Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues (1624 Views)

Why Uju Anya Shouldn't Be Fired By Carnegie Mellon University. / LA County Deputy Sheriff Fired For Having Sex While On Duty (Graphic Audio) / Woman Fired For Flipping Off Donald Trump's Motorcade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:24pm On Jun 10, 2019
'No Australian Should Be Fired for Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Israel Folau Files $10 Million Lawsuit
By Will Maule
Author

June 6, 2019

Australian rugby star Israel Folau has filed a lawsuit after having his multi-million dollar contract terminated because he shared a Bible verse on Instagram.

Australian Rugby Player Israel Folau Could Have Kept His Job if He Deleted Two Words From Bible Post

In a case lodged with Australia's Fair Workplace Commission, an industrial relations tribunal, Folau is reported to be seeking "substantial remedies" for his highly-publicized firing.

"Ours is an amazing country built on important principles, including freedom of religion. A nation made up of so many different faiths and cultural backgrounds will never be truly rich unless this freedom applies to all of us," Folau said in a statement, according to the BBC.

"The messages of support we have received over these difficult few weeks have made me realise there are many Australians who feel their fundamental rights are being steadily eroded."

Folau added that "no Australian of any faith should be fired for practising their religion."

As a result of his Biblical declaration, Folau not only lost his job but was also stripped of key sponsorships with companies such as Landrover and Asics.

"Accordingly, Mr Folau is seeking substantial remedies from his former employers should they be found to have breached the Fair Work Act in terminating his employment," read Israel’s suit.

What did Folau's Instagram post actually say?
The post, which is still live on Folau’s page, declares "WARNING," before listing a number of sins which must be repented of, pending eternal judgment.

Referencing 1 Corinthians 6:9, the graphic lists "Drunks, homosexuals, drunks, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists, idolaters," before imploring "HELL AWAITS YOU," and "REPENT! ONLY JESUS SAVES."

https://www.faithwire.com/2019/06/06/no-australian-should-be-fired-for-practicing-their-religion-rugby-star-israel-folau-files-10-million-lawsuit/

1 Share

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 2:20am On Jun 11, 2019
This is the post!
Should he have been fired?

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by CAPSLOCKED: 7:30am On Jun 11, 2019
OLAADEGBU:
Australian rugby star Israel Folau has filed a lawsuit after having his multi-million dollar contract terminated because he shared a Bible verse on Instagram.

THE PROOF OF WHAT HE SHARED HAS BEEN POSTED ABOVE BY ANOTHER USER, AND THAT IS NOT A BIBLE VERSE.

YOU DON'T TALK TO PEOPLE LIKE THAT. YOU DON'T THREATEN PEOPLE WITH YOUR BELIEFS PUBLICLY. HE IS GOING TO LOSE THE CASE IN COURT, AND ANYWHERE THERE'S AN ASSEMBLY OF SANE MINDS.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 12:07pm On Jun 11, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THE PROOF OF WHAT HE SHARED HAS BEEN POSTED ABOVE BY ANOTHER USER, AND THAT IS NOT A BIBLE VERSE.

YOU DON'T TALK TO PEOPLE LIKE THAT. YOU DON'T THREATEN PEOPLE WITH YOUR BELIEFS PUBLICLY. HE IS GOING TO LOSE THE CASE IN COURT, AND ANYWHERE THERE'S AN ASSEMBLY OF SANE MINDS.
I was very amused at how he conveniently called that "a verse".
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

Have you taken the time to read 1 Corinthians 6:9 and see whether it is different from what he quoted? undecided
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:14pm On Jun 12, 2019
budaatum:

I was very amused at how he conveniently called that "a verse".

Read your Bible before commenting on what you do not know. cool

2 Likes

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 3:20pm On Jun 12, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Read your Bible before commenting on what you do not know. cool
Remember to update us about Rugby Star Israel Folau $10 Million Lawsuit. If he'd read his Bible he might not have been sacked.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:23pm On Jun 12, 2019
budaatum:

Remember to update us about Rugby Star Israel Folau $10 Million Lawsuit. If he'd read his Bible he might not have been sacked.

He quoted 1 Corinthians 6:9. Read to update your bible knowledge. cool
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

He quoted 1 Corinthians 6:9. Read to update your bible knowledge. cool
I wonder why he did not quote the bits about getting sense, or showing love, or removing forests from his own eyes, or being wise.

It's a big book I guess so cherrypicking is in order.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2019
budaatum:

I wonder why he did not quote the bits about getting sense, or showing love, or removing forests from his own eyes, or being wise.

It's a big book I guess so cherrypicking is in order.

At least you now admit that Israel Folau quoted from the Bible. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 1:57pm On Jun 13, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

At least you now admit that Israel Folau quoted from the Bible. cheesy
I admit no such thing! All he did was spew his own warped understanding of what he read in his Bible!
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:01pm On Jun 13, 2019
budaatum:

I admit no such thing! All he did was spew his own warped understanding of what he read in his Bible!

Have you read 1 Corinthians 6:9? What is your understanding of this verse? undecided
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 6:15pm On Jun 13, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Have you read 1 Corinthians 6:9? What is your understanding of this verse? undecided

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men. 1 Corinthians 6:9

Where does it say he should cast stones? Is he that sinless himself that there is no forest in his eyes?
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:52pm On Jun 13, 2019
budaatum:

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men. 1 Corinthians 6:9

Where does it say he should cast stones? Is he that sinless himself that there is no forest in his eyes?

Do you now see where he got the quote from? undecided
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Do you now see where he got the quote from? undecided
I knew where he got the quote from. I'm certain there's quotes that tell him what he should be doing too and they wouldn't be telling him to quote what he quoted.

Anyway, now that he's fired, he can quote as much as he wants so why's he suing?
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Jun 18, 2019
budaatum:

I knew where he got the quote from. I'm certain there's quotes that tell him what he should be doing too and they wouldn't be telling him to quote what he quoted.

Anyway, now that he's fired, he can quote as much as he wants so why's he suing?

The Bible warns, "Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals…will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

It's important to note that "idolaters" seems to be the odd one out. Idolatry (making up a false god) is strangely in a list of what God considers to be sexual sins--fornication, adultery and homosexuality.

But it's there because when we make up a false god, it doesn't tell us what is right or wrong. When we create a god in our image (whether it's an idol made of wood or stone or if we make up an image of God in our minds), that idol doesn't speak, and anything therefore becomes morally permissible--whether it's fornication, adultery, or homosexuality. Idolatry is the doorway to immorality.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 18 June 2014 ·
www.livingwaters.com
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 7:21pm On Jun 18, 2019
It's your topic that got me. "No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion", which is very true, but practise his religion does not include condemning others. In fact, "practise his religion" would be showing compassion, but he obviously did not read that part in his Bible so he's sacked and now has all the time in the world to "practise his religion" however he wants without anyone sacking him.

I really can't see why he's suing. Does he want others to pay him to "practise his religion"?
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 11:00am On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

The Bible warns, "Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals…will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
I agree. The Bible warns the Bible reader all you claim above.

OLAADEGBU:
It's important to note that "idolaters" seems to be the odd one out. Idolatry (making up a false god) is strangely in a list of what God considers to be sexual sins--fornication, adultery and homosexuality.
Irrelevant. Sin is sin. Besides, by Grace. Thank God.

OLAADEGBU:
But it's there because when we make up a false god, it doesn't tell us what is right or wrong. When we create a god in our image (whether it's an idol made of wood or stone or if we make up an image of God in our minds), that idol doesn't speak, and anything therefore becomes morally permissible--whether it's fornication, adultery, or homosexuality. Idolatry is the doorway to immorality.
When who "makes up a false god". The Bible reader?

OLAADEGBU:
Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 18 June 2014

Ray Comfort wrote: “Just because a guy struggles with same-sex desire doesn’t mean God made him gay, any more than a guy struggling with anger means God made him a murderer. You have a choice about what you do with every temptation.”

I agree one has a choice. A friend of mine died in 2016 never been in a relationship nor had sex he never struggled with his homosexuality, he just accepted it and lived a life that fulfilled him. He was 89. I also know people who don't struggle with their homosexuality and just have whatever sex they want.

But if you think of it, the sin isn't exactly the sex, the sin is a lack of discipline, the same indiscipline that drives fornication and those other sins.

Those who wish to spread the word should seriously consider how Jesus advised it be spread, and what the Word to be spread is I dare say, because by placing the sin on the world stage as this individual did, instead of the cure to it, I can't see any word myself.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:17am On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

It's your topic that got me. "No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion", which is very true, but practise his religion does not include condemning others. In fact, "practise his religion" would be showing compassion, but he obviously did not read that part in his Bible so he's sacked and now has all the time in the world to "practise his religion" however he wants without anyone sacking him.

I really can't see why he's suing. Does he want others to pay him to "practise his religion"?

Free speech allows him to practise his religion freely. Preaching the gospel does not mean that he condemns people, sinners are already condemned but preaching the gospel shines the light into darkness and the darkness gets uncomfortable and the sinner has a choice to walk out of darkness into the light.

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:24am On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

I agree. The Bible warns the Bible reader all you claim above.

Irrelevant. Sin is sin. Besides, by Grace. Thank God.

When who "makes up a false god". The Bible reader?

Ray Comfort wrote: “Just because a guy struggles with same-sex desire doesn’t mean God made him gay, any more than a guy struggling with anger means God made him a murderer. You have a choice about what you do with every temptation.”

I agree one has a choice. A friend of mine died in 2016 never been in a relationship nor had sex he never struggled with his homosexuality, he just accepted it and lived a life that fulfilled him. He was 89. I also know people who don't struggle with their homosexuality and just have whatever sex they want.

But if you think of it, the sin isn't exactly the sex, the sin is a lack of discipline, the same indiscipline that drives fornication and those other sins.

Those who wish to spread the word should seriously consider how Jesus advised it be spread, and what the Word to be spread is I dare say, because by placing the sin on the world stage as this individual did, instead of the cure to it, I can't see any word myself.

Idolatry is the doorway to immorality.

1 Share

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 11:26am On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Free speech allows him to practise his religion freely. Preaching the gospel does not mean that he condemns people, sinners are already condemned but preaching the gospel shines the light into darkness and the darkness gets uncomfortable and the sinner has a choice to walk out of darkness into the light.
His employer disagreed. And they gave him his freedom. And considering all sports are trying really hard the world over to eliminate the fear or condemnation of homosexuals, I'm glad they've freed him to go and enjoy his new job of "practise his religion freely" and "preaching the gospel"!

Why is he suing them? Does he not like his freedom anymore?
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:32am On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

His employer disagreed. And they gave him his freedom. And considering all sports are trying really hard the world over to eliminate the fear or condemnation of homosexuals, I'm glad they've freed him to go and enjoy his new job of "practise his religion freely" and "preaching the gospel"!

Why is he suing them? Does he not like his freedom anymore?

Was it only homosexuality that was quoted in that verse? Why do you all get hot under the collar when homosexuality is mentioned amongst other sins? You lot should rather campaign or lobby for the banning of the Bible at least NZ has taken the first step in doing so in their parliament.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 11:44am On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Was it only homosexuality that was quoted in that verse? Why do you all get hot under the collar when homosexuality is mentioned amongst other sins? You lot should rather campaign or lobby for the banning of the Bible at least NZ has taken the first step in doing so in their parliament.
The reason is homosexuals are being attacked in the street and we don't like it. We never see you attacking those other 'sinners' in the street, and if we do we will tell you off for it too.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:48pm On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

The reason is homosexuals are being attacked in the street and we don't like it. We never see you attacking those other 'sinners' in the street, and if we do we will tell you off for it too.

And what gives you the impression that Christians are the ones assaulting them? Where were you when Christians get persecuted and murdered for exercising their freedom of speech? I am sure if you are not among them you will be one of those egging them on to be assaulted. undecided

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

And what gives you the impression that Christians are the ones assaulting them? Where were you when Christians get persecuted and murdered for exercising their freedom of speech? I am sure if you are not among them you will be one of those egging them on to be assaulted. undecided

I don't egg on the persecution of anybody Degbu, you have been around long enough to know that by now and the fact that Christians are persecuted is not a reason to persecute. Christians are the only ones I see assaulting gay people on the pulpits. There was a police pastor recently preaching they should be killed and left right and centre are threads by Christians condemning them. You don't condemn murderers as much as you condemn gays and Muslims and JWs.

When Christians are persecuted they should delight in it and even present themselves to be persecuted some more unless the persecution is justified by when they should repent and turn from their sinful ways and not be the first to persecute as some do.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

I don't egg on the persecution of anybody Degbu, you have been around long enough to know that by now and the fact that Christians are persecuted is not a reason to persecute. Christians are the only ones I see assaulting gay people on the pulpits. There was a police pastor recently preaching they should be killed and left right and centre are threads by Christians condemning them. You don't condemn murderers as much as you condemn gays and Muslims and JWs.

When Christians are persecuted they should delight in it and even present themselves to be persecuted some more unless the persecution is justified by when they should repent and turn from their sinful ways and not be the first to persecute as some do.

Christians neither persecute nor condemn anybody. The Moral law of God says that sinners are already condemned. What Christians do is offer the good news of redemption through our Lord Jesus Christ who has already paid the eternal penalty for our sins. It is up to you whether you take up the offer or not.

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 5:34pm On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Christians neither persecute nor condemn anybody. The Moral law of God says that sinners are already condemned. What Christians do is offer the good news of redemption through our Lord Jesus Christ who has already paid the eternal penalty for our sins. It is up to you whether you take up the offer or not.
How do you "offer the good news of redemption through our Lord Jesus Christ"?

Have you got and threads where you do that?
Post some links lets see.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:09pm On Jun 19, 2019
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

See a few links from the last four pages.
So you are a preacher of repentance who goes about telling people to repent and that is your "good news of redemption through our Lord Jesus Christ".

I can see why your focus is on the sins of others.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:31pm On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

So you are a preacher of repentance who goes about telling people to repent and that is your "good news of redemption through our Lord Jesus Christ".

I can see why your focus is on the sins of others.

"From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 4:17).

Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by budaatum: 6:34pm On Jun 19, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

"From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 4:17).

OLAADEGBU THE DOOMSDAY PREACHER

Peace of the Lord is with you.
Re: 'No Australian Should Be Fired For Practicing Their Religion': Rugby Star Sues by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2019
budaatum:

OLAADEGBU THE DOOMSDAY PREACHER

Peace of the Lord is with you.

The crux of the matter. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Donald Trump Declares That Iran Will Never Have A Nuclear Weapon (photo) / Ted Cruz Defeats Donald Trump In Iowa Primary,Hillary In Close Race With Sanders / Watch Obama Shouting At Bill Clinton Recently On Air Force One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.