Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,477 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival (66964 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / Yoruba Descendants All Over The World / Great Benin descendants thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by ekitimanalways(m): 12:28pm On Jun 15, 2019
Gaddafithe2nd:

Really! I thought Ekiti people speak the same dialect. Interesting!

You cannot detect the slightest difference(s) if you are not a native speaker of Ekiti dialect. The fact is that we are homogeneous people. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 1:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
TAO11:

Hahaha, you're sounding very desperate and frustrated now. grin

And also coming up with nothing but excuses.

You said you don't have enough time to provide evidence. But you have enough time to to type up unsubstantiated false claims, right?

Why not chanell the same energy and time you use in typing up unsubstantiated false claims into providing the evidence for your claims?

You said the Binis didn't illustrate their art with the actual reality on ground. But they illustrated it with another reality, right? grin grin I hope you do listen to yourself.

Yeah, this specific beaded regalia on the Ife bronze is a Yoruba regalia introduced later to Benin.

We know this because:

(1) No Benin bronze have such specific regalia.

(2) The person depicted by the Ife bronze is an Ife man and not a Benin man because Binis don't have such vertical parallel ethnic facial scarification
grin grin

The above two are the specific issues that you should address and not about what color of beads the Itsekiris (a Yoruboid language speaking people) used and introduced to the Benis

The issue is also not about whether Portuguese introduced soft or solid beads to Benin. grin grin

[The bronze castings we are dealing with here are even many centuries before the Portugese's arrival in the Nigeria region.]

The real issue here is about the fact that available hard archaeological evidence shows that the specific beaded regalia in question here emanates from Ile-Ife to other southern Nigeria cultures including the Binis and the Itsekiris as seen in the above pictures of the Olu Warri and Owa Obokun Adimula Ijesa.

Lastly, I am not sure why you have to sign your name "dull boy" as a complementary close at the end of your comment above.

like i said benins wore beaded dress centuries before the arrival of the Portuguese that's why it was a necessity for the Portuguese to see the coral as a gift to the oba ....oduduwa a benin prince wondered to the land of ife with his beaded dress was adorn and seen as a godlike dress.
the onni dont were beads like the way it was depicted in oduduwa sculpture because it was never indigenous to them they saw it like an heavenly regalia ...upto the hand bead ,
the facial linnings was something indigenous to ife now
ask yourself if the beaded dress was not indigenous to the edos how come the edos wear it more unlike the yoruba counterpart
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 1:14pm On Jun 17, 2019
TAO11:

Dont mind that poor Benin boy. They rejoice too much on falsehoods hence the reason I decided to make the time for him.

He has no idea that he jammed the wrong one, lol! He bought market!

I was going to give him the image below of a bronze cast of an Ooni of Ife that by tradition has to be placed in the palace at Benin kingdom.

It was excavated from the Benin palace. He obviously knows nothing about this.

It can be seen in Blier, Suzanne Preston. “Art in Ancient Ife, Birthplace of the Yoruba”. African Arts 45.4 (2012)

The same fact is also mentioned in the British Museum documentary below from time 49:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQY_Jd--pwI&t=2070s

the oonis head was buried in the oba palace to show seniority ....it is not seen the other Yoruba state because edo odion( edo is the eldest) just like i said earlier this is an original typical dressing of the ooni regalia no round bead or even hand bead at all
becarefull young man of your lies

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by geosegun(m): 1:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
gregyboy:

like i said benins wore beaded dress centuries before the arrival of the Portuguese that's why it was a necessity for the Portuguese to see the coral as a gift to the oba ....oduduwa a benin prince wondered to the land of ife with his beaded dress was adorn and seen as a godlike dress.
the onni dont were beads like the way it was depicted in oduduwa sculpture because it was never indigenous to them they saw it like an heavenly regalia ...upto the hand bead ,
ask yourself if the beaded dress was not indigenous to the edos how come the edos wear it more unlike the yoruba counterpart

Your response is not scholastic at all. If I were you. I will keep mum. For a man is considered wise even when he keeps quiet. That's my 1 cent...I'll advise you make use of it judiciously. All the best...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 10:53pm On Jun 17, 2019
gregyboy:

the oonis head was buried in the oba palace to show seniority ....it is not seen the other Yoruba state because edo odion( edo is the eldest) just like i said earlier this is an original typical dressing of the ooni regalia no round bead or even hand bead at all
becarefull young man of your lies

Hahaha, poor boy! So, you're still lurking in the background shadows looking for the most desperate face-saving come-back to muster. But of the truth I tell you, despite your days of desperate labour for a come-back, you failed miserably.

No scholarly academic account (or even an amateur account of any of the Bini revisionists) anywhere on Earth (or even in Heaven) claims that any Ooni (or his/her head) was buried outside of Ile-Ife.

What we have here instead is a BRONZE CAST of an Ooni of Ife which by tribal traditional link has to be in Benin palace as a symbol of Benin's subjection to the Ooni's authority, just as how, in modern times, we have the President's (or Governor's) pictures in official places.

And archaeological evidence clearly demonstrates this to be the case as THE FULL BRONZE CAST of the OONI IN ROYAL COSTUME was excavated from the Benin palace.

This corresponds precisely to the fact mentioned in the video I already shared with you that : THE KINGs OF BENIN KINGDOM PAID HOMAGE TO THE OONIs OF IFE.

... And I advise that you urgently make an appointment to visit your ophthalmologist IF TRULY you can't see the sameness of the regalia on this bronze and that on the previous one I had shown you earlier.

On the other hand, we find clear statements in historical accounts of Benin Kingdom that the SEVERED HEAD of certain kings of Benin kingdom had to be buried in Ile-Ife.

For example:

A. F. C. Ryder writes in his classic work viz. A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship that:

"In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who CARRIED THE OBA's REMAINS TO IFE taking about three years over the journey'..."

[A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6, No. 1 (1965), footnote 10.]

Also, the earliest Edo historian that the Binis can point to (i.e. Chief J. U. Egharevba) who is acknowledged all over the world as a classical expert on Benin history writes:

"The HEAD OF THE ROYAL CORPSE was subsequently exhumed and taken to THE ROYAL ANCESTRAL GRAVE AT ILE-IFE; but this was only done in every third reign."

[J. U. Egharevba, Benin Law and Custom, (CMS Niger Press, Port Harcourt 1946), p. 72.]

This ancient tradition is also acknowledged in modern times by the Yorubas too, not only the Binis. In fact, the royal ancestral grave which is mentioned in Egharevba (1946) is known among the Ifes as Orun Oba 'Do.

I like to close out on this with an assignment for you:

(A) Do a careful counting of the Obas of Benin.

(B.) Start with whoever you like of Oranmiyan or Eweka I.
(C.) Count all the "third reign" Obas of Benin whose heads were said to have been exhumed and taken to Ife for burial at the Orun Oba 'Do site.

For example, among the following Obas:

(1)Oranmiyan, (2)Eweka I, (3)Uwakhuanhen, (4)Ehenminhen, (5)Ewedo, (6)Oguola, (7)Edoni,
(8 )Udagbedo, etc.;

Oba Uwakhuanhen's is the first (1st) third reign, while Oba Oguola's is the second (2nd) third reign, and so on.

Even if you consider Eweka I as the reference point, then Oba Ehenminhen's becomes the first (1st) third reign, while Oba Edoni's becomes the second (2nd) third reign, and so forth.

In fact, even if you consider both Oranmiyan and Eweka I as merely laying and sealing the foundation for the new dynasty viz. the Oba dynasty (and using Oba Uwakhuanhen as the reference point), then Oba Ewedo's becomes the first (1st) third reign, while Oba Udagbedo's become the second (2nd) third reign and so forth.

How you choose to proceed with the counting of the number of third reigns (among the above three alternatives) doesn't really make any difference to the fact that you will be learning shortly.

(D.) Record the NUMBER OF THIRD REIGNS you encountered from the first (1st) third reign up until the third reign immediately before Oba Ovanramwen*.

*This is to acknowledge the historical fact that this Ife-Benin tradition stopped from the time the British intervened in Bini's polity in 1897 when Oba Ovanramwen was disgraced and banished from Benin kingdom to Calabar where he then lived, died, and was buried.

(E.) Find out the total NUMBER OF CIRCULAR BURIAL PITS which the British anthropologist, Frank Willett noted that he found at the Orun Oba Ado site during his archaeological excavation of the site in 1961-2.

(F.) COMPARE the numbers from (D.) and (E.) and then revert here to tell everyone if the two are even slightly different from each other, or put forward the excuse of how the two are the same only because of a wild coincidence. Lol!

Additional Note:

To make the assignment fair and easy for you, refer to the Bini-centic webpage below for a comprehensive listing of the Obas of Benin:

https://www.edoworld.net/Obas.html

Also, refer to the reference and information below for the TOTAL NUMBER OF CIRCULAR BURIAL BITS which Frank Willett noted that he found at the Orun Oba Ado site during his excavation of the site:

After having excavated the site for quite some appreciable depth below the topsoil surface level and after some layers, Frank Willett found (among other things) a total of "ELEVEN" circular pits at the Orun Oba Ado site. He concluded that these circular pits are actually the "BURIAL PITS".

[see: Willett 2004: Chapter 1.3, p.14. CITED IN James W. Lankton, O. Akin Ige & Thilo Rehren, "Early Primary Glass Production in Southern Nigeria", Journal of African Archaeology, Vol. 4 (1), 2006, pp. 125 - 126. ]:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274431270_Early_primary_glass_production_in_southern_Nigeria

Cc: geosegun

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 12:00am On Jun 18, 2019
gregyboy:

Nobody is discussing with you on whether or not the Binis used beads and wore it before the Portugese visited the Nigeria region. Of course, the Itsekiris (a Yoruboid language speaking people) knew about beads and used it before them. And that's not even the point, stop distracting because of your evident failure.

The point is simply that archaeological evidence shows clearly that the specific beaded regalia seen on the Ife bronzes (and not seen on any Benin bronze) emanates from Ile-Ife and then introduced to Benin.

You need to explain why you think that the Ife bronze cast in question with that specific beaded costume represents a Benin man.

Despite the fact that the man depicted by the bronze clearly bears the vertical parallel facial ethnic scarification indigenous to Ile-Ife and alien to Benin.

Even you yourself admitted that that specific ethnic facial scaring is an IFE thing, yet you deludedly deceived yourself into thinking that the man with the ethnic facial mark is a Bini man. grin cheesy grin cheesy

Summary:

(1.) No ancient Benin bronze cast shows that particular beaded style

(2.) The ancient Ife bronze cast in question which you think is a Bini man clearly is an Ife man from his ethnic scarification

Go find your banished Benin prince elsewhere. No Benin prince wandered to Ife. Your prince lived and DIED in Ughoton (South of Benin kindom). That is the conclusion reached by all respected and academic sources on Benin history all over the world.

Stop licking sugar and pretending to be happy!

And if you think you have even the TINIEST SHRED OF EVIDENCE to support your imagination that your banished prince Ekaladerhan went to any place apart from some forest in the SOUTH (NOT west) of Benin kingdom (where he founded Ughoton); then BRING FORWARD the evidence. Otherwise, your imagination is AHistorical.

Also, I'm very excited to learn from you about how Ekaladerhan resurrected from the dead at Ughoton and then proceeded to Ile-Ife. grin grin

Finally: You wondered about WHY TODAY the EDOs WEAR BEADS as well as the ANCIENT OONI's REGALIA more than their Yoruba masters:

I love this question because it gives me the opportunity to aptly describe the master-subject relationship between the Ifes and the Binis respectively.

Consider, a similar and apt example of the use of Dane-guns and other basic guns TODAY here in Africa.

Africans didn't invent the Dane-guns and other basic guns as an indigenous thing, the Western Imperialists did and they introduced them to us.

How come TODAY we generally use the Dane-guns and other basic guns more than the West (even in some of our traditional religious activities), while they themselves have EVOLVED with time to the use of more sophisticated weapons like Nuclear Weapons among other WMD?

They were simply not stuck in the past, and the Yorubas similarly were not stuck in the past in the area of dressing.

We evolved from perhaps the leaves of the most ancient times (just as everyone else) to the fabrics and the befitting dressing mode of the present time.

Cheers! grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 6:18am On Jul 27, 2019
TAO11:

Nobody is discussing with you on whether or not the Binis used beads and wore it before the Portugese visited the Nigeria region. Of course, the Itsekiris (a Yoruboid language speaking people) knew about beads and used it before them. And that's not even the point, stop distracting because of your evident failure.

The point is simply that archaeological evidence shows clearly that the specific beaded regalia seen on the Ife bronzes (and not seen on any Benin bronze) emanates from Ile-Ife and then introduced to Benin.

You need to explain why you think that the Ife bronze cast in question with that specific beaded costume represents a Benin man.

Despite the fact that the man depicted by the bronze clearly bears the vertical parallel facial ethnic scarification indigenous to Ile-Ife and alien to Benin.

Even you yourself admitted that that specific ethnic facial scaring is an IFE thing, yet you deludedly deceived yourself into thinking that the man with the ethnic facial mark is a Bini man. grin cheesy grin cheesy

Summary:

(1.) No ancient Benin bronze cast shows that particular beaded style

(2.) The ancient Ife bronze cast in question which you think is a Bini man clearly is an Ife man from his ethnic scarification

Go find your banished Benin prince elsewhere. No Benin prince wandered to Ife. Your prince lived and DIED in Ughoton (South of Benin kindom). That is the conclusion reached by all respected and academic sources on Benin history all over the world.

Stop licking sugar and pretending to be happy!

And if you think you have even the TINIEST SHRED OF EVIDENCE to support your imagination that your banished prince Ekaladerhan went to any place apart from some forest in the SOUTH (NOT west) of Benin kingdom (where he founded Ughoton); then BRING FORWARD the evidence. Otherwise, your imagination is AHistorical.

Also, I'm very excited to learn from you about how Ekaladerhan resurrected from the dead at Ughoton and then proceeded to Ile-Ife. grin grin

Finally: You wondered about WHY TODAY the EDOs WEAR BEADS as well as the ANCIENT OONI's REGALIA more than their Yoruba masters:

I love this question because it gives me the opportunity to aptly describe the master-subject relationship between the Ifes and the Binis respectively.

Consider, a similar and apt example of the use of Dane-guns and other basic guns TODAY here in Africa.

Africans didn't invent the Dane-guns and other basic guns as an indigenous thing, the Western Imperialists did and they introduced them to us.

How come TODAY we generally use the Dane-guns and other basic guns more than the West (even in some of our traditional religious activities), while they themselves have EVOLVED with time to the use of more sophisticated weapons like Nuclear Weapons among other WMD?

They were simply not stuck in the past, and the Yorubas similarly were not stuck in the past in the area of dressing.

We evolved from perhaps the leaves of the most ancient times (just as everyone else) to the fabrics and the befitting dressing mode of the present time.

Cheers! grin

The fact is simply because. what you dont own you cant cherish it or makes full use of it the benin beaded regalia has been modernized over the years without letting it go completely as a sign of modernization as you quoted ,i still wonder what you then mean by letting go of beaded wears by the yorubas as form of modernization ..
Despite the fact we use dune guns we use more of our cutlass to fight than even guns..
The cultist rather use cutlass on is rival than gun even when guns are easier and quicker to kill because the cutlass is an indigenous weapon to ,africans it would be the other way round for a white men because guns are indigenous to them they will surely use a gun to fight rather than a cutlass...

This only tells that Yoruba's never owned beaded wears the only beads the had was the one they traded with thier fellows brothers from the north
Images of yorubas beads compare to the ones in oduduwas neck

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Amujale(m): 9:46am On Jul 27, 2019
Amujale:

Yoruba is an ethnic group not a tribe, Africa has ethnicity not tribes. Yoruba are indigenous to Nigeria.

Brazilian Yorubas can be found all across their country.

1(a)

Nationality: Brazil
Ethnicity: Hispanic

1(b)

Ethnicity: Portuguese

1(c)

Ethnicity: Yoruba

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 3:39pm On Jul 27, 2019
gregyboy:

The fact is simply because. what you dont own you cant cherish it or makes full use of it the benin beaded regalia has been modernized over the years without letting it go completely as a sign of modernization as you quoted ,i still wonder what you then mean by letting go of beaded wears by the yorubas as form of modernization ..
Despite the fact we use dune guns we use more of our cutlass to fight than even guns..
The cultist rather use cutlass on is rival than gun even when guns are easier and quicker to kill because the cutlass is an indigenous weapon to ,africans it would be the other way round for a white men because guns are indigenous to them they will surely use a gun to fight rather than a cutlass...

This only tells that Yoruba's never owned beaded wears the only beads the had was the one they traded with thier fellows brothers from the north

To be very clear with you so that you don't get stuffs twisted:

I am not just finding out that you're a dunce, I knew this long ago. The only reason I'm engaging you, therefore, is to conduct a funeral ceremony for whatever is left of your very low esteem, which I had killed.

So, even though I am aware that your arguments (if they can be called arguments at all) are very very lame, please be aware that I'm indulging you and crushing them just for the aforementioned reason.

And you can run away all you like, you will always find me waiting whenever you become less timid enough to return.

Now to your lame so-called arguments:

"What you don't own you can't cherish" you acontextually remarked.

Could this be the reason why the Europeans (who introduced Dane-guns to Africans) don't even use Dane-guns 'anymore' today? grin

Because they didn't own/invent them in the first place? grin

I hope you are smart enough to notice how your sick, lame so-called argument falls apart with just these two questions alone, before I even analyse further.

If you still can't notice your folly at this point, please let me know, and I will elaborate.

In a way similar to the Europeans (who invented Dane-guns, introduced them to Africans, and then moved on from their use to more sophisticated weaponry), the Yorubas also (rather than being stuck in the past) also moved on from a specific beaded style which they invented in ancient times and introduced to less privilege cultures such as the Edos'

We see this fact very clearly engraved in metals from the example of the ancient bronze/brass sculpture of an ancient Ife-Yoruba king rocking that particular beaded style.
[see 1st attachment below]

And we know that this king is Ife-Yoruba, not by mere assumption, but from the fact that even his Ile-Ife lineage is documented in the sculpture; that is, his ethnic facial scarification --- a marking which you admitted is "a Yoruba thing".
[see '2nd' attachment below]

On the other hand, we see not even one of this particular beaded style documented in any of the tons of ancient Benin bronze/brass sculptures of their kings. Rather we see a different beaded style on their sculptures

What does that tell any sane person about the inventor of the beaded style found on ancient Ife bronze/brass casts of their kings, but not found on ancient Benin bronze/brass casts of their kings?

Now moving on to bead itself:

In as early as the pre-Oduduwa era, Ife had a bustling industry of bead production which grew into a very major source of wealth production for Ife.

The two types of beads produced in Ife were the blue dichoric glass beads (known as segi or akori) and the red tubular coral beads (known as iyun).

--- James W. Lankton, O. Akin Ige & Thilo Rehren, "Early Primary Glass Production in Southern Nigeria", Journal of African Archaeology, Vol. 4 (1), 2006.

In Benin kingdom, on the other hand, beads (i.e. " coral beads" which is their only known type) were said (by their own traditions) to have been first used during Oba Ewuare's reign in Benin --- that is, in the 1400s CE, centuries after the Oduduwa era.

In other words, what the Yorubas already had in the pre-Oduduwa era, the Binis (confessed that they) didn't have it until many centuries later.

Yet you deludely believe the Binin introduced it to their Yoruba masters. You're a joke, aren't you? grin

Lastly to avoid not educating you even on your laughable allusion to cutlass (i.e. iron):

One of the oldest known archaeological evidence for early iron production in the whole of southern Nigeria is found in Yorubaland.

A very vibrant iron production industry flourished among the Yorubas in as early as in the pre-Oduduwa era.

An ancient iron production archaeological site has been discovered at Ife-Ijumu and dated to 160 CE among other sites such as at Ile-Ife, Moniya (Ibadan), Idofin, and Isundunrin.

The Garlake excavations unearthed ancient iron slag and tuyeres. Also, Paul Ozanne points to iron tone quarries in the regions surrounding Ife from which raw materials were dug from iron-bearing rock-clay for smelting.

--- Bassey W. Andah: "Iron Age Beginnings in West Africa: Reflections and Suggestions, " West African Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 9 (1), 1979, pp. 35-50.

--- P. Garlake: "Exacavations at Obalara's Land, Ife, Nigeria, " West African Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 4 (1), pp. 11-48; Ozzane: "A New Archaeological Survey of Ife."

In the light of this fact, please name me an EARLIER date of an archaeological site for iron smelting or (even blacksmithing) in the whole of Benin kindom. grin

And if you can't (and obviously you can't) then accept, without delay and shame, the consequently obvious fact that even iron use itself was introduced to Benin kindom from their Yoruba masters.

No wonder your cult brothers are also stuck in the use of cutlass during their cult clashes rather than progressing to guns, lol! grin

The same way your elders are stuck till date in the use and worship of a particular Yoruba beaded style, even when the original inventors (the Yorubas) have largely moved on from that particular style.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
gregyboy:

And lest I forget, you failed to be man enough to addressthe challenge I gave you in the last home-work. In case you mistakenly "missed" it, then here we go:

"On the other hand, we find clear statements in historical accounts of Benin Kingdom that the SEVERED HEAD of certain kings of Benin kingdom had to be buried in Ile-Ife.

For example:

A. F. C. Ryder writes in his classic work viz. A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship that:

"In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who CARRIED THE OBA's REMAINS TO IFE taking about three years over the journey'..."

[A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6, No. 1 (1965), footnote 10.]

Also, the earliest Edo historian that the Binis can point to (i.e. Chief J. U. Egharevba) who is acknowledged all over the world as a classical expert on Benin history writes:

"The HEAD OF THE ROYAL CORPSE was subsequently exhumed and taken to THE ROYAL ANCESTRAL GRAVE AT ILE-IFE; but this was only done in every THIRD REIGN."

[J. U. Egharevba, Benin Law and Custom, 1934].

This ancient tradition is also acknowledged in modern times by the Yorubas too, not only the Binis. In fact, the royal ancestral grave which is mentioned in Egharevba (1934) is known among the Ifes as Orun Oba 'Do.

I like to close out on this with an assignment for you:

(A) Do a careful counting of the Obas of Benin.

(B.) Start with whoever you like of Oranmiyan or Eweka I.
(C.) Count all the "third reign" Obas of Benin whose heads were said to have been exhumed and taken to Ife for burial at the Orun Oba 'Do site.

For example, among the following Obas:

(1)Oranmiyan, (2)Eweka I, (3)Uwakhuanhen, (4)Ehenminhen, (5)Ewedo, (6)Oguola, (7)Edoni,
(8 )Udagbedo, etc.;

Oba Uwakhuanhen's is the first (1st) third reign, while Oba Oguola's is the second (2nd) third reign, and so on.

Even if you consider Eweka I as the reference point, then Oba Ehenminhen's becomes the first (1st) third reign, while Oba Edoni's becomes the second (2nd) third reign, and so forth.

In fact, even if you consider both Oranmiyan and Eweka I as merely laying and sealing the foundation for the new dynasty viz. the Oba dynasty (and using Oba Uwakhuanhen as the reference point), then Oba Ewedo's becomes the first (1st) third reign, while Oba Udagbedo's become the second (2nd) third reign and so forth.

How you choose to proceed with the counting of the number of third reigns (among the above three alternatives) doesn't really make any difference to the fact that you will be learning shortly.

(D.) Record the NUMBER OF THIRD REIGNS you encountered from the first (1st) third reign up until the third reign immediately before Oba Ovanramwen*.

*This is to acknowledge the historical fact that this Ife-Benin tradition stopped from the time the British intervened in Bini's polity in 1897 when Oba Ovanramwen was disgraced and banished from Benin kingdom to Calabar where he then lived, died, and was buried.

(E.) Find out the total NUMBER OF CIRCULAR BURIAL PITS which the British anthropologist, Frank Willett noted that he found at the Orun Oba Ado site during his archaeological excavation of the site in 1961-2.

(F.) COMPARE the numbers from (D.) and (E.) and then revert here to tell everyone if the two are even slightly different from each other, or put forward the excuse of how the two are the same only because of a wild coincidence. Lol!

Additional Note:

To make the assignment fair and easy for you, refer to the Bini-centic webpage below for a comprehensive listing of the Obas of Benin:

Also, refer to the reference and information below for the TOTAL NUMBER OF CIRCULAR BURIAL PITS which Frank Willett noted that he found at the Orun Oba Ado site during his excavation of the site:

After having excavated the site for quite some appreciable depth below the topsoil surface level and after some layers, Frank Willett found (among other things) a total of "ELEVEN" circular pits at the Orun Oba Ado site. He concluded that these circular pits are actually the "BURIAL PITS".

[see: Willett 2004: Chapter 1.3, p.14. CITED IN James W. Lankton, O. Akin Ige & Thilo Rehren, "Early Primary Glass Production in Southern Nigeria", Journal of African Archaeology, Vol. 4 (1), 2006, pp. 125 - 126. ]:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274431270_Early_primary_glass_production_in_southern_Nigeria "

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 4:27pm On Jul 28, 2019
TAO11:

To be very clear with you so that you don't get stuffs twisted:

I am not just finding out that you're a dunce, I knew this long ago. The only reason I'm engaging you, therefore, is to conduct a funeral ceremony for whatever is left of your very low esteem, which I had killed.

So, even though I am aware that your arguments (if they can be called arguments at all) are very very lame, please be aware that I'm indulging you and crushing them just for the aforementioned reason.

And you can run away all you like, you will always find me waiting whenever you become less timid enough to return.

Now to your lame so-called arguments:

"What you don't own you can't cherish" you acontextually remarked.

Could this be the reason why the Europeans (who introduced Dane-guns to Africans) don't even use Dane-guns 'anymore' today? grin

Because they didn't own/invent them in the first place? grin

I hope you are smart enough to notice how your sick, lame so-called argument falls apart with just these two questions alone, before I even analyse further.

If you still can't notice your folly at this point, please let me know, and I will elaborate.

In a way similar to the Europeans (who invented Dane-guns, introduced them to Africans, and then moved on from their use to more sophisticated weaponry), the Yorubas also (rather than being stuck in the past) also moved on from a specific beaded style which they invented in ancient times and introduced to less privilege cultures such as the Edos'

We see this fact very clearly engraved in metals from the example of the ancient bronze/brass sculpture of an ancient Ife-Yoruba king rocking that particular beaded style.
[see 1st attachment below]

And we know that this king is Ife-Yoruba, not by mere assumption, but from the fact that even his Ile-Ife lineage is documented in the sculpture; that is, his ethnic facial scarification --- a marking which you admitted is "a Yoruba thing".
[see '2nd' attachment below]

On the other hand, we see not even one of this particular beaded style documented in any of the tons of ancient Benin bronze/brass sculptures of their kings. Rather we see a different beaded style on their sculptures

What does that tell any sane person about the inventor of the beaded style found on ancient Ife bronze/brass casts of their kings, but not found on ancient Benin bronze/brass casts of their kings?

Now moving on to bead itself:

In as early as the pre-Oduduwa era, Ife had a bustling industry of bead production which grew into a very major source of wealth production for Ife.

The two types of beads produced in Ife were the blue dichoric glass beads (known as segi) and the red tubular coral beads (known as iyun).

--- James W. Lankton, O. Akin Ige & Thilo Rehren, "Early Primary Glass Production in Southern Nigeria", Journal of African Archaeology, Vol. 4 (1), 2006.

In Benin kingdom, on the other hand, beads (i.e. " coral beads" which is their only known type) were said (by their own traditions) to have been first used during Oba Ewuare's reign in Benin --- that is, in the 1400s CE, centuries after the Oduduwa era.

In other words, what the Yorubas already had in the pre-Oduduwa era, the Binis (confessed that they) didn't have it until many centuries later.

Yet you deludely believe the Binin introduced it to their Yoruba masters. You're a joke, aren't you? grin

Lastly to avoid not educating you even on your laughable allusion to cutlass (i.e. iron):

One of the oldest known archaeological evidence for early iron production in the whole of southern Nigeria is found in Yorubaland.

A very vibrant iron production industry flourished among the Yorubas in as early as in the pre-Oduduwa era.

An ancient iron production archaeological site has been discovered at Ife-Ijumu and dated to 160 CE among other sites such as at Ile-Ife, Moniya (Ibadan), Idofin, and Isundunrin.

The Garlake excavations unearthed ancient iron slag and tuyeres. Also, Paul Ozanne points to iron tone quarries in the regions surrounding Ife from which raw materials were dug from iron-bearing rock-clay for smelting.

--- Bassey W. Andah: "Iron Age Beginnings in West Africa: Reflections and Suggestions, " West African Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 9 (1), 1979, pp. 35-50.

--- P. Garlake: "Exacavations at Obalara's Land, Ife, Nigeria, " West African Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 4 (1), pp. 11-48; Ozzane: "A New Archaeological Survey of Ife."

In the light of this fact, please name me an EARLIER date of an archaeological site for iron smelting or (even blacksmithing) in the whole of Benin kindom. grin

And if you can't (and obviously you can't) then accept, without delay and shame, the consequently obvious fact that even iron use itself was introduced to Benin kindom from their Yoruba masters.

No wonder your cult brothers are also stuck in the use of cutlass during their cult clashes rather than progressing to guns, lol! grin

The same way your elders are stuck till date in the use and worship of a particular Yoruba beaded style, even when the original inventors (the Yorubas) have largely moved on from that particular style.

You keep using eghrevbas work as quotation several edo authors have disproven him wrong even from the centre of historical knowledge did the same, i wonder whats your gain always siting egharevbas wrong works. is that what they taught you in the university quoting wrong works

Like i said earlier the markings on oduduwa face is the sculpturist own perception of beautification ,that wont alter the fact that the beaded dress or the entire regaliais not portraying edo costume

You and your fellow brother keep saying the heads of the oba of benin was buried in ife with no prove then i ask why is it that only the oba of benin does that to show seniority what about other yoruba towns

Dunes guns i clearly stated that europeans mordernized dune guns to what they have now they didnt completely let go of guns because they found bombs or nuclear weapon
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 7:01pm On Jul 28, 2019
gregyboy:

You keep using eghrevbas work as quotation several edo authors have disproven him wrong even from the centre of historical knowledge did the same, i wonder whats your gain always siting egharevbas wrong works. is that what they taught you in the university quoting wrong works

Like i said earlier the markings on oduduwa face is the sculpturist own perception of beautification ,that wont alter the fact that the beaded dress or the entire regaliais not portraying edo costume

You and your fellow brother keep saying the heads of the oba of benin was buried in ife with no prove then i ask why is it that only the oba of benin does that to show seniority what about other yoruba towns

Dunes guns i clearly stated that europeans mordernized dune guns to what they have now they didnt completely let go of guns because they found bombs or nuclear weapon

Disproven Egharevba? LMFAO!!!

Which Edo liar disproved Egharevba? You obviously need to go back to high school to really understand what it means to disprove.

If you can cite me one --- just one --- Edo author who meets the following characteristics, then I will start citing that author:

(i) The work of the Edo author must be earlier than that of the Edo author (i.e. Chief Egharevba) whom I cited.

(ii) The work of the Edo author must cite the source of its information, as well as the name of its Edo informants.

(iii) The work of the Edo author must be recognized in Nigeria, Africa, or the world at large as more authoritative than Egharevba's.

Guess what, you can never come forward with any such work, even from your made-up so-called Center of Historical Knowledge, located in heaven, right? Lol! cheesy.
I challenge you to come forward with the proof just as requested.

You cant find any such work and the reason is simple. Egharevba's account of Benin History is the first and the earliest from any Edo person living or dead.

And contrary to your lie, his work has been praised by the leading experts and scholars of Benin History from all over the world. The leading and world-renowned scholar on Benin History, Professor R. E. Bradbury remarked about Chief Egharevba's account of Benin in the following words:

"It has become something of a classic, known and relied upon not only in Nigeria, but by scholars all over the world, (as) ... a valuable, indeed an indispensable, pioneering work."

He lauded Chief Egharevba's work for the very thing that later Benin revisionists (such as: S. B. Omoregie; E. Akenzua; D. U. Edebiri; A. Iyare; D. N. Orosanye; N. Omoigui; among other Benin 21st century e-rats like your self) will fail to do, namely: No citation of sources of their information and no names of informants.

Professor Bradbury lauded Chief J. U. Egharevba for gathering his data: "from well-selected informants who had grown to maturity before 1897. The memories of which they retained of past traditions had not had much time to be overlaid and distorted by pressing interests and new problems of the modern world."

It is certainly Benin e-rats like you, and not experts, who "disproved" Chief J. U. Egharevba. cheesy cheesy

Whether you Benin e-rats like Egharevba or not because he wrote the pure and unadulterated truth of Benin History, he remains the leading and most authoritative Edo historian recognized not only in Nigeria and Africa, but also all over the world.

Bring forward a more authoritative Edo author alongside your proof if you believe otherwise. Lol!

However, Chief Egharevba was not the only scholar who attested to the Benin tradition of sending some remains of a late Oba of Benin to Ile-Ife for burial, this fact was also attested by others scholars.

I cited you A. F. C. Ryder's A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship wherein he alluded to R. E. Bradbury's personal experience with the Edos. Ryder writes:

"In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who CARRIED THE OBA's REMAINS TO IFE ...' "

---- see: A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6 (1), 1965, footnote 10.

Another scholarly mention of this Benin tradition is also found (among other works) in R. C. C. Law's work wherein he admitted in very clear, emphatic, and unmistakable terms that:

"At Benin, parts of the bodies of the deceased kings were sent to Ile Ife for burial"

---- see: R. C. C. Law, "The Heritage of Oduduwa", The Journal of African History, Vol. 14 (2), 1973, p. 211.

Moreover, you've just been caught lying about the facial scarification. You're obviously a liar and an ignoramus, but I would not cease to expose you to the world and also to always educate you until you leave here better than you came.

Firstly, the facial marking on the sculpture was not an artistic impression of beauty by the sculptor, but rather (as I have already educated you earlier) an ethnic facial scarification of one of the two dynastic lines of Ife.

And I have attached an actual photograph of a middle-aged man with such an ethnic marking; thus proving that the marking is a cultural reality.

--- see the attached photograph one more time.

Secondly, Ife art (as admitted even by experts) is based on what is called naturalism and realism as opposed to your made-up so-called artistic perception which has been crushed above anyways. cheesy cheesy

Furthermore, did you just unashamedly say that no proof has been adduced for the Benin tradition of burying the severed head of every third reign late Oba of Benin at the Orun Oba 'Do site in Ile-Ife? undecided cheesy

At this point I need to ask you a very pertinent question namely: How many proofs make one proof? because you've earlier-on been provided with at least two proofs. And one more has just been included now.

For a refresher see the proofs below one more time:

(i) "The head of the royal corpse was subsequently exhumed and taken to royal ancestral grave at Ile-Ife: but this was only done in every third reign."

--- see: J. U. Egharevba, Benin Law and Custom, (CMS Niger Press, Port Harcourt 1946), p. 72.

--- see also: J. U. Egharevba, A Short History of Benin, (3rd ed., 1960), p. 9.

--- see also: Benin Law and Custom (1934).

(ii) "In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who CARRIED THE OBA's REMAINS TO IFE ...' "

--- see: A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6 (1), 1965, footnote 10.

(iii) "At Benin, parts of the bodies of the deceased kings were sent to Ile Ife for burial"

--- see: R. C. C. Law, "The Heritage of Oduduwa", The Journal of African History, Vol. 14 (2), 1973, p. 211.

(iv) And lastly, I am still waiting on you for the homework I gave you regarding a comparison of the total number of third reign Obas of Benin prior to Ovanramwen AND the total number of burial pits found by Frank Willett at Orun Oba Ado site when he excavated the site during his 1961-2 archaeological excavation.

And mind you, the particular reason why these heads have to come back home is simply a tradition of acknowledging Yorubaland as home. Other Yoruba kings reside already within Yorubaland.

And lastly, on your idiotic statement that the Europeans "didn't COMPLETELY let go of guns because they found bombs or nuclear weapon":

I am shocked and worried that you're too dumb to realize that the Yorubas likewise didn't completely let go of beads for silver, gold, and diamond.

They simply "modernized" and evolved into a different beaded costume, style, and regalia; while largely letting go of a specific beaded costume, style, and regalia which they'd invented and introduced to others less privileged cultures, including the Binis.

Furthermore, I am shocked that you went mute on the point I raised about the earlier date of bead production and use at Ile-Ife as compared to the centuries later that beads was first to be used in Benin kingdom during the reign of your Oba Ewuare.

Are you implying that your Oba Ewuare lived before your fictitious Idoduwa (or Izoduwa, or Imadoduwa, or Omonoyan, or Ekaladerhan) because you claimed that your fictitious Idoduwa (or Izoduwa, or Imadoduwa, or Omonoyan, or Ekaladerhan) wore beads; whereas beads wasn't used by the Binis until during Ewuare's reign ?? cheesy cheesy cheesy

You're obviously a brainwashed and confused MUGU!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by gregyboy(m): 8:09pm On Jul 28, 2019
TAO11:

Disproven Egharevba? LMFAO!!!

Which Edo liar disproved Egharevba? You obviously need to go back to high school to really understand what it means to disprove.

If you can cite me one --- just one --- Edo author who meets the following characteristics, then I will start citing that author:

(i) The work of the Edo author must be earlier than that of the Edo author (i.e. Chief Egharevba) that I cited.

(ii) The work of the Edo author must cite the source of its information, as well as the name of its Edo informants.

(iii) The work of the Edo author must be recognized in Nigeria, Africa, and the world at large as more authoritative than Egharevba's.

Guess what, you can never come forward with any such work, even from your made-up so-called Center of Historical Knowledge, located in heaven, right? Lol! cheesy.
I challenge you to come forward with the proof just as requested.

You cant find any such work and the reason is simple. Egharevba's account of Benin History is the first and the earliest from any Edo person living or dead.

And contrary to your lie, his work has been praised by the leading experts and scholars of Benin History from all over the world. The leading and world-renowned scholar on Benin History, Professor R. E. Bradbury remarked about Chief Egharevba's account of Benin in the following words:

"It has become something of a classic, known and relied upon not only in Nigeria, but by scholars all over the world, (as) ... a valuable, indeed an indispensable, pioneering work."

He lauded Chief Egharevba's work for the very thing that later Benin revisionists (such as: S. B. Omoregie; E. Akenzua; D. U. Edebiri; A. Iyare; D. N. Orosanye; N. Omoigui; among other Benin 21st century e-rats like your self) will fail to do, namely: No citation of sources of their information and no names of informants.

Professor Bradbury lauded Chief J. U. Egharevba for gathering his data: "from well-selected informants who had grown to maturity before 1897. The memories of which they retained of past traditions had not had much time to be overlaid and distorted by pressing interests and new problems of the modern world."

It is certainly Benin e-rats like you, and not experts, who "disproved" Chief J. U. Egharevba. cheesy cheesy

Whether you Benin e-rats like Egharevba or not because he wrote the pure and unadulterated truth of Benin History, he remains the leading and most authoritative Edo historian recognized not only in Nigeria and Africa, but also all over the world.

Bring forward a more authoritative Edo author alongside your proof if you believe otherwise. Lol!

However, Chief Egharevba was not the only scholar who attested to the Benin tradition of sending some remains of a late Oba of Benin to Ile-Ife for burial, this fact was also attested by others scholars.

I cited you A. F. C. Ryder's A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship wherein he alluded to R. E. Bradbury's personal experience with the Edos. Ryder writes:

"In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who CARRIED THE OBA's REMAINS TO IFE ...' "

---- see: A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6 (1), 1965, footnote 10.

Another scholarly mention of this Benin tradition is also found (among other works) in R. C. C. Law's work wherein he admitted in very clear, emphatic, and unmistakable terms that:

"At Benin, parts of the bodies of the deceased kings were sent to Ile Ife for burial"

---- see: R. C. C. Law, "The Heritage of Oduduwa", The Journal of African History, Vol. 14 (2), 1973, p. 211.

Moreover, you've just been caught lying about the facial scarification. You're obviously a liar and an ignoramus, but I would not cease to expose you to the world and also to always educate you until you leave here better than you came.

Firstly, the facial marking on the sculpture was not an artistic impression of beauty by the sculptor, but rather (as I have already educated you earlier) an ethnic facial scarification of one of the two dynastic lines of Ife.

And I have attached a photograph of a middle-aged 20th century modern Ife man with such ethnic marking; thus proving that the marking is a cultural reality.

--- see the attached photoograph one more time.

Secondly, Ife art (as admitted even by experts) is based on what is called naturalism and realism as opposed to your made-up so-called artistic perception which has been crushed above anyways. cheesy cheesy

Furthermore, did you just unashamedly say that no proof has been adduced for the Benin tradition of burying the severed head of every third reign late Oba of Benin at the Orun Oba 'Do site in Ile-Ife? undecided cheesy

At this point I need to ask you a very pertinent question namely: How many proofs make one proof? because you've earlier-on been provided with at least two proofs. And one more has just been included now.

For a refresher see the proofs below one more time:

(i) "The head of the royal corpse was subsequently exhumed and taken to royal ancestral grave at Ile-Ife: but this was only done in every third reign."

--- see: J. U. Egharevba, Benin Law and Custom, (CMS Niger Press, Port Harcourt 1946), p. 72.

--- see also: J. U. Egharevba, A Short History of Benin, (3rd ed., 1960), p. 9.

--- see also: Benin Law and Custom (1934).

(ii) "In a personal communication, Dr R. E. Bradbury points out that 'the Edo speak of the messengers who CARRIED THE OBA's REMAINS TO IFE ...' "

--- see: A. F. C. Ryder, "A Reconsideration of the Ife-Benin Relationship", The Journal of African History, Vol. 6 (1), 1965, footnote 10.

(iii) "At Benin, parts of the bodies of the deceased kings were sent to Ile Ife for burial"

--- see: R. C. C. Law, "The Heritage of Oduduwa", The Journal of African History, Vol. 14 (2), 1973, p. 211.

(iv) And lastly, I am still waiting on you for the homework I gave you regarding a comparison of the total number of third reign Obas of Benin prior to Ovanramwen AND the total number of burial pits found by Frank Willett at Orun Oba Ado site when he excavated the site during his 1961-2 archaeological excavation.

And mind you, the particular reason why these heads have to come back home is simply a tradition of acknowledging Yorubaland as home. Other Yoruba kings reside already within Yorubaland.

And lastly, on your idiotic statement that the Europeans "didn't COMPLETELY let go of guns because they found bombs or nuclear weapon":

I am shocked and worried that you're too dumb to realize that the Yorubas likewise didn't completely let go of beads for silver, gold, and diamond.

They simply "modernized" and evolved into a different beaded costume, style, and regalia; while largely letting go of a specific beaded costume, style, and regalia which they'd invented and introduced to others less privileged culturea, including the Binis.

Furthermore, I am shocked that you went mute on the point I raised about the earlier date of bead production and use at re-use as compared to the centuries later that it was first to be used in Benin kingdom during the reign of your Oba Ewuare.

Are you implying that your Oba Ewuare lived before your fictitious Idoduwa (or Izoduwa, or Imadoduwa, or Omonoyan, or Ekaladerhan) because you claimed that your fictitious Idoduwa (or Izoduwa, or Imadoduwa, or Omonoyan, or Ekaladerhan) wore beads; whereas beads wasn't used by the Binis until during Ewuare's reign ?? cheesy cheesy cheesy

You're obviously a brainwashed and confused MUGU!!!

And who said bead's weren't used before the ewares days...lol you probably have read to many craps on the internet that has made you incapable of thinking for yourself ...the benin palace is the centre of historical knowledge which egharevba never got close to ....
Because he was the earliest edo writer would make is works right .you can agree to the fact thst all works of today where improvement of earlier works. i believe you know this. before the advent of the Portuguese benins already wore beads ...unlike the yorubas that thier beads had to be gotten from the fulanis...you're a clown my friend
You need to improve on self knowledge dont just read craps from the internent and start believing ..even if you get to read from the internent at least do a calculative research first
Egharevbas made mentioned of buried heads of oba of benin did you considered the probability of him been wrong or to you because is an edo man, or because he was the earliest writer then he must be correct .egharevbas schooled in the old western region have you considered the fact that he might have writren on bigotry...
I did a research and i found out that round beads were not indigenous to the yorubas but oduduwa had it on and at the same time the edos claims oduduwa is thier son would you call that fact or coincidence

The british did well to destroy the edo culture and because yorubas got to write earlier wouldnt remove the fact edo reigned superior over all yoruba state like i said the word oba was popularised in the west by the british yoruba history started at the arrival if the britsh quote me anywhere
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 3:54am On Jul 29, 2019
gregyboy:

And who said bead's weren't used before the ewares days...lol you probably have read to many craps on the internet that has made you incapable of thinking for yourself ...the benin palace is the centre of historical knowledge which egharevba never got close to ....
Because he was the earliest edo writer would make is works right .you can agree to the fact thst all works of today where improvement of earlier works. i believe you know this. before the advent of the Portuguese benins already wore beads ...unlike the yorubas that thier beads had to be gotten from the fulanis...you're a clown my friend
You need to improve on self knowledge dont just read craps from the internent and start believing ..even if you get to read from the internent at least do a calculative research first
Egharevbas made mentioned of buried heads of oba of benin did you considered the probability of him been wrong or to you because is an edo man, or because he was the earliest writer then he must be correct .egharevbas schooled in the old western region have you considered the fact that he might have writren on bigotry...
I did a research and i found out that round beads were not indigenous to the yorubas but oduduwa had it on and at the same time the edos claims oduduwa is thier son would you call that fact or coincidence

The british did well to destroy the edo culture and because yorubas got to write earlier wouldnt remove the fact edo reigned superior over all yoruba state like i said the word oba was popularised in the west by the british yoruba history started at the arrival if the britsh quote me anywhere

I'm glad that you're now becoming humble enough to be asking questions and admitting your ignorance.

Regarding your question: "Who said beads weren't used (in Benin kingdom) before Eware's days?"

Your Benin tradition says so. Not Yoruba tradition, but Benin tradition. Your Benin-centric websites confirm this; academic scholarships also confirm it. See below:

see: Your Benin website viz. http://www.edofolks.com/html/pub8.htm for evidence that Benin tradition claims that Ewuare 1 was responsible for introducing beads into Benin culture.

see also: Academic attestation viz. https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/topic-essays/show/4?start=1 confirming the Benin tradition claims that Ewuare 1 was responsible for introducing beads into Benin culture.

And by the way, Ewuare 1 ruled Benin from 1440 to 1473 even according to your Benin chronology of kings, see: https://www.edoworld.net/Obas.html

However, the first Portuguese delegation to Benin kingdom wasn't until after Ewuare's reign in the year 1480, led by João Afonso d'Aveiros.

(1) Having shown you evidence from your own Benin tradition, it becomes clear that your fictitious Idoduwa could never have worn beads; since Ewuare 1 lived some 13 generations after your fictitious Idoduwa (aka Ekaladerhan) as you all claim. cheesy cheesy

(2) This specific ancient Ife bronze/brass sculpture depicting a king with elaborate beaded regalia was excavated from Wumonije site in Ile-Ife and is dated by experts to the early 14th century --- in other words, the early 1300s; i.e. some 100 years before Ewuare 1. cheesy cheesy

--- see: Suzanne Preston Blier, "Art in Ancient Ife, Birthplace of the Yoruba", African Arts, Winter 2012, Vol. 45 (4), p. 76
https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/blier/files/blier.pdf

(3) This specific ancient Ife bronze/brass sculpture depicts an Ife-Yoruba king evident from his facial markings representing one of the dynastic lines of
ancient Ife, an example of which is seen in the attached photograph of a middle-aged man.

The Yoruba people have, in fact, been producing beads in Ile-Ife since as early as the 12th century --- that is, since as early as the 1100s. --- that is, some 300 years before the Binis would be exposed, by Ewuare 1, to the use of beads (not even necessarily its production).

Refer to the following link:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281149310_Glass_Beads_from_Igbo-Olokun_Ile-Ife_Chemical_Composition_Production_and_Regional_Interaction

It contains the scholarly paper entitled:

"Glass Beads from Igbo-Olokun, Ile-Ife: Chemical Composition, Production, and Regional Interaction",

The papers was presented at an annual conference of the Society for American Archaeology.

And it states clearly in the Abstract, and I quote, that:

"The site of Igbo Olokun in the city of Ife, in southwestern Nigeria has been identified as a primary glass and glass beads production center dating to the “Classic” period (12th-15th c.)" cheesy cheesy

Your suggestion that beads were not produced in Ife centuries before Benin (and that the Yorubas instead got beads from the Hausas) thus becomes demolished; and you, therefore, become exposed to the world, one more time, as the liar that you are.

Furthermore, you mentioned that Chief Egharevba "schooled" in the old western region, hence he could have been writing to elevate the Yorubas rather than uphold his own Edo heritage.

This is the most insanely idiotic lame excuse I have ever read from a dull Benin e-rat in recent time. But to educate you as I have promised:

Firstly, the old western region of Nigeria wasn't formed until 1960. Whereas, Egharevba had spent part of his primary school days in Yoruba land after which he had already returned to Benin around 1911. You're obviously too ignorant to know what you're talking about.

If I get you right, are you saying that Chief Egharevba's writings which began in 1933/1934 was intended to be against his own Edo heritage just because he spent part of his primary school days in Yoruba land?

But your past Oba of Benin namely: Erediauwa who himself went through not only secondary school (i.e. Government College Ibadan), but also higher institution (Yaba College) both fully in Yorubaland did not become bigoted; but rather it was a partial-Yorubaland-primary-school attendee who became bigoted through his "schooling".

I hope you are smart enough to notice how I have exposed your cheap excuse to be insanely idiotic and lame. It doesn't fly at all, try harder. cheesy cheesy

Also, read up on what is called Criterion of Embarrasment and get some more education.

You claimed wishfully that Egharevba wasn't close to the Benin palace, but this again is another confirmation of your ignorance. Chief Jacob Uwadiae Egharevba was the then Obakhavbaye of Benin.

Also, not only is J. U. Egharevba an Edo historian, not only is he the earliest Edo historian; his work is actually "a classic", "a valuable", "an indispensable pioneering work" which is "relied upon ... by scholars all over the world", says the scholar Bradbury.

Not only that, he cited his sources, and he named his informants. Bradbury noted that he carefully selected his informants from among elders "who had grown to maturity before 1897 (i.e. before British intervention)".

In other words, the memory of past traditions which these informants retained was still fresh and had not yet been distorted by the coming happenstances that followed the year 1897.

Please explain how later Edo writers liars who did not cite their sources, nor name their informants (but were simply writing wishfully as you've been doing here) are supposed to be improving upon the earlier work of Egharevba which is backed by solid evidence.

Chief Egharevba's deep and vast knowledge of ancient Benin history, law and custom earned him a specialist position, whereby he is being consulted by the Palace during Native Court cases.

His knowledge of ancient Benin history, law and custom also earned him the position of the Curator of the Benin Museum.

Like I have challenged you before, produce one Edo historian --- just one --- who is recognized in Nigeria, in Africa, or in the world at large as being more authoritative than Egharevba on Benin History. I am waiting! cheesy cheesy

And it wasn't only Chief Egharevba who admitted the Benin tradition of sending the severed head of the late Obas to Ife for burial, the same tradition was also confirmed by Bradbury's personal experience with the Edos, as I have quoted earlier.

The most laughable part of your comment is where you said: "I did a research and I found out that round beads were not indigenous to the Yorubas".

I actually had a good laugh because the whole point of this exchange is so that you can prove whatever point you have. Why did you do a "research" and yet you're afraid to bring forward the evidence of the research? Did you think I would beat you?

No, you didn't! It's simple to figure out, you simply didn't do any research. No research says any such nonsense because such nonsense contradicts a piece of hard archaeological evidence which you can see right before you --- that is;

An Ife-Yoruba king sculpted in details, revealing his rounded on long beads as well as his specific Ife-Yoruba dynastic line, and dating to a period prior to the knowledge of beads in Benin kingdom (i.e. dating to the early 1300s).

--- see image of the sculpture below.

If you had really "researched" anything, I wouldn't have to remind you to bring forward the evidence. cheesy cheesy

As has been shown, your fictitious Izoduwa (whom you Benin revisionist e-rats are desperate to equate with Oduduwa) supposedly lived before Ewuare 1, yet Ewuare 1 is credited by Benin traditions for being the one who introduced beads to Benin kingdom.

How then did your fictitious Imadoduwa wear beads before Ewuare? cheesy cheesy

Oh, I know how, your fictitious Izoduwa must have jetted into the future using a time travel machine, hijacked some beads from Ewuare 1, and then returned back into the past. cheesy cheesy

And then you concluded with the usual Bini victim mentality argument which you all pull whenever you are bereft of what to say. So, now that the British did indeed "DESTROY the Edo culture" already as you've claimed; can we then agree that you Edos have no culture anymore? cheesy cheesy

Also, the Obas of Benin paid homage to Ile-Ife (and not the other way round). Visit time 47:16 to 49:00 of the BBC/British Museum documentary at the following link for a refresher course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQY_Jd--pwI&t=2070s

Lastly, I remember already flogging you on your absurd "Oba" claim, a couple of weeks ago, when I asked you a very important question on the etymological derivation of the word "Oba" in Edo language.

I noted that IF the word "Oba" (for "King" ) was always part of Edo lexicon, then the word (i.e. "Oba" ) must not only have an etymological derivation from Edo language, but the root word from which the word "Oba" is to be derived must also make it signify "King" or "Ruler"

And the rambling you gave as explanation failed miserably and woefully.

The word "Oba" in Edo language is said to be derived from the root word "Ba". This Edo root word clearly means: "Shine" or "Brighten", such that the derived form "Oba" then means: "That which shines" or "That which brightens."

This is not the same as the word: "Ruler" or "King" by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand; the word "Oba" (for "King" ) comes from the Yoruba language. It comes from the root word "Ba" (as seen in the phrase: "Oba Ba Lori Ohun Gbo-gbo" --- meaning, "King rules over everything")

"Ba" clearly means "Rule", "Preside", or "Dominate", such that the derived form "Oba" then means: "One who rules", "One who presides", or "One who dominates".

This is clearly one and the same as the word: "Ruler" or "King".

Like I had promised you, my motive is that you do not leave this discussion empty-headed like when you came in.

Mind you, I am still waiting on you for the homework I gave you regarding the comparison of:

(1) The total number of "third reign" Obas of Benin prior to Ovoranmwen, whose exhumed heads were sent to Ife for burial at the Orun Oba Ado site.

AND

(2) The total number of "burial pits" found by Frank Willett at the Orun Oba Ado site, when he excavated the site during his 1961-2 archaeological excavation.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274431270_Early_primary_glass_production_in_southern_Nigeria
(pages 125 to 126)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 5:49am On Aug 01, 2019
My bro nisai

You made sure you finished reading all the comments here. Lol

I was resetting that Benin boy's brain. cheesy

Nice one, bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by nisai: 2:48pm On Aug 01, 2019
TAO11:
My bro nisai

You made sure you finished reading all the comments here. Lol

I was resetting that Benin boy's brain. cheesy

Nice one, bro
Naso omo iye mi. I could not help but follow you at once; I must learn more lol.

Forgive me, are you really a female? Forgive me again, I like you. wink cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2019
nisai:
Naso omo iye mi. I could not help but follow you at once; I must learn more lol.

Forgive me, are you really a female? Forgive me again, I like you. wink cheesy

Same here bro. I also had to quickly follow.

It's also cool to know you are of the Ijebu extraction (or you at least speak the Ijebu dialect of Yoruba language).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by nisai: 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2019
TAO11:

Same here bro. I also had to quickly follow.

It's also cool to know you are of the Ijebu extraction (or you at least speak the Ijebu dialect of Yoruba language).
Yea, ọmọ alarẹ re mi wa -- waterside.

Kidẹ ṣe ke daun ohun mo birọ nọwọ rẹ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 6:42pm On Aug 01, 2019
nisai:
Yea, ọmọ alarẹ re mi wa -- waterside.

Kidẹ ṣe ke daun ohun mo birọ nọwọ rẹ?

Lol,

Shi mi ro fọ oma ti ye rẹ idi ri mi ṣe dahun. ṣi mi fẹ ki-awọn ọmọ ajokuta-mamomi ọkan mọ fọ mimi ṣe obirẹn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by nisai: 6:49pm On Aug 01, 2019
TAO11:

Lol,

Shi mi ro fọ oma ti ye rẹ idi ri mi ṣe dahun. ṣi mi fẹ ki-awọn ọmọ ajokuta-mamomi ọkan mọ fọ mimi ṣe obirẹn.
Wo jare ọmọ iye mi. Ṣi Ọpọlọ rẹ ma ma ji pepe nọjọ kọjọ. Wo jare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2019
nisai:
Wo jare ọmọ iye mi. Ṣi Ọpọlọ rẹ ma ma ji pepe nọjọ kọjọ. Wo jare.

Aṣẹ wa! ... Lol
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by compton11(m): 7:40am On Aug 02, 2019
Unlimitk:

Check their DNA
U don't know if white mix with black,white will b dominant
Eventually they will look like white ppl after race mixing
White genes is strong
Have u seen Drake?
Would u then say drake Is only white after Drake has black father
Na lie no white blood is dominant,do u see boateng of Bayern? his mother is white

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Amujale(m): 12:38am On Aug 12, 2019
compton11:
Na lie no white blood is dominant,do u see boateng of Bayern? his mother is white

Everyone knows that African genes are the dominant ones, thats just common sense.

Ones lins of relation takes its dominance from the ancients.

Similarly, given that the place they call Africa is with a bubbling lovable community for hundred of thousands of years before Africans began to migrate towards the other continents and went on to populate the world.

The Anatomical sciences tells us that the African genes is mostly a perfect match for themselves and every other nationalities or tribal peoples from anywhere on the globe.

Furthermore, theres only one kind of female humanoid that retains the special ability of their ancestry, the ability to conceive stock from outside of their genetic and biological boundaries.

Only African woman retain the special ability of being able to conceieve any other nationality type i.e Chineese, Japanesse, European, Asian, American e.t.c

Again, a perfect example of how the Almighty God infused into our biology these unique types of abilities that continues to remain a marvel to foreign scientist and academics from all around the globe.
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by compton11(m): 7:40am On Aug 12, 2019
Amujale:

Everyone knows that African genes are the dominant ones, thats just common sense.

Ones lins of relation takes its dominance from the ancients.

Similarly, given that the place they call Africa is with a bubbling lovable community for hundred of thousands of years before Africans began to migrate towards the other continents and went on to populate the world.

The Anatomical sciences tells us that the African genes is mostly a perfect match for themselves and every other nationalities or tribal peoples from anywhere on the globe.

Furthermore, theres only one kind of female humanoid that retains the special ability of their ancestry, the ability to conceive stock from outside of their genetic and biological boundaries.

Only African woman retain the special ability of being able to conceieve any other nationality type i.e Chineese, Japanesse, European, Asian, American e.t.c

Again, a perfect example of how the Almighty God infused into our biology these unique types of abilities that continues to remain a marvel to foreign scientist and academics from all around the globe.
that is EVE GENE bro,the thing that black women process, there was one disease that the Europeans introduced to the native American,the disease used to kill their children, but when they start marry blacks and having children, the disease didn't kill those mixed children

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Amujale(m): 9:48am On Aug 12, 2019
compton11:
that is EVE GENE bro,the thing that black women process, there was one disease that the Europeans introduced to the native American,the disease used to kill their children, but when they start marry blacks and having children, the disease didn't kill those mixed children

Oil dey your head my brother

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by FisifunKododada: 11:31pm On Aug 12, 2019
This grey-boy is a glutton for punishment. He has been flogged severally on dis thread but he keeps coming back for more like a sex-addicted ol0losh0

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Olu317(m): 11:51pm On Aug 12, 2019
Kokoebapluse:

According to ifa ( Oracle)( odu) means something like title or let say topic.

And( iwa) means character. As ifa ( Oracle) say and show about destiny of odudua it means (title of character) and they name him after his destiny according ifa view, but as time passes on and people pronounced change it as normal thing as we all know so they turn it to odudua, but his real name is (odu iwa.)
The name Odudawa or Dawaodu is drawn from the word of God ( Ifaodu or Oduifa). And loosely transliterated as :
Odu da Iwa or Da Iwa Odu are both same in meaning.

Meaning:
Odu~ vessel or base or foundation or orbit or source

Da~ create or mould or form

Iwa~ stainless or spotless or perfect or holy or Godly identity

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Olu317(m): 12:15am On Aug 13, 2019
TAO11, there is one thing you need understand about the mark on the ancient Ileife King's ,which was as a result of ceremonial or ritual time which were engrave temporarily with the usage of bújè(a plant bearing a round fruit in which the juice is used for tattooing) . So, it is not actually a Yoruba's ethnic mark. Tbere are infimation that posit that Yoruba's civilization dated back thousands of years ago.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 6:04am On Aug 13, 2019
Olu317:
TAO11, there is one thing you need understand about the mark on the ancient Ileife King's ,which was as a result of ceremonial or ritual time which were engrave temporarily with the usage of bújè(a plant bearing a round fruit in which the juice is used for tattooing) . So, it is not actually a Yoruba's ethnic mark. Tbere are infimation that posit that Yoruba's civilization dated back thousands of years ago.

Thanks for your comment bro!

But I must say that you're quite mistaken bro, and I say this with utmost humility.

You've conflated two different historical realities here. One of "vertical line facial markings", and the other of "thick vertical facial lines".

The former (i.e. "vertical line facial markings" ) represents facial "scarification" which is associated with the earlier autochthonous dynastic line of Ife.

The second reality (i.e. "thick vertical facial lines" ) represents "short-term patterns on the skin" made from "blister beetles or leaves ("from the bùjé plant" )".

This second reality is some temporary facial tattoo on certain later individuals who (according to scholars) do this (at certain ritual times) in reference to the earlier practice of facial "scarification" --- a "scarification" practice which came to be forbidden and outlawed for Ife resident members of the earlier autochthonous dynastic line.

Refer to:
Suzanne Preston Blier, "Art in Ancient Ife: Birthplace of the Yoruba", African Arts, Winter 2012, Vol. 45 (4), pp. 75, 76, and 77.

Also, refer to footnote 15 to be rest assured that the "vertical line facial markings" refer to "scarification", unlike the "thick vertical facial line" cited from Willett 1967 which refer to certain temporary tattoo.

Notice, in footnote 15, that although Suzanne P. Blier disagrees with Adepegba 1976 that the "vertical line facial markings" relate to the later Ife dynastic line (instead of the earlier autochthonous Ife dynastic line); they are both unanimous that the "markings" are scarifications.

In fact, the photograph I had sometimes attached in some of my comments here already settles the fact that the "vertical line scarification" is a cultural reality.

Thanks and regards!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 13, 2019
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by Olu317(m): 5:28pm On Aug 13, 2019
TAO11:

Thanks for your comment bro!

But I must say that you're quite mistaken bro, and I say this with utmost humility.

You've conflated two different historical realities here. One of "vertical line facial markings", and the other of "thick vertical facial lines".

The former (i.e. "vertical line facial markings" ) represents facial "scarification" which is associated with the earlier autochthonous dynastic line of Ife.

The second reality (i.e. "thick vertical facial lines" ) represents "short-term patterns on the skin" made from "blister beetles or leaves ("from the bùjé plant" )".

This second reality is some temporary facial tattoo on certain later individuals who (according to scholars) do this (at certain ritual times) in reference to the earlier practice of facial "scarification" --- a "scarification" practice which came to be forbidden and outlawed for Ife resident members of the earlier autochthonous dynastic line.

Refer to:
Suzanne Preston Blier, "Art in Ancient Ife: Birthplace of the Yoruba", African Arts, Winter 2012, Vol. 45 (4), pp. 75, 76, and 77.

Also, refer to footnote 15 to be rest assured that the "vertical line facial markings" refer to "scarification", unlike the "thick vertical facial line" cited from Willett 1967 which refer to certain temporary tattoo.

Notice, in footnote 15, that although Suzanne P. Blier disagrees with Adepegba 1976 that the "vertical line facial markings" relate to the later Ife dynastic line (instead of the earlier autochthonous Ife dynastic line); they are both unanimous that the "markings" are scarifications.

In fact, the photograph I had sometimes attached in some of my comments here already settles the fact that the "vertical line scarification" is a cultural reality.

Thanks and regards!

Interestingly, I am abreast with the book in which you referenced ; Art in Ancient Ife ; ‘The Birth Place of Yoruba'

Suzanne Prester Blier,says, ‘……...ancient Ife terracotta animals identified with Obatala, among these the elephant and duiker antelope heads from the Lafogido site.'

Suzzane says , ‘........….terracotta sculptures of ram and hippopotamus heads from Ife’s Lafogido site. Both animals seem to be connected to the Odudua line and the associated sky deity pantheon of Sango among others (Idowu 1962:94, 142; Matory 1994:96).

My research on her view are:

1. She used her own knowledge to determine how Yoruba ancestor lived in the past, which was wrong.

2. In the same book,she claim Ileife Language is different from other Yoruba language? ¿. How true Sir?

3. She failed to understand that Obatiseala descendants, Odua's and others are associated with elephant,ram and other animals proscribed by Ufa(ifa). These can be seen in both Obatiseala and Odua's descendants panegyric

4. .Besides, both Obatala and Odua also use ram for sacrifice during chieftaincy coronation.

5. Again, it is an insult on Yorubas who understand my ancsestors stance on God as she claim odua is associated with diety of the sun; Sango while Obatala is associated to imólé worship.

6. Interestingly, Ogun Lakaiye is a descendants of Odua and mastery in iron production as well as war prosecution , yet, Obatala descendants are in charge of God of Iron? Why is Obalufon I of 12th century credited with Iron production ?

7. She says' ‘the Florescence Period (Ogundiran’s Classical Period) is distinguished by both roulette- and cord-decorated ceramics. Within a relatively short time span in this period, what I identify as Ife’s High Florescence, most of the early arts appear to have been made. One can date this period to c. 1250–1350 ce based on a range of factors, including the thermoluminescence tests of key metal works and the likely reign era of Obalufon II.'

Are you justifying this fact of pegging iron industrialization of 1250th-1350th c.e , I mean, did these Kings reigned and die prematurely within 100 years ?

8. Suzzane Blier does pay attention to the Opa Oranmian because it is an ivory in shape,which is of elephant. Is oranmian a descendant of Obatiseala?

9. Apart from this , the opa oranmian shows inscription which is of Near East lettering that nulled the view as it regard power tussle been heavily speculated to buttress the nullification of facial marking. In fact have you ever seen any group who claimed to be Yoruba ancestors in the northern Nigeria?

10. Well, Ogun Lakaaiyè existed before Obalufon II and his stone known as Opa Ogun is shape cylindrical bulb in nature ( eye), if you understand what phallic(in shape) mean in archeological world is situated in Ileife old market. Do you actually know what Opa oranmian and Opa Ogun mean?

11. She also claimed this era of the second coming of Obalufon II (1250-1350 c.e ) appears to mark the beginning of the ‘Odudua' dynasty. How true can this be?

In conclusion: one cant use her study on scarification to differentiate the autochthonous in ancient Ufe of Nigeria even if in truth there were disagreement between these two groups because ọ́rá is a binding name to both families. And non outside Yoruba land had knowledge ọ́rá until ọ́rámian appeared in Ogodomigodo.
Re: Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival by TAO11(f): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2019
Olu317:

Interestingly, I am abreast with the book in which you referenced ; Art in Ancient Ife ; ‘The Birth Place of Yoruba'

Suzanne Prester Blier,says, ‘……...ancient Ife terracotta animals identified with Obatala, among these the elephant and duiker antelope heads from the Lafogido site.'

Suzzane says , ‘........….terracotta sculptures of ram and hippopotamus heads from Ife’s Lafogido site. Both animals seem to be connected to the Odudua line and the associated sky deity pantheon of Sango among others (Idowu 1962:94, 142; Matory 1994:96).

My research on her view are:

1. She used her own knowledge to determine how Yoruba ancestor lived in the past, which was wrong.

2. In the same book,she claim Ileife Language is different from other Yoruba language? ¿. How true Sir?

3. She failed to understand that Obatiseala descendants, Odua's and others are associated with elephant,ram and other animals proscribed by Ufa(ifa). These can be seen in both Obatiseala and Odua's descendants panegyric

4. .Besides, both Obatala and Odua also use ram for sacrifice during chieftaincy coronation.

5. Again, it is an insult on Yorubas who understand my ancsestors stance on God as she claim odua is associated with diety of the sun; Sango while Obatala is associated to imólé worship.

6. Interestingly, Ogun Lakaiye is a descendants of Odua and mastery in iron production as well as war prosecution , yet, Obatala descendants are in charge of God of Iron? Why is Obalufon I of 12th century credited with Iron production ?

7. She says' ‘the Florescence Period (Ogundiran’s Classical Period) is distinguished by both roulette- and cord-decorated ceramics. Within a relatively short time span in this period, what I identify as Ife’s High Florescence, most of the early arts appear to have been made. One can date this period to c. 1250–1350 ce based on a range of factors, including the thermoluminescence tests of key metal works and the likely reign era of Obalufon II.'

Are you justifying this fact of pegging iron industrialization of 1250th-1350th c.e , I mean, did these Kings reigned and die prematurely within 100 years ?

8. Suzzane Blier does pay attention to the Opa Oranmian because it is an ivory in shape,which is of elephant. Is oranmian a descendant of Obatiseala?

9. Apart from this , the opa oranmian shows inscription which is of Near East lettering that nulled the view as it regard power tussle been heavily speculated to buttress the nullification of facial marking. In fact have you ever seen any group who claimed to be Yoruba ancestors in the northern Nigeria?

10. Well, Ogun Lakaaiyè existed before Obalufon II and his stone known as Opa Ogun is shape cylindrical bulb in nature ( eye), if you understand what phallic(in shape) mean in archeological world is situated in Ileife old market. Do you actually know what Opa oranmian and Opa Ogun mean?

11. She also claimed this era of the second coming of Obalufon II (1250-1350 c.e ) appears to mark the beginning of the ‘Odudua' dynasty. How true can this be?

In conclusion: one cant use her study on scarification to differentiate the autochthonous in ancient Ufe of Nigeria even if in truth there were disagreement between these two groups because ọ́rá is a binding name to both families. And non outside Yoruba land had knowledge ọ́rá until ọ́rámian appeared in Ogodomigodo.

Smiles! It appears to me that you have other motives than your original contention which you raised when you first 'mentioned' me.

Let me state very clearly that my objective for replying you now is not to debate any issue and every issue just for the sake of debating. No, my objective is to address only the specific issue which you had originally mentioned me on. So, I may not be distracted.

Having said that, if I understand correctly, your original contention was that the "vertical line facial markings" simply represents temporary facial tattoos, and that "vertical line facial markings" were never used as scarification at any time in Ife society.

In reply to your contention, I adduced three strands of independent evidence, each showing that the "vertical line facial markings" does indeed represent scarification; and that the practice later came to be forbidden and outlawed among Ife resident members.

The following are the three strands of independent evidence of scarification I adduced:

(a) Suzanne P. Blier's scholarly submission published in a prestigious peer-reviewed journal (not a book as you presumed) which she gave on the basis of a received corpus of oral traditions from Ife, and not on the basis of her imagination as you've apparently presumed.

(b) Indigenous Adepegba Cornelius O. 1976 which had noted, about thirty-six years before Blier Suzanne P. 2012, that the "vertical line facial markings" represent facial scarifications.

(c) A photograph showing, in black and white, that the vertical line facial scarification is a cultural reality.

My expectation of your reply was that you would demonstrate the following with scholarly evidence:

(a) How Blier's submission on this specific issue (as well as the review of the expert team of African Arts Journal reviewers, on the same specific issue) are all based on nothing but their respective imaginations, rather than based on the received corpus of oral traditions from Ife.

(b) How Adepegba's submission too in this specific regard, which is thirty-six years earlier than Blier's, is also based on nothing but his imagination, rather than on the basis of received corpus of oral traditions from Ife.

(c) And how the attached photograph which clearly shows vertical facial scarification is nothing more than an optical illusion messing with everyone's mind.

(d) After which I expected that you would then adduce scholarly evidence to substantiate your claim that such "vertical line facial markings" were never used as scarification in Ife.

Nay, you didn't do any of the foregoing, but rather you went on to submit your views on other matters (such as opa Oranmiyan, Ife-Yoruba dialect, Ogun Alaka-aiye, etc.) in relation to which you disagree with the renowned leading Havard Professor and Historian of African Art, who in her several years of experience has consulted widely in Ile-Ife on the corpus of Ife traditions, and have directly examined the materials and artefacts first hand --- materials which you probably haven't come any close to, except digitally.

However, whether you think you're right and Suzanne P. Blier, et al. among other experts are all wrong on all these other issues (i.e. opa Oranmiyan, Ife-Yoruba dialect, Ogun Alaka-aiye, etc.) is not what I want to be distracted by, or dragged into; the fallacy of your argument here is what I intend to point out.

You can not maintain that an individual is wrong on a certain specific issue just for the sole reason that you believe they are wrong on some other issues. Such reasoning/argument is a failed one. It is an inductive logical fallacy known in argumentation as faulty generalization or the pars pro toto fallacy.

If after the three strands of independent evidence I have adduced you still maintain that such "vertical line facial markings" were never used as scarification in Ife; then your task, as I have mentioned earlier, is simply to demonstrate:

(a) How Blier's submission on this specific issue (as well as the review of the expert team of African Arts Journal reviewers, on the same specific issue) are all based on nothing but their collective imaginations, rather than based on the received corpus of oral traditions from Ife.

(b) How Adepegba's submission too on this specific issue; which is thirty-six years earlier than Blier's; is also based on nothing but his imagination, rather than on the basis of received corpus of oral traditions from Ife.

(c) How the attached photograph which clearly shows vertical facial scarification is nothing more than an optical illusion messing with everyone's mind.

(d) And to then adduce scholarly evidence to substantiate your claim that such "vertical line facial markings" were never used as scarification in Ife.

Cheers!

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Different South African Tribes / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid / Ooni Ogunwusi Builds New House 'Paraki White House' In Ife (Pics)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 293
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.