Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,431 members, 7,815,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (742) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1359966 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (739) (740) (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by osadestiny: 5:37am On Dec 16, 2020
majorstark:

twitter handle

Sorry please I still do not get you, can you make it more clearer sir?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by FutureSenator: 6:48am On Dec 16, 2020
eetzdave:
Has anyone been able to book an emergency appointment lately? If so, how please?

Yes, many people here got emergency request approved on Monday. The procedure for making an emergency appointment is detailed step by step on this link:

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-expeditedappointment.asp

Sissyo:
Please is printed/electronic i-20 still being accepted at the embassy

Yes, electronic i-20 is still accepted at the embassy.

Shadestar:

Please how did u send the mail,which address and is it for Lagos or Abuja.

Follow the procedure on that link to make an emergency request. If you still feel need to send a mail, you can reach the embassy at Abuja on consularAbuja@state.gov (strictly for visa issues), and the consulate at Lagos on lagosNIV@state.gov (strictly for non-immigrant visa issues).

For security reasons, US embassy cannot open or read any e-mails with attachments. If you have sent any email with an attachment, please resend it without the attachment.

More contact details can be found at:

https://ng.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/Abuja/contact-us/
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tomison(m): 6:54am On Dec 16, 2020
Hey guys I have scheduled for an expedited appointment in Lagos but I haven’t gotten a reply for a week and half now, so if I want to switch to Abuja am I to pay another visa fee
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 7:23am On Dec 16, 2020
favouredtk:
Hi guys
Please is it still necessary to open a domiciliary account before travelling?
If yes, which bank would you recommend?

I think GTB dorm account is fine. It comes with a USD Mastercard which you can use to withdraw or make payments anywhere in the US. You would have to fund the account with USD before leaving Naija. Having a dorm account isn't really necessary, unless you prefer to go cashless like I do. Some people dey like carry money for wallet, so it depends on if you are comfortable with holding lots of USD in your luggage/carry-on when flying to the US. Of course you would need to open a checking account when you get here. So nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Philadelphia: 9:05am On Dec 16, 2020
Oya oooo! So many approvals this morning.
Make una come drop transcript o.

Even those they denied also should come and drop transcript
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by castledaniels: 9:59am On Dec 16, 2020
Can’t believe I have the mighty white paper with me now. Visa approved now at Lagos. Transcript later when I get bk to my base. I really enjoyed this platform gave me the confidence I need.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chonco: 10:11am On Dec 16, 2020
castledaniels:
Can’t believe I have the mighty white paper with me now. Visa approved now at Lagos. Transcript later when I get bk to my base. I really enjoyed this platform gave me the confidence I need.
CONGRATS.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by favouredtk: 10:27am On Dec 16, 2020
pompeiimagnus:

I think GTB dorm account is fine. It comes with a USD Mastercard which you can use to withdraw or make payments anywhere in the US. You would have to fund the account with USD before leaving Naija. Having a dorm account isn't really necessary, unless you prefer to go cashless like I do. Some people dey like carry money for wallet, so it depends on if you are comfortable with holding lots of USD in your luggage/carry-on when flying to the US. Of course you would need to open a checking account when you get here. So nothing to worry about.
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2020
Please, anyone with credible information about available dates in Lagos or Abuja?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tomison(m): 10:54am On Dec 16, 2020
Geewin69:
Please, anyone with credible information about available dates in Lagos or Abuja?
There is no date in Lagos dear just go to Abuja
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 10:57am On Dec 16, 2020
Tomison:

There is no date in Lagos dear just go to Abuja

Thank you very much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi059: 11:34am On Dec 16, 2020
Hello! Please who knows any emergency dates in December for Abuja as Regular?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chrystee68: 12:34pm On Dec 16, 2020
Therealbrizzy:
Hi guys, today is the happiest day of my life since boko haram killed my lieutenant immediate brother died in November 2017. I have a whole lot of scars from life’s battles.

Visa approved
Deficit; $18,777
ICS and Room Waiver; $5,000
Location; Abuja.

My appointment was for 7:30 but I got there at 6am. They did the routine documents verification and biometrics. We were all marched to the interview location. Two VO’s, a black man in his 40s and the other white guy in his early 40s I guess. Was praying in my mind, God please I don’t want to face this black man, him face too strong. � so my God and destiny ushered me to the white guy.

VO; good morning
Me; good morning, I’ll like to let you know that I stammer before we proceed
VO; oh! That’s fine, I also take a lot of time
Me; smiled, praying my village people don’t finish me with stammering cuz I was so nervous
VO; pass me your documents
Me; passed my passport, I-20 and ds-160 confirmation
VO; what are you going to do in the US
Me; I’m going to western Illinois University in the rural community of Macomb to pursue a masters of science degree in biology. He pretended he wasn’t listening, so I followed my instinct and continue talking. I’m going to focus on animal behavior
VO; focus on what?
Me; Animal behavior. It’s a branch in biology.
VO; wow that’s nice, why animal behavior?
Me; I’m passionate about animals and I always want to be involved in whatever have to do with caring and protecting animals. I’ve been to the National park here and also at the University of Ibadan zoo, there’s no single animal behaviorist and this is why I want to do this so I’m hoping to come back to my country and help conserve and protect our fast depleting natural resources and help protect our most vulnerable and endangered species for present and future generation.
VO; nods his head and ask, what does your dad do?
Me; he’s a retired soldier. Retired as a major in 2014
VO; what does he do now?
Me; He’s into grassroots politics
VO; what about your mom?
Me; she’s a business woman, she sells and transport kolanut all over the country
VO; coconut?
Me; kolanut
VO; oh! Yes I know kolanut , who’s sponsoring you?
Me; my aunty
VO; what does she do?
Me; she import and distribute top quality building materials and roofing sheets, she’s also into real estate
VO, types for about 20 seconds and said to me, you don’t sound like you stammer but you talk pretty fast
Me; I smiled like Sallah Ram � and was saying to myself, God abeg! God abeg, make this man keep my passport, I no need am today
VO, stretches his hand to the most beautiful white paper I ever seen in my 31 years on earth and told me to enjoy my stay in the US.

My observation, these guys are human being like us and very friendly. I really do not know why people put fear on other people’s body and give all sort of scary feedbacks after their interview. Please guys, just be calm and make sure you prepare well for all the possible questions. If God can do it for me, then I’m sure you’re the next person to give testimony. I made a promise to myself to post the white paper for people to see if I get the visa and I’ll do it. I hope this transcripts has motivated someone to go confidently and grab his/her own visa. May God bless and protect us all. Peace

Congratulations
Am also going to Western Illinois University and my interview is on the 23rd
Make God do am for me too o

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by FutureSenator: 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2020
Temi059:
Hello! Please who knows any emergency dates in December for Abuja as Regular?

As at 12:51pm today, these are the emergency dates available for Abuja

The earliest for regular is Jan 29

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi059: 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2020
Thank you.

FutureSenator:

As at 12:51pm today, these are the emergency dates available for Abuja

The earliest for regular is Jan 29
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 1:42pm On Dec 16, 2020
Swerveking14:
I’ll answer two of your question. You see to avoid stories that touch the heart, jejely go to the airport and change your money. Withdrawing with a MasterCard happens but it comes with charges your bank places on ur withdrawal.
Is it certain that I will get a fair exchange rate on that that of my departure at the airport? Or, should I go and change the money before that day?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chonco: 2:00pm On Dec 16, 2020
vc1177:

Is it certain that I will get a fair exchange rate on that that of my departure at the airport? Or, should I go and change the money before that day?

Airport is always lower. I don't like their package

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2020
GreatMage:
Is there hope for a third class graduate in CS getting a masters in any university?

Pls I need guidance
It is possible if you believe.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:12pm On Dec 16, 2020
samzebby:
Hello everyone, so am kind of new here.

I have an offer for a graduate program (mph) at University of Alabama at Birmingham with a January 2021 start date.

Please is it still possible for me to apply for a US visa to resume physically in January 2021 at UAB?

PS: I don’t have my I-20 yet

I really would appreciate suggestions and thoughtful answers.
Looking at the logistics, humanly speaking, time might not really be favourable to your January resumption. You might consider Fall 2021 resumption, and begin preparations for it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kennedyemmy: 2:12pm On Dec 16, 2020
Hello guys. I wish to get an Affidavit of Support from my Sponsor but she doesn't know how to go about it.
Please can someone advise me on where Affidavit of Support can be drafted and signed, and how it is been done?
Thank you so much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Omotolani88(f): 2:18pm On Dec 16, 2020
Philadelphia:
Oya oooo! So many approvals this morning.
Make una come drop transcript o.

Even those they denied also should come and drop transcript

I received the mighty white paper too o.
Visa approved. Abuja Embassy
I’d drop my transcript and testimony soon(I still dey airport) cos satan go wait for me for embassy but God don go before am already. It was truly a miracle.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Vicxxy10: 2:21pm On Dec 16, 2020
Congratulations! Is it true that international graduate students pay in-state(resident) tuition there?
thekingofafrica:
Hello house, anybody risiding in Minnesota here ? Help a brother out o, I’m heading to MNSU, Mankato, anyone there ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nwaada: 2:27pm On Dec 16, 2020
Hello everyone,
I need help with mock interview. Please help
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:34pm On Dec 16, 2020
GreatMage:

Pls I have a bachelor with a first class...

Can I apply for PhD with it?

I don't understand how it works without a masters
Your first class BSc is already a sweet smelling flavour. Go ahead and give it your best shot. More grace.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:37pm On Dec 16, 2020
Chonco:

Airport is always lower. I don't like their package
Thanks for your feedback Bro. Like you mean, higher naira value to 1USD?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:39pm On Dec 16, 2020
kastgeraldino:
There's a reason why a PhD in the US is for at least five years. It is because the programme contains both requirements for the Masters and PhD together. The first two years usually qualifies you to earn a Masters. For those who decide not to continue in academia, they can simply drop out after two years and earn an MSc, MA or whatever masters. I dunno if I'm making sense but it's not as if you are skipping Masters and going straight to PhD, but it is just that the way the US does it is that after undergrad (BSc, BA, et al), you just apply for PhD programme in which the Masters requirement is part of the PhD. Somewhat different from UK and Nigeria, but still the same when you consider the fact that Masters is about 2 years and the PhD proper is 3 years in UK and Nigeria.

Yes! You are perfectly on point!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:42pm On Dec 16, 2020
iWise:

It depends on the school and the program you're interested in.

From what I gather, most programs in the US will allow you enrol in a PhD directly with a BS. I personally do not recommend it if you're interested in a very complex program such as the types you'd find in Physics or Maths or Chemistry, say - unless of course, you got your degree from a US or Canadian or Western Europe or Chinese college (this list is not exhaustive). For all programs in Engineering, Statistics etc, you shouldn't have much of an issue adapting. Please be mindful that I am writing from the perspective of a STEM graduate.
Haha...why do you not recommend it Sir? Please tell me about our experience, if any. Kindly check your PM.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2020
kastgeraldino:
The only time he may have issues is if he goes for a PhD in a field for which he does not have sufficient undergrad preparation. The first 2 years is usually Masters-level stuff. I get your point sha cos American schools (especially top ones) can be really intense as they give you no breathing space.

Yeah, you are correct. From my interviews with some PhD students in the US, they'd always emphasized on the sameness/similarity between BSc programme and graduate programme. It is more challenging, not impossible, if there is a switch in fields between BSc and MSc.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Asiwaju101: 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2020
Nwaada:
Hello everyone,
I need help with mock interview. Please help
WhatsApp 08128006722
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:52pm On Dec 16, 2020
Lete:

So how should one print their DS-160 ? Everybody keeps saying those hustlers hustling for money keeps telling them they need to reprint their DS-160 why isn’t anyone saying the right printout they finally got so we know and go with the right printout.
I do hope you were able to resolve this DS-160 hurdle. It is not difficult to print. The DS-160 confirmation page that you are meant to print, will display when you have succeeded in filling your correct details, and submitting your form.

(1) (2) (3) ... (739) (740) (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.