Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) (18390 Views)

APC Shops For Saraki’s Replacement- The Sun Newspaper / New Salaries For Buhari, Ministers, Govs & Others- Sun News / Law And Disorder In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by martinosi: 8:18pm On Oct 09, 2010
Hmm the Documentary has not even aired yet and people online in the forum
are already arguing

Where is the constructive critism instead of all these arguments which is just a way
for some people to release the stress of their chest !

Question - Somebody asked if the BBC was seperate from the British Government?

Answer
- Follow the money - The BBC is funded by TV License fee's that are paid by individuals that
own TV sets in the UK and its the Govt that indirectly helps with the collection of these fee's
so the are colloborating behind "closed Doors"

Question - Somebody Also asked if the BBC was a propaganda tools of the British Govt?

Answer - The BBC is a tool in the hands of "the Elite that control it"
and is a tool used to programme the minds of UK & Non UK individuals
world wide - Period!

Question - Are major New/Media Networks tools of Propaganda

Your Guess is as good as mine, Someone is always trying to mold someones mind
everytime a TV Set is switched on!!!

See Link Below - Managed News Inside the US/NATO Military Industrial Media Empire"
with Dr. Peter Phillips of Project Censored

kpfa.org/archive/id/64324
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by cap28: 10:51pm On Oct 09, 2010
martinosi:

Hmm the Documentary has not even aired yet and people online in the forum
are already arguing

Where is the constructive critism instead of all these arguments with is just a way
for some people to release the stress of their chest !

Question - Somebody asked if the BBC was seperate from the British Government?

Answer
- Follow the money - The BBC is funded by TV License fee's that are paid by individuals that
own TV sets in the UK and its the Govt that indirectly helps with the collection of these fee's
so the are colloborating behind "closed Doors"

Question - Somebody Also asked if the BBC was a propaganda tools of the British Govt?

Answer - The BBC is a tool in the hands of "the Elite that control it"
and is a tool used to programme the minds of UK & Non UK individuals
world wide - Period!

Question - Are major New/Media Networks tools of Propaganda

Your Guess is as good as mine, Someone is always trying to mold someones mind
everytime a TV Set is switched on!!!

See Link Below - Managed News Inside the US/NATO Military Industrial Media Empire"
with Dr. Peter Phillips of Project Censored

kpfa.org/archive/id/64324

martinosi thanks for posting that link which im listening to right now, its very informative, if you can,  try and read Manufacturing Consent by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky -  it highlights the fact that the western corporate media are  profit-driven institutions, whose main objective is to  serve and further the agendas of the interests of dominant, elite groups in society, it will open your eyes to who is controlling the world and why, dont miss it, its a very  important book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent:_The_Political_Economy_of_the_Mass_Media
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by faithin9ja: 11:56pm On Oct 09, 2010
Louis Theroux investigates just who wields the power on the streets of Lagos in Nigeria - and it's not the police.

By the standards of Lagos the house is palatial.

Set over three floors, it stands behind an electric gate protecting the shiny new cars parked in the drive, one of them a Hummer. Inside, the walls are hung with large photos in gilt frames depicting the owner, a handsome young Nigerian. In several he stands next to famous city dignitaries.

Continue reading the main story
In today's Magazine

Which country has the best brains?
Quiz - spot Zuckerberg lookalike
The fight against clothes line bans
The fairest fair of them all
Elsewhere there are flat-screen TVs, marble-tiled walls, even a small private mosque. But if anything gives the sense of someone with a taste for the finer things in life, it's the collection of designer shoes in his penthouse suite, 50 or 60 pairs filling one corner.

The man whose house it is goes by several monikers, the simplest being "MC". On a tour of the property, accompanied by MC and his enthusiastic young aide Mammok, I remarked on the abundance of shoes.

"He's a very fashionable person," says Mammok, as MC nodded approvingly. "And he does his shopping in Italy."

Considering his glamorous and upscale existence, MC's day job is surprisingly prosaic. Officially, he is an executive in the city's transportation union. With between 15 and 17 million residents - most of whom do not own a private vehicle - Lagos's buses are its lifeblood.

Each bus conductor has to pay union dues every day for the right to use the bus parks, as do the city's thousands of motorbike taxis and other commercial vehicles. This money is handled by the union, of which MC is the Lagos State Treasurer.

Click to play

Click to play

Louis Theroux runs into trouble as he attends a march to celebrate elections in Lagos, Nigeria
This on its own would guarantee MC a decent income. But in the area of Lagos over which MC has direct control - a rowdy, bustling district called Oshodi - he is much more than simply a union boss, something closer to a king - raising unofficial and semi-legal tolls on all those who want to do business, and ruling it, so the stories go, with an army of battle-ready youths.

Legend

I'd got to know MC as part of a documentary called Law and Disorder in Lagos, in which I was hoping to understand how power is exercised and order kept in one of Africa's most chaotic big cities. For me, MC seemed an exemplar of a certain kind of charismatic and informal authority, and I was trying to understand the man and the source of his power.

Of his glamorous, celebrity-type existence, there was much evidence. Always decked out in fashionable clothes, a hat cocked at a jaunty angle, he'd arrive at a smart social function, or possibly a celebration at a local mosque, donate thick wads of cash. Then he'd leave amid a mini-riot of local youths, all clamouring for a glimpse of the man and, if possible, a hand-out.

MC's generosity was legendary. Indeed, one member of his entourage was a Nollywood [the term for Nigeria's domestic film-making business] actor of some fame - on MC's payroll, seemingly, because he was having difficulty finding work.

MC's ordinary-sounding job title belies the power he wields
What was harder to see and understand was the use MC made of the armies of semi-employed youths, known as "area boys". Though MC was an elected official in a legitimate institution, it was widely understood that his position in the union owed as much to his ability to control the streets and command the respect of local toughs who would do his bidding.

Within his domain it was hard to overestimate the power of MC. He was even rumoured to have the ear of the Lagos top man, Governor Fashola.

One afternoon, MC's aide Mammok agreed to show me around the area MC controlled. He pointed out a pair of young men entrusted with taking cash from motorbike taxis. One obligingly showed me the day's takings, a wad folded in his palm.

Then he introduced me to a woman stall holder selling a small pile of goods on a blanket. When I asked if she knew MC she looked rather frightened and shook her head.

"It's more of a political thing," says Mammok, explaining her reticence. "You wouldn't expect her to tell you that. They have to play politics."

Blood

I'd been told that one of the services MC provided to the business-owners on his patch was "protection". But protection from whom? "The police cannot harass them," says Mammok. "That is the primary thing. Sometimes - all over the world - the police can be very very overzealous."

As time went on, and I came to know MC and his organisation better, I got more of these glimpses of the shadowy, less strictly legal side of his world.

As it happened, a few days into my visit, MC's status as union treasurer was challenged by political rivals and he was forced to call an election to reaffirm his position.

Continue reading the main story
Find out more

Watch Louis Theroux's report on Lagos on BBC Two at 2100 on Sunday 10 October, or find out more by clicking the link below
Louis Theroux - Law and Disorder in Lagos
On the day of voting, I turned up at the polls to find a ragtag army of MC's supporters, some holding broken bottles, with blood running from fresh cuts, as they jogged along behind his four-by-four in support.

Skirmishes were reported - an opposition gang was rumoured to be in the area - which may explain why someone began firing a shotgun from MC's car. And yet the whole election had a touch of absurdity to it, given no other candidate had the courage - or possibly the opportunity - to come forward. MC had run unopposed.

I relaxed afterwards at the victory celebrations, which were no less jolly for having been a foregone conclusion. Police in uniform drank beer and one drunkenly fired his pistol in the air.

'Private fiefdom'

Mammok was - understandably - protective of MC's reputation and not keen to talk about the occasional need to rely on street violence or the details of a business that, viewed unkindly, was a glorified protection racket.

Thousands of motorbike taxis fill the streets of Lagos
"The ways of the Caribbeans are not the ways of the Americans," he says when I probed him on the subject. "It has become like a way of life in this part of the world."

When I asked him if it seemed a good system to him to have someone in charge of an area holding a king-like sway over his private fiefdom, he compared MC with the Queen of England, suggesting MC was not so different.

The truth is, in my time with him, I'd grown oddly fond of MC. Granted, the occasional street brawls and the lack of accountability might be taken as a frightening and perhaps depressing symptom of the weakness of the social contract in Lagos.

But in the absence of dependable police, MC and his boys did actually seem to do the job of keeping law and order - up to a point anyway.

For now it may be that in areas like Oshodi, MC and his brand of area boy-based authority are the best they can hope for.

Louis Theroux article on the forth coming programme
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by martinosi: 6:18pm On Oct 10, 2010
cap28:

martinosi thanks for posting that link which im listening to right now, its very informative, if you can,  try and read Manufacturing Consent by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky -  it highlights the fact that the western corporate media are  profit-driven institutions, whose main objective is to  serve and further the agendas of the interests of dominant, elite groups in society, it will open your eyes to who is controlling the world and why, dont miss it, its a very  important book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent:_The_Political_Economy_of_the_Mass_Media

Thanks cap28, i been studying Norm Chomsky work for some time, I have the book "Hegemony or Survival"
by norm chomsky.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by martinosi: 6:30pm On Oct 10, 2010
cap28:

Kobojunkie i would advise you to go and read a book called Propaganda by a man called Edward Bernays (an american) in his book he argues  that the manipulation of public opinion is a necessary part of democracy:

Here is what he says:

The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. , We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. , In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons, who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.

This man is known as the modern day founder of public relations in the western world.

His view was that the masses are too dumb and irrational to make their own decisions and therefore it is the duty of  THE ELITE TO SHAPE THE MINDSET OF THE MAN ON THE STREET.

Is this getting through to you? Do you now understand that a small elite group condition and influence the mindset of the masses in the western world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

I could not have said it better. You stated it as it is in your above comment

cap28 when it comes to calling a spade a spade and to getting down to the truth of the matter
most people are in denial.

I know we can come on Nairaland and have fun, but when people post comments in serious sections
of the forum like politics, business etc they should not play around with their *weightless opinions*.

As a rule i dont give a damm about my opinion, what matters to me is what is "REALLY GOING ON"
and if i dont have the answer, i make effort to find it.

The Truth you stated above is just plain and simple, when any news comes out on the mainstream
i always go the internet to see what is the alternative story because somebody out there
in "cyber-world" has *the real scoop* and is ready to blow the whistle and say what is really going on.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by AngieFan(f): 9:21pm On Oct 10, 2010
Who is watching?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 10, 2010
LOL

I am watching it.

Is Oluomo scared of the camera?
. . . . . a hand shake through the curtains. . . .LOL
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by IBEXY(m): 9:25pm On Oct 10, 2010
this is so shameful. The world ought to know though.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 10, 2010
This guy don sheeet for church

Dude says he goes to Italy for shopping.
When asked where in Italy, he said Madrid.

LMAO
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by IBEXY(m): 9:27pm On Oct 10, 2010
he does his shopping in italy  grin
they have no idea how stupid they look
effing extortionists
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by AngieFan(f): 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2010
In this particular scene Lagos looks like a bomb site.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by parki: 9:29pm On Oct 10, 2010
man i am watching it as well o
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by AngieFan(f): 9:30pm On Oct 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

This guy don sheeet for church

Dude says he goes to Italy for shopping.
When asked where in Italy, he said Madrid.

LMAO

At least he corrected himself but still embarrassing, lol
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 10, 2010
Strange though

Mamoc speaks decent to good english
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ponytail: 9:32pm On Oct 10, 2010
i am a samurai; we dont take stock of the number of people that die, na wah!

meanwhile MC dey drive hummer!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ponytail: 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2010
pasuma wonder in the house!!!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 10, 2010
AngieFan:

At least he corrected himself but still embarrassing, lol
Did he correct himself??

I must've missed that
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by heryyy(m): 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2010
hahahahahahahahahahahha im loving this grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2010
But, how can this rapscallion be recognised by Fashola??

His actions are not hidden . . .
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by AngieFan(f): 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

Did he correct himself??

I must've missed that

I think someone off camera corrected him and then he said Milan and Napoli.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by IBEXY(m): 9:39pm On Oct 10, 2010
Governement openly backs area boys  shocked
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by chamotex(m): 9:39pm On Oct 10, 2010
Oluomo cant even constuct 3 words together in English . . . what a shame?
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 10, 2010
AngieFan:

I think someone off camera corrected him and then he said Milan and Napoli.
Thanks for pointing that out. wink wink
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by chamotex(m): 9:41pm On Oct 10, 2010
See this one trying to speak phonetics
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 10, 2010
ROTFLMAO

cross and die
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ponytail: 9:42pm On Oct 10, 2010
chamotex:

See this one trying to speak phonetics

in fact the thing tire me
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by parki: 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2010
atleast them get 20mins more
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by AngieFan(f): 9:44pm On Oct 10, 2010
If they don't give money, I'll give them slap and collect money by force, !LOL!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by IBEXY(m): 9:45pm On Oct 10, 2010
I love this. The world needs to know.
Where are those government boys who defend this corrupt society. Where are all those sychophants.
Let them explains all this criminal activities.
What do you do? Am an area boy.
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by ponytail: 9:45pm On Oct 10, 2010
cross and die na rap star
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 10, 2010
Imagine!

The Lagos state Govt and Fashola gives this Oluomo dude a pass??
What a joke!
Re: Bbc2 To Air Law & Disorder In Lagos Sun, 10 Oct 2010, 21:00 (pic) by AngieFan(f): 9:49pm On Oct 10, 2010
WOW! Lagos looks scary.  .   .  shocked shocked shocked Louis is brave though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Benue House Of Assembly Ends In A Rowdy Session Today / I Can't Stand Slaughter Of 76 People Killed By Herdsmen In Benue - Gov. Umahi / Falana Demands Identity Of VIP Who Closed Abuja Airspace For 30 Mins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.