Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,511 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 - Travel (472) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 (1028174 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) ... (644) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by TheAfroBlog: 5:56pm On Jan 11, 2020
Hello house is it possible to get admission for M.SC Computer Science or M.Eng Software Engineering in Canada, with a weak second class upper like 3.7?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Alfarrouk: 6:17pm On Jan 11, 2020
Ray2019:

I will be going to Concordia university this winter.

I am waiting for my visa to come through

Oh, that's great. Have you secured accommodation yet?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Naijaforeigner: 6:21pm On Jan 11, 2020
IboBoyNuel:
Good afternoon house. Please i have a challenge. I need to draft a sponsorship letter for my uncle. I saw a sample from the thread. However, I still have some questions regarding the sponsorship statement.

(1) All your sponsor needs is tuition plus living expenses for 1 year

(2) The answer to this is a tricky one. CIC have not been consistent in how they grant visas most especially to applicants from Nigeria.

If your Sponsor has your living expenses $10,000 in his account (I am assuming you are not going to Quebec) and has had a very good cash flow for at least 4 months backed by documents to show that his business is viable and he has good investments such as properties and so forth, then that will be more than enough.

If he does not have a good cash flow, make sure he has the whole cash (tuition plus living expenses) in his account plus documents to show the source of funds or what he does for a living, documents for properties, letter of employment or CAC documents if he is a business owner and so forth.

Of course, if he can show all of the money (tuition plus living expenses in his account, nothing stops him from doing that.

The answer to your number two question depends on so many factors.

(3) It is not compulsory but highly recommended if the sponsor is a third party. If he is not a close family member, let him transfer your living expenses to your account and let that money stay in your account for some few weeks before you apply. This is my opinion.

(4) The transfer of funds from a sponsor ( most especially people that are not your parents) to your account shows that the sponsor is committed and has demonstrated this by transferring your living expenses to your account.

P.S It is easier to believe parents to commit such huge amount than it is to believe a third party without any form of commitment

There is nothing to worry about the transfer being a lump sum. Explain in a tabular form, the amount in your account before and after the transfer and where the money came from and the purpose of the money.

Also, your sponsor should clearly indicate in his sponsorship letter how much he has in his account, how much of the money in his account he is committing to your studies, how much he has transferred to you for living expenses and why he wants to sponsor you. Again, this is very important. Why will someone who is not your parent spend over $20,000 on your education? This is part of trying to know if you are a genuine student.

Ask as many questions as possible. You are not derailing the thread.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Naijaforeigner: 6:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
TheAfroBlog:
Hello house is it possible to get admission for M.SC Computer Science or M.Eng Software Engineering in Canada, with a weak second class upper like 3.7?

3.7 is not weak, stop sounding defeated. The key to getting masters admission in Canada is applying about 10-12 months in advance. Apply early before it gets very competitive.

Yes, you can get masters admission if you can take the time to research and apply to as many schools as possible on time.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by lonics: 6:31pm On Jan 11, 2020
3.7? This is a good cgpa to go for MSC in canada.
For you to gain admission like memorial university of New Foundland.,they require 2.75 on a scale of 4, so 3.7 will be like 2.96 and try and apply early too
TheAfroBlog:
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by tolatrends: 6:34pm On Jan 11, 2020
JustMellow:

Thank you for the information.

Best Regards.

Hello Tolatrends,

When you heard, what verified source did the sayer provide as proof of the emphasis? To what I know;

1. An upfront medicals can be done either before or after submission whether for online or paper. If you intend to do an upfront medicals, you have to book an appointment with Qlife or IOM either in Lagos or Abuja. For their contact details, visit IRCC website or access through Google.

2. There is no special or unique format but the personal information contained in it. It should reflect the name of the school, location, date of commencement and expected date of return. It should also indicate if the leave would be with pay or without pay. How they will temporary cover your duties (if applicable) and other relevant information as per the (leave) policy in your work place. There are lots of templates on net.

3. An SOP and LOE are similar and can be used interchangeably. As a norm, first time applicants use the SOP to talk about their course, purpose of visit, future goals, the intended school and country etc. While the LOE is use to provide clarity to any diacrepancies in your application. The LOE is mainly use by second time applicants to explain their reaosns for refusal and how their situation has changed. It is a choice also if there is necessity to include the SOP.

4. Check the first page of part 15 or 16 or surf through the thread of part 14 or 15 for shared documents by previous successful applicants. You can also check IRCC website.

P.S: let's try to go through previous posts, these questions and many others has been repeatedly answered.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by IboBoyNuel(m): 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2020
Naijaforeigner:

(2) The answer to this is a tricky one. CIC have not been consistent in how they grant visas most especially to applicants from Nigeria.

If your Sponsor has your living expenses $10,000 in his account (I am assuming you are not going to Quebec) and has had a very good cash flow for at least 4 months backed by documents to show that his business is viable and he has good investments such as properties and so forth, then that will be more than enough.

If he does not have a good cash flow, make sure he has the whole cash (tuition plus living expenses) in his account plus documents to show the source of funds or what he does for a living, documents for properties, letter of employment or CAC documents if he is a business owner and so forth.

Of course, if he can show all of the money (tuition plus living expenses in his account, nothing stops him from doing that.

(3) It is not compulsory but highly recommended if the sponsor is a third party. If he is not a close family member, let him transfer your living expenses to your account and let that money stay in your account for some few weeks before you apply. This is my opinion.

(4) The transfer of funds from a sponsor ( most especially people that are not your parents) to your account shows that the sponsor is committed and has demonstrated this by transferring your living expenses to your account.

P.S It is easier to believe parents to commit such huge amount than it is to believe a third party without any form of commitment

There is nothing to worry about the transfer being a lump sum. Explain in a tabular form, the amount in your account before and after the transfer and where the money came from and the purpose of the money.

Also, your sponsor should clearly indicate in his sponsorship letter how much he has in his account, how much of the money in his account he is committing to your studies, how much he has transferred to you for living expenses and why he wants to sponsor you. Again, this is very important. Why will someone who is not your parent spend over $20,000 on your education? This is part of trying to know if you are a genuine student.

I can't thank you enough. God bless you chief.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Raalsalghul: 9:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
Naijaforeigner:

I initially used to think your sponsor not related to you is a red flag, but now I know better.

Naijaforeigner, thanks so much for your contributions to this thread.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Raalsalghul: 10:31pm On Jan 11, 2020
Naijaforeigner:
The issue of finance

There is no way you will work for eight months full time, delay gratification (no fancy phones, Gucci cloths or expensive accommodation), stay focused and not save at least $12,000 (this has been confirmed by many students) which will be close enough to pay for your second program.

Hi,

I thought you'll use the savings from the first 4 months of working to fund the second PGC, if yes, then what do you mean by "There is no way you will work for eight months"?

How does one get the chance to work eight months at a stretch?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Qudkom(m): 10:51pm On Jan 11, 2020
TheAfroBlog:
It's a little weak considering the competition for competitive programs like software engineering. You can try graduate Certificate programs out. You'll easily get it.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Naijaforeigner: 11:01pm On Jan 11, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Hi,

I thought you'll use the savings from the first 4 months of working to fund the second PGC, if yes, then what do you mean by "There is no way you will work for eight months"?

How does one get the chance to work eight months at a stretch?

Normally 1 year PGC is 8 months but some colleges have PGC with either a compulsory or optional 4 months Co-op. I shared a link of such in that post. This means 8 months plus 4 months Co-op.

Then once you are done with your program that has Co-op, you can take additional 4 months break before starting your next program. I shared the link in my previous post showing that it is allowed by CIC to take up to 150 days to work full time on the completion of your 1 year PGC.

4 months Co-op plus 4 months additional break on the completion of your program before the start of the new one, makes it 8 months.

P.s Also, while doing your Co-op which is normally Monday through Friday, you are still permitted to work 20 hours (standard normal student hours). Your Co-op work permit is different and separate form the work permit attached to your study permit. It means while doing your Co-op you are allowed to do up to 60 hours of work if you have the strength.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Raalsalghul: 11:03pm On Jan 11, 2020
Naijaforeigner:

Normally 1 year PGC is 8 months but some colleges have PGC with either a compulsory or optional 4 months Co-op. I shared a link of such in that post. This means 8 months plus 4 months Co-op.

Then once you are done with your program that has Co-op, you can take additional 4 months break before starting your next program. I shared the link in my previous post.

4 months Co-op plus 4 months break makes it 8 months.

P.s Also, while doing your Co-op which is normally Monday through Friday, you are still permitted to work 20 hours (standard normal student hours). Your Co-op work permit is different and separate form the work permit attached to your study permit. It means while doing your Co-op you are allowed to do up to 60 hours of work if you have the strength.

Oh thanks very much.

Makes a lot of sense now.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 11, 2020
Greetings please does any college in Canada offer bachelors degree or just diplomas
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Jephehe: 6:19am On Jan 12, 2020
Check the site bsc courses are there

Adetayoade1:
Good evening to you sir please I would really appreciate using your referral code ...
Also I want to apply for my undergraduate degree do they offer bachelors degree ?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Jephehe: 6:21am On Jan 12, 2020
Absolutely yes. You stand better chance.

author=feclela post=85718696]Hey bro,

I want to apply for PGC in HRM, I have HND in Office Technology and Management, 2years working experience as an HR Officer . Do you think I'm good to go

[/quote]
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Electroweb(m): 9:36am On Jan 12, 2020
makano:
I will advise you apply alone, and use the members of ur family as part of home tie.. Then when u get ur visa and u are already in Canada, U can now apply for spousal permit to bring ur Wife/Husband/children over.. Ma 2 cents.. Peace

Thanks for the advise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Electroweb(m): 9:49am On Jan 12, 2020
Qudkom:

If you have good finances then you can apply if not I'll suggest you come in first and after your first semester you can apply for your spouse via open work permit and get the required funds necessary
Thanks for the advise. I have good finances. I am praying for positive outcome.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by eazyrely(m): 9:53am On Jan 12, 2020
sleekysoft:
Apply for course BAsed MAsters, if you have money to pay your tuition yourself.. Most time the difficulties of securing supervisors in the Thesiis route is availability of grant.. If you can apply for COuse based Mscyou can switch to Thesis based.. That way potential supervisor already know you in person and can have confidence in puuting money towards you

Thank You

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by feclela(m): 11:07am On Jan 12, 2020
God bless and thank you. let start getting my doc together.

Jephehe:

I want to apply for PGC in HRM, I have HND in Office Technology and Management, 2years working experience as an HR Officer . Do you think I'm good to go

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by feclela(m): 1:21pm On Jan 12, 2020
Thank you once again.

Apart from the following, what other documents do you think I need to get an admission.

1.OND Transcript and Certificate
2. HND Transcript and Certificate
3. International passport.

Please what other documents do you think I need and how can get the code you talked about?
Also, if I have to submit CV to back my application, which format do you think is most preferable (Canada format or Nigeria Format)

God bless you

Jephehe:

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by JustMellow: 3:46pm On Jan 12, 2020
MOBAN444:
Good evening gurus.
My place of work is finding it hard to give me a study leave letter and I don't have much time again. I have letter of introduction and other documents. Please house if I apply without the study leave letter will it affect my application?

Hello MOBAN444,

Since you are finding it hard to get the leave approval letter, the employment letter of introduction would suffice in addition to other employment documents at your disposal.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by JustMellow: 3:52pm On Jan 12, 2020
milo9:
Boss, PGD/C with co-op is better than ordinary PGD/C? I want to be sure cos i'm starting my application for admission, soon.

Hello Milo9,

Both are equally good. However, that with a co-op gives you certain benefits like work experience, stipends, prospect job offer (to retain your position) etc.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by JustMellow: 3:56pm On Jan 12, 2020
cliqtips:
Thank you for your concern....

I'll keep searching for one... that said.

I saw funding on some school website for international students... My question now is, can I apply to the school, hoping to get the funding ?
Because the tuition fees no be here ooo .. I need your guidance on this please.

Thank you in advance...

Hello Cliqtips,

Yes, if you meet the requirements and if your choice program is research/thesis base. For further information, contact the department.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Meagainstenemy: 6:08pm On Jan 12, 2020
lonics:
3.7? This is a good cgpa to go for MSC in canada.
For you to gain admission like memorial university of New Foundland.,they require 2.75 on a scale of 4, so 3.7 will be like 2.96 and try and apply early too
I have a 3.52 on the scale of 5,how would I convert that to the Canadian scale of 4.
Appreciated
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Ray2019: 7:29pm On Jan 12, 2020
Alfarrouk:

Oh, that's great. Have you secured accommodation yet?

No... I'm thinking of deferring to October as I'm yet to receive my visa.
applied for my visa a little late (nov 28th) because of the CAQ papers.

do you have everything set?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Ibuchim101(m): 7:55pm On Jan 12, 2020
betliveman:

Applying in a bit...how long did your application take before admission letter ?

@betliveman

it took about two weeks. did mine since november
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 by Ibuchim101(m): 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2020
YOUNGJOHN05:

Also got admission to CBU

@YOUNGJOHN05

how far have you gone with chasing your visa? at what stage are you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) ... (644)

UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.