Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,829 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again (31443 Views)

Messi's Ligue 1 Goal Drought Continues: No Goal In Five Games / Messi Lifts The 2021 Copa America Trophy As Argentina Defeats Brazil (Video) / Diego Maradona Buried As Argentina Grieves (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 7:26am On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

U are so funny with the talk of Ronaldo never ousted Messi in any competition... It shows I was even wasting my time on a lost delusional sheep... By the way, eto 09 , Pedro 1st goal and villa winning goal made the difference in 2011, Messi just added the 3rd... He never scored an opening goal, equalising goal or winning goal in those u mentioned... That's what they call decisive
it is either u don't watch matches or u don't know what to watch when viewing football ball.
Messi scored the goal that sealed up the match at UCL '09.
Messi was the man that created villa's goal. It got to another Barcelona player b4 getting to villa's foot. u weren't aware of messi's influence bcus it wasn't in stat that Messi made the assist (when u quickly browsed out the summary of the match). And chance created is scarcely recorded in match stats.
Let me tell u 2 things u need to know
1. Goals and assist isn't the only shiit in a football game {messi and iniesta were decisive at UCL 2015 despite not recording a goal}.

2. U need to start watching live matches nowadays to compliment ur zeal for football. If u keeping updating urself with stats and match summary, u wouldnt know who played really well or who did bad despite recording a goal.
{that's exactly why I don't pack stats when debating abt smtin and prefer using logic with u}
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 7:34am On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

it is either u don't watch matches or u don't know what to watch when viewing football ball.
Messi was the man that created villa's goal. It got to another Barcelona player b4 getting to villa's foot. u weren't aware of messi's influence bcus it wasn't in stat that Messi made the assist (when u quickly browsed out the summary of the match). And chance created is scarcely recorded in match stats.
1. Goals and assist isn't the only shiit in a football game {messi and iniesta were decisive at UCL 2015 despite not recording a goal}.

2. U need to start watching live matches nowadays to compliment ur zeal for football. If u keeping updating urself with stats and match summary, u wouldnt know who played really well or who did bad despite recording a goal.
{that's exactly why I don't pack stats when debating abt smtin and prefer using logic with u}

Typical of Messi fans... Will always wanna find something sha for their guy... Always searching for one thing , very soon u guys will start to tell us that he was the one that had the throw in that let yo the goal or he played the corner kick that led to the goal... As I said b4 , u guys can live in ur lucid dreams

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 7:36am On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

I still don't agree with u... Forget alves in this discussion cos u are meant to understand that in every team, there is that one great player that all have their eyes on , u can't bring in alves to that effect... Henry win everything as well in football just like zidane but zidane will always b ahead of him... Ask urself this question, y were those players mentioned ?? Now Pele was outstanding for Brazil and Santos ,won titles with them, maradona was outstanding as well , won titles with Argentina ( 2 Copa America and a WC) and lowly Napoli , zidane WC ,euros ,WC and champions League with real Madrid and league titles with juventus, don't forget when he said he had to win the CL to b mentioned amongst the greats after loosing back to back CL final with juventus ... Cr7 is the first player in history to win league titles in the 3 major Leagues and was the outstanding player in those teams, winning top scorer for those teams and winning best player in those leagues, also won the euros and nations league with lowly Portugal, a team that had never featured in any major final in history till he was called up , a team that had only previously featured in 3 WCs b4 he joined the team .... He is the second highest goal scorer in the history of world football ahead of GERD Muller (Germany ), Pele ( Brazil) and Messi ( Argentina) ... It's unfair to say that a Messi that has only done extremely well for Barcelona is a better player... Ronaldo wasn't just in those teams , he was the best player in those teams ... U guys are just so hateful and so biased
1. which one is 3 major leagues??
2. Messi is a better player than anybody the guy u quoted mentioned
3. Some Messians blived bcus messi is the best player the world has ever seen, so he deserve the title.
So on what basis have u called Ronaldo a GOAT??
{now don't tell me, the "he conquered on different league" story tho, others DAT did it b4 him had gone into oblivion}
4. Between mourinho and guardiola, who do u consider a better and greater coach??
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 7:38am On Jul 05, 2019
ReeLoaDead:

So you are trying to tell me that Chile had a more talented team than Argentina in those two finals?? grin
Ha ha ha, Messi blaming the pitch and Messi fan girls blaming the other players & team doctor ... desperation because senor Messi forked up again grin grin
CR7 has delivered a trophy for Portugal while Messi and his cast of stars in Argentina have delivered failure after failure at Copa America forcing the Messi-fangirls to scramble with excuses grin grin grin
We shall see who is boss in FIFA gala nigt and Balon dor night. By the way, Tell CR7 to sign for PSG to help dem win league which they crave for in 8yrs
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 7:41am On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Typical of Messi fans... Will always wanna find something sha for their guy... Always searching for one thing , very soon u guys will start to tell us that he was the one that had the throw in that let yo the goal or he played the corner kick that led to the goal... As I said b4 , u guys can live in ur lucid dreams
Busting ur ignorant bubbles. Ronaldo wasn't decisive in UCL 2014, UCL 2016 and UCL 2018 finale. I.e 3 out of 5
The world needed him most at UCL 2014 final, he couldn't deliver until ramos scored a header in the last breathe of the game.
Well I knew all these, bcus I watch matches rather than base my judgement and opinion on stats
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by deltateam: 8:53am On Jul 05, 2019
If only Egypt will win Afcon, I would suggest they give Salah ballon d'or.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 9:09am On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

Busting ur ignorant bubbles. Ronaldo wasn't decisive in UCL 2014, UCL 2016 and UCL 2018 finale. I.e 3 out of 5
The world needed him most at UCL 2014 final, he couldn't deliver until ramos scored a header in the last breathe of the game.
Well I knew all these, bcus I watch matches rather than base my judgement and opinion on stats

Then u can also say Messi has never delivered as well cos it was eto that scored the winning goal in 09 , Messi scored to seal the win...Ramos scored as well , but Ronaldo scored to seal the win in 2014... In 2016 , Ronaldo scored the decisive penalty to lift the cup , so he was decisive as well... In 08 , he scored the opener against Chelsea , that was a crucial goal as well cos if he didn't, Chelsea would hv scored the only goal of that game

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 9:18am On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

1. which one is 3 major leagues??
2. Messi is a better player than anybody the guy u quoted mentioned
3. Some Messians blived bcus messi is the best player the world has ever seen, so he deserve the title.
So on what basis have u called Ronaldo a GOAT??
{now don't tell me, the "he conquered on different league" story tho, others DAT did it b4 him had gone into oblivion}
4. Between mourinho and guardiola, who do u consider a better and greater coach??

The three biggest leagues in Europe are the English league ( he conquered) Spanish league ( he conquered) Italian league ( also conquered) he is the first and only man to conquer the 3 biggest leagues in Europe....no one has ever done that...

Guadiola is a better coach presently cos he has proved himself outside Barca...
But mourinho on record has achieved more ... The only reason y we can say guadiola is better is because mourinho hasn't performed or won a major title in over 4 yrs now ... Ronaldo and Messi is a different case , cos they are still performing, non has dropped form...

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 9:33am On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Then u can also say Messi has never delivered as well cos it was eto that scored the winning goal in 09 , Messi scored to seal the win...Ramos scored as well , but Ronaldo scored to seal the win in 2014... In 2016 , Ronaldo scored the decisive penalty to lift the cup , so he was decisive as well... In 08 , he scored the opener against Chelsea , that was a crucial goal as well cos if he didn't, Chelsea would hv scored the only goal of that game
UCL finale match is the biggest game on club level.
Madrid were leading 3-1 b4 Ronaldo scored, chances of comeback is slim. Ramos was the MOTM (2014)
He couldn't score till the match was dragged to penalty. why does he have to be the one for the last play, he was forcing glory. (2016)
Ronaldo 2018 did score a single goal, and remember when he doesn't score he is as good as useless.

Messi was Fan MOTM in '09 with a goal that sealed victory

Messi was uefa and fan MOTM 2011 he gave Barcelona the lead goal
if u did watch the 2011 final match, can you explain how Villa scored his third goal??
Like my fellow messian would say;
Hate responsibly!!
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 9:54am On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

The three biggest leagues in Europe are the English league ( he conquered) Spanish league ( he conquered) Italian league ( also conquered) he is the first and only man to conquer the 3 biggest leagues in Europe....no one has ever done that...

Guadiola is a better coach presently cos he has proved himself outside Barca...
But mourinho on record has achieved more ... The only reason y we can say guadiola is better is because mourinho hasn't performed or won a major title in over 4 yrs now ... Ronaldo and Messi is a different case , cos they are still performing, non has dropped form...
"but on record mourinho had achieved more"
LMAO
pls state what mourinho achieved oooo
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Jokerman(m): 10:44am On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

LMAO

UCL with a small team like Porto compared to better teams that year....

Or can you tell us what Guardiola has done or won that Mourinho hasn't won??

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 11:46am On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

LMAO

Two CL titles with 2 different clubs Porto and inter... These are teams that having won CL since it's new era.... League titles in Portugal, Spain and England ... Mourinho has won every major trophy in history of club football... Now tell me about guadiola
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 11:52am On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

UCL finale match is the biggest game on club level.
Madrid were leading 3-1 b4 Ronaldo scored, chances of comeback is slim. Ramos was the MOTM (2014)
He couldn't score till the match was dragged to penalty. why does he have to be the one for the last play, he was forcing glory. (2016)
Ronaldo 2018 did score a single goal, and remember when he doesn't score he is as good as useless.

Messi was Fan MOTM in '09 with a goal that sealed victory

Messi was uefa and fan MOTM 2011 he gave Barcelona the lead goal
if u did watch the 2011 final match, can you explain how Villa scored his third goal??
Like my fellow messian would say;
Hate responsibly!!

Then we can as well say Messi was useless in 2015 final cos he neither score nor assisted...

Now talking about penalty, saying he wanted to take glory... Y dint ur Messi take glory Vs Chile .... He blew his spot kick over to planet Mars... And started crying like a baby... U think it's easy to score penalty... Y dint John Terry score the final kick that wud hv won Chelsea the trophy??

Ronaldo was motm in the final of 2016 and 2017
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 12:00pm On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

U just put another biased trash... Which one is Messi passed the ball to the person that passed to villa?? U guys are not well and u don't know it... Goodbye
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by virago(f): 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2019
eni4real:
The same reason why Victor Moses is better than Kanu!!!

International trophy!!!

What are you on about

Both have won champions League
Both have won the Premiership
Kanu has won African football player of the year twice
Kanu has won Olympic Gold medal
Kanu has been listed in the top 6 FIFA player of the year
Moses has won Nations cup

Please how is Moses better than Kanu
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 12:17pm On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Two CL titles with 2 different clubs Porto and inter... These are teams that having won CL since it's new era.... League titles in Portugal, Spain and England ... Mourinho has won every major trophy in history of club football... Now tell me about guadiola
I don't give 2 Bleep concerning where he won champions league. My own is, he won 2 UCL.
Guardiola won league title {back to back , FYI} at Spain, Germany and England.
100 point (the highest) to win Premier League (ur so-hyped numero 1 league).
All 6 club trophies winable in his first season as senior manager.
Treble winning Barcelona 2009.
2010 top 3 ballon d'or nominees were players under Guardiola.
The fourmidable mancity ; He won all winnable trophies that a club could win within England premier league.
Let's stop at that.
It's nice for u to truly admit Guardiola is better and greater than mourinho.
This is exactly how I would have/ will shut u up when messi clinch an international trophy
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 12:29pm On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

U just put another biased trash... Which one is Messi passed the ball to the person that passed to villa?? U guys are not well and u don't know it... Goodbye

Do urself a favor and watch d highlight . Messi dribbled man utd players into the box 18 to create that key Chance.
I tell u this, I love ur zeal for football but try complimenting that by watching live football matches. Until then, I won't drag any football argument with u again
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 12:30pm On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

I don't give 2 Bleep concerning where he won champions league. My own is, he won 2 UCL.
The fourmidable mancity ; He won all winnable trophies that a club could win within England premier league.
Let's stop at that.
This is exactly how I would have/ will shut u up when messi clinch an international trophy

But mourinho also did the treble with Inter and Porto... Guadiola took up teams that were already used to winning league titles... Guadiola left but Barca still winning la Liga.. he also left Bayern and they are still winning bundesliga like they used to b4 he arrived... Man city were 2time champs within space of 3yrs with two different managers... Chelsea had never won the premier League till mourinho broke the arsenal man utd dominance and did it back to back , also accumulated the highest points ever as of then 95 points... So what u saying

Mourinho came to Spain and also broke the Barca dominance ... Barca won 09,10,11 b4 mourinho knocked guadiolas Barca in his second season and accumulated the first 100 points ever in la Liga , thereby sending guadiola into sabbatical leave
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 12:31pm On Jul 05, 2019
virago:

What are you on about
Both have won champions League Both have won the Premiership Kanu has won African football player of the year twice Kanu has won Olympic Gold medal Kanu has been listed in the top 6 FIFA player of the year Moses has won Nations cup

I get u. Now who is greater between messi and Ronaldo
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

Let's stop at that.

Pls don't mention 2010...that was fake, as long as snijder dint feature, that award was fake.... Pls whats the difference between snijder 2010 and Messi 2014 / modric 2018... They all got to the final of the WC and lost ... Snijder was top scorer and won the highest number of motm in that WC, won the treble with inter Milan but Messi won balon d'Or and snijder wasn't nominated... That's to show u hw Messi is always favoured
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 12:47pm On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

But mourinho also did the treble with Inter and Porto... Guadiola took up teams that were already used to winning league titles... Guadiola left but Barca still winning la Liga.. he also left Bayern and they are still winning bundesliga like they used to b4 he arrived... Man city were 2time champs within space of 3yrs with two different managers... Chelsea had never won the premier League till mourinho broke the arsenal man utd dominance and did it back to back , also accumulated the highest points ever as of then 95 points... So what u saying

Mourinho came to Spain and also broke the Barca dominance ... Barca won 09,10,11 b4 mourinho knocked guadiolas Barca in his second season and accumulated the first 100 points ever in la Liga , thereby sending guadiola into sabbatical leave
1. what treble did mourinho do?
2. U said Guardiola picked teams that were used to winning league titles, but isn't that what Ronaldo had been doing {yet u called Messians ,biased fans}
3. Barcelona continued their dominance bcus they followed Guardiola's philosophy .
4. Mourinho sent Guardiola to sabbatical leave? you must be ignorant. 09,10 and '11 which mourinho was present, Guardiola triumphed . He sent world class players away and put his Philosophy in his youngsters. Any team Guardiola touches they become mighty, his players become world class, U are sounding as if na players they give Guardiola trophy. Its his philosophy, his strategy, his tactic.
5. Which back to back did mourinho do? (b4 Guardiola's own was Ferguson}
6. When was the last time mourinho win a trophy
7. No manager in the world, I repeat no manager in the world has /had amazed Guardiola's achievement.
All mourinho's record u stated there was none, Guardiola doesn't have {in fact, his were better}
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 12:54pm On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Pls don't mention 2010...that was fake, as long as snijder dint feature, that award was fake.... Pls whats the difference between snijder 2010 and Messi 2014 / modric 2018... They all got to the final of the WC and lost ... Snijder was top scorer and won the highest number of motm in that WC, won the treble with inter Milan but Messi won balon d'Or and snijder wasn't nominated... That's to show u hw Messi is always favoured
Tell Ballon d'or to take 2010 from Messi and 2013 from Ronaldo. ribery was robbed
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Jeferious: 1:12pm On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

I still don't agree with u... Forget alves in this discussion cos u are meant to understand that in every team, there is that one great player that all have their eyes on , u can't bring in alves to that effect... Henry win everything as well in football just like zidane but zidane will always b ahead of him... Ask urself this question, y were those players mentioned ?? Now Pele was outstanding for Brazil and Santos ,won titles with them, maradona was outstanding as well , won titles with Argentina ( 2 Copa America and a WC) and lowly Napoli , zidane WC ,euros ,WC and champions League with real Madrid and league titles with juventus, don't forget when he said he had to win the CL to b mentioned amongst the greats after loosing back to back CL final with juventus ... Cr7 is the first player in history to win league titles in the 3 major Leagues and was the outstanding player in those teams, winning top scorer for those teams and winning best player in those leagues, also won the euros and nations league with lowly Portugal, a team that had never featured in any major final in history till he was called up , a team that had only previously featured in 3 WCs b4 he joined the team .... He is the second highest goal scorer in the history of world football ahead of GERD Muller (Germany ), Pele ( Brazil) and Messi ( Argentina) ... It's unfair to say that a Messi that has only done extremely well for Barcelona is a better player... Ronaldo wasn't just in those teams , he was the best player in those teams ... U guys are just so hateful and so biased
In a football team, there are eleven players: defenders, midfielders and strikers. They all have obligations to fulfill in each match, according to the positions they occupy on the pitch. It's just a pity that the media is excessively focused on forwards. Those who score the goals have the spotlight focused on them, while all others who contribute to every other facet of the game apart from goalscoring are largely ignored. For the first time since 2006, FIFA is appreciating that football is bigger than scoring goals. We saw it last year when Modric won the Ballon d'or, and it could also happen this year if Van Dijk wins it too.

Secondly, Portugal is not a lowly team. Rui Patricio is a brilliant goalkeeper. Pepe, Jose Fonte and Bruno Alves are all world-class centre-backs. Raphael Guerrero is doing well at Dortmund Borrusia. Cedric is average, but his game is really improving. William Carlvaho is the brain behind Real Betis dominating Barcelona in terms of ball possession this season. I would put him in the same class with Sergio Busquets. A veritable midfield boss. Andre Gomes, Joao Moutinho, Renato Sanches are not bad players. Goncalo Guides was outstanding for Valencia this past season. What would I say about Bernardo Silva, or Quaresma? My dear, Portugal is a fairly good team, and Ronaldo has great teammates surrounding him in his national side. Besides the team has a great coach who has been more than able to coordinate that team.

Messi is obviously a better individual player than Ronaldo, though I must confess that Ronaldo is far more ambitious. The former relies mainly on his talent and technical genius too much- he is too laidback for my liking. However, if he had teammates who supplied what he lacked as a player, he would have with their help won something with Argentina. But his teammates don't help matters. They rely on him too much... obviously they fail to recognize that he's just a "laidback" genius who has nothing else to offer than talent and immense technical abilities.

But still at that, Messi is better than Ronaldo or any other player in history. The GOAT title was originally meant for him. Ronaldo's fans stole the title because they thought their icon is giving the Argentine a run for his money. Of course, they would always supply useless stats to prove a futile point. But Messi is that kind of player that whatever stats you supply in his favour would not do justice to what he has contributed to the game. A laidback genius quite alright, but a pure genius. 100% genius.

Of course, I expect dissent to my opinion. I expect to see some express that the Portuguese Ronaldo is the rightful GOAT. No problem. Just conduct my little experiment of taking Messi out of the picture, and compare the Portuguese Ronaldo with Maradona, De Lima, Zidane, Pele, Rivaldo. You'd see the stupidity in that claim with your own eyes.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by ReeLoaDead(m): 1:42pm On Jul 05, 2019
Frankaka8:
We shall see who is boss in FIFA gala nigt and Balon dor night. By the way, Tell CR7 to sign for PSG to help dem win league which they crave for in 8yrs
I know it pains Messi fanatics that he has not won any trophies for Argentina senior national team. I suggest instead coming up with all sorts of excuses, Messi fanatics should start months of prayers and fasting ... grin

1 Like

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2019
Blabbermouth:

1. what treble did mourinho do?
2. U said Guardiola picked teams that were used to winning league titles, but isn't that what Ronaldo had been doing {yet u called Messians ,biased fans}
3. Barcelona continued their dominance bcus they followed Guardiola's philosophy .
4. Mourinho sent Guardiola to sabbatical leave? you must be ignorant. 09,10 and '11 which mourinho was present, Guardiola triumphed . He sent world class players away and put his Philosophy in his youngsters. Any team Guardiola touches they become mighty, his players become world class, U are sounding as if na players they give Guardiola trophy. Its his philosophy, his strategy, his tactic.
5. Which back to back did mourinho do? (b4 Guardiola's own was Ferguson}
6. When was the last time mourinho win a trophy
7. No manager in the world, I repeat no manager in the world has /had amazed Guardiola's achievement.
All mourinho's record u stated there was none, Guardiola doesn't have {in fact, his were better}

I even tot I was even arguing with an informed analyst... I dint even know u don't even know anything apart from Barca and Messi... That's the reason y u are not well informed...

So u don't know mourinho did back to back with Chelsea , inter Milan and Porto in his first seasons there... So u don't know he won treble with Porto twice and once with inter..
Frank rijkaard was the person that set up Barca and not guadiola for ur info

I'm done with u...tot I was even arguing with someone that knows football eni4real is even way more informed than u ...just that he is biased...and I understand as a fan
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Beverlyjean(f): 2:09pm On Jul 05, 2019
Jeferious:
In a football team, there are eleven players: defenders, midfielders and strikers. They all have obligations to fulfill in each match, according to the positions they occupy on the pitch. It's just a pity that the media is excessively focused on forwards. Those who score the goals have the spotlight focused on them, while all others who contribute to every other facet of the game apart from goalscoring are largely ignored. For the first time since 2006, FIFA is appreciating that football is bigger than scoring goals. We saw it last year when Modric won the Ballon d'or, and it could also happen this year if Van Dijk wins it too.

Secondly, Portugal is not a lowly team. Rui Patricio is a brilliant goalkeeper. Pepe, Jose Fonte and Bruno Alves are all world-class centre-backs. Raphael Guerrero is doing well at Dortmund Borrusia. Cedric is average, but his game is really improving. William Carlvaho is the brain behind Real Betis dominating Barcelona in terms of ball possession this season. I would put him in the same class with Sergio Busquets. A veritable midfield boss. Andre Gomes, Joao Moutinho, Renato Sanches are not bad players. Goncalo Guides was outstanding for Valencia this past season. What would I say about Bernardo Silva, or Quaresma? My dear, Portugal is a fairly good team, and Ronaldo has great teammates surrounding him in his national side. Besides the team has a great coach who has been more than able to coordinate that team.

Messi is obviously a better individual player than Ronaldo, though I must confess that Ronaldo is far more ambitious. The former relies mainly on his talent and technical genius too much- he is too laidback for my liking. However, if he had teammates who supplied what he lacked as a player, he would have with their help won something with Argentina. But his teammates don't help matters. They rely on him too much... obviously they fail to recognize that he's just a "laidback" genius who has nothing else to offer than talent and immense technical abilities.

But still at that, Messi is better than Ronaldo or any other player in history. The GOAT title was originally meant for him. Ronaldo's fans stole the title because they thought their icon is giving the Argentine a run for his money. Of course, they would always supply useless stats to prove a futile point. But Messi is that kind of player that whatever stats you supply in his favour would not do justice to what he has contributed to the game. A laidback genius quite alright, but a pure genius. 100% genius.

Of course, I expect dissent to my opinion. I expect to see some express that the Portuguese Ronaldo is the rightful GOAT. No problem. Just conduct my little experiment of taking Messi out of the picture, and compare the Portuguese Ronaldo with Maradona, De Lima, Zidane, Pele, Rivaldo. You'd see the stupidity in that claim with your own eyes.

U say messis team mates ar not helpful like he plays for some Bosnia or Cameroon ... Now learn from the stats below... And tell me Hu has his team t contributing more

2 Likes

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 05, 2019
virago:

What are you on about

Both have won champions League
Both have won the Premiership
Kanu has won African football player of the year twice
Kanu has won Olympic Gold medal
Kanu has been listed in the top 6 FIFA player of the year
Moses has won Nations cup

Kanu has no international trophy!!! He won nothing for Nigeria!! Olympic and Under 20 WC is nothing in Messi's discussion. Let's make it nothing in Kanu's discussion too... Victor Moses and Sunday Mba were more 'useful' for Nigeria than Kanu will ever be..

Kanu won those awards because of his performance in the club and for having world best teammates...

Victor Moses practically carried Nigeria on his Shoulder in 2013 AFCON!!!
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Frankaka8(m): 2:38pm On Jul 05, 2019
ReeLoaDead:
I know it pains Messi fanatics that he has not won any trophies for Argentina senior national team. I suggest instead coming up with all sorts of excuses, Messi fanatics should start months of prayers and fasting ... grin
I am not a Messi fanatic. I am hardcore liverpool and Gerrad freak. Great foitballers and coaches knows MESSI is football. Naija analyst have no eye for football. JUMPING TO BIG TEAMS TO WIN TROPHY IS ORDINARY.

Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by ReeLoaDead(m): 2:58pm On Jul 05, 2019
Frankaka8:
I am not a Messi fanatic. I am hardcore liverpool and Gerrad freak. Great foitballers and coaches knows MESSI is football. Naija analyst have no eye for football. JUMPING TO BIG TEAMS TO WIN TROPHY IS ORDINARY.
Messi is in denial, he blamed his recent failures at Copa 2019 on the "football pitch" grin grin
Interestingly, Messi fanatics are also in denial, they sometimes claim not to be obsessed with Messi and obstinately blame others for Messi's failures grin grin grin...
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Blabbermouth: 3:09pm On Jul 05, 2019
Beverlyjean:

I even tot I was even arguing with an informed analyst... I dint even know u don't even know anything apart from Barca and Messi... That's the reason y u are not well informed...

So u don't know mourinho did back to back with Chelsea , inter Milan and Porto in his first seasons there... So u don't know he won treble with Porto twice and once with inter..
Frank rijkaard was the person that set up Barca and not guadiola for ur info

I'm done with u...tot I was even arguing with someone that knows football eni4real is even way more informed than u ...just that he is biased...and I understand as a fan
This was how u shld have answered my question (s)
1. Mourinho won treble with inter only {I asked u dis qst bcus u said he won treble with Porto, and with ur statement I felt you don't know wat a treble is generally referred to (UCL, League cup, and the country's league 1 title)}
5. Mourinho did a back to back with Chelsea { in this question I was only referring to EPL}
(ps: guess I was ignorant that mourinho did it at Chelsea in his first spell there)
THINGS U WERE IGNORANT ABT
1. What a treble is generally referred to as
2. the context of "back-to-back " I was referring to
3. U don't really know anything abt Barcelona, if u did, u won't be mentioning rijkaard . if u had called Cruyff, it would still be tolerably debatable.
So don't go down that lane at all!!!
4. eni4real knows football STATS than I do, and I admit. But did u notice he hasn't convinced u nor u 'him. Everyone could tweak stats based on wat favors u or ur opinion. Dats why I prefer logic.
there is one guy on this thread (maybe this page sef) , convincing u that if messi is removed from the picture how the jigsaw of Ronaldo being the GOAT won't fit at all, if he had said these same thing with stats, u would have bombarded him with stats that suits u.
In some other thread, I purposely asked u a QST concerning Messi et Ronaldo "who is greater battle" , from u and Jokerman response, if the day eventually comes, u see hw speechless u would be. Just as u couldn't bring up anything for mourinho that Guardiola hasn't trampled upon, (where as there are other bullet of stats for Guardiola in his arsenal)
SmH... Take my advice tho, and start watching football.
Re: Copa America: Messi Trophy drought continues as Argentina fails yet again by Alejobs: 3:44pm On Jul 05, 2019
What can we do without reliable power really? We don't deserve this heat!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

EPL: I Will Never Play For Arsenal – Lukaku / Europa League Group Stage Draw Released (see full fixtures) / 2019 CAF Awards (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.