. Many of them. I speak as someone who has this so - called title in one of the Urban Universities here. But to see how state government and private institutions complain of funding, so nothing is certain for now. Your funding is only on paper. What happen in real life might be shocking. It is very easy for schools or institutions to revoke contracts that is even signed now. So do not over kill yourself.

4) If you can make more money in Nigeria, please do. If you have business ideas, please pursue it. Invest. Work. Don't be idle waiting for US Embassy. God might be using this, to enrich you so that when you come you will not be stranded. Please and please don't come to yankee with little funds regardless of the GA you claim you have. You may end up crying daily on the streets of America except fortune smile on you.

5) If you believe in Jesus Christ, pray. If you can fast please do. Be joyful in the midst of uncertainty. The US Embassy may not be open yet, but the doors of eternal Joy is ever open. Do not allow the present situation to steal your joy. There is light at the end of every tunnel.

Shalom!

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:40am On Jul 24, 2020
Good news guys!

The Lagos state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi has disclosed that COVID-19 cases are likely to peak in the month of August.

He said; “Based on postulations, COVID-19 cases are like to peak next month; we are hoping it peaks soon and the curve eventually gets flattened.”

Lagos actually has about 70% of the cases and if this happens, then other states might follow soon.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:44am On Jul 24, 2020
Eniolakiite:
Love and Light

Thanks cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by yemzyray01(m): 4:49am On Jul 24, 2020
LagosismyHome:

YES and Yes I have had to adjust plans and adjust to changes, plus in areas where covid has impacted . One or two I had no control self, life situation changed it . ..... had no choice but it accept

I never said people should have no plans , save money or those things you listed there BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE DYING . It very easy to take someone words out of context.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:39am On Jul 24, 2020
Schrodinger1:
Good news guys!

The Lagos state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi has disclosed that COVID-19 cases are likely to peak in the month of August.

He said; “Based on postulations, COVID-19 cases are like to peak next month; we are hoping it peaks soon and the curve eventually gets flattened.”

Lagos actually has about 70% of the cases and if this happens, then other states might follow soon.
lol, I don't trust Nigeria's statistics especially when they're not doing anything to curb it.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 24, 2020
kastgeraldino:
No you can't. You apply for a visa from your home country. If he plans to travel, that means he already has a visa.

OK, thank you. Na to defer till whenever the borders are open.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 24, 2020
Friedpotato:
lol, I don't trust Nigeria's statistics especially when they're not doing anything to curb it.

Of course, who does?
But do not downplay the importance of perception index.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 11:52am On Jul 24, 2020
LagosismyHome:

On the topic of students on f1 that caught my eyes . I wonder how students are doing in all this. Hopefully on campus job is still ongoing and worse case able to do it from home?

As far as my school is concerned, graduate students still get to keep their job. But funding is going to be tough this fall. I know that because I’ve seen faculty briefings (my supervisor shared one with me) and every single bullet point ends with “funding cut”. So it’s going to be an interesting fall semester for sure.

Lots of undergrad lost their job, since you can’t help in the library online, or work as an undergrad assistant online. It’s an interesting time to be in America for sure, and I can’t wait to see what happens in November.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
iwriterng:

As far as my school is concerned, graduate students still get to keep their job. But funding is going to be tough this fall. I know that because I’ve seen faculty briefings (my supervisor shared one with me) and every single bullet point ends with “funding cut”. So it’s going to be an interesting fall semester for sure.

Lots of undergrad lost their job, since you can’t help in the library online, or work as an undergrad assistant online. It’s an interesting time to be in America for sure, and I can’t wait to see what happens in November.

Hmmm this covid sha. It just came and scattered many things. Hopefully better days ahead .

Thanks for the input

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oreoluwamipo: 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2020
Hi guys , I'm new here .. Please does is make sense to apply into a college after a Bsc degree over here ? I await your response (s) , thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 4:35pm On Jul 24, 2020
Oreoluwamipo:
Hi guys , I'm new here .. Please does is make sense to apply into a college after a Bsc degree over here ? I await your response (s) , thanks.

Ask yourself this question, "why would I need another BSc since I already have a Bsc"?.

Try to answer that question as honestly and to the best of your abilities as you can. Whatever answers you come up with will help you determine if it makes sense to apply to a college after a Bsc degree in Nigeria.

Note that the answers people will give you on here will be biased based on the responder inclination/life experiences on issues like this. You alone know your true situation and should be able to give the best answer

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lifeofgolden1: 4:44pm On Jul 24, 2020
@
sheke01:

Ask yourself this question, "why would I need another BSc since I already have a Bsc"?.

Try to answer that question as honestly and to the best of your abilities as you can. Whatever answers you come up with will help you determine if it makes sense to apply to a college after a Bsc degree in Nigeria.

Note that the answers people will give you on here will be biased based on the responder inclination/life experiences on issues like this. You alone know your true situation and should be able to give the best answer

With all due respect Sir/Ma, that's not a good response. Some questions might be asked, not because the questionnaire does not have the answer, but for clarity and firmness sake he/she just wants to know. Been helpful costs us nothing biko.

In the mouth of two witnesses, the truth will be established
@Oreoluwamipo:
It is not a wise decision to seek a second degree when you've passed that stage already. It might be a red flag for you at the embassy but it's not impossible. I won't say the chances are low or high but you should always be on the safer side you know!.....Anyways, it all depends on how you defend yourself in the presence of the consular officer. But, if I were you, I won't go for a second degree. Nothing pass God

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ezikesamuel312: 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2020
How much is the GRE registration in Nigeria ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ezikesamuel312: 5:48pm On Jul 24, 2020
How much is GRE registration in Nigeria ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 6:25pm On Jul 24, 2020
lifeofgolden1:
@

With all due respect Sir/Ma, that's not a good response. Some questions might be asked, not because the questionnaire does not have the answer, but for clarity and firmness sake he/she just wants to know. Been helpful costs us nothing biko.

In the mouth of two witnesses, the truth will be established
@Oreoluwamipo:
It is not a wise decision to seek a second degree when you've passed that stage already. It might be a red flag for you at the embassy but it's not impossible. I won't say the chances are low or high but you should always be on the safer side you know!.....Anyways, it all depends on how you defend yourself in the presence of the consular officer. But, if I were you, I won't go for a second degree. Nothing pass God

Why are we just keen to attack. Your response is exactly the biased one sided opinion I talked about.

While it may not be a wise decision and doesn't make sense to you, some other persons have successfully gone for another BSc after acquiring a Bsc in Nigeria. You clearly don't know the posters reason for going for a second degree and so you won't necessary be in the best position to give advices.

You criticized my response yet you went further to say "it depends on her". How does that differ from my response?

We can all give advice without criticizing other people's responses

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lifeofgolden1: 7:33pm On Jul 24, 2020
sheke01:

Why are we just keen to attack. Your response is exactly the biased one sided opinion I talked about.

While it may not be a wise decision and doesn't make sense to you, some other persons have successfully gone for another BSc after acquiring a Bsc in Nigeria. You clearly don't know the posters reason for going for a second degree and so you won't necessary be in the best position to give advices.

You criticized my response yet you went further to say "it depends on her". How does that differ from my response?

We can all give advice without criticizing other people's responses

No offence intended.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:10pm On Jul 24, 2020
Oreoluwamipo:
to better understand your stance. Provide answers to this.
1. Why do you want another bachelors degree?
2. What is your CGPA?
3. How old are you?
4. Are you anticipating a change in career?
5. When did you finish your first BSc degree?
6. Are you looking for funding or you have a sponsor?

Answer this first, it'll help make people give better suggestions.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 10:58pm On Jul 24, 2020

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RemarkableMind: 11:48pm On Jul 24, 2020
Partially true. I have couple of friends who are in the business of discouraging their Nigerian friends from coming over to study. There's a particular guy who never share good news with his pal back home. But there are those who wish everyone well, and hope they have the same opportunity they had. Being a silent reader and guest for many months, I have spotted both category here. The greedy and selfish one want Trump to will the US to their name so they can stay back in the US after studies and inherit it. Tueh
HoluwadareY:
My takeaways from this whole conversation can be categorized into 4 people as follow:

1. Most people already in the US are either more interested in us staying alive than travelling to the US or hoping we dont get to the US like them. This is because, most of them jump at every opportunity and magnify every post that reads : " you cant travel this year". They also have posted some things about these impossibilities in the past, and are hoping to God things dont work out so they can say: "I said it". I wouldnt know why, maybe just to preserve their ego or ...

2. Most people still in Nigeria are somehow desperate, hopeful and refreshing their feeds every day. They wish things will work out well so they can put this behind them. Due to this, they turn blind eyes to most of the discouraging contents (even though some of them are true).

3. Some people still in Nigeria are neutral. They are hopeful but also have other plans, while watching how the situation unfolds. If its possible this year, fine, if not, good. So, their opinions might be bias or they may show some form of non-challant attitude...but it doesnt mean they dont care.

4. Some people already in the US knows the reality but while using data from the realities on ground, they still find a way to give people hope or encourage them and put themselves in their shoes...not just saying : " just forget it, you cant travel...blah blah". These people have some high level skill of EI.

In all, if you are still in Nigeria...I think you should aim to be #3...hope that things can be good at anytime but also have other plans to keep you busy while at it. If you are already abroad, please and please, we already know things are bad...you dnt need to spend time on google to find evidence to prove that to us...you dont need to emphasize how bad tins are, you dnt need to tell people not to hope- you might have done worse if in their shoes...Please try to be #4

I hope everyone achieves their heart desires and see you at the top...if MIT is in Nigeria, maybe most of us wont be trying so hard to leave�

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RemarkableMind: 11:58pm On Jul 24, 2020
iwriterng:

Speak for yourself when it comes to a subject like this. Na only you know yourself. There are Nigerians in America who no won others to enter.
Your asking that question is like asking a man: What do you gain from being selfish or envious. You may not know, but a selfish person has his reason (s). Always speak for yourself!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (519) (520) (521) (522) (523) (524) (525) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.