Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,821 members, 7,831,676 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport (1051 Views)

Lady, Her Family Fly Airpeace From Gatwick London To Lagos With Expired Passport / Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport / Pilot Flying With Expired Medical Certificate Loses Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Nikegenius(f): 1:54am On Jun 26, 2019
Hi Guys,

I want to know if a Nigerian can travel to Nigeria with expired passport. Can I purchase a Delta ticket with expired passport, and will I be allowed into Nigeria with it?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Freestainworld(m): 3:20am On Jun 26, 2019
Abeg go and renew your passport before they eat your money.

1 Like

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Zuluhead(m): 4:58am On Jun 26, 2019
you either renew your pasport or ask for a travel certificate if you have to return urgently from the nigerian consutlate over there....TC (travel certificate)

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Nikegenius(f): 1:59pm On Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for the responses.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Tats(m): 4:37pm On Jun 26, 2019
Yes, you can and only on the condition that you have a valid foreign passport together with the expired Nigerian passport. The airline should know this but its not all their staff that are aware of this rule given by Nigeria.

I have done it before and here is what happened to me. I renewed my passport but kept the new one and old ones as a bunch. I was travelling to Nigeria and picked the one on the top of the bunch thinking that it was the latest one only to get to the check in counter at London Heathrow airport and was asked where my latest passport was. I then realised i took the wrong one and wanted to go back home as i calculated i could get back on time but the lady at the check in desk said that I should go and rebook for another day and referred me to another desk. The lady at this desk was surprised that the other lady did not check me in as she saw that I also had a British passport. She called someone else to reconfirm and that one checked something and got back to her saying that he is allowed to travel as per Nigerian law. Anyway, she checked me in. At the boarding gate, they asked me for my recent passport and I told them that I was allowed based on the rule that I had a valid foreign passport so I got to travel. In Abuja, they asked me for my passport and I gave them the expired one and told them what the law says. Well, they said that they couldn't stamp my passport as it was expired and couldn't stamp my foreign passport as I did not have visa in it and very unusual and surprising, they let me go!

On my way back, immigration asked me and i told them what happened and they said ok, stamped my British passport as I was departing based on that one and said anything for the boys? grin

3 Likes

Re: Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Nikegenius(f): 2:26am On Jun 28, 2019
Tats, thanks for your detailed response. It’s much appreciated.

I don’t have another passport so I’ve decided to get a new one here. I’m short on time and the appointment date I got is mid-August. I’ll try to reschedule to an earlier date if possible.

Thanks again.
Re: Traveling To Nigeria With Expired Passport by Vester48(m): 5:05am On Jun 28, 2019
Nikegenius:
Tats, thanks for your detailed response. It’s much appreciated.

I don’t have another passport so I’ve decided to get a new one here. I’m short on time and the appointment date I got is mid-August. I’ll try to reschedule to an earlier date if possible.

Thanks again.

Go for a travel certificate. It's hassle-free and time-saving, depending on your location.

(1) (Reply)

- / See The Driverless Railway Line That Has Conveyed Over 1.5B Riders In 10 Years / !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.