Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) (18389 Views)

APC Shops For Saraki’s Replacement- The Sun Newspaper / New Salaries For Buhari, Ministers, Govs & Others- Sun News / Law And Disorder In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by oyinda3(f): 6:21am On Oct 08, 2010
nobody should argue with Bidemi. all you need to do is check his profile pic to see him in his US army uniform. obviously he has been indoctrinated by his bosses.  tongue

anyways @ topic, nobody said nigeria was perfect but we should ask ourselves what is BBC's aim in trying to show a "law and [i]dis[/i]order" film about nigeria to their citizens?  The media has always existed as an outlet to shape people's opinion. How do you think this documentary and other news about nigeria will shape the average British person's idea of what nigeria is and what a nigerian is? Is this film benefitial or detrimental to us as Nigerians? How? What are the intent of the filmmakers?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by DisGuy: 6:30am On Oct 08, 2010
oyinda.:

nobody should argue with Bidemi. all you need to do is check his profile pic to see him in his US army uniform. obviously he has been indoctrinated by his bosses.  tongue

anyways @ topic, nobody said nigeria was perfect but we should ask ourselves what is BBC's aim in trying to show a "law and [i]dis[/i]order" film about nigeria to their citizens?  The media has always existed as an outlet to shape people's opinion. How do you think this documentary and other news about nigeria will shape the average British person's idea of what nigeria is and what a nigerian is? Is this film benefitial or detrimental to us as Nigerians? How? What are the intent of the filmmakers?

What do you think about Funmi Iyanda's 'My Lagos' produced and edited by her team?

and You know Nigerian films are avaialable worldwide now, How do you think those films with all the money rituals and dodgy police will shape the mind of Ghanains south Africans, Europeans etc etc, are they trying to  discredit us by exporting it or are they a true reflection of the society?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by bidemi12(m): 6:52am On Oct 08, 2010
oyinda.:

Typical Nigerian. never wants to admit the obvious and the glaring truth. hoping christ will come one day to deliver the situation. why ask so many questions knowing the answers to them. i hope and pray for your sake that you are "indoctrinated" too, as you call it, so that your eyes will open and realise how fracked up life is in nigeria. There is nothing okay about sleeping with one eye open at night, giving 20 naira to police openly at every intersection, applauding corrupt politicians, voting and knowing full well your vote wont count and living life just to survive in the midst of plenty. worse still, denying your problems and castigating anybody who tries to make you face them. i wish everybody had a father like mine. one of the most important lessons he taught me was to open my arms to critisisms from others, digest them, discard the ones i believe dont apply to me and rectify the ones that do. you'll be surprised how fast and far you'll grow as an individual. to further the point, i was plesantly surprised to find out that in my proffession you get a monthly criticism from your chain of command called a monthly counseling. This is done to make you face your flaws, commend you on your achievements, help you sustain them and lastly set goals for the next month. This type of leadership style is now very typical in most establishments here. What will we become as individuals, organizations, or society without criticisms. That’s the difference between us an them. They do not like to deceive themselves too much. You should be thankful that bbc is doing this since nobody has the muscle to do it in Nigeria and make government sit up.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 08, 2010
Aso rock would have been the best place.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 08, 2010
I dont know why, but I just hate that picture on the first page.

Something about it irks me
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 08, 2010
Dis Guy:

What do you think about Funmi Iyanda's 'My Lagos' produced and edited by her team?

and You know Nigerian films are avaialable worldwide now, How do you think those films with all the money rituals and dodgy police will shape the mind of Ghanains south Africans, Europeans etc etc, are they trying to  discredit us by exporting it or are they a true reflection of the society?
And suddenly when it becomes a case of obsession,then the objective is monetary considering the size of Nollywood.I have seen the first series being sold by vendors.like I always said,any report/media propaganda against Nigeria has more economical values to the west than really addressing the cause of the problem.Since the welcome to Lagos crap,what has the british done positively to address the issue if not to churn out their normal insults ?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by oyinda3(f): 7:46am On Oct 08, 2010
Dis Guy:

I loved Funmi Iyanda's film!!!! I just watched it. Thnx for posting the link. That's a film that is critical of the wealth inequality that exist but it does so in a way that doesn't disparage the dignity of the nigerian citizen and the country as a whole. yea that can be done and funmi did it in her film!

nollywood also shapes the image of naija abroad soo much it's unbelievable!! I met many africans and it's amazing what the effect of nollywood is on them. It has exposed our culture in negative and positive ways (more positive ways though. imo). the money rituals and 419 portrayal etc being the bad of course. But many of them are obsessed with naija culture and even try to copy the pidgin or sew naija style native wear etc. One was begging me to take her to a naija party and didn't stop talking about it for a week because she has only seen stuff like that in nollywood and apparently it was significant to her that she got to experience it in real life. it really made me think about the huge power media has on people!!!

so in general, we should be very critical of films like these. They are very powerful in shaping people's opinion. it will come back to haunt us if people get just the negative messages about us. So, I'm not too excited about this "law and disorder" film that's for sure.

~Bluetooth:

And suddenly when it becomes a case of obsession,then the objective is monetary considering the size of Nollywood.I have seen the first series being sold by vendors.like I always said,any report/media propaganda against Nigeria has more economical values to the west than really addressing the cause of the problem.Since the welcome to Lagos crap,what has the british done positively to address the issue if not to churn out their normal insults ?

excellent point!!!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by amakaudeze: 7:52am On Oct 08, 2010
see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html to join the 1 million posts against IBB
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by nateevs(m): 7:55am On Oct 08, 2010
@Kobojunkie. . .

I really cannot believe this. . . . In your words, "LONDON GHETTOS are 100 times better than POSH PLACES in Lagos". Those were your words, I didn't make them up. Now you found out you goofed and you are gently changing the subject of your opinion. Lady, you've been found out.

Is Ajegunle a posh place in Lagos? Did BBC's Welcome to Lagos portray Lagos's posh places? So where from the sudden change.

I will help you. Just say OK. . .I meant to say as bad as the ghettos are in[b] London[/b], they are still 100 times better than the[b] ghettos in Lagos.[/b] Everyone will clap for you. . . Genius observation!

But to stand on what you said previously is ridiculous. I take it as you have never been to/don't know Ghettos in London, posh place in Lagos or you don't know what posh/ghetto means whichever applies.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by kashmo: 8:02am On Oct 08, 2010
Staying tuned to this cheesy Roll on, BBC!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by wale4x35(m): 9:23am On Oct 08, 2010
Aso rock would have been the best place.

Another dump post - BBC I beg carry on.  My DSTV remote is already auto-tuned to Sunday.

BBC - Please next time, visit Ibadan and expose what used to be the largest city in West Africa.

The more you do this, the clearer the message to those God forsaken politicians.

Peace
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Kennyblues(m): 9:37am On Oct 08, 2010
What about this on the street of Lagos wink wink wink
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by debosky(m): 9:44am On Oct 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

They have issued Vocal Slender a visa to come and 'enjoy' better life in London.  grin grin

But seriously, WHY are the British supposed to DO anything positive to address the issue? Shouldn't Nigeria/Nigerians do something positive to address the situation, then INVITE the British back to see the transformation in Lagos?  

We should be taking the opportunity to turn it into a 'before' and 'after' story.

Showing those kids not going to school now in school, showing those areas without sanitation now having toilts, showing those guys taking undue risks to dig for sand given some basic personal protective equipment. . . that's what WE should be doing not waiting for the Brits to solve a problem that isn't theirs in the first place.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 9:53am On Oct 08, 2010
As usual my people up in arms with problem that we so happen to create, and BBC merely pointed camera and filmed.

They are a media outlet and doing what they are supposed to do - Investigate and report!

I have a very provoking thought though, if you are mad at the BBC, please starve them of things to report and fix the country. No?

PS

In other more important news, Fela the Musical hits the streets of London. Abeg go watch am.  grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527500.0.html
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by anonimi: 9:54am On Oct 08, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by anonimi: 10:03am On Oct 08, 2010
debosky:

They have issued Vocal Slender a visa to come and 'enjoy' better life in London. grin grin

But seriously, WHY are the British supposed to DO anything positive to address the issue? Shouldn't Nigeria/Nigerians do something positive to address the situation, then INVITE the British back to see the transformation in Lagos?

We should be taking the opportunity to turn it into a 'before' and 'after' story.

Showing those kids not going to school now in school, showing those areas without sanitation now having toilts, showing those guys taking undue risks to dig for sand given some basic personal protective equipment. . . that's what WE should be doing not waiting for the Brits to solve a problem that isn't theirs in the first place.

ElRazur:

As usual my people up at arms with problem that we so happened to create, and BBC merely pointed camera and filmed.

They are a media outlet and doing what they are supposed to do - Investigate and report!

I have a very provoking thought though, if you are mad at the BBC, please starve them of things to report and fix the country. No?

big up, thanks and 3 gbosas for both posts.
when we have a critical mass of nigerians thinking this way then we will be asking our leaders looters serious questions rather than giving them a free ride to OUR money.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by superstar1(m): 10:06am On Oct 08, 2010
We should all get something right, it is high time we stop this stupid whites to define what is good and what is bad, They are worse off in every area you want to look at. We are not disputing it, 9ja might not be the best place to live (no more a news) but definately it is not a Mogadishu,Kabul,Baghadad and even the notorious parts of London or New York. This is what China refused the western media to do to them and whether they like it or not China is a worldpower. we were colonised in the 18th century we should not allow it to continue far deep into the 21st century, Yes we have a problem, we are not disputing but trying to celebrate and make it look as if they are better off is an abberration, are they not corrupt,dont they have ghettos, I beg BBC and CNN should keep themselves busy by focusing on the impact of the recession on their citizenry and the stupid wars they arewasting their resources to fight all over the world, Proudly 9ja
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Aussienavy: 10:08am On Oct 08, 2010
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:11am On Oct 08, 2010
superstar1:

We should all get something right, it is high time we stop this silly whites to define what is good and what is bad, They are worse off in every area you want to look at. We are not disputing it, 9ja might not be the best place to live (no more a news) but definately it is not a Mogadishu,Kabul,Baghadad and even the notorious parts of London or New York. This is what China refused the western media to do to them and whether they like it or not China is a worldpower. we were colonised in the 18th century we should not allow it to continue far deep into the 21st century, Yes we have a problem, we are not disputing but trying to celebrate and make it look as if they are better off is an abberration, are they not corrupt,dont they have ghettos, I beg BBC and CNN should keep themselves busy by focusing on the impact of the recession on their citizenry and the silly wars they arewasting their resources to fight all over the world, Proudly 9ja

I stopped taking your post serious after the bolded part.

Keep avoiding the problem at hand and blame it all on the white man. Funny enough, you are here using a "white man/western" invention - Internet! smh. Keep taking.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by superstar1(m): 10:21am On Oct 08, 2010
@ ElRazur

See down there and let them keep bombarding your mind with the image of you are not as good as them, na u sabi. If i like i can even use the Queen's crown to browse, they stole and plundered our land, they took our forefathers as slaves to their land, let them use their brain to develop things, baba God will give us money in 9ja to buy it, I still stand on my point they are simply assoles,
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:25am On Oct 08, 2010
superstar1:

@ ElRazur

See down there and let them keep bombarding your mind with the image of you are not as good as them, na u sabi. If i like i can even use the Queen's crown to browse, they stole and plundered our land, they took our forefathers as slaves to their land, let them use their brain to develop things, baba God will give us money in 9ja to buy it, I still stand on my point they are simply assoles,

So you failed to address the issue we cause, but blame those who pointed at the issue? Nice. Is your hobby "Nigerian politics" by any chance?

It is weird how you have turned this into "we v them". Seriously, how do you do it? undecided Look, if "we" fixed our back yard, then there wont be something for "them" to report. Seriously, how hard is this to understand?

Like I said, keep talking.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by bidemi12(m): 10:26am On Oct 08, 2010
superstar1:

@ ElRazur

Everyone i have ever met who has used the past as an excuse for not moving foward has always stayed stagnant in the past.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2010
debosky:

They have issued Vocal Slender a visa to come and 'enjoy' better life in London.  grin grin

Showing those kids not going to school now in school, showing those areas without sanitation now having toilts, showing those guys taking undue risks to dig for sand given some basic personal protective equipment. . . that's what WE should be doing not waiting for[b] the Brits to solve a problem that isn't theirs in the first place.
[/]
The british are responsible for a large percentage of our problems;that's a long story and a story for another day.however,they would have proferred a solution by joining hands with the nigeria government on the way forward.The british media are showing the bad stuff caused by our stup!d politicians but the same british media refused to investigate and show us Nigeria stolen money deposited in their banks cuz the money is being used to oil their own economy.
They have always turn a blind eye to the injustice done to democracy all these while cum the military interference,so why should they be concerned now ?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by tundejayz: 10:37am On Oct 08, 2010
why ?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by superstar1(m): 10:38am On Oct 08, 2010
get what i am saying, there will always be issues in every country, Why has US not reached a state of Utopia, simply because no society can be perfect. Learn something from the Chinese, they shaped their present and future from their past without allowing anyone to dictate to them.We africans should learn something from that, and shape our future and it is not when someone calls us devil,barbaric and we should be nodding our heads in agreement like Agama Lizard,

We have issues to resolve.yes. It is no more news. It is the British press support for a change that we need not their negativism and junk journalism.

That is the point.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 08, 2010
oyinda.:

nobody should argue with Bidemi. all you need to do is check his profile pic to see him in his US army uniform. obviously he has been indoctrinated by his bosses.  tongue
Well he has obviously bought into this idea that the usa is the number one country in the world which is all well and good. The problem here is that all too often these naturalized yanks often develop a concommitant contempt for their country of origin again no thanks to dumbed-down simplistic Yankee TV networks.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 08, 2010
tundejayz:

why ?
The same shiot we've always known ''KOLOMENTALITY''
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:46am On Oct 08, 2010
superstar1:

get what i am saying, there will always be issues in every country, Why has US not reached a state of Utopia, simply because no society can be perfect. Learn something from the Chinese, they shaped their present and future from their past without allowing anyone to dictate to them.We africans should learn something from that, and shape our future and it is not when someone calls us devil,barbaric and we should be nodding our heads in agreement like Agama Lizard,

We have issues to resolve.yes. It is no more news. It is the British press support for a change that we need not their negativism and junk journalism.

That is the point.

No one can reach a state of utopia. smh. There are however, expected levels of development from each and every nation. It is fair to say Nigeria should be further up the line in terms of development, after all using nations like Malaysia and Ghana (who had independence in the same decade as naija) are progressing relatively well BETTER than naija.

Sometimes, it is necessary for others to point out flaws in order to fix them. How long have we been talking about Nigeria's poor state of affairs? (Corruption, power struggle etc) Long enough if you ask me and no major improvement seem to be coming forward.

Listen, it is very simple. A Yoruba proverb says "If you do not want your belongings to be use as a rag, then you do not use it in a manner that suggest it is one". My point? We gave them the chance to say all of these, after all Nigeria's government could tackle some of the issues that plagues the nation but for some reasons, they are yet to do some of this.

Remember when India was slacking on the poor state of affairs over the commonwealth venues and what not, a quick damning report all around the world media and press sees India authorities putting things right or at least acceptable. However in the case of naija, this is not the first time we have had bad press, we just appear to be resistant to development and just seem to divert attention and blame others for problems we caused. (Something you are doing right now)
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by bidemi12(m): 10:51am On Oct 08, 2010
tensor777:

Well he has obviously bought into this idea that the usa is the number one country in the world which is all well and good. The problem here is that all too often these naturalized yanks often develop a concommitant contempt for their country of origin again no thanks to dumbed-down simplistic Yankee TV networks.

Being perfect? nope, not at all. they still have a long way to go. and guess what? they are always finetuning ways to be perfect. and yes they are the number one country in the world as far as i am concerned. wait until you experience true freedom then you will understand. i am not talking about the freedom to throw trash on the streets or loot public funds but to live as a human being.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ElRazur: 10:52am On Oct 08, 2010
bidemi12:

Nope, not at all. they still have a long way to go. and guess what? they are always finetuning ways to be perfect. and yes they are the number one country in the world as far as i am concerned. wait until you experience true freedom then you will understand. i am not talking about the freedom to throw trash on the streets or loot public funds but to live as a human being.

You don kolo. grin grin
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by bidemi12(m): 10:54am On Oct 08, 2010
ElRazur:

You don kolo. grin grin

yes ooo.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by husseinmm: 11:52am On Oct 08, 2010
shocked
Infact I can't believe what bbc repoter is doing in lagos, let call our government to react on what bbc is doing, so that, they would't just write rubish on our derling country NIGERIA, NIGERIA is a graet nation so that we can just sit down and one stupid reporter came all away from brithish and say what ever he like, don't mind them, they parliament is there where every day, they changing their top official, they did't have anything to say about that, rather they will come to Nigeria and rubish. God will punish them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Possible Rift In Boko Haram / Falana Demands Identity Of VIP Who Closed Abuja Airspace For 30 Mins / Benue House Of Assembly Ends In A Rowdy Session Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.