Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,508 members, 7,823,190 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? (26966 Views)

How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? / Soul, Spirit And Memory / Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 14, 2019
victorazyvictor:

You sef ! grin
Hell is for Souls

The breath of life is the Spirit.
So the devil and the demons are also souls too?

If they are, then the human souls are also spirits.

So you too sef!
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by MuttleyLaff: 9:13pm On Jul 14, 2019
Holycity:
Whats the difference between the spirit and the soul?

have be wondering
abeg guys help me answer this one

Image123:
I want to guess you are asking for a Christian or biblical perspective. The question has been answered several times in the past. It's a shame the sort of answers on the first page except for maybe my friend MuttleyLaff (who has been literarily kidnapped by homos) who managed what seems right.
I have until further notice being relieved from that duty and/or assignment. I guess you're happy and can breathe a good sigh of relief that no more "fiam" until further notice, from me anymore, on that subject, erhn? Excuse the "breathe" pun, too tempting not to seize the opportunity not to take advantage of using it considering subject matter has to to do spirit and breath

Image123:
The soul and spirit are two different parts of man. The bible clearly says Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

There is a dividing asunder of soul and spirit.
I concur completely with all in this comment without demur

Image123:
The spirit is the most precious part of man coming from God. The soul is the seat of emotion and intellect. If there are further questions and clarifications, i will be available by the grace of God.
Er Sir, er Sir, there are questions ooo (i.e. raising hand and standing up)
1/ Why is the spirit the most precious part of man coming from God and not the soul, hmm?
2/ If the soul, is not the most precious part of man coming from God, why is Satan then interested in and always gunning for the soul but not the spirit for, being after the souls to have, take and display as trophies? Case in point, turning up, arguing with Angel Michael about Moses' body, asking for Moses' dead body, for him to take way.

jesusjnr:
If spirits go back to God then how come there are still evil spirits?
"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
"
- Genesis 2:7

"For the Spirit of God has made me,
and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
"
- Job 33:4

Good angels gone bad are evil spirits, as in, deceiving spirits as it were. Evil spirits are demons behind all those deceitful doctrines pushed about on this forum

Now, jesusjnr, please dont be conflating "ruach" and "neshamah" with ordinary or commonplace spirits, as in, dont be mixing up the Spirit of God and the breath or wind of God, with extraterrestrial beings, which is what evil and good spirits are.

Fyi, "ruach", in Hebrew, with its corresponding Greek word "pneuma" essentially and in an almost oversimplified way means force. It is breath, wind, spirit of God, all rolled in as one thing. It in a sense is the invisible force or power of God, hence why being perceived as a Spirit, so yes, "ruach" is the Spirit of God. In fact you wont wrong in saying, it is the Holy Spirit, as in, the Spirit of God

You can see both "ruach" and "neshamah" being interplayed in the creation of man from Genesis 2:7 reproduced above. As a witness and corrobating verse, Job 33:4 you see reproduced above, confirms, by testifying, that, its "ruach" that made man and it is "neshamah" that gives man life

"Neshamah", incidentally, is actually derived from another Hebrew word called "nasham" that means to pant or blow away with air, now, it is when "neshamah" returns and goes back to God, that you'll have a lifeless, dead and motionless human being body

It is "ruach", the Spirit from God and "neshamah" that keeps the human body animated. When the spirit, as in, "neshamah", the breath, returns back to God, the body slumps and the soul goes into comatose. It is similar to a TV animated cartoon reverting to a cartoon strip character on a comic book or magazine paper.

jesusjnr:
And since hell was made for the evil spirits, doesn't that tell you that those human souls which also end up there are also human spirits?
Gehenna, aka hell, aka Hades and death both of them with the evil spirits et al will be cast into the lake of fire

jesusjnr:
You can believe what you want but the Truth is that a human soul is the same as the human spirit, and no human spirit goes back to God.
"Thus says God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and its offspring, Who gives breath (i.e. "neshamah'') to the people on it, and spirit (i.e. "ruach'') to those who walk in it,"
- Isaiah 42:5

You are totally out of order, for dishing out this error because "neshamah" does returns and goes back to God. Isaiah 42:5 reproduced above, is a third witness, talking about breath (i.e. "neshamah'') to the people on earth, and spirit (i.e. "ruach'') to those who walk in it

VRDroid:
Spirit is the base level of the conscious unit of awareness.

Soul is the base vehicular unit of transport of spirit to any Reality it seeks to experience in Created Universes.
VRDroid, Billyonaire in incognito mode, is good, but he doesnt know when to quit while ahead. That is his problem.

victorazyvictor:
You sef ! grin
Hell is for Souls

The breath of life is the Spirit.
Wow, impressive. Awesome.

jesusjnr:
So the devil and the demons are also souls too?
If they are, then the human souls are also spirits
So you too sef!
No, the devil and the demons are not also souls too

Now, the reason why the devil and the demons are not also souls too, is because they are inredeemable. They are not able to be saved, improved, or corrected because of the mere fact that they lack a soul. They havent got diddly squat souls. Who dash monkey banana?

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by denitro(m): 10:07pm On Jul 14, 2019
1) A mortal soul consists of a body and spirit united in a temporary or mortal union.

2) An immortal soul is a resurrected personage.

Soul = Body + Spirit
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by Tedassie(m): 11:07pm On Jul 14, 2019
Man is a spirit that has a soul and lives in a body. Well from my own perspective: Soul and Spirit coexist interdependently,they also have their individual role to play,as far as human existence is concerned. We can offer a metaphysical perspective to this: Our spirit can be said to be our intangible life-force (totally independent of our biological workings). That is a nexus to
realms that transcend our physical world and tangible experiences
I won't want to go into etymology and all that as some other persons have already done so.

Now,I've been made to understand that, the 'Soul' embodies three distinct things which are:
The Mind,The Will and The Emotions

Holycity
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by backbone503(m): 12:21am On Jul 15, 2019
You are Soul, created in God's image and likeness. As such, you are immortal and posses all God's qualities.

Spirit is the essense of God that sustains you (Soul). without Spirit, Soul ceases to exist.

Using a phone as example, your physical body can be likened to the phone's casing. Soul being the SIM card, and Spirit being the Network.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by okosunehis: 11:23am On Jul 15, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

I have until further notice being relieved from that duty and/or assignment. I guess you're happy and can breathe a good sigh of relief that no more "fiam" until further notice, from me anymore, on that subject, erhn? Excuse the "breathe" pun, too tempting not to seize the opportunity not to take advantage of using it considering subject matter has to to do spirit and breath

Very impressed by your insight into this very controversial issue. Yours is about the most informed of all the responses so far. It's obvious this is a topic you have researched extensively applying both the English usages and the originally translated Hebrew and Greek words in context. That is something I have tried to do as well and have come to a similar but yet different position to yours. Do hear me out:

As you rightly established, the soul and the spirit refer to two different parts of the tripartite man. That much is easily established in Heb 4:12 and 1 Thess 5:23

Broadly speaking, while the body represents the tangible component of man or any being, the soul and the spirit represent that which is incorporeal or immaterial. But we must be careful not to conflate the non-physical "spirit body" that angels or demons possess with the "good or evil spirit" that they possess. So "spirit" as translated from the words "ruach" or "pneuma" may be used to describe the spirit body/nature of an entity or the spirit "force" that an entity (physical or spiritual) possesses.

In the case of the spirit of God or the Holy Spirit, the word ruach does not sufficiently describe it as ruach is also used for the spirit in man (Job 32:cool. But as we can deduce from Gen 1:2, the "ruach" of God is usually followed by elohim or hakodesh which essentially means the spirit of God or of the Holy One.

Two salient points that would guide us further as we probe what exactly the spirit represents is:

Firstly, that innate quality and self-possessed nature that God has, which He shares with His creatures as He pleases is called the Spirit, i.e. the Holy Spirit. It is never referred to as the "holy soul". Though both words are sometimes used interchangeably in the Bible, God's special gift to His servants and by which He does miraculous works directly or via His agents is His divine Spirit. Elihu said it is God's Spirit that gives the spirit of man understanding. St. Paul said this spirit is not one of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind.

Secondly, on all occasions the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit featured in the Biblical narrative, never was it described to appear as a person or an angel. The angels were severally named, but not the Holy Spirit. This goes to debunk the belief that the Holy Spirit is a person like God Almighty and Jesus Christ. When Christ was prophesied to be sent from heaven to come and redeem mankind, he eventually came as a person, one human being; flesh and blood like us humans. But when christ himself promised to send the Holy Spirit after his ascension, the Spirit descended upon the apostles appearing as tongues of fire. This is similar to it descending on Jesus as a dove. Right from the Old Testament records, the Spirit never took human form. Also, the Holy Spirit can be transferred from one individual to another by mere laying of hands. Just as the bequether of the Spirit, the recipient immediately receives some inherent power that gives him super abilities that were not possessed hitherto.

So I consider the spirit to be some sort of (non-material) application, software, intelligence, power or force that originally comes from God (the Holy Spirit). The spirit can be shared or transferred from person to person, depending on the inherent levels of the spirit possessed by the giver. We are made to understand that it is only Jesus Christ whom God gave His Holy Spirit without measure. This was demonstrated by the super-human powers and knowledge Christ seemed to possess, even though his physical appearance was like that of every human. Likewise, though God creates every animal, man inclusive, with an innate spirit, He can share more powers with man or animal through His Holy Spirit.

When animals perform strange or human-like actions in the Bible, it is either they have been possessed by a spirit being or are being controlled by a spirit source. Whether the serpent in the Garden of Eden, to the talking donkey, the spirit of animals can be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man.

The attribute of man that God used to give him dominion over earthly creatures, by which Adam was supposed to dominate and replenish the earth was a higher dose of the spirit i.e. a higher intelligence. Adam received this via the breath of life, so he was created with an innate spirit that was superior to that of the lesser animals. This is why even though man depends on the breath of life and dies like every other animal, a point emphasized in Eccl. 3:19, for the fact that God placed a like version of His Holy Spirit in man, giving us our own spirit, we are able to establish dominion over other animals.

Having dealt extensively to nature of the spirit, let us now look at what the soul represents.

If we consider these scriptural texts - Eze 18:4,20; Matt 10:28; Mark 8:36; the word soul, translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh" or Greek word "psuche" is closely associated with the power of life in man. As Ezekiel put it, all souls are God's, that is all life takes it source from God the creator. Going further, he teaches that the soul that sins shall die, so the soul is not immortal. Also, there are evil souls, or put differently, there are persons that have the power of life in them(not power to give life) that are wicked or evil. So unlike the point you made, the devil and his demons have a soul/are a soul as well.

Even animals have a soul (Consider the use of "nephesh" in Gen. 1:20,24; Lev 11:46,etc). It is the power of life that powers both the subconscious and the conscious mind.

The word soul is also used to describe a body that has the ability to possess life, whether in its living or dead state. This is why it is both correct to say we are souls or we have souls. In Lev. 21:11, the dead is simply referred to as "dead soul". This usage is similar to how you can describe a TV set (for example) as an electronic device or something that runs on electricity. So when the TV is not plugged to the AC circuit, it is still an electronic device, but in a "dead" state.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by chidiogo123(f): 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2019
peteruuu:

I came late.

Soul is the nature of the spirit, and the spirit is the nature of the body.

It's what is in the soul that reflects in the spirit..therefore, the spirit will now reflect it in the body.

Need more explanation?, I'll gladly help.
WhatsApp: 08172568455. Have very slim laptops you might be interested in.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by Image123(m): 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

This is a good testimony, see what the Lord can do. Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1/ Why is the spirit the most precious part of man coming from God and not the soul, hmm?
2/ If the soul, is not the most precious part of man coming from God, why is Satan then interested in and always gunning for the soul but not the spirit for, being after the souls to have, take and display as trophies? Case in point, turning up, arguing with Angel Michael about Moses' body, asking for Moses' dead body, for him to take way.

Not question from senior man, Ah ah? This one is examination, not question, haba. Lemme try small sha.

The spirit is the most precious part of man because it comes directly from God.
Gen 2:7  And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
2Co_3:6  Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
Joh_6:63  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

While the above emphasized DIRECTLY refers to the Holy Spirit, it also shows how essential spirit is. It is the spirit that gives life. We know that man is created in the image of God: God Himself being tripartite in nature; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. The body as we will readily agree is from the dust, the God the Father of spirits, breathed spirit into the body, and man became a living soul.
Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 

God is Spirit and Father of spirits, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. That is of heaven and from heaven. Being soulish or fleshly cannot please God as being spiritual. And the spirit returns to God that formed it. I'll stop there. that is why the spirit of man is most precious. And the regenerated man is rightly arranged as spirit, soul and body.
1Th_5:23  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The second part, satan is interested in taking anything and everything just like the place you quoted showed. If he can get the body, he will. If he can destroy the soul, he will.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by MuttleyLaff: 6:55am On Jul 16, 2019
okosunehis:
Very impressed by your insight into this very controversial issue. Yours is about the most informed of all the responses so far. It's obvious this is a topic you have researched extensively applying both the English usages and the originally translated Hebrew and Greek words in context. That is something I have tried to do as well and have come to a similar but yet different position to yours. Do hear me out:

As you rightly established, the soul and the spirit refer to two different parts of the tripartite man. That much is easily established in Heb 4:12 and 1 Thess 5:23

Broadly speaking, while the body represents the tangible component of man or any being, the soul and the spirit represent that which is incorporeal or immaterial. But we must be careful not to conflate the non-physical "spirit body" that angels or demons possess with the "good or evil spirit" that they possess. So "spirit" as translated from the words "ruach" or "pneuma" may be used to describe the spirit body/nature of an entity or the spirit "force" that an entity (physical or spiritual) possesses.

In the case of the spirit of God or the Holy Spirit, the word ruach does not sufficiently describe it as ruach is also used for the spirit in man (Job 32:cool. But as we can deduce from Gen 1:2, the "ruach" of God is usually followed by elohim or hakodesh which essentially means the spirit of God or of the Holy One.

Two salient points that would guide us further as we probe what exactly the spirit represents is:

Firstly, that innate quality and self-possessed nature that God has, which He shares with His creatures as He pleases is called the Spirit, i.e. the Holy Spirit. It is never referred to as the "holy soul". Though both words are sometimes used interchangeably in the Bible, God's special gift to His servants and by which He does miraculous works directly or via His agents is His divine Spirit. Elihu said it is God's Spirit that gives the spirit of man understanding. St. Paul said this spirit is not one of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind.

Secondly, on all occasions the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit featured in the Biblical narrative, never was it described to appear as a person or an angel. The angels were severally named, but not the Holy Spirit. This goes to debunk the belief that the Holy Spirit is a person like God Almighty and Jesus Christ. When Christ was prophesied to be sent from heaven to come and redeem mankind, he eventually came as a person, one human being; flesh and blood like us humans. But when christ himself promised to send the Holy Spirit after his ascension, the Spirit descended upon the apostles appearing as tongues of fire. This is similar to it descending on Jesus as a dove. Right from the Old Testament records, the Spirit never took human form. Also, the Holy Spirit can be transferred from one individual to another by mere laying of hands. Just as the bequether of the Spirit, the recipient immediately receives some inherent power that gives him super abilities that were not possessed hitherto.

So I consider the spirit to be some sort of (non-material) application, software, intelligence, power or force that originally comes from God (the Holy Spirit). The spirit can be shared or transferred from person to person, depending on the inherent levels of the spirit possessed by the giver. We are made to understand that it is only Jesus Christ whom God gave His Holy Spirit without measure. This was demonstrated by the super-human powers and knowledge Christ seemed to possess, even though his physical appearance was like that of every human. Likewise, though God creates every animal, man inclusive, with an innate spirit, He can share more powers with man or animal through His Holy Spirit.

When animals perform strange or human-like actions in the Bible, it is either they have been possessed by a spirit being or are being controlled by a spirit source. Whether the serpent in the Garden of Eden, to the talking donkey, the spirit of animals can be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man.

The attribute of man that God used to give him dominion over earthly creatures, by which Adam was supposed to dominate and replenish the earth was a higher dose of the spirit i.e. a higher intelligence. Adam received this via the breath of life, so he was created with an innate spirit that was superior to that of the lesser animals. This is why even though man depends on the breath of life and dies like every other animal, a point emphasized in Eccl. 3:19, for the fact that God placed a like version of His Holy Spirit in man, giving us our own spirit, we are able to establish dominion over other animals.

Having dealt extensively to nature of the spirit, let us now look at what the soul represents.

If we consider these scriptural texts - Eze 18:4,20; Matt 10:28; Mark 8:36; the word soul, translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh" or Greek word "psuche" is closely associated with the power of life in man. As Ezekiel put it, all souls are God's, that is all life takes it source from God the creator. Going further, he teaches that the soul that sins shall die, so the soul is not immortal. Also, there are evil souls, or put differently, there are persons that have the power of life in them (not power to give life) that are wicked or evil. So unlike the point you made, the devil and his demons have a soul/are a soul as well.

Even animals have a soul (Consider the use of "nephesh" in Gen. 1:20,24; Lev 11:46,etc). It is the power of life that powers both the subconscious and the conscious mind.

The word soul is also used to describe a body that has the ability to possess life, whether in its living or dead state. This is why it is both correct to say we are souls or we have souls. In Lev. 21:11, the dead is simply referred to as "dead soul". This usage is similar to how you can describe a TV set (for example) as an electronic device or something that runs on electricity. So when the TV is not plugged to the AC circuit, it is still an electronic device, but in a "dead" state.
I must own up, that I tried finding where I possibly could disagree with somethings in your post but I failed. My efforts were in vain, as in, without what I'll really call good success. Well done.

I wrestled with "... the devil and his demons have a soul/are a soul as well ..." and agonised over whether its because they havent a soul is why they're irredeemable, as in, why the gift of salvation is not extended to them etcetera but at the end of it, seeing that the Bible is silent on the devil and his demon angels having souls, I capitulated. Yes, I gave up the wrestle & struggle, for the stark reason, that there just isnt any information in the Bible to make or not make any conclusion on the devil and his demon angels having or not having souls. Wetin I dey find sef, it's not by force to raise peniis nau.

The only other reservations I had was with a few some parts of the comment : "When animals perform strange or human-like actions in the Bible, it is either they have been possessed by a spirit being or are being controlled by a spirit source. Whether the serpent in the Garden of Eden, to the talking donkey, the spirit of animals can be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man" but then I remembered this fox, that lives among the shrubbery on a school ground not far from where I live, that always at night gives out this ungodly shrill noisy calls. The first time I heard it, I thought to myself, what a demon possessed animal. It is getting annoying now, because it regularly at night makes the irritable noise. What am I trying to say sef?. Well, I am admitting that, there are behavioral aberrations that we human beings quickly put down to as being due to a demon possession. Graduateacher raised a good point with controlling the gateway to our souls, so as not to be unduly and unfavourably influenced. Things dey, that when they happen, are baffling, puzzling, look strange, mysterious, beyond understanding that they are inexplicable

[img]https://s3/images/You.jpg[/img]
This is your first, ever and only comment in the Religion forum section.
Why? Na wa ooo. Dont sit back nau. Do it, more often. God bless.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by okosunehis: 4:00pm On Jul 16, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I must own up, that I tried finding where I possibly could disagree with somethings in your post but I failed. My efforts were in vain, as in, without what I'll really call good success. Well done.

I wrestled with "... the devil and his demons have a soul/are a soul as well ..." and agonised over whether its because they havent a soul is why they're irredeemable, as in, why the gift of salvation is not extended to them etcetera but at the end of it, seeing that the Bible is silent on the devil and his demon angels having souls, I capitulated. Yes, I gave up the wrestle & struggle, for the stark reason, that there just isnt any information in the Bible to make or not make any conclusion on the devil and his demon angels having or not having souls. Wetin I dey find sef, it's not by force to raise peniis nau.

The only other reservations I had was with a few some parts of the comment : "When animals perform strange or human-like actions in the Bible, it is either they have been possessed by a spirit being or are being controlled by a spirit source. Whether the serpent in the Garden of Eden, to the talking donkey, the spirit of animals can be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man" but then I remembered this fox, that lives among the shrubbery on a school ground not far from where I live, that always at night gives out this ungodly shrill noisy calls. The first time I heard it, I thought to myself, what a demon possessed animal. It is getting annoying now, because it regularly at night makes the irritable noise. What am I trying to say sef?. Well, I am admitting that, there are behavioral aberrations that we human beings quickly put down to as being due to a demon possession. Graduateacher raised a good point with controlling the gateway to our souls, so as not to be unduly and unfavourably influenced. Things dey, that when they happen, are baffling, puzzling, look strange, mysterious, beyond understanding that they are inexplicable

[img]https://s3/images/You.jpg[/img]
This is your first, ever and only comment in the Religion forum section.
Why? Na wa ooo. Dont sit back nau. Do it, more often. God bless.

Much thanks. To be getting such commendation from you is a lot. I have tried to share these ideas but sometimes people are so fixated on their beliefs without ever considering anything contrary.

Your issue with animal abilities is appreciated. Laslas, no be everything person fit explain! I was only trying to put such occurrences within the context of the topic in discourse. E get as dog go look person sometimes you go almost dey imagine say na human being eye e get...lol

As a Christian, even mere conversion is by the Holy Spirit. The Devil and his agents, even recognizing the power of God in some cases, have completely denied the power of the Holy Spirit access to the gateway to their souls. Their own case na special one.

Like you encouraged, I'll try and contribute more and learn as well in the process.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by MuttleyLaff: 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2019
okosunehis:
Much thanks. To be getting such commendation from you is a lot. I have tried to share these ideas but sometimes people are so fixated on their beliefs without ever considering anything contrary.

Your issue with animal abilities is appreciated. Laslas, no be everything person fit explain! I was only trying to put such occurrences within the context of the topic in discourse. E get as dog go look person sometimes you go almost dey imagine say na human being eye e get...lol
No matta, how long shotay, dog take look pesin with human being eye reach, las las, dog still na komfam dog. No two ways about that.

There are only incidencts of talking animals in the bible, the first, the serpent and the second the donkey. The serpent talking, was natural, as in talking is by it's nature but the donkey talking, was supernatural, as in talked not because in its nature. The serpent is extinct, doesnt really matter its extinct, because it actually had a complete make up, as in, got tranformed into a totally different animal, the snake. So no more talking serpent(s) and the talking donkey, was a one-off, first and last never repeated talking donkey again.

I'll keep on mentioning that, the only other reservations I had was with a few some parts in the comment: "When animals perform strange or human-like actions in the Bible, it is either they have been possessed by a spirit being or are being controlled by a spirit source. Whether the serpent in the Garden of Eden, to the talking donkey, the spirit of animals can be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man" and that, there are behavioral aberrations noticed in animals, that we human beings quickly put down to, as being due to a demon possession.
1/ To what end or for what purpose, would the spirit of animals be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man?
2/ What part of man, is he possessed with by either the Holy Spirit or demon(s)?. Is it the body, soul or spirit? Or its the entirety?

okosunehis:
As a Christian, even mere conversion is by the Holy Spirit. The Devil and his agents, even recognizing the power of God in some cases, have completely denied the power of the Holy Spirit access to the gateway to their souls. Their own case na special one.
Everything from starts to finish plus all thats in between doesnt get pass the Holy Spirit

okosunehis:
Like you encouraged, I'll try and contribute more and learn as well in the process.
That will be nice, so far, you dont mind, most times to eat alone after dishing out and serving the table.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by ejimatic: 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
ericmor:

It reads behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die

The soul that sinneth. It shall die meaning the one that did not sinneth shall live with the lord
. I was only trying to explain what each of them means not what happens to an erring soul or an obedient soul.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by okosunehis: 4:07pm On Jul 18, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
No matta, how long shotay, dog take look pesin with human being eye reach, las las, dog still na komfam dog. No two ways about that.

Bro, fear dog ooo...lol. I happen to have attended a higher institution where late at night, from about 11pm, you would see animals, mostly dogs and goats moving in groups of twos and threes towards the community town hall. A bit eerie, but factual.

MuttleyLaff:

There are only incidents of talking animals in the bible, the first, the serpent and the second the donkey. The serpent talking, was natural, as in talking is by it's nature but the donkey talking, was supernatural, as in talked not because in its nature. The serpent is extinct, doesnt really matter its extinct, because it actually had a complete make up, as in, got tranformed into a totally different animal, the snake. So no more talking serpent(s) and the talking donkey, was a one-off, first and last never repeated talking donkey again.

I'll keep on mentioning that, the only other reservations I had was with a few some parts in the comment: "When animals perform strange or human-like actions in the Bible, it is either they have been possessed by a spirit being or are being controlled by a spirit source. Whether the serpent in the Garden of Eden, to the talking donkey, the spirit of animals can be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man" and that, there are behavioral aberrations noticed in animals, that we human beings quickly put down to, as being due to a demon possession.
1/ To what end or for what purpose, would the spirit of animals be possessed or controlled by a more powerful spirit just as that of man?
2/ What part of man, is he possessed with by either the Holy Spirit or demon(s)?. Is it the body, soul or spirit? Or its the entirety?

If I get your posit right, the serpent originally possessed the ability to communicate in words, but that creature is extinct today. I don't quite agree with that. The ability to process one's thoughts and articulate by phonation is one of the "god-like" qualities that was bestowed on man during creation. It is the highest form of animal intelligence, which is the power of the spirit that makes it possible for man to dominate other animals. We might not be the strongest, quickest, etc, or have the highest longevity, but man is without doubt the most intelligent. Not even our fellow primates possess this gift, so it is inconceivable that creatures as low as serpents would possess such intelligence. It is in a sense, divine. This intellectual ability not only helps us communicate better, it also helps us reason, store and transfer information more effectively.

So starting with your question 2/, the part that is possessed is the spirit. Using my previous analogy, you can always boost the functionality of softwares or applications on your computer with plug-ins. This does not change their body or structure, nor does it boost their power rating. Similarly, the intelligence of animals, man inclusive, can be possessed by a high-enough spirit intelligence. That is how the Holy Spirit empowers God's servants or people that God wants to use to perform a specific task. The Spirit does not make them grow wings or extra body parts. The Spirit also does not make them immortals. In that sense, neither their body (the physical being) nor their soul (the life force) is affected.

I do not believe for example that all the animals which found their way into Noah's ark acted totally on their volition. There must have been some level of control or instruction that directed them accordingly (if you accept that narrative as is, that is). In this case, the purpose of an influencing spirit would be obvious.

The account of Jesus Christ and the man with an "impure" spirit throws much elucidation on this matter (Mark 5:1-13) Christ, exercising his power, not only exorcised the man of the "legion" spirits, but also commanded the spirits into the about two thousand pigs that were nearby. This action caused the pigs to then run down a steep bank and got drowned in the lake.

About the serpent in the Garden of Eden, it was a familiar sight to Eve in the garden and was already recognized for it's craftiness. When God passed judgement on the serpent, He did not mention withdrawing an ability to speak as a punishment. Whether the serpent, or any other animal created in the garden could talk prior or beyond that incident is not indicated. Putting all available narratives into context, it would be safe to assume contrariwise.

Of course the motive of the serpent was to approach Eve in a familiar appearance and not such that would immediately put her on the defensive. I recently treated a discourse that was focused on "Deconstructing Idealogies of the Enemy" where I delineated the deceptive chain of operation of the Devil. The Devil's agenda is obvious so he's being direct would not achieve a desired effect. He usually operates through agents who then sell endearing idealogies to unsuspecting individuals. After pushing such lofty ideals, then comes a final instruction or message that is in direct conflict to God's word. Two ideologies that softened any resistance Eve could have put up against the serpent's nuances were that on eating the fruit, she would not really die and that she would actually become god-like. That is something that is desirable to the average human of all ages or periods.

The purpose of Balaam's donkey speaking is more obvious so I believe I do not have to elaborate on that.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by CodeTemplar: 9:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
In Gen 1:26,27, God formed man after the image of the holy trinity, male and female. In Gen 2:7 The body was formed and then a soul to connect what was created in chapter 1 verses 26-27 or the spirit.
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by vivipink(f): 11:34am On Jul 19, 2019
Man is a spirit that has a soul and live i a body

The soul is the place of emotions and feelings

The spirit is the inner man that would live forever
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by jude5240(m): 2:37pm On Jul 21, 2019
VRDroid:

It is not really the most important thing.

The most important thing is that you are a potential of the highest intelligence called God trying to reawaken to your greatest version here but you can't . Becausr you are hijacked from alternate dimensions that you are not able to control because you are deceived by inventors of religions that you are just your body. And God is just a big man in the sky you should worship.

And will be burnt in fire or go to heaven. Those are not true. You are here and in other dimensions all at the same time but experiencing this one because you have no knowledge on how to access the other realities to defend yourself and create the realities you need here physically.

Humanity has been hijacked from the alternate dimensions by my brothers in the highest level of the Illumination.

While you are asleep your Soul is paramulating from place to place and sometimes it is being fuccked up badly due to its low vibratiob which manifests as suffering here on 3D.

Man know thyself. Master the Universe and you will be wise enough to build generational wealth and even live to over 100 years with solid erection to enjoy the slay queens. The slay queens by the way are you in different bodies cos you are spirit and can exist in different bodies and in what ever form.

You are the Universe in a condensed self conscious form. So am I. The difference is that I know this and have experienced it but you are not yet awakened. Do I can play you if I choose to. It is allowed.

grin

How many levels of illumination are there?

Who are your brothers?

#fringe
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by jude5240(m): 3:02pm On Jul 21, 2019
VRDroid:

I will provide you the wire instruction of my favourite Charity organisations. When I know you are serious.
hmm
Re: What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? by jude5240(m): 3:05pm On Jul 21, 2019
VRDroid:

With $2000 You will be assigned invisible teachers and super soldiers that continue the lessons nightly in your dream and super soldiers activated with secret chant password if you need to psychic warriors of the highest order.

It's now $2000 per hour
I've read the novel 'Psychic Warrior'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lucifer Is Fallen And Doomed! So Are Satanists/atheist On Nairaland & Beyond!! / Nigerian Guy Replies Church That Asked God To Change Their Smell / Why Did You Become An Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.