Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Translating 'Allah' As 'God' - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Translating 'Allah' As 'God' (14430 Views)

Ruling On Describing A Professional Player As “god” Or “godlike” / Maidah, 73… Allah As Only Supreme Being (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by baio: 12:48pm On Jun 21, 2019
sino:

God, the Most Beautiful Word in English

The English word “God” is a unique linguistic and theological treasure. It is pre-historic, extending into the Neolithic period and deriving from the proto-Indo- European root gheu (∂), meaning “to invoke” or “to supplicate.” “God” is a past participial construction, meaning “the one who is invoked” or “the one who is called upon.” Like Sanskrit, Persian, Urdu, and most of the European languages, English belongs to the Indo-European family. Our word “God”—proto- Indo-European Ghuto—corresponds linguistically to the Sanskrit past participle hūta (“invoked” or “called upon”), which appears in the Indic Vedas in the divine epithet puruhūta (“much invoked”). Etymologically, “God”—“the one who is invoked in prayer”—is remarkably close in meaning to the Biblical Elo¯ hîm and Alāhā and the Qur’anic Allah, which, as we have seen, convey the sense of “the one who is worshipped.” “God” is also virtually identical in connotation to the Native American Lenape word for the Supreme Being “You to whom we pray.” Supplication and worship are closely interrelated. The Prophet said in a well-known Tradition: “Supplication is the essence of worship.”

The English word “God” in its present form is ancient and pre-Christian, having no hidden or implicit link with Trinitarian theology. Its earliest documented historical use is in the poem Beowulf, the oldest poem in the English language and the earliest European vernacular epic. Beowulf relates pre-Christian events from the early sixth century, a generation or so before the birth of the Prophet Muhammad. Western scholars often find Beowulf paradoxical, because it lacks distinctive Christian references but speaks constantly of God’s grandeur, taking every occasion to praise God and give him thanks. “God” in its present form is the most common word for the Creator in the epic, but the poem also contains scores of other magnificent divine names, which are so deeply embedded in its fabric that they cannot have been interpolated later by medieval monks. Although Beowulf refers to the creation, Adam, Noah, the Flood, the resurrection, judgment, heaven and hell, it contains no references to Mosaic or post-Mosaic Biblical events or to Christ, the crucifixion, Trinitarian dogma, saints, relics, or similar elements that one would expect to find, if there had been any subsequent medieval editing. The poem declares God’s oneness explicitly and extols his wise and merciful governance of the world and its people; it rejects and ridicules paganism as the work of the devil, and the epic’s hero, Beowulf—a brave and mighty but truly humble man of God—engages in constant combat with the diabolical forces of evil and destruction. Not just in its many words for God but in general, the religious vocabulary of Beowulf expresses with exactitude the crux of the spiritual and theological vision which Muslims find so precisely expressed in the Arabic language. Beowulf is a testimony to the English language’s unique richness and should inspire us, as English-speaking Muslims, with a deeper respect for our language and its inherent power to express not only our concept of the divine but the entire repertoire of primordial prophetic teaching."

Source: Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah, One God Many Names, (Nawawi Foundation Paper, 2004)

this should be the perfect answer to the question
Because here we translate the quote as 'there is no diety of worship except Allah'

1 Like

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by ArchAngelos999: 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2019
Afospecialk:

That mean you do not know anything about your God

Go and read your bibles and you will see where God order for war

There is so much war and violence sanctioned by Yahweh.

For example, Deuteronomy 20 contains Yahweh’s instructions about war. If a city does not accept Israel’s offer of peace and open its gates, then “when the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it” (verse13). With regard to other cities, the command is (verse 16), “Do not leave anything that breathes

You probably also recall that the walls of Jericho came tumbling down, and then the Israelites “destroyed with the sword every living thing in it – men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, and donkeys” (Joshua 6:21). This certainly seems brutal and vindictive, doesn’t it?

Or consider Joshua 11:20, “For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.”

While the prophet Ezekiel does not spare the wicked in his denunciations, he also records Yahweh’s words of grace:

Moral: Do not think you know more than God by trying to fight for Him. All those prophets who fought wars only act on what God instructed them and no one can query God on that

Only extremists call castigate others bcs of their religious point of view

it wasn't Yahweh who told the people of old to fight. The prophets of old were being facilitated by angels and could hardly ever tell the difference between God and angels. the character of God is seen only in Jesus Christ. Jesus is the clear description of God.

think about it, why would God cause people to be killed? that's what satan does.

John 10:10, it is the their
thief, satan that kills and destroy. God gives life
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by tintingz(m): 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2019
OtemAtum:

When God Almighty sent Allah, Yahweh, Chaleb, Moloch, Vishnu, Chimides, Olorun, Chukwu, Nyame, Enlil etc into the universes billions of years ago, it didn't send them for the purpose of turning the universes to places where they are occupied with worshipping itself or any of these its offsprings I mentioned above, rather God Almighty told them to go and explore the universes. Now what the gods of science are trying to achieve is to bring back humanity into full science, whereby we can discover more of the Nature of God Almighty. Religion doesn't lead to God Almighty, the totality of existence, rather, it leads to each of the gods. For example, Zoroastrianism leads to the worship of Ahura Mazda, Islam leads to the worship of Abd Allah(aka Allah), Christianity and Judaism lead to the worship of Yahweh+fictitious Jesus and Yahweh respectively. Hinduism leads to the worship of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma. But using scientific method helps to discover the nature of Existence and God Almighty is the TOTALITY OF EXISTENCE.
You said that nothing can be perfect with man, yes, this is because the knowledge of God Almighty (Totality of Existence) is immeasurable and unquantifiable. Therefore human beings from generation to generation will keep discovering and rediscovering the ever-dynamic God Almighty, unlike the ever-static(unchanging) Yahweh and Allah, the puny gods majority of humans now worship.

The universal rule is:
1. Use your brain
2. Worship no god(or God Almighty)
3. Do good to humanity.

Once you can meet up with these standards, then you are fulfilling the universal rule of this NEW AGE. Peace.
I like this revelation.

May almighty Otem forgive us and forgive the gods(Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu, Eledumare and co).

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 21, 2019
OtemAtum:
How did you know that I accepted to be a Muslim before posting? How did you know that I believe in Allah?

What I posted is backed up by the thummims(prophecies) found in the BOOK OF UNIVERSAL HISTORY. This same book is one which reveals how God Almighty created Allah your god.

I am not an illiterate. As a matter of fact, I have been able to understand more than 300 ancient languages by revelation. I can speak many extinct language, including the Seriot Language which all gods of the past world preferred in those days. I can even tell you Allah's preferred quotation in the Seriot Language if you care to know.

"Al pesh wooshiere yim wuyum trish årevizz".

Translation: "I love violence more than anything in the world"

This is the reason why Violence can never depart from Islam, the religion of Allah. cool

Now, you just display your madness... pls show us the book, the picture of the cover, the pages it was written.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by ArchAngelos999: 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
Rashduct4luv:
Question:

I have been in a discussion with two friends about the name of Allah. Both said that the meaning of La Ilaha Illa Allah is there is no god but GOD. So they translated Allah in God. They also went on saying that Allah is an Arabic name and the translation into other languages is sinful and not allowed. They insisted that Allah should be translated into God and not Allah. In attempt to react on this to the best of my Islamic knowledge though am not a scholar at all I said that in the Qur'an many verses are telling us that God's name is Allah for example Bismillah Arrahmani Arrahiim translating into In the Name of Allah (not the name of God) the Most beneficent, the Most Merciful most and that Allah knows best. They rejected this and said how come you translated the last two words but not the first. So I said referring to them a verse saying: ask the scholars if you don't know. Here I ask you for an elaboration on this so that further misconception can be avoided.

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) is His slave and Messenger.

The Name "Allaah" can be translated as 'God' for new Muslims who do not know Arabic language, just as we translate for them the meanings of the Quran and Ahadeeth in order to teach them the religion of Islam.
As for translating the name "Allaah" with 'God' while translating the meaning of the Quran or Hadeeth or books of Islamic knowledge, we do not think that this is permissible. Rather, it is an obligation to leave the name of Allaah in its original form as it is pronounced "Allaah". This is because, the name Allaah is the proper name of our Lord, Allaah. Besides, the Name Allaah demonstrates all His other Beautiful Names. Allaah Says (what means): {And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do.}[Quran 7:180].
Moreover, the Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam(may Allaah exalt his mention) said: "Indeed, Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one; and he who memorizes them all by heart (and acts upon their implications) will enter Paradise." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
The name "Allaah" is different from the word "God" which only means a deity and does not in any way indicate deeming Allaah far from being likened to false deities that are worshiped besides Him. The proper meaning of Laa Ilaaha Illa Allaah, is: "There is no deity worthy of being worshiped except Allaah".

Allaah Knows best.

Source

cc: Sissie, mukina2 The proper meaning of Laa Ilaaha Illa Allaah, is: "There is no deity worthy of being worshiped except Allaah" not ".... there is no god/God but Allah

you had to do a lot of gymnastics to explain away the obvious. Arabic is a human language that evolved from Hebrew as Ishmel or Ismail got sent away with his mother Hagar. Therefore, arabic has borrowed words almost identical to Old Hebrew. Allah is one of those words. it was evolved from El-oah which simply means deity. Just like Yosef-Yusuf, Moseh-Musa, Abraham-Ibrahim.

Allah is El-oah. Allah means deity. If u follow the language you can see it.

to argue otherwise is to say Ibrahim is not Abraham, Yusuf is not Yosef or Musa is not Moses.

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Afospecialk: 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
OtemAtum:
How did you know that I accepted to be a Muslim before posting? How did you know that I believe in Allah?

What I posted is backed up by the thummims(prophecies) found in the BOOK OF UNIVERSAL HISTORY. This same book is one which reveals how God Almighty created Allah your god.

I am not an illiterate. As a matter of fact, I have been able to understand more than 300 ancient languages by revelation. I can speak many extinct language, including the Seriot Language which all gods of the past world preferred in those days. I can even tell you Allah's preferred quotation in the Seriot Language if you care to know.

"Al pesh wooshiere yim wuyum trish årevizz".

Translation: "I love violence more than anything in the world"

This is the reason why Violence can never depart from Islam, the religion of Allah. cool

Does your book of history consist details of how Allah conquer his enemies starting with just only 1 person to over 1 billions of populations that now practices islam across the world ?

Do you ever take time to reflect on what over 1 billion populations who are practicing Islam today see before accepting Islam ?

Is it by violence all the countries across the world accept Islam ?

Is it by violence just only 7 number of people who first accept Islam defeated millions of warriors all across the world before they finally accept Islam ?

(Allah is beyond human being imagination bcs he is the only creator of all creatures including angels nd all prophets, the one without beginning nd end, He begets not, nor was he begotten and the only ruling judge of the day of recompense)

Anything above these, yu ar free to define Allah to suits your subconscious conceptual inclination

You dont claim to know Allah more than the people that practice Islam
Basic

2 Likes

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Kokoebapluse(m): 1:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
OtemAtum:
Did you see me mention that Yahweh is God Almighty? As a matter of fact, Yahweh is not even up to 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of God Almighty in power, energy or extent, same as Allah.
God Almighty is beyond anything human beings have ever worshipped. God Almighty is the totality of existence. It is the source of all these puny gods you humans have ever worshipped and the best way to understand God Almighty is through science rather than religion.

Ok I come to understand you now. But Almighty God can be only worship in Islam other way is astray
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Afospecialk: 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2019
ArchAngelos999:

you had to do a lot of gymnastics to explain away the obvious. Arabic is a human language that evolved from Hebrew as Ishmel or Ismail got sent away with his mother Hagar. Therefore, arabic has borrowed words almost identical to Old Hebrew. Allah is one of those words. it was evolved from El-oah which simply means deity. Just like Yosef-Yusuf, Moseh-Musa, Abraham-Ibrahim.

to argue otherwise is to say Ibrahim is not Abraham, Yusuf is not Yosef or Musa is not Moses.

The problem with mediocrities like yu is that yu always believe yu knw it all

Those who ar brainwashing yu to find faults in other religions wouldnt open ur eyes to see the faults or encourage yu to perfect ur own religion

Yu ar free to translate Allah to ur deity, or idol, ur enemy, even as ur hell

As for Muslim we all knw what Allah mean to us without the help of any translator or dictionary
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by ArchAngelos999: 2:27pm On Jun 21, 2019
Afospecialk:

The problem with mediocrities like yu is that yu always believe yu knw it all

Those who ar brainwashing yu to find faults in other religions wouldnt open ur eyes to see the faults or encourage yu to perfect ur own religion

Yu ar free to translate Allah to ur deity, or idol, ur enemy, even as ur hell

As for Muslim we all knw what Allah mean to us without the help of any translator or dictionary

Ogbeni you are wrong about a lot of things. you chose to insult me rather than address my facts. i don't remember calling you names.

i didn't even say islam has faults, you are the one saying that, it seems you were primed to insult people with contrary opinions.

you say Muslims know what Allah means without dictionary the op disproved it, he won't have had a question in the first place.

El-oah/Allah/deity

don't be deceived
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:37pm On Jun 21, 2019
ArchAngelos999:

Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Tigrinya, Amharic, Tigre and Maltese are examples of semitic languages.

In order of decreasing world speakers:

Arabic 300M
Amharic 22M
Tigrinya 7m
Hebrew About 5M
Tigre 1.05M
Aramaic btw 575k - 1M
Maltese 483k

I don't know how people stopped speaking Hebrew and evolved to Arabic. But i agree that these languages share a similar origin.

The names are same in those languages.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:41pm On Jun 21, 2019
tintingz:
Allah is Arabia deity that want people to face the Kaaba to worship him even during pre-islamic era, Elohim is a Hebrew deity that's worship in synagogue by the jews.

El, Yahweh, Jehovah are Cannanites/Jewish gods.

Broda Taiwo, (Please don't use your atheist brain)

Who created Adam and all humans?

Options A. Allah B. Yahweh C. Elohim D. God/Olohun E. All of the above
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:44pm On Jun 21, 2019
Predstan:

I don’t understand why you can’t argue with him intellectually but resort to these words... is this not how Religion was imposed on Us?? If you think he’s saying Rubbish, just write your counter and explain your religion

He has a precedent in the section. He came here to abuse Allah and he has open a thread on that. He wont listen to anything.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:50pm On Jun 21, 2019
Sterope:
When a Christian Arab writes in his mother tongue, how would you know he isn't a Muslim if he uses the word Allah.

Do you also think it is right to deprive natives of their word because it doesn't sit well with your interpretation?

I agree with you on this. To the layman and new Muslims you may use any name for Allah in their language. But as they learn more of Tawheed and Attributes of Allah....it will become more imperative to use Allah all the time.

A Christian Arab will use Allah and then ascribe son and third party to Him. We know He is free of all these.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Empiree: 2:53pm On Jun 21, 2019
tintingz:

Why do you have problem with his scriptures?

Didn't your book(Quran) also speak nonsense about other Gods?

His scriptures is true as you see yours as true. Don't think yours is superior!
the problem with atheist is that they don't know right from wrong, good from bad, righteousness and evil etc.

What else would you say when you believe SFM(Spaghetti Flying Monster) is your god. You posted trash so for cheap popularity but deep down you know you are deceiving yourself.

1 Like

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Predstan: 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

He has a precedent in the section. He came here to abuse Allah and he has open a thread on that. He wont listen to anything.

The two major religions was Sold to our fore fathers the same way. They attack the pagans anywhere and condemn their gods to sell their gods... so he’s on the right path of selling his god.

Counter him intellectually and not condemn what you have once practiced
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by hassinho707(m): 3:03pm On Jun 21, 2019
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 3:05pm On Jun 21, 2019
Predstan:

The two major religions was Sold to our fore fathers the same way. They attack the pagans anywhere and condemn their gods to sell their gods... so he’s on the right path of selling his god.

Counter him intellectually and not condemn what you have once practiced

If he presents himself intellectually then i will entertain him similarly.

Sold to you.....not me please.

1 Like

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Predstan: 3:10pm On Jun 21, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

If he presents himself intellectually then i will entertain him similarly.

Sold to you.....not me please.
Sold to your Fore-fathers... U were born one so U don’t know how it feels to condemn one’s belief...

Except if you are from Saudi Arabia or Israel, then I will believe you are the seller of the idea...

How else do you want him to present his god other than the way it was presented to your ancestors...

1 Like

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by ArchAngelos999: 3:24pm On Jun 21, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Tigrinya, Amharic, Tigre and Maltese are examples of semitic languages.

In order of decreasing world speakers:

Arabic 300M
Amharic 22M
Tigrinya 7m
Hebrew About 5M
Tigre 1.05M
Aramaic btw 575k - 1M
Maltese 483k

I don't know how people stopped speaking Hebrew and evolved to Arabic. But i agree that these languages share a similar origin.

The names are same in those languages.

your methodology is wrong.
that more people speak Arabic than Hebrew has nothing to do with its origin. a roadside tailor can teach you the trade and you become an exporter, it doesn't change the origin of your expertise. polygamy is the reason Arabia is so populated. hitler, Nebuchadnezzar, and emperor titus are the reason Jews are so little

language evolves over time and in different ways through increasing knowledge and mixing of cultures. e. g pidgin is a mix of local languages and English.

Ishmel or Ismail and his mother were banished from the Hebrew community of Abraham, Sarah and Co to Arabia. they naturally carried some cultures as well as language there and mixed with others.

also from cultural and religious diffusion or borrowing we can know. Islamic religion purports to stem from Judaism, this is a major pointer to my claim. Allah is one of the words that were borrowed. is Yousef not Yusuf, is Abraham not Ibrahim, is Mary not Maryam, is Moseh not Musa? if yes, then Allah is El-oah which means deity, Allah is an evolved ancient Hebrew word. It's a title, not a name
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Sterope(f): 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2019
We are not saying the same thing. Please don't agree with me at all.

It is funny how you don't find it insulting. How dare some of you try to deny natives their langauge because it doesn't conform to your interpretation?

Rashduct4luv:

I agree with you on this. To the layman and new Muslims you may use any name for Allah in their language. But as they learn more of Tawheed and Attributes of Allah....it will become more imperative to use Allah all the time.

A Christian Arab will use Allah and then ascribe son and third party to Him. We know He is free of all these.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Afospecialk: 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2019
ArchAngelos999:

Ogbeni you are wrong about a lot of things. you chose to insult me rather than address my facts. i don't remember calling you names.

i didn't even say islam has faults, you are the one saying that, it seems you were primed to insult people with contrary opinions.

you say Muslims know what Allah means without dictionary the op disproved it, he won't have had a question in the first place.

El-oah/Allah/deity

don't be deceived

You didnt say Islam has fault yet yu referring to Allah as deity ?

I should not be deceived about what ? That Muslim should accept Allah as deity ?

Do Muslim hav confusion about meaning of Allah ? No

Contrary to ur preconception about the topic is the to teach ignorants that Allah is the creator of all creatures
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by ArchAngelos999: 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2019
tintingz:
Allah is Arabia deity that want people to face the Kaaba to worship him even during pre-islamic era, Elohim is a Hebrew deity that's worship in synagogue by the jews.

El, Yahweh, Jehovah are Cannanites/Jewish gods.

you are almost correct. El is a title, it can be ascribed to angels as well as God, it is not a name. Jehova is a title to, means Lord.

the God of israel is definitely not the Canaanite gods.

the Canaanite gods were worshipped through sexual perversions, immorality and burning of babies. if Israel's God and Canaanites god are the same, israel wouldn't have spelt out fornication and murder as sins...get it? good.

the name of God is Jesus
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by ArchAngelos999: 3:38pm On Jun 21, 2019
Afospecialk:

You didnt say Islam has fault yet yu referring to Allah as deity ?

I should not be deceived about what ? That Muslim should accept Allah as deity ?

Do Muslim hav confusion about meaning of Allah ? No

Contrary to ur preconception about the topic is the to teach ignorants that Allah is the creator of all creatures

preconceptions ke. Awe bawo lo se ma ko nko ni oo mo(guy, how can you teach what you don't know).

Allah like Ibrahim are words derived from old Hebrew. have a nice day
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Sterope(f): 3:48pm On Jun 21, 2019
Allah is not originally an Arabia diety. Nice story though. I don't care for other stories you have. You don't belong here.

tintingz:
Allah is originally an Arabia deity not Christians deity.

Arab Christians only adopt the name because it's their language but they are not referring to the Muslim deity but the Jewish deity(Yahweh or Jehovah).

Olorun is a Yoruba traditional religion deity, Yoruba Chrisians and Muslims adopt the name because that's what they can call their deity in their language. I think it was Bishop Ajayi Crowder that published this idea when translating the Bible into Yoruba.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by OtemAtum: 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2019
Kokoebapluse:

Ok I come to understand you now. But Almighty God can be only worship in Islam other way is astray
God Almighty, the creator of Allah, does not have pleasure in worship, rather, it has pleasure in science, which is the only method that can explore the nature of Existence. Islam is just a personal philosophy of Allah who existed some years back, died and is being worshipped today. Go and read the Book of Universal History, there it is recorded how Allah began and how he died and hoe his philosophy was propagated by Moh Ahmad and his mates who killed thousands of people to establish this philosophy.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by OtemAtum: 4:43pm On Jun 21, 2019
Afospecialk:

Does your book of history consist details of how Allah conquer his enemies starting with just only 1 person to over 1 billions of populations that now practices islam across the world ?

Do you ever take time to reflect on what over 1 billion populations who are practicing Islam today see before accepting Islam ?

Is it by violence all the countries across the world accept Islam ?

Is it by violence just only 7 number of people who first accept Islam defeated millions of warriors all across the world before they finally accept Islam ?

(Allah is beyond human being imagination bcs he is the only creator of all creatures including angels nd all prophets, the one without beginning nd end, He begets not, nor was he begotten and the only ruling judge of the day of recompense)

Anything above these, yu ar free to define Allah to suits your subconscious conceptual inclination

You dont claim to know Allah more than the people that practice Islam
Basic
One person or seven people did not defeat millions of people. It was a movement beginning from Moh Ahmad, then gradually, he began to have supporters. Then like groups of terrorists, they continued to kill people anyhow. They killed the Zoroastrians and the polytheists the most. They had more and more followers, the Kharijites, the Shiites, the Sunnis etc arose from these terrorist sects. They continued to kill and kill till these days. The BOOK OF UNIVERSAL HISTORY recorded it all and I will have a thread dedicated for this purpose because here cannot contain everything about how Islam started and expanded. I will mention you once I open the thread. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2019
Sterope:
We are not saying the same thing. Please don't agree with me at all.

It is funny how you don't find it insulting. How dare some of you try to deny natives their langauge because it doesn't conform to your interpretation?

What does Allah mean to you in your language?
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Sterope(f): 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2019
Oluwa/Olohun. Oluwa to me is the one true God that is the beneficent, the merciful and the all-forgiving. He is God according to my Quran. Basically the concept of Oluwa/Olohun differs by religion.

Rashduct4luv:

What does Allah mean to you in your language?
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2019
ArchAngelos999:

your methodology is wrong.
that more people speak Arabic than Hebrew has nothing to do with its origin. a roadside tailor can teach you the trade and you become an exporter, it doesn't change the origin of your expertise. polygamy is the reason Arabia is so populated. hitler, Nebuchadnezzar, and emperor titus are the reason Jews are so little

language evolves over time and in different ways through increasing knowledge and mixing of cultures. e. g pidgin is a mix of local languages and English.

Ishmel or Ismail and his mother were banished from the Hebrew community of Abraham, Sarah and Co to Arabia. they naturally carried some cultures as well as language there and mixed with others.

also from cultural and religious diffusion or borrowing we can know. Islamic religion purports to stem from Judaism, this is a major pointer to my claim. Allah is one of the words that were borrowed. is Yousef not Yusuf, is Abraham not Ibrahim, is Mary not Maryam, is Moseh not Musa? if yes, then Allah is El-oah which means deity, Allah is an evolved ancient Hebrew word. It's a title, not a name

From above you said Ismail and his mother mixed with Hebrew with what tribe?

And what about the thought that the word Allah is derived by contraction from al-ilāh which means "the God".
Anyways. No point arguing Allah is the one true creator of everything. He is without son, partner or helper.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2019
Predstan:

Sold to your Fore-fathers... U were born one so U don’t know how it feels to condemn one’s belief...

Except if you are from Saudi Arabia or Israel, then I will believe you are the seller of the idea...

How else do you want him to present his god other than the way it was presented to your ancestors...

Adam was the first man on earth and he was a Muslim.
He is the forefather of all of us.
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Predstan: 5:36pm On Jun 21, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

Adam was the first man on earth and he was a Muslim.
He is the forefather of all of us.

Yeah I accept he was a Muslim, Will ou also accept that he never prayed 5 times in a day and he offered sacrifice to his God... If that’s the truth, then it’s logical that his Islam was different from ours... Why is the Islam of adam different from ours of today.

Al istislamu li Awamiri llah(Islam is the total submission to the will of Allah) why was it different
Re: Translating 'Allah' As 'God' by Rashduct4luv(m): 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2019
Sterope:
Oluwa/Olohun. Oluwa to me is the one true God that is the beneficent, the merciful and the all-forgiving. He is God according to my Quran. Basically the concept of Oluwa/Olohun differs by religion.

Anyways. I am a Yoruba too and i stand on the fact that Allah is the appropriate name for the one true God worthy of worship by all Mankind and Jinn.
Oluwa/Olohun as i said can be used in discussions with beginners to clarify and expatiate things. Yorubas too have the concept of Olorun/Olohun/Oluwa/Olodumare before. And if we go in to the linguistic meaning of this translations for God we may be discussing Kufr.

But what the Muslim should use in his worship, his du‘aa’ (supplication) and all other circumstances when referring to Allah, may He be exalted and glorified, is the word “Allah” as it is, because that has become a symbol for the Muslims and something that distinguishes them, and it helps to avoid any confusion between what they mean and what others mean when they say “God”, as others may sometimes be referring to Allah, but sometimes they may be referring to something else.

Everything that you have mentioned above applies to one who does not have a good knowledge of Arabic; as for the one who has a good knowledge of Arabic, it is permissible for him to use the translated words in order to explain Islam and help others to understand it. But when offering du‘aa’ or swearing oaths, he has to avoid doing that with words other than the known Arabic words for the divine names and attributes, as they are confirmed in the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

And Allah knows best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Tintingz? / Justice: Insulting Prophet Muhammad Can Lead You In Jail / Muslim Inspired Fashion In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.