Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 - Investment (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 (79400 Views)

How To Be Rich In Nigeria / Nigerian Stocks That Make You Happy All The Time / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by abocana: 6:08am On Jun 27, 2007
Thanks a lot cheexy.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 11:50am On Jun 27, 2007
cheexy:

@All,
My strategy is to chill for zenith bank to issue to rumoured bonus afterwhich the price will be adjusted. If they don't issue the expected bonus, people will drop it like it is hot! GTB seems cool but i will wait a bit because once the FBN offer draws to an end and dangote flour comes out, people will offload and prices will come crashing (except the PFAs aka money miss road come in). May and Baker and Japaul seem good for medium term. May and Baker because of the vaccine thing and Japaul because they will float a public offer in september (naija lo wa, if you get my drift) and they are the only quoted company in the maritime subsector. Please what do you guys think of ABC transport and GREIF?

A lot has to do with personality and your risk tolerance level.

Rumours are that FBN will be oversubscribed and will hit 70.00!!! Learnt that they've already raked in N80bn without returns from Broker.s So a 200% subscription (N200Bn) is possible. If that is the case, price of First Bank will hit the roof.

Diamond seems over priced. However, if they declare bonus and come again for offer, the Oceanic impact may likely re occur. Anyway expect Diamond to reach 25.00.

Wema Bank is another good one but very risky. YE 2006 audited result is not yet out (unadited result now on their website). If they meet the YE March 2007 forecast, then the price should be in the 15.00 range. With little government holding, they are set for great things if they can get their acts together. They may also go for an offer because they are currently one of the smallest banks.

May and Baker, good for the Medium term. The 2006 result was way below the forecast as contained in the prospectus for the PO. However, they seems to be on to good things once the Bio Vaccine starts production.

WAPCO is still fairly valued in the Cement sector.

Trans Express, if you EVER get it to buy may be a penny stock that might skyrocket soon.

Oando is looking riskier everyday. Just check out how many OandO shares they are planning to issue to Ocean and Oil!!!! Will wait for their restructuring before taken positions. Moreover, petroleum marketing is a no go area until they deregulate the sector.

GTB does not 'jerk' up its price in readiness for offer so will not take position based on an impending offer. However, GTB at 30.00 is not bad. It is worth going for.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Tmoni(m): 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2007
at all,
i think we really need a nairaland fund for peeps like wanjo, cheexy, windywendy, frankiri , ayala and easimoni to run for us,

and we pay them if they past an agreed hurdle rate,

they seem to have all the info, background info is what makes an speculator make money

we should really ponder over this
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by RichDad1(m): 2:21pm On Jun 27, 2007
@Tmoni,
You too the words from my mouth, lipsrsealed
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by windywendy(f): 2:47pm On Jun 27, 2007
hbrednic:

DSR's worst nightmare will be there Brasillian sugar suppliers new romance with bio diessel.

Can you please shed more light on this? I know that DSR imports its raw sugar from Brazil, but what has bio diesel got to do with it?
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Femtex(m): 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2007
My guess is part of the raw material being used to produce Raw Sugar will be use for bio diesel production. I know Brazil produce a lot of sugarcane which they used for Sugar production and also for Bio diesel, but right now, I don't think they produce enough to dominate the bio diesel business and still be the biggest player in the Raw Sugar Industry.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by RoughCut(m): 3:52pm On Jun 27, 2007
Femtex:

My guess is part of the raw material being used to produce Raw Sugar will be use for bio diesel production. I know Brazil produce a lot of sugarcane which they used for Sugar production and also for Bio diesel, but right now, I don't think they produce enough to dominate the bio diesel business and still be the biggest player in the Raw Sugar Industry.

Brazil is the biggest producer of ethanol fuel from sugarcane infact 60% of all the vehicles in Brazil run on ethanol feul and recently NNPC renewable section has entered into an agreement with Brazil to import ethanol fuel apparently there is a directive that in the next few years the petrol  must have 10% ethanol so i guess this will put a lot of pressure on sugarcane production in Brazil. There are 29000 filling stations in nigeria according to reports that have been kitted out to sell ethanol fuel so its all happening so not sure what effect this will have on DSR
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by wanaj0: 5:09pm On Jun 27, 2007
RoughCut:

Brazil is the biggest producer of ethanol fuel from sugarcane infact 60% of all the vehicles in Brazil run on ethanol feul and recently NNPC renewable section has entered into an agreement with Brazil to import ethanol fuel apparently there is a directive that in the next few years the petrol  must have 10% ethanol so i guess this will put a lot of pressure on sugarcane production in Brazil. There are 29000 filling stations in nigeria according to reports that have been kitted out to sell ethanol fuel so its all happening so not sure what effect this will have on DSR

No major impact. If Sugarcane becomes scarce, refined sugar also will become scarce. Hence you will see an increase in the cost of refined sugar with DSR margins remain almost fixed. Reason is simple, no alternative yet to sugar.

That said, DSR is setting up plantation for Sugar cane.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by oyibommm: 6:23pm On Jun 27, 2007
are there alot of people waiting for their DSR certificates, been pondering upon buying DSR again, but am not too sure if there are still alot of sellers in the market right now.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by oyibommm: 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2007
also any one hear sterling may be bought out in the near future ?
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Proshareng: 6:18pm On Jun 28, 2007
To easimoni and egoldman:

You are both right. I am with proshare and manage the www.proshareng.com/blog.

I find your comments on this site quite insightful and would be happy to engage you in exploring the different viewpoints on issues.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by diva4eva(f): 1:31pm On Jul 01, 2007
hi everyone
I just discovered a wonderful website that can help you manage your portfolio. i think its a WOW cos it helps u calculate everything. its so detailed. i feel u all should check it out. and GUESS WHAT? IT'S FREE. the web addy is www.investordelight.com. take care y'all
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by baj: 1:43pm On Jul 01, 2007
HELLO GUYS PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE HEARD ANYTHING FROM TOTAL CONCERNING undecided THE POSITION OF THE PAYROLL OFFICER . THANKS undecided
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by baj: 2:01pm On Jul 01, 2007
HELLO GUYS PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE HEARD ANYTHING FROM TOTAL CONCERNING undecided THE POSITION OF THE PAYROLL OFFICER . THANKS undecided
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Nimshi: 9:36pm On Jul 01, 2007
hbrednic: DSR's worst nightmare will be there Brasillian sugar suppliers new romance with bio diessel.

No, hbrednic. Biodiesel wouldn't hurt DSR (biodiesel involves the separation of glycerine from some feedstock like vegetable oils, animal fats, etc; the big word for the process is transesterification, ); but ethanol could hurt DSR. Both ethanol and biodiesel are promising biofuels.

Brilliant post, yours.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by RoughCut(m): 11:24pm On Jul 01, 2007
Nimshi:

No, hbrednic. Biodiesel wouldn't hurt DSR (biodiesel involves the separation of glycerine from some feedstock like vegetable oils, animal fats, etc; the big word for the process is transesterification, ); but ethanol could hurt DSR. Both ethanol and biodiesel are promising biofuels.

Brilliant post, yours.

@Nimshi
seems you are knowlwedgeable about biofuels etc. I have been looking into ethanol for nigeria in areas where the raw materials especially sugar cane and sorghum and so on are abundant. What do u think the prospects are and the feasibility? I know university of nigeria nsukka have done a research using cassava starch for ethanol and i think they are looking for investors so from a technical and commercial point of view what do u think the prospects are. Like to link up with you at some point
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Nimshi: 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2007
RoughCut: there is always potential in Nigeria if there's money to be made. But the options of this technology have to be carefully considered. To produce ethanol, sugar has to be fermented using catalysts, actually enzymes from yeast. From a short list of major sugars, glucose stands out as the 'better' form of sugar for fermentation; glucose is contained in carbohydrates and cellulose. What material you use for conversion to ethanol depends on your situation: for example, most of the ethanol produced in the US is from maize (our common corn); maize produces large quantities of carbohydrates. In Brazil, it is sugar cane that's driving ethanol.

And there is the brilliance of the post I referred to (plus the information, I should add, from poster windywendy that DangoSugar imports the raw material from Brazil). If 5% of ethanol is blended with petrol, you don't need to modify the engine of a motor car for this fuel. Add to that the fact that Brazil is world top leader in the production of cars that can use either ethanol or petrol. How long before the market there becomes more attractive than selling to DSR?

We must also consider the possibility of the dropping of EU support for the relevant farmers: if DSR has access to this market, that'll be gold. BUT: is DangoSugar creating any excess capacity at all? Many observers don't see them preparing to export anything yet.

P.S.: if you're interested, I could send you info. The basics are available in a small PDF. Cheers.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Femtex(m): 7:41pm On Jul 02, 2007
@ Nimshi

Recent reseach and patents have also proven that ethanol can be produced from Grass, which is pretty much the cheapest source of Raw material available. To produce Ethanol using fermentation process, you actually don't need any catalyst, but Micro-organism you do need to facilitate your production; Fungi or bacteria which will be cultivated (depending on your process), also some other micro and macro nutrients are needed or else those organisms are not going to produce or spit out any by-product (Metabolism). I think there is a lot of money to be made in these section, with the right technology and economics.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Nimshi: 9:14pm On Jul 02, 2007
Femtex: you're right; the 'catalyst' bit isn't exactly correct, but the enzyme is necessary. And yes, methanol canbe produced from grass and, in fact, from about any biomass resource including forage, crops, wood resources, forest remains, and - well - cellusioc components of municipal solid waste (think of those mountains of waste on Lagos streets, ). What is technically/technologically feasible need not be so practically/economically. Micro-organisms hold a lot of promise, not only for biofuels, but for fossil fuel production. It's still some probably long way to making these processes economical.

I don't suppose there're any biofuel stocks yet on the NSE, though.

Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 8:40pm On Jul 03, 2007
Nimshi:

Femtex: you're right; the 'catalyst' bit isn't exactly correct, but the enzyme is necessary. And yes, methanol canbe produced from grass and, in fact, from about any biomass resource including forage, crops, wood resources, forest remains, and - well - cellusioc components of municipal solid waste (think of those mountains of waste on Lagos streets, ). What is technically/technologically feasible need not be so practically/economically. Micro-organisms hold a lot of promise, not only for biofuels, but for fossil fuel production. It's still some probably long way to making these processes economical.

I don't suppose there're any biofuel stocks yet on the NSE, though.

crymy chemistry was not too good
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2007
baj:

Wrong thread. Try the careers section
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by umary: 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2007
AYlala, do u have any idea concerning when DANGOTE FLOUR will be out and how much.
tkare guys, top of the moment.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by tyademolu(m): 12:27am On Jul 05, 2007
To all the gurus in the house. I think I made a mistake when placing orders for some shares. I bought some shares in Dangote sugar @ N55, Crusader @ N6.5 and RTBriscoe @ N29.5 but since when I bought the shares, the price has done nothing but surge downwards. do you think I should place a sell and count my losses or I should wait it out in hope that it is a good stock on the long run. I don't want to lose money and I also don't want to lose more money. So I would like an advise on the best thing to do now with this shares. Your opinion counts. Thanks
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Pelican(m): 10:45am On Jul 05, 2007
Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since February, a youngman whom I know personally, (I still prefer to withold his name for now) made me understand that, against my believe, he is actually an agent to SUPRA COMMERCIAL TRUST LTD. Meanwhile he has been operating with me under the name SEBVIC INVESTMENTS LTD.

He told me I cannot operate my portfolio because SUPRA is on suspension. I have stock worth millions of Naira with him.

Please who knows about this body? What can I do in a situation like this because it is causing me a lot of stress.

Thanks.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by shigidi(m): 11:25am On Jul 05, 2007
@ pelican. do u have a cscs account number. if you do why dont u check it out and find out what ur stock position is. u can check this at cscs office in marina. if u dont have a cscs number. then ur guy might be playing u. do not panic! yet. holla if u have more problems
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by teena(f): 1:29pm On Jul 05, 2007
I hope this might be useful to this thread.

Source: http://www.stockmarketnigeria.com/2007/07/05/smn-top-52nd-quarter-result/

By Ogbuotobo Chuks
After about 5 months of active trading on the SMN (StockMarketNigeria) top 5 stocks for 2007, things are indeed beginning to become interesting as we are indeed acheiving good results. The summary for the second quarter ended June 30, 2007 is detailed below.

Intercontinental Bank Plc

At the end of the second quarter, the shares of the bank had been sold because we believe that investors were not really happy with dividend payout, and this has been inpacting on the price since then. The dilution of the company shares due to foreign investors was responsible for this. This might be a temporary thing, but since we are doing more of trading in order to increase the value of our portfolio, we sold off. We bought 456 units at N20.25 and sold at N25.61, representing an appreciation of 26.46 percent.

WAPCO

During the same period, we sold off the shares of WAPCO. This is due to the fact that the entry of Obajana Cement is going to stiffen competition and we stand a better chance with BCC instead of WAPCO. Their management is good, but the company wil not really create value for its shareholders in the short term. The price is still yet to recover from the by effect of the N1 dividend paid in their last financial year , which was not impressive and caused poeple to loose confidence in the company. We sold off at a loss though. We bought 118 units at N79.99 and sold at N70.15, representing a loss of 12.30 percent.

LASACO

This stock is the new kid on the block. The money generated from the sale of the above mentioned companies were used to purchase this stock. We believe that this stock has some intrinsic value that will continue to unfold as time goes by. we purchased 6000 units at N2.89 and the price closed at N3.46 on Friday 29,2007. This indicates an appreciation of 19 percent after about 1 month of purchase.

Oceanic Bank Plc.

After a public offer, the stock was lifted from technical suspension and has done impressively well since then. 564 units were purchased at N19.53 and colsed at N26.40 on the last day of trading in June. This translates into 35.17 appreciation. The company just released an impressive 3rd quarter result which is already impacting on the price. We believe there is still room at the top for this bank and so, we will hold.

Fidelity Bank

This is one of our best stocks in the portfolio. The company presently is attracting the attention of investors, in expectation of its full year results. We have achieved an appreciation of 138 percent on this stock, as we bought at N4 and it closed at N9.52 on June 29,2007. We purchased 2,230 units of the stock and will still hold as it has inherent abilities to create more wealth.

Benue Cement Company.

The price of this stock has not really rallied points since we purchased it, but we decided to hold due to some future prospects. We believe that the by effect of Obajana Cement will rub off on BCC. Also, the rate of construction activities is on the increase and as such, the use of cement would also increase. A total of 174 units were bought at N60.00 but the price at the end of the quarter was N54.00. we however got a bonus of about 21 units which is fair in view of other things.

After calculating, the net value of the portfolio stood at N66,623.20, from an initial investment of N50,000. This indicates an appreciation of 33.24 percent. With two quarters to go, we believe that with sound management an skill, we would hit 80 percent or more.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by umary: 11:20pm On Jul 06, 2007
@ty_ademola,,
you dont have to bolt out cos it seems u er losing now, it might still go up later. rule No. 2 as a stock investor is PATIENCE espeacially when u er a long term player.
Besides as an investor in the stock market u need to av an entry period and exit period, i think u shld develop one now so that u wont just be droping ur stock cos of price movement irrationally.
From analysis i think Dansug will still rise later in the year the drop now is due to the fact pple just got their share cert and dropping it off to make profit.
so relax and follow rule no. 1.
READ & LEARN
lol

Aylala, ow far with dan flour, any info yet, i dont want to spend this money, top of the moment
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by shigidi(m): 10:32am On Jul 10, 2007
what do all the gurus in the house thunk bout gtbs GDRs, good buy or not?
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by Pelican(m): 11:43am On Jul 10, 2007
shigidi:

@ pelican. do u have a cscs account number. if you do why don't u check it out and find out what your stock position is. u can check this at cscs office in marina. if u don't have a cscs number. then your guy might be playing u. do not panic! yet. holla if u have more problems

The Shigidi himself, thanks for your concern. We go try.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by RichDad1(m): 1:33pm On Jul 10, 2007
@Frankiriri,
Please i heard you have an investment club, I will like to know how to join, cupidkenny@yahoo.com.
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by femlaj(f): 1:58pm On Jul 10, 2007
please does anyone have information on sterling bank, its urgent, should i sell off or wait
Re: Stocks That Can Make You Rich In 2007 by frankiriri(m): 6:35pm On Jul 10, 2007
The GDRs are just a means of raising capital from abroad. If you think GTB is a good buy then the GDRs would be ( a good buy). The only difference between a pure GTB share purchase and the GDR is that the latter is denominated in dollars. ( so you may have to worry about the effect of fluctuations in the exchange rate between the dollar and the naira.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (46) (Reply)

MMM Runs To Kenya After Swindling Nigerians. Promises 40% Per Month / Crowdfunding Investment Platforms And Options (non Agritech Categories) / "Option C" Investors Storm Oko Oloyun’s Office To Demand Their Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.