Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,395 members, 7,836,587 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? (4098 Views)

Creation Story: Evolution Or Adam And Eve? / Do You Subscribe To The Doctrine Of Trinity? If "Yes", Take This Challenge! / Survey: Do You Believe In Evolution Or Creationism? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 6:53am On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

You tell someone that bible may not be true for them but it true for you but do not see the irony of saying a person in your position may be hallucinating? Wow!
Or seeing what you are blind to!

The fact that a community of blind people cannot differentiate between colours doesn't mean colours don't exist.

It's all about your senses and perceptions: are your receptors functioning OK?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 8:04am On Jun 17, 2019
hakeem4:
well I hope your evolution by jesusjnr theory will come with evidence
Dude, when you are discussing the conceptual or logical possibility of something, there is no physical evidence required only a logical validity of the point is required to make the argument.

When someone says: Evolution is compatible with design.

This is a subject to logical proof in the discussion because it deals with ideas "evolution" and "intelligent design"

Seems like you like using the word "evidence" a lot even where it is not necessary.

And yes, one can easily prove that evolution is compatible with design.

Take a look at a car

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 9:37am On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

The fact that a community of blind people cannot differentiate between colours doesn't mean colours don't exist.

Which of yours do you use to sense your god?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 9:51am On Jun 17, 2019
johnydon22:
Dude, when you are discussing the conceptual or logical possibility of something, there is no physical evidence required only a logical validity of the point is required to make the argument.

When someone says: Evolution is compatible with design.

This is a subject to logical proof in the discussion because it deals with ideas "evolution" and "intelligent design"

Seems like you like using the word "evidence" a lot even where it is not necessary.

And yes, one can easily prove that evolution is compatible with design.

Take a look at a car
calm down and listen. Evolution by natural selection and intelligent design are not compatible.

Natural selection is the process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring.

Intelligent design the theory that life, or the universe, cannot have arisen by chance and was designed and created by some intelligent entity.

Evolution by Natural selection never claimed it was the origin of life or so. It was abiogenesis that claimed to know the origin of life on how life can arise from non living matter.

Yes ID Is compatible with evolution by artificial selection . But not with natural selection

Logical argument can never be used to prove what’s true or not. The purported logic is to make deductions.

If 1 boy has two eyes
Then 2 boys have four eyes.

I can use this false analogy argument

These cars are complex
They require an ID

the human eye is complex
It requires an. ID

the cars are complex
It was made in 2007

Human eye is complex
it was made in 2007

We do not know if it’s true or not. You need evidence to show what’s true or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 9:52am On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

so let’s conclude that you use a part of your sense to perceive god ?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 9:53am On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

Which of yours do you use to sense your god?
The same you use to sense your god!

shadeyinka:

I don't have a god!
I have a God!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 9:55am On Jun 17, 2019
hakeem4:
so let’s conclude that you use a part of your sense to perceive god ?
I don't have a god!
I have a God!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 9:58am On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

I don't have a god!
I have a God!
okay so how do you sense that God?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 10:04am On Jun 17, 2019
hakeem4:
okay so how do you sense that God?
Better!
By using my Spiritual sense!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 10:08am On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

Better!
By using my Spiritual sense!

grin do you actually think this thread is for jokers?

You don’t expect me to believe this.

This is untestable. You can claim to be the son of Jesus. But there’s is no way we can get Jesus’s DNA, so we can match it with yours to test the authenticity of your claim.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 10:59am On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

The same you use to sense your god!

I don't have god hallucinations.

shadeyinka:

I don't have a god!
I have a God!

Is god a name?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2019
hakeem4:
calm down and listen. Evolution by natural selection and intelligent design are not compatible.

Natural selection is the process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring.

Intelligent design the theory that life, or the universe, cannot have arisen by chance and was designed and created by some intelligent entity.

Evolution by Natural selection never claimed it was the origin of life or so. It was abiogenesis that claimed to know the origin of life on how life can arise from non living matter.

Yes ID Is compatible with evolution by artificial selection . But not with natural selection

Logical argument can never be used to prove what’s true or not. The purported logic is to make deductions.

If 1 boy has two eyes
Then 2 boys have four eyes.

I can use this false analogy argument

These cars are complex
They require an ID

the human eye is complex
It requires an. ID

the cars are complex
It was made in 2007

Human eye is complex
it was made in 2007

We do not know if it’s true or not. You need evidence to show what’s true or not.
Alright then, let me tell you how even natural selection can be compatible with design.

Have you considered the scenario where this designer instead of personally making modifications to his designs imbued in them the ability to modify and adapt in relation to their ecosystem?

Hence, adaptability of organisms along the line to survive and thrive (natural selection) is a model by design of the designer?

Just as we are trying to do with A.I. create programs that learn and evolve.

See? How logically, natural selection can still be compatible with design?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by TV01(m): 12:50pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

Gen 1:1-3:
1. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

In the beginning is a time in the past when God created the heavens and the earth. No one knows when this beginning was as a scientist, one can speculate the beginning as the time of the Big bang.

2. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters.

This was the state of the earth at this point. Some theologians speculate that something dreadful happened to submerge the earth (which was created from the beginning) in both water and darkness. No one is sure of what really happened: but it is assumed that the fall of Lucifer threw the world into the great darkness.

No one knows the interval of time before verse 1 and 2 of Genesis 1:

3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

This marks the beginning of the 6000 years in question. If you like , call it a recreation of the earth. Light (not the Sun) was the first creation in this sense.

Hi Shadeyinka

Genesis 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The biblical record is clear; God brought forth the whole of creation - including mankind - in 6 days roughly 6'000 years ago. The genealogy from Adam to Christ is confirmation of that fact.

TV
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 12:52pm On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

I don't have god hallucinations.

Is god a name?
It isn't! ?*?!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:07pm On Jun 17, 2019
TV01:

Hi Shadeyinka

Genesis 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The biblical record is clear; God brought forth the whole of creation - including mankind - in 6 days roughly 6'000 years ago. The genealogy from Adam to Christ is confirmation of that fact.

TV
Very clear: "the beginning" is always relative to a point of reference.

The narrative in Genesis is very clear.
With reference to creation:
In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth
Something was described as the state of the earth (it was without form and void)

Note that every other thing was created before human beings: hence "the beginning " Mark was referencing was the beginning of "MARRIAGE"/ Union of a man and woman.

In Exodus, the reference was the earth and it's environment which include the Stars and the space containing them referred to as heavens.
Gen 1:16-17:
"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,"
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by TV01(m): 1:28pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:
Note that every other thing was created before human beings: hence "the beginning " Mark was referencing was the beginning of "MARRIAGE"/ Union of a man and woman.
The verse from Mark clearly states the "beginning of creation".

Cheers
TV
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 1:32pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

It isn't! ?*?!

No, it isn't.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 1:33pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

It isn't! ?*?!

It's not a specific name for a particular deity
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:33pm On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

No, it isn't.
You got your kind of answer didn't you?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2019
TV01:
The verse from Mark clearly states the "beginning of creation".

Cheers
TV
In other words
Mark 10:6:
"But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

Means that God made them male and female before He even created the heavens and the earth?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by TV01(m): 1:40pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

In other words
Mark 10:6:
"But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

Means that God made them male and female before He even created the heavens and the earth?
...like before the beginning
...or God made them before He created them

TV
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:40pm On Jun 17, 2019
johnydon22:

It's not a specific name for a particular deity
God is a descriptive title and noun just like the "President!" or "the Leader" etc

If I am in America and I said "the President said..": everyone know that I am refering to Donald Trump. In Nigeria however if I make the same statement, everyone know that I refer to Muhammadu Buhari.
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:45pm On Jun 17, 2019
TV01:

...like before the beginning
...or God made them before He created them

TV
That's your interpretation: and you know it doesn't make sense!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 1:47pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

You got your kind of answer didn't you?

What has that to do with the subject matter?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 1:49pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

God is a descriptive title and noun just like the "President!" or "the Leader" etc

If I am in America and I said "the President said..": everyone know that I am refering to Donald Trump. In Nigeria however if I make the same statement, everyone know that I refer to Muhammadu Buhari.

And if I wrote my president, you'll say I am not talking of the president of Nigeria?
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 1:49pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

Correct

1 Like

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by budaatum: 1:53pm On Jun 17, 2019
johnydon22:
Alright then, let me tell you how even natural selection can be compatible with design.

Have you considered the scenario where this designer instead of personally making modifications to his designs imbued in them the ability to modify and adapt in relation to their ecosystem?

Hence, adaptability of organisms along the line to survive and thrive (natural selection) is a model by design of the designer?

Just as we are trying to do with A.I. create programs that learn and evolve.

See? How logically, natural selection can still be compatible with design?
One might argue that you've described 'artificial selection', and not natural selection, and if the designer were a human being we'd call it 'human selection', and not selection by nature nor by gods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:57pm On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

What has that to do with the subject matter?
You started it: hence you get the kids Nd of answers you deserve!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 1:59pm On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

And if I wrote my president, you'll say I am not talking of the president of Nigeria?
Anyone can claim his own president.
Atiku is referred to by some as "my president"!

Next time, Let's know who you refer to when you speak!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 2:01pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

Anyone can claim his own president.
Atiku is referred to by some as "my president"!

Next time, Let's know who you refer to when you speak!

HAHAHAHA, I was waiting for the intellectual dishonesty and I got it.

EDIT:

President
President follows the same capitalization rules as other titles. A title is the name that describes a person’s position, rank, office, or job. You should only capitalize titles when they come directly before a person’s name, as in “President Abraham Lincoln.”

https://www.dictionary.com/e/when-do-you-capitalize-president/
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 2:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:

You started it: hence you get the kids Nd of answers you deserve!

LoL, so diversion is how adults answer? Incredible. LMAO.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Were Is The Church Of Satan Located In Lagos / Hopefullandlord And Co, I Need You Guys Take On This Issue. / Nigerian Pastor Beat World Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.