Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu (7736 Views)

When Will Igbos Come To D Economic Rescue Of Nigeria / Ex-Abia Finance Commissioner, Oriaku 'Dancing Naked In Market Square', By Nnamdi / NL Akwaibomites And Igbos Come In Here.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 7:16am On Jun 26, 2019
Here is what I think.
First Iam 55years old and was an infant during the first
Ojukwu led Biafra.
Having since done some research on the Ojukwu led Biafra here is what I learnt:

At the time 30th May 1967 that the Republic of Biafra was declared, the following were the facts on ground:

The Federal Republic of Nigeria of which Igboland was a territory was under the military rule of General Gowon, A Northerner who overthrew the previous military ruler General Ironsi in a bloody coup that assassinated General Ironsi and many other Igbo military officers.

Major General Ojukwu was the military Chief administering the Eastern region of the federal government of Nigeria at the time.

He was fully trained in warfare and I believe had served in military mission in war zone at home and abroad (UN peace keeping).

For most of the 11 months since Gowon had assumed power, a massacre of Igbos had been taking place not only in Northern States but also in Lagos and West. And Gowon had been unwilling or unable to bring these massacres to an end.

Ojukwu had exhausted all diplomatic options available to him in bring the crisis of the killings Igbos all over the country to an end; including sending envoys to meet General Gowon to persuade him to do whatever is necessary to stop Igbo massacres.

A summit with Gowon in Aburi Ghana took place and both of them reached an agreement known as the Aburi Accord, which was a plan to restructure Nigeria into a confederation and take steps to end ethinic tribal violence and killings.

Ojukwu in the face of unending massacres of Igbos had given Gowon's Federal govt an ultimatum by which time the Aburi Accord would begin to be implemented and Igbo killings brought to an end. Gowon seemed on able or unwilling to implement the Aburi Accord.

The Igbo masses were now pressuring Ojukwu to do something to save Igbo lives in the face of continued killings.

Ojukwu consulted Igbo Elders, Traditional rulers , Statemen and Heads of judiciary both current and retired, they gave him the mandate to declare the independent Republic of Biafra on May 30th 1967. I was 3 years old.

Ojukwu had complete backing of 100% of The Igbo population and had command over all existing Igbo military personnel and weapons and ammunition and machinery already in Igboland.

In an emotion- causing part of his speech as he declared the independent Republic of Biafra he addressed those Igbos still running for their lives, telling them to stay strong and to be assured that once they can cross that line in the land they will be safe from massacre.

I am getting emotional now. Will be back.

Ojukwu then remain in the trenches with the troops for almost 3 years before Biafra was defeated by Gowon 's Nigerian troops who had the Support from UK , US , Russia (Soviet Union), and of course all ty the other tribal groups of the federation.

An estimated 1million Igbo lives were lost; a fair proportion of those died of starvation as Nigerian forces closed off off all ports and roads to supply us with food.

Ojukwu went into exile after the war ended and Igbo people returned to the rule of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

I was 6 years old by that time and old enough to understand and remember that the overwhelming mood of the Igbo people at that time, was relief that our suffering was over and that we had survived the war.

For his leadership Ojukwu remains an irrevocable leader and father in Igbo hearts and on his return from exile in 1983, he urged Igbos to accept Nigeria and work hard get their share of opportunities within federal Nigeria.

Chief Ojukwu died in 2011 age 78 having himself reintegrated into Nigeria's democratic system and even sought elected office.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 7:23am On Jun 26, 2019
Ok

So when Ojukwu declared for Biafra:

He had exhausted diplomatic options.

Ongoing massive Igbo killings all over Nigeria made it urgent decision to make.

He was already a ruler of entire Igboland and had 100% support of the Igbo population.

He was Military chief capable of conducting warfare if necessary.

He had command and control of all Igbo military personnel machinery, weapons and ammunition.

Yet it was not a decision he took lightly, with the urgency created by massacres of our people he still sought and received the approval of our Royal fathers ,elders, statement and heads judiciaries in our region.

3 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by goodnessme1(f): 8:01am On Jun 26, 2019
I love mazi Nnamdi Kanu.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by PFRB: 8:28am On Jun 26, 2019
Nigeria is getting ready to massacre Igbos again.
Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 9:57am On Jun 26, 2019
Question I would like to ask my dear Igbo family is:
Was Ojukwu justified in declaring Biafra?

Yes , I believe he was absolutely justified given the ongoing massacres of our people at the time and failure of Gowon's Federal govt to end the killings.

Now getting to Nnamdi Kanu

Tbc

1 Like

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 10:05am On Jun 26, 2019
Family please assist me with some answers to these questions:
What do we know about Nnamdi Kanu?
What qualifications or leadership experience does he have?

1 Like

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 10:07am On Jun 26, 2019
Brb
Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 10:07am On Jun 26, 2019
Brb
Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Afospecialk: 10:14am On Jun 26, 2019
Ok
Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Afospecialk: 10:18am On Jun 26, 2019
oalandAgents2:
Ok

So when Ojukwu declared for Biafra:

He had exhausted diplomatic options.

Ongoing massive Igbo killings all over Nigeria made it urgent decision to make.

He was already a ruler of entire Igboland and had 100% support of the Igbo population.

He was Military chief capable of conducting warfare if necessary.

He had command and control of all Igbo military personnel machinery, weapons and ammunition.

Yet it was not a decision he took lightly, with the urgency created by massacres of our people he still sought and received the approval of our Royal fathers ,elders, statement and heads judiciaries in our region.

Nigeria just started massacre of our people for no reason ?

shocked am I missing something here ?

2 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Morenikeji070: 10:19am On Jun 26, 2019
Lol una better go find job do

2 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by kingzizzy: 10:29am On Jun 26, 2019
Afospecialk:

Yes you missing something, you miss the fact that you are asking a stupid question

No massacre of people is justified. So looking for the reason behind the massacre is a waste of time

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by kingzizzy: 10:37am On Jun 26, 2019
oalandAgents2:

There is a difference between Nnamdi Kanu and Ojukwu. Ojukwu was a political leader, head of state and freedom fighter

Nnamdi Kanu neither seeks political power nor does he want to lead any nation. He is simply a freedom agitator. So asking what leadership experience Kanu has is of no use.

Anybody or group is allowed to agitate for freedom or self determination, it is codified in international law.

It was the same international law that people like Zik and Awolowo used to agitate for Nigerias independence from Britain

So asking about Kanu, his background or what type of boxers he wears is not what matters. What matters is if he represents the majority view of his people

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 10:42am On Jun 26, 2019
There's never any justifiable reason for taking innocent lives or massacring people. The only point you need to note was massacres were taking place and were on-going.
Afospecialk:

1 Like

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by food4tot: 10:44am On Jun 26, 2019
My people, before you get too far into deliberations on Nnamdi Kanu. I know you all want to be independent people.
But the the question is this: Independent from what?

From the day we are born to the day we die, we'll always have people we don't agree with.

Even a little kid without money wants to be independent and move out of the house.

When will you consider yourself to have achieved your goal?

When you are independent from Nigeria?
When you are independent from other ethnic groups in Biafra?
When you are independent from other igbo groups that speak a different dialect?
When you are independent from members of your village?
When you are independent from your family?
When you are dead and gone?

My opinion is this, don't fight for independence, there is no such thing in this world. Rather fight for peace and a good life for your generations and those after you.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by CyynthiaKiss(f): 10:58am On Jun 26, 2019
food4tot:
My people, before you get too far into deliberations on Nnamdi Kanu. I know you all want to be independent people.

From the day we are born to the day we die, we'll always have people we don't agree with.

Even a little kid without money wants to be independent and move out of the house.

When will consider yourself to have achieved your goal?

My opinion is this, don't fight for independence, there is no such thing in this world. Rather fight for peace and a good life for your generations and those after you.

You go fight for peace tire in this Naija..
Please say something intelligent.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Sofistcatdmoron: 11:02am On Jun 26, 2019
My mgbati mgbati sons of Afonja morons will flood here soon
Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by kingzizzy: 11:06am On Jun 26, 2019
food4tot:

When will consider yourself to have achieved your goal?

This is how a slave reasons

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by food4tot: 11:21am On Jun 26, 2019
kingzizzy:

This is how a slave reasons

There are people who like being kings in the slum, that might be how you reason but it's not for me.
No my friend, I'm just someone who doesn't mind being an ordinary person in a tolerant and prosperous society.

4 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by food4tot: 11:26am On Jun 26, 2019

Let me rephrase that a bit before I get misunderstood.

The goal is peace and a good life, if the only way to achieve it is by fighting for independence then we are on the same page.
As long as the end goal is the same.

Unfortunately, the problem is that fighting a war is not always the best way to achieve that goal.

1 Like

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Bridget95(f): 11:29am On Jun 26, 2019
PFRB:
Nigeria is getting ready to massacre Igbos again.
it is your tribe not igbos.

2 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Unik3030: 11:34am On Jun 26, 2019
oalandAgents2:
Question I would like to ask my dear Igbo family is:
Was Ojukwu justified in declaring Biafra?

Yes , I believe he was absolutely justified given the ongoing massacres of our people at the time and failure of Gowon's Federal govt to end the killings.

Now getting to Nnamdi Kanu

Tbc
sir, I commend u for this great write up but I will like u to enlighten me on what led to the massacre of igbos, or did they just wake up one day n started killing the igbos?

2 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by Unik3030: 11:36am On Jun 26, 2019
kingzizzy:

Yes you missing something, you miss the fact that you are asking a stupid question

No massacre of people is justified. So looking for the reason behind the massacre is a waste of time
bro,u are being emotional here, don't forget to every action there is an equal n opposite reaction. so kindly tell us what led to the massacre instead of trying to make us believe that they just woke up someday n started killing the igbos for no reason

2 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by helinues: 12:05pm On Jun 26, 2019
I always try to avoid Biafra issues cos people who are not on the same page with you always take it wrongly. But let me make my own contributions towards achieving it.

I am taking Ojukwu and Kanu out of the pictures.

There is an adage in my region " If you are not yet in possession of the golden sword, never ask about the person whom killed your father.

The manner and approach SE are currently going about Biafra can't be achieved even in 100 years time.

In Nigeria, each regions have their own versions of what transpired during the civil war, if I should believe our own versions, then Igbos are the betrayal but that's probably the motives of the writer from my region.. Which I believe same things happened to other stories from other regions.

All regions are claiming innocents, while we pretend to be one Nigeria even though no single trusts among each other.

Ndigbo needs a regional new party. Moderate Igbo should lead the party not any of this current politicians..

The current Igbo leaders and politicians can not negotiate anything on behalf of Igbo except what's going to benefits them.

The truth and honest is Igbos are creative and successful if whatever they do.. If they can replicate same back at home, build your region, invite investors at the same time making underground move about how to achieve biafra..

At least after 2 elections cycle, even if Biafra was yet to be achieved, presidency aspiration should be high, restructuring Nigeria supposed to be another certain agenda..

Let me add, you cant get biafra by thinking everybody is your enemy.. If that's the thought, remember you are also enemy to your enemies..

All the best

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 12:10pm On Jun 26, 2019
It is irrelevant, the point that needed to be made was that Igbos were being massacred, this thread is simply trying to highlight the situation on ground that made the Igbos take the decision to unilaterally declare the independent Republic of Biafra.

I cannot even answer the question even if I wanted to because as a victim, I can only second guess or speculate on the motives of the perpetrators of the massacres which would likely vary from one region to another.
The main thing to understand that there is no justifiable reason ever of massacre of innocent men women and children.
Unik3030:
sir, I commend u for this great write up but I will like u to enlighten me on what led to the massacre of igbos, or did they just wake up one day n started killing the igbos?

1 Like

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by superlightning: 12:11pm On Jun 26, 2019
Nnamdi Kanu is a clan prince who graduated from London Metropolitan University. He studied Political Economics.

With the disaffection he gradually developed for the Nigerian Political system and his desire for a better standard of life for eastern Nigeria, he initially moved for the restoration of the defunct regional system of government via MASSOB. This was before 2012, he later opted for biafra unconditionally.

But on seeing the impossibility of the goal partly due to MASSOB leader's (uwazurike's) compromise on the eventual reality of Biafra, and also, the lack of respect for the rule of law towards national equity by Nigerian politicians, he gave up lobbying through Nigeria's politicians.

Then came the formation of IPOB, a registered freedom fighting movement in over 30 countries worldwide and Radio Biafra, the tool he used in propagating the biafran cause.

He didn't force an IPOB establishment... The members naturally followed him. Kanu is bold, assertive, informed and charismatic, these leadership qualities made it easy for him to win followers.

He was arrested and jailed for "hate speech", yet the real agents of division are still out there killing maiming and raping Nigerians.

All he asks for at the moment is a REFERENDUM to conducted to know those wants to remain in Nigeria or opt for biafra. Is that a crime?

He has warned against the herdsmen attack, that was why he instituted a vilgilante group. But lo, dubious Nigerians claim he wants to cause mayhem. Now everyone is weeping with 'style'. Good morning.

I want a United and equitable Nigeria, but what I want does not exist. So, my sweetheart now is biafra and I pray for the day it comes.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by food4tot: 12:29pm On Jun 26, 2019
superlightning:
Nnamdi Kanu is a clan prince who graduated from London Metropolitan University. He studied Political Economics.

With the disaffection he gradually developed for the Nigerian Political system and his desire for a better standard of life for eastern Nigeria, he initially moved for the restoration of the defunct regional system of government via MASSOB. This was before 2012, he later opted for biafra unconditionally.

But on seeing the impossibility of the goal partly due to MASSOB leader's (uwazurike's) compromise on the eventual reality of Biafra, and also, the lack of respect for the rule of law towards national equity by Nigerian politicians, he gave up lobbying through Nigeria's politicians.

Then came the formation of IPOB, a registered freedom fighting movement in over 30 countries worldwide and Radio Biafra, the tool he used in propagating the biafran cause.

He didn't force an IPOB establishment... The members naturally followed him. Kanu is bold, assertive, informed and charismatic, these leadership qualities made it easy for him to win followers.

He was arrested and jailed for "hate speech", yet the real agents of division are still out there killing maiming and raping Nigerians.

All he asks for at the moment is a REFERENDUM to conducted to know those wants to remain in Nigeria or opt for biafra. Is that a crime?

He has warned against the herdsmen attack, that was why he instituted a vilgilante group. But lo, dubious Nigerians claim he wants to cause mayhem. Now everyone is weeping with 'style'. Good morning.

I want a United and equitable Nigeria, but what I want does not exist. So, my sweetheart now is biafra and I pray for the day it comes.

Prince? His father must be a king then.
By the way, it seems your version of IPOB history is a bit different from mine. It's a free world, carry on.
Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by kingzizzy: 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2019
Unik3030:
bro,u are being emotional here, don't forget to every action there is an equal n opposite reaction. so kindly tell us what led to the massacre instead of trying to make us believe that they just woke up someday n started killing the igbos for no reason

Do you care why Boko haram is massacaring people? It can never be justified so there is no point.

When herdsmen go out and massacre communities, nobody cares about the reason because massacre is never justified

Nothing on earth ever justifies the killing of unarmed and defenceless men, women and children. Only a fool will be looking for a reason to justify the mass-murder of people.

6 Likes

Re: IPoB: Igbos come here and discuss Biafra agitation as led by Nnamdi Kanu by oalandAgents2: 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2019
Please my Igbo family why is Nnamdi Kanu's IPOB agitating for freedom? Is he not free?

Somebody else mentioned IPOB is seeking a referendum, but did not state who he is seeking that referendum from.

Is it possible to achieve referendum whilst remaining outside of the politics of the country and existing democratic structures?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Edo, Ondo 2020: IGP orders mop-up of illegal firearms, arrest of offenders / Population Statistics Of Christians & Muslims In Northern Nigeria / All Eyes On The Judiciary Slogan Not Offensive – Atedo Peterside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.