Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,414 members, 7,836,661 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? (4099 Views)

Creation Story: Evolution Or Adam And Eve? / Do You Subscribe To The Doctrine Of Trinity? If "Yes", Take This Challenge! / Survey: Do You Believe In Evolution Or Creationism? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by TV01(m): 2:04pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadeyinka:
That's your interpretation: and you know it doesn't make sense!
That's my interpretation of what you appear to be saying. So I could be wrong. Please help me by explaining how

Mark 10:6:
"But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

Translates to

Means that God made them male and female before He even created the heavens and the earth

And not, as it plainly states, at the beginning, i.e. the 6 day creation event

Thanks
TV
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by johnydon22(m): 2:12pm On Jun 17, 2019
budaatum:

One might argue that you've described 'artificial selection', and not natural selection, and if the designer were a human being we'd call it 'human selection', and not selection by nature nor by gods.

Not really artificial selection, artificial selection deals with an external selection agent.

Natural selection is inherent.

So, if organisms are inherently designed to by themselves adapt, evolve to survive then it is as much natural as they are designed to grow.

Moreover, argument of design encompasses that nature itself is a designed model.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 2:14pm On Jun 17, 2019
TV01:

That's my interpretation of what you appear to be saying. So I could be wrong. Please help me by explaining how

Mark 10:6:
"But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

Translates to

Means that God made them male and female before He even created the heavens and the earth

And not, as it plainly states, at the beginning, i.e. the 6 day creation event

Thanks
TV

I have explained it: except you are autistic!
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by shadeyinka(m): 2:15pm On Jun 17, 2019
LordReed:

HAHAHAHA, I was waiting for the intellectual dishonesty and I got it.

EDIT:

President
President follows the same capitalization rules as other titles. A title is the name that describes a person’s position, rank, office, or job. You should only capitalize titles when they come directly before a person’s name, as in “President Abraham Lincoln.”

https://www.dictionary.com/e/when-do-you-capitalize-president/
My error!
Not intentionally done!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by budaatum: 2:29pm On Jun 17, 2019
johnydon22:

Not really artificial selection, artificial selection deals with an external selection agent.

So, if organisms are inherently designed to by themselves adapt, evolve to survive then it is as much natural as they are designed to grow.

Moreover, argument of design encompasses that nature itself is a designed model.
You describe a natural organism here but that's not the impression I got from your previous.

The impression I had was of an "organism" that's closer aligned with a human invention like software that has been imbued with the ability to self evolve.

I must have wrongly inferred.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by LordReed(m): 2:36pm On Jun 17, 2019
johnydon22:

One of my hang ups with the idea is how then do you have any useful distinction?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hakeem4(m): 10:02pm On Jun 17, 2019
johnydon22:
Alright then, let me tell you how even natural selection can be compatible with design.

Have you considered the scenario where this designer instead of personally making modifications to his designs imbued in them the ability to modify and adapt in relation to their ecosystem?

Hence, adaptability of organisms along the line to survive and thrive (natural selection) is a model by design of the designer?

Just as we are trying to do with A.I. create programs that learn and evolve.

See? How logically, natural selection can still be compatible with design?
well an ID might have started the first life but there’s not evidence for it. Evolution by natural selection has never been been debated if it’s right or wrong amongst scientist.

Well this should be a debate for philosophers and the religious ones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by CoolUsername: 12:13am On Jun 18, 2019
Let me take a stab at this.

Evolution is actually a scientific fact at this point with natural selection being the theory that explains the diversity of species.

Let's start with the definition, from Wikipedia: evolution is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.
This is not a theory, this is an undisputable fact. You are slightly genetically different from your parents, who are slightly different from theirs and so on.

Evolution by natural selection is the leading theory that tries to explain the mechanism of evolution on a populational scale.

I can talk about the geological fossil index, or the perceived imperfections in the human body but those are too general and mostly serve to contribute to arguments against creationism.

So, I want to point you to specific evidence like:

1. Galapagos Islands Finches: This looks at how isolated populations of finches adapted to food available in the ecosystem by evolving different beak sizes and shapes.

https://explorable.com/darwins-finches.

2. Pod Mrcraru Lizard Experiment: A 36 year study that shows how a population of lizards introduced into a new habitat shifted from a primarily insectivorous diet to a primarily herbivorous diet. Exhibiting changes in jaw structure, bite strength, and their digestive systems.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290806/

3. Red Fox Domestication: This experiment shows how foxes that were selectively bred for behavioural traits that indicate tameness (such as not fleeing from
humans, or biting), also developed seemingly unrelated dog-like traits such as standing tail, biennial heat period, skull structure, etc. Today, the foxes are indistinguishable from dogs in terms of behaviour, they bark at, sniff, and even lick humans just like dogs do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_red_fox

It is looking at evidence like this in view of the more general evidence I first mentioned that makes me confident that evolution by natural selection is true.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by liberalchick(f): 2:12am On Jun 18, 2019
Are you Nigerian? Evolution is part of the school curriculum. It’s compulsory.
CAPSLOCKED:
I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT EVOLUTION. NEVER READ MORE THAN TWO LINES ABOUT IT.
BUT HOW CAN A DESIGNER BE CALLED PERFECT WHEN IT'S DESIGNS ARE ALL AWFUL, FLAWED, AND SEEM LIKE THEY EMERGED OUT OF RANDOM CHANCE?

HAKEEM4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by budaatum: 2:42am On Jun 18, 2019
liberalchick:
Are you Nigerian? Evolution is part of the school curriculum. It’s compulsory.
It might not have been when he went to old school.
cheesy
Re: Evolution Or Design? Why Do You Subscribe To Either? by hayoholla(m): 3:58pm On Jun 21, 2019
johnydon22:

makes perfect sense, if we are to consider recent developments in AI technology. a design must not always be dependant on an ID for evolution, survival and adaptation. if humans can strive to seek for perfection in creating a system like AI for adaptation and self dependency of a system with little or no interference from the creator, isn't the same. logically plausible for an ID. This is no way an argument for the existence of a creator God according to the gospel according to religion

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Pastor Beat World Record / Why Do People Clap For Men Of God When They Are Preaching? / Rccg July Holy Ghost Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.